Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I gave up when FJ category was Opera. Trebek screwed that for me by not singing the La Las or using some accent to give it away, so I had no answer and never would have an answer. I wonder if TPTB told him to knock if off with his accents for FJ. I got vegan easily. I don't remember anything else. I didn't see Saralee the day before (no power to my house in -25 temp!) so paid attention this episode but did not notice her being slow. I like the new champ. Which means One And Done, that's Murphy's Law of Jeopardy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

so paid attention this episode but did not notice her being slow.

Probably because she didn't ring in much, and didn't have too many chances to be slow in picking the next clue.

• Love 7

Because I am shallow, I was rooting for handsome Michael, but at least Steph is efficient and knowledgable. Her voice annoys me, which means she will stick around.

TS I got were Libya, vegan, saltpeter, 27, 15. FJ was an instaget. 

18 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Isn't Figaro the Barber of Seville?

At least she got Figaro. What opera was Gepetto in or did he just guess a random Italian name? I thought he was Pinocchio's creator/father.

Yes, Figaro is the Barber of Seville. The only Figaro/Geppetto connection I can think of is that the cat in Pinocchio is named Figaro. Other than that, I've got nothin'. 

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hooray, no more Ms. Poundcake!  So (heh), did her parents elope because her mom was pregnant with her and they named her after their parents to smooth over the whole premarital sex thing?  That's kind of what her story sounded like to me.

Sounded like that to me too.

17 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I despise all of the clues that Alex doesn't read, as they are invariably endless monologues and lead to clues left on the board.

Me too. If I were a contestant I would steer clear of those categories until the rest of the board had been cleared. 

• Love 5

Oh man, why couldn't that have been my FJ?  Of course, had I been the girl in the middle last night, y'all would be saying my betting strategy was crazy 'cause I would've bet huge on opera, and you would've known that I'd done it the minute the clue was revealed.  Yeah, there was a small chance that the clue'd be about some obscure opera I've never heard of, but it was highly unlikely.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

My knowledge of opera could fit on the head of a pin so I had another extremely goofy guess of The Barber of Seville.

And your goofy guess would be correct.  Figaro was the Barber of Seville.  Obviously they were looking for the character's specific name, but I'd have argued that you were right.

19 hours ago, DrScottie said:

At least she got Figaro. What opera was Gepetto in or did he just guess a random Italian name? I thought he was Pinocchio's creator/father.

He is Pinocchio's creator.  Weird coincidence - in the Disney movie, Gepetto's cat is named Figaro.

19 hours ago, Fex said:

Doesn't everybody know rock stars tend to die at age 27?

Surprising TS.

I didn't.

• Love 1

About those endless clues that some guest reads as an endless monologue: I've heard past contestants say they dislike them too, since players can't buzz in until the person stops talking. That's when it pays to be Watson I guess, he could auto-buzz before any humans.

• Love 4

Here's a link to a list of those musicians who died at 27:

Members of the 27 Club

I am another one who doesn't know much about opera but got last night's FJ correct.  I even sang the same little bit that Alex did. I don't know how I knew it but some of you have said you learned it from a Bugs Bunny cartoon and that is most likely where I learned it too.

As far as I can remember, 27 was my only ts.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

That was my guess too.  I didn't even know Virginia Woolf was British.  I've never read her so wouldn't have guessed anyway.  I get her mixed up with Sylvia Plath, for some reason.

Both died by suicide.  

• Love 3

No idea what the new champ said. I'm not crazy about Sean; something about him seems a little shifty to me.

I knew Flora, the Great Santini, eel, talisman, and the 1900's. I thought Meagan the World War I buff would have known the latter, since it's generally agreed that the war brought about major cultural changes.

Why was the date of FJ so important? I guessed the Pontiac Grand Prix, but a quick look at Wikipedia shows I was off by about a decade.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 4

I'm not crazy about Sean, either.  Part of it was the pointing at the beginning when he was answering clues, but a larger part is how SLOW he is to pick clues.  Step it up, Sean, and maybe, just maybe we'll get to finish a whole board this week!

I only knew the Great Santini, eels, and 1900s, and while I could picture the car emblem in my head, I could not for the life of me pull Corvette out of my brain.

• Love 6

Corvette was an instaget although I can't figure out the fleur de lis connection.  Let me know when Sean is off the game.  I couldn't stand him.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, opus said:

At the end today, when the new champ pointed at the old champ and said something, did anyone catch what it was?

I think he said "You were closer." She had some fun with her (wrong) answer & he didn't know it at all.

• Love 3

Why do people I don't like keep winning?  [/annoyed]

I got eels thanks to one of the funniest Frasier episodes where he and Niles tried to open a restaurant.  Also, The Great Santini.

Correctly guessed Corvette for FJ.

• Love 7

So Swayin’ Shifty Sean was the winner. Not a fan, hope he’s a one and done. 

I got a tower of strength, The Great Santini and Bundestag. FJ was the instaget of instagets for me, having owned several Corvettes in my lifetime. My favorite car ever!

• Love 7

I was impressed that Sean knew "Mjolnir" -- and apparently knew how to pronounce it. 

I knew 1900's too, but wasn't sure how to answer -- would there be a specific term for the first decade of a century? -- 1900's can encompass the entire century.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

I knew 1900's too, but wasn't sure how to answer -- would there be a specific term for the first decade of a century? -- 1900's can encompass the entire century.

Since the category was about decades, I think it's clear here, but some use aughts or noughts. I think most people try to avoid it!

• Love 4
On 1/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, 17wheatthins said:

The Onion has had many satirical headlines like: "Area Man Nervously Asks Girlfriend If She'll Settle"

But that clue was not worded so great.  

Yep, I recognize the trope, similar to "Florida Man" (which became a Twitter account as well). I think it would have been clear if they had only put the word "local" in quotes.

Sean's pointing and sway and slow picking bugged, but Alex bugged me more with his fawning over Steph. Every so often he falls for a particular "young lady" and gets goofy. It was interesting how he didn’t call this game out as a runaway like he typically does. He probably would have if it were Steph rather than Sean.

For FJ I guessed Renault. If I thought harder, I might have pictured the flag logo of Corvette.

Renault was my first guess as well, then I went with Peugeot.

ETA: and now that I hear he's had an accident, I feel badly about dragging Alex. Well, only a little bad. I do hope he gets better soon!

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4

TS I got were tut & Chagall (Steph's missed DD). I said Renault for FJ but it was an instaget for car freak Dr. Toothbrush

So glad Alex is ok. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sean's a new category of champ - bland, yet annoying as hell.  I hope he's a one and done.

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

The new champ strikes me as someone who thinks he's too cool for the room.

Perfect descriptions! 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I hear Letterman saying "Bobby FLLAAAAAYYY" that way.  Can't see or hear "Bobby Flay" without the Letterman/Lewis inflection in my mind's ear.

I hear the Chairman on the original Iron Chef (when they went to NYC for a special) introducing him as, "Booby Fraaaay!" (Not making fun of his accent, that's how he said it and it made me laugh!)

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Interesting that the news just broke now given it happened in December. Must be a hassle to rearrange the filming of the College tournament.

It'll be easier to skip the college tournament if it's not aired until June or July.

Get well soon, Alex. I had not heard a thing about his fall. Not good.

• Love 2

For some reason, my local channel thought that people would be more interested a special on Buffalo being in the playoffs than watching Jeopardy. Ugh. I get that people are excited because the Bills have sucked so hard for so long, but stay away from my show. You kids, get off my lawn! Fortunately my DVR caught the overnight showing.

Anyway, I totally missed the FJ. Mustang was the only car I could think of, which was obviously wrong. I'm sorry to see Steph go. She was cute and her hair was gorgeous. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5

I'm not sure how I so confidently knew Corvette. My brother had one, but he was married and, of course, no longer living at home, so that really wasn't a help. I've been to the museum in Kentucky (right before the sinkhole destroyed it) but it was too early - it wasn't open yet, so I just looked around the outside. They have the premium parking spaces set aside for Corvettes.

Completely gobsmacked that I got Chagall.

I didn't mind Sean. That Mjolnir response was impressive.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I got a tower of strength, The Great Santini and Bundestag. FJ was the instaget of instagets for me, having owned several Corvettes in my lifetime. My favorite car ever!

I said Bundestag - but I thought Alex gave a different answer and I thought I was wrong. But I just looked up and if Bundesrat was in the clue (which I believe it was), then Bundestag was definitely the answer. I looked at J! Archive, but yesterday's game wasn't up yet.

• Love 2

I liked Steph, I was hoping she would be on longer. 

I did get FJ, I the checkered flag gave it away for me.  I am not sure why the year would be such a clue, unless you know that is when the corvette was first made.  I didn't know that. 

Glad Alex is OK.  I wonder how long it took them to find his Subdural hematoma and what his symptoms were.  Should be a full recovery though. 

• Love 4

@Kathira, surely you know even the most trivial incident involving the Bills is much more important than anything else in the history of history! That is one thing I don't miss. My local affiliate spent the entire day on snow coverage--because it snowed. In New England. In January--and I was afraid they'd bump Jeopardy for more riveting footage of a weather guy driving around in a van, but the show ran.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it cruel to hope that a lingering side effect would be a complete lack of desire to "do" accents?

There actually is a rare neurologic disorder called foreign accent syndrome, where you GAIN a foreign accent after a brain injury

But I don't think what you speak off has been documented

• Love 7

Just wondering -- if someone knew an answer like Mjolnir, but couldn't pronounce it. so they said quickly after buzzing in (and within the allotted time), "Ugh...I don't think I can pronounce it, but M-J-O-L-N-I-R" and then also threw out their best attempt at a pronunciation, would the judges allow it?  They don't have to pronounce their FJ answers.  So, it seems at least being able to spell it proves knowledge of the answer?

I'm impressed by Alex's pronunciations on so many questions.  I'd have a hard time unless I really rehearsed before the show.  I'm sure he does.

A real doozy would be the Icelandic volcano, Eyjafjallajokull. 

I'm lucky I can pronounce Hellevoetsluis, where a good friend of mine was born in the Netherlands.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Just wondering -- if someone knew an answer like Mjolnir, but couldn't pronounce it. so they said quickly after buzzing in (and within the allotted time), "Ugh...I don't think I can pronounce it, but M-J-O-L-N-I-R" and then also threw out their best attempt at a pronunciation, would the judges allow it?  They don't have to pronounce their FJ answers.  So, it seems at least being able to spell it proves knowledge of the answer?

I'm not sure I could have pronounced it - I knew the answer (more or less) but couldn't get it off of my tongue. And since I know it from watching The Almighty Johnsons and the movies, I wouldn't know how to spell it.

• Love 2

I feel terrible raking on Trebek constantly, then finding out he had brain surgery. Just because he's a constant irritation doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to him. I want him to fully recover and come back to the show. Half the fun of posting here is making jokes about Alex. So, Get Well Soon, Trebek. I miss you. Meanwhile, I said Peugeot for FJ because that French flower threw me off the path. That and I always say Peugeot to car questions. When I'm not answering GREMLIN. Ha ha! In all my years of watching, I've never seen Peugeot be an answer to any clue, but I'm a gonna keep trying.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I feel terrible raking on Trebek constantly, then finding out he had brain surgery. Just because he's a constant irritation doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to him. I want him to fully recover and come back to the show. Half the fun of posting here is making jokes about Alex. So, Get Well Soon, Trebek. I miss you. Meanwhile, I said Peugeot for FJ because that French flower threw me off the path. That and I always say Peugeot to car questions. When I'm not answering GREMLIN. Ha ha! In all my years of watching, I've never seen Peugeot be an answer to any clue, but I'm a gonna keep trying.

I said Peugeot too, because of the Fluer de Lis (?). Never would have guess it was an American car (I'm not into cars, as you can tell).

The article I read about Trebek said he injured himself initially in October - so I guess those clots were developing for months. The article also said the show wouldn't be interrupted, except for a few "features" - whatever that means.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They have the premium parking spaces set aside for Corvettes.

And if I went to the museum, I'd probably park in one of those spots even though I don't have a Corvette - because I'm from New York, and will park wherever I damn well please. ;-)

• Love 8

NYC also had all day snow coverage yesterday, as is usual with a storm, but by 7pm they usually finally get bored with it and let us move on to other things.

Edited by opus
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ABay said:

@Kathira, surely you know even the most trivial incident involving the Bills is much more important than anything else in the history of history! That is one thing I don't miss. My local affiliate spent the entire day on snow coverage--because it snowed. In New England. In January--and I was afraid they'd bump Jeopardy for more riveting footage of a weather guy driving around in a van, but the show ran.

I live in Tucson. During monsoon season, we sometimes miss Jeopardy due to rain. Yes, it's that noteworthy when it rains. 

I'm glad Claudia didn't win. I disliked her right out of the gate with her first response when she felt the need to tell us she was from Minnesota, which we'd just heard in the intro.

Brandon reminds me of Michael Wilbon from Pardon the Interruption. He's lucky he won with that ill-advised wager. 

I got Guardians of the Galaxy, minimalism, Flaubert, and FJ as an instaget. 

• Love 6

I’m at the halfway point and if Brandon does not win I will throw my TV in a snow bank.

I really want to tie Claudia’s arm down.

I missed most of the NHL category but heard Alex say “fly” and got the TS of Red Wings without hearing the rest of the clue.

• Love 6

I'm glad Brandon won - I like him. But boy was he lucky with that lousy wager. I missed FJ with Marvel. I knew it wasn't DC, which is Detective Comics, but nothing else came to mind. I got Guardians of the Galaxy, Watchmen, Flaubert and Brandon's missed DJ of the Marquis de Sade.

• Love 4

Good grief, Claudia was annoying!  And Sean pissed me off during the introductions with that inane wave.  Brandon was the least offensive, but he really needs to enunciate the question part of his questions.  About 80% of the time, I didn't hear him say the "What is" part.  And he needs to learn how to wager.  No idea what he was thinking with that FJ wager.  He got lucky.

FJ was an instaget for me, though I'm not sure why.  I did read Archie comics back in the day, so maybe that contributed.

Still mad that they aren't clearing the boards!  I was completely clueless for the entire hockey category.  And I only managed three TS -- Temple Square, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Marquis de Sade.

• Love 7

I like the new champ, Brandon. I also liked Sean. I'll be doing his opening wave all year. I loved it.

I take issue with Alex's statement that "we can't afford to maintain our national parks" or whatever the exact words were. The current political climate obviously puts very little priority on maintenance and upkeep of our natural resources, but it's simply not true that we "can't afford it". It's just not a high priority in Washington DC lately. The huge budget cuts for 2018 for the National Park Service, for instance (because I don't think the Appalachian Trail is funded by them), is solely the result of lobbying by the oil and gas industry in this country. I don't want to go all political about it, but not being able to "afford it" is an absurd claim.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 24

I ran the NHL category but sooooo disappointed not to hear Alex pronounce club de hockey canadian, habitants, or nordiques.

Spell check doesn't like any of those. Probably a Leafs fan.

• Love 9