Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't expect those cooties-infested BOYS to know about Flowers in the Attic, but a woman who appears to be in her 30s who isn't familiar with that book is a rare creature indeed! For many of us, it was our first introduction to Tittilating WTF literature.

I'm in my 60's and read the first few books in that series. Then I decided they were problematic, as they say these days, and stopped reading them. Does WTF stand for the standard saying, or is there a specialized titillating fiction reference? 

I liked them all, but of course, was rooting for Gilbert's children. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Gerry and the Pacemakers...

I said Herman's Hermits. 

I was a slackjawed idiot for FJ until Olivia revealed her answer and I screamed out TWICE!  So I'm giving myself 1/2 credit.  LOL.

Same experience here. I had absolutely no idea for FJ. Never in a million years would I have come up with You Only Live Twice.

The TSs I did get were Flowers in the Attic, Dusty Springfield, jumping the shark, Bernie Madoff, and This Is Us.

David was doing great, but I'm still glad Gilbert won.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was a slackjawed idiot for FJ until Olivia revealed her answer and I screamed out TWICE!  So I'm giving myself 1/2 credit.  LOL.

I guess Olivia was too young for this one #YOLO

I too had no clue and then when her answer was revealed slapped my forehead. I don't recall ever hearing of a book or movie called You Only Live Twice, but when given her answer, anybody could figure out that it should be twice!!!

• Love 2

I love Gilbert and was so happy when the "ring worm" correction happened and he regained the lead going into FJ. I realize part of this love is his use of "same, [dollar amount]" but he's also got these sly smiles too. And his grilling story actually felt like getting to know him versus a random "cool story" intro. Anyways, I'd be fine with him lasting for a long while.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

Started off rough with no BMS needed for Trudeau. And then continued with calling the coffee chain "Tim Horton". It's "Tim Hortons", and in a category called "Getting Possessive", the possessive matters!!! (Although Tim Hortons has omitted the apostrophe so that it works in both English and French).

This bugged me, too! I kept waiting for the correction. When Alex started to say the totals were changed for FJ, I was sure it was going to be about Timmies. 

I had to think about it, but I did get FJ. Alex said Olivia was writing to the last second, so I wonder if she had time to think about it, she would have written "twice"

• Love 3
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Started off rough with no BMS needed for Trudeau. And then continued with calling the coffee chain "Tim Horton". It's "Tim Hortons", and in a category called "Getting Possessive", the possessive matters!!! (Although Tim Hortons has omitted the apostrophe so that it works in both English and French).

And finally, "ringworm" should have been a BMS for that daily double. Athlete's foot is ringworm on your feet. Glad they went back to correct that, because that was atrocious judging initially. Tinea refers to ringworm...you can have tinea pedis, tinea capitus, tinea corporis, tinea cruris, etc. They're all just ringworm on various parts of your body. Even though they had that "couch potato" joke in there to point towards "athlete's foot", that doesn't make ringworm an incorrect answer.

Thank you so much for the explanation about ring worm.  I didn't know this (the joy of Jeopardy!), and while I'm really glad to see Gilbert win again, I was worried about him going into final.

• Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 7:39 PM, teebax said:

I didn't like Tyler. I didn't like his before my time comment when he hit the DD. I didn't like him staring down the other contestants. I didn't like his eyebrows. Okay, the last one is silly, but by then it was bitch eating crackers time.

LOL.  I won't miss Tyler either.  He spent so much of the game in the red that I wasn't really worried about him until he made his final push at the end, but I was glad to see him tripped up by pronoun trouble.  Speaking of which, I was thinking Our Mutual Friend for FJ right up until I saw Tyler's answer, and then I realized my mistake.  And his.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

And finally, "ringworm" should have been a BMS for that daily double. Athlete's foot is ringworm on your feet. Glad they went back to correct that, because that was atrocious judging initially. Tinea refers to ringworm...you can have tinea pedis, tinea capitus, tinea corporis, tinea cruris, etc. They're all just ringworm on various parts of your body. Even though they had that "couch potato" joke in there to point towards "athlete's foot", that doesn't make ringworm an incorrect answer.

This bugged me too!  And I think she did it twice, because she also answered just "St. Patrick" instead of St. Patrick's Cathedral.  And thanks for the explanation of the ringworm correction.  I spent too much time last night wondering how "pedis" could translate to worm or ring.

Hooray for Gilbert's fifth win, and almost doubling his winnings in one game!  I agree @saber5055, Alex definitely needs to hush about low totals, etc.  But I do like to see people rack up the dollars on Jeopardy, especially when I'm rooting for them.  And their kids, ha.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yay Gilbert!  His kids are going to be soooooo happy!  Is their 1% cut before or after taxes?

There has to be some kind of cafeteria plan for allowances.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was getting ready to smack Alex for repeating the correct answer after every single clue in the first round. STFU.

I hear that.

It's especially smack-worthy when he says it like he's praising a 3 year old for holding up 3 fingers when asked his age. (Good girl/boy! I'm surprised you knew that!)

• Love 3

Heh, awesome we all know Flowers in the Attic.  I wonder if they knew and just didn't want to admit it on TV.   

I'm really glad to see Gilbert win again, I was worried about him going into final.

Me too.  The show can be so stressful when I'm worried about someone winning. 

• Love 5

And then continued with calling the coffee chain "Tim Horton"

Do you think they would have accepted "Timmys"? Because every Canadian I know calls it that

Congratulations to the new Jeopardy champ Gus Fring!

I have had the same thought, plus Giancarlo Esposito played a character named Gilbert on the late lamented "Community"

• Love 4

I never thought to check to see if there was an active Jeopardy thread here, and my yes, there is! Can someone tell me what TS stands for? I've gathered it's questions that none of the contestants knew, but what does the abbreviation mean? 

I demanded high fives from my family members last night when I got the Gerry and the Pacemakers clue. I'm a child of the 70s and 80s but my dad liked a lot of those British bands and I remember him talking about them. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I never thought to check to see if there was an active Jeopardy thread here, and my yes, there is! Can someone tell me what TS stands for? I've gathered it's questions that none of the contestants knew, but what does the abbreviation mean?

TS is a triple stumper - all three got it wrong. 

There's another thread on here with abbreviations.  I had to find it myself a while back because I didn't know some commonly used ones like BMS and, like you, TS.  FJ was an instaget though.  ;)  

(Edited to add the link...like, duh!  Brain freeze because temps are cold here today.)

Edited by GalvDuck
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I demanded high fives from my family members last night when I got the Gerry and the Pacemakers clue. I'm a child of the 70s and 80s but my dad liked a lot of those British bands and I remember him talking about them. 

TS = triple stumper = no one got it right.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

I have had the same thought, plus Giancarlo Esposito played a character named Gilbert on the late lamented "Community"

I loved that show. That video game episode was awesome. In fact, there's a group making the Journey to the Center of Castle Hawkthorne game.

2 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

There's another thread on here with abbreviations.  I had to find it myself a while back because I didn't know some commonly used ones like BMS and, like you, TS.  FJ was an instaget though.  ;)  

The Jeopardy! archive glossary is helpful for that, but it doesn't have everything. For instance, it doesn't have BMS there. That's Be More Specific. 

• Love 2

TS meaning Triple Stumper also means not a single one of the three could even answer much less answer incorrectly. I'm revealing myself as the only person here who has never even HEARD of Flowers In The Attic much less knew it was a book much less has read it. I live with my cooties to this day, and I guess I'm fine with that. I did immediately know You Only Live Twice though, being a Bond book and movie fan. The books were rather racy for reading by a ninth grader, which is when I read them all. You know ... while you guys were reading Flowers In The Attic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I confess, too, @saber5055.  I've vaguely heard the book's title but I have never read it, and after looking at the description on Amazon, I have no desire to.

i must admit that i read the series in my younger days, at the time when read danielle steel.  bowing my head in shame!

• Love 3

The new champ might be around for awhile.  He's not as calm and unflappable as Gilbert, but he's quick, and he didn't make any dumb guesses.  The category with the dates impressed me.  I lived through those events but could only be approximate for most of them.

I did know Daniel Deronda -- I haven't read the book but the DVD is part of a box set of classic lit adaptations. 

• Love 5

Lee is incredibly quick!  So quick that we even got through the Galapagos category with Alex reading the clues!  I'm glad we did, too.  Sorry Gilbert lost, but I'm okay with Lee winning.  I had to think about FJ for a second, but got it in time.

Seems like there weren't too many TS this game, either, which also helped them clear the board.  I managed Reaper, Mellon, and schwa.

24 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

The category with the dates impressed me.

Me, too.  I am terrible with remembering dates like that.  I could probably do decades, but not years.

• Love 5

I'll miss Gilbert and hope to see him on TOC.  Lee seems OK.

I looked up "Flowers In The Attic" but it has many characters whose names begin with the same letter, a pet peeve of mine. It will not be on my reading list.

• Love 4

Got FJ remembering the category of special days. Armistice Day was changed to Veteran's Day. 

It's impressive to see someone run two categories, Banner Year and Presidential Burial Places. Good for Lee and I look forward to seeing Gilbert in the ToC. 

21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Seems like there weren't too many TS this game, either, which also helped them clear the board.  I managed Reaper, Mellon, and schwa.

I got Reaper and schwa outright, but said Heinz before remembering the Carnegie reference and then said Mellon after Gilbert's incorrect response.  

• Love 5

I'm taking it personally that I caused Gilbert to lose by posting this earlier: "I love Gilbert and hope I''m not jinxing his sixth win by writing that." When I saw the game was a runaway, I was bummed. But the bright spot is, I had to let dogs in and out at the end of the game so missed the FJ category, and the only part of the clue I heard was "replaced with veterans" as I came back into the room. As I was closing the dog door, I said out loud, "armistice." Which I guess makes me smarter than SOME Jeopardy contestants, so there's that.

• Love 9

Sorry to see Gilbert go, but Lee is impressive.  Running two categories - wow!  I hated how Matt Jackson would cut Alex off and bark out his next clue selection.  Fast forward a couple of years and I loved that Lee and Amanda both did that.  I guess it's because they weren't as abrupt as old Jazz Hands and the fact that Alex yaks too much between clues slowing everything down.

The only TS I got was Mellon.

I was a total fail on FJ.  I got the British Remembrance Day stuck in my head and couldn't think of anything else.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Lee is incredibly quick!  So quick that we even got through the Galapagos category with Alex reading the clues!  I'm glad we did, too.

I'm not saying the show had to manipulate things this episode, but they do sometimes make sure an entire category in the J! round gets shown when it's something special/a sponsor.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The new champ might be around for awhile.  He's not as calm and unflappable as Gilbert, but he's quick, and he didn't make any dumb guesses.  The category with the dates impressed me.  I lived through those events but could only be approximate for most of them.

I did know Daniel Deronda -- I haven't read the book but the DVD is part of a box set of classic lit adaptations. 

Yes, I was off on several of the dates by about a year--the Selma one, for example. I did get schwa, Daniel Deronda, and Death in Venice.

I think Alex jinxed Gilbert by telling him how much he'd be paying his kids if he won as much as Ken Jennings! But I'm hoping for a good-sized streak by Lee.

• Love 6

Not too many TS’s today. I got Bern and Mellon. I got FJ right away because my mother used to call it Armistice Day when I was a kid. It took her several years to remember the name change. 

Sorry to see Gilbert go but Lee definitely knew his stuff. He buzzed thru, no annoying mannerisms so I liked him and hope he can stick around for a few days. 

Edited by Miss Chevious
Can’t spell today
  • Love 4

I got Death in Venice and schwa. When the TV Devil category came up, I was waiting for a clue about Reaper, and then I completely brain-froze when that clue came up.

Lee impressed me with his running the Presidential Burial Place category and the year one. I hope he continues to do well.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Got FJ remembering the category of special days. Armistice Day was changed to Veteran's Day. 

It's impressive to see someone run two categories, Banner Year and Presidential Burial Places. Good for Lee and I look forward to seeing Gilbert in the ToC. 

I got Reaper and schwa outright, but said Heinz before remembering the Carnegie reference and then said Mellon after Gilbert's incorrect response.  

I had the same gets as you, including getting Mellon the same way. 

I loved Lee's performance and loved his speed. I'll miss Gilbert but I hope Lee sticks around for a while. It's nice to get boards clear! 

• Love 5

UGH I'm gonna miss Gilbert - calm, cool and collected man with the wry smile. Lee’s knowledge is certainly impressive but his kind of rapid-fire response gets boring for me after a while. It's like he's competing against himself on his phone or something. I'm willing to admit I'm just a hater to judge him so quickly.

For TS I got Death in Venice (I feel like this is the 2nd or 3rd time in recent memory that it’s been a TS!), and Reaper just as an educated guess. FJ was an instaget.

I'm not saying the show had to manipulate things this episode, but they do sometimes make sure an entire category in the J! round gets shown when it's something special/a spon

Yes I was thinking the same. It would be hard to give a sponsor a makegood for not exposing all of their clues, no matter how riveting the video! ;-)

• Love 5

Jeopardy was finally shown in my city Wednesday after 24+ hours of non-stop WINTER STORM 2018 - OMG!!!11!!! reporting. On the bright side, after taking a long weekend for my birthday last week, MLK holiday, & 2 ice days, I feel like I got an extra week of vacation this year.

I will miss Gilbert, but Lee is very knowledgable and a cool customer. Glad Gilbert is ToC bound, and that his kids stand to make some good bank. And yeah, I figured he was a goner as soon as Alex started talking Ken Jennings. 

TS I got were tuna noodle casserole, Bern, schwa. I also originally thought Remembrance Day for FJ, but switched to Armistice, hopefully in time to have written it down.

5 hours ago, Driad said:

I looked up "Flowers In The Attic" but it has many characters whose names begin with the same letter, a pet peeve of mine. It will not be on my reading list.

I hate it too, although my twin daughters both have names starting with E. But they were named after their twin 4x great aunts, the only other twins on either side of the family, so we weren't trying to be Duggar-y or anything.

5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

but said Heinz before remembering the Carnegie reference and then said Mellon after Gilbert's incorrect response.  

My guess is that Lee is a history or civics teacher. 

I said Heinz too, but Dr. Toothbrush knew Mellon right away. D'oh - so obvious! 

• Love 4

I was so excited to get schwa. That's one of those random things I learned as a kid and it just stuck. I did very well in the original line up bands category. I was clueless in the Presidential burials, so I was really impressed he ran that category.

Flowers in the Attic is weird. My friend had all the books in the series and I read some of the first one but it's pretty icky. 

• Love 3
On 1/16/2018 at 6:17 PM, teebax said:

My gets were Sookie Stackhouse, Flowers in the Attic, Distinguished Flying Cross, Madoff, This is Us, and FJ, which was an instaget for me.

What was the This is Us question, if I may ask?  I have my DVR set to record every day and then I watch while I eat dinner.  But the deep freeze here in the Houston/Galveston area took precedence and it was all news and weather all day on most local channels.  So I came home to watch reports of cars sliding around and what schools were closed. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

What was the This is Us question, if I may ask?  I have my DVR set to record every day and then I watch while I eat dinner.  But the deep freeze here in the Houston/Galveston area took precedence and it was all news and weather all day on most local channels.  So I came home to watch reports of cars sliding around and what schools were closed. 

I couldn't possibly remember it now. Maybe another poster can help? You can also check the J archives. One more tip, there's a Jeopardy feed on Reddit where they post links to the episodes. So if you miss one, try that.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

IIRC, it was about Gerald McRaney winning an Emmy.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, desertflower said:

IIRC, it was about Gerald McRaney winning an Emmy.

That would make sense...and would probably throw me off.  It's been a while since he was on.  I would probably think back to his other shows first.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. I think it's because the word is fun to say. Schwa.

I didn't get schwa, but practically leapt out of my seat to shout "Umlaut" at the tv - that's one of those words I love for the same reason.

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've never heard it called TNC, and we didn't eat that (or meatloaf!) when I was a kid, so I had no clue on that one.

You didn't eat ML?

• Love 17

I would never have guessed tuna noodle casserole.  Wonder if Alex likes crushed potato chips on his.  For FJ! all I could come up with was Remembrance Day.  As soon as Armistice was revealed, I was like D'OH!  Although I don't think I spelled it right.

• Love 2