Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, SHD said:

Who is the Lewis that two people guessed? Is that a logical miss and I just don't get what their thought process was?

Likely the Lewis and Clark expedition, 1804-6.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, SHD said:

I'm sure it has never happened before where two days in a row I know FJ and none of the contestants did. None of them has heard the Hamilton soundtrack?

Who is the Lewis that two people guessed? Is that a logical miss and I just don't get what their thought process was?

New champ seems sharp, but he kept picking a clue and then quickly looking down. Maybe just nerves.

Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark. Their expedition started in 1804, so it was a pretty good guess. He doesn't seem to have been married, though.

I liked the new champ, too. He was smart and fast on the clues, and did not seem to have too many annoying mannerisms.

• Love 5
(edited)

Josh is a little loud, but I was impressed with his knowledge base. Jeopardy contestants need to see, or at least hear the soundtrack to, Hamilton. I saw it with the original cast, and it was fantastic. 

Obviously I had FJ in an instaget. I also had Wanted Dead or Alive. I didn't have any other TS today. 

It was a good game overall. 

ETA I laughed so hard at Josh's story. One of my dream interview stories if I ever make the show is when I won a half marathon while in Army Advanced Individualized Training. It was funny because I didnt even know I was in contention. I was just running and chatting with a buddy and crossed a half step before she did. We were both shocked that I'd won. I was fit, but I was never really a runner. I think I earned a weekend pass, so I was relieved that my friend was gracious about it. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 11

One thing I thought was funny in tonight's game was that one of the responses was "mesothelioma." There are so many ads for that ("If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma you may to be entitled to financial compensation. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer linked to asbestos exposure.... ) that it's become a meme. There are often ads for it during Jeopardy. Cheeky writers!

• Love 17
(edited)

Josh needs to use his indoor voice.  He was very knowledgeable, however, the picking the first clue in every category thing bugged me.  I did like his story.

I hated the nasty crack Alex made about Geoff's previous day's winnings.  "Yesterday's contestants were so bad that this guy pulled out a win with a really crappy total."  STFU!

The only TS I got was Wanted Dead or Alive.

For FJ I said "either Lewis or Clark" as I figured it was someone about to set off on a dangerous expedition.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 8

I knew too and Aaron Burr always makes me think of this classic Got Milk commercial. 

58 minutes ago, teebax said:

Jeopardy contestants need to see, or at least hear the soundtrack to, Hamilton. I saw it with the original cast, and it was fantastic.

I've heard the soundtrack and it's awesome, but seeing it is a little out of my price range at this point. 

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

One thing I thought was funny in tonight's game was that one of the responses was "mesothelioma." There are so many ads for that ("If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma you may to be entitled to financial compensation. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer linked to asbestos exposure.... ) that it's become a meme. There are often ads for it during Jeopardy. Cheeky writers!

I recited the ads too. :) 

• Love 7

In yesterday's show there was an answer of "what is a bloody mary" and the clue had the ingredients, including "worcester" sauce. Because of antenna troubles, I didn't hear the clue read. Can anyone enlighten me on how Trebek pronounced worcester?

Today was wind free so I got to see the entire show. I liked how Geoff waved hello with his hula hips during his intro. And I understand Maksim Chmerkovskiy has called and asked him for salsa lessons based on his two-day DWTS Latin hips audition.

13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I hated the nasty crack Alex made about Geoff's previous day's winnings.  "Yesterday's contestants were so bad that this guy pulled out a win with a really crappy total."  STFU!

I big YES to this. The guy won $7,599 which in my world is a pretty good payday for an hour's work. I second that STFU. Just because you drop that much for lunch at Spago's doesn't mean the rest of us share your wealth Trebek, or your disdain for such a piddly sum.

New fun fact: Those pap-flash-resistant clothes. I watch TMZ and have never seen nor heard of them. Although I guess if they can't get the photo, they can't get on TMZ. So there's that.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Yeah, no kidding. Kit Lewis? Carson Lewis? Jerry Lewis? How about Lewis Carroll, C.S. Lewis, Edmonia Lewis, Lewis Howard Latimer, Lewis Powell, Lewis Cass, Lewis Morris. I guess that's enough since it was wrong anyway. But even if it were one of these Lewis people, those players needed to BMS.

2 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

"If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma ..."

Note: The above quote is Kathira's. Please, no one get mad that I did the copy from DrScottie's post. I just wanted to add that I've heard that commercial this way: "If you or a loved one has died from mesothelioma ..." which always made me wonder how I could call that number if I were dead.

This episode ended well IMO. Big YEAY to Josh, and Aloha Geoff as you hula yourself back home with your measly $7,599.

• Love 9

Studying up on Hamilton (the show and the guy) would have to be a really efficient thing to study for Jeopardy at this point -- at least one of the writers is clearly obsessed, because it still comes up all the time.

• Love 7

I am glad Josh beat Geoff, and I laughed out loud at Josh’s story, but I did wish he’d pick clues in order and not skip over the second clue in a category.  That bugged me.  

I only got the TS of Wanted Dead or Alive, and that was from the song.  I’ve never heard of the show.

I was clueless for FJ.  Guess I need to see or listen to Hamilton as well.  Thank you to everyone upthread who explained which Lewis all the contestants guessed.  When their responses were revealed, I said, “Lewis who?”

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget, since as soon as I read it, I heard Leslie Odom start singing “Dear Theodosia” in my head. (BTW, that man’s voice is like fine wine.). I can’t believe that none of them had ever heard the Hamilton soundtrack!

• Love 6

For me, FJ was an instaget from Theodosia.  Haven't seen Hamilton but hear Dear Theodosia on Sirius Broadway fairly often.  Also a few years ago, there was a novel about her.  Plus early American History would be a good category for me.  Odd that both the guys picked Lewis though although the year may have misdirected them.  

Also color me sad that Steve McQueen and Wanted Dead or Alive was a TS.  I feel old. ☹

• Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I only got the TS of Wanted Dead or Alive, and that was from the song.  I’ve never heard of the show.

Steve McQueen! My tv/movie boyfriend. I had such a crush. Plus Wanted Dead or Alive is another BW tv show that's on Antenna TV. You know, where you can practice your Roman numeral identification skills.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
(edited)

Only Alex would start the show by pointing out how paltry the champ’s winnings were.

A picture of Albert Einstein, seriously?  And the Braille clue as a DD?  What the hell has happened to this show?

I loved the huddled masses category, though, so once they got going on that one, I was less cranky.  I was pleased by the Asian capitals category, too; that’s the area of the world in which I’m weakest on capitals, but I ran it.  The Islamabad clue seemed a bit too easy for a DD, though.

Descartes was a surprising TS.  I think there was only one TS that also stumped me, but that’s the one I was surprised to see no one get.  

FJ was an instaget, but I don't think I'd have even known it had I not seen Hamilton.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

New fun fact: Those pap-flash-resistant clothes. I watch TMZ and have never seen nor heard of them.

I loved learning about this, too. I need to google to find out more.

I thought this was a really good game. Josh was impressive. Plus, he had a good story and told it well.

For FJ at first I just resigned myself to not knowing it. I figured 'Theodosia' was key to getting the answer and thought "Too bad I don't know who that is." But she sounded familiar, and suddenly it came to me. Yay. BTW, I haven't had the good fortune to see Hamilton, though I listened to the soundtrack once. Maybe it stuck with me. 

• Love 4

I ran the Huddled Masses and Asian Capitals categories and had a good day, in general.  Missed Aaron Burr, but had Louis Vuitton yesterday.

New champ buzzes in fast, answers fast, and picks clues fast.  I like that.  Dawdlers deny us clues (and they're always in my favored categories!).

• Love 3

And I understand Maksim Chmerkovskiy has called and asked him for salsa lessons based on his two-day DWTS Latin hips audition.

ROFL.

I haven't seen Hamilton, so Aaron Burr was a (good) guess -- yay, me. I clapped so hard I hurt my hands!

Mr. Author picked Lewis. We didn't know his first name, Saber5055, because it's always "Lewis & Clark." Even the Ken Burns film...

Anyway... Mr. Author and I have a bet going. The one who gets the most FJs buys the other dinner. So far this week he's gotten LV while I've gotten Poe and Burr. Hah!

(And this has nothing to do with anything, but I got a GREAT review today for my new book, due out this month, and I'm chuffed.) 

• Love 10

Good game! I really like Josh & was happy when he started using his inside voice, but he can stop jumping around. His story was funny, and that would be me. In a moot sort of way, anyway. 10k is my limit & I would never even make it to mile 10 much less 21. I liked Laura's necklace & she had almost perfect posture.

Only TS I got was Wanted Dead or Alive. FJ was a team effort - I had no idea, but when Dr. Toothbrush said either Hamilton or Burr, then I knew it was Aaron Burr (said with pb mouth, as always). My mind went to Lewis & Clark first like Josh & Geoff. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

II big YES to this. The guy won $7,599 which in my world is a pretty good payday for an hour's work. I second that STFU. Just because you drop that much for lunch at Spago's doesn't mean the rest of us share your wealth Trebek, or your disdain for such a piddly sum.

Right???? 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

A picture of Albert Einstein, seriously?  And the Braille clue as a DD?  What the hell has happened to this show?

These both got us too. Best wishes to your mom.

1 minute ago, Mystery Author said:

Mr. Author picked Lewis. We didn't know his first name, Saber5055, because it's always "Lewis & Clark." Even the Ken Burns film...

Anyway... Mr. Author and I have a bet going. The one who gets the most FJs buys the other dinner. So far this week he's gotten LV while I've gotten Poe and Burr. Hah!

(And this has nothing to do with anything, but I got a GREAT review today for my new book, due out this month, and I'm chuffed.) 

Merriweather Lewis & William Clark. How I know this is a mystery for the ages. 

Winner buys dinner? I would say I would get FJ wrong on purpose, but I think I am more competitive than I am cheap.

Congrats on the great review!! I am interested in reading your books; I love mysteries. I will have to search the thread for the clues regarding your identity ;-)

• Love 6

I'm not sure how I know Theodosia was Burr's daughter, but, coincidentally, I was eating peanut butter straight from the jar at the time, so it was no trick at all for me to try to yell out a garbled "Aaron Burr!"  (Yes, I am one of the few who have not seen nor heard "Hamilton," but have loved the "Got Milk?" commercial since first seeing it.)

• Love 12
(edited)
11 hours ago, irisheyes said:

FJ was an instaget, since as soon as I read it, I heard Leslie Odom start singing “Dear Theodosia” in my head. (BTW, that man’s voice is like fine wine.). I can’t believe that none of them had ever heard the Hamilton soundtrack!

I have heard some of the Hamilton soundtrack (and love Leslie Odom - it's not just his voice that's like fine wine), so Theodosia rang a bell - but that bell wasn't connected to Hamilton. :( We went with Lewis, since we thought (incorrectly as it turns out) that Clark was the one who killed himself (thinking that Lewis would have lived longer).

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Steve McQueen! My tv/movie boyfriend. I had such a crush. Plus Wanted Dead or Alive is another BW tv show that's on Antenna TV. You know, where you can practice your Roman numeral identification skills.

Hands off! He was MINE! And yet, I couldn't remember the movie. My brain was lagging, I didn't do all that well in any category.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought this was a really good game. Josh was impressive. Plus, he had a good story and told it well.

I love self-deprecating stories. That always endears people to me, and shows me they're not too full of themselves.

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I always remember Lewis' name - because Meriweather always struck me as funny, and it stuck with me. Clark's - no way.

Congrats on your review!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Studying up on Hamilton (the show and the guy) would have to be a really efficient thing to study for Jeopardy at this point -- at least one of the writers is clearly obsessed, because it still comes up all the time.

I know!  That was like the third Aaron Burr (Sir) question in the past few months. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Driad said:

Likely the Lewis and Clark expedition, 1804-6.

That's what I figured, but my guess was Clark as I knew Lewis wasn't married.

Burr wasn't even a thought in my mind.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I’ve not seen or heard anything from Hamilton either but I read the Ron Chernow book. I am addicted to biographies.

Have you read the Pulitzer Prize winning biography on Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg? It is fabulous. He had unprecedented access to Anne's letters and diaries and, of course, interviewed her. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I knew too and Aaron Burr always makes me think of this classic Got Milk commercial. 

YES!!  I said it that way when I answered and then wondered if Alex would do the same.  

I just Googled Meriweather Lewis.  It seemed to me those dates were too late for him to be correct and they were.  I remembered that he died by suicide.  Maybe that's what they were thinking when they answered, since he had written a letter.  Maybe they were thinking it was an earlier, comtemplative suicide note?

• Love 4

Josh’s story reminded me of my brother-in-law, who is also from the NLR area, who was in a marathon (he races in a wheelchair) and the race was called due to serious inclement weather. He refused to abandon the race and the police finally told him they would not be there to support him. Yeah, he finished the course in the pouring rain. I hadn’t thought about cars that might have wanted to use the road, I just thought he was stupid to be rolling in weather that included a tornado watch!

FJ: I thought about 1804 for about 2 seconds and said “Aaron Burr.” I’ve never seen Hamilton and have never heard the sound track. It just made sense. I’m sure that having the play so prominent nowadays didn’t hurt. Lewis and/or Clark? I don’t think they feared for their life at the start of their expedition. They were planning on writing many, many letters and reports on their journey and returning to “civilization” at the end. 

Pretty incredible that Josh had almost 30k and it was not a runaway. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Congratulations! And I love the word 'chuffed.' Every time I hear it in an English show I say I'm going to use it, but I never do. :(

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Have you read the Pulitzer Prize winning biography on Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg? It is fabulous. He had unprecedented access to Anne's letters and diaries and, of course, interviewed her. 

That sounds fabulous! Currently I have finished up biographies on Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci. I’ll put that one on my list! 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I hope you borrow money from Mr. Author when you win the FJ Challenge. And congrats on your great review. It's always nice to hear/read nice things. Good things are not easy to find/read these days. Mr. Author should buy you dinner just for that review!

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I always remember Lewis' name - because Meriwether always struck me as funny, and it stuck with me.

I always wondered if he was called Meri for short. I figure kids got bullied back then just as much if not more than they do today. Especially since his life did not end well. I still remember snotty snark that was thrown at me in grade school, and I'm way older than M. Lewis was when he died.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

coincidentally, I was eating peanut butter straight from the jar at the time, so it was no trick at all for me to try to yell out a garbled "Aaron Burr!"

This is too funny, plus such good timing, like me with my stash of Baby Ruth candy bars when that was FJ.

Aaron Burr was a clue or answer not too long ago since I remember our "Got Milk" discussion here. I agree that some clue writer has a preoccupation with Hamilton.

Edited by saber5055
Like a happy goat, there is no "a" in Meriwether.
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I’ve not seen or heard anything from Hamilton either but I read the Ron Chernow book. I am addicted to biographies.

I think that was the biography that gave Lin-Manual Miranda the idea for "Hamilton" the musical. Wasn't there mention on Jeopardy recently about a new bio by Chernow? Grant, maybe? or Andrew Jackson? 

I eat pb straight from the jar too. And Nutella. I also double dip - don't tell my kids!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I think that was the biography that gave Lin-Manual Miranda the idea for "Hamilton" the musical. Wasn't there mention on Jeopardy recently about a new bio by Chernow? Grant, maybe? or Andrew Jackson? 

I eat pb straight from the jar too. And Nutella. I also double dip - don't tell my kids!

It was Grant. An amazing book, btw.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Wasn't there mention on Jeopardy recently about a new bio by Chernow?

Wasn't Chernow the answer and it was a TS? Don't trust me for remembering exactly, I can barely remember my name lately.

About yesterday's FJ: We knew the answer had to be a man, otherwise the category would be 19th Century American WOMEN. Right?

Edited by saber5055
Because I can't keep my centuries straight.
  • Love 6

I had never heard of the Mameluke (Mamluk) army. But it made me think of Marmaduke, which illustrates where my brain is.

Got a kick out of there being a photo of a carhop, even though that was Before Your Time everyone.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wasn't Chernow the answer and it was a TS? Don't trust me for remembering exactly, I can barely remember my name lately.

About yesterday's FJ: We knew the answer had to be a man, otherwise the category would be 19th Century American WOMEN. Right?

Yes to both! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Got a kick out of there being a photo of a carhop, even though that was Before Your Time everyone.

Doesn't Sonic Drive-In have carhops?  I've never eaten at one, but for some reason, I thought they had carhops.  On skates, even.

• Love 4
Just now, Browncoat said:

Doesn't Sonic Drive-In have carhops?  I've never eaten at one, but for some reason, I thought they had carhops.  On skates, even.

Yes to both! (TM Toothbrush) And Sonic currently has half-price shakes, floats and ice-cream slushes after 8 p.m. Not that I know anything about that.

• Love 7

I feel like an idiot for not getting FJ tonight!  I got fixated on Thanksgiving, and just couldn't place anything in November.  I knew it would be a forehead slapper when the correct response was revealed, and it was.  My only saving grace is that none of the three contestants got it, either.  Duh.

Middle girl should have had a BMS for marathon -- which marathon?  Boston?  New York? The local one here?  The Kit Carson Memorial Marathon?  It isn't like there's only one marathon.

TS I did get (which also make me feel marginally better about whiffing FJ), were pallid; moors; Emerson, Lake and Palmer; and tartar sauce.

• Love 12

For FJ I thought Paris first, tried to think of a movie title, came up with "We'll Always Have Paris," and realized the answer was Casablanca.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

For FJ I thought Paris first, tried to think of a movie title, came up with "We'll Always Have Paris," and realized the answer was Casablanca.

Excellent thought process!  Wish I'd thought of that...  :)  Yep, still kicking myself for missing it.  It's one of my favorite movies!

• Love 5

That Emancipation Proclamation DD as a last question in a category was way too easy. I'm not too proud to say that if I'm getting a lot of the answers, they are dumbing the show down too much.

The champ is super impressive. He kind of reminds me of the Richard character on Veep.

25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Middle girl should have had a BMS for marathon -- which marathon?  Boston?  New York? The local one here?  The Kit Carson Memorial Marathon?  It isn't like there's only one marathon.

TS I did get (which also make me feel marginally better about whiffing FJ), were pallid; moors; Emerson, Lake and Palmer; and tartar sauce.

All of this! I didn't get moors but the rest were also my TS ones for the day.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Likewise, when revealing the FJ answer, Alex said something like, "I'm sure you've all seen this film" instead of "Before Your Time." I confess my mind went to more recent war movies, but I couldn't think of one whose title fit.

• Love 2

Josh is a force of nature.  He almost looks like he's meditating/praying or reading answers he's written on his hand when he looks down.

I got Pauly, moors, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and tartar sauce.

I was beyond clueless for FJ.  I just stared at the clue like a moron.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, ABay said:

I didn't know Casablanca had been liberated.

I didn't either, and that movie wouldn't come into my mind as the answer if I went through a movie catalog every day for the next decade. My answer was Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima, although I knew it was wrong because it did not premier on Thanksgiving. Which I thought was a really odd part of the clue. I've seen Casablanca more times than I can count, but never knew it opened in NYC on Thanksgiving. WTH with FJ being obscure all of a sudden. Especially because of this:

35 minutes ago, SHD said:

That Emancipation Proclamation DD as a last question in a category was way too easy. I'm not too proud to say that if I'm getting a lot of the answers, they are dumbing the show down too much.

Yeah, no kidding. Me too.

33 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Likewise, when revealing the FJ answer, Alex said something like, "I'm sure you've all seen this film" instead of "Before Your Time."

That's so whack. It's like "assuming" everyone knows what Rosebud is.

Because my tv was cutting out again (force of nature), I saw the picture of the moors and said "moors." I didn't hear the clue or know it was a TS. So do I get extra points for that? I also got tartar sauce. And I don't even like tartar sauce.

25 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Josh is a force of nature.  He almost looks like he's meditating/praying or reading answers he's written on his hand when he looks down.

Yes to the Power of Josh. I like him fine, although because of comments here about him looking down, I noticed it today and when I watched yesterday's show online (because weather/tornado reports preempted most of DJ). Too funny if he has hidden answers on his hand. At least Trebek gave him respect for his $ win from yesterday, unlike the snark he threw at Geoff.

• Love 9
(edited)

I refuse to jinx Josh by saying that I really like him.  

So.........

I don't like him.  At all.  Not even a little bit.  Get off my screen!!

There, that should do the trick.  ;-)

Tonight I got Pauly, Affleck/Damon, and tartar sauce.  Emancipation Proclamation was such a ridiculous DD that it actually pissed me off.  

No clue for FJ, and it was one of those that I felt I really should know.

Add me to the list that wants to smack Trebek when he makes light of people who only win a paltry sum not up to his standards.  Ass!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 10
(edited)

Alex is on RuPaul tonight!  I loved that the writers used the phrase prog rock.  It’s so British, like chuffed.  I totally blanked on FJ!

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 3
(edited)

I got Damon and Affleck, remoulade, EL&P, and Tartar sauce. I missed FJ. Dang. My mind was focused because I try to guess the answer before I even see the question and I was thinking of Apocalypse Now (especially Duvall’s line about loving the smell of Napalm in the morning...I know...) 

Edited to add: I got the moors clue too. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3

FJ was an instaget. As a main plot point in the movie was that the city was under Nazi/Vichy occupation, it was really no different than Paris in that respect. I think I actually did know that fact about the NY opening as well.

Was surprised none of them got it - I would have thought at least one of them would.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I refuse to jinx Josh by saying that I really like him.  

So.........

I don't like him.  At all.  Not even a little bit.  Get off my screen!!

There, that should do the trick.  ;-)

Yeah! He's a doody-head and ucky. 

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Alex is on RuPaul tonight!  

Really? When I search, it doesn't show it's on tonight. I'll have to look more.

The TSs I got tonight were butterfly and Pauley (Walnuts).

I didn't get FJ. The only film that came to mind was Dunkirk, but I knew that wasn't correct since Dunkirk wasn't liberated.

ETA: It doesn't look like RuPaul's Drag Race is on tonight for me. :( There's a bunch of movies on VH1 tonight. Oh well. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4