Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I wanted either middle guy or end woman to win and end Ryan's run.  The leather jacket and his posing with it (along with the bouncing) can go any time.

I can excuse bouncing in this case. He was deep in the hole and trying to make it up. It worked for him, the jacket most certainly did not.  

FJ was obvious.  

11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also was surprised that end woman couldn't come up with Pirates of Penzance -- buccaneers was in the clue!  I also got Rubik (someone should have gotten that after Ryan's miss), and Shining Star.

Got all of those. 

• Love 3

I'm not on board with the Ryan hate. After that come from behind win, he can bounce around and look pleased with himself all he wants. I thought Nate was headed for a runaway win, until Ryan hit those two DD's, bet big, and got them right. And Nate did not deserve to win after blanking on Ore-Ida. 

Apart from FJ, did anyone else think a lot of those questions were tough tonight?

• Love 6

Ryan's gone from halfway annoying to I can't stand him.  Bouncing, smug, rubbing his fingers together at the end and that leather jacket.  I was praying he wouldn't get the easiest DD ever (Las Vegas). Nate irritated me starting in the middle of categories.  Plus, he began his interview with "so".  I was mightily rooting for Elizabeth.

The clue regarding the organization that started accepting boys in 1975, shouldn't that have been Campfire Girls and not just Campfire?  Or did the name change?

I got Pirates of Penzance (DD), Little Foxes, Rubik, Ho Hey, and Jones Act.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 11

Ryan: "Hey, look at me. I'm freaking TOM CRUISE! Just call me Maverick!" Gah. I do not like puppy-killer Ryan.

As for Ore-Ida, that was PreSchool Tournament level. Then showing the map? They should have just said: "This company, known for its tater tots, combines the names of Oregon and Idaho." All I could think, after the failure of the pilot to answer, is that he is married and his wife does the grocery shopping. That, or he hates tots.

The DD of Vegas also was PreSchool level. Geezy pete, is a junior-high class writing the clues this season?

Rubik ... oh, man. No one picked up on that? And yeah, it should have been Campfire Girls, I've never heard it called just Campfire. And adding Girls would distinguish it from Campfire Carson.

• Love 10

Secnarf, check out the frozen french fries, hash browns and tater tots next time you go to the grocery. Ore-Ida is top of the line for frozen potatoes. And the company has been around forever, my mom "baked" them for me when I was a kid. Back then they were pretty much the only choice if one wanted to buy frozen. Now there are lots of cheaper knock offs. But Ore-Ida still rocks!

• Love 6

OK, Nate referring to "fartnetic tricks" cracked me up.

I only got the DD of DD Pirates of Penzance, shining star, and the Jones Act (after Elizabeth guessed Johnson). I couldn't pull The Little Foxes from my brain.

I was amused by Ryan's guess of the Katy Perry lyric, "Comin' at cha like an ex-President."

And, yes, FJ was super easy.

• Love 4

Buccaneers doesn’t get you to Pirates of Penzance?  The Little Foxes as a TS kind of surprised me, but that missed DD in the stage category really did.

Moulin Rouge as a district?

Not coming up with Rubik after being spotted Rubiks?

Flop and defeated in the loser category seemed far too easy clues for DJ.  Same with showing a picture of the Pieta in the European art category and of Ramses in the pharaohs category.  And I’d never given a moment’s thought to the origin of Ore-Ida (I don't eat their products [I hate potatoes], but I have heard of the brand just based on cultural osmosis), but FJ was an instaget.  Learn something new every day, sure, but that was stupid easy with the visual clue.

I didn't see yesterday's show to hear the puppy story, but I didn't like the little pencil-necked guy on Monday's show and he bugged me again tonight; after reading about the puppy story, I officially hate him.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Today's FJ was regarding a company started in whatever year with an inset map showing a dot on the border of OREgon and IDaho.  The simplest question I've ever seen -- and one guy couldn't come up with an answer!

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Well, I have never heard of "Ore-Ida" in my life, though I can identify those two states on a map of the US (not that that was needed for FJ since they were labelled!)

This is the first time I've heard of Ore-Ida outside of a crossword puzzle, so I didn't think it strange that someone didn't get it. Growing up, my parents wouldn't buy us any frozen or processed food (no matter how much we begged for Eggos and Pizza Pops). If I didn't do crosswords, I wouldn't have gotten it, either!

• Love 3

I’m pleased to learn that several people in the world know Gilbert & Sullivan.

Ore-Ida has TV commercials.  Maybe one ran during this game; I change channels during breaks.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Driad said:

I’m pleased to learn that several people in the world know Gilbert & Sullivan.

Ore-Ida has TV commercials.  Maybe one ran during this game; I change channels during breaks.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Secnarf, check out the frozen french fries, hash browns and tater tots next time you go to the grocery. Ore-Ida is top of the line for frozen potatoes. And the company has been around forever, my mom "baked" them for me when I was a kid. Back then they were pretty much the only choice if one wanted to buy frozen. Now there are lots of cheaper knock offs. But Ore-Ida still rocks!

Not in Canada!

It's not me being oblivious - they just don't exist where I live.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 4

I, like someone  else upthread, only popped in to say I really can't stand Ryan , and he is really ruining the enjoyment of this show for me. I normally don't follow this thread, and this was the only reason I dropped by here  was to express my annoyance with him. 

• Love 6

Yesterday I considered that my dislike for Ryan might be Irrational Hate because I couldn't put my finger on what exactly bugged me about him. Well it was crystal clear tonight: for the luckiest guy on earth he's awfully smug. Congratulating himself for getting the easiest DD ever -- only after a long a** pause -- that saved him from a string of bad wild guesses... Annoying little twerp can't get off my TV fast enough. And on top of all that the leather jacket... I can't.

As for the rest of the show, for TS I got Rubik, Shining Star (my favorite song of all time), and Little Foxes (because it's the only Lillian Hellman play I can name), and I got the missed Pirates of Penzance and Jay Pharoah DDs.

I'll admit FJ wasn't exactly an instaget. I had to say "on the border of Oregon and Idaho..." out loud before it came to me!

• Love 8

Shit, shit, shit. That is what I shouted after puppy abandoner, 3rd rate Fonzie Ryan doubled his score on the 1st DD then uncovered the 2nd. I was sending telepathic Atlantic City vibes to him so he'd miss the 2nd one, but it didn't work. 

TS I got were Campfire (Girls), The Pirates of Penzance, Rubik, Ho Hey, Dark Horse, Shining Star. I over FF the recording to get to FJ, and saw the dot on the map, and Dr. Toothbrush & I both said, "Ore-Ida" before ever hearing the clue. 

21 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Ryan left a puppy on top of a pyramid. I'm not sure what I would have done either as the puppy was apparently happy, but I don't think I'd mention that part on national television.  

The words "he's now dead to me" escaped my lips Tuesday night. It's so strange what some people think is charming. I'd take a million dirty feet stories over this one. 

12 hours ago, teebax said:

I was also rooting for Brandey to win, despite the unnecessary "E" in her name, heh.

Something I didn't know was that James Patterson wrote the Toys R Us line. That's pretty good trivia and something I won't forget now.

I decided to overlook the unnecessary "E" also.

I agree - great piece of trivia.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I cannot forgive Ryan for leaving the puppy at the top of the STEEP pyramid. Yeah, the dog was happy ... happy to see people who could save him from dying up there. Dogs have problems going down steps until they are taught, and even then it can be impossible. When I had a front porch, my dog would not leave it since he couldn't go down the four steps to the yard. There is no way in hell that a puppy, or any dog except an exceptional one, would go down hundreds of very steep steps. Up, yes. Down, no. And he thinks that's a fun story to tell on national television? I hope he rots. I rank Austin over him for likability. And I strongly dislike Austin.

DrScottie, I like your new icon. ChicagoCita has one too. Yeay Cubs! Toothbrush, you need to get one.

I have convinced myself that the puppy was rescued and is living a dream life full of love, belly scratches, and doggy treats. 

Oh dear, a new icon. The pressure! 

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Nate was headed for a runaway win, until Ryan hit those two DD's, bet big, and got them right.

From the look on his face after DJ, Nate thought so too. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Buccaneers doesn’t get you to Pirates of Penzance? 

All I could think of was the argument they were having on an episode of The West Wing about whether something was from Penzance or Pinafore.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

All I could think of was the argument they were having on an episode of The West Wing about whether something was from Penzance or Pinafore.

Ha - and with that as her wrong guess, I did indeed think about the same thing.  ("It's one of the ones about duty"/"They're all about duty.")  But not knowing which one the "He is an Englishman" lyric came from is one thing, and not knowing buccaneers = the one with pirates in the title is another.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Ryan's been lucky.  He makes some incredibly stupid guesses but knows some of the more difficult questions. 

I like that today -- if you squinted -- Ryan and Elizabeth looked like twins. 

Yes!  I was wondering if they were separated at birth.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yesterday I considered that my dislike for Ryan might be Irrational Hate because I couldn't put my finger on what exactly bugged me about him. Well it was crystal clear tonight: for the luckiest guy on earth he's awfully smug. Congratulating himself for getting the easiest DD ever -- only after a long a** pause -- that saved him from a string of bad wild guesses... Annoying little twerp can't get off my TV fast enough. And on top of all that the leather jacket... I can't.

All of this.  Except I'm gonna say pleather.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

How?? How do you see a map of the US with the states labelled and not get "Ore-Ida"???? That was Kids Tournament level!!!!

Hangs head. I.could.not.get.it. My husband's all "come on, you know this" and all I'm doing is thinking potatoes (in the right neighborhood) but never, ever, put the brand name together with the states before.

11 hours ago, opus said:

Does anyone else think Ryan looks like Rachael Maddow?

Not really, but my husband thinks if you put the costume on - he's the model for Waldo of Where's Waldo fame. Down to the goofy smile.

I actually like Ryan a lot. So sue me. ;)

Even so, I was rooting for the woman on the end to win. I liked her too.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I cannot forgive Ryan for leaving the puppy at the top of the STEEP pyramid. Yeah, the dog was happy ... happy to see people who could save him from dying up there. Dogs have problems going down steps until they are taught, and even then it can be impossible. When I had a front porch, my dog would not leave it since he couldn't go down the four steps to the yard. There is no way in hell that a puppy, or any dog except an exceptional one, would go down hundreds of very steep steps. Up, yes. Down, no. And he thinks that's a fun story to tell on national television? I hope he rots. I rank Austin over him for likability. And I strongly dislike Austin.

DrScottie, I like your new icon. ChicagoCita has one too. Yeay Cubs! Toothbrush, you need to get one.

I generally skip the contestant interviews because they make me want to punch Alex. He took a puppy to the top of pyramid (I'm guessing one of the ones in Mexico?), and just left it? No follow up? Didn't go back, wait and make sure it got down or someone got it?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ChromaKelly said:

I generally skip the contestant interviews because they make me want to punch Alex. He took a puppy to the top of pyramid (I'm guessing one of the ones in Mexico?), and just left it? No follow up? Didn't go back, wait and make sure it got down or someone got it?

No, the puppy was already there of his own accord. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

No, the puppy was already there of his own accord. 

Oh ok, that's less heinous. Honestly, I'm not a dog person and it wouldn't occur to me that the puppy was stuck and needed help down.

• Love 5

Just to play devil's advocate, I was thinking maybe the logistics of getting the puppy off the pyramid kept Ryan from rescuing it. Maybe he wouldn't have been able to scale back down what he said was a very steep climb holding a puppy. But if that was the case, he should have said so, rather than give everyone the impression the puppy was content to be stuck where it was. 

Reminds me of an old "Hill Street Blues" episode where a cow was in an apartment building. To get it out, the cops think they can walk it downstairs, which makes one of the tenants laugh "You can't get a cow to walk down the stairs! You can get a cow to walk up the stairs, but you'll never get a cow to walk down the stairs! Ain't got no 'down' genes!"

The leather jacket. Ugh. A Fonzi wannabe, definitely. He can sit on it.

I admit it took me almost the whole 30 seconds to come up with Ore-Ida. Then I felt really stupid.

• Love 3

Like a Jeopardy judge, I am reversing my ruling on Ryan. I have gone from not having an opinion about him to finding him amusing to wanting him off my TV. He annoyed the hell out of me during yesterday's game. Be gone!

My gets were Jay Pharoah, Ho Hey (although Hey Ho would be an interesting song title), Dark Horse, Shining Star (why do the contestants ALWAYS miss Earth, Wind, and Fire clues? It's one of my favorite groups of all-time), and FJ after a second to think about it.

Ryan had a great comeback, but it was aided by the other players, who apparently just stopped playing. That was a strange ending.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Well, we can't actually know it was there of its own accord.  We just know it was there.  Someone could have carried it up and abandoned it there.

True enough. It's Schroedinger's puppy. My dogs always managed to find their way back (and down stairs), so it wouldn't have occurred to me that he needed rescuing unless he seemed in distress. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Yes!  I was wondering if they were separated at birth.

My sister joked that was going to be their interview story.

FJ was so ridiculously easy.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Congratulating himself for getting the easiest DD ever -- only after a long a** pause -- 

To be completely fair, I have seen many a contestant answer the DD too quickly and get it wrong even though they knew the correct answer. So I don't blame anyone for taking their time on the DD. I think it's the smart way to go.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Hangs head. I.could.not.get.it. My husband's all "come on, you know this" and all I'm doing is thinking potatoes (in the right neighborhood) but never, ever, put the brand name together with the states before.

I'm with you.  I was guessing that it might be Lay's (potato chips).

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

True enough. It's Schroedinger's puppy. My dogs always managed to find their way back (and down stairs), so it wouldn't have occurred to me that he needed rescuing unless he seemed in distress. 

Yeah, obviously we can't know.  Partly it might depend on the age of the puppy.  They have to learn to do stairs, so if this one didn't know how to do the down part of the skill set yet, a pyramid probably wouldn't be the best place for it to start.  What's clear is that this was a really stupid story to tell on TV if you wanted to make yourself look good.  Maybe he thought that meeting a puppy on top of a pyramid would sound cute, not anticipating that Alex would ask about . . . the rest of the story (said in my best Paul Harvey voice).

• Love 8

Okay, secnarf, you are forgiven for not knowing the Ore-Ida brand and for being Canadian. I guess Ont-Alb brands wouldn't be sold in the United States either. Interesting how Ryan has gone from being the adorkable kid to persona non gratis in my opinion. THAT didn't take long! Any bets on his wardrobe choice for today? His Top Gun leather jacket was a first for this show, at least in my memory. Welcome, all new posters here!

• Love 5

ChromaKelly, Ryan made it a point to say that pyramid in Mexico was hundred of steps (maybe thousands!) and so steep, he illustrated a 89-degree angle with his hand. Then he announced he found the puppy at the top after a long, exhausting climb to get there. As a human, I'd have a hard time getting down from that place, I'd have to go backward or sideways or any way except front forward. More likely, I'd be overcome by vertigo and be unable to move. I'd be happy to be rescued ... like the puppy thought he was going to be.

Please change all my references to Ryan's "leather" jacket to "pleather."

• Love 8

Yes, Ryan is annoying, mostly because he's so smug.

I think my only ts was Pirates of Penzance.

Not quite an instaget FJ; first I thought "it must be pretty mountain-y right there" so went with Bird's Eye, then switched to Ore-Ida.  I'm in Canada too and I've never seen Ore-Ida products in our stores; but, for years until we got satellite tv, we watched mostly American network television so knew all the commercials, also all about Michigan and Detroit politics.  Now I couldn't even tell you the mayor of Detroit unless I looked it up.

• Love 5

Oh man, so close to getting rid of the smug twerp.  He's not at Austin levels of awful yet, but getting there for me.  I was rooting for the guy from West Grove, mostly because that's near a winery of which I am quite fond.  And he was doing well up until the last 2 categories.  Can't believe he didn't get FJ.  Of course, even if he'd bet everything and been right, I don't think he would've won, but still.

Edited to note that I didn't hear Ryan's puppy story - I'd taped Tuesday's game and fast-forwarded through the interviews - but if I had, yes, that would've driven me past Austin-levels of hate.  (And yes, 'taped'.  I am old.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not coming up with Rubik after being spotted Rubiks?

I think because Alex just said "No" (AS HE SHOULD), not that "No....." he does when people are close, but not quite on it.  As the host Alex should not be giving these verbal clues!  Guaranteed if he'd said it the latter way someone would've rung in with Rubik.  Arg drives me crazy.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Exactly.  The hand motion he made when they announced his winnings - OMG GO AWAY YOU SMUG A**HOLE.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I wanted either middle guy or end woman to win and end Ryan's run.  The leather jacket and his posing with it (along with the bouncing) can go any time.

FJ was painfully easy for me.  I never realized how the company got its name, either, but it makes perfect sense.  Astonishing that middle guy couldn't come up with anything.

I also was surprised that end woman couldn't come up with Pirates of Penzance -- buccaneers was in the clue!  I also got Rubik (someone should have gotten that after Ryan's miss), and Shining Star.

I got all the others, but couldn't think of Shining Star.  Brick House popped into my head due to recent political events, and I couldn't get away from it to save my life.

• Love 3