Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

What's with all the loudness?

I bailed on the college 2 weeks because of shouting contestants.  Barely made it through Randy.  Then today while the volume was much less the new champ just hit my last nerve with her not quite shouting.  It's time for me skip Jeopardy till it's too hot to do anything else and then too cold to do anything else.

Geez....never thought I would say that.  

• Love 3

Not too hot of a night because someone, who doesn’t know The Rules, called me right after I got the TS bonehouse. I was slaying that category. I did beg off in time to get Norway and did get FJ. It was my Moms favorite candy. 

I didn’t see Roberts “bouncing” but I did think he was a bit too enthusiastic and clapped fast and long. Neat on his bachelor party. It probably was fun. 

I did like Carolyn’s necklace with the O-ring that had  a bunch of charms hanging from it but wasn’t overly happy to see her win. She has weird head movements. 

Alex had a whole category to show off that he can do Italian (besides his beloved French). I usually play this with my neighbor who is from Italy. Dang I wish he was home to rate Alex for me! 

@deemac Please don’t give up yet. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Add a comment
  • Love 2

I missed the intros for Carolyn and Robert, but saw Jen's and she was smiling up a STORM. So I was curious why Trebek said Robert and Carolyn were "so happy" in their intros. I hope neither were miming, jumping up and down and/or waving.

Robert was a happy bouncer but Carolyn, OMG, she was a head shaker and her gap mouth was just waiting for someone to toss jellybeans in or something. Her "I'm so cute" head tossing, hair shaking and that freaking OPEN MOUTH made me dislike her in an intense way.

Because of her wide-open maw and cutesy act, I was doubly irritated that she was given "graphic" for Computer Generated Image. WTH. Since when can you change the words in an acronym? CGI does NOT contain the word "graphic." This show can make me so mad sometimes. By Jeopardy standards, ATM could stand for Anonymous Tendollarbill Machine.

I got whip for the missed DD, but said caballero instead of vaquero for the other. I guess I had Spanish cowboy horses on the brain instead of Spanish cowboy cows.

I thought Robert was beyond cute and fun and so happy to be there, plus he was clapping for everyone. I absolutely fell in love with him. I was thrilled, thrilled I tell you, that he was ahead and was going to be the new champ after seeing that way-too-easy FJ clue. Carolyn I had determined was a dumb ass and undeserving to win. Poor Jen just sort of got smoked, but at least she got FJ.

Then ... WTH! Two misses on Baby Ruth? I guess I should calm down about players missing things I know. I write that as I sit here next to my sleeve of mini Baby Ruth candy bars (yes, seriously). They are my second favorite, right behind Heaths. And yes, the swimming-pool scene in Caddyshack is one of my favorites. It always makes me hungry for a full-sized BR.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

It took me about 15 seconds but I figured out Babe Ruth. He's the only candy-adjacent athlete I can even think of, besides Marshawn Lynch and his Skittles, and that is far too recent.

There was also the Reggie! bar, named for Reggie Jackson.  I was present when he hit his 400th home run.  Supposedly the candy bars were handed out to fans entering Yankee Stadium, who then threw them onto the field when he hit a homer.  I never got one, but a candy bar would have to taste pretty bad for me to waste it like that.

Oh, yeah, and I know another bit of trivia about Philo T. Farnsworth.  He was born in Beaver, Utah.  I know this because that's where our car broke down driving across the country.  We had to stay there for about a week, which is how long it took to get the repair done.  The Saturday-night show at the movie house was canceled because we were the only people who came to see it.  I understand why Philo left.

Edited by Mondrianyone
More scintillating factoids
  • Love 8
40 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

And years ago wasn’t there a contestant who got to return to the show after a Baby Ruth FJ question? 

Wasn't it who the Baby Ruth bar was (supposed to be) named for? I remember that question/clue/answer, it has been a while back though. Today was the first time I'm aware of that Babe Ruth the ballplayer got a mention for his lawsuit.

5 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

There was also the Reggie! bar, named for Reggie Jackson.

I remember the Reggie bar, but hadn't thought of it (or seen one) for years. I do have a complaint about the Baby Ruth bars really being cheapskates on the peanuts now though. They are not like "the old days" any more. (Still good though.)

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because of her wide-open maw and cutesy act, I was doubly irritated that she was given "graphic" for Computer Generated Image. WTH. Since when can you change the words in an acronym? CGI does NOT contain the word "graphic." This show can make me so mad sometimes. By Jeopardy standards, ATM could stand for Anonymous Tendollarbill Machine.

Oh, I'd forgotten that!  And I agree completely -- no way should the CGI decision have been reversed.  Our ATMs, though, would be Anonymous Twentydollarbill Machines.  LOL

• Love 7

Yep, I thought the FJ tonight was a "get".....think of a famous athlete whose name would conjure up candy!  And Babe Ruth lost his lawsuit because the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's child, "Baby" Ruth.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And Babe Ruth lost his lawsuit because the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's child, "Baby" Ruth.

Or so they said!

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Our ATMs, though, would be Anonymous Twentydollarbill Machines.  LOL

This made me laugh. Because obviously you are able to withdraw more $ than I am. To quote Trebek: "Good for you!"

(ETA: I've never used an ATM. Maybe they only give out twenties. If so ... never mind.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

I got the spitting cobra and the majority whip, as well as the easy FJ. What other famous baseball payer could it have been in that era? But I admit, I'm no stranger to the brain fart, so I guess I can understand missing it.

I liked bouncy Robert - he's one of those where he was charming enough to overcome otherwise annoying quirks. His Jeopardy party sounds like it was a blast. I'll bet that being on Jeopardy was a lifetime highlight for him, even if he didn't win. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex had a whole category to show off that he can do Italian (besides his beloved French). I usually play this with my neighbor who is from Italy. Dang I wish he was home to rate Alex for me!

I was surprised that he pronounced "Beatrice" and "Laura" as a non-Italian would. I've heard Italians say "Bay-ah-tree-chay" and pronounce the first syllable of "Laura" to rhyme with "now."

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Oh, yeah, and I know another bit of trivia about Philo T. Farnsworth.  He was born in Beaver, Utah.  I know this because that's where our car broke down driving across the country.  We had to stay there for about a week, which is how long it took to get the repair done.  The Saturday-night show at the movie house was canceled because we were the only people who came to see it.  I understand why Philo left.

Good for you. 

Just kidding; that's a great story! 

Robert would stare down the others whenever they rang in. It was odd. That and his FJ antics annoyed me, but I liked his enthusiasm otherwise. 

Sara Gilbert's lookalike was a bit loud but I liked her. 

I had Farnsworth, whip, Vaccaro, Comstock Lode, and FJ in an instaget. 

I am an 80s girl through and through and have zero recollection of a safari craze. Maybe it didn't make it to Philly. I remember the movie being popular but not the craze. 

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yep, I thought the FJ tonight was a "get".....think of a famous athlete whose name would conjure up candy!  And Babe Ruth lost his lawsuit because the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's child, "Baby" Ruth.

30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Or so they said!

There was skepticism in our house, too.  I think the candy company made up that story about Grover Cleveland's daughter to capitalize on Babe Ruth's name without paying him any endorsement fees.  She died seventeen years before the candy bar appeared.  Wikipedia seems to agree , although there are several layers of different stories (chocolate, nougat, peanuts . . .) The dates just don't make sense.

• Love 8

So I was thinking about Alex being on RuPaul's Drag Race (his episode hasn't aired yet) and I realized that they must be going to do a "Drag Jeopardy" challenge. I don't know how they'll do it with more than 3 contestants, but I'm sure they'll figure something out. I can't wait.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I'll bet that being on Jeopardy was a lifetime highlight for him, even if he didn't win. 

I'm also going to wager that his friends are going to flood him with Baby Ruth bars. (I'd be up for that, they are delicious.)

18 minutes ago, teebax said:

I had Farnsworth, whip, Vaccaro, Comstock Lode, and FJ in an instaget. 

Brenda?

Thanks for the Baby Ruth link Mondrianyone. I've always thought the candy company didn't want to pay The Babe so made up the story about Cleveland's daughter. Especially since she'd been dead 17 years before the candy bar was invented so was hardly a "baby." Especially interesting is this tidbit from your link. Babe Ruth would have had his own REAL candy bar except Curtiss nixed the deal.

The company did not negotiate an endorsement deal with Ruth, and many saw the company's story about the origin of the name to be a devious way to avoid having to pay the baseball player any royalties. Curtiss successfully shut down a rival bar that was approved by, and named for, Ruth, on the grounds that the names were too similar.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Our ATMs, though, would be Anonymous Twentydollarbill Machines.

At one time the $20 bills from ATMs were known as yuppie food stamps.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I'll speak for all guys, and say we've never heard or called it anything other than a "car bra".  I had one on my fire engine red Dodge Daytona back in the day ("the day" being defined as before kids).

Car bras are not the only bras that get less attention after children.  Right ladies?

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, teebax said:

I am an 80s girl through and through and have zero recollection of a safari craze. Maybe it didn't make it to Philly. I remember the movie being popular but not the craze. 

I don't recall it, either. Everyone I knew either dressed like Madonna, Duran Duran or wore CHOOSE LIFE t-shirts.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

“Jack-uhmo” is not going to impress any Italians. 

• Love 2

Jen was very soft spoken tonight, and Carolyn spokemuchtooquicklyandranherwordstogether.  Sometime difficult to understand.  Robert was OK.

I didn't write down my gets, but I remember getting whip and vaquero, and FJ was an instaget for me.  Who/what else could it be but Babe Ruth/Baby Ruth?

• Love 3

Damned NFL Draft pre-empted tonight's episode and will tomorrow, too.  And they're not playing it later!  I've already emailed the station to complain.  Jackwads.  And the YouTube videos that are up are pixilated or cut off every answer.  Grrrrr!

What I did see of Carolyn Smartass Cod Mouth, I didn't like and I'm sorry to hear she won.

Guess I'll see you guys Monday.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

There was also the Reggie! bar, named for Reggie Jackson.  I was present when he hit his 400th home run.  Supposedly the candy bars were handed out to fans entering Yankee Stadium, who then threw them onto the field when he hit a homer.  I never got one, but a candy bar would have to taste pretty bad for me to waste it like that.

Reggie Jackson wasn't even alive in 1931, let alone suing anyone!  

The former candy-maker couldn't put together Candy + 1930's Athlete = Baby/Babe Ruth??  OK, then.

One more thing.....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Tom! (Friday's show!)

11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Damned NFL Draft pre-empted tonight's episode and will tomorrow, too.

This made me laugh, because I pre-empted the show on my own -- I skipped tonight's episode in favor of round one of the draft (one of my sacred days of the year), and was hoping to read the clues via the archive, but it's not updated yet, so I went ahead and spoiled myself by reading here.  Maybe I'll record tomorrow night's episode (since I'll be watching rounds two and three of the draft) just in case.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I don't recall it, either. Everyone I knew either dressed like Madonna, Duran Duran or wore CHOOSE LIFE t-shirts.

I wanted a Frankie Says RELAX t-shirt myself, but then I would have had to explain that song to my parents, and that wasn’t going to happen.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And yes, the swimming-pool scene in Caddyshack is one of my favorites. It always makes me hungry for a full-sized BR.

Fortunately, we knew it really was a candy bar in the pool. 

1 hour ago, teebax said:

Sara Gilbert's lookalike was a bit loud but I liked her. 

I didn't mind her either, but while I can see betting nothing given the obscure category, I was surprised that someone who was once a candymaker didn't realize it was about Baby Ruth. 

8 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I wanted a Frankie Says RELAX t-shirt myself, but then I would have had to explain that song to my parents, and that wasn’t going to happen.

I'm trying to figure out how else Relax could be interpreted, but the song isn't exactly subtle.  

• Love 3

I was rooting for either Robert or Jen, so of course Darlene Conner Sara Gilbert Carolyn wins. I was surprised that she didn't get FJ being a former candy make (not to mention it was easy), but she should not have been given credit for computer graphic imaging. Just no. At least she & Robert stopped the "Can I have <category> for <dollar amount> please?" pretty quickly. 

Ran the 80s & BB categories.  Only TS I got were Norway & romano a mano (that was a fun category). FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the word candy.

3 hours ago, Kathira said:

I liked bouncy Robert - he's one of those where he was charming enough to overcome otherwise annoying quirks. His Jeopardy party sounds like it was a blast. I'll bet that being on Jeopardy was a lifetime highlight for him, even if he didn't win. 

He had 2 Jeopardy parties! How fun that he got to be Alex Trebek at his bachelor party. I hope his friends included clues with lots of French words, and that he was able to say "be more specific", "no, the other one", & "it was before your time" at least once. 

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

There was skepticism in our house, too.  I think the candy company made up that story about Grover Cleveland's daughter to capitalize on Babe Ruth's name without paying him any endorsement fees.  She died seventeen years before the candy bar appeared.  Wikipedia seems to agree , although there are several layers of different stories (chocolate, nougat, peanuts . . .) The dates just don't make sense.

I had no idea about the controversy, but now ITA that the Curtiss Candy Company was trying to get out of paying the Babe royalties. Didn't realize Ruth Cleveland had been dead for 17 years before the candy bar came out. That's pretty macabre 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Now I want a candy bar. Chocolate!

God me too!!! I already wanted candy when Carolyn mentioned being a candy maker, then FJ put me over the edge. We need to go raid @saber5055 's stash. 

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

A friend of yours? 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 10

I wasn't suggesting that Reggie Jackson was involved in the Baby Ruth lawsuit, @The Wild Sow, just that he was another "candy-adjacent" athlete (I love that phrase!), per @ClareWalks's post:

15 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It took me about 15 seconds but I figured out Babe Ruth. He's the only candy-adjacent athlete I can even think of

Edited by Mondrianyone
For context
  • Love 5

as I sit here next to my sleeve of mini Baby Ruth candy bars (yes, seriously). They are my second favorite, right behind Heaths.

It's like I have a twin! Follow up those two with Butterfingers and you have the Prevailing Wind Trifecta.

I didn't hear Carolyn Codmouth the first time, but I heard the whispering the second time. Twice, after the clue was revealed closed captioning said Carolyn was whispering. I'd never seen that on CC before. She's a former candymaker and some sort of software engineer and she misses Baby Ruth AND CGI??!?!  I feel sorry for her employer.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:
6 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

A friend of yours? 

Edited 5 hours ago by Toothbrush.

You might even say he's just like a brother to me!

• Love 15
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

said caballero instead of vaquero for the other. I guess I had Spanish cowboy horses on the brain instead of Spanish cowboy cows.

Great minds think alike. I made the same mistake! 

• Love 2

So deceiving to learn she was a "candy maker", but it was salt water taffy she made.  Augghhh.......the worst of all "candy".  Barely qualifies as candy.  Just love chewing on a small piece of food for 30 minutes, wearing out my jaw to get a tiny bit of flavor. 

I can't believe they have her CGI, but then DIDN"T give her, what was it, "favorite child" instead of "favorite son".  That was closer than her CGI answer and in the age of political correctness and changing language I figured they would count child for son. 

But overall I liked her, even if she did keep saying the answer before ALex called on her. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

The former candy-maker couldn't put together Candy + 1930's Athlete = Baby/Babe Ruth??  OK, then.

Well to be fair to the candy, they release the candy bar in 1920 or so and Babe Ruth at that time, while he was playing major league baseball, was not even yet on the Yankees or had just been traded by the red sox and had not yet attained the fame he would attain later in his career.  They release the bar around the same time of the infamous trade by the Red Sox to the Yankees, so its not like anyone anticipated he was going to become the best player of his generation and arguably the best of all time in the next decade.

But probably still more likely than naming the candy bar after a former president's daughter that had been dead 17 years

• Love 3
3 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Retroactive good luck to him! Please pass on any behind the scenes dish he shares.  

39 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

So deceiving to learn she was a "candy maker", but it was salt water taffy she made.  Augghhh.......the worst of all "candy".  Barely qualifies as candy.  Just love chewing on a small piece of food for 30 minutes, wearing out my jaw to get a tiny bit of flavor. 

I can't believe they have her CGI, but then DIDN"T give her, what was it, "favorite child" instead of "favorite son".  That was closer than her CGI answer and in the age of political correctness and changing language I figured they would count child for son. 

But overall I liked her, even if she did keep saying the answer before ALex called on her. 

Except for Starburst, I only accept chocolate as candy. 

I think the favorite son clue made reference to a politician in the 60s, so I guess they were looking for what he was called back then. But if it were a more generic clue, I can see the judges giving her that also. Forgot about her answering before being called on. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, Carolyn, please close your mouth.  We are not a codfish.  Other than that, though, she reminds me a lot of Sara Gilbert from Roseanne.  But between that and Robert's bouncing, I really wanted former champ to win again.  Alas.

FJ was another instaget for me -- I got it even before Alex finished reading the clue.  I also got Cobra, Comstock, and Romano a mano. 

Yes!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Sara Gilbert similarity.  For me, it was more of a cross between Sara Gilbert and Jodie Foster.  For that and because of other reasons (only based on my perception), I was rooting for Carolyn.  

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

At first, I was going to say they didn't give it to her.  But  now I see from other replies, they gave it to her after the fact.  I must have been fast-forwarding through commercials and missed the correction as the show came back on.  Odd, I wouldn't have given it to her either, even though I was hoping she would win.

I hope she does well.

• Love 2

Yes they corrected it after the commercial, told her before her interview. 

I sometimes skip those too if I am watching it taped. 

But it was only $400.  Don't think it made a difference one way or another in the end result

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 1

I knew Farnsworth because of Futurama - they named Professor Farnsworth after him.  

I am an 80s girl through and through and have zero recollection of a safari craze.

My memories of the safari craze was that is was in basically in a lot of fashion magazines but that's it. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Did he keep the outcome secret from you? In any case, good luck to him! I'll try not to nitpick his demeanor. :D

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

So deceiving to learn she was a "candy maker", but it was salt water taffy she made.  Augghhh.......the worst of all "candy".  Barely qualifies as candy. 

ITA. I'm always surprised at the popularity of it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Yes!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Sara Gilbert similarity.  For me, it was more of a cross between Sara Gilbert and Jodie Foster.  For that and because of other reasons (only based on my perception), I was rooting for Carolyn.  

I couldn't see that Carolyn Codfish resembled anyone since her gaping open maw of a mouth blocked her entire face from my view.

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

So deceiving to learn she was a "candy maker", but it was salt water taffy she made. 

My BIG MONEY! BIG MONEY! (oops, that's another game show) is on Carolyn worked in one of those taffy-making wagons at the county fair. You've seen them, they have big paddles that turn the gigantic masses of taffy for everyone to see. Then the taffy is run through a machine that clips and wraps the pieces, which are then sold by the bag. Fresh taffy. Yum. (ugh) Those concessions hire pretty much anyone to run them during fair season.

Thanks for the tip so we can be kind to Tom, Wild Sow.

ETA: I just went to look at players for today on the J site. I looked earlier this week to see who was coming up. I liked Tom, he looked interesting and fun so was looking forward to seeing him "IRL" today. Plus: bow tie = score in my book.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

In the 80s, I had a very cool khaki shirt dress that I belted with a wide leather belt, and wore a leopard print scarf.  That's as close to fashion as I've ever gotten.  I was also 40 pounds lighter so could carry it off.  My favorite candy bar as a kid was Heath and I still love them.  And Baby Ruths.  I thought everyone knew the Baby Ruth was not named after Babe Ruth story.

• Love 3

For those who might know: Do they tape more than one version of the interviews? Some days, like yesterday, they take forever to tell their cute little story. I mean, how much can you say about taffy? But then Robert just went on and on about his party. And it was a good story, but the way he told it: “You see, Alex, it’s two parties, one was my birthday and the other was my bachelor party and my husband—well, soon-to-be husband, he called my friends and my mom and my dad and the dog walker and they all contributed by doing different video clues because they couldn’t be there and it was quite the production...”

I don’t remember Jen’s story but it was like “Yeah, I went to Iceland and had a good time. I would say more, but Robert hogged all the time, didn’t he?”

I think the best interviews are somewhere in between.  With maybe one prompt/additional question from Alex. Not the chat-fest he had with taffy girl.

It just doesn’t seem like they would risk not revealing clues because the interviews got out of hand. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Not too hot of a night because someone, who doesn’t know The Rules, called me right after I got the TS bonehouse. I was slaying that category. I did beg off in time to get Norway and did get FJ. It was my Moms favorite candy. 

I didn’t see Roberts “bouncing” but I did think he was a bit too enthusiastic and clapped fast and long. Neat on his bachelor party. It probably was fun. 

I did like Carolyn’s necklace with the O-ring that had  a bunch of charms hanging from it but wasn’t overly happy to see her win. She has weird head movements. 

Considering I'm 65 years old and nothing is working quite like it used to I can't imagine what a young persons ears felt like, and turning down volume loses the other players.  Two things I wonder about.....are ratings slipping and 1. do they think the shenanigans will attract younger viewers?  2.  do they think the older faithful viewers can't hear?

I don't remember (among many other things) how long I've been watching Jeopardy but.....for as long as I can remember lol.  Tonight since someone seems to have a relative but after that......well.....I'm in decent health but not in the mood to waste any of the half hours I have left on something that irritates and frustrates me (especially since I used to love it) when I don't have to.

(but the forum is always fun....lately more than the show)

d

• Love 5

Is it just me, or do they rock at getting the air dates on these episodes almost spot on with certain events?

Yesterday's FJ answer was about Baby Ruth/Babe Ruth.  Now, I just find out today is Babe Ruth day.  https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-babe-ruth-day-april-27/

I mean, considering some shows get pre-empted due to breaking news or sporting events, I find it awesome that they get the air dates so close to holidays and events that coincide with some of the questions.  

• Love 3
On 4/25/2018 at 4:29 PM, opus said:

I think Jen had my most favorite interview story ever.

Mine too.

On 4/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, Conotocarious said:

How in the world did none of them get Pride and Prejudice. They should have all lost for that alone.

This lit major HATED Austin and couldn't identify a specific book if her life depended on it (go ahead, throw things at me). On the other hand, I did recognize that it was an Austin storyline

22 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm a woman and used to use them on my two classic sports cars.  They're used to protect the paint from chipping.

You mean they're not used to hold up sagging headlights?

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, Carolyn, please close your mouth.  We are not a codfish.  Other than that, though, she reminds me a lot of Sara Gilbert from Roseanne.  But between that and Robert's bouncing, I really wanted former champ to win again.  Alas.

Me too. I do think someone told her to tone it down after the break, because she wasn't as wildly open mouthed for most of the rest of the show. Until she got excited.

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Only Necco wafers rank worse in my book.

Totally missed that they gave her Computer Graphics - that's just bullcrap.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

But it was only $400.  Don't think it made a difference one way or another in the end result

It's technically possible, but a few things would have needed to happen. Jen had $5,200 going into FJ and Carolyn had $10,600. If you subtract the $400, she's at $10,200. Carolyn at least has to bet to prevent from coming in third.  Both Robert and Carolyn answer incorrectly and had Jen gone all in, she's the repeat champ. That's presuming everything else played out the same and there was still a round and a half left at that point.  

3 minutes ago, deemac said:

Two things I wonder about.....are ratings slipping and 1. do they think the shenanigans will attract younger viewers?  2.  do they think the older faithful viewers can't hear?

Unfortunately, it does seem that said shenanigans are attracting additional viewers. Jeopardy! hit a season ratings high when Austin was there. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I find it awesome that they get the air dates so close to holidays and events that coincide with some of the questions.

Yes, that's been happening on a regular basis lately. I'll bet the writers look up special days and make clues specifically about them so they stay "timely" and "amaze" online posters. Like us! Of course they know when each taping will be shown, except when Trebek goes and gets sick, which throws everything off schedule.

4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Only Necco wafers rank worse in my book.

Necco is rumored to be closing! People are panicking and willing to pay thousands of dollars to stores for their stash of those nasty wafers. Joke is, if people had been buying them all along, the company wouldn't have to stop making them. Here's the story.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

This lit major HATED Austin and couldn't identify a specific book if her life depended on it (go ahead, throw things at me). On the other hand, I did recognize that it was an Austin storyline

You did mean Jane Austen, right?  I've read very little Austen.  Too little time!  Although reading more of them is on my bucket list.

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, saber5055 said:

I like to think those were named about Robert and not Lighthorse Harry.

I miss one Jeopardy! and they have a clue about Lighthorse Harry - damn!  And Charles Carroll of Carrollton.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1