Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: Raising The Bar

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The 16 chefs are given 40 minutes to execute the Bar Menu Challenge. Then, the chefs prep for the season's first dinner service, as they adapt to an all-new menu. And for the first time ever, the restaurant will host Chef Tables on opening night with special VIP guests that include singer Jordin Sparks, Joe Mantegna, French Stewart, Keith Sweat, and Kirstin Maldonado from Pentatonix.

Ah, the return of the Z-list celebrities in the dining room! I get a kick out of those because you never know who might become relevant and how the announcer is always like "As always, HK is the place to be for the biggest celebs." Millie Bobby Brown (the little girl from Stranger Things) actually made an appearance on HK back when she was still fairly unknown. It's hilarious. She would actually be the most legitimate "get" for this show in a long time if she went on again. I love Joe Mantegna, though. He's pretty legit as far as "celebrity" guests on HK go.

I'm not fully convinced Elise's food in the challenges is all that good. I'm wondering if they're looking for reasons to justify keeping that shit stirrer around for a while. Then again I'm probably just bitter that she's on my screen again. Also: shut up, Dana. Although those tacos looked amazing.

I dunno man, for all that I whined about the show becoming stale, I miss the Beef Wellington. It's the one thing I've always wanted to try.

I love that Christina is such a big shot now. I loved her during the original season and I get a perverse kick out of her former fellow competitors having to defer to her. I also love Robyn for absolutely no discernible reason. She's so clearly totally vulnerable under that prickly exterior.

It's really ridiculous of Ramsay to kick everyone out just because a few of them screwed up. Has never made sense to me and now he has to either finish it all himself or have the other kitchen double up.

And finally, I would like to thank HK for giving me some much-needed perspective. I had an absolutely horrible screw-up today at work, and while I was upset all day about it, at least my failures were not broadcast to millions (okay, thousands) of viewers and a room full of diners. And at least I didn't have Ramsay yelling in my face.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4

Christina is looking a little dowdy. What happened? I had to google her before I could remember her. 

I don't think it was right to send someone from the winning team home. A Red team person should have been sent home first and  the Blue team member. (Ben??)  and even then, I think he should have been given a chance to pull things together,

• Love 4
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I dunno man, for all that I whined about the show becoming stale, I miss the Beef Wellington. It's the one thing I've always wanted to try.

I love that Christina is such a big shot now. 

We had dinner one night at the Gordon Ramsay Steakhouse in the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas. We had the tartar for our appetizer and the Wellington as our entree. Both were incredible. And this was shortly after Christina won her season, and she was there running the pass.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I don't think it was right to send someone from the winning team home. A Red team person should have been sent home first and the Blue team member. (Ben??)  and even then, I think he should have been given a chance to pull things together,

I don't agree.  This is one time when sending home a member of the winning team was absolutely justified.  Ben was having a real problem keeping up due to his diabetic problems and probably wasn't going to get better quickly enough for Ramsay's liking.  As we saw, he almost collapsed once during service.  Imagine what could've happened when the numbers dwindled and he had to do even more in the kitchen.  He could've made it worse for himself.  I think it was a mercy elimination for him, if nothing else.

That said, Elise had better appreciate the bailout Ramsay gave her.  She was the most responsible for the women's loss and, had Ben been healthier, would've been booted, for sure.  She'd better be careful going forward.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 8

I thought kicking Ben out was both wise... because I think he was having some underlying health issues, but also totally asshole because if the show is genuinely worried he will keel over, then say that and not the whole routine othat he's the one who sucked the most.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I thought kicking Ben out was both wise... because I think he was having some underlying health issues, but also totally asshole because if the show is genuinely worried he will keel over, then say that and not the whole routine othat he's the one who sucked the most.

I think the producers felt like he was healthy enough, though, until he nearly collapsed.  I think it was then that they realized he needed to go, regardless of who won or lost.

Oh, and while it's early on, I think we can erase Ashley from the list of potential winners.  She was shown saying, in a confessional, that she never cried after making a mistake, and then had it juxtaposed with a flashback to the F3 of her season, when she did just that after she floundered at the pass.  Winners aren't contradicted like that at any point in time.

• Love 3

I figured Ben was going when they started showing flashbacks of him being praised in his season. I wonder if he and the show came to an agreement that he'd be brought back some time when he's healthier. 

Wasn't that Adam Rodriguez, another Criminal Minds cast member, with Joe? I wondered why he didn't get mentioned. Jordin seemed like she really was a fan of the show. 

I wish Elise had gone, because I'm sick of listening to her. 

• Love 2

Yeah, that looked like Adam Rodriguez to me, too.

I also think they should have just s aid "Ben, your medical issues are making us send you". Because it was his medical issues.

And the irrational Barbie hate continues.

• Love 4

After re-thinking the whole premise of this "All-Stars" show, I've concluded these cooks/chefs/idiots are the focal point of a season that will consist of quite a bit of turmoil and very little cooking skills. Yeah, they can cook, as well they should, but they are here just to pump the GR ratings. As mentioned quite a few times (above), although I've watched every season, I have literally no recollection of most of these people.

As predicted (last week) they are living up to expectations. It also looks like it continues next week. (see quote)

1 minute ago, mertensia said:

Yeah, that looked like Adam Rodriguez to me, too.

I also think they should have just s aid "Ben, your medical issues are making us send you". Because it was his medical issues.

And the irrational Barbie hate continues.

I agree with this.  Ben is morbidly obese and was obviously laboring heavily.  They've sent people home due to medical conditions before and could have done it this time without the manufactured drama.

Did I say "manufactured drama"?  Duh - this is Hell's Kitchen.

That said, I really want to see Elise get taken down.  Maybe they could import Matthew Grunwald for a Sudden Death Match.  Does that woman ever have a pleasant thing to say about anything?

Two shows in, and I'm kinda rooting for Milly.  I'd try his lobster poutine in a heartbeat.  And he reminds me of the jolly seafood guy at our local Costco.

• Love 8

Here we go again with the "To Be Continued".. i i assume the big argument will take up a third of the next episode,and the red team loses another challenge(which of course theyll blame on Elise)..

Edited by TDT
13 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Poor Ben... it was smart to get him out of there for health reasons, but I wish they’d have said that, instead of making him feel like he was the worst chef there.

It was really uncalled for. Clearly he didn't have as good a handle on his diabetes as he thought he did. That isn't something that can be helped.

I was also wondering why they frumped up Christina. She deserves better.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I was also wondering why they frumped up Christina. She deserves better.

Her look is most likely her own choice. Andi always looked better, but Christina may just prefer to be business-as-usual plain Jane.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Her look is most likely her own choice. Andi always looked better, but Christina may just prefer to be business-as-usual plain Jane.

In addition to the fact that her personality comes across as friendly as a fart.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Poor Ben... it was smart to get him out of there for health reasons, but I wish they’d have said that, instead of making him feel like he was the worst chef there.

Chef could have come across as a real hero - taking Ben aside privately after his consult with the medic.  "Ben, we've gotten a report from the medic that your health issues are a concern to you, and they are a concern to us as well.  We do NOT want you to take a chance on doing yourself irreparable harm.  We're going to allow you to withdraw from the competition with your head held high.  And since you're leaving, we won't have an elimination tonight in the kitchen."

Same result, different scenario.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Chef could have come across as a real hero - taking Ben aside privately after his consult with the medic.  "Ben, we've gotten a report from the medic that your health issues are a concern to you, and they are a concern to us as well.  We do NOT want you to take a chance on doing yourself irreparable harm.  We're going to allow you to withdraw from the competition with your head held high.  And since you're leaving, we won't have an elimination tonight in the kitchen."

Same result, different scenario.  

Exactly!! It’s how it’s done on Survivor, and other competitive reality shows.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I love Joe Mantegna, though. He's pretty legit as far as "celebrity" guests on HK go

Sitting next to Joe was his Criminal Minds co-star Adam Rodriguez. In fact, the way they were seated and the way they were filmed, you saw Adam more than you saw Joe. You'd think they would have filmed from a different angle or seated them differently.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If they wanted to pull Ben because of health, I wish they would have separately, because if the blue team WON, then a red chick (see: Elise) should have gotten bounced.

I think everyone has the same thought on this. Ramsay needs to be put in time out for a bit.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I think everyone has the same thought on this. Ramsay needs to be put in time out for a bit.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that Ramsay telling Ben he was being eliminated for not being "up" to the competition physically, not because he couldn't handle it in terms of skill.   And I was really listening for uncalled-for abusiveness.  It was more in the nuance of what Ramsay said than a direct statement.  Then later after Ben walked out Ramsay said he was a "liability" which is lawyer-speak for "he had to let him go because they don't want to risk a lawsuit if he had a heart attack on the show".  I know, I've been hanging around a lawyer for too many years now.

• Love 3

I know this show is full of commercial cliffhangers and rough-around-the-edges characters, and they probably keep Ramsay in an isolation chamber between scenes to keep his anger levels high, but was anyone else surprised at the collapse of the red team? Generally speaking, the black jackets are better than the chaff that they bring on for early eliminations, and many of them still work as cooks. I would have thought they'd have the teamwork and skills to pull off one dinner service.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, riprock said:

I know this show is full of commercial cliffhangers and rough-around-the-edges characters, and they probably keep Ramsay in an isolation chamber between scenes to keep his anger levels high, but was anyone else surprised at the collapse of the red team? Generally speaking, the black jackets are better than the chaff that they bring on for early eliminations, and many of them still work as cooks. I would have thought they'd have the teamwork and skills to pull off one dinner service.

You’d think that they would work well together, all of them having been in this before. And most all reaching near the end. But.... one has to remember this is an amped up reality show and it has Ramsay’s kiss of fakety-fake death written all over it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

You’d think that they would work well together, all of them having been in this before. And most all reaching near the end. But.... one has to remember this is an amped up reality show and it has Ramsay’s kiss of fakety-fake death written all over it.

I’ll also add that the red team seems to have the most drama and combative people of the season which doesn’t help in teamwork. Unluckily with Ben going home it would take 3 straight eleminations before a guy moving over there would be needed to even up the teams. I do hate how it’s male vs female, especially in this season there should’ve been a challenge with top 2 picking their teams.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, cooksdelight said:

I saw it a little differently. When Ben went to the medic, I saw him looking for an excuse to quit (a la Survivor). But he had no medical reason for doing so other than "I'm winded" and "I have blurry vision." I guess there must be something in the contract about "you can't quit unless you have an absolutely rock-solid medical reason for doing so" (or we'd get people quitting left and right).

I actually thought it was sort of kind to formally send him home at an elimination -- since it was clearly what Ben wanted. I looked at it akin to "allowing" someone to be voted out at tribal council on Survivor. James and his broken leg on Heroes vs Villains come to mind -- he was useless in challenges, but he was bandaged up and sent back to the game to be voted out by his tribe after a few days instead.

They had no medical reason to remove Ben from the game, so he was allowed to compete, completed a service on the winning team, and was then "honorably discharged" with a handshake from Ramsay. And the guy was clearly relieved. I thought they handled it pretty well, by Hell's Kitchen standards.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

That’s a great idea. Too bad Ramsay is stuck in “this is how we’ve always done it” mode.

Early in the season when we're being asked to keep track of a lot of people, Boys vs Girls is an easy-to-remember team dynamic.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that Ramsay telling Ben he was being eliminated for not being "up" to the competition physically, not because he couldn't handle it in terms of skill.   And I was really listening for uncalled-for abusiveness.  It was more in the nuance of what Ramsay said than a direct statement.  Then later after Ben walked out Ramsay said he was a "liability" which is lawyer-speak for "he had to let him go because they don't want to risk a lawsuit if he had a heart attack on the show".  I know, I've been hanging around a lawyer for too many years now.

I don't disagree that Ramsay wasn't directly abusive. I just find it unnecessarily cruel to tell the blue team they have won - which very much traditionally means the entire team is safe, especially when the red team had some serious issues with multiple people, let the red team do the song and dance over who should go, and then announce that the person with the poorest performance was Ben on the blue team. "We think you're too medically risky to continue" is not the same thing as what went down, which was some thinly veiled comments about his performance and that he was a liability.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, preeya said:

As predicted (last week) they are living up to expectations. It also looks like it continues next week. (see quote)

Many of these contestants only finished fifth or sixth in their season, so it's obviously BS when Gordon keeps saying they are "the best of the best." If they're "all-stars" at anything it's stirring up drama, starting with Elise. I fear that this season is going to be "The Elise Show," and I really had enough of her the first time around. But as we know, the way to become a reality show regular is to be obnoxious. (Look at how many times FN Star brought back the dreadful Penny Davidi).

Elise could've served completely raw steaks and they still would've found a way to save her. Ben's health problems gave them a convenient "out." But I'm wondering why he was even on the show in the first place. Considering that there are probably all kinds of legal liability issues, I would think that all contestants are given a medical screening, or at least have to provide some kind of documentation that they are healthy enough to participate.

You can just look at Ben and know he's not in good shape. Sad that's he's gone so physically down hill in just 10 years. In his talking head in the first show, he referred to himself as being "old." But he's only 36. I'm guessing that there are underlying emotional issues that need to be dealt with, but first he needs to tackle the weight gain, because right now he's a heart attack waiting to happen. The physical stuff he's describing is common for many American men, but generally not until their 50s or 60s.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Many of these contestants only finished fifth or sixth in their season, so it's obviously BS when Gordon keeps saying they are "the best of the best." 

I should think it a lot more accurate to call this show "The Biggest Losers".

• Love 1

Elise was on that awful Bravo show last year "Summer House"??? Anywho she was in Whistler acting the big shot as a concierge. She was so awful the crew revolted and she was fired partly in. She really is heinous.  

Christina is dressed to work in a hot, greasy kitchen. Not to win a beauty contest. Most cooks wear no makeup (well the women) pull their hair back and sweat like elephants all day. Doesn't lend itself to much more than frumpy.

Kitchens are extremely dangerous places. Having someone who is passing out is a MAJOR liability. They could fall into a hot stove top, plunge an arm into a hot deep fryer, and any no. of awful things. Having said that Yes he should have been asked to leave for his safety but he did look relieved. 

It's so sad how far down this show is. When it first started we in the Food and Beverage area were riveted by it! Now it's a big joke. 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2017 at 10:17 AM, illdoc said:

Sitting next to Joe was his Criminal Minds co-star Adam Rodriguez. In fact, the way they were seated and the way they were filmed, you saw Adam more than you saw Joe. You'd think they would have filmed from a different angle or seated them differently.

Maybe because Adam is younger and hotter.

• Love 1

That elimination was so predictable. After the usual catty behavior picking out two candidates, with the obligatory commercial break before naming victim #2, once it was determined that it was Manda and Elise, I told my wife that Ben was going to get the boot. 

There is no way Elise or Robin are leaving before creating drama and chaos for at least 5 or 6 episodes, and Manda seems to be another GR favorite. 

Immediately after watching this we watched the new episodes of Masterchef Canada. What a huge difference, not only from HK, but from Masterchef US. 

The amateurs on MCCanada showed more skill than any of the so called professional chefs on HK, and without the useless drama. 

• Love 2