Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Re latin (which I took all through high school... many moons ago), I always chuckle when I remember my Dad's joke about conjugating the verb 'po': [Note for latin perfectionists - this is just a 'joke' and not a true conjugation. I'm not even sure the verb 'po' exists.]

po... pis... pit... pimus... pistis... pant(s).

Say it really fast.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't listening to the interviews, but, yes, what a wonderful, unique gift. I don't understand why Alex can't just respond, "What a special gift for them," instead of, "Yada yada back to me...."

The interviews are always "Yada yada back to me" with Trebek. It's either that or he hand waves it with a "Good for you." The interviews are when we get to see the real Trebek.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If I could go back in history, I would have taken Latin in high school.  

I second that. We were offered Latin, Spanish and French. All the cool kids took French. The smart kids took Latin. I took Spanish.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Nash was a car. Lois Lane drove one. 

Nash Rambler! It also was a song by the Playmates (1958). Beep beep. Which makes Nashville a better answer than my Philadelphia.

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I tasked Dr. Toothbrush with buying stamps tomorrow, but I'm doing it now. He never gets the good stamps.  

I also bought the bioluminescent ones, which are beautiful. So shiny!

• Love 7

I dragged myself out of my deathbed to watch yesterday so my brain was very fuzzy.  I got no TS and was clueless for FJ.  I'm fully recovered today so, hopefully, I'll do better tonight.

Latin was one of my favorite subjects in high school.  I took all four years.  The teacher was a young, cool dude (with a mustache!) who made it fun.  His tests sometimes would involve translating a Beatles or Jimi Hendrix, etc. song into Latin.  I always smile when I think of those days.  Jacta id ad me, infans! (Sock it to me, baby!)

• Love 11
(edited)

WTHeck Carpe, you already had a deathbed experience recently. Snap out of it!

Your Latin teacher sounds fine. I had absolutely no crush-able teachers throughout my entire educational years. *sigh*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He often doesn't say it in the first game of the tournament. He didn't do it for the first college tournament game.

The first day of this past college tournament had non-winners both under $5,000. Neither of those scores would be considered competitive. He will often remark about the wild card potential if the contestant is over the $10,000 mark. With Claire's score of $13,800, I was surprised he didn't mention it. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I also bought the bioluminescent ones, which are beautiful. So shiny!

I wanted some of those, but my post office was sold out!  I had to get some crappy ones with roses on them.  Ick.

• Love 4

All the cool kids took French.

I'm a cool kid!  Heh, all those years of French and I can basically say My Name is Jenny and I'd like to order a ham sandwich with cheese. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

We were offered Latin, Spanish and French. All the cool kids took French. The smart kids took Latin. I took Spanish.

And you are...?

I also took Spanish. My siblings took French -- I'm the youngest -- and they advised me to take Spanish because it was more practical. We grew up in SoCal.

I must get to the PO to buy those Mr Rogers stamps. I'll check out the bioluminescent ones, too.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I'm a cool kid!  Heh, all those years of French and I can basically say My Name is Jenny and I'd like to order a ham sandwich with cheese. 

I can go to Mexico City and ask anyone where the library is, and to pass the butter. I gave up trying to habla when I was talking to non-English speaking Mexican horse grooms. They couldn't understand anything I said, then it would dawn on them and they would pronounce it correctly for me. That's when I realized, having been taught by an American, that my accent was so bad no Spanish speaker could understand me. So humiliating.

23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

And you are...?

Feel free to fill in the blank. (Be nice!)

48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I wanted some of those, but my post office was sold out!  I had to get some crappy ones with roses on them.  Ick.

The postal clerk had to go into the back room and it took her forever (ha) to find some. I wasn't leaving without them.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The postal clerk had to go into the back room and it took her forever (ha) to find some. I wasn't leaving without them.

The postal clerks here were all complaining that they didn't have any -- seems everyone's trying to get those and the Mr. Rogers ones, too.  The guy I bought my stamps from checked every drawer every where in the post office, and no dice. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I live in a touristy town and there were no postcard stamps. (I take them with me when I go on vacation so I can write, address, stamp it, then leave it with someone at the front desk to put into the mail).  I learned this lesson when the hotel tried to charge me double! I will be on the lookout for Mr Rogers ones when I go back. I got stuck with the roses too. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Oops. Caught a misspelling.
  • Love 5
(edited)

You can buy stamps, not only the 50-cent forevers but ones worth different amounts at usps.com. Mr. Rogers and the bioluminescent ones are there, and some cool jack-o-lantern ones that were not available at my p.o. You have to pay postage (gah!) to buy them online though, $1.25, which made it cheaper for me to stop at the p.o.

Does everyone love flowers so much that there are WAY too many flower stamps? I like flowers but they are so boring on stamps. Stamps would be a neat Jeopardy category.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, whinewithwine said:

I don't have the time to get to the P.O. so I ordered from usps.com.  Got Elvis and Janis stamps too.

I had the Janis ones and also Jimi Hendrix. One of my favorites was a single red rooster. I also give stamps as a gift when I give someone stationery. I’m just finishing up some Andrew Wyeth ones with his art displayed. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m just finishing up some Andrew Wyeth ones with his art displayed. 

Oh, rats, I missed those. I would buy them in a heartbeat. I also love his dad's illustration work, N.C. Wyeth.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Does everyone love flowers so much that there are WAY too many flower stamps? I like flowers but they are so boring on stamps. Stamps would be a neat Jeopardy category.

Isn't "stamps" a Clavin Category?  I have Elvis, Janis AND Paul Newman stamps.  Those get doled out sparingly.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 4
Just now, saber5055 said:

Oh, rats, I missed those. I would buy them in a heartbeat. I also love his dad's illustration work, N.C. Wyeth.

If you're ever in PA, you should go to the Brandywine Museum, which has a permanent (I think) Wyeth family collection.  It's also the most beautiful museum I've ever been in, surrounded by woods and the Brandywine Creek, all framed by huge windows, so they're like pieces of art as well.  I'd say go to Longwood Gardens nearby, but if you hate flowers . . . ;o)

Thanks for the usps.com recommendation, guys.  I just bought Janis and Sarah Vaughan stamps, which I didn't even know existed.  As much as I learn on J!, I learn at least twice as much here.

P.S.  My husband has a sheet of genuine Richard Nixon stamps that have been altered by an artist to look like Nixon's behind bars.  I don't see how they can be legal, but he uses them all the time, and the mail goes through.  God bless America.

• Love 6
(edited)

I really enjoyed last night's game.  The teachers were sharp, quick and intelligent and I didn't notice any embarrassing guesses.  Hope tonight's game is as good.

My only two ts's were Toronto and LeCarre.  I said Philadelphia for FJ.  I am pretty sure it was named for Philip Carson, Kit's second cousin, twice removed:)

Sometimes, at Canada Post, if you are really lucky, you can get stamps with the Queen of England on them:)  Actually, Canada Post does put out some really nifty stamps although no good examples come to mind, other than the Superman stamps back in 2013.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Stamps would be a neat Jeopardy category.

I just watched Daytime Jeopardy!  It was an episode from last years' Teacher's Tournament.  One of the categories was Postage Stamps.

• Love 8

That's fascinating about the stamps.  Are you guys collectors?  Send a lot of actual letters?  I think it's cool that something like Mr. Rogers stamps exist, but I can't imagine going out of my way to buy them just to send out on the rare bill that I have to send through the mail.  But now I feel like I have to check out the bioluminescent ones!

• Love 7

Tuesday's game was deceptive. It seemed to me like the woman on the left answered far less often than the other two but she ended up ahead going into FJ.

I thought the guy in the middle looked like Corbin Bernson.

Why wasn't the Elvis answer a BMS? He could've meant Elvis Costello, right? Ha ha.

• Love 8

FJ! was a bit of a poser but I finally got it.  I thought the Globe was built before the 1990s.  Is it wrong that I want one of them to spend their grant on hookers and blow?  LOL

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SHD said:

Tuesday's game was deceptive. It seemed to me like the woman on the left answered far less often than the other two but she ended up ahead going into FJ.

It seems that way because she hardly rang in the second half of DJ. She hit some of the high value clues early and didn't answer incorrectly. She built up most of her lead on the left side of the board with the high answers in Genius: Picasso and got Dean Martin for $2000. 

Rumpelstiltskin? Fail!

I thought Rachel looked somewhat like Mena Suvari. 

10 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I thought the Globe was built before the 1990s. 

I got the Globe Theatre also. I too figured they would have rebuilt earlier than that, but it was the only thing I could think of. 

• Love 7

Today was my turn for an instaget FJ. I said it before Alex finished reading. 

Lots of TS today. I had eighth wonder of the world (not sure why Erika didn't get that after the two others screwed it up), Ain't She Sweet, lexicographer DD, Spanish American War, Jack Johnson, Harlequin, Ole Miss, and Gwendolyn Brooks.

I was disappointed with Erika's performance in the African-American Firsts category. These were things most contestants should know, but an African-American teacher really should have known some of these. I hope that's not too politically incorrect to say. It's important we know our history. 

• Love 12

Pretty good game.  No jumping around or starting in the middle of categories, everyone was professional and came to play.

A picture of Al Capone?  Really?

I got Ain't She Sweet, lexicographer (DD), and Jack Johnson.

I also answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.  Tower Bridge and Village Inn?  WTH!!??

• Love 11

I too got the FJ....I remembered reading a story about the Globe Theater being re-built, and Tower Bridge & Village Inn?!  Don't they know the Tower Bridge got re-located to Arizona?   And I was at the PO yesterday, they were out of Mr. Rodgers, so I picked the Flowers, I thought they were pretty :) The Hubby picked the Purple Heart ones.  My family thinks I keep Hallmark in business, I send lots & lots of cards & use lots of stamps :)

• Love 4

I didn't realize the Globe was such a well known fact. I was clueless. 

For TS I got Ain’t She Sweet, Spanish-American War, Jack Johnson, Ole Miss, and Gwendolyn Brooks.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I was disappointed with Erika's performance in the African-American Firsts category. These were things most contestants should know, but an African-American teacher really should have known some of these. I hope that's not too politically incorrect to say. It's important we know our history. 

I'll be politically incorrect along with you. I'll go even further and say that not only do I think it's shameful an African-American educator doesn't know James Meredith went to Ole Miss, but I feel that's a fact every African-American college student/grad should know.

I liked Bob and was hoping he would pull off the win but he made a couple of silly guesses. The woman on the right was really good; I think she's going to be stiff competition in the semis.

• Love 6

As a native Oregonian, I was annoyed that Rachel was credited with the correct answer for "Crater".  The name of the park is Crater Lake.  I've seen Alex quibble about smaller oversights.    

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teebax said:

Yeah, I was disappointed in all of them, but there was a special sadness that she didn't do better with those clues.

I've been to London several times, so I'd have bet big on FJ based on the category (and won), but I feel like I'd have known it even without visiting.  I'd certainly have known it wasn't the Tower Bridge.  A thatched roof on the Tower Bridge?  What an embarrassingly stupid guess; just write down nothing.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I had the same reaction. 

TSs I got were Eighth Wonder of the World, Ain't She Sweet, and Salinger. I couldn't quite remember the name of the Charlie Chaplin film, and didn't get any farther than The Gold Mine, which I knew was wrong. I also got FJ, which seemed pretty easy to me.

It bugged me that Bob got credit for answering 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' when the question was asking for the character.

Rachel was very impressive. Yay for special ed teachers! IMO, they are true heroes/heroines.

• Love 11

Not as good of a game as yesterday, but all 3 players were pretty sharp overall, despite crazy guesses. Unfortunately it is unlikely that either Erika or Bob will gain wildcard entry to the semi's.

TS I got were 8th wonder of the world, "Ain't She Sweet", Spanish American War, Salinger, Ole Miss. FJ was an instaget.

<pic of Al Capone> who's this? Ugh! 

Surprised Elvis was not a BMS, but was he known as Elvis or Elvis Presley during his heyday? If Elvis alone, I can see them accepting it, despite Elvis Costello. It was before my time, heh, but a former boss, and my 32-year-old brother are Elvis super fans, and I've only ever heard them refer to him as simply 'Elvis'.  And I think on the Graceland tour we took it was just Elvis.  

3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

My family thinks I keep Hallmark in business, I send lots & lots of cards & use lots of stamps :)

I'm sure the recipients appreciate them. I love receiving cards!

2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

As a native Oregonian, I was annoyed that Rachel was credited with the correct answer for "Crater".  The name of the park is Crater Lake.  I've seen Alex quibble about smaller oversights.    

I'm not from Oregon, but agree. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

I don't have the time to get to the P.O. so I ordered from usps.com.  Got Elvis and Janis stamps too.

I got the Star Trek stamps online & used them for my Xmas cards. One time, before "Forever" stamps, they had a Hitchcock stamp that was cut out with a laser in the shape of his profile that was the logo for his TV show. I used 'em on some Hallowe'en cards and they looked so cool, with the orange of the envelope revealed by the cut-out in the stamp. But then, postage went up and they retired the stamp. I was SO disappointed. I'd have been happy to use them the rest of my life.  The post-card valued stamps had some designs with vegetables that were SO pretty - they looked like the labels growers used to put on the crates.

Back on topic...I didn't watch yesterday due to the monthly condo board meeting, so I got nothing. But I still have to babble, don't I?

• Love 6

I guess Gold Rush and Ain't She Sweet were before their time. (Also before mine, but that doesn't mean I didn't know them. Duh.) Also got the 8th Wonder of the world and the University of Mississippi.

I call an instaget one I get before Alex finishes reading the clue so "The Globe" wasn't quite that for me but I did say it authoritatively and nodded my head. I didn't remember exactly when they rebuilt it, but I knew it was within recent memory. Also, they used it in the Doctor Who episode The Shakespeare Code and showed the thatched roof. Being a sci-fi-loving Anglophile comes in handy occasionally. It was unusual that they got permission to film there and shows how beloved Doctor Who is.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Rumpelstiltskin? Fail!

Well, he did laugh at himself, so that made me think more kindly of him.

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Ain't She Sweet, lexicographer (DD), and Jack Johnson.

I was all "Jackson?? Johnson??" and then when they said Jack Johnson, I understood my confusion.

11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The London Bridge - different from the Tower Bridge - was relocated to Arizona.

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/london-bridge-tower-bridge/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

And a more underwhelming sight I've never seen. We detoured from the Grand Canyon just to see it. To be fair, nothing would have measured up to the Grand Canyon.

11 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Me too (on both counts)! I was convinced there'd be a score adjustment.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

It bugged me that Bob got credit for answering 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' when the question was asking for the character.

Whatever Alex was doing with his accent for that confused the heck out of me. For a hot second I thought he was doing Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

I struggled with FJ, because like a lot of you, I thought it had been done earlier. But I got it - because I couldn't think of anything else in London that would have a thatched roof.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I thought Lake was in the clue, and that was why it wasn't required.

For "Ain't She Sweet" I misunderstood the clue and thought they were asking for the composer/lyricist.  For Gyllenhaal, I was trying to remember if there was another brother who was an actor.  Nope.  I knew Globe Theatre right off.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That's fascinating about the stamps.  Are you guys collectors?  Send a lot of actual letters?  I think it's cool that something like Mr. Rogers stamps exist, but I can't imagine going out of my way to buy them just to send out on the rare bill that I have to send through the mail.  But now I feel like I have to check out the bioluminescent ones!

I don’t collect stamps but have some still on their postcards from when my friend sent them as he was photographing an archeological dig in Syria for Yale University. They might be worth something someday. 

I call it snail mail Sunday. I send bday cards, cards of support or letters to friends that don’t live near me. I always keep a stock of all kinds of cards. Usually just bills come in the mail. Well, that, telemarketing and catalogs. I like to sneak in something cheerful when they least expect it. PM me with your real name and address if you want to be included. I can keep a secret. Ask so-and-so lol. 

• Love 7

Even I, a 60 year old white female, knew the University of Mississippi.  I was what, 5 or 6 when it happened, but it is a landmark event that every educator should know.  Gold Rush and Ain't She Sweet were well before my time but I knew them.  In fact, I sang Ain't She Sweet to the cat and tried to Charleston.  I buy postage stamps because my hobby is rubber stamping so I'm always sending out handmade cards. 

• Love 5

For some reason, it irritates me when a player says, "I've always wanted to say this: Let's make it a true daily double." So when Bob, who had $2,000, wagered $2,000 when he uncovered a DD, Trebek has to say, "Oooh, a True Daily Double." It's like he gets paid more when that phrase is said.

How can André the Giant AND a ballpark both be The Eighth Wonder of the World?

I can sing all the words to Ain't She Sweet but for the life of me couldn't come up with the name. I know, right?

Thank you Timeless for me knowing Robert Johnson was King of the Delta Blues. (I love that show.)

The DD of The Lottery was brainlessly easy. He had to be kicking himself he only bet $1,000.

FJ was another tank for me. I had no clue The Globe was rebuilt in London. Shouldn't it have stayed in Stratford? However, Hagrid's house I know has a thatched roof. It's not in Stratford (or London) either.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think they were called that at different times.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's just a nickname used for things or people of great size/importance/beauty that can be compared to the original seven. There are multiple things that have carried that nickname - the Empire State Building and the Panama Canal are two others.

(I'll always think of André the Giant when I hear that term,  though. WWF tried to do something similar with Chyna, calling her the Ninth Wonder of the World, but that didn't quite stick as well.)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 3:17 PM, Mondrianyone said:

If you're ever in PA, you should go to the Brandywine Museum, which has a permanent (I think) Wyeth family collection. 

Color me dumbly stupid. I know the Wyeths were part of the Bradywine School but "ass"umed it was in New England. I've driven to the Philadelphia area more times than I can count, and have done some sightseeing (Gettysburg) on the way home. I didn't know until now (Thanks Mondianyone!) that the Brandywine Museum is a short distance from where I have been. Duh. I do know that I don't like driving in Pennsylvania -- it takes DAYS to get through, it's the longest state. Just like West Virginia is a driver's nightmare, it takes forever to get out of there once you venture in.

21 hours ago, SHD said:

Why wasn't the Elvis answer a BMS? He could've meant Elvis Costello, right? Ha ha.

Or Elvis Carson, Kit's cousin.

19 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'll be politically incorrect along with you. I'll go even further and say that not only do I think it's shameful an African-American educator doesn't know James Meredith went to Ole Miss, but I feel that's a fact every African-American college student/grad should know.

I'll condense that down even more by saying every AMERICAN should know Meredith went to Mississippi.

19 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

As a native Oregonian, I was annoyed that Rachel was credited with the correct answer for "Crater".  The name of the park is Crater Lake.

I agree with another poster that the clue was asking for the name of the lake, not name of the park.

20 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

A picture of Al Capone?  Really?

The best part is, we all can recognize Capone but not some scientist or politician.

18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Trebek did hesitate, then gave it to him. I guess players can say any number of words as long as the correct answer is in there somewhere.

p.s. The wind is blowing AGAIN today so today's show is going in and out, mostly out. So irritating. I'll have to watch on YouTube later I guess.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Handsome contestant alert (this is not a spoiler but it is in today's episode, haha), he resembles a cross between Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling, in my opinion. I just had to let y'all know before I forgot!

• Love 5

Last night's game wasn't quite as good as Monday's but it was okay. 

My ts's were The Goldrush, Lexicographer, Spanish American and U of Mississippi - that was a big surprise to me that no one got it.

Did not get FJ.  I didn't even have an inkling.  I do remember reading about the rebuilding of the Globe Theatre but it never entered my mind.

I doubt either of the losers from last night will make it to semi-finals, but you never know - Erika's $5600 might just make it.

• Love 1