Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Oh my god those people tonight sucked on TV and pop culture.  Drew Carey instead of Seinfeld?  All those clues were so easy.  And the Prince category they pretty much sucked at as well

But on the Price answer When Doves Cry, it reminded me of my ex from college who thought the song was titled When Doves Fly

The Drew Carey guess made me laugh. No disrespect to him - I watched his show all the time - but there were so many embedded hints in the clue to tip off that it was Seinfeld. But I guess only if you've watched it, which she clearly had not.

"This is what it sounds like/When doves fly/Flap flap flap flap..."

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

The answer "Party like it's 1999" is incorrect. The song is "1999."

That bugged me so much that they let that slide. It's only one of his most well known songs...

But on the Price answer When Doves Cry, it reminded me of my ex from college who thought the song was titled When Doves Fly

That cracked me up!

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Trebek said they asked for the METAL and silver nitrate is not a metal. He neglected to give the answer, which is simply silver.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I was like, wait, did I miss the correct answer? Shut up, Alex. 

For TS I got William, Al Michaels, The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O’Connor, Lake Ponchartrain, and Little Red Corvette. I guessed phrenology for FJ because my brain forgot I once studied Latin. Oy. I don't think the new champ should get too comfortable; he played well but he also didn't have much competition. Andy was kind of ridiculous. "Purple"?? Say whut?

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, YoureSoUrban said:

That bugged me so much that they let that slide. It's only one of his most well known songs...

I'm glad you mentioned that because I was like, wait, did I miss the correct answer? Shut up, Alex. 

For TS I got William, Al Michaels, The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O’Connor, Lake Ponchartrain, and Little Red Corvette. I guessed phrenology for FJ because my brain forgot I once studied Latin. Oy. I don't think the new champ should get too comfortable; he played well but he also didn't have much competition. Andy was kind of ridiculous. "Purple"?? Say whut?

I didn't know FJ, but it was too early for phrenology.  That was primarily a 19th century idea and theory. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Bobby pins are kirby grips or hair grips in the UK. In the U.S. they are bobby pins. So we're good calling them that!

Did I misunderstand the clue? I thought it said that bobby pins was what they're called in the UK.

2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

The answer "Party like it's 1999" is incorrect. The song is "1999."

That bugged me, too. I think Alex hesitated just a bit, but I guess they allow titles to be accepted even if more words are included.

I'm surprised no one said "Raspberry Beret" or "Let's Go Crazy." 

I said Raspberry Beret at first then quickly came to Little Red Corvette.

18 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Seriously, why doesn't he say that about the history categories? When they got William II wrong, I wish they would've said, "Sorry Alex, that was before my time."

OK, let's agree that if anyone here is on Jeopardy and then gets a history answer incorrect, the person is to say, "That was before my time, Alex."

My TSs were William, spaniel, The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O'Connor, Pontchartrain, Little Red Corvette, Del Monte, and the DD of Banana Republic. I "knew" the missed Dickens answers, but I just couldn't bring them to mind. 

Before the FJ clue was revealed, I was thinking it would have to do with medicine, so I kept trying to come up with something to do with the body from the Latin words. My guess was physiology.

BTW, I'm always surprised when Alex gives some more info after someone gives an incorrect answer. I can't think of the example from tonight's game, but it just seems like Alex gives these tidbits off the cuff. I wonder if he really does know stuff or if he has a screen that the judges use to quickly give him the info.

• Love 6

I also was surprised and sad when no one got The Beverly Hillbillies or Carroll O'Connor. I don't know why those were TS's but somebody got I Love Lucy, which predated both of those shows by at least a decade. 

Knowing Latin almost backfired on me when it came to FJ. Since the full title translated to "On the Art of Hunting with Birds," I was trying to think of a fancy name for the study of hunting!

• Love 7
(edited)

A friend who has us over for dinner a lot usually makes some kind of frozen treat to go with dessert.  Whenever it's raspberry sorbet (which is often), everyone has to listen to me sing, "She made a raspberry sorbet!"  It's amazing we ever get invited back.

I can't wait till @Toothbrush weighs in on Alex's take on Lake Pontchartrain.  Imagine what he could do with Natchitoches.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Parenthesis on the loose!
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Seriously, why doesn't he say that about the history categories? When they got William II wrong, I wish they would've said, "Sorry Alex, that was before my time."

A lot of wtf answers tonight. Although I would love to hear Prince's version of "Little Deuce Coupe". LOL

ITA....I was laughing so hard at "Little Deuce Coupe" as a Prince song :) Meanwhile, I will have to dial up some Prince & Beach Boys music tonight :)

• Love 6

Mirza is impressive, but he looks like he belongs in the teen tournament.

TS I got were William II, Winston-Salem (missed DD), spaniel, The Beverly Hillbillies, Carroll O'Connor, Lake Pontchartrain, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Little Red Corvette, Banana Republic (missed DD). I said meteorology for FJ because I thought avi meant air d'oh! Dr. Toothbrush got it right. One of those obvious if you know it/once you hear it answers for me. 

I've never found the Causeway (bridge over Lake Pontchartrain - known simply as 'the lake' in NOLA) to be scary, unless it was really foggy. Now the old Huey P. (Long) over the Mississippi is another story. Especially when a train was on the rail bridge at the same time. Frightening - the whole damn thing shook! Fun fact: my dad ran a marathon across the Causeway. I don't think I had started school yet, so it was ca 1977 or 1978. He's still a runner at 73 years old, but the marathon was a one & done. 5Ks are more his speed now. 

3 hours ago, SHD said:

The previous champ reminded me of Alex Dunphy (the character).

Me too

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

My dad once said he liked "that Prince song When Doves Cry or fly or whatever they do" 

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

A friend who has us over for dinner a lot usually makes some kind of frozen treat to go with dessert.  Whenever it's raspberry sorbet (which is often), everyone has to listen to me sing, "She made a raspberry sorbet!)"  It's amazing we ever get invited back.

I can't wait till @Toothbrush weighs in on Alex's take on Lake Pontchartrain.  Imagine what he could do with Natchitoches.

We had to rewind it a few times to get the full effect of the WTF-ery. Except for the 1st t & 1st r which aren't enunciated, it is pronounced exactly how it is spelled, which is not always the case in NOLA. And he wasn't even trying to make it all fancy & Frenchified for a change. We couldn't figure out how he came up with his pronunciation. 

I would totally join in singing raspberry sorbet! 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was impressed that the new champ got The Pickwick Papers.  It might be my favorite Dickens novel, but my sense is that it isn't read that much.  Which could be totally off base.

Anyone who's read Little Women should know The Pickwick Papers!

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I’m not at home, so I didn’t get tot write down my TS, but it seemed like there were an awful lot of them. 

I was also sad (and a little surprised) that Beverly Hillbillies and Carroll O’Connor were TS, though. 

For FJ, “avi” led me to birds, which led me to ornithology.  But it still was just a guess. 

I could've written this entire post. I'm freezing my ass off in Oakland, which is currently about 50 degrees cooler than Tucson was when I left yesterday. I am so used to the AZ heat I may need to buy a parka out here! 

The contestants were horrific at the pop culture stuff, but as a huge Prince fan I was glad the game moved fast enough to reveal all the clues. 

I thought this was an easy game and was surprised by a lot of the TS. I do like the new champ, but he will have trouble if he comes up against a pop culture fan. 

There was a question answered incorrectly with silver nitrate but Alex didn't give the correct answer. I assumed it was just silver. Can anyone confirm? 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 4

I'm not sure what exactly about Mirza bugs me.  Maybe it's that he looks both 15 and 45 simultaneously, maybe that he's yet another Canadian contestant, maybe it's his way of standing or buzzing in or something, but I really don't like him.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not sure what exactly about Mirza bugs me.  Maybe it's that he looks both 15 and 45 simultaneously, maybe that he's yet another Canadian contestant, maybe it's his way of standing or buzzing in or something, but I really don't like him.

Curious... why would it bug you that "he's yet another Canadian contestant"?

• Love 4

Maybe it's that he looks both 15 and 45 simultaneously

I was thinking the same thing! When he was introduced, I thought, he looks about 10, but then as the game progressed, I thought, he looks more like 60. Toddler Jeopardy or Senior Citizen Jeopardy? Looks like he qualifies for both. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Curious... why would it bug you that "he's yet another Canadian contestant"?

There seem to be a lot of them lately, that's all.  I actually like Canadians, so I was just grasping for a reason for my visceral dislike of Mirza.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There seem to be a lot of them lately, that's all.

Very few recently.  I thought Trump had banned Canadian contestants.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, forumfish said:

I've never been on the Pontchatrain bridge, but a friend from NOLA said you always fill the gas tank before starting out. And use the bathroom.

How long is the bridge? 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, ABay said:

If I might ask, as one who has never been and never plans to go to New Orleans, how is one supposed to pronounce Pontchartrain?

Ponchatrain.  You don't pronounce the first "t" or the first "r".  I think Alex has seen the word but never heard it, like the "hog" lady from Wednesday.

Here it is in song:

23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

How long is the bridge? 

It's almost 24 miles.  And it's not a bridge, it's a causeway, which is basically a road built about 15 feet above the water.  It's like you're driving on top of the lake, which to me is creepy.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It's almost 24 miles.  And it's not a bridge, it's a causeway, which is basically a road built about 15 feet above the water.  It's like you're driving on top of the lake, which to me is creepy.

It is creepy and there is no shoulder. If you have any mechanical problems or a flat tire there’s nowhere for you to pull over and safely take care of it. I’ve obsessed about that every time I go to Covington from Metairie. 

Good description on how to pronounce the name Carpe. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It is creepy and there is no shoulder. If you have any mechanical problems or a flat tire there’s nowhere for you to pull over and safely take care of it. I’ve obsessed about that every time I go to Covington from Metairie. 

Good description on how to pronounce the name Carpe. 

The no shoulder part really freaked me out.  I'd be sweating bullets and praying I didn't get a flat tire.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The no shoulder part really freaked me out.  I'd be sweating bullets and praying I didn't get a flat tire.  

Thankfully, there are the crossover areas where traffic can make U-turns and a person could theoretically have a safer option to get out of traffic to change a tire.  

I thought driving over Atchafalaya Basin was bad (18 miles), but this is just a tad more extreme.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm freezing my ass off in Oakland, which is currently about 50 degrees cooler than Tucson was when I left yesterday. I am so used to the AZ heat I may need to buy a parka out here! 

The worst weekend I've ever spent was sharing a hotel room with a friend from LA. When it's 40 degrees, I'm wearing shorts. When it's 60 degrees, she's wearing that parka.

3 hours ago, teebax said:

There was a question answered incorrectly with silver nitrate but Alex didn't give the correct answer. I assumed it was just silver. Can anyone confirm? 

If you scroll up, you will see my post about just that thing. I have lots of history with silver recovery in darkrooms.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said Raspberry Beret at first then quickly came to Little Red Corvette.

If you had played J6 yesterday, you would have been able to say Raspberry Beret and been correct.

4 hours ago, ABay said:

If I might ask, as one who has never been and never plans to go to New Orleans, how is one supposed to pronounce Pontchartrain?

Thanks to Carpe, who posted after this, and Toothbrush, who posted before this post, for the correct way to say it. I never knew there was a problem pronouncing Pontchartrain and completely missed Trebek saying it. Maybe because I was just listening and therefore didn't have a clue what he was saying. That happens a lot, I have to see the clue to know what he just said.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Did I misunderstand the clue? I thought it said that bobby pins was what they're called in the UK.

I think the clue was something like "These are called kirby grips in the UK." But I'm not looking it up to make that positive.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Ponchatrain.  You don't pronounce the first "t" or the first "r".  I think Alex has seen the word but never heard it, like the "hog" lady from Wednesday.

After all the coverage of Hurricane Katrina I can't believe Alex didn't know the pronunciation - I'm sure he keeps up on current affairs.  I reckon he was just being "pompeux".

• Love 6
(edited)

Great video, GalvDuck. But I wish they had turned the camera to the side to see water, water, everywhere. It feels like you are on a narrow road in the middle of the ocean when you are on this thing. I remember the first time I saw the ocean, it looked just like Lake Michigan. *yawn* Such a let down. Pontchartrain gives the same ocean view.

My nephew was living on a houseboat on Pontchartrain when Katrina hit. He was evacuated via helicopter owned by a band he played with.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think the clue was something like "These are called kirby grips in the UK." But I'm not looking it up to make that positive.

I just looked it up. Yes, you're right. Thanks. Wow, I hate how my brain mixed this up.

• Love 2

One of the parts that creeps me out about the causeway, in addition to no shoulders, is the very low railings.  Or have they been raised?  It's been a few years since I've been there, but I like the railings on my bridge-like structures to be a little bit higher than they were the last time I crossed that causeway.

I did record last night -- I'll have to go back and see how Alex pronounced Pontchartrain.  I was at my parents' house, which was full of people, and while we all watched, there was a lot of chatter, too, so I missed some things.

• Love 3

New champ is okay - he reminds me of someone from my childhood whom I didn't like very much so that put me off him a bit.

Fellow on the end was cute and started off well, but then he fizzled.

Lots of ts's for me last night: silver (I knew that was right even though Alex didn't say it), spaniel, Carroll O'Connor, Pontchartrain - I know how to pronounce it but I couldn't have spelled it correctly:), Banana Republic - missed DD, and Del Monte.  I would have got Beverly Hillbillies but for some reason I thought they wanted the lyrics to the song.  Also would have got William II if I had focused on the year, 1099, instead of "crusades".

Like so many of you, I knew FJ was about birds but ornithology just didn't come to me.

• Love 3

David is annoying.  I am sad that he won. 

But I did finally figure out who the previous champ reminds me of -- Dr. Jacques Bailly, the guy who pronounces the words for the National Spelling Bee.  Though perhaps a younger Dr. Bailly.  In fact, both the previous champ and the new champ looked like kids playing dress-up.  New champ was introduced as a student -- a high school student?

FJ was an instaget for me, and I even knew that it was Hundred Acre Wood and not Pooh Forest or One Hundred Acre Wood or any other permutation thereof.  @illdoc, if I could like your post more than once, I would!

And @opus, I'd like your post more than once, too -- I totally pre-called Rocky!

I also got the TS/missed DD of South Dakota, Vermont, God is dead, 25 or 6 to 4, and South Lawn.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

David is annoying.  I am sad that he won. 

But I did finally figure out who the previous champ reminds me of -- Dr. Jacques Bailly, the guy who pronounces the words for the National Spelling Bee.  Though perhaps a younger Dr. Bailly.  In fact, both the previous champ and the new champ looked like kids playing dress-up.  New champ was introduced as a student -- a high school student?

FJ was an instaget for me, and I even knew that it was Hundred Acre Wood and not Pooh Forest or One Hundred Acre Wood or any other permutation thereof.  @illdoc, if I could like your post more than once, I would!

And @opus, I'd like your post more than once, too -- I totally pre-called Rocky!

I also got the TS/missed DD of South Dakota, Vermont, God is dead, 25 or 6 to 4, and South Lawn.

And I would like your post 100 times just by reading your first two sentences!

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Got those and FJ. I love Winnie-the-Pooh. 

58 minutes ago, opus said:

Give me a "like" if you also pre-yelled out Rocky in the squirrel category.

I said Scrat too and was pleasantly surprised that Skippy and Slappy Squirrel made the list. The Who's on First parody the two of them did in the "Woodstock Slappy" episode is hilarious. 

• Love 6

Blech.

It just dawned on me tonight that as an agnostic, I should never say things like "Please, God, don't let that fool in the middle win."  Because then God takes the opportunity to screw with me.

So today we lose Anthony Bourdain and gain Austin Lite.  This week has been so feces-sucking that it feels entirely appropriate to go for a walk in Pooh Forest.  Thanks, John.

• Love 18

Not enough likes for your comment, Mondrianyone. As soon as he said, "My mother is a doctor" my initial opinion was confirmed. As disgusted as I was, my husband, who's not a regular viewer, was even more outraged. He can't stop talking about it. 

I'm still laughing about Pooh Forest. 

• Love 7

I was kind of hoping someone would spell it “Aker” like it is in the original map (I just bought a postcard of it at the V&A Museum). 

Thank you J! for referring to Dawn Treader as the 3rd Narnia book and not the 5th. I hate the new order that is being used. 

• Love 7

I can't stand smirky, buzzer mashing, start-in-the-middle David.  He kept giving Mirza the stink-eye, too.  Please, Flying Spaghetti Monster*, make him flame out on Monday.

I got South Dakota (no one knew where Rapid City is?), Washington, Ulysses, 25 or 6 to 4 (I can't believe no one got that after John said "5 or 6 to 4"), and South Lawn.

I was again clueless for FJ.  I knew it was Winnie the Pooh related, though.

*A god you can pray to @Mondrianyone.  My athiest friends invoke FSM all the time.  ?

• Love 16
Just now, M. Darcy said:

I was kind of hoping someone would spell it “Aker” like it is in the original map (I just bought a postcard of it at the V&A Museum). 

Thank you J! for referring to Dawn Treader as the 3rd Narnia book and not the 5th. I hate the new order that is being used. 

Seconded for the order of the Narnia books!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

So today we lose Anthony Bourdain and gain Austin Lite.  This week has been so feces-sucking that it feels entirely appropriate to go for a walk in Pooh Forest. 

I tried to like this 1,000 times, but it wouldn't let me.

• Love 6

I felt bad about not liking David, but then I came to this forum and I was like, "My people - you get it!" He reminded me of the jerk in every John Hughes movie. Mostly he just came across as insincere/rehearsed - like a theater kid or the male version of a pageant girl. 

I never watch the interviews, so can someone tell me why him saying his Mom was a doctor was so infuriating?

Anyway, for FJ I said 40 Acre Wood. Mostly because I never read the books and disliked the animated programs because I thought Pooh sounded like an old man instead of having a cute bear voice. 

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

25 or 6 to 4 (I can't believe no one got that after John said "5 or 6 to 4")

It was before their time, but I'm a big fan of Chicago so I knew it even though it's before my time too. 

15 minutes ago, SHD said:

I said 40 Acre Wood.

Did you confuse that with 40 acres and a mule? 

• Love 6

Didn't like the new winner. 

I knew FJ was about Pooh but didn't know the name of the area.  Poohland?  Poohcorner?  Poohwooods?  Poohville?  I was never big on Winnie the Pooh.  I mean its OK, just never my favorite. 

I am scared for my favorite musician now, Billy Joel.  Hope they didn't curse him. 

• Love 9

I just watched the last three shows, and I was surprised at how easy they all were.  I zipped through multiple categories in each show (the pop culture ones were especially basic) and got a bunch of TSs.  There were some truly pathetic TSs and some cringe-worthy misses.

• Love 2