Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

As soon as I saw Frank, I knew he was going to annoy me, and told Dr. Toothbrush, "he's going to win, isn't he"? Although looks like Marty was going to go the route of Matt Jackson (Johnson?) from a couple of years ago and hold up fingers corresponding to his number of wins. That was nipped in the bud. That left Emily to root for, but then she had a meet cute story for her & her hubby, and laughed at Frank's shenanigans. 

Normally I hate long celebrity clues, but Dr. Toothbrush loves Jay Leno's Garage & was really enjoying them, so I couldn't be too upset. I just wish they would have skipped a category other than anagrams. At least they finished the word games category. 

Two To Kill a Mockingbird clues - Atticus' profession, and the opening line of the book. 

Got both of Marty's missed DD, and FJ was an instaget.

I only mind jumping around the board because I am a tad OCD, but I would definitely choose the higher value clues out of order as the rounds were winding down. 

21 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The hubby and I are so old that we knew right away it was the Beverly Hillbillies house :)  On a trip to LA, we even drove by it, like the tourists that we were :)

It was before my time, but still an instaget 

20 hours ago, PaulaO said:

No game today in Chicago.  A police commander was shot in the head downtown and that preempted Jeopardy!  Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

:-( 

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also liked his "Timber!" and "showgirl" answers, because that's how I hear them in my head, too, and may very well have delivered them that way.  And I fucking loved his tone of voice at knowing the Twilight clue; I feel the same way.  Other than that, though, yeah - he kind of bugged.

I sang showgirl & said timber just like Frank did, too, but I hope I wouldn't do it if I were on the show. Dr. Toothbrush didn't know Twilight, but had the same tone of voice for Beaches. He loathes that movie! 

13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I didn't think Frank was too bad. It's just that Austin's time on the show may have enabled the contestants to be more demonstrative. It is a delicate balance to be sure. I have no idea how I'd come across on national television, but I'm guessing I'd probably act like Frank as that's how I get when I'm nervous. I would hopefully more concerned about the game than being judged on mannerisms. 

I'd probably run through PTV's hall of shame of annoying behavior. But not on purpose, I swear! 

12 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I knew it was only a matter of time until we started having Austin-influenced contestants, just not this soon.   From the opening gesture, to the look-at-me attitude I was immediately tirned off...

There was always one here & there, but now it seems like it is all the freaking time! 

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'd do it just to entertain you all! I'd start with clues at the bottom of categories, jumping around of course. When selecting, I'd recite each category name word for word, slowly, adding, "please, Alex," at the end. I'd carefully scan the board before choosing. I'd pronounce "hundrit" and say "So" at the start of my interview with Alex, which of course would be boring and pointless but somehow a highlight of my life. My arm raised like the Statue of Liberty, my buzzer clenched tightly, I'd push the button frantically. Any time I could answer with an accent, I'd do it.

LMAO!! 

You must also write you name as Who Is Peeaybee?!?! 

• Love 7

Not even through the first round yet and I'm already super annoyed with Frank's guessing (STOP GUESSING, idiot) and I hated his anecdote about becoming a stand-up comic. "My parents told me 'if you're gonna be so funny, make money doing it.'" Yeah, my mom tells me I'm funny, too. 

Good god, Frank and Rob have some kind of weird bromance going on and Rob is acting like Frank and I am puking.

GOOD GOD, Frank buzzed in (!!!) to guess that the winners of the 2017 World Series were the DODGERS. Then claimed that he is not a baseball fan so he wouldn't know. Get him off my television, someone. Even you, Rob.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 16

Are you me, ClareWalks? I never post until the game is over, but came on here to vent my annoyance. You said it all for me. Frank also does not need to shrug elaborately when he doesn't want to answer. Just don't ring in, buddy. That's how this game works. Apparently it's all about Frank.

• Love 14

Good grief, that was painful. One reason the board hopping bothers me is because we rarely clear the boards when contestants do it. 

You ring in on a baseball question, get it wrong, and then feel the need to interject that you don't follow baseball?Fuck you very much, Frank. Good riddance. BTW, I suffered through Austin. I despised Austin. I rooted heartily against Austin. You, sir, are no Austin. You can't even be a douchebag properly.

(Sorry, boardies, but I hate when people make Jeopardy unpleasant to watch. Coming home after a long day of teaching the youth of our nation, turning on Jeopardy,  and pouring a drink while I play along are sacred rituals for me. If your antics take away from that pleasure, you're dead to me. Even you, Peeayebee!) 

Anyway, my gets were Salman Rushdie, Mikwaukee (duh), cauldron, Delores, and FJ as an instaget. 

I need another drink... 

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, teebax said:

You ring in on a baseball question, get it wrong, and then feel the need to interject that you don't follow baseball?Fuck you very much, Frank. Good riddance. BTW, I suffered through Austin. I despised Austin. I rooted heartily against Austin. You, sir, are no Austin. You can't even be a douchebag properly.

Anyway, my gets were Salman Rushdie, Mikwaukee (duh), cauldron, Delores, and FJ as an instaget. 

I didn't mind Frank much yesterday, but today he was insufferable. To echo everyone else so many stupid guesses. I'm glad he's gone.The Macarena was the obvious answer. Got the others plus Westinghouse. 

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Good god, Frank and Rob have some kind of weird bromance going on and Rob is acting like Frank and I am puking.

The problem with those performance artists / would be comedians is that they enable other contestants to act out too. I don't think Rob acts like that without Frank. We'll see tomorrow if that's the case. 

• Love 4

I enjoy this show so much more when two out of three contestants aren't bugging the living hell out of me. Cripes!!!

I got Rushdie, Milwaukee, and cauldron tonight.  

I guessed Lambada (lol!!!) for FJ.  I knew it wasn't right, movie not a song, but my ability to concentrate on this show is directly related to my level of annoyance with the contestants.  Okay, sometimes I just have no clue.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 5

I was rooting like crazy for Frank to keep guessing--the sooner to get him off my TV.  And for once it worked. He still didn't limbo back onto his head, though, which was my main disappointment.

I somehow pulled the Pritzker Prize out of my highly architectural ass.  I think one of my friends dated a Pritzker, so thanks to her for that.

Apropos of almost nothing, I really love being dumped into the hater category when I have a different opinion of something from someone else's.  It sends me (and my imaginary walker) careening back to middle school.

See ya, Frank.

• Love 7

Because of all the frank Frank comments here after yesterday's game, I made a point to watch today instead of just listen. Yeah, LOL at Frank's yoga-ish backbends off his box stand -- I know he's elevated since he's gotta be short. He was doing all sorts of contortions up there. And a stand-up comedian ... yeah, right. Good luck with that "making people laugh and getting paid" thing.

What was up with the handshaking before FJ? It was a runaway for Rob, but still, wait for the freaking END OF THE SHOW before you congratulate the winner (Cliff Clavin) Frank. Bromance indeed.

I wouldn't have been able to answer that clue except they showed Salman Rushdie's photo, which made that TS a no brainer. I can't believe none of the three recognized him. I mean, he was all the news after The Satanic Verses got his death warrant signed.

I would have answered "caldron" even if the Olympics weren't currently going on. There's an Olympic caldron lit every two years for pete's sake.

LOL at the stupid Wisconsin area code guess. I knew 414 is Milwaukee, just like 312 is Chicago, but I live here. Then again, if one is going to grab some Wisconsin city name out of thin air, Milwaukee is the no brainer choice. (Unless you are talking football, but that's a different category.)

FJ was easy peasy. I like Rob okay and glad he beat Frank. My hope is he becomes a "normal" player tomorrow, once the "paid comedian" is gone. Crossing fingers.

• Love 9

I'm so glad Frank is gone (I'm disappointed he didn't fall off his box behind the podium) but Rob doesn't seem much better - acting the fool and starting in the middle of categories and then generally having no clue.  Of course Erin lost because she wasn't a tool.

I got engineering, Salman Rushdie, home, Janus (DD), Milwaukee, cauldron, and Wenatchee.

FJ was an instaget.  I went to several weddings in the 90's and that stupid song was always a highlight at the reception - not!

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL at the stupid Wisconsin area code guess. I knew 414 is Milwaukee, just like 312 is Chicago, but I live here. Then again, if one is going to grab some Wisconsin city name out of thin air, Milwaukee is the no brainer choice. (Unless you are talking football, but that's a different category.)

I was born in Milwaukee and LOL'd at "Menomonie" as a guess. We have a lot of cities with those types of Native names: Pewaukee, Packwaukee, etc. Menomonie is one of the smallest and most obscure ones. Not to mention that it doesn't actually end in "ee." He was probably confusing Menomonie with Menomonee Falls. Either way, the first clue in a category is going to be EASY, not some obscure small Wisconsin town, and now I am even more annoyed with Frank than I was before, LOL ;)

• Love 5

Hey Clare, I totally forgot the Wisconsin 414 area code was in the "Ends in EE" category. I wasn't paying attention to the category, I just knew the area code. Maybe Frank was thinking that city is spelled Milwaukey. I refuse to give him credit for even knowing Menomonee Falls.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, suedehead said:

Missed last night's game. Just stopping by to see if anyone else thought Frank was annoying as hell. 

He wasn't as awful last night. Tonight, he tried for full Austin. Never go full Austin!

• Love 6

OK, I take back my suggestion that Frank could be on the autism spectrum. He doesn't get that excuse - he was just a full-on annoying jerk. I'm not usually this happy when contestants lose, but he was pretty close to intolerable. So much that I forgot to make note of any TS's I got. I did get the FJ though.

• Love 8

Thank goodness Frank is out. I couldn’t take him, his crossed arms and his leaning another day. I kept hoping he’d fall over. 

Rob was a category hopper and he’d go straight to the big dollar amounts, but it actually helped him build up a big lead to get ahead of Frank, so I’ll give him a pass. 

Got cauldron, Gamaliel, Janus (DD). FJ was an instaget today.

Still wished they’d have cleared the boards, though. Lots of leftover clues today. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

OK, I take back my suggestion that Frank could be on the autism spectrum. He doesn't get that excuse - he was just a full-on annoying jerk. I'm not usually this happy when contestants lose, but he was pretty close to intolerable. So much that I forgot to make note of any TS's I got. I did get the FJ though.

Maybe he's on the Austism spectrum (get it--Austin? Austistic?).  If it weren't disrespectful to people with actual autism, that's how I'd refer to all these clown types.  But it is, so I won't.

• Love 6

FJ was an instaget, and now I have that gods-awful song in my head.  Rob doing part of the dance was amusing.

Frank was really hamming it up tonight.  I liked the way he answered “Forrest Gump” and his “makes more sense” after Milwaukee was revealed, but otherwise his antics fell totally flat with me.  There were an abundance of wrong answers tonight, it seemed, and several of his were pretty damn dumb - gasoline as the energy source in the Edison category, Spokane in a category requiring a double E, and Ouija board instead of the Magic 8 Ball (that last one he seemed to have realized was a total brain fart).  But I did like him immediately congratulating his competitor for securing a runaway.  (Although, of course he did so via fist bump while Erin did so via handshake.)

The Inca instead of the Aztecs was a stupid guess from Erin, too, to be fair.

I got Westinghouse, Rushdie, Rabbit Run (surprised none of the other two realized he’d just added an S), Milwaukee, and probability.  I, too, got tripped up with torch/cauldron, though - I couldn't come up with the word.

I had no idea what the end of a shoelace was called; thanks, J!

• Love 4

I was born in Milwaukee and LOL'd at "Menomonie" as a guess. We have a lot of cities with those types of Native names: Pewaukee, Packwaukee, etc. Menomonie is one of the smallest and most obscure ones. Not to mention that it doesn't actually end in "ee." He was probably confusing Menomonie with Menomonee Falls. Either way, the first clue in a category is going to be EASY, not some obscure small Wisconsin town, and now I am even more annoyed with Frank than I was before, LOL ;)

But there's also the Menominee tribe/reservation/county/small town in northern WI. For people who are interested in certain topics, it's not obscure. In fact, I was questioning your spelling (I know, I shouldn't kneejerk that!) and find it interesting/confusing that there's a Menomonie and a Menominee!

• Love 3

I liked Rob and think he'll be fine without that fool Frank in the room.

The biggest problem I have with the comparisons to Austin is that Austin actually got the answers right. As an unapologetic member of Team Austin so I'm going to draw a distinction between charming eccentricity and cloying parody. I realize I'm now dead to some of you.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The biggest problem I have with the comparisons to Austin is that Austin actually got the answers right. As an unapologetic member of Team Austin so I'm going to draw a distinction between charming eccentricity and cloying parody. I realize I'm now dead to some of you.

I will quietly admit to liking Austin as well, but man oh man I was glad to see Frank lose today. I didn't think he was so awful yesterday, but today he got on my last nerve. He definitely seemed like an Austin wannabe, but Austin was a really good player and didn't constantly buzz in with bad guesses -- this episode may have set a record for most wrong answers. Also, did anyone else notice that BOTH Frank and Rob drew smiley faces alongside their names?!

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

FJ was an instaget.

Exactly. Frank was no Austin to me, whether or not I liked Austin. 

The only people dead to me are those who would call someone a hater because they have a different opinion. So you and I are cool.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL at Frank's yoga-ish backbends off his box stand

There was one time when he was leaning way over toward Rob. The camera was on Rob as he picked, and he (Rob) seemed a bit distracted by Frank leaning over so far.

I would have answered "caldron" even if the Olympics weren't currently going on. There's an Olympic caldron lit every two years for pete's sake.

I couldn't pull that word out of my brain.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had no idea what the end of a shoelace was called; thanks, J!

Way back in the 70's (I was a teenager) I wrote to an LA Times newspaper columnist who often discussed language. I can't remember what exactly my letter was about -- something to do with not knowing what the words are for common things -- and I ended by saying, "What the heck is the name of those things on the end of a shoelace!" I already knew, but it just seemed like one of those things that most people don't know. As for the columnist, he got several columns out of my letter, with lots of people writing in about words. I was very proud of that.

The only TS I got was Salman Rushdie. I also got the DD of Janus. I knew he was the two-faced Roman god, but I didn't know he was the god of doorways.

I noticed two times when the audience cheered loudly, once for Erin and once for Rob. I don't know if they had lots of friends/family there or if people were actually cheering against Frank.

• Love 9

As an unapologetic member of Team Austin so I'm going to draw a distinction between charming eccentricity and cloying parody. I realize I'm now dead to some of you.

You are very much alive to me! To be perfectly honest, I felt like I was a member of the jury in 12 Angry Men when I tried to "defend" Austin, finally gave up, and became an unapologetic member of Team Austin too.

Other have mentioned that Austin got almost all of his answers right. He was also quick, as in QUICK (some people thought too quick), so the boards were cleared. Austin didn't read the whole damn question and, except for the first day (I think), he started at the TOP.

Oh, and he didn't sway, wave his buzzer like a baton, or hug it to his bosom.

Thanks the gods Alex didn't ask Frank to mimic someone during his bio-speak.

Did I just throw shade on Frank? LOVE that expression :)

• Love 6

I didn't get to watch Wednesday's show due to nonstop wall-to-wall local coverage of the school shooting in Broward County. No Wheel, no Jeopardy! and no first 20 minutes of the Amazing Race either.

Anyway, I see here that Frank lost. THANK GOD!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There was one time when he was leaning way over toward Rob. The camera was on Rob as he picked, and he (Rob) seemed a bit distracted by Frank leaning over so far.

Way back in the 70's (I was a teenager) I wrote to an LA Times newspaper columnist who often discussed language. I can't remember what exactly my letter was about -- something to do with not knowing what the words are for common things -- and I ended by saying, "What the heck is the name of those things on the end of a shoelace!" I already knew, but it just seemed like one of those things that most people don't know. As for the columnist, he got several columns out of my letter, with lots of people writing in about words. I was very proud of that.

It looked like he was actually almost laying on the podium--it was driving me crazy here; I can't imagine how Rob didn't smack him away.

I know aglet from Phineus and Ferb--they have a whole song about aglets that I don't expect anyone over 7 other than me to know.  (Interesting--spellcheck says aglet is not a word...)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Pallida said:

But there's also the Menominee tribe/reservation/county/small town in northern WI. For people who are interested in certain topics, it's not obscure. In fact, I was questioning your spelling (I know, I shouldn't kneejerk that!) and find it interesting/confusing that there's a Menomonie and a Menominee!

But Northern WI is a 715 area code ;)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was Salman Rushdie. I also got the DD of Janus. I knew he was the two-faced Roman god, but I didn't know he was the god of doorways.

I remember the doorways bit, because if I recall correctly, that's why January was named after him - January's the doorway into the new year, and it "faces" the new year and "looks back" at the old. 

• Love 8

I don't see the similarities between Austin and Frank. I just don't. Austin was insufferably the coolest cat in the room and took every advantage of his camera time to "perform" and show the world how clever he is. Yes, he was quick on the buzzer and seldom missed an answer. But he was such a massive tool.

Frank was none of that. If Marty hadn't been unfortunate with some DDs, Frank would have been gone, baby, gone.

If Austin hadn't been such a dickweed, he would have been one of my favorite players. But it is because of his Tom Toolery that he is being celebrated on the J! website, talk shows and on social media. It's not surprising Frank is a wannabee. Now Frank's standup gigs will come rolling in, right?

I wonder about my brain, that I knew aiglet but had no idea about Janus.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I didn't get to watch Wednesday's show due to nonstop wall-to-wall local coverage of the school shooting in Broward County. No Wheel, no Jeopardy! and no first 20 minutes of the Amazing Race either.

Anyway, I see here that Frank lost. THANK GOD!

Ditto.  I came home from work and watched a bit of the coverage.  But then when I was ready to eat supper and catch up on Jeopardy!, I was greeted with a DVR recording of the breaking news as it was happening earlier in the day.  Jeopardy! comes on at 3:00PM CST here.  

I know some stations will air daytime shows overnight if they are pre-empted by news or the Olympics.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case with Jeopardy!  If it was, my DVR would have still recorded it as a "new" broadcast, regardless of what time it airs.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, teebax said:

I don't remember the clue for Milwaukee, but I had no answer for that one. What made it a "duh"? The area code? Just that it's the biggest city in Wisconsin?

I liked Frank the first night, even with his little quirks, but agree with all who say last night was insufferable. The random guessing was like watching a SNL sketch. How did this guy pass the tryouts, unless the stupid random guessing was all for show.

The Jay Leno car category took too long. Long narrative then a clue that seemed to have no relationship to the previous long narrative. "The Super Duper Couper with its blah-blah-blah engine and blah-blah-blah suspension system could travel 500 miles on one tank of gas and *this* founder of Amazon was once seen riding in the back during a parade..." You didn't need all the info about the car to get the answer.  

Am I mixing Tuesday and Wednesday? I watched them together. I too, wanted the Anagram category. "Apt" for "Tap"? C'mon, it's 3 letters!

• Love 3

You are very much alive to me! To be perfectly honest, I felt like I was a member of the jury in 12 Angry Men when I tried to "defend" Austin, finally gave up, and became an unapologetic member of Team Austin too.

I am a member of Team Austin as well. I will be at my table for one for liking Frank. I prefer people like them than the more serious players. I know I am the worst.

• Love 2

I picked apples in friends' orchard "back in the day" in Wenatchee. They were DELICIOUS, so different than the tasteless so-called apples shipped to the Midwest. Fresh is awesomely best.

I don't remember the clue for Milwaukee, but I had no answer for that one. What made it a "duh"?

It was in the category "Ends in EE" with the clue being its area code is 414. Milwaukee is the only city that fits the category/clue, (Since Pewaukee's area code is 262. File that nugget away for future Jeopardy play.) Area code 414 basically covers only Milwaukee County, which includes Milwaukee, of course.

• Love 3

I'm going to admit that I wasn't paying attention when categories were given and explained, and I thought the geography category was for things that start with E, so I said Eau Claire. I should pay better attention!

@saber5055, are the tasteless "apples" in the Midwest coming from Michigan? I'm always fascinated by how far produce travels - like growing up in California, and getting produce from Florida even if it's the same season.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wouldn't have been able to answer that clue except they showed Salman Rushdie's photo, which made that TS a no brainer. I can't believe none of the three recognized him. I mean, he was all the news after The Satanic Verses got his death warrant signed.

I recognized him right away, knew exactly who he was and even came up with The Satanic Verses, but couldn't pull his name out of my brain to save my life.  Also couldn't come up with Milwaukee.  <hangs head in shame>

I did get Janus and home, and somehow managed to guess engineering.

• Love 2

Pallida, those apples might indeed be from Michigan. I did a search and found out most apples in the grocery store are at least one year old, having been kept in cold storage and gassed. Michigan growers do this every year. This from one article: "In the sealed storage room, oxygen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen, as well as temperature and humidity, are regulated to keep the apples in a kind of suspended animation." The apples are suppose to taste as fresh as just picked. But I've eaten Washington apples picked directly from the orchard, that's not true IMO.

*apple lesson over* LOL!

My brain always wanders when categories are introduced on a new board. It's important to know those categories, so I'm positive my brain wants to jinx me with distractions so I don't feel "so smart."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Rabbit Run (surprised none of the other two realized he’d just added an S)

That was an edited moment per Rob. Alex accepted it, but then the judges intervened.

7 hours ago, Trey said:

It's aiglet.

That's a variant of aglet per M-W.com. That is the only word I've permanently learned from playing the game Balderdash.

• Love 2

It's aglet in crossword puzzles, where I learned what they are.

Glad Frank lost, but it doesn't sound like the new champ is much better.  I'm not sad that I missed last night (and Arlo was great! He even did Alice's Restaurant!), but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to tonight.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I saw that, it looked like he was trying to lean on Rob's podium, or at least get himself in the shot.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wonder about my brain, that I knew aiglet but had no idea about Janus.

I'm always amazed at what sticks, and what doesn't. My mind is cram full of useless knowledge - but works for Jeopardy (at least when I'm sitting on the couch!)

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My brain always wanders when categories are introduced on a new board. It's important to know those categories, so I'm positive my brain wants to jinx me with distractions so I don't feel "so smart."

Glad I'm not the only one. It ensures that at some point, I will give a wrong answer because I don't remember the category. 

• Love 5