Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Blind Auditions Premiere

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The Blind Auditions begin as vocalists compete to be selected for a chance to win the title of "The Voice."  The coaches are Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, newly-returning coach Miley Cyrus, and new coach Jennifer Hudson.

This is the season premiere, and it will be a two-hour episode.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:59 AM, Caseysgirl said:

What? The Voice is on again!  How can we miss you if you won't go away?  Honestly I reallydon't  need to see another talent show and especially not one where none of the winners ever amount to anything.

I would say that's a bit of an exaggeration.  While none of the winners may have reached the heights of some of the early Idol winners, Cassadee and Danielle have both made it high up on the country charts and Jordan Smith has sold an impressive number of records.   My problem with this show is that the overall quality of the talent has steadily declined over the years.

• Love 5

I have watched every season but the first, but I might end up giving this one a pass. I am not a Jennifer Hudson fan - can't stand the scream-singing and ever-present melisma.  If there's a lot of that (such as her "demonstrating" how something should be sung) I'm out.  But I will give it a few episodes, since I was sure I'd hate Miley but ended up liking her quite a bit.

Edited to add:  I'm only on the first performer and I don't know if I can take any more.  Throwing clothes at him?  Whatever the hidden meaning, it's not a good look.  And more than ever, it looks to be all about the coaches.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 1

I like Miley and am glad she's back, but Hudson already has me disliking her BIG TIME from her "I have three dogs" commercial. I hope her chair is extra big so it can contain at least part of her massively too-huge ego. There's always SYTYCD on the other channel.

• Love 3

I guess I'll have to wear out the mute button on the remote to make it through the blinds.  I detest Miley and her loud mouth and have never been a fan of Hudson or her ego.  Aside from not being able to shut her piehole, what qualifies Miley to be a judge?  She's not even in the same league with most of the other judges on this show-past and present.  Her voice is average at best and she's a far cry from a role model.  YMMV, of course.  As to Hudson, she certainly has talent vocally but her voice has never been my cup-o-tea.  Massively annoying melisma and tone that is way too guttural for my taste.  I'm going to miss Alicia and her calm, quiet, lovely self.

• Love 10
On 9/20/2017 at 10:59 AM, Caseysgirl said:

What? The Voice is on again!  How can we miss you if you won't go away?  Honestly I reallydon't  need to see another talent show and especially not one where none of the winners ever amount to anything.

I hear ya, but I won't be able to help myself.  I'll watch.  

5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I have watched every season but the first, but I might end up giving this one a pass. I am not a Jennifer Hudson fan - can't stand the scream-singing and ever-present melisma.  If there's a lot of that (such as her "demonstrating" how something should be sung) I'm out.  But I will give it a few episodes, since I was sure I'd hate Miley but ended up liking her quite a bit.

6 minutes ago, limecoke said:

I guess I'll have to wear out the mute button on the remote to make it through the blinds.  I detest Miley and her loud mouth and have never been a fan of Hudson or her ego.  Aside from not being able to shut her piehole, what qualifies Miley to be a judge?  She's not even in the same league with most of the other judges on this show-past and present.  Her voice is average at best and she's a far cry from a role model.  YMMV, of course.  As to Hudson, she certainly has talent vocally but her voice has never been my cup-o-tea.  Massively annoying melisma and tone that is way too guttural for my taste.  I'm going to miss Alicia and her calm, quiet, lovely self.

Glad you guys said it.  I thought the same thing since her time on Idol.  Her voice works for some songs and in some arenas (e.g. Broadway), but the tone of her voice has not charactor or flavor to it.  It doesn't move me in any way.

• Love 5

I skipped last season with boring Alicia Keys and Gwen Stefani, which gave me a break from seeing The Voice unlike many viewers. I know JHUD was popular on The Voice UK, so I wonder if maybe the reason they haven't announced who will join Kelly Clarkson in the Spring is because they want to see if she's popular on the US version this fall before slotting her in for next season, too? I don't care for Miley's voice, but she has a fantastic personality.

• Love 1

Several good auditions. I'm glad I like a couple of people already. There's been other seasons where I didn't much like anyone the whole season. The first guy (drag queen/church singer) was quite a bit better than I expected. I also liked the older woman who performed Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive," partly because the song was such an off-the-wall choice from what you'd probably expect her to sing and she performed it very well. I also liked the guitar guy who brought his little girl out. His voice was very pretty.

I enjoyed Jennifer and Miley like I expected. Adam and Blake were alright, too. They usually don't annoy me in the auditions phase. It's later that Adam gets irksome.

• Love 1

OMG. I tuned in a little after it started--missed Chris Weavers performance -- but got some--just some--of the shoe nonsense. Enough to realize I won't enjoy J-Hud. She's obviously someone who's come on determined to be a BIG PERSONALITY and the equal of anybody. I find her obnoxious. I wound up muting everyone but Blake because I knew he wouldn't be manic.

Wow, what a waste of time (that they could have so easily edited out, saving more time for performances).  Why so hyper. Even the clips upcoming Miley and Jennifer seem so overly excitable and mugging. She's constantly "on", the life of the party (only...not). It's exhausting. 

I've been there for every season, but one song in, and I think I'll be out for this one (or muting about half of the commentary).  Why, show, why?

• Love 8

Okay.  Here we go again for another season.

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Dave Crosby (3)
Brandon Showell (3)

Team Miley
Janice Freeman (2)
Brooke Simpson (4)

Team Jennifer
Chris Weaver (4)
Shi'Ann Jones (2)
Lucas Holliday (1)

Team Blake
Mitchell Lee (3)
Esera Tuaolo (2)

Names in bold indicate an artist who has newly been added to a team.  Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of chairs to turn for each artist.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Blind was montaged.

Also, despite Jennifer calling her team "Team JHud," I will not be indulging her ego that much and will be calling her team by her actual name.  And so far, I like Jennifer, mind you.  Just don't see why she should get special rights to have her team named after her nickname and not her real one.

• Love 4

I'm not interested in Jennifer's own music, but I thought she was a good coach on The Voice UK. And considering what a poor track record female coaches have on both the US and UK editions of this show, the fact that on her first season, she ended up with two of the final four artists, including the winner, is a testament to her. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I like Miley and am glad she's back, but Hudson already has me disliking her BIG TIME from her 

YES. Hudson is an intolerable self absorbed mess.  I check in with this show in this round and again at the end.  I could barely even do that when Gwen and Alicia were on.  I did t like them either.  Lol 

The only other thing I've ever seen Jennifer Hudson on was her season of American Idol, where I liked her a lot, so I wasn't expecting to be so annoyed by her last night.  She was way too ON the entire time.  And when you're sitting next to one of the most "way too ON" people of all-time in Miley and making her seem subdued, you really need to dial it down a couple dozen notches.  Is it too late to switch her out for Pharrell?

• Love 5

OMG.....could Jennifer be any more annoying?  Miley was too.  I had actually liked Miley previously, because, I do think that she did a good job and really gave her all with her team members, but, if she's going to go toe to toe with Jennifer in the loud mouth competition, then it's going to be really disturbing.  

I wasn't going to watch this season, (I'm really tired of it. Enough is enough.), but, I saw that one of the standouts is a fellow North Carolinian! Her name is Brooke Simpson. She's a Native American.  She actually graduated from Norlina Christian Academy, which is located in my dad's hometown!  Small world, so I suppose that I have to support her with my votes, if she makes it to the lives. They hooked me in AGAIN!  Our local news has a story on her. 

http://www.wral.com/all-four-judges-battle-for-nc-native-on-the-voice-/16973994/

I sort of feel for Jennifer's team, because, they may get punished, due to people not liking Jennifer.  She really is obnoxious. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I'm a little surprised at all the animosity towards Jennifer. I'm a long time No Doubt fan, but have been so disappointed in Gwen as a coach. She's been terrible (except when Gavin helped her). I like seeing a woman going all out, balls to the walls, like Jennifer is. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

She was way too ON the entire time.  And when you're sitting next to one of the most "way too ON" people of all-time in Miley and making her seem subdued, you really need to dial it down a couple dozen notches. 

And she sang too much. It's not your performance venue, J. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

The only other thing I've ever seen Jennifer Hudson on was her season of American Idol, where I liked her a lot, so I wasn't expecting to be so annoyed by her last night.  She was way too ON the entire time.  And when you're sitting next to one of the most "way too ON" people of all-time in Miley and making her seem subdued, you really need to dial it down a couple dozen notches.  Is it too late to switch her out for Pharrell?

13 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And she sang too much. It's not your performance venue, J. 

I haven't seen the episode yet but these two posts say it all.   In-your-face showboaters are the worst.  At least now I know that when I do watch, I'll be cringing and can emotionally prepare.

• Love 3

To me, when you try to make yourself the center of attention TOO much, you take the focus off the contestants.  There will be plenty of time for the coaches to show their stuff.  So, being so loud and over the top on the first episode??? Odd to me and not appealing. I can't envision Jennifer being quiet enough to let her team members shine.  I'm actually relieved that Brooke didn't pick her. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Cramps said:

I'm a little surprised at all the animosity towards Jennifer. I'm a long time No Doubt fan, but have been so disappointed in Gwen as a coach. She's been terrible (except when Gavin helped her). I like seeing a woman going all out, balls to the walls, like Jennifer is. 

People don't like it coming from female coaches. It's alright if Adam, Blake, Usher, Ceelo, etc. are OTT or pushy, but female coaches need to sit quietly and smile at the men's jokes like Gwen, Alicia, and Shakira, otherwise they're loud, have an ego, and so on.

• Love 13

I thought the contestants last night were all pretty good. I did feel sorry for the guy coming back for a second time being told to come back AGAIN. I hope he does. But still ... it stinks to get all that backstory, then have to go home. On the other hand, there are some singers I like already so far. Hudson was obnoxious as expected. I'm dreading having to hear about her "three dogs" though. Let's get that over with quick. And she does have a "stink eye!" On the other hand, I've never seen Blake, Usher or Ceelo go OTT or wild-and-crazy like Hudson was last night. Adam gave it a try to see if it would work for him, which it did not. Hey, I'd rank just as hard on any MAN who said he had three dogs named for his ME ME ME IT'S ALL ABOUT ME three awards/movies. Thank goodness there isn't one on The Voice this year.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

People don't like it coming from female coaches. It's alright if Adam, Blake, Usher, Ceelo, etc. are OTT or pushy, but female coaches need to sit quietly and smile at the men's jokes like Gwen, Alicia, and Shakira, otherwise they're loud, have an ego, and so on.

I'm pretty sure no one ever said that.

• Love 6

People don't "say" it. It's sadly just part of the culture. 

Also I really like that we now regularly have two female coaches. It's totally changed the dynamics from the token woman who sits there usually coming in last,  (or in Christina's case, being called a bitch for being strong). 

• Love 11

I love having two women coaches, but just by virtue of being female doesn't mean they can't be obnoxious which I definitely did find J-Hud to be. I did like her a lot on AI. Maybe she was just trying too hard on her first day, but I agree with those who want to dial it back a notch (or two). Also, someone can be both strong and be unpleasant which I did find Christina frequently to be. Great voice, though.

I've watched every season of The Voice except the second season, but I feel almost worn out from it. I do wish it would go to once a year. No one is forcing me to watch, but for some reason, I'm compelled to watch like a bad habit I need to break. :)

• Love 7
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

I have watched every season but the first, but I might end up giving this one a pass. I am not a Jennifer Hudson fan - can't stand the scream-singing and ever-present melisma.  If there's a lot of that (such as her "demonstrating" how something should be sung) I'm out.  

Well, your worst fears have already been realized. Her ego demanded that she out-sing (out-scream) every big voiced competitor. Christina sometimes did the same thing, but Hudson might be even worse in that regard. And like Christina,she will encourage the most over-indulgent, showboating kind of singing from her team. And telling a contestant that you see them as a "mini-me" would make me want to pick anybody but her as my coach.

The one positive I might find in Hudson is that she brings some energy to the show.  Unlike super-chill Alicia Keyes. For the gazillion dollars the judges get, you'd think they could do more than close their eyes and gently rock back and forth to the music.

I do agree that Hudson's big personality will make Miley go overboard to get attention. Which, since she can't compete vocally, she will do in other ways. Could she have spent any more time this episode showing off her bare midriff? Expect to see lots more skin this season.

19 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Why does every Indie girl have to wear the same hat. If you're really indie be more creative in your choice of clothes.

19 hours ago, endure said:

The judges are going on ad nauseam...... even more than before.....and oh sooooo scripted.

That's why this show is the perfect candidate for recording on DVR. I fast forward through about 90% of the judges' antics, and the endless "choose me, choose me" nonsense. I could NOT watch this show live.

I was surprised that indie girl didn't get picked. She was no worse than some that have gone pretty far on this show. But I guarantee there will be more to come. Also wearing hats.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Dang, wish we could have got Boy George instead of JHud. She was the same on Voice UK, whereas I found George hilarious and real. 

Anyways, NO WAY the coaches did not already know the youtube people were popular youtube people. Puhlease. 

• Love 2

I found Jennifer annoying during her "Idol" days but over the years she has grown on me. I appreciated that in this episode she made some actual technical comments rather than "you're a special unicorn angel snowflake singer and I'll help you achieve SUPER special angel snowflake unicorn status if you pick me."

The shoe incident cracked me up. I'm enjoying how involved she is rather than just leaving the antics up to the usual Blake/Adam yada yada yada.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Dang, wish we could have got Boy George instead of JHud. She was the same on Voice UK, whereas I found George hilarious and real. 

As a Boy George superfan, I declare you my favorite poster for saying this!  I so wish we could've gotten him too.

• Love 2

No one has explained to me yet the "throwing stuff at the singer" thing.  Is it a tradition in the south?  In church?  I'm getting that it's supposed to be a good thing, but I have never heard of throwing one's belongings at a performer you like.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
1 minute ago, MaryPatShelby said:

No one has explained to me yet the "throwing stuff at the singer" thing.  Is it a tradition in the south?  In church?  I'm getting that it's supposed to be a good thing, but I have never heard of throwing one's and belongings at a performer you like.

Yes.  Chris Weaver said that among African-Americans, if you get a shoe (or any article of clothing or any item at all) thrown at you, it means you're doing something right.  Jennifer also said as much after he'd performed his Blind.  And as someone who's grown up in the African-American church, I can confirm that it's happened numerous times in my experiences.

• Love 2

I've heard of panties getting thrown up on stage, but, not shoes....and I'm from the South. lol  From the looks of Jennifer and Miley's shoes, they need to keep them on.  They could hurt someone. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

okay, i'm so sad but i think i'm done. for now. i have never been a fan of J.Hud -- oh please, sweetheart. you do NOT give yourself a nickname -- as others have said. don't like that style of singing, as others have said. and seriously cannot stand the hooting and hollering and if they are throwing shoes already? shit, man, what the freak is coming down the pike for us? i miss alicia keyes so much already. i'm also severely annoyed by miley. still have flashbacks when i see her, about her sticking out her tongue and wiggling her ass against robin thicke. which was mostly him, i'm sure. i do think she's a decent singer. again, as others have said, but what i need to get off my chest, this shit slows down the show so much. i'm so freaking disappointed.

I was generally pleased with the performances in this episode.  My favorite was Brooke Simpson, followed closely by Chris Weaver.  They both have really great voices, but did not go over the top.  I'd probably rank the football player third.  Lucas overdid the falsetto and Shi'Ann her runs, but both do have good voices and could improve if their coaches can reign then in a little.

13 hours ago, TheodoraK said:

i have never been a fan of J.Hud -- oh please, sweetheart. you do NOT give yourself a nickname -- as others have said.

In all fairness to her, I'm pretty sure the media gave her that nickname, I've heard it for years.

• Love 3

I haven't watched The Voice in about 2 or 3 years. I will watch this season, and it's because of Jennifer Hudson. Her type of singing is my type of music. I'm here for all of that. I've been a fan since her AI days. 

I like Miley, she's seems cool and down to earth. I like all of the judges. 

On 9/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I've heard of panties getting thrown up on stage, but, not shoes....and I'm from the South. lol  From the looks of Jennifer and Miley's shoes, they need to keep them on.  They could hurt someone. 

Patti Labelle. I. Think that it's homage to her. I think that I read that somewhere. 

• Love 5

Looks like it's going to a season of big singers, divas, belters, etc.  Which is not my to my taste.  I'm going to give it a few more episodes - there have been a couple of singers with some nuance instead of singing only to the rafters so I have a bit of hope.

Oh my, Jennifer is a big personality isn't she?

• Love 1

I'm torn. I'm not a fan of big belter singers who go for the glory notes. They're very talented, it's just not my cup of tea. But I have always adored Jennifer Hudson. I just always remember Simon Cowell talking about her appearance on AI instead of her talent then she won an Oscar which was the greatest "Up yours!" ever. I've liked her so far. And if her "big personality" means we get less of the Blake & Adam Bro Show, I'm all for it.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 4

Even though I liked her sticking it to Simon, I've never like Jennifer Hudson's singing, and I don't like her as a judge on The Voice.  I don't like Miley either, so there's that.  Aaaaannnnd I didn't like Alicia Keys or Pharrell or Gwen Stefani, lol.  Actually, the only two judges I have liked are Blake and Adam. 

• Love 1

It's funny, because Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Jennifer Holliday and Etta James are some of my favorite artists, and I love gospel/soul, but I find myself not liking the "big" singers on these competition shows. I think it's one thing to be 'moved' by the music, to where you enter OTT territory and scream, belt, growl, etc. - that, I love. It's organic, it's real, and I don't care if it's not perfect, or if it's "uncomfortable". But so often on these shows it feels contrived. Maybe they're trying to be THAT type of singer, which is why it comes across as phony, or they just flat out aren't that type of singer but they're egged on by their coaches. Which is why I hate when Xtina/Gwen/Jennifer encourage it.

On the Voice UK there was a really good singer (forget the name), but they WAY over-embellished on the runs, tricks, and growls. In the pitch, I think it was Gavin Rossdale who said that if chosen, he'd work on bringing out the natural quality of the voice and playing with dynamics. Jennifer Hudson, in contrast, said she wanted even MORE - that she'd work on bringing more runs, louder belts, etc. out of the contestant. Well, they ended up picking Jennifer, and she absolutely did them a disservice.

I love watching YouTube clips of singers doing crazy runs and vocal tricks, but that doesn't mean I want to hear that when they're singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb". I think that's what it boils down to. Are the stylings ADDING to the song, and the audience's experience? Or are they an exhibition for your abilities? I feel like on The Voice, it's 90% the latter.

Also, I wasn't blown away by anyone in this episode. I watched both episodes back to back, so forgive me if I mixed up the order, but I liked the natural ability of the 15 year old (she needs to tone it down a bit though and choose her moments), and the warm personality of the NFL player. His voice was "ok", but I found myself smiling throughout his segment.

Lastly, Blake really is the best at pitching. Whenever I see him make a smart, sensible, and compelling pitch and the contestent chooses someone else, I'm always thinking "wtf? are we watching the same show?" That being said, I think I'd pick Miley, given how involved she was with her crew last year. She makes a strong case for supporting the artist long-term, even after the show.

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2017 at 2:54 PM, Jabu said:

Yes.  Chris Weaver said that among African-Americans, if you get a shoe (or any article of clothing or any item at all) thrown at you, it means you're doing something right.  Jennifer also said as much after he'd performed his Blind.  And as someone who's grown up in the African-American church, I can confirm that it's happened numerous times in my experiences.

I don't think it's exclusively an African-American thing.  I saw Lady Gaga throw her shoe at the dancers when she was a guest judge on SYTYCD.

• Love 2