Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't think Matt or Amy wants the other back; they were both obviously miserable together when married.

There's no proof Caryn & Matt had an affair, but, Caryn's ex not allowing their kids on the property is suspect, as is Amy's woman scorned way about her - which I don't blame her for; she has resentments toward Matt that are no doubt well earned. She just needs to work it out for herself & her own future.

That said, I also feel Amy can be abrasive & quick-tempered, & seems to be 'keeping sweet' with Chris. Her adoring gaze in their shared TH was ridiculous. If that's what he wants he'll be in for a rude awakening when things get more real.  I'm not saying he's Mr. Perfect either, & not because he's never been married. I did not like him walking out on her for long periods of time without letting her know. She was a bit too accepting of an unacceptable 'explanation'; at least it wouldn't have cut it for me.

I'm in the camp that something about Chris bothers me as well, but I feel the same about Caryn. There's something very disingenuous about her.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 11

I’m just catching up so I was a little behind but I just have to say, I swear if Matt went on one more time about whether or not Amy would make it in time for the birth, I would not likely have a television anymore. Also showboating everytime he answered the phone “this could be it”... while I do think Amy was a bit salty about it I laughed when she was rational and said “if they were having the baby they would have texted the group chat with everyone”... which does make more sense when you have to notify so many people. 

Did anyone else catch when Jeremy was talking about how important/exciting having the first granddaughter was... I feel like he was a little bitter about not having the first grandchild period.

• Love 5

Did anyone else catch when Jeremy was talking about how important/exciting having the first granddaughter was... I feel like he was a little bitter about not having the first grandchild period.

I think he was a little bitter that there wasn't as much of a fuss. It probably wasn't helped that Daddy Matt was visibly disappointed at the gender reveal party, 

And I admit to being surprised that Matt just repainted the stork thing instead of making another... that felt a little "yeah we're excited but it's not the first..."

But that is what life is like when you aren't the first. Speaking as the fourth grandchild on one side of the family, and the twelth and final grandchild on the other side, the first grandchild usually wins the attention wars.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

And I admit to being surprised that Matt just repainted the stork thing instead of making another... that felt a little "yeah we're excited but it's not the first..."

Aww I thought it was a cute idea to just flip it around.

Tori is adorable. I bet she's a great teacher. And when Matt was talking about her at the book thing I cried. That was a very sweet moment.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

I used to watch this show when the kids were young.  I recently started watching again.  I am not familiar with the kids as adults, so was wondering why do so many seem to dislike Audrey and Jeremy?  Also, how did Amy meet Chris?  Not taking sides with Matt and Amy, but wondering when Chris will see the Amy I remember.  She was sort of nasty and lazy.  Although not featured on the show, Jacob and Molly seem very happy.

• Love 2
On 5/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, riverblue22 said:

I was impressed with Jeremy the father...he seemed a lot more comfortable with it than I expected.

Amy is so testy about Matt you'd almost think she was still in love with him.

Me too, like I found myself actually enjoying him. Even when he said he was ready to hook her boobs up to an air compressor to get the milk flowing.  I admit I laughed along with them lol

23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

what kind of a non excuse was that that amy accepted about chris' disappearances? sorry but how does one reach the age he is and not know that just getting up from a table, just leaving someone with no explanation, to go and socialize with someone else at all, let alone 20 minutes, is not polite to say the least?! i did not like the way it was resolved. i'd be furious.

ok their excuse was TOTALLY BOGUS!  he was going off to talk to the friends - THAT THEY WERE TRAVELING WITH???? That doesn't even make sense.  Did they not eat meals with these friends? Did they not hang out with them at all?? My parents do motorcycle trips like that with a small group of friends too and they are around each other almost all the time except for sleeping.  She said it would happen at random stops, so all those friends just happened to wander off and vanish too?? Something is stinky.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, gunderda said:

She said it would happen at random stops, so all those friends just happened to wander off and vanish too?? Something is stinky.  

Maybe they were all trying to avoid one specific person, and Chris went to hang out with them, too.

• Love 2

Maybe they were all trying to avoid one specific person, and Chris went to hang out with them, too.

Heehee.

More likely, whatever the reason was, it was something private that Chris didn't want blared on television like he was super constipated or needed to call his other girlfriend or whatever.

Honestly it totally feels like something Amy found "dramatic" but was a totally normal thing like he needed a few minutes of alone time and didn't bluntly spell it out.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not so sure that Matt would get his money back if he built a new house on the farm.  Would the addition support a real increase in value? What prospective buyer would want two main houses on the property?  For the right buyer, it would be great, but, for most, it would be a wasted house.  I mean, you would have to have people to live there or rent it out.....I'm just trying to envision how it might work.  It seems to be problematic. 

I'm not convinced that Matt wants Amy back. I've never seen Matt look happier or healthier than since he split with Amy.  

The thing is, nobody is ever really sure they will "get their money back" in real estate. Especially if they build a custom-designed higher-end home, many things can influence whether they will see a profit, break even, or take a loss. Market conditions, interest rates, etc. fluctuate.

Matt wants an agreement that he will automatically get his money back, and that's not the way real estate works. Matt knows this, he is not stupid. This is why, no matter what Amy's faults are--I'm on her side with the house deal. Matt's trying to get a better deal, imo.

(As an aside, there was a documentary called "The Queen of Versailles" about a couple who were building the country's largest private residence in Florida. They ran out of money during the project and couldn't find a buyer for this huge, custom-designed home. Just because they spent millions, didn't mean it was worth millions on the market.)

• Love 5

Matt wants an agreement that he will automatically get his money back, and that's not the way real estate works. Matt knows this, he is not stupid. This is why, no matter what Amy's faults are--I'm on her side with the house deal. Matt's trying to get a better deal, imo.

And he presents as him being perfectly reasonable and conciliatory - so magnanimous that he'll allow Amy to invest in a house "for the farm" or that now he'll agree to the deal where he builds the house to his liking, and when they sell the property, Amy then gets the honor and privilege of paying him for the house he added. To paint that picture - say he builds a house for 500k. If they sell the farm for 2 million, they each get a million.... and Amy has to pay him 500k for the house he had the pleasure of living in. How on earth is that a good deal for Amy?

• Love 6
On 4/30/2018 at 3:47 PM, Willowsmom said:

There's more than one scene of Matt yammering on about how useless education is. If he said it on national TV I'd bet he drilled it into the twins. Their distain for education should be laid at Matt's door.

OH BUT WAIT - remember when Matt was sitting all the kids down to discuss college - he wanted them to consider going to Harvard!  HAHAHAHAHA  That was a good laugh.

• Love 3

The farm in his words "is all about the grandkids" which is fine so why doesn't he just build him a customized home when he passes it off to kids or grands there will be someone that can use it. Z & T may not move back to the farm while Matt & Amy are still there but in the future they may consider it, especially if they have a home that Zach could manevour in comfortably. Also when Jackson is grown he may not feel like the "we have no interest in moving to the farm" like his parents do right now.  

Matt clearly never valued her opinion, and would put her down for not giving in to his every whim, while she implored him to research better, crunch numbers, etc. 

It takes two to tango and I admit, sometimes I get annoyed with the "Poor Matt, he's just doing everything he can to show Amy he loves her" crowd when Matt clearly isn't preciously handing Amy compliments and bowing to her every whim. In any episode of this show from day one, you will find Matt in a confessional complaining in some way about Amy.  Matt isn't a prince to be around. I can already see the signs with Caryn... it won't be long before he's really bitching about her. 

• Love 5

Matt is a narcissistic alcoholic.  That means until he gets completely clean and sober and psychological care, he will be a jerk to whoever his companion in life is.  I lived with one.  Amy and Caryn have more patience (or less backbone) than I had.  There is no reason for anyone to have to live with that plus the sniveling and manipulation on top of it.  If Amy developed some anger and resentment about having to constantly pick up the slack, be the adult, and then to top the sundae Matt had an affair and wants a divorce, then that would only be quite natural.  It's going to take some time to get over that and I don't think it will happen as long as Matt is still in her life.  For the sake of their psychological health, they need to quit the show and sell the farm.  From my experience neither will be able to move on until, they are really divorced that is living their own lives out of sight of the other unless it's a family gathering for the children or grandchildren.

For the record, I've seen dozens of women who have similar and worse reactions to their exes and it certainly wasn't because they loved them.  It was because of all they'd been put through in the marriages (and yes had contributed to) and sometimes the smallest thing could bring those emotions back.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Matt is a narcissistic alcoholic.  That means until he gets completely clean and sober and psychological care, he will be a jerk to whoever his companion in life is.  I lived with one.  Amy and Caryn have more patience (or less backbone) than I had.  There is no reason for anyone to have to live with that plus the sniveling and manipulation on top of it.  If Amy developed some anger and resentment about having to constantly pick up the slack, be the adult, and then to top the sundae Matt had an affair and wants a divorce, then that would only be quite natural.  It's going to take some time to get over that and I don't think it will happen as long as Matt is still in her life.  For the sake of their psychological health, they need to quit the show and sell the farm.  From my experience neither will be able to move on until, they are really divorced that is living their own lives out of sight of the other unless it's a family gathering for the children or grandchildren.

For the record, I've seen dozens of women who have similar and worse reactions to their exes and it certainly wasn't because they loved them.  It was because of all they'd been put through in the marriages (and yes had contributed to) and sometimes the smallest thing could bring those emotions back.

100%.  I don't know if he's still drinking or how much, but we learned a lot about emotional sobriety, and many don't achieve it, even if they dry out and stay dry.  My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and he's not there yet.  He didn't get there the first time either.  I've gone through the wringer, and some of it was my decision to do so, and I'll cop to sometimes getting in a funk and wanting to take my frustrations out in in appropriate ways (ie: on other people, etc).  But just yesterday, he made a comment in passing that extremely quickly put me in to a panic attack, and I went full-on freak out (scared - not like abusive).  I eventually calmed down, but that does really happen.  And fast.

• Love 7
On 5/1/2018 at 9:59 PM, MegD said:

I do think the trebuchet incident was a turning point for Jacob. I think for him, once he got older and realized that his parents had consented to allow TLC to show what was a horrible accident and what had probably given him nightmares and I'm sure scars he can find even if we can't in the name of making a buck, he was over the show and over his parents' treatment towards he and Mike. Especially when the next year Matt tried to get him to help make it bigger and "better". That thing should have been immediately pulled down for his kid's sake but Matt didn't care one bit about how Jacob might feel about it.

Jerk almost slipped up talking about with his mom being back in time with the birth of her first grand.... daughter. He came real close to trying to  claim his birthright and tossing Jackson under a bus.

Actually, I was shocked that local and state authorities didn't shut that trebuchet down as it was obviously dangerous. Can't imagine that his insurance didn't shoot up due to that thing being a part of the family pumpkin business and was proven to be a danger.

• Love 3

My best scenes from this weeks episode have to be: 1) When Zach was describing the baby going to the "hole" and Tori corrected him with the baby going down the BIRTH CANAL! I about choked at that one. Then 2) the cat meowing like a wild thing as Jer and Aud walked in the house with the new baby right home from hospital. It was SO pathetic.....and then showing the kitty napping in the chair with the new mommy!

I agree Jeremy is really taking to this fatherhood thing like a pro! He handles baby girl like he's been doing it for eons.

I also teared up during Matts speech when he said Tori was an awesome mother....until Zach goes and ruins it with his "hold it together" to his dad!

• Love 3

Anybody else get the feeling this show is on it's last legs?

Maybe, but TLC really doesn't have much to replace it with. If Jacob doesn't consent to his marriage being filmed, they don't really have another major life event to base the season unless Zach and Tori have another baby. I'm specifying  those two because while I am sure Auj and Jer adore their baby and thats based on their Instagram stories, its certainly not based on their frowns and flat affects on the show. Those two straight up looked bored or angry for most of the two hour special. 

I honestly don't find Amy's second act especially compelling but I give her credit for being willing to film it. It's just not that interesting.

Matt clearly isn't where he was health wise and that goes quite unstated but for all the talk about projects on the farm, I find the Caryn/Matt thing rather interesting, to be honest, in part because they so rarely show it. I do think there's some story there but Matt has always been pretty careful about how *he's* filmed. 

The show has mostly devolved to talk of poo but it's pretty cheap for TLC at this point so....

• Love 4

Good grief Matt just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a snide comment about Amy "not seeming to enjoy the party" and therefore "taking a step back". He's such a pill. A narcissistic ahole pill... How about he just keep his yap shut. I mean - I do get it on some level this is a "reality" show and either they are directed to make such comments or think they have to, to keep up the "drama" but it was so unnecessary and in my view - made him look like a jerk, yet again. 

• Love 10

Did Jer and Audj want NO family at the hospital while she gave birth? I find it so odd the Roloffs (and Audj's fam) weren't at the hospital - and were taking a phone call from Jeremy instead. So odd. But. Jer and Audj are odd so... yeah. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

Did Jer and Audj want NO family at the hospital while she gave birth? I find it so odd the Roloffs (and Audj's fam) weren't at the hospital - and were taking a phone call from Jeremy instead. So odd. But. Jer and Audj are odd so... yeah. 

Perhaps they didn’t want anybody to see the truth. That there was nothing natural about the birth (epidural now please) 

• Love 9

I can't fault them for not wanting people at the hospital. No one ever knows how long it will take & she did go into labor middle of the night. Even if it had been daytime I'm sure the others would've had better things to do than sit around a hospital waiting anyway.

• Love 2

I don’t think it’s odd not to have family at the hospital. They’d just have been out in the common waiting area most likely. All of the hospitals around us have a two hour bonding time before visitors are allowed in.

• Love 1

I just had an idea occur to me about the resentment, jealousy, anger.....whatever you call it, that Amy has with Matt and Caryn and family events.  (Amy admits she's NOT okay with it, so, it's by her own admission that she's VERY bothered.)  I've been thinking it was an issue over Matt. Perhaps, she's jealous or still has feelings for him, but, NOOOOO.....I may have missed it.  Maybe, it's jealousy over the adults kids and Caryn.  I mean, what if they get along with Caryn better than her?  They all seem to like Caryn.  And it was AMY that Tori expressed concern with who would go off on you, if she got upset.  (A few seasons ago, she said that on camera interview with Zach, Jer and Aug sitting beside her and they agreed.)  So, I just wonder if that's it.  Hmm.....No doubt they love and adore Amy, but, maybe, they don't have to be so guarded with Caryn.  

14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just had an idea occur to me about the resentment, jealousy, anger.....whatever you call it, that Amy has with Matt and Caryn and family events.  (Amy admits she's NOT okay with it, so, it's by her own admission that she's VERY bothered.)  I've been thinking it was an issue over Matt. Perhaps, she's jealous or still has feelings for him, but, NOOOOO.....I may have missed it.  Maybe, it's jealousy over the adults kids and Caryn.  I mean, what if they get along with Caryn better than her?  They all seem to like Caryn.  And it was AMY that Tori expressed concern with who would go off on you, if she got upset.  (A few seasons ago, she said that on camera interview with Zach, Jer and Aug sitting beside her and they agreed.)  So, I just wonder if that's it.  Hmm.....No doubt they love and adore Amy, but, maybe, they don't have to be so guarded with Caryn.  

Or maybe its the fact that Matt screwed the help and refuses to fire her? How could the kuds favor the wiman that hurt their mom so bad? And why would they take Matt's ( if any) side when Amy was almost a single parent most of their lives?

Amy is far more relaxed and happy she doesn't have to put up with Matt's crap.

• Love 16
(edited)

I am so tired of a couple off hand comments about Amy being angry defining who she is and making her a horrible person. I’m not saying she doesn’t have a temper, I don’t know that either way, but for Pete’s sake, who doesn’t get angry? Anger is NORMAL and nobody has indicated that she becomes violent, or harms anyone emotionally or physically. The people who commented on it have only mentioned it once, and are still actively involved in Amy’s life. Honestly I’m more concerned when people don’t show anger, I am more concerned about Matt’s demeanor than Amy’s, it’s the whole “devil you know” things.

Again I don’t know if Amy’s anger is truly an issue to the people who actually know her. I’m not saying it’s not there but in my semi professional opinion (I’m a psychiatric nurse so I’m not oblivious to feeling I talk about them all day) someone having a temper does not make them a monster, I would have a temper too if my husband was having an affair (whether emotional or physical) with someone close to my family that I couldn’t get away from because of their involvement with my family. There is a difference between being angry and just needing to yell or vent or even throw things (in a constructive manner) than lashing out at loved ones and hurting them (emotionally or physically) and nobody that has commented on her anger has specified that either of those have been the case, so we don’t know, and I don’t think it’s fair to demonize Amy over speculation.

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 16

My opinion about Chris's disappearance from their dinner table is this: regardless of what he went off to do, he showed Amy that he has bad manners. It simply is bad manners and non-consideration of Amy to just get up from the table and go off somewhere, anywhere without first saying something to her.

This will not change. He is a grown man who has lived his life for himself. Not a bad thing when you're not married or seeing anyone seriously, but he is now not 'just himself', but has Amy to consider in a relationship. When they are together, he needs to consider her too and be clear about his actions. He didn't display this on his own, so this 'consideration' doesn't come naturally to him. If I were Amy, I'd read the handwriting on the wall. If their relationship goes further, Chris won't change, really. She may have to 'keep reminding' him of his behavior. This gets old FAST.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, leighroda said:

Again I don’t know if Amy’s anger is truly an issue to the people who actually know her.

Also, if Amy had consistent rage issues;  we are relatively certain that the producers would edit in this behavior..

Not too many people who have been stabbed in the back would say:

Hey, stab me again..you missed a spot.

37 minutes ago, artisto said:

Also, if Amy had consistent rage issues;  we are relatively certain that the producers would edit in this behavior..

Not too many people who have been stabbed in the back would say:

Hey, stab me again..you missed a spot.

Obviously, I don't know Amy personally, so I don't know if she has an anger problem. But what they do show seems within the normal range to me, especially when putting up with Matt. 

Also, she seems to have many friends--I doubt there is a problem with Amy "going off" all of the time or else I assume there are not many friends who would stick around for that.

The thing is, the dynamic with Caryn and the Roloff kids is completely different than that of a mother/child. Maybe Caryn's kids should be asked if she ever "went off" on them?

• Love 9

Matt and Amy both living on the farm is just toxic....Matt wants the farm because he made it his life....Amy wants the farm because that is "home" for the kids.  If Amy moved off the farm and bought herself a place and Matt moved into the big house you tell me where the kids will spend the majority of their time?!  It's a no win situation and neither one is going to give in.

• Love 3

The thing is, the dynamic with Caryn and the Roloff kids is completely different than that of a mother/child. Maybe Caryn's kids should be asked if she ever "went off" on them?

Maybe, since Caryn's kids are now adults, Matt should be concerning himself with onscreen introducing his adult children to the concept that Caryn's adult children will now be invited to family events? 

Why isn't Matt concerning himself in the slightest about how he will be accepted by Caryn's children? I mean, aside from the obvious answer, Matt just doesn't give two shits?

For all the talk about Amy's extensive and troubling rage issue that needs psychiatric intervention, its genuinely hard to believe based on how they interact with Amy that they all tremble and pee themselves in terror when they approach her. It's also hard to believe that she's been constantly filmed for over twelve years now and I've seen her have genuine temper once - and that was with the guy she thought was trespassing.

Based on anger and expressions of anger, I would very much peg Matt as the one with a temper problem. How many times have we seen Matt huff in anger and stomp off, leaving behind puzzled and upset family? Heck I remember one time where the kids invited their mother to his house for game night and Matt huffed in anger and stomped off to his bedroom and when he came back, he was clearly pissed for the evening... but Amy is the one who has the anger problem?

• Love 10
(edited)

I started watching this show after Amy & Matt were already taking about divorce. Now glancing at a rerun marathon (really waiting to see if Amy is the only woman on this annual bike ride through remote cities trip). What was the cause/final straw for one or both of them to decided to split ? Was Caryn in the picture?

I know each divorce settlement is as different as the couple involved but  I guess I was thinking they both wanted to keep the farm and continue life separately in two distinct living properties. Seems like now it might have been better for one to buy the other out. That is the deal I would have took - get all of my $$ now and up front. 

I know Jeremy is young but must he look like he is going to/from the beach in every scene? Birkenstocks, shorts, hair in man-bun, tee shirt...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

What was the cause/final straw for one or both of them to decided to split ? Was Caryn in the picture?

Caryn has been working for Matt since at least 2010, possibly earlier.

Matt left Amy once he had the double wide established on the property as a place he could move to. While I personally think they were maintaining separate lives from about 2012 on, they hung in until the kids that mattered were out of the house (not Jacob) Amy pretty clearly didn't want the separation while Matt literally held a party in the doublewide for all his male friends.

Amy has implied that Matt "had girlfriends" as soon as the separation began and when she spoke of it, the tone suggested that Matt probably started seeing other women before the separation. Jeremy wrote at least one since removed blog article about emotional affairs, and his parents break up that pretty much stated his parents sought out opposite sex companions to share their frustrations with instead of talking to each other. Caryn has also been in the background in numerous episodes with behaviors that often led to people wondering if she was having an affair with Matt.

Most notably, in the terms of Caryn's 2012 divorce, its stated that her underage children are not allowed to be on Roloff Farms..

Caryn was in the picture. There wasn't an on screen final straw, Matt moved into the double wide after filming ended for pumpkin season that year. 

I know each divorce settlement is as different as the couple involved but  I guess I was thinking they both wanted to keep the farm and continue life separately in two distinct living properties. Seems like now it might have been better for one to buy the other out. That is the deal I would have took - get all of my $$ now and up front. 

In a not on tv divorce, I think it would have gone this way. But the farm is the show and they are both on the show, and they both have to interact on the farm, or else this turns into Real Housewives of Portland.

• Love 7

Ummm.. the yard stork... Matt (or his underlings) painted one side pink for the new grand daughter?  So what happens when you look at the thing from your living room?  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Ummm.. the yard stork... Matt (or his underlings) painted one side pink for the new grand daughter?  So what happens when you look at the thing from your living room?  

They saw the highly first grandson's name. Classy huh?

It would be very easy for Matt to move nearby and go to work at the farm every day.  But then Caren would want to move in....

• Love 5
On 5/3/2018 at 5:43 PM, Willowsmom said:

Anybody else get the feeling this show is on it's last legs?

I thought it was on its last legs back when they were doing weddings on the farm with non-Roloffs. The two grandbabies and two new relationships (Care/y/i/n and Chris) actually pump a little new life into it, I think.

• Love 5

I like Chris, and always have. I don't think it is a big hairy deal that he left the table, and like that Amy brought it up to him and that he apologized to her. We have no idea what was happening at the time - I am sure there were scenes filmed that were cut from the episode. Maybe Chris got tired of having cameras follow them. Maybe he and Amy were eating alone because his friends did not want to be on camera. I give him credit not only for pursuing a relationship with Amy, but for being on film during parts of it.  Amy is used to be pick apart by viewers, Chris isn't. I give him credit for putting himself out there for Amy. I loved the brief glimpse of Levenworth - love that place. 

I might add - I was in my mid 40s before I ever lived with anyone - and that was my hubby who I moved in with when we got engaged and a year before we married. I had boyfriends previously but no one that wanted to give up living independently for.  I don't think Chris being in his 50s and never married is a big deal. If I hadn't married my husband I might be in the same position. There are lots of reasons people don't marry, and to be honest I have more respect for someone who has never married than people who marry multiple times because they can't stand to be alone, and have horrible taste in partners. As I always say, anyone can get married if you set your standards low enough. Hubby and I have been together for 21 years, married for 14. It is the easiest relationship I have ever had, and never feels like work. Sometimes the right person just takes longer to come around, and maybe Amy is the right person for Chris. In any case I love that they are having fun, respect each other, and that Amy finally has a partner who treats her like an equal. 

I think it is obvious from Amy's comments that Matt and Caryn were having an affair before the divorce, and possibly even before the separation. However at this point I think Amy should thank Caryn for taking Matt off her hands. Chris treats Amy 100 percent better than Matt ever did, and she is happier now than she has ever been on the show. For many years when I would complain about my husband's ex, he would tell me that I should thank her, because she is so useless (basically a narcissistic that could go toe to toe with Matt) that I look even better in comparison. Lol. 

I enjoyed Jer and Auj's scenes, and that they show a very realistic portrait of new parenthood. I am also impressed at what a natural Jer appears to be as a father - who knew? 

• Love 6
(edited)

I've always gotten a creepy vibe from both Caryn and Chris, and the last few episodes do nothing but reinforce that.  Caryn treats/talks to Matt the same way my niece's babysitter does to my niece (she's 6).  Chris' disappearing act during the bike trip helped pinpoint a little bit what it is about him that I think bothers me....and it's that I get the feeling there is more going on with him than we know (and probably than Amy knows).  Not getting the "I'm an open book" feeling from him at all. 

My opinion of what happened during the bike trip is that Chris was sneaking off to do something.  No idea what but I'm pretty sure there is no human being who was raised in civilized society who would honestly think it acceptable to get up from the table in the middle of a meal at a restaurant and walk off for 20 mins without a word to his dinner companion about where he was going.  Not buying for a second that Chris was oblivious to that not being okay, and not buying the excuse that was presented on the show, either.  

Part of me thinks Matt and Amy will ride things out with Caryn and Chris, respectively, however, for as long as humanly possible rather than be the first to fail at another relationship - no matter how creepy ass they may be.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

My opinion of what happened during the bike trip is that Chris was sneaking off to do something.  No idea what but I'm pretty sure there is no human being who was raised in civilized society who would honestly think it acceptable to get up from the table in the middle of a meal at a restaurant and walk off for 20 mins without a word to his dinner companion about where he was going.  Not buying for a second that Chris was oblivious to that not being okay, and not buying the excuse that was presented on the show, either.  

If I were with someone who did that - male or female - I'd be out looking for them to make sure they weren't in the bathroom being sick or something.  And if they left me for 20 minutes with no "up-front" comment on where they were going, they had BETTER be sick.  It costs nothing to be polite - just a little thoughtfulness and courtesy to one's companion is crucial in a relationship.  To do that in his 50s indicates to me that he's either rude, sneaking around, or so self-centered that he doesn't care about how his partner feels.  None of those are great options.

• Love 6

Part of me thinks Matt and Amy will ride things out with Caryn and Chris, respectively, however, for as long as humanly possible rather than be the first to fail at another relationship - no matter how creepy ass they may be.

Amy especially because Amy pretty clearly views being alone as being a failure. One reason I don't think Chris is a raging asshole is that based on Amy's reactions alone, I think they could already be married if she had her way. If this was about worming in for her money, Chris has had ample opportunity to commit. 

I wonder if a lot of the appeal of Caryn to Matt was pissing off Amy. 

• Love 2
On 5/3/2018 at 6:41 PM, Libby said:

The whole Chris disappearing thing creeped me out. I have no idea what he was up to, but his explanation wouldn't have cut it for me. Creepy...

Yes, 100%.  Good lord, the man is in his mid-50s and thinks it's ok to just walk up from the table with absolutely no explanation for 20+ minutes?  He's not very bright, is he?  Of course, Amy's not too bright either because after she confronted him about it she was fine with it.  Those two deserve each other.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

Yes, 100%.  Good lord, the man is in his mid-50s and thinks it's ok to just walk up from the table with absolutely no explanation for 20+ minutes?  He's not very bright, is he?  Of course, Amy's not too bright either because after she confronted him about it she was fine with it.  Those two deserve each other.

What was his explanation?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

The whole Chris disappearing thing creeped me out. I have no idea what he was up to, but his explanation wouldn't have cut it for me. Creepy

Me too

REALLY bothered me. Just rude to not even say anything. And it is not like Amy can do anything like walk away or go home.

Maybe he is getting a BJ from a Truck Stop Hooker?

Even then-20 minutes is way too long

• Love 4