Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

What is faster than an instaget?  Because FJ was that.

I know!  I tuned it just in time for FJ, and wondered if the whole game had been that easy.  If you know anything about film composers, barring a brain fart, you know it instantly.  If you know a little bit about film, barring a brain fart, you know it instantly.  If you just keep half an ear open to pop culture, you can probably guess it.  You should have picked a harder clue indeed, Alex.

12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am confused by how that was confusing.

So am I.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

barely remember being in kindergarten yet she tells a story about it on national tv.

I am pretty certain the party happened when she was an adult, her friend had a WW themed party cancelled when she was in kindegarten, so Lisa threw her a WW themed party for her birthday as an adult.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fex said:

Turns out I know nothing about Pizarro! I guessed Panama because of the isthmus part of the clue, but otherwise felt like an idiot for that whole category.

Since they stayed in that category for a while, I took a little break, looked at my phone, filed my nails.... Pizarro facts apparently are not included in this brain.

1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

I am pretty certain the party happened when she was an adult, her friend had a WW themed party cancelled when she was in kindegarten, so Lisa threw her a WW themed party for her birthday as an adult.

It was garbled, but that was my take as well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Driad said:

How much time do contestants have to choose their FJ wagers?  Also how: pencil and paper?

Yes, all the time you need within reason. And paper and sharpie, not the best for any detailed math. 

• Love 3

Yay Rebecca!  Bu-bye pouty, hanging on the podium, Lisa, you weirdo. 

THIS. Maybe I didn't notice it yesterday but the faces and movements were downright distracting to me today. Ugh.

I got the NY Post and Ishiguro TS and the Saturn missed DD. FJ was super easy.

Hopefully Rebecca won't be a one-and-done so bringing her back was worth it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

It was garbled, but that was my take as well.

Yeah, it was garbled but because two days in a row Lisa talked about letters she wrote as a child, my money is on this party happening when she was around seven years old. I'm not cutting her any slack on that since she obviously still dwells in her childhood.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

What is faster than an instaget?

A nanoget?  Maybe that's when you know the answer just from the category.  Psycho was a nanoget for me today.

I hated Chris from the moment she told her horrible story.  Who boos live actors from the audience, no matter how bad the play is?  That is such disgusting behavior.  I would give her something of a pass if she was very young when it happened (like under twelve, but I don't think she was).  Regardless, if you did that and you're very well into adulthood now, why on earth would you make that a J! anecdote about your life that you're willing to tell on TV as if it were something cute?  That's one of those stories to be ashamed of and never tell anyone.  My fiercest wish was that there'd be some snot (like me) in the studio audience who'd boo her on every wrong answer, or every time she couldn't get her words out.  That'd bring her to Empathyland pretty fast.  So glad she didn't win.

This hat is starting to pinch.  ;o)

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 17
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, it was garbled but because two days in a row Lisa talked about letters she wrote as a child, my money is on this party happening when she was around seven years old. I'm not cutting her any slack on that since she obviously still dwells in her childhood.

Alex said she threw the party, kindergartners don't throw parties their parents do.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

My fiercest wish was that there'd be some snot (like me) in the studio audience who'd boo her on every wrong answer, or every time she couldn't get her words out. 

This is why I come here.  ?  Here's a new hat.  ?

• Love 7

I was rooting against Chris after her idiotic story of booing during a Broadway show and then getting into a screaming match with the writer. F* you and your complete lack of class. That’s how you want a national audience to see you?

• Love 11

It wasn’t enough that she said she booed during the preview, but then doubled down and said it was a terrible play.  I mean, how crass.

Whether it was a bad play or not, civil people don’t crow about that.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

Sorry, Rebecca, I don't remember you from January, but good on ya for making the most of your second chance!

I wasn't a fan of Lisa's stories, but I try not to judge less-than-exciting stories because I am the most boring person I know and therefore wouldn't have exciting stories, either. That said, I do kind of judge Chris for her story. I said, "Mamas and Papas John Phillips?" and then of course I had to look it up.

Man on the Moon

While I agree with all the comments regarding the booing (and sympathize with the poor cast of the show) I find John Phillips eminently boo-able. So, I'm kind of glad he had a bad day. But again, the cast and everyone else didn't deserve it.

• Love 5

Chris reminded me of Shelly Long (from Modern Family, not Cheers), so I couldn't get that out of my head. But she did seem like a pill. I never noticed Lisa was such a Debby Downer, but last night her selection of clues and answers were all so tentative and timid, she drove me nuts. And not finishing the categories irks me. Yay for Rebecca making the most of her return.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Alex said she threw the party, kindergartners don't throw parties their parents do.

Precocious children (*coughLisacough*) can do whatever they want, and Lisa made clear with her stories that she is/was one and did as she pleased. She didn't say who PAID for the party (cough*parents*cough). Of course, she could have kept her friend's slight alive in her memory bank for 20 years and did the party then. You know, after everyone grew up and moved away from their pre-school location. Neither scenario makes me like her.

Thank the Jeopardy gods that she's gone.

I wish I could HEART your post one thousand times Mondrianyone. You look good in that hat.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I didn't tune in until second half of the first round, so missed the interviews, thank goodness, because my mom raised me with manners. Which means if I didn't like a play, I would either sit there and not clap or, if I could do so unobtrusively, just leave. Booing someone, anyone, especially a performer, is the worst behavior. If I hated Man in the Moon, I would have just let this do my talking for me (from Forumfish's link):

Newsday critic Allan Wallack said "Man on the Moon is the kind of show that ought to be reviewed on the obit page."

That's one big OUCH! of a sentence.

I'm glad the second-chance player got the win.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Yay for Rebecca! I remembered that Jeopardy was going to have a contestant from a few months ago return, but I did not remember her at all. Add me to thyroid brain..lol

I am with those who wouldn't boo a play. Even Lisa would have just written John Phillips a letter. 

TS I got were Glory Days, Italians (Chris' missed DD), Saturn (Lisa's missed DD), Ally McBeal. FJ was an instaget as soon as my brain processed b+w and strings, which was before Alex finished reading the clue.

I got the impression that Lisa threw the make-up party for her friend recently. My daughters had a Willy Wonka themed party at Dylan's Candy Bar for their 5th birthday, and really, all of the parents felt 5 again, so I think it would be a cute idea for a young adult too. But, yeah, said friend had probably moved on decades years before. Although my older brother still (jokingly) gives my sister shit because 40 years ago he missed seeing Darth Vader at the mall due to her emergency appendectomy, so who knows.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I might have to pay to go to LA and be in the studio audience to witness this! LOL

I will join you!

21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So Alex will talk about Willy Wonka with Lisa but won't talk about it with someone who was actually in the movie?  That makes sense, as Alex always does. [/sarcasm]

Yay, Rebecca!  What was up with Lisa leaning all over the place when the FJ category was revealed?  Did she do that for her other games and I just didn't notice?  Not sorry to see her go.

Glory Days was a guess, based on the "they'll pass you by" part of the clue.

I thought about Alex not talking Willy Wonka with Paris too. 

On Tuesday's game, Lisa put her elbows on the podium and put her face in her hands after she won, and an expressionless stare on her face. It wasn't until Alex walked over to shake her hand and smiled that she straightened up and looked happy. It was weird to me. 

I got Glory Days the same way.  

• Love 8

I enjoyed all three contestants today. As a fellow butch woman, I laughed when FJ was about Lesbos and hoped Lynn would get it right. I sure did. 

Natasha's interview about living with 13 birds sounds like a nightmare to me. I precalled Alfred E. Neumann and David E. Kelly. I thought there might be an EE Cummings clue but there wasn't. 

My gets were Lloyd's of London, Lebanon, Lewis, and Texas. 

• Love 17

Congrats to Lynn!  I had a feeling she'd win because they did a little story about her being on Jeopardy! on the local news.  Lafayette is part of the Denver Metro area and they haven't done any stories about any of the other recent contestants from here.  Her biggest fear about being on the show was that she'd embarrass herself.  I can relate.  

I got high C, Van Morrison, Lloyd's of London, Natasha's two missed DD's of pressure and Lebanon, and Meriwether Lewis.

For FJ I guessed Syria.

• Love 10

Lynn made me laugh when she left room for speculation that her mother "was pregnant with Art Fleming."

I thought cedars always = Lebanon, so that was a surprising miss.  My grouchy comment for the day is noting that I always snarl at contestants to stop giggling and concentrate on the game.  The gigglers never seem to do well, and I feel personally embarrassed by them as a WOG (Woman of Grouch).

• Love 10

I ran the board game category, correctly guessed FJ, and like teebax, precalled Alfred E. Neuman.  One of the many things my father was proud of in his life was having had a letter he'd written to Mad Magazine published.  Needless to say, I grew up reading Mad.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the board game category, correctly guessed FJ, and like teebax, precalled Alfred E. Neuman.  One of the many things my father was proud of in his life was having had a letter he'd written to Mad Magazine published.  Needless to say, I grew up reading Mad.

"Having had a letter he'd written to Mad Magazine"

Please, don't give former champ Lisa any additional letter ideas! 

• Love 11

Bravo Lynne, for perfect FJ betting strategy! I'm kind of glad to see Rebecca go. She seemed kind of snotty. I can't even with giggles in the middle, blowing both DDs.

I only got 2 TS -- high C and Bernadette -- and blew FJ because I knew it wasn't Italy but couldn't think of anything else.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was surprised only one of them got FJ, given how much the island of Lesbos has been in the news lately as it relates to refugees coming from Syria via Turkey.

That and the fact Turkey is a large country across the Aegean from Greece, so even if you don't specifically know where those islands are located, it's a pretty good country to guess.

• Love 6

How do y’all explain how the boyfriend from Italy had to tell me I was wrong when I said Turkey because he was positive it something off of the North African coast? WTF? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I was angry but did have the correct answer.
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That and the fact Turkey is a large country across the Aegean from Greece, so even if you don't specifically know where those islands are located, it's a pretty good country to guess.

I wasn't certain, but I know Greeks and Turks have been at each other for hundreds of years, so I assumed it would be a thing that a Greek island would be close to Turkey.

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

How do y’all explain how the boyfriend from Italy had to tell me I was wrong when I said Italy, because he was positive it something off of the North African coast? WTF? 

Isn't he the guy you were telling us was a bit of an ass?  That would explain it...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was surprised only one of them got FJ, given how much the island of Lesbos has been in the news lately as it relates to refugees coming from Syria via Turkey.

That's how I knew the answer:  I remembered the stories about all the immigrants landing on the island of Lesbos and how well the residents had treated them. 

• Love 2

I got Turkey because as a military brat, I lived there, and we drove through Greece to get to our post. So I'm familiar with the layout. I'm only decent at geography if I have experienced the area - otherwise I have general ideas, but specifics only sporadically.

I got cedars in Lebanon solely because of a song lyric going through my head.

Ran the board games - but paused the DVR to discuss how the Game of Life was boring propaganda, fitting all those pegs into those traditional spots.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, clubsauce said:

My brain insisted that Lynn was male. I thought, “Oh, like Lynn Swann.” I think it’s because she looks a lot like my college boyfriend. 

Not to mention, after the DJ round and before the break, Trebek presented the category for FJ by addressing the contestants as "Ladies,...."

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Turkey because as a military brat, I lived there, and we drove through Greece to get to our post. So I'm familiar with the layout. I'm only decent at geography if I have experienced the area - otherwise I have general ideas, but specifics only sporadically.

I got cedars in Lebanon solely because of a song lyric going through my head.

Ran the board games - but paused the DVR to discuss how the Game of Life was boring propaganda, fitting all those pegs into those traditional spots.

I was wondering if you just said "Life" if that would be accepted.  It is officially The Game of Life but most just know it as Life.  Its interesting that the game as well is actually much older than I thought, goes back to the 19th century and has evolved quite a bit over the years.  Obviously the current version did not apply to life in the 19th century. 

The board game category I thought was pretty easy. 

• Love 10

I like Lynn and I'm glad she won. And yes, I confess I also snickered when the FJ clue was about Lesbos. And then felt guilty for stereotyping. Rocking a butch look doesn't necessarily mean anything about a person's sexuality. I did guess Turkey, then thought maybe it couldn't be that easy, but couldn't think of anything else. Also got cedars of Lebanon. I was surprised when they allowed "Shawshank" as correct rather then insisting on "The Shawshank Redemption" as the full title, but I guess there aren't any other movies with the word "Shawshank" in the title. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I like Lynn and I'm glad she won. And yes, I confess I also snickered when the FJ clue was about Lesbos. And then felt guilty for stereotyping. Rocking a butch look doesn't necessarily mean anything about a person's sexuality. I did guess Turkey, then thought maybe it couldn't be that easy, but couldn't think of anything else. Also got cedars of Lebanon. I was surprised when they allowed "Shawshank" as correct rather then insisting on "The Shawshank Redemption" as the full title, but I guess there aren't any other movies with the word "Shawshank" in the title. 

I thought the clue was asking the name of the prison in the movie, rather than the movie title. But I didn't pay close attention.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought the clue was asking the name of the prison in the movie, rather than the movie title. But I didn't pay close attention.

It was. It said "this film prison" not "this film's prison."

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Browncoat said:

Another game where I really couldn't root for any of them, but John was the least objectionable.  He was a bit slow to start.  Second choice was Lisa -- AJ offended me by wearing that jacket (first impressions count!), then by behaving like he needed to KILL that buzzer.  Ugh. 

I only got Star Trek and Elgar, and had absolutely no clue for FJ.  I probably couldn't have even come up with something inane like the Battle of Rome.

I was surprised to get FJ.  Not sure exactly where in my brain I was storing the Battle of Actium, but there it was.

God, I hate the new champ, for reasons which I will not elaborate here.  Obviously since I was "anyone but her", she was fated to win.  Hopefully she's a one-and-done.

• Love 1