Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

I KNEW that I had read something about how red heads feel pain more than most people.  IT's not a myth either.  Here's one article about it. They require more anesthesia than non-red heads.  It also explains why people have red hair. Pretty amusing.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/fact-or-fiction-do-redheads-feel-more-pain

I wonder if Chris just has bad gas and he had to walk it off.  lol  Perhaps, he was embarrassed to tell Amy about it. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

And Amy is all "Yes you are." For all Amy gets assigned the role of bitter and miserable by some, Matt is very clearly pissed as hell that the divorce didn't turn out the way he wanted.

I think Matt went into and through the divorce thinking he could push Amy around afterward so he agreed to some things he thought he could manipulate his way later.  He can't and he gets cranky about it.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Tidbit said:

I guess it is evil of me to hope that the ratings for the 2 hour Auj Suffers episode gets the lowest ratings of all the LPBW episodes.

Not many people like them so it probably will... But Ican't help but want to watch the train wreck of trying to make everything perfect and then watch when everything DOESNT go their way. Am I harsh for thinking that?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I think, and freely admit that I could be wrong, that there are some legalities in that area of Oregon about splitting up properties in order to parcel them out with houses. Splitting the property probably isn't an option. 

Miserable Matt very much wants to steal everything he can from Amy. And Amy seems relatively clued into that. I noticed how very firmly she made it clear that she was not agreeing to his plan to build a new house on the property and that she would *pay him* when the property was sold - essentially since he decided to build the new house, when the property is sold, she has to minus off the profit gained from the new house and give it to Matt. I so don't blame her for not agreeing to that plan.

At the same time, I totally don't think Matt will leave the doublewide. He is too obsessed with the farm to let it go. 

I did adore him bitching how cheap it was, especially when he was crabbing about the hard wood floors that he had installed after the fact to gussy the place up and make it "more comfortable". I also loved that bit where he was complaining about having to live in the double wide, Amy notes that is how they decided the divorce, and he shoots back "Am I complaining???"

And Amy is all "Yes you are." For all Amy gets assigned the role of bitter and miserable by some, Matt is very clearly pissed as hell that the divorce didn't turn out the way he wanted.

My thought was it had been two parcels to begin with ( the original and the one they bought a few years ago) and would be worth more with to big houses ( you know Miserable Matt will need a bigger, better house than Amy's).

And I too am never married at an advanced age. And it's simple the right person didn't show up at the right time. The rest of them were not worth the trouble.

Edited by Willowsmom
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if Chris just has bad gas and he had to walk it off.  lol  Perhaps, he was embarrassed to tell Amy about it. 

From life with my brothers, I do wonder about this. One brother was a junior in high school before he dropped the kids at the pool in public. His friends photographed the bathroom door to commemorate the event. He's now been married several years and still hides out when he needs to go have "kids pool time" so his wife won't be offended by his odors (his sister, however, is fair game for the stench). It's also possible that he may have GI issues and has come to worry about a suddenly queasy stomach or sudden bathroom trip that he doesn't want aired on national TV. 

Or perhaps, he's got kids and he doesn't want this sideshow knowing about them.

Chris not being married before, doesn't bother me.  It actually demonstrates that he doesn't jump into things or that he takes things seriously.  Multiple failed marriages would be more concerning to me.  IMO, anyone can get married if they really want to.  It doesn't matter what your size, looks, temperament, bank account, personality or lack of one, etc., you can find a spouse.  It just depends on what concessions you will make. lol 

It wouldn't surprise me if Chris disappearing was some kind of producer driven thing to keep viewers worried about the relationship.  If he does break up with Amy, they'll need something to blame it on. 

• Love 7

When I think of men that have never married I think of my friend who hasn’t because he’s got Asbergers and can be difficult to deal with. Not so much for me because we’re friends from a young age and we are getting into our retirement years. Also T-Rav from Southern Charm. A misogynistic narcissist who was always on the hunt but more as the hound dog and not the hunter. I’ve met men who never married because they are mama’s boys and very difficult to please. I’m hopeful that we will get some insight and answers but I’m not holding my breath. As long as Amy is happy and there’s no abuse then I’m happy. (Please try to remember that abuse comes in many forms...physical, emotional and neglect etc) 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Rap541 said:

What is so disturbing and awful about a person choosing not to marry?

Nothing.

Just another facet on the diamond.

I'm almost caught up on this season and I've got to say, what "normal" family has a party for something nearly every damn day??!  "Audrey is two weeks away from her due date so I'm going to throw an impromptu shower!"  "Let's throw a party to watch Zach play Dwarf Soccer!"  "We're having a GUYS ONLY Fathers' Day party complete with professionally done framed generational photos and more photos of us holding them!" Every party is decked out with Hobby Lobby decor and streamers.  I guess when most of them don't have real jobs that involve getting up, getting dressed and going somewhere they can do that. And Amy's "special spaghetti" and boxed cupcakes are paraded out as if they were gourmet fare.   Add to that the constant  navel gazing:  "Let's talk about how we feel that a baby is coming. We have so much fun and now there will be a baby and we can't be spontaneous!" (thought every couple ever- but didn't discuss it with everyone within 5 miles).  Amy and Matt wax nostalgic constantly ("I can't wait to see the kids start their own traditions!  I remember all the parties we had when they were babies!")- again, perhaps because they have time to.  Most of us are busy not filming ourselves and then stop and say, "wow, how did my kid suddenly get to be 30?!"

Their grammar (all of them) sets my teeth on edge.  "This is a tough time for Matt and I," "Caryn and I's relationship is really comfortable," "Me and Tori are learning how to be parents."  I think Zach's grammar gets me most because he's married to a schoolteacher!  You can bet that if my husband said "This is my wife and I's house," I'd be correcting that.  

A 5-minute scene about how bad baby poop smells (or not), complete with Jeremy looking truly doubtful about his decision to impregnate his wife and wrinkling his nose in disgust is really not necessary. All babies poop and often it's messy, Jeremy.  You've had nine months to research this and you still act as if it's a surprise that you are going to have to do everything for a newborn.

• Love 5
On 4/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, I now see why Matt won't build his own house on the farm land.  He won't get his investment back.  That makes sense. I still can't see Matt actually moving to the one story house that is going up for auction.  It just seems like a project, imo, either the idea of Matt or TLC.  Fixer Upper shows are so popular. Plus, it might give Jeremy something to do.

He'd have to completely renovate a house anyways to get it suitable for him so he might as well purchase a cheap fixer-upper - and the guy loves a good demo project. Actually I think he just likes telling people what to do during these projects. I loved the 'backyard' of that house.  Great people watcher spot. 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:14 AM, Calibabydolly said:

I sure hope Chris was NOT out drinking! I think that's what they are trying to make us think. Amy would not be happy if he has a drinking problem. It smells like producer "drama" to me, however? I sure hope they have a baby next week because I cannot stand them dragging this out.

don't you worry... I believe they said we get a 2 hour baby delivery episode next week ;) 

19 hours ago, artisto said:

If it were me...I would ask him one time why he leaves without a word. If he got defensive or evasive,  I would be done..done!!

Did he say anything when he gets back?(Apparently I was not paying attention)

Aren't we glad that there is not a pop quiz at the end of each show?

We were basically left with a cliffhanger.  Amy said they finally had an argument about it but we didn't get any details - so they better show us that next week!! I bet it's something stupid. 

16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When Chris disappeared, what did Amy do while he was gone? Did it happen more than once? (Curious, no cable)

She said it happened multiple times and eventually led to her getting into an argument with him about it towards the end of the trip.  I would assume she probably just hung around his friends.  They showed where they were at a restaurant/bar when he wandered off and she came out and said "where did he go?" to someone - I'm assuming his friends because the footage was from a camera strapped to the motorcycle.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

I'm almost caught up on this season and I've got to say, what "normal" family has a party for something nearly every damn day??!

They probably do things to keep the show interesting that (mostly) isn't a conflict. However, I do know people who throw parties for everything; not my thing though.

On Chris never marrying - I don't think that's the issue necessarily. I do see a possible problem with them not being on the same page. I agree with another poster who said she married quickly & had a toxic marriage, no time to really process it & falls into a relationship very quickly after the divorce. She seems needy & amazed that she has a bf like Chris, which is a good way to set herself up for getting hurt. It seems he's still into just having a playmate, but I can't tell just from what they show us & how things are edited.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When I think of men that have never married I think of my friend who hasn’t because he’s got Asbergers and can be difficult to deal with. Not so much for me because we’re friends from a young age and we are getting into our retirement years. Also T-Rav from Southern Charm. A misogynistic narcissist who was always on the hunt but more as the hound dog and not the hunter. I’ve met men who never married because they are mama’s boys and very difficult to please. I’m hopeful that we will get some insight and answers but I’m not holding my breath. As long as Amy is happy and there’s no abuse then I’m happy. (Please try to remember that abuse comes in many forms...physical, emotional and neglect etc) 

I have a family member with Asperger's and is very high functioning. Has a Master's Degree and a good job in his field...but his love life is non existent. From what I know about Asperger's, people who have been diagnosed with it are just bad at social cues and have a lot of problems in personal relationships due to this. Most "Aspies" are asexual and that is also the reason they aren't in relationships. Chris just seems like a confirmed bachelor to me...guys like him, who are 50 and have never been married and the last committed relationship was 15 years ago, will never marry. He likes his freedom and living alone. If Amy badgers him to define their relationship or pushes him to commit to a more serious relationship he'll probably bolt. Also, if he never introduces her to his family or takes her to a family function, that should be her wake up call.

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

& I feel like Amy would've committed at the 6 month mark, if not sooner. 

I agree. After all she married Miserable Matt after a couple face to faces and a few phone calls. I don't think she's ever really dated before and doesn't understand it can just be casual. I also think if she's patient she might get what she wants down the line.

I had a high school teacher that dated two other teachers. One pushed and lost. The othe waited 10 years. They've beeb married for 30+ years now.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I believe the farm has expanded over the years through purchasing parcels surrounding it. If so, it may not be a problem.

Yes, I think the farm was smaller when they first bought it and has been expanded over the years. Why can’t they compromise and partition a parcel for Matt’s dream home that he can purchase Amy’s interest in? Matt would then have a piece of land on the farm that is wholly his for which Amy would be compensated. Amy would still remain in the big house with 50% of the farm and would get cash to boot.

Re: Chris walking away— rude and somewhat weird. However, there is probably a non-dramatic explanation for it. I agree with others that marriage is probably not in his future plans, but I hope Amy can have fun and companionship while it lasts. Why should marriage be the end goal for her anyway?

Edited by Adiba
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, kicksave said:

I have a family member with Asperger's and is very high functioning. Has a Master's Degree and a good job in his field...but his love life is non existent. From what I know about Asperger's, people who have been diagnosed with it are just bad at social cues and have a lot of problems in personal relationships due to this. Most "Aspies" are asexual and that is also the reason they aren't in relationships. Chris just seems like a confirmed bachelor to me...guys like him, who are 50 and have never been married and the last committed relationship was 15 years ago, will never marry. He likes his freedom and living alone. If Amy badgers him to define their relationship or pushes him to commit to a more serious relationship he'll probably bolt. Also, if he never introduces her to his family or takes her to a family function, that should be her wake up call.

You know, your description reminds me of someone that I know that I always wondered about.  They do not have Aspergers, that I am aware of, but, they have never been in a romantic relationship nor have they ever seem to have wanted to. Just platonic relationships period.   They have actually turned down very attractive women who showed interest.  They never seemed to have the slightest sexual interest at all.  I never understood it.  This is a very attractive and friendly person with a good personality, good family, good job. Now, I'm wondering if that is what was the issue.  Not that he didn't marry, but, that he had no interest in any sort of romantic relationship.  Not even casual. And, he's not gay either. Interesting theory. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Yes, I think the farm was smaller when they first bought it and has been expanded over the years. Why can’t they compromise and partition a parcel for Matt’s dream home that he can purchase Amy’s interest in? Matt would then have a piece of land on the farm that is wholly his for which Amy would be compensated. Amy would still remain in the big house with 50% of the farm and would get cash to boot.

This plan was no doubt offered by one or both of their lawyers during the divorce negotiations and was rejected by one or both of the clients for whatever reason.  It could be because the house Amy is living in is on the main plot of land for the buildings and land used for pumpkin season 

• Love 2

I think the problem comes with partitioning the land off so that Matt has a portion of land he can sell if he wishes. The farm is now two combined properties that they own together so there may not be any way for Matt to buy say, five acres that will be in solely his name because that would still be partitioning the property out in smaller lots. 

The problem, in my opinion, is that Matt is desperately trying to get one over on Amy with the house plans. This isn't about Matt building a dream house on the property - she has already said he can do it. With his own money and NOT as a farm expense. That's why he is pissed, he wants Amy to share the cost in building his super cool dream house. 

The problem is that if the land can't be partitioned beyond maybe allowing it to split back into the two original properties, building a fancy new house on the property is a poor investment for Amy to put her money into. And Matt keeps pushing it, and this current episode shows that he is still trying to screw her, offering to accept her offer to let him build the house and then when they sell the property, she pays him for the improvement - which wasn't agreed to or mentioned previously at all. This all comes down to Matt wanting Amy to pay for his house. Because Matt building a dream house with his own money on the property is a TERRIBLE investment for Matt.

If he really needs or wants a customized home, I don't see how he gets that by insisting on staying on the farm.

And I adore his bitching and pouting on how "cheap" the doublewide is. I seem to recall a certain dwarf asshole spouting to the camera how goddamn smart of an investment he was making in bringing an awesome manufactured home to the farm and how stupid Stupid Amy was being for being against his incredible idea! Funny how Matt crowed like the cock of the walk over that and doesn't seem to recall his strutting on how HE was making a great investment... 

Re: Chris walking away— rude and somewhat weird. However, there is probably a non-dramatic explanation for it. I agree with others that marriage is probably not in his future plans, but I hope Amy can have fun and companionship while it lasts. Why should marriage be the end goal for her anyway?

A guess - he was sick of the cameras and needed to get away and probably isn't used to being with someone 24-7. As a single person of a certain age, I like vacationing with friends, but I sometimes need some "alone" time in order to not feel frazzled. 

The plus points I have always given Chris is that he is not dangling marriage at all to Amy and isn't in any way asking for a commitment. Confirmed bachelor sounds about right.

Chris is not asexual. Asexuals definitely do exist - they're about 2% of the population but it does not equal autism, and it doesn't always present as a person choosing to be alone. I know a nice family where the man is straight, the wife is ace and they have a kid even though she's not into him sexually, she loves him enough to participate in something she doesn't necessarily find interesting. 

• Love 5

The theories on why Chris disappears are interesting, but, no matter what they're in a relationship. Even if it's just for fun, she's along for this long ride, so the least he could do is mention he needs a bit of space here & there instead of disappearing without a word. It's way too easy to fill in those gaps & wonder things if he won't talk about it. I do wonder what Amy meant by "a long time", & if this is just a conflict story line for the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

This plan was no doubt offered by one or both of their lawyers during the divorce negotiations and was rejected by one or both of the clients for whatever reason.  It could be because the house Amy is living in is on the main plot of land for the buildings and land used for pumpkin season 

Yeah, that sounds plausible. I know little to nothing about real estate, esp. those ordinances and laws that may affect the farm. I just thought that maybe they could take a relatively unused small piece of land (3-5 acres?), pay Amy for her interest in it, and be done with Matt’s whining.

@Rap541, I do get Amy not signing off on Matt’s suggestion—she’d be a fool to do it under those conditions because she would in essence be paying for his house— just on the back end rather than up front. The other consideration would be that Matt could so specifically customize his house that you’d never get the return on investment for the money put into it. Just because one spends a certain amount of $$ on a house does not mean it’s worth that much when sold.

If Chris just needs some alone time, I completely understand that as an introvert myself. However, just say so.

• Love 3

Man Matt is insufferable. So is his favorite child Jeremy. I'm glad Amy knows his games and refused his ridiculous request. And seriously - what is wrong with the "Double wide" besides it not being the "big house"? It's unfortunate it wasn't built further away from said big house but - it is what it is.... Matt will NEVER move off the farm. What would he do with his time if he can't drive around the property on his atv? Pffft. Nobody believes it Matt, just stop with the bs.

• Love 6

Basically Matt feels a stigma about living in "a trailer" because only poor people do that. He previously enjoyed bragging about living in a million dollar house on a million dollar farm.

And no, he won't move off the farm until the show ends. 

Is anyone noticing btw how there's been no projects for Matt to display?

Willowsmom - lets just say I don't think Matt is anxious to alter his relationship status. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 4

As I recall, Matt moved into the Double Wide because he didn't feel comfortable in the big house anymore...he and Amy weren't getting along and he wanted some space. I think he even said, "it's Amy's house, not mine" or something to that affect. Amy never asked him to leave and or demanded that he leave he did it on his own volition. I can understand that after a few years it would be nice to live in a real house that is LP friendly...I get that. I don't see why he doesn't just build something nearby. Might be good for his own emotional and physical health to not be living and breathing "the farm" 24/7...work there during the day and go home to a nice home/property in the evening and on weekends. I think Amy underestimates how much she depends on Matt to keep the place running...honestly, I don't understand why she wants to live in that big house by herself anyway...that's a lot to maintain by herself. Seems wasteful. 

• Love 2

Of course Audrey is the kind of person who thinks it’s cute to say “I’m a little OCD” because her damn backpack is organized. What a jackass. First of all: no. Second: OCD isn’t something you “are”; it’s something you have, if you indeed have it. (You don’t.) I have ADHD. I would never say “I’m ADHD” because I’m not the living embodiment of the disorder. I’m a person who has ADHD, blue eyes, a good memory, a PhD, and a terrible sense of smell. Audrey is a person who has red hair (did you know??? She so rarely mentions it!), a dumb husband, and an astounding lack of empathy or recognition that other people’s feelings and experiences matter. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, kicksave said:

As I recall, Matt moved into the Double Wide because he didn't feel comfortable in the big house anymore...he and Amy weren't getting along and he wanted some space. I think he even said, "it's Amy's house, not mine" or something to that affect. Amy never asked him to leave and or demanded that he leave he did it on his own volition. I can understand that after a few years it would be nice to live in a real house that is LP friendly...I get that. I don't see why he doesn't just build something nearby. Might be good for his own emotional and physical health to not be living and breathing "the farm" 24/7...work there during the day and go home to a nice home/property in the evening and on weekends. I think Amy underestimates how much she depends on Matt to keep the place running...honestly, I don't understand why she wants to live in that big house by herself anyway...that's a lot to maintain by herself. Seems wasteful. 

Frankly the farm might be more profitable if Miserable Matt wasn't in charge. A competent manager could easily run the place.

And Matt may well not have the money for new construction.

Edited by Willowsmom
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

AMEN to this!

As someone who has been dealing with chronic pain for over a decade, the term "pain tolerance" in one I want eliminated most - especially when used by medical professionals. 

I do not believe two different people, with identical injuries, experience the exact same pain - but that one simply "tolerates" it better than the other.

We know there is a genetic mutation which causes individuals who have it not to feel any pain whatsoever, regardless of the severity of the injury. So it stands to reason the severity of pain from injuries experienced by everyone is most likely governed by genetics; from people who experience a lot of pain to those who experience minimal pain resulting from identical injuries.

The problem is those who are deemed as having a "low pain tolerance" are often treated as if they must be exaggerating their pain (because others with similar injuries have a "high pain tolerance"), and they need to simply "toughen up" and learn to "deal" like other people do.

Oh...and Auj? 

You are not the first homosapien to give birth. Now, I realize you're an Evangelical Christian, and likely believe evolution is nonsense, but even in the Bible Adam and Eve were the only two humans poofed into existence by God. Since that time, billions of women have given birth. You say you don't know what to expect? You've got a SIL who's just given birth, a MIL who had 5 kids, your own mother, as well as countless other women (friends? relatives?) who can clue you in. Your situation really isn't as speshul as you think it is....

about giving birth...i think this every time someone gets all crazy that they are having a baby. it's not special. almost any woman can do it. get over yourself. what we really need is more people not procreating. they should be the ones celebrated. this earth needs a break from all the damage that is being done to it by us.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:28 AM, Lesia said:

Jesus who talks so much about having a baby????  Enough already.  "What are you feeling?  how are you feeling? are you ready to have this baby? what do you think it's gonna be like? are you ready to have this baby? what are you feeling? I can't believe this is happening!  We're gonna have a baby!  What's it going to be like? Are you ready?  How are you feeling? "

oh my god shut up already. 

And why take a 3 month old on vacation?  Catalina Island is nice, but that seemed like a colossal waste of time and money.  "Traveling for the first time with an infant!! YAY! Aren't we great??"

That golf cart seemed like an awful idea with a newborn in a car seat a few feet away from what looked like a cliff.   

my sentiments exactly! all of it!

also, i'm happy that the baby did not cry and scream. only for the sake of the other passengers . i know i would have rolled my eyes seeing an infant boarding the plane and wondering what kind of hell i might be exposed to, ear drum wise. 

Edited by msrachelj
additon
  • Love 3
On 4/24/2018 at 12:11 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Zach taking a baby out for a road trip and NOT BRINGING ANY DIAPERS. Every time I stumble upon that scene, I think, "How stupid are you?" And I was just watching him whine and complain about sap on his hands and having to watch his son, and handing the kid off to Tori as soon as she walked in the door, and flopping on the couch as if watching his own baby was sooooo draining.  And Amy continues to baby him, which I think is part of his problem. Babies are work, Zach. And Jackson is half your's. 

i just started watching this season and know very little about this family but zach, while he seems nice enough, does not seem to be very bright. his wife does though, thank goodness there . 

• Love 2

every little thing "hurts" Auj, when Jeremy squeezed her "ouch don't squeeze so hard" in the car he hits a bump "oww why'd you do that" I wish he would have turned to her and said "if all this hurts you better rethink natural child birth" goodness gracious she's a whiner.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Rap541 said:

And I adore his bitching and pouting on how "cheap" the doublewide is. I seem to recall a certain dwarf asshole spouting to the camera how goddamn smart of an investment he was making in bringing an awesome manufactured home to the farm and how stupid Stupid Amy was being for being against his incredible idea! Funny how Matt crowed like the cock of the walk over that and doesn't seem to recall his strutting on how HE was making a great investment... 

As someone who is short-statured, I should probably be offended at least a bit about calling Matt "a certain dwarf asshole"...but I'm not. I'm still laughing so loudly I scared the cat!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Basically Matt feels a stigma about living in "a trailer" because only poor people do that. He previously enjoyed bragging about living in a million dollar house on a million dollar farm.

Yep.  I made a comment at Matt through the TV about that, as I sit in the living room of my 1977 singlewide (I love my house and it's in excellent condition, but his new DW is a palace compared to mine).  Society does look down on MH dwellers in general (yet they praise the tiny house dwellers - go figure), but the community we live in has rules, and active management who cares about providing a nice place to live at an affordable price.  I'm proud of my home - Matt could be, if he wasn't so short sighted (no pun or joke intended).

11 hours ago, kicksave said:

The DW was part of their "Wedding Farm" side show they had for one season.  It was originally meant to be a place where the bridal party could get ready.  He moved in to it in short order after that show ended, which is why I always believed that short-lived side show was all about getting money so they could purchase new land, and get part of the farm fixed up so their kids could get married there, and provide a place for Matt to live.

10 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Of course Audrey is the kind of person who thinks it’s cute to say “I’m a little OCD” because her damn backpack is organized. What a jackass. First of all: no. Second: OCD isn’t something you “are”; it’s something you have, if you indeed have it. (You don’t.) I have ADHD. I would never say “I’m ADHD” because I’m not the living embodiment of the disorder. I’m a person who has ADHD, blue eyes, a good memory, a PhD, and a terrible sense of smell. Audrey is a person who has red hair (did you know??? She so rarely mentions it!), a dumb husband, and an astounding lack of empathy or recognition that other people’s feelings and experiences matter. 

Audrey can suck it.  A friend and I both have OCD and migraine headaches in common, and we were discussing people who claim they do too (my favorite thing about people who claim to get migraines to ask what prescription their doctor gave them for it, or comment that I don't know how they're able to be up and moving when I'd be hanging my head over a toilet). Yes, we get that there are varying degrees of things, but most people like Oddj who say stuff like that just have no clue.  I'm not easily offended at all, but I do sometimes want to get stabby when people crack jokes about things I deal with, like Diabetes (people who joke about eating a few candy bars will make them diabetic, or who feel free to question everything I do because I am diabetic, etc), and dyslexia.  If people knew the real struggles behind those things (dyslexia was undiagnosed until 11th grade - made it hard for me to get in to college with years of bad grades, etc), they might be a little less likely to joke.  No one needs to kiss my butt or anything, and I don't mind an occasional joke, but there are some things I just wish people would let alone.

31 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

i just started watching this season and know very little about this family but zach, while he seems nice enough, does not seem to be very bright. his wife does though, thank goodness there . 

Zach is smart, but  I have always felt he has some sort of learning disability, judging by his struggles in school, etc.  Jerkamy is just lazy.

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Love 6

Zach has a shunt and has had to have surgery more than once for it. He’s probably missed some school lessons over the years because of it and other surgeries. I also think he is intelligent  but may have learning issues and/or dyslexia. He loves history and we saw him go out of his way to do video etc pertaining to that.  

• Love 4

from what I saw in the early years neither parent had any control over those kids. I'm sure Amy, being a teacher, tried to make them do homework and study but from what was shown that didn't happen. I think you have to have a desire to want to learn and want to do good but it takes work and neither of the boys ever showed that. Molly had the drive to want to do good and she did. 

• Love 2

From my own experience of having children or talking to other expectant mothers, our conversations were more often about what our new baby would be like, or repeating often about how we were just hoping for a very healthy baby.  I knew labor and delivery was going to be hard, but my thoughts were mainly about the baby.

My husband  does a disappearing act too.   He doesn't really disappear, but he always starts conversations with complete strangers at restaurants, Menards, gas pumps, or any place where there are other human beings around.   He can go in a grocery store for a loaf of bread and he'll find someone to talk too.  After 40 years, I'm used to it.  I have sat at restaurant tables alone for 15 minutes while he visits with someone on the way to the bathroom.  And no, he doesn't always  tell me he's walking away.  I was annoyed when we were younger, but now it's not a big deal.  He's a great guy and I can entertain myself without him next to me.  I'm sure I do things that bug him too, but we learned long ago to accept the things we probably will never change, and appreciate the mostly good things we both do.  I do know if we were on a motorcycle trip with other friends, he's be off the bike and running to the other guys to talk about the experience before I had my helmet off.  No problem, I had him for hours on that bike and I'd love some time to myself.

If I was married to Jeremy, I'd wish for him to disappear for awhile.  Does he work?  I didn't watch the show until last season.  I would go nuts if my husband was always around, lol, but I've shared that isn't one of our problems.  

Matt is such a jerk.  I don't know their back story but he's not a nice person IMO.  I think he was having some type of emotional (at the least) affair with Karen and she knew how to make a move on him because she was so close to the situation.  Dumb Matt, fell for it too.  Good luck to both of them, they'll need it.

• Love 3

Society does look down on MH dwellers in general (yet they praise the tiny house dwellers - go figure), but the community we live in has rules, and active management who cares about providing a nice place to live at an affordable price.  I'm proud of my home - Matt could be, if he wasn't so short sighted (no pun or joke intended).

I am going thru this with my mom. She needs to move to a particular part of NYS and needs a house of a particular, large size (to accomadate my siblings and a grandchild). She also needs the house to be all on one level, which in this part of the world, is next to impossible to find - typically a four bedroom home will be two stories. A MH could be had in that area that would be IDEAL and would be less money than buying a split level. But "I'm not living in a trailer park!" rears its head with all the adult participants in this plan and I just backed away at that point.

Matt has a nice home. If he's having a legit problem with the light switches and counters being too high, I get it, but those accommodations would not actually be that hard to make in that house. A kitchen remodel would be much less expensive than buying a new house or buying a different property, Likewise a bathroom remodel. If he hired competent contractors, it could probably be done in a week. Likewise lowering the electrical switches. It's not that big of a place so it isn't as though it would be a massive undertaking. With a remodel, he could add some of the fancy fixtures he wants. To be perfectly honest, if this was about "comfort" and "access", Matt has always had the means to accomplish this. Or, let me put it this way - if he has the CASH on hand to buy a house at auction (if they're like the auctions in AZ, they insist on cash) then he has more than enough cash on hand to make his current home much more comfortable and accessible. Instead he's *torturing* himself and heaving sighs and rolling his eyes and whining to the leg humpers how UNFAIR it is that he's in constant agony and discomfort living in the hated, awful DW. This is all about Matt making himself the martyr, the agonized victim.

he DW was part of their "Wedding Farm" side show they had for one season.  It was originally meant to be a place where the bridal party could get ready.  He moved in to it in short order after that show ended, which is why I always believed that short-lived side show was all about getting money so they could purchase new land, and get part of the farm fixed up so their kids could get married there, and provide a place for Matt to live.

The DW was brought onto the farm ENTIRELY because of Matt. Matt intentionally had the old home that was on the property burnt to the ground. That home was what they were using as the Bridal Suite. 

Amy suggested that for the remaining two weddings that the bridal party use Matt's rather extensive office suite in the barn as there was a bathroom and a kitchenette in there. Matt pitched a fit and insisted that rather than lose access to his office for two days, it was far better for them to spend about 70k on a manufactured home to function as the bridal suite. During the remaining two weddings, the DW wasn't ready so there was a straight up trailer for the bride to get ready in. Then Matt made the decision to move out of the big house and into the DW. 

He had his exit strategy planned for MONTHS. They never needed to add the manufactured home to the property, he orchestrated that so that he would have a nice place to stay when he walked out on the wife. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't recall Chris ever talking about wanting a long term commitment or marriage. Maybe, he does in private. 

I think Chris is just in this relationship for himself.  I think he probably does like the publicity (he's a realtor, right?).  I also think the reason he hasn't married is because he's immature and selfish. I don't see him as wanting children, or even a wife for that matter, to tie him down.  He wants to be able to jump on his motorcycle when the mood strikes him and do whatever he wants.  He's not looking for a commitment and he's made that pretty obvious to Amy.  An example of his immaturity and selfishness is him disappearing from the table and not saying anything to Amy.  I don't care if he has gas, has the runs, or just needs to take a toke.  He could simply say, "I'm going to the restroom" or "My stomach's a little upset, I might be gone for awhile."  I think once you've gone on an overnight trip with someone, you pretty much don't need to be embarrassed to say that you need to use the restroom.

Last season, when I first heard of Caryn, I thought she was patient, kind and level-headed.  This season, however, I'm starting to see her as conniving.  She definitely has a motive.  I really don't see a lot of genuine love between her and Matt.  I think they had an affair while Matt was still married, and I think Caryn wants the big house or at least a piece of the business.  There is just something about her that makes me not trust her.  Maybe Chris and Caryn should date each other.

Edited by Phoebe70
missed a word
  • Love 3

I also think the reason he hasn't married is because he's immature and selfish. I don't see him as wanting children, or even a wife for that matter, to tie him down.  He wants to be able to jump on his motorcycle when the mood strikes him and do whatever he wants.  He's not looking for a commitment and he's made that pretty obvious to Amy.

Or maybe he hasn't married because he has never wanted to.   As one who has chosen, yes, chosen not to marry (really, Mother, I have had opportunities, so don't crow to your church lady friends that I'm a spinster that no one has wanted to marry), I own my choice.  There's nothing wrong with not wanting a spouse, or children.  Far too many people get married and reproduce simply because it's expected.   It's not immature or selfish to know yourself.  It's better than denying it or coming to that realization after it's too late. 

And, as you point out, he's made it pretty obvious to Amy.   If she hasn't understood that, that's on her.  

It's like all the people who used to slag serial monogamist George Clooney.   I'm sure all of those women understood George wasn't promising them anything.    

• Love 13

Yeah, lets see, people who choose not to marry and have children are "disturbing", "selfish", "immature", "maybe Aspergers", and all around are NOT TO BE TRUSTED. 

I guess we unmarrieds need to understand how much better life is when you're stuck attached to someone else forever. I mean Matt and Amy sure seemed so happy married, and weren't disturbing, selfish, or immature in their every day wedding bliss. 

Maybe Chris hasn't married because he hasn't found the right person. Maybe he secretly kills prostitutes and is courting Amy merely for a new place to stash bodies. The fact that he hasn't married and divorced makes him a lesser person than Matt, Amy, and Caryn of the failed marriages isn't kind of offensive, it's actually offensive. 

• Love 17

Gosh, I have absolutely nothing against people who decide not to marry! I got married later in life, and marriage was not the "be all, end all" for me.  I think Chris is selfish, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  But for Amy, who clearly wants a commitment, he might not be the best choice for her.  I recall them on their 6-month overnight trip at dinner talking about relationships.  Amy went on and on about how she would like to get married again at some point.  Meanwhile, Chris just said, "Let's just take it one day at a time."  Amy looked crestfallen.  So what I'm trying to say is, I don't care who gets married and who never does, but 2 people in a relationship should probably have similar opinions on this issue.

11 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Maybe Chris hasn't married because he hasn't found the right person. Maybe he secretly kills prostitutes and is courting Amy merely for a new place to stash bodies. The fact that he hasn't married and divorced makes him a lesser person than Matt, Amy, and Caryn of the failed marriages isn't kind of offensive, it's actually offensive. 

Calm down.  Good lord, I never said Chris was a lesser person because he's not married.  And I don't think anyone else on this forum implied that either.

Edited by Phoebe70
  • Love 3

Phoebe70 - I get what you're saying. 

The problem is that Chris being single is consistently equated with Chris being creepy, immature, selfish, hiding something, being dishonest, having something wrong with him, etc etc etc. 

Why? Because he's not married and hasn't been married. 

I'd like to know - without his lack of marrying being brought up, what people find selfish and immature about Chris?

Because I have found it refreshing to see a man dating a woman of some means who isn't leaping on her insecurity in order to burrow into her money, and also refreshing to see someone pull back from a partner and say something to the effect of "lets move slowly".

I know the act that pinged my "creepy" vibe was how he met Amy and was modifying his motorcycle seemingly almost immediately in order to take her for a spin on it - I assumed he was a show plant and that Amy was falling for a story line plant. But since they've stayed together for close to two years, I've changed my opinion. I still personally wouldn't date the man, but he seems like a reasonably nice guy. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I am going thru this with my mom. She needs to move to a particular part of NYS and needs a house of a particular, large size (to accomadate my siblings and a grandchild). She also needs the house to be all on one level, which in this part of the world, is next to impossible to find - typically a four bedroom home will be two stories. A MH could be had in that area that would be IDEAL and would be less money than buying a split level. But "I'm not living in a trailer park!" rears its head with all the adult participants in this plan and I just backed away at that point.

Matt has a nice home. If he's having a legit problem with the light switches and counters being too high, I get it, but those accommodations would not actually be that hard to make in that house. A kitchen remodel would be much less expensive than buying a new house or buying a different property, Likewise a bathroom remodel. If he hired competent contractors, it could probably be done in a week. Likewise lowering the electrical switches. It's not that big of a place so it isn't as though it would be a massive undertaking. With a remodel, he could add some of the fancy fixtures he wants. To be perfectly honest, if this was about "comfort" and "access", Matt has always had the means to accomplish this. Or, let me put it this way - if he has the CASH on hand to buy a house at auction (if they're like the auctions in AZ, they insist on cash) then he has more than enough cash on hand to make his current home much more comfortable and accessible. Instead he's *torturing* himself and heaving sighs and rolling his eyes and whining to the leg humpers how UNFAIR it is that he's in constant agony and discomfort living in the hated, awful DW. This is all about Matt making himself the martyr, the agonized victim.

The DW was brought onto the farm ENTIRELY because of Matt. Matt intentionally had the old home that was on the property burnt to the ground. That home was what they were using as the Bridal Suite. 

Amy suggested that for the remaining two weddings that the bridal party use Matt's rather extensive office suite in the barn as there was a bathroom and a kitchenette in there. Matt pitched a fit and insisted that rather than lose access to his office for two days, it was far better for them to spend about 70k on a manufactured home to function as the bridal suite. During the remaining two weddings, the DW wasn't ready so there was a straight up trailer for the bride to get ready in. Then Matt made the decision to move out of the big house and into the DW. 

He had his exit strategy planned for MONTHS. They never needed to add the manufactured home to the property, he orchestrated that so that he would have a nice place to stay when he walked out on the wife. 

I felt the same way about "trailer parks" until I started looking at them, and realized they're not all created equal.  Some I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, but we have a lot of retired people where we live, and it's peaceful and quiet, and most people are friendly.  You could always try finding a nice park, and showing them how far money will go there, and maybe they'll change their minds (a lot of our friends did when they saw what $14,000 bought us, and the tax advantages, etc).  Then again, some people just won't budge.

I couldn't remember the whole story about how the DW came to the farm, but I called it from the minute it showed up that Matt would be living there soon enough.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, watcherwoman said:

From my own experience of having children or talking to other expectant mothers, our conversations were more often about what our new baby would be like, or repeating often about how we were just hoping for a very healthy baby.  I knew labor and delivery was going to be hard, but my thoughts were mainly about the baby.

My husband  does a disappearing act too.   He doesn't really disappear, but he always starts conversations with complete strangers at restaurants, Menards, gas pumps, or any place where there are other human beings around.   He can go in a grocery store for a loaf of bread and he'll find someone to talk too.  After 40 years, I'm used to it.  I have sat at restaurant tables alone for 15 minutes while he visits with someone on the way to the bathroom.  And no, he doesn't always  tell me he's walking away.  I was annoyed when we were younger, but now it's not a big deal.  He's a great guy and I can entertain myself without him next to me.  I'm sure I do things that bug him too, but we learned long ago to accept the things we probably will never change, and appreciate the mostly good things we both do.  I do know if we were on a motorcycle trip with other friends, he's be off the bike and running to the other guys to talk about the experience before I had my helmet off.  No problem, I had him for hours on that bike and I'd love some time to myself.

If I was married to Jeremy, I'd wish for him to disappear for awhile.  Does he work?  I didn't watch the show until last season.  I would go nuts if my husband was always around, lol, but I've shared that isn't one of our problems.  

Matt is such a jerk.  I don't know their back story but he's not a nice person IMO.  I think he was having some type of emotional (at the least) affair with Karen and she knew how to make a move on him because she was so close to the situation.  Dumb Matt, fell for it too.  Good luck to both of them, they'll need it.

My hubby is the same way.  I tease him that he could have a family reunion with total strangers in the grocery store.  Also that he could talk to a tree for hours if it would just nod back every now and then.  Like you, after 25 years of marriage it doesn't bother me.  I'll think he's in the garage & turns out he'll be 2 blocks over at a neighbors house. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Steff said:

My hubby is the same way.  I tease him that he could have a family reunion with total strangers in the grocery store.  Also that he could talk to a tree for hours if it would just nod back every now and then.  Like you, after 25 years of marriage it doesn't bother me.  I'll think he's in the garage & turns out he'll be 2 blocks over at a neighbors house. 

Plus, we don't know how hyped up any of this is for TV sake.

• Love 2