Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Bread Week

• Start Topic

If it weren't for Prue, I think Paul might have still given him star baker. He did do that whole jokey thing with he and Steve switching places while judging the showstopper.

• Paul generally seems to be showing more of a sense of humor without Sue in the tent. Less uptight.
  • Sandi isn't in the show as much as I'd like but kudos to her, Noel or whoever came up with that Prue Paul's Drag Race joke before the technical. That led to the twitter managers for both shows to pun at each other.
  • It scared me a little when Noel demonstrated his old timey, "well-bred" voice during the show open.
Edited by halopub
spelling
  • Love 7

Steve would have got star baker if his tea cakes hadn't been so bad. Julia did better than him on the other two challenges and was close enough on the showstopper. 

I'm glad he didn't make it three in a row, imagine the pressure he'd be under going forward! Plus it's nice to not have an apparent runaway winner too early. 

That said, I like that they're judged each week on just that week.  And last weeks star baker could easily fall at the next weeks fence. 

• Love 5

As an American, I liked that tea cakes were unfamiliar to several of them. I've heard the term before, but could only picture something like jaffa cakes. Which would certainly not fit in Bread Week. So this let me feel like I'm not completely out of the loop.

• Love 7

I just have to say that 3 weeks in and I am pleasantly surprised.  The format remains the same and as much as I liked Mel, Sue, and Mary, I find that I am not really missing them as much as I thought I would.  I like Sandi and Noel.  They seem to be a bit less boisterous than Mel and Sue, but that is not a bad thing.  While no one can replace Mary, Prue is pleasant enough.  And Paul seems a bit more mellow this year.

Really, it is all about the bakers, and this year they seem to be a good group.  There is really no one who gets on my nerves.  

Bread week?  I guess it is hard to come up with new ideas.  Squid ink bread and beetroot bread do not appeal to me at all.  The sculptures were fun, but I found myself missing Paul and his lion.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 16

I wish more people watched this live to stir up the discussion more!

Overall I'm enjoying Noel, while Sandi and Prue have earned total indifference from me so far.

Julia's showstopper was okay, but I don't think it was in the same universe as Steven's.

At some point the show will have to decide it is okay to redo challenges from previous seasons. Otherwise the bakes are just going to get silly. Sillier even than a tennis cake.

The contestants are mostly likable, and aside from Steven I'm not sure who the early favorites are. Liam is a likable mess, but I get the feeling that if he can cling on long enough he could turn a corner and become a contender. Sophie seems steady so far. The same could probably be said of James, Tom, and Yan, though they stand out a little less to me. 

Though I understand why we are not, I wish we were privy to all the conversations between the judges as they choose the Star Baker and who goes home.

• Love 4

Ahh I love bread week. Not only because I am a bread baker, but I find it really entertaining to watch the bakers stare at their ovens and wait. People who bake bread don't do that in normal life so watching them do it competitively is always funny to me.

Paul is a lot more jokey this year. I think him and Prue are finding their own groove. She has a more sibling like relationship to him even though she is closer to Mary's age than his. Paul did joke with Mary a lot and it's been referenced off the show as well. However, it is not the same vibe and Paul even did mention how Mary felt similar to his own mum.

An interesting shot was when they were interviewing Julia about her showstopper that Noel complimented and encouraged her, but Paul was in the centre frame. He seemed slightly bemused and amused by Noel commenting. I liked Noel before this show, but I think I love him even more now.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, ae2 said:

Liam is a likable mess, but I get the feeling that if he can cling on long enough he could turn a corner and become a contender.

I don't remember specifics, but Prue spoke very warmly of his baking ability when she appeared on the season opener of Extra Slice. I don't know that he'll necessarily make it far but I thought her compliments implied that she got to see at least a few weeks of baking.

I usually hate bread week and watch just so I know who is being let go, but this was a very enjoyable episode.

Steven's Showstopper was everything that Stacy's (is that her name?) Illusion cake was not.

Liam has good ideas but I hope his execution skills didn't peak with the illusion cake.

• Love 4

I thought that both the concept and the execution of Julia's showstopper were really basic and too simple. She basically made three different colored lumps of bread. I loved when Sandi pointedly asked Paul if there was something about the shape of the snail that he liked and everyone just laughed.

I couldn't believe that one of Liam's ice cream cones started sliding apart RIGHT after they did the cottage cake technical where Paul said during the judging that you have to stick your fingers into the middle to keep the two layers together while they bake. Still, his flavors keep getting good comment from the judges so I think he could end up hanging on until close to the final.

Steven's handbag showstopper was really impressive. I loved the chain made of tiny breadsticks.

I loved Katie's showstopper!

I wish Yan's dragon had been a bit greener.

Were the bakers limited to certain natural food coloring sources? Everyone seemed to use the same ones. I was wondering why no one used dragonfruit to get a brighter color than the beetroot shades they ended up with. I think that the kind of drab colors limited their designs somewhat. Imagine if someone had used butterfly pea to make a bright blue bread!

• Love 4

Love love love this show. I liked Sue and Mel but Noel and Sandi are slightly more to my taste. They are humorous without being overly pesky or meddling. I used to feel that Sue and Mel were a bit much. 

Loved Prue and have seen her as a judge a zillion times before so I was pleasantly freaking out when I realised they cast her as the new judge.  Very smart casting by TPTB!

Liam's cones looked decent by the time he presented them I thought. I was so stressed that he was a goner when I saw them topple in the oven. I like him!

Steven's handbag was ridiculously awesome and I loved how the judges looked like they had been slapped while they were eating it. I like all of the bakers but I hope he wins! It's almost like he's got magical powers with the amount of work he is able to achieve compared to the others in the same timeframe. 

• Love 6
On 9/15/2017 at 5:09 AM, theodyssey said:

For the American viewers: the opening schtick was a play on this very famous British advert from the 70s. If you struggled with Flo's accent, you'll probably have difficulties with this!

Thank heavens for closed captioning.

I am watching on a Canadian channel here in the US.  Very unfortunately they cut out the technical bake which makes things extremely confusing.  But still watch because no idea when this will hit our PBS stations in the US.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I am watching on a Canadian channel here in the US.  Very unfortunately they cut out the technical bake which makes things extremely confusing.  But still watch because no idea when this will hit our PBS stations in the US.

Same (except I'm watching in Canada), If I knew for sure that this season would show up on PBS at some point, I could quit watching this hollowed-out version, but I don't, so I can't.

So far, I'm pulling for the girls, I think. I like Julia a lot, and Yan, and Kate. Oh, and Sophie. I keep getting Stacey on this series confused with Danny from the series currently running on PBS. For the guys, I think I like Tom best. And also Noel, but he doesn't count. :)

6 hours ago, strippedhalo said:

I keep getting Stacey on this series confused with Danny from the series currently running on PBS.

They do look alike, I thought maybe I had somehow changed the channel.  I don't dislike anybody but I really think missing the technical throws a monkey wrench in any way of knowing how they are doing.

And, I agree, I would rather wait for PBS but don't know if this season will ever make it there so I will soldier on with CBC.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And, I agree, I would rather wait for PBS but don't know if this season will ever make it there so I will soldier on with CBC

By the time it comes to PBS (if it even does), you'll have completely forgotten the CBC version, so it will be like watching it for the first time.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:
6 minutes ago, grinchyheart said:

You can watch the entire episodes, technical bake included, on the CBC tv app. 

In the US?  Because the website is blocked in the US.

Sorry, no, I'm in Canada. And if they're trying to drag traffic to the app, there are certainly better ways to do it.

Edited by grinchyheart

No bread sculptures will ever top Paul’s lion and I’m still bitter that Ian was given the win.

I look forward to bread week but this was meh.  No stand outs for me, although Stephen’s was the best.  I think I have a mini crush on Noel.  He looks like he would be loud and goofy, but I find him very low key and sweet.

• Love 8
On 9/27/2017 at 3:32 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My tears were Flo-ing

giphy.gif

She was ornery and awesome and I'll miss her. 

I gave it to this episode to warm up to the new hosts and I have to say I really like them. While I miss Sue and Mel, I really like Noel and Sandi. At first Noel looked like he'd be all wacky and zany (i.e. annoying) but he's low-key and very charming. And Sandi is a doll. They both have a good chemistry between them. 

ETA: And I love Nan!!

On 9/14/2017 at 9:57 PM, Athena said:

Ahh I love bread week. Not only because I am a bread baker, but I find it really entertaining to watch the bakers stare at their ovens and wait. People who bake bread don't do that in normal life so watching them do it competitively is always funny to me.

At the beginning of the technical, Paul said that a challenge was to keep the top bun from rolling off the bottom one. So I was just WAITING for it to happen. I know, I'm a bad person :)

• Love 3

I just watched this episode on Netflix and it made me re-think my menu for the week to figure out where I can slot in homemade bread. As I was thinking that, my husband commented, "dang, now I really want yummy bread." I think there is garlic focaccia in our future.

Topic? I am so glad that Netflix is running this and I am trying to be disciplined and watch only one episode a week.

• Love 2

This is definitely my favorite ep so far of the season. Everything just gelled perfectly! Sandi and Noel’s schtick was funny, Prue and Paul were in a bit of a shoving thing at one point in the signature judging, and Prue was definitely getting the double entendres, unlike Mary. Liam is super-charming, loved that Julia won SB, and Steven’s handbag was just amazing. 

• Love 1

Bread week is always kind of boring for me because I've never made bread in my life. It's just a lot of watching it proof. Boring. One thing though I'm enjoying Paul this season like I never have before. Something's different, he's just a lot more fun.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2017 at 2:17 PM, Snow Fairy said:

I try to like Katie, but her hair bugs me all the time. Why doesn't she tie all of it? Hate the way her long hair hangs around her face

Yes! I keep expecting someone to find one of her hairs baked in, since they can fall out of the front of your head just as easily as the back. I host an Airbnb where I bake for guests, and I'm obsessive about tying back my hair and making sure there are no stray strands on my shirt before I get started. Shedding in food is a personal nightmare of mine; finding a hair in my food would be enough to put me off a restaurant forever.

Edited by spaceghostess
typo
  • Love 2

OMG Julia. Paraphrasing: "You're supposed to knead dough when you're angry. But I could never be angry with my dough, because I love it." <leans closer to workbench and whispers, "I love you."> 

That is why I watch this show. 

• Love 21

I really like Liam, and I love how he interacts with Paul & Prue.  He definitely respects them, but doesn't seem overly star struck.  He's very cool about their conversations and critiques, without veering into cocky.  I'd love to see a spin off with him and Paul, sort of a teacher & student type thing. 

I always feel bad for the bakers during bread week - I think they are always fighting the clock with having enough time to proof, second proof and bake.  And I'd rather watch technique than people scurrying about. 

I agree with others - Paul is much more fun this season.  Here's my take - with Mary it was like Paul's mum was in the room.  With Prue, it's more like his crazy aunt, so he can lighten up a bit.  I also like Prue's style - the bold, color block outfits, bright graphic jewelry, bold glasses. 

I'm still not feeling it with Sandi and Noel.  They're ok, but they don't add anything for me. 

• Love 4

Fun fact, this is one of the few shows we watch as a family. Everyone enjoys it. My son (6) was SO excited when Julia made that snail. He obviously didn’t get the phallic reference, he just likes snails and the whole mushroom thing and thought it was very, very cute and was always excited when they would cut back the snail. Then it was time for judging. Then they cut a hunk out of the snail and bit into it and he. Broke. DOWN. He immediately started bawling and we had to stop the show for like 10 minutes while we hugged him and consoled him.
Parenting. You have to do in the strangest places.

• Love 15
On 9/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Love love love this show. I liked Sue and Mel but Noel and Sandi are slightly more to my taste. They are humorous without being overly pesky or meddling. I used to feel that Sue and Mel were a bit much. 

I found Sue and Mel annoying so I was hoping Noel and Sandi would be better...and as far as I am concerned, they are! Also, I was never as enamored of Mary as most people seem to be, so the cast changes haven't bothered me a bit.  I'm just glad Paul is still on the show.  Everything else, which is why I actually like the show, is exactly the same, so I'm happy.  

This is turning out to be a good bunch of contestants.

Edited by ichbin
typing error
  • Love 2

I've just started watching this on Netflix, three years late, to get on board with the new crew. I actually don't hate it. And this episode made me laugh out loud more than I've ever done with this show.

When Julia's made the snail it looked phallic and then the end, especially the camera shot around Paul's waist - I WAS DYING!

Nothing will ever beat Paul's lion IMO, but there were a few that came close here. 

I'm sad to see Flo go, but she's been over her head for a while now, so it was time. 

There aren't any bakers I dislike, but I am having a hard time telling some of them apart (or at least remembering the right names). I want to look them up on Instagram, but I don't want to spoil myself yet!