Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

Its not, Amy's place is two stories and yup, unlike Matt, she's been judged a dumbass for buying a two story house. Everyone except the most handicapped person on the show has been judged for this. Its kind of hilarious. 

• Love 1

Did Matt buy a two story house or did they build it on the farm (Big House) when they were much younger and probably more capable of tackling stairs?  Is the Arizona home two stories?  I thought I read it was one floor.   I know I don't give a crap if they have a two story or ten story home, navigating the stairs is their problem. They all have a ton of money, let then put in elevators or that chair that goes up the stairs.   I would imagine Amy is probably the most capable of dealing with staircases.  

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

I really have not paid close attention to Amy's house mostly just see the kitchen in her videos, is her house a ranch?

It’s not a ranch, but I figure it wasn’t as big deal because Amy doesn’t seem to have to any big mobility issues yet.  Maybe that’s why it was she is thinking about a different home in 10 years.  Possibly, she thinks mobility will be more of an issue then, I don’t know.

I’m pretty sure the Arizona house is 1 story.  I agree they could put an elevator in to the other home although Matt would probably make do as I think Caryn would spend more time at the new house once built and use it for a rental property or at least that’s just me guessing.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I would imagine Amy is probably the most capable of dealing with staircases.  

There doesn't seem to be anything Amy isn't capable of doing physically.  Maybe that's another attraction for my man!

• LOL 7

Personally I don't care in the slightest if any of them own homes with stairs. They're all grown ups and aware of their physical situations. I do find it amusing that Amy, Zach and Tory, and now Caryn get chided for not buying homes to accommodate handicap concerns but Matt never gets the judgemental "don't you realize that's not good for you, why are you living in a house/wanting a house with a feature thats dangerous for you" routine. Why is everyone but Matt soundly judged on this? 

My own opinion is that everyone is a grown up and there's no law against stairs so whatever... but its very noticeable that Matt doesn't get the judgement others do. If Caryn should be buying a home with consideration for his disability,why isn't he required to do the same?

• Love 4

OMGosh Zach, Tori and their kids. I can't. They bore. Kids are cute, though. 

Chris and his friendship with Matt seem so fake to me. Chris is still not comfortable in front of the camera. His relationship with Amy is weird, too. He is going to miss having his 2 nights a week alone at his house. That whole soup night scene with their friends was for what reason? To show how normal they are and all the many other friends they have? I'm sick of Amy's soups! She does alot of them on her cooking video's. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That whole soup night scene with their friends was for what reason?

So Amy could say she is not used to having someone help her.  He poured a couple glasses of wine for heaven's sake, he didn't steam clean the floors and scrub the toilets!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if Karen already owned that home, looked odd with a lit lamp on the floor. Part of me said "good for her" buying her own place, and then part of me was this her trying to get Matt to make more of a commitment to her to live together in Oregon? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

The Arizona house is one story.

I think in some parts of the country a one story home is rare. It looks like in Oregon the norm is a two story. When I lived in NY it was mostly two story and in Charleston where I was once considering moving most of the homes there were also two story. Although Amy and Matt have enough money they could easily build their own ranch style home. I still don't understand why Amy didn't purchase a beautiful piece of land, a couple of acres and build instead of buying a home in a conventional neighborhood. She misses the wide open spaces of the farm so what does she do? Buys a home with very little land of course. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Well I don't think that episode could have been more boring.  The show is so repetitive.  Tori takes a kid to the Dr. and then tries to get idiot Zach to understand what is happening. Not sure why these two would have more children, it seems like Jackson and Lilah already have many struggles ahead of them.  Amy and her man discuss him moving in and the wedding all while her man constantly paws at her adjusting her clothes and rubbing her back and side during the sit-downs. She smiles and giggles with delight.  Matt, pumpkin season and farm projects.  I don't get why Caryn is buying a house, definitely going to be an investment/rental once the house at the farm is ready.  

I don't know why Amy would have the wedding at the farm, it seems it will be there unless the show is playing games and at the last minute we find out it is at another venue.

What’s up with Chris pawing at her, he does it all the time…wipes her tears, wipes her mouth, adjusts her clothes, pats her on the back like a baby, pushes her hair back….Amy seems to like it and giggles like a little girl so that’s good because it would drive me nuts if hubby was always fiddling with my clothing, wiping my face, adjusting my hair, wiping tears… hubby will give me a hug or put his arm around me and that’s fine but the constant fiddling.. stop that.. I can push my own hair If I want to, sometimes I don’t, I can dab my own mouth or eyes and please leave my clothing alone I’m not 2 yrs old! 😠

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I think in some parts of the country a one story home is rare. It looks like in Oregon the norm is a two story. When I lived in NY it was mostly two story and in Charleston where I was once considering moving most of the homes there were also two story. Although Amy and Matt have enough money they could easily build their own ranch style home. I still don't understand why Amy didn't purchase a beautiful piece of land, a couple of acres and build instead of buying a home in a conventional neighborhood. She misses the wide open spaces of the farm so what does she do? Buys a home with very little land of course. 

Lol perhaps you missed the memo Amy is Cheap. 

I'm sure this home she bought fits into some kind of Amy scenerio.  Who knows.  She's selling cheap Lemon Fudge, trying to get folks to fork over $4.99 for an ebook sent to your computer and trying to make a living on youtube with her 'gonna kill you' cooking video's.

This is her second chapter.  The first was a real money maker thanks to Matt Roloff.  The second...not so much.  Just hanging on.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Lol perhaps you missed the memo Amy is Cheap. 

I'm sure this home she bought fits into some kind of Amy scenerio.  Who knows.  She's selling cheap Lemon Fudge, trying to get folks to fork over $4.99 for an ebook sent to your computer and trying to make a living on youtube with her 'gonna kill you' cooking video's.

This is her second chapter.  The first was a real money maker thanks to Matt Roloff.  The second...not so much.  Just hanging on.

I think Amy would love a beautiful private home on acreage but she doesn’t have a Matt to make it happen so she bought a typical  little house in a neighborhood… it’s a typical contractor build with cheap finishing, nothing special.

no way is Chris the type to buy acreage and build her a dream home… I think he’s probably cheaper than Amy.

I think Chris is impressed with Matt and has a man crush going on.. getting stock tips… Chris looked like a kid in a candy store at Matt’s pumpkin season and he was bubbling over with praise.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Its a four bedroom home that seems quite spacious. Pretty sure its not a slapped together shanty. By all reports its a pleasant upscale neighborhood. 

I'm sorry, I just find it hilarious to say its a little house.

• Love 5

Amy mentioned once on the show that she couldn't take care of a huge house with a lot of land (I am paraphrasing)   I think she would have to get a complete buy in from Chris that he was willing to do most of the upkeep work and he may not want to be bothered with it all.  He has his career as a real estate agent.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Amy mentioned once on the show that she couldn't take care of a huge house with a lot of land (I am paraphrasing)   I think she would have to get a complete buy in from Chris that he was willing to do most of the upkeep work and he may not want to be bothered with it all.  He has his career as a real estate agent.

LOL they both need Matt in their lives to take care of things and make things happen like he did for his whole family.

Follow the money comes to mind.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

no way is Chris the type to buy acreage and build her a dream home… I think he’s probably cheaper than Amy.

He doesn't have to buy her anything. She surely has the money to buy it herself. As far as building the home, that's what contractors are for. He doesn't have to do any of the hard stuff.  As far a taking care of land, she can hire a lawn service for that. It's easy when you have money. 

28 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I think Chris is impressed with Matt and has a man crush going on.. getting stock tips… Chris looked like a kid in a candy store at Matt’s pumpkin season and he was bubbling over with praise.

I find it to be a very strange dynamic. Man crush indeed. I don't blame Amy one bit for being uncomfortable with their friendship. 

• Love 2

Mod Announcement:

Reminder to keep your posts focused on the show and not criticisms of each other. State your point once or twice and MOVE ON, before bickering becomes uncivil. 

Thank you.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Well I don't think that episode could have been more boring.  The show is so repetitive.  Tori takes a kid to the Dr. and then tries to get idiot Zach to understand what is happening. Not sure why these two would have more children, it seems like Jackson and Lilah already have many struggles ahead of them.  Amy and her man discuss him moving in and the wedding all while her man constantly paws at her adjusting her clothes and rubbing her back and side during the sit-downs. She smiles and giggles with delight.  Matt, pumpkin season and farm projects.  I don't get why Caryn is buying a house, definitely going to be an investment/rental once the house at the farm is ready.  

I don't know why Amy would have the wedding at the farm, it seems it will be there unless the show is playing games and at the last minute we find out it is at another venue.

I have to question the wisdom of bringing children into the world who have these sorts of physical problems. Tori knew this so she should not be surprised that she has turned into a worry wart. These kids are going to take up all of her time and cause a lot of anxiety and the rest of your life😞

I felt really bad for Matt climbing the stairs with his crutches. One false move and he would’ve tumbled over backwards to his death possibly. I don’t get these women buying these houses with steps when they live with dwarf mates. 

3 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Karen already owned that home, looked odd with a lit lamp on the floor. Part of me said "good for her" buying her own place, and then part of me was this her trying to get Matt to make more of a commitment to her to live together in Oregon? 

Looks like an Internet router on the floor too. 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I still don't understand why Amy didn't purchase a beautiful piece of land, a couple of acres and build instead of buying a home in a conventional neighborhood. She misses the wide open spaces of the farm so what does she do? Buys a home with very little land of course. 

I remember Amy going house-hunting with Deb at one point and walking poor Felix on a leash around her neighborhood; something about doggie poop bags.  Looks like the same neighborhood where she ended up buying (Deb actually pet-sits for her when she's off on one of her many bike trips with Chris).  I, too, was surprised.  My heart broke for both Felix and Lucy; those two loved the farm and each other!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

He doesn't have to buy her anything. She surely has the money to buy it herself. As far as building the home, that's what contractors are for. He doesn't have to do any of the hard stuff.  As far a taking care of land, she can hire a lawn service for that. It's easy when you have money. 

I find it to be a very strange dynamic. Man crush indeed. I don't blame Amy one bit for being uncomfortable with their friendship. 

Yes I know that you can hire a contractor but it still takes up a lot of your time if you’re building a custom home and it’s very expensive for all the upgrades we’ve done it twice, even if you hire a decorator to help you choose carpets, hardwood, countertops, cabinets etc hundreds of decisions take place and you have to be involved… even the tiny bit of renovating that Amy did took time to choose paint colors, countertops, flooring and In the scenes we saw on TV it didn’t look like something that Chris was excited about or enjoyed that much…. To build a dream home is a commitment and owning a large property is a commitment as well, you can hire grounds people but you don’t just check out and expect them to know exactly what you want day to day season after season…. We’ve done all of that and you have to really want it or else it can become a burden.

Matt loves owning a large property and running the place…. I don’t think Chris is that type of guy and Amy has said that she wasn’t any good at it and that Matt did a much better job than she would, Zach said the same thing, he said the place would rot away if his mom was running things because she doesn’t like spending on repairs or hiring people.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

find it to be a very strange dynamic. Man crush indeed. I don't blame Amy one bit for being uncomfortable with their friendship. 

I get it, and if it really bothers her, her man should back off.  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if the reason Amy wasn’t in a hurry to move boxes from the garage is that she  is planning to buy something more suitable after she and Chris marry. 

I think she's been quoted as saying that she plans to keep this house for about ten years.  What would be "more suitable"?  I don't think it's a square footage problem...

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if the reason Amy wasn’t in a hurry to move boxes from the garage is that she  is planning to buy something more suitable after she and Chris marry. 

Why isn't this house suitable for them?  Why would they need more rooms?  Another room for storing boxes?  I wouldn't want to give up that beautiful back yard.

• Love 2

Does Amy own her new house outright or does Chris own part of it?  Wonder if they will have a prenup?  Not sure what the laws are in Oregon but once they are married in the matrimonial home wouldn’t Chris automatically own half?

Chris sold his home and likely has a good amount of cash so it might also be something he might think is in his best interest……

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Does Amy own her new house outright or does Chris own part of it?  Wonder if they will have a prenup?  Not sure what the laws are in Oregon but once they are married in the matrimonial home wouldn’t Chris automatically own half?

Chris sold his home and likely has a good amount of cash so it might also be something he might think is in his best interest……

When Amy was buying her house chris mentioned that she didn’t need a mortgage and could scoop up a good deal if she saw one because she had the funds to go in with a cash offer and Amy has made a point of saying that this is the first house that’s she’s ever bought all on her own and that she likes that feeling…. When she bought it Chris hadn’t even sold his house yet.

they’ve been very open about him moving into HER house.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Amy bought this house; Chris isn't part owner.  As for property and marriage, "joint" would be anything accrued after the ceremony, so the house would remain solely Amy's unless she deeded it to him in part or whole afterwards.  Chris apparently liquidated his real estate asset and is living large playing the market!

• Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The reason I said something more suitable is that Amy has complained about various things since moving in, the yard, the close neighbors, having to pick up after dog on walks, etc.  And they don’t have the nice sunsets like the farm had.  Just speculating.  

Laws vary by state, but generally if the spouse buys the house before marriage, it stays their separate property, unless they change the deed or do some act that indicates they want the spouse to share ownership.  Of course, the spouse may have rights under probate laws, if the deed owner spouse dies.  I bet Chris ensures they work that out in writing, if he’s planning on contributing to the mortgage.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The reason I said something more suitable is that Amy has complained about various things since moving in, the yard, the close neighbors, having to pick up after dog on walks, etc.  And they don’t have the nice sunsets like the farm had.  Just speculating.  

Laws vary by state, but generally if the spouse buys the house before marriage, it stays their separate property, unless they change the deed or do some act that indicates they want the spouse to share ownership.  Of course, the spouse may have rights under probate laws, if the deed owner spouse dies.  I bet Chris ensures they work that out in writing, if he’s planning on contributing to the mortgage.  

There IS no mortgage; Amy paid cash with the money from her buyout (or other assets).  However, Chris could retroactively charge for all the manual labor he's provided since she bought it!  Working on the house, I mean.

• Love 4

Amy said that they plan to stay in her house for 10 years and then move to a rancher 1 storey house because eventually she thinks the stairs will become a problem or something she doesn't want to deal with but for now she's fine with stairs.

She also said that they plan to retire in 10 years so maybe they will buy the next house together.

• Useful 1

Amy uses the house for her business!  Taping in the kitchen and now entertaining in other rooms. She uses office space upstairs!

Heck even the garage might be considered business property since she stores Pumpkin Season items there  

Keeping the home in her name might be what her tax man told her to do!

They may share other living expenses. 

For the record I’m sure Amy enjoys being house boss!

• Love 4

I actually felt happy for her when she spoke about this being the first house she’s ever bought all on her own, it seemed like it meant a lot to her.

when she told Zach it was especially touching because he pointed out that he’d already bought 2 homes and he could understand that it must mean a lot to her because it’s a special feeling to buy your own home.

I think it probably gives her a sense of security and stability that she owns the home, I think she made a good decision having Chris move in with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

There IS no mortgage; Amy paid cash with the money from her buyout (or other assets).  However, Chris could retroactively charge for all the manual labor he's provided since she bought it!  Working on the house, I mean.

That was my understanding that she paid cash for the house.  WOWWW....under what circumstances would Chris "charge retroactively for all the manual labor he provided..."  I thought all of Chris' "labor" was a "labor of love."😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

That was my understanding that she paid cash for the house.  WOWWW....under what circumstances would Chris "charge retroactively for all the manual labor he provided..."  I thought all of Chris' "labor" was a "labor of love."😄

Yes, if Chris is going to charge for labor, then perhaps he should pay room and board? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

What’s up with Chris pawing at her, he does it all the time…wipes her tears, wipes her mouth, adjusts her clothes, pats her on the back like a baby, pushes her hair back….Amy seems to like it and giggles like a little girl so that’s good because it would drive me nuts if hubby was always fiddling with my clothing, wiping my face, adjusting my hair, wiping tears… hubby will give me a hug or put his arm around me and that’s fine but the constant fiddling.. stop that.. I can push my own hair If I want to, sometimes I don’t, I can dab my own mouth or eyes and please leave my clothing alone I’m not 2 yrs old! 😠

The way he paws at her during the THs squicks me out. He seems so attached to that fleshy upper arm of hers. 

Reminds me in a way of Erin and Ben from "Hometown" on hgtv. I read that he explained that he keeps his arm around her when they are doing their th segments because when they first started filming she was so anxious and nervous his physical support really helped her. And I guess doing it just stuck. To me there is an intimacy between them that comes across in such a nice way. Ben said that they had been criticized for this though because some were seeing his gesture of support as demeaning or possessive towards Erin when this is not true.

I don't get that same loving and supportive vibe from Amy and Chris at all. 

Yes, I know every couple is different. 😉

Edited by seasons
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

Yes, if Chris is going to charge for labor, then perhaps he should pay room and board? 

This was in response to someone asking if Chris would have any legal claim to Amy's house after marriage.  But that's no doubt the deal they've worked out; in most of Amy's giant-head selfies taken around the house, "my man" is shown blurred in the background working on some project or other that she'd never be able to do herself.  So it's all good as long as Chris enjoys home improvement!  Presumably he mows the grass and tends the garden, too, but it's probably no more than he had to do around his own home.  The more pressing question is: will Amy make room for his pet fish???

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don't see why the rush or need to get married again.  Amy is free, has money and can do whatever she desires.  She can see Chris when she wants and then send him home when she has had enough.  Win, win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Kathy said:

I don't see why the rush or need to get married again.  Amy is free, has money and can do whatever she desires.  She can see Chris when she wants and then send him home when she has had enough.  Win, win.

Well and good but...The show must go on!  They will run the wedding and wedding planning for every penny they can squeeze out of the network!

Last I read Any was 'in negotiations ' on how much moolah she could get out of allowing them to film her nuptials!

Can you imagine that greedy little lady in negotiations!  Lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kathy said:

Because, as always, it's all about Matt.  I'm sure she feels the need to remarry before he does (it remains to be seen if that will actually be the case or not)...  Amy is nothing if not competitive and seems determined that Matt be made aware of every detail of her "second act," whether that's to make him jealous - stifling laughter - or just rub it in.  I remember she couldn't wait to run over to the DW on some pretext to let Matt know she was going on her first motorcycle ride with "my man"!  It backfired, however; he was very happy for her!  The urgency to marry can't be on religious grounds since we know they're now officially living together and presumably were doing the mamba long before that finally happened, and I can't think of any other reason...  I agree that they have the IDEAL arrangement living separately and BOTH would be happier that way, but it's Matt's - I mean AMY'S way or the highway!

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Yeah, exactly. Some people prefer the tradition, some don't.

"My man" reportedly lived with a former GF for seven years without marrying, so evidently it's not him cherishing the tradition.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Someone else summed it up a while back - it's Amy religious beliefs that are driving her need to remarry. She's old-fashioned and doesn't want to "shack up." This is why I think Amy likes the idea of marriage more than actually being married. She can't even make room for the guy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

Amy is nothing if not competitive and seems determined that Matt be made aware of every detail of her "second act," whether that's to make him jealous - stifling laughter - or just rub it in.  I remember she couldn't wait to run over to the DW on some pretext to let Matt know she was going on her first motorcycle ride with "my man"!  It backfired, however; he was very happy for her! 

I can just imagine the Matt bashing if he were the one who constantly looked for an opportunity to rub his relationship with Caryn in Amy's face..."I'm doing this, for the first time, with MY WOMAN! I'm doing that with MY WOMAN! I doubt her reaction to that would be as cool as his is to her ridiculously juvenile attempts to make him jealous. 

Forget jealous, heck, he appears full of gratitude toward Chris -hence their warm friendship- for finally taking this old nag off his hands, lol 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5