Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thanks to those who cleared up yesterday’s “second place/third place” confusion.

Great game tonight! I love close scores going into FJ. I got Madrigal, gneiss, and Saint Joan. I thought of “impugn” instead of “ malign,” but the online thesaurus lists them as synonyms, so I think it would have been accepted. 

I picked the Rolling Stones for FJ. But I would have protested the Beatles answer. “Eight Days a Week” is not about a heavy workload. It’s a love song!

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

"Sixteen Tons" came immediately to mind when I saw the clue.

I thought about that, too, after I wrote down the Beatles, but couldn't come up with another Tennessee Ernie song.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

But I would have protested the Beatles answer. “Eight Days a Week” is not about a heavy workload. It’s a love song!

Maybe being in love is hard work for Mr. Suck It Trebeck.  Or the clue writers are too young to remember that!I

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Johnny must have way overthought FJ tonight -- can't blame him there.  The Beatles seemed way way too obvious, but I went with them anyway since I couldn't think of anyone else who fit the clue.  Not that it matters, since I'm glad to see him gone. 

He may have done what I did, come up with Beast of Burden and get stuck.  I said the Rolling Stones as well.  (Didn't help that I'm not much of a Beatles fan.)

17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

About too young to remember ... I was trying to think of Tennessee Ernie Ford's backup band's name (hint: he didn't have one) for FJ as "Sixteen Tons" came immediately to mind when I saw the clue. Problem is, that was a hit in 1955, but you guys are "TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER" that tune.

As I posted yesterday, I'm back on my roll of tanking FJ. I predict it will happen again tomorrow.

I was hung up on this song--my dad claims it should be America's national anthem because it reflects reality for so many people.  Once I got it in my head, I couldn't get it out, even though I knew it was wrong--it's not by a group, for one thing!  I just couldn't get past it to think of other songs taht might fit.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

It's the only book I returned to the library after only reading -- and hating -- the first few pages.

I love the books, and they are actually the only audio books I've listened to as well.  They are slow paced and more about people and life than about the mysteries, but I love them.  They are also a great tourist advertisement for Botswana, IMO, because they are full of love for the country. 18 novels and counting.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I love the books, and they are actually the only audio books I've listened to as well.

It actually was the audio book I ejected from my CD drive and immediately returned to the library, I hated it so much. "And now you know."

• Love 1

I am a Beatles fan and yet 16 tons came up as my first thought too!  I gave up too easily when I couldn't think of another Tennessee Ernie Ford song.

I told you Johnny was not too long for the role as "champion".  The new guy has some weird facial expressions though.

• Love 6

That’s a really good point that “Eight Days a Week” is a love song. Does anyone remember how the question was worded?  Because i think that makes it an errant question.  Not that it matters for any of the contestants tonight.  I got “Chain Gang” in my head and couldn’t go on from there!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Mindthinkr, tell me you got "show jumping."

I overthought it. I was thinking Grand Prix, Rolex Cup, Spruce Meadows, FEI...all show jumping events but dang. I’m happy for you that you got it. When I heard the answer I immediately thought of you. 

I did ok tonight. Didn’t want to be too good as it was the boyfriends bday...out loud anyway. 

• Love 3

I have a CD with Robert Reich (former Labor Secretary) singing "Chain Gang." It's hilarious. Also, although it doesn't really fit the clue, Merle Travis wrote "Sixteen Tons" and he also wrote "Dark as a Dungeon" - another one about coal mining. But, of course, they weren't #1 hits for him nor was he a band. LOL.

Has anyone else thought AT's hair's looking unusual? I'm wondering if we're post-brain surgery and that might be a rug he's wearing.  Anyone know?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was my dream category.  Not only was it an instaget but I had time to write down the answer and both song titles.  As for the "too young to remember" comment , suck it Trebeck!

Mine too.  They should have asked for the song titles, not the artist.  For what it's worth, I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan...had a huge crush on George.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I picked the Rolling Stones for FJ. But I would have protested the Beatles answer. “Eight Days a Week” is not about a heavy workload. It’s a love song!

50 minutes ago, ErinV said:

That’s a really good point that “Eight Days a Week” is a love song. Does anyone remember how the question was worded?  Because i think that makes it an errant question.  Not that it matters for any of the contestants tonight.  I got “Chain Gang” in my head and couldn’t go on from there!

As per Wikipedia, the song relates to being overworked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Days_a_Week

This is what I always thought of for the name of the song, but I didn't know the details until I Wikipedia'd it. Because, you know, Wikipedia is never wrong.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, whinewithwine said:

Mine too.  They should have asked for the song titles, not the artist.  For what it's worth, I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan...had a huge crush on George.

I watched them on Ed Sullivan, too.  I had, and still have, a crush on Paul.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I overthought it. I was thinking Grand Prix, Rolex Cup, Spruce Meadows, FEI

My first thought was "stadium jumping," then realized the category was "show." It helps to pay attention to the category!

9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Didn’t want to be too good as it was the boyfriends bday

You are so nice. That's very sweet of you. Kick his ass tomorrow though.

3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has anyone else thought AT's hair's looking unusual?

Now I have to pay attention to that tomorrow. I thought it looked more poofy than usual, but I don't typically look much at him.

Here are the lyrics to Eight Days a Week. Someone point out how this is a song about being overworked (unless they mean overworked in bed).

Ooh I need your love babe,
Guess you know it's true.
Hope you need my love babe,
Just like I need you.
Hold me, love me, hold me, love me.
Ain't got nothin' but love babe,
Eight days a week.

Love you ev'ry day girl,
Always on my mind.
One thing I can say girl,
Love you all the time.
Hold me, love me, hold me, love me.
Ain't got nothin' but love babe,
Eight days a week.

• Love 8

A "You're too young to remember," a "hel-lo" style reaction to wagering, AND a "boo hiss" in one game?  That's too much to ask of me, Alex.

When the FJ category came up, I said I'd bet huge, but when the clue was revealed I got a little nervous that I'd lose all my imaginary money.  I don't like The Beatles, but after a couple of moments Eight Days a Week came to me, and then it was a quick trip to Hard Day's Night and I knew I had it.

The clues about indoor farming were easy - I answered several of them halfway through the clue - but they had nothing on the Blank Expressions category.  Holy crap, that was ridiculous!

• Love 7

Now that I read the clue again, I can see where the clue writers were coming from. It said, “Complaints about being overworked inspired the titles of 2 songs by this group...” So the title “Eight Days a Week” was inspired by a complaint of overwork, though not the actual song. Trick question!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Audubon - really, can you make things any easier?

The bird painting could have been signed Audubon. So yeah, it could have been easier.

That Ore-Ida map always comes to my mind when I think of clues being ridiculously easy.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The clues about indoor farming were easy - I answered several of them halfway through the clue - but they had nothing on the Blank Expressions category.  Holy crap, that was ridiculous!

I agree and when I first realized that they were going to be the visiting someplace types of clues I thought “oh crap”.  Long clues so the categories won’t get finished (board cleared). 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

So the title “Eight Days a Week” was inspired by a complaint of overwork, though not the actual song. Trick question!

I call BS on that. The lyrics clearly state the person's love lasts eight days a week. Nowhere anywhere does it refer to being overworked. It could be they ate pizza eight days a week, or liked to sleep eight days a week or saw movies eight days a week. Why is it about overwork? I don't get it.

I could eat ice cream eight days a week. (In fact, I do.)

I think the clue writers sucked pond water on that FJ. Yeah, I know ... what's new.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Complaint: Sylvester's canary foe is named Tweety PIE, not Tweety BIRD. Damned judges.

I didn't even notice that! You're right. Damned judges.

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I don't think I've ever heard the word 'chifferobe' outside of TKAM!

I've only heard it from TKAM and Jeopardy. :D

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I love the books, and they are actually the only audio books I've listened to as well.  They are slow paced and more about people and life than about the mysteries, but I love them.  They are also a great tourist advertisement for Botswana, IMO, because they are full of love for the country. 18 novels and counting.

I so agree. I just find them so lovely and the characters warm, human, and complicated. I was disappointed in the TV series, though of course I wanted more.

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has anyone else thought AT's hair's looking unusual? I'm wondering if we're post-brain surgery and that might be a rug he's wearing.  Anyone know?

I didn't notice his hair. I'll have to check it out.

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My first thought was "stadium jumping," then realized the category was "show." It helps to pay attention to the category!

Doh! The only thing that came to mind was steeplechase, which is one word, not two, and of course doesn't mention 'show.' Too often I fail to remember the category title.

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A "You're too young to remember," a "hel-lo" style reaction to wagering, AND a "boo hiss" in one game?  That's too much to ask of me, Alex.

We could have all gotten drunk if we played "Take a drink when..."

but they had nothing on the Blank Expressions category.  Holy crap, that was ridiculous!

Geez, I know! There are often very easy clues on the show, but for some reason these really stood out to me as being insultingly simple.

For TSs, I got Saint and The Pope of Greenwich Village.

I didn't get FJ. The first song that popped into my head was 'Working in a Coal Mine.'  I was straining to remember the group. I wondered if it was The Animals... The Zombies.... I couldn't figure it out -- not even bothering to come up with the second song -- and I puzzled over why Jeopardy would have an unusually difficult FJ. (Googling, I see it wasn't a group, but Lee Dorsey.)

I wonder why the new champ has his name on the podium as 'Dimitri' when his name is Robert Dimitri.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Wasn't it though?  That had to be a record for easiest questions ever -- ever.

For FJ, all I could come up with was "Gotta install these microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries" but I couldn't think of a second Dire Straits song involving work. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I think that record lies with the question that essentially asked what is the last word of the US national anthem. It was a (rather mortifying) TS.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

For FJ, all I could come up with was "Gotta install these microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries" but I couldn't think of a second Dire Straits song involving work. 

Tunnel of Love isn't about work?  Guess not.

• Love 2

I got stuck on "Working in the Coal Mine" - realized I have no idea who sang it in the 60s - and gave up :D And I was born over a decade after the 60s so neener neener AT. Like many have pointed out, popular "oldies" (rock/pop/r&b) music from the 60s and 70s was all over my childhood due to my parents. In fact, my dad, brother, and I tend to have group chats about Jeopardy (go go nerds), and my brother saw the category and said "Dad's category" and then my dad said "Oh hell yes!" when he saw the category. (He overthought it and got it wrong, but that's not the point!)

• Love 8

I don't know anyone who knows more about the Beatles than I do, and I've never heard that Eight Days a Week was inspired by someone complaining about being overworked. If that's true, it's an extremely obscure bit of trivia. Nothing in the lyrics remotely references overwork or fatigue. It's all about a love so big that a seven day week can't contain it. I suspect the contestants who answered "The Beatles" were taking a guess based on the group's popularity and success during the decade. The clue sucked. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I call BS on that. The lyrics clearly state the person's love lasts eight days a week. Nowhere anywhere does it refer to being overworked. It could be they ate pizza eight days a week, or liked to sleep eight days a week or saw movies eight days a week. Why is it about overwork? I don't get it.

26 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

I don't know anyone who knows more about the Beatles than I do, and I've never heard that Eight Days a Week was inspired by someone complaining about being overworked. If that's true, it's an extremely obscure bit of trivia. Nothing in the lyrics remotely references overwork or fatigue. It's all about a love so big that a seven day week can't contain it. I suspect the contestants who answered "The Beatles" were taking a guess based on the group's popularity and success during the decade. The clue sucked. 

Well the wikipedia entry linked above quotes two different stories that Paul McCartney has told about it being from an overworked chauffeur, so take it up with him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

I think the point may be that what inspired the song is so inside baseball that nobody except the Beatles and their inner circle or music journalists might know it.  I agree that it was a lousy clue, because it's not close to general knowledge.

• Love 7

I noticed AT's hair also, and agree we are starting to see post-op games.

All 3 contestants were fine at first, but then Katy started flipping her hair & adopted a girlish demeanor in DJ and I rooted against her after that. Glad her wagering sucked.  She reminded me of one of the cooks on America's Test Kitchen, whose name is Erin, IIRC. 

TS I got were Priest & The Pope of Greenwich Village. FJ was an instaget, and I even got the songs right. The Rolling Stones & The Beatles were the only 2 possible answers according to AT. When Dimitiri's answer of The Beatles was revealed after Johnny's answer of The Rolling Stones. he said, "you picked the other one". 

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

@Toothbrush, I live in the south, and still had to shovel a foot of disgusting, heavy, wet snow this past weekend!

We got snow twice this winter which is twice more than normal, but no shoveling was needed. We're starting to hit high temps in the high 70s-low 80s already. 

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bingo. Same here. I have Little Prince coasters and a tote too.  I inherited the book from my sister when she passed and I was 10. 

I love to do crossword puzzles too. All good mental gymnastics. 

I'm another crossword puzzle lover! I'm so sorry that you lost your sister at such a young age. 

4 hours ago, secnarf said:

I don't think I've ever heard the word 'chifferobe' outside of TKAM!

I've heard it, mostly said by people over 70. I live in the south so that may make a difference. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Drink!

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree and when I first realized that they were going to be the visiting someplace types of clues I thought “oh crap”.  Long clues so the categories won’t get finished (board cleared). 

At least they saved it till last. I also loved Johnny for moving away from the French names category as soon as he controlled the board. 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wonder why the new champ has his name on the podium as 'Dimitri' when his name is Robert Dimitri.

I wondered the same thing; maybe AT will ask him tomorrow. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think the point may be that what inspired the song is so inside baseball that nobody except the Beatles and their inner circle or music journalists might know it.  I agree that it was a lousy clue, because it's not close to general knowledge.

Maybe it's the opposite, that if you're a fan you have enough knowledge to talk yourself out of the right answer; I don't like The Beatles, so I knew nothing about the motivation and little about the lyrics of the two songs - the clue asked about a theme informing two titles, and those two song titles (having little more than that superficial knowledge) came to me pretty quickly as I went through '60s groups with multiple hits where the titles could fit the over-worked theme.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Maybe it's the opposite, that if you're a fan you have enough knowledge to talk yourself out of the right answer; I don't like The Beatles, so I knew nothing about the motivation and little about the lyrics of the two songs - the clue asked about a theme informing two titles, and those two song titles (having little more than that superficial knowledge) came to me pretty quickly as I went through '60s groups with multiple hits where the titles could fit the over-worked theme.

Same with me though I do like The Beatles but can't do any deep cuts but it was an IG for me based on the wording of the clue.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I am so glad the girl in the middle, I forget her name, lost last night

That has to be the WORST managed betting I have ever seen. 

I think two of the last 3, maybe 4, clues she chose, were  Daily Doubles, but barely bets anything. 

Then I think she got the last 2000 clue correct and the guy that was leading missed it, putting her in first.  Or maybe he just missed it, I don't recall.  But you get the point

AND she gets FJ correct........AND DOESN"T BET ENOUGH TO WIN!  Jesus, what more do yo you need to win?  It could not have been set up more perfect.  It was basically daily double , daily double, FJ, just right in a row at the end, all for her......and LOSESS!! 

Glad she lost.  Its bad enough to be in the lead, get FJ correct and lose.  Its annoying, but has happened to others.  But you add in the not one but TWO daily doubles for her, right at the end of the game, how do you lose that!

I was stuck on Taking care of business and BTO at the end, even though I think that is the 70s. 

Then I thought of Take this job and shove it, but I didn't know who sings it.  Turns out to be the appropriately named Johnny Paycheck.  But that was also the 70s. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Although "nether ye" isn't what one hopes it is.

No, it is not.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

About too young to remember ... I was trying to think of Tennessee Ernie Ford's backup band's name (hint: he didn't have one) for FJ as "Sixteen Tons" came immediately to mind when I saw the clue. Problem is, that was a hit in 1955, but you guys are "TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER" that tune.

It did come to my mind, my parents LOVED that song (and to be fair, so did I), and was played in our house well into the 70's. (not born...quite...when it was a hit).

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

That's what the mister said. I came up with Beatles because of that song, but only as a desperate guess.

• Love 3

Clue me in.  What kind of surgery did Alex have?

One of the questions in my weekend trivia bee was "what song did Sibelius write to protest the Russians?"  I could NOT come up with Finlandia, but if I was asked "who wrote Finlandia?," I could answer Sibelius.    One of the many nuggets picked up on Jeopardy!

• Love 3

I got the Beatles, although I hesitated thinking it was too easy. I quickly came up with Hard Day's Night, but couldn't come up with the other one. Probably because it isn't about hard work, LOL. What convinced me that it was the Beatles was the fact that it was 2 number 1 hits within 7 months. I don't think anyone else in that time frame could match that. When the category came up, I was afraid it was going to be that stupid "I'm Sorry" by Brenda Lee. It was the #1 hit the week I was born. I hate that drippy song and it always comes up for me in those "What was happening the year you were born" things.

• Love 6

Firstly, I also noticed Alex's hair.

Secondly, I also thought the writers were playing with my brain... way too easy, some of those clues - especially the 'blank' category. I mean, hey, I enjoy feeling schmarter than the average bear - and saying the answer before the full clue is revealed - but please don't spoon-feed me.

Thirdly, if any of you don't think love is hard work... well, I'll just leave it at that. (FJ was a gift IMO.)

• Love 4

I always thought that Eight Days A Week was about working hard.  My memory has it that Ringo said it about working so much they were working 8 days a week.  In fact, I think I heard it recently.  I wonder if its mentioned in the Ron Howard Documentary (just because I watched it not that long ago). 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Complaint: Sylvester's canary foe is named Tweety PIE, not Tweety BIRD. Damned judges.

I was ticked that they accepted Tweety Bird instead of the correct Tweety Pie.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Exactly. I looked up the reference in the voluminous Beatles Anthology, which I assume many fans like myself own, and true, Paul McCartney did claim that the song's title came from something a chauffeur said about being overworked. Remembering every bit of trivia detailed in the book would be a tall order, however, and the inspiration for "Eight Days a Week" in no way qualifies as general knowledge that a Jeopardy contestant could reasonably be expected to know. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

FJ was set in the 60s. It could even have been the Beach Boys, pre-Brit Invasion. No, Alex, there were not JUST two bands in the 60s that produced popular music.

For me, the first music I think about with the 60s is Motown, which is what my parents grew up listening to and was my first exposure to music. Alex is a tool, though, so there's nothing new about that.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Clue me in.  What kind of surgery did Alex have?

He had blood clots removed from his brain.

• Love 7

The fact that FJ was even mentioned here, other than "FJ was an instaget," plus that the FJ discussion and debate is still going on today tells me the clue AND answer sucked and the writers ... well, use your imagination as to my thoughts on the writers. (Hint: They SUCK too.)

If "songs being about work" had been omitted, none of this controversy would be going on. At least not to this extent.

And yeay, Beach Boys! I saw them in concerts, twice, once young, once old. I remember Beatles coming to Chicago, but gosh, the $3 ticket was pricey.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I always thought that Eight Days A Week was about working hard.   

Me too. I don't know where I heard that, but I think it was long long ago, maybe when that Beatles song came out. (NOT before my time, though I was a wee one.)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Glad she lost.  Its bad enough to be in the lead, get FJ correct and lose.  Its annoying, but has happened to others.  But you add in the not one but TWO daily doubles for her, right at the end of the game, how do you lose that!

This is what I meant about her playing like a girl and not owning her answers. She got all wussy like a girl isn't suppose to beat the boys, so let's flip our hair and be all giddy and don't bet too much money, that's not lady like. She was smart enough to get on this show, then tanked by not having confidence to bet and OWN her knowledge. I feel she threw the game just because girls aren't SUPPOSE to be smart or beat the boys.

She's my Seinfeld bizarro-world opposite.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Presumably it's the name he goes by.  I don't remember what I wrote, but I could've used "Jennifer" or "Jen".

8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This is what I meant about her playing like a girl and not owning her answers. She got all wussy like a girl isn't suppose to beat the boys, so let's flip our hair and be all giddy and don't bet too much money, that's not lady like. She was smart enough to get on this show, then tanked by not having confidence to bet and OWN her knowledge. I feel she threw the game just because girls aren't SUPPOSE to be smart or beat the boys.

She's my Seinfeld bizarro-world opposite.

I didn't get that impression from her at all.   She may simply have not had confidence in her knowledge of the category.  And that's a valid reason for not betting a lot.  I wouldn't have bet much, if anything, on a math or politics related FJ.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She may simply have not had confidence in her knowledge of the category.  And that's a valid reason for not betting a lot.  I wouldn't have bet much, if anything, on a math or politics related FJ.

Then stay out of that category when there is a full board. If you don't know ANY of the categories, then heaven help you.  That's when you can start flipping your hair and giggling and acting like a girl who's there because of Equal Opportunity, not brains.

I dated a guy once who went by his last name, so I'm guessing that's the deal with Dimitri. Waiting for your reservation in a crowded restaurant? There could be five Roberts, only one Dimitri (probably).

40 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't remember what I wrote, but I could've used "Jennifer" or "Jen".

Presumably not your last name though ...

• Love 4

NOT before my time, though I was a wee one.

Maybe we heard it on the playground :-)

I thought about you guys the other day - someone (and I can't remember who) mentioned Kit Carson! 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then stay out of that category when there is a full board. If you don't know ANY of the categories, then heaven help you.  That's when you can start flipping your hair and giggling and acting like a girl who's there because of Equal Opportunity, not brains.

I dated a guy once who went by his last name, so I'm guessing that's the deal with Dimitri. Waiting for your reservation in a crowded restaurant? There could be five Roberts, only one Dimitri (probably).

Presumably not your last name though ...

I was referring to her bet on FJ, but sooner or later you'd have to deal with any category on the board.  I didn't notice giggling or hair flipping but then I often don't see the various behaviors which tend to annoy other commenters here.  I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Katy.

Hmm, given how many Jennifers I've had to deal with over the years, just using my last name might've been better.  Although it is a fairly common last name where I live, so maybe not.

• Love 2