Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Thank you, Jeopardy gods!

Tonight I got quilting and FJ.

Almost the same here. I did get bread and butter pickles as well. When the second half of the first round came on after the commercial break I was annoyed to hear Alex say “ Amy now knows to guard against ringing in too early.”  I took that to mean that she had some kind of personal coaching during the break. Is that fair? 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Almost the same here. I did get bread and butter pickles as well. When the second half of the first round came on after the commercial break I was annoyed to hear Alex say “ Amy now knows to guard against ringing in too early.”  I took that to mean that she had some kind of personal coaching during the break. Is that fair? 

Yes, the same thing happened to me. One of the contestant coordinators came over to my podium during the first commercial and tried to help. I think it's fair as long as everyone who needs it gets it.

Of the TS's, I only got bread and butter. I was surprised to come up with the correct FJ, also.

Good job for Scott, though I would have been OK with any one of the three winning. Andrew's pageant story was cute, and he was a good sport about Alex's mentioning his small win twice.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, dcalley said:

The company's name is PricewaterhouseCoopers, but whatever.

I said Price Waterhouse, I wasn't sure of the exact name - I knew Cooper (I would have not included the "s") was in there, but I wasn't sure what their legal name was, and hoped PW was enough.

I said The Masters for FJ, but it was mostly a guess - I thought 1934 might be too late for its first year.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Athena said:

Quick reminder that any future episode information or episode info before 7PM of that day is considered spoilers. Please use spoiler tags. Thank you!

OK, sorry 'bout that!  I don't have any idea of the outcome of the game, just that it's his air date.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I think the name came from a merge between Price Waterhouse and Coopers Lybrand. Another accounting firm. 

• Love 3

Yay!  Scott is my hero!  Obviously a cool old dude, too, knowing The Cure and Motorhead.

Like most of you, I got quilting and bread and butter pickles.

I was clueless for FJ.  Those names sounded like something from a croquet match and I was sure there wasn't an annual tournament for that lofty sport.  Or maybe there is...

• Love 10

Yay Scott! Much better betting for FJ this time. Although no amount of good wagering strategy would have helped me with that FJ. It was definitely a classic "easy if you know it" answer. I did get quilting and Radiohead, though. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay!  Scott is my hero!  Obviously a cool old dude, too, knowing The Cure and Motorhead.

Thanks? I mean, Scott is probably younger than I am and I ran that music category.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, now I'm ready with the name of the Illinois state song if it ever appears as a clue. It's ... wait for it ... Illinois.

I just looked it up.  Ours is "Pennsylvania."  I was so hoping it would be The Pennsylvania Polka!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I think the answer "Vacation" should've been a BMS, not a "Yes, National Lampoon's Vacation."

OMG yes!  That's one of the worst ones yet!!  Its even a specific name of a movie and they take just "'vacation". 

Why is Whitney Houston not in the Rock Hall of Fame?  I think it was here before that the same topic came up about the Rock Hall when Peter Frampton was noted as well not to be in it?  I am not music expert by any means, but they make some strange choices.

At least she is already dead though she does not have to worry about the Jeopardy curse. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I felt kind of bad for Amy with her buzzer difficulties, but at the same time, her vocal fry habit was a bit annoying.

I didn't feel bad for her at all.  She was coached on the buzzer and still couldn't get it, and her voice made my ears bleed.  I thought contestants went through practice rounds to help iron out kinks?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Like most of you, I got quilting and bread and butter pickles.

Same here. I also got FJ. The azaleas in the clue gave it away for me.

10 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Why is Whitney Houston not in the Rock Hall of Fame? 

Yes, that's a shocker. I don't really pay too much attention to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but in the past I seem to remember some inexcusable omissions.

I had to google Joyce Kilmer to find out how he could write about WWI and yet not survive it. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I had to google Joyce Kilmer to find out how he could write about WWI and yet not survive it. 

Check out Wilfred Owen, brilliant World War I poet who died a week before the Armistice. 

• Love 2

I liked Andrew much better today, and his story was funny. His resemblance to Dr. Toothbrush is pretty uncanny. Glad Scott won, but I think Samuel Taylor Coleridge was English. 

TS I got were Radiohead and bread & butter pickles. FJ was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush, but even after I expanded a sporting event held in Atlanta (because of the dogwood in the clue) to all of GA, I still didn't get it. But did a Homer Simpson d'oh when revealed. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was clueless for FJ.  Those names sounded like something from a croquet match and I was sure there wasn't an annual tournament for that lofty sport.  Or maybe there is...

Croquet was my guess too, but then figured if there were an annual tournament it most likely would have started prior to 1934. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

At least she is already dead though she does not have to worry about the Jeopardy curse. 

I'm probably going to hell for how hard I laughed at this. 

• Love 4

Zoey1996 - thank you for posting about Sweet Virginia Breeze.  You made me smile way up here in Michigan.

All the lyrics popped into my head and took me back to long ago W&M days when Robbin Thompson and his band played campus and town events.  I may even have an old vinyl album with the song on it.  

Once again, Jeopardy and this board have made my life a little brighter.

• Love 4

It's good for me to watch someone else with the same name to do well. 

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Why is Whitney Houston not in the Rock Hall of Fame?  I think it was here before that the same topic came up about the Rock Hall when Peter Frampton was noted as well not to be in it?  I am not music expert by any means, but they make some strange choices.

No kidding. While you could make a case that Whitney wasn't really rock, Frampton Comes Alive is one of the best selling live rock albums of all time. Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, and The Moody Blues just got in this year and those are all very accomplished bands.  That's crazy.  I yelled RadioHead for the "Kid A" clue. 

I normally don't call out vocal fry unless it's particularly distracting as it was in Amy's case. 

2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Sabot is not "the" French word for shoe, it is "a" French word for shoe.

The sabotage reference reminds me of this scene from Star Trek VI

FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 4

According to Wikipedia, “National Lampoon’s Vacation” is also known as simply “Vacation.”

Very glad Scott won! I disliked Andrew immediately and his terrible Broadway guesses yesterday made me root against him.

• Love 7

if it ever appears as a clue. It's ... wait for it ... Illinois.

LOL.

I graduated from the U of Wisconsin (On Wisconsin, on Wisconsin...) but briefly attended Queens College, where the school song is … waiting for it... Q is for the Q that's in Queens College, U is for the U that's in Queens College, E is for the E that's in Queens College, E is for the other E in Queens College…

QUILTING, I yelled, scaring my chocolate Lab, Magic.

At first I thought FJ was a horse race, because of the, you know, flowers.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

According to Wikipedia, “National Lampoon’s Vacation” is also known as simply “Vacation.”

Very glad Scott won! I disliked Andrew immediately and his terrible Broadway guesses yesterday made me root against him.

According to IMDB there are at least 4 other movies or mini-series specifically called just Vacation, including one in the same National Lampoons series from 2015 that is a sort of sequel to the original National Lampoons Vacation

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=vacation&s=tt&ref_=fn_al_tt_mr

• Love 3

I don't really pay too much attention to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but in the past I seem to remember some inexcusable omissions.

Warren Zevon gets NO respect. Not only is he NOT in the RnRHoF, he can't even get into a category about musicians who aren't in the RnRHoF.

Georgia's legislature voted on "Georgia On My Mind" as our state song before checking out permission - turns out, we now have to pay royalties every time the song's performed as our state song. Our tax dollars at work! Asshats.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Why was Enid, OK not a clue in the 4 letter city names???  I pre-called it when the category was revealed.  Glad that Scott won.

Or Reno -- aka The Biggest Little City in the West. 

I also yelled "quilting", then asked my husband if he knew the answer.  He didn't.. I've probably made a hundred quilts, finishing most of them on the dining room table,  No? 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Glad Scott won, but I think Samuel Taylor Coleridge was English. 

Yeah. At least my guess was American -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. His name always makes me think of "You're a poet and don't know it, but your feet show it. They're long fellows!"

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

At first I thought FJ was a horse race, because of the, you know, flowers.

I thought of horse racing first, too, but "play" in the clue helped lead me away from that -- to tennis.  Yeah, I don't know.  I think it was azalea that finally got me to the Masters.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dcalley said:

I'd forgotten. The one time I worked with their consultants, they were just Price Waterhouse.

7 hours ago, DrScottie said:

No kidding. While you could make a case that Whitney wasn't really rock, Frampton Comes Alive is one of the best selling live rock albums of all time. Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, and The Moody Blues just got in this year and those are all very accomplished bands.  That's crazy.  I yelled RadioHead for the "Kid A" clue.

I know, right? And yet they'll induct people whose relationship to Rock and Roll is minimal at best - or who were pretty terrible bands (imo).

7 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Reno and Bend (Oregon) were the two I shouted out before the clues were revealed.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought of horse racing first, too, but "play" in the clue helped lead me away from that -- to tennis.  Yeah, I don't know.  I think it was azalea that finally got me to the Masters.

It was the “peach” part of the clue that gave it to me...I thought Georgia....and that led me to the Masters. 

• Love 2

About half the inductees to the R&RHoF have nothing to do with rock music, IMO. 

New Jersey has no state song. I didn't know that. I do know that back in the early 80s, there was talk of making Springsteen's "Born to Run" the state song, but nothing ever came of it. It's better than having no song. 

Amy's vocal fry was rather pronounced. Which leads to the question, what's more annoying, saying "hundrit" or "hundreeeed"? 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Driad said:

Welcome!  Hoping you do well.  Star Trek TOS reference?

Yup.  Star Trek and library reference all in one!  It seemed like a good name for me.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to drop in here.  I'm Scott from last night's game.  I've actually lurked here for quite awhile, long before I was ever scheduled to actually be on the show, but I've never commented before.  Thanks for all the kind words, and for not being too harsh on any annoying quirks I might have had. :-)

Yeah, Coleridge was English.  That was one of my more embarrassing moments!

You're a brave soul. Being on Jeopardy is easy. Looking in here the night after you've been on Jeopardy is mighty risky :)

• Love 20

Welcome, @MrAtoz!  And congratulations!  You'll have to tell us all about your experience sometime.

3 minutes ago, opus said:

You're a brave soul. Being on Jeopardy is easy. Looking in here the night after you've been on Jeopardy is mighty risky :)

Seconded.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to drop in here.  I'm Scott from last night's game.  I've actually lurked here for quite awhile, long before I was ever scheduled to actually be on the show, but I've never commented before.  Thanks for all the kind words, and for not being too harsh on any annoying quirks I might have had. :-)

Yeah, Coleridge was English.  That was one of my more embarrassing moments!

Welcome, @MrAtoz, and I hope you have/had a long run. I really enjoyed last night's game. I didn't catch the previous night's game, and saw some grumbling on here about Andrew, but I liked him yesterday and thought it was cool that he headed over and shook your hand right after your win. Very sporting.

Whitney Houston is not rock. Now, if somebody wants to start up a Vocalists Hall of Fame, by all means, she may enter that one. Just my two cents on that matter.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

$26000 total for a game and you come in second, win $2000

$1198 total for a game and you win.  But win less than what you get for second place.

But you're basically guaranteed to have Alex point out your low score on the next show, and that's priceless (ha!).

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, AuntiePam said:
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Why was Enid, OK not a clue in the 4 letter city names???  I pre-called it when the category was revealed.  Glad that Scott won.

Because Reno was that category's answer in yesterday's J6. Alas, Enid was not acknowledged.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to drop in here.  I'm Scott from last night's game. 

Hokey Smokes! Hi! I missed yesterday's game and now will have to look it up to watch now that we have a celebrity in our group!

2 hours ago, opus said:

And a big AMEN to that!

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

But you're basically guaranteed to have Alex point out your low score on the next show, and that's priceless (ha!).

Yes, you have to grab your 15 minutes any way you can.

Having not seen yesterday's show, all I can add is that I love bread and butter pickles. My favorite. Yum.

WildSow, Jim and Tom look like twins! Will be rooting for him and his CM bowtie come next week.

ETA: Heads up everyone! A player from the amazing land of CANADA! is on today's show. Taking bets now on how Trebek will introduce him.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Yup.  Star Trek and library reference all in one!  It seemed like a good name for me.

Welcome, MrAtoz! I've seen all of Star Trek -- when it originally aired, 'cause I'm that old -- but I didn't remember the name. I thought your name just referenced your broad knowledge. 

I'm glad we all bit our tongues about your annoying quirks. :D

• Love 8
2 hours ago, opus said:

Oh, I know! :-)  As I said, I've been reading this forum for a long time!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Welcome, @MrAtoz, and I hope you have/had a long run. I really enjoyed last night's game. I didn't catch the previous night's game, and saw some grumbling on here about Andrew, but I liked him yesterday and thought it was cool that he headed over and shook your hand right after your win. Very sporting.

Whitney Houston is not rock. Now, if somebody wants to start up a Vocalists Hall of Fame, by all means, she may enter that one. Just my two cents on that matter.

Aretha Franklin is in the Rock Hall.  Has been since 1987. 

Are she and Whitney Houston's genre's that different? 

Her debut album is on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's definitive 200 list. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

According to IMDB there are at least 4 other movies or mini-series specifically called just Vacation, including one in the same National Lampoons series from 2015 that is a sort of sequel to the original National Lampoons Vacation

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=vacation&s=tt&ref_=fn_al_tt_mr

15 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

"Animal House" is also officially "National Lampoon's Animal House" -- but I don't think anyone would be a stickler for that.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

"Animal House" is also officially "National Lampoon's Animal House" -- but I don't think anyone would be a stickler for that.

Well sure but there is no other movie with a name close to Animal House. 

There are just multiple other movies that can be easily confused with "vacation".  Even just in the national Lampoon series itself, there is European vacation, Christmas vacation, the original vacation, the sequel remake named Vacation from 2015, not to mention every other movie named vacation no in that series. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Best wishes from someone else named Scott. :) 

Now, I'm going to re-watch "All Our Yesterdays" in your honor. I have the Star Trek: TOS Blu-ray. 

• Love 4

Wow, MrAtoz, you are Mr. Popularity in this thread. Your post above currently has 26 likes -- if you get 20, your post gets a pink background. You are solidly pink, my friend! That's a first for this bunch of critics. High praise indeed. Congrats.

• Love 7

That was a good game today, at least for me playing along at home. Welcome and congrats, Scott! I went back to make sure I hadn't posted anything negative about you. Ha! 

In my experience, this board is kind when we know the contestants who are going to be on or that they're related to one of us. If I ever make the show I'll give plenty of notice because I know some of y'all will hate me. Guaranteed.

My gets tonight were chili, Ghostbusters, Siberia, and final in an instaget. Also, a picture of Elivs??? C'mon Jeopardy; you're better than that!

• Love 14