Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The lady guessing "Eminem" for the picture of Jack White has become a meme on Twitter among my friends. Better guesses: Johnny Depp, Michael Jackson, and "the mask from V for Vendetta."

In the clue Alex said something about Detroit which makes the guess of Eminem very very very very slightly better. But yeah, what a laugh out loud moment.

• Love 2

I got taro, The Turn of the Screw, soma, and stereo, as well as the DD of Nice. I said Icabod Crane instead of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

I didn't get FJ. I was thinking The Big Sick, but any nomination for that hasn't come out yet, so I took a wild stab and said La La Land.

• Love 3

Random factoid based on the interviews: lots of retirement-aged folks join the Peace Corps! It did sound like Gilbert was more than simply a volunteer though. 

I’m bummed we didn’t see the vinyl clues. I also don’t like Jack White so I question how much influence he has on the “resurgence” of vinyl. Time to do some googling. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

was really surprised when Gilbert took forever to come up with Napoleon.

Again I forgot what the category was, so when this clue came up, I thought it was about American history. I couldn't think what pyramids were in the US.

• Love 3

The only reason I got FJ was because I have been in a longtime personal boycott against Amazon due to their listing of a book years ago that I felt they should not carry.  I never have bought anything there and I probably never will.  The problems is that I thought it was only an online store that shipped things with a silly smiley face on the box and an internet streaming service like Hulu and Netflix.  I did now know they were now producing movies.  So I was mortified when I went to see MBTS and saw the Amazon Studios logo fly at me on the screen.  It stuck with me.  I now look to see if a movie I'm going to see is from Amazon or not.  

I've been an Amazon customer for so long, I still have the insulated beverage holder they sent me as a gift.  Yes, they used to send gifts to their customers. Once it was a pad of post-its with their logo and another time a fridge magnet with a quote about books (back when they sold mostly books and their slogan was "World's Largest Bookstore.")  The quote was from Cicero: "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

I was in a hot dog joint in Wytheville, VA this year on my road trip. On the wall is a framed, autographed picture. I knew it was a politician because there were two flags in the background. I asked one of the waitresses who it was and she said, "Warren. He was married to Liz Taylor."  I told her that can't be right - the guy married to Taylor was named Warner and he was much older than this dude.  Another waitress stepped in and said it was Senator Mark Warner.  Even some of the folks who live in Virginia would have missed FJ.

If the Eminem chick didn't know there was a pic to look at, maybe all 3 of 'em missed the pic of Redford. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for missing it.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

maybe all 3 of 'em missed the pic of Redford. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for missing it.

I saw the picture of Robert Redford, knew it was someone famous who I knew well and still couldn't pull his name out - of course it was a head smack when Alex said who it was.

• Love 5

I thought board-hopping was my biggest annoyance, but I find myself being super frustrated with slowness and the inability to clear the board of clues.  Between the clues being longer to read, the contestants feeling like they need to buzz in for everything and get it wrong, to just general TS, Jeopardy has been a tedious watch lately.  I am hoping a few contestants can kick some tail next week to rid me of this feeling.  I will even let them board-hop if they can get the spark going!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If the Eminem chick didn't know there was a pic to look at, maybe all 3 of 'em missed the pic of Redford. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for missing it.

Redford was easy for me, but maybe the Jack White pic was probably my version of their experience. I knew I'd seen the guy, and even knew who he was, but couldn't come up with his name. Though I knew for sure he wasn't Eminem (without a picture that would have been an understandable guess - but maybe she's only ever heard his music and not seen him.)

• Love 1

They seemed to be fairly fast at picking clues, and still the board wasn't cleared.

Thought the same thing last night...they were quick. Why is the board not being cleared??

Jack White has actually done a lot toward reviving vinyl, he has his own label and his record factory is in the city of Detroit. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Thought the same thing last night...they were quick. Why is the board not being cleared?? 

Possibly because Alex talks too much between clues.

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

Possibly because Alex talks too much between clues.

And he reads the clues so slowly -- he doesn't need those emotional/emphatical pauses.  If he likes the sound of his voice so much, he should do Audible books. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Tunia said:

Plus:  (from Wiki)

Mark Warner is

Vice Chair of the Senate Democratic Caucus

Incumbent

Assumed office
January 3, 2017
Serving with Elizabeth Warren

Actually, he assumed office on January 3, 2009, but maybe this means became the Vice Chair of the Senate Democratic Caucus on 1/3/17.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SweetSable said:

Actually, he assumed office on January 3, 2009, but maybe this means became the Vice Chair of the Senate Democratic Caucus on 1/3/17.

Yes, it's the latter.

We've had so many complaints about bad FJ clues, and it's frustrating to this viewer. I think they're trying to branch out to avoid repetition, and that's good in theory, but it's leading to some bad clues IMO.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That was a tricksy FJ, and I'm glad end girl will get a second chance.  At least I assume it was end girl, since she missed it.  I didn't get it either, although I knew it was something from last year -- just couldn't remember which one.  And I saw all of the Oscar-nominated movies last year, too!

They seemed to be fairly fast at picking clues, and still the board wasn't cleared.  I think the writers need to shorten the category names.  But there were quite a lot of TS, too, which eats up time.  I managed several of the TS, including taro, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, brass, creature feature, Nice, Miles Standish and stereo.

My stupid channel decided to cut out and I didn't see FJ.  Was it The Social Network?

• Love 1

Cars and one hit wonders? A board made for me. Naturally they tackled both categories at the end. I was screaming at the television. 

Congrats to Gilbert, although I liked all three contestants. I think Alisha was on tilt at the end. 

My gets were Astor, Burns and Steinbeck, Tender is the Night, Volkswagen, and The Waitresses. I don't know how but I got Fj immediately. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5

Congrats to Gilbert again.  I guess his kids will be happy.  I liked all three contestants, though.  Could we have the middle guy, Alex, come back instead of that gal from yesterday?

I was busy doing a chat with my ISP (got a much higher internet speed, a much lower bill and a new modem - I really like Century Link) so I couldn't write down all of my TS and missed hearing a few clues.

Was the answer to the missed DD about King Tut Carter or Lord Carnarvon?  I didn't see/hear the entire clue or hear the answer.  I knew both of them - things I've learned on Jeopardy!  The TS I remember were Stutz, Volkswagen, and Burns and Steinbeck.

FJ was an instaget and I have no idea how I knew that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Of the clues that I saw, I got January 6, Robert Burns and John Steinbeck, and VW.  I was really surprised that Gilbert couldn't come up with Steinbeck.  I would have thought that Burns would have been the stumper for that DD.

Me too.   Also, I was surprised that Gilbert missed the basketball question.  Didn't he run a basketball category on his first day? 

The wolves question was worded weirdly -- I was looking for something else entirely.  Re Fitzgerald/Tender is the Night -- I haven't read any of his books and guessed A Farewell to Arms.  Hey -- it's four words, and it's kinda poetical.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Of the clues that I saw, I got January 6, Robert Burns and John Steinbeck, and VW.  I was really surprised that Gilbert couldn't come up with Steinbeck.  I would have thought that Burns would have been the stumper for that DD.

Yes, I got Steinbeck right away, but just couldn't remember Burns.

The only TS I got was VW. Maybe next time I will finally remember Howard Carter.

I thought Egypt was more populous. I guessed Kenya.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Me too.   Also, I was surprised that Gilbert missed the basketball question.  Didn't he run a basketball category on his first day? 

The wolves question was worded weirdly -- I was looking for something else entirely.  Re Fitzgerald/Tender is the Night -- I haven't read any of his books and guessed A Farewell to Arms.  Hey -- it's four words, and it's kinda poetical.  

He ran a college basketball category. I'm the same way. I can answer college basketball trivia all day, but I don't follow the NBA at all. It bores me. I did get Curry but only because he and Steve Kerr are the only Warriors I know. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5

Thought Gilbert's story about his kid's allowance was cute and was pretty charmed by him today. His fake disappointment face at FJ got me. I'd be fine with him sticking around for a while longer.

• Love 10

I got January 6, Burns and Steinbeck, Carter, and The Waitresses, and I did remember that the word “night” was in the FSF title, but couldn’t come up with the full title in time. I got hung up on the west coast of Africa and thought desert—Timbuktu—Mali. My knowledge of African geography really sucks, though, and I am not even sure Mali is as far west  as I picture the map in my head. Time to look it up...

• Love 4

I thought including The Waitresses as a One-Hit-Wonder was inappropriate. Besides "I Know What Boys Like", their 1982 single, "Christmas Wrapping" out-charted it in the UK and stays that way to this day. I suppose there's some definition of "hit" used to designate One-Hit-Wonders but they had TWO for Pete's sake.

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget because I know most of the country is desert and people really only live along the length of the Nile, but a LOT of people live along the Nile.  I was actually worried it would be higher than third in population, but the 90% desert made me stick with it.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, teebax said:

Cars and one hit wonders? A board made for me. Naturally they tackled both categories at the end. I was screaming at the television. 

I was shocked that I ran the cars category - I pay no attention. But for some reason they all popped into mind.

13 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I thought including The Waitresses as a One-Hit-Wonder was inappropriate. Besides "I Know What Boys Like", their 1982 single, "Christmas Wrapping" out-charted it in the UK and stays that way to this day. I suppose there's some definition of "hit" used to designate One-Hit-Wonders but they had TWO for Pete's sake.

They probably use the Billboard US chart - I imagine the list of one hit wonders would be seriously reduced if they went global.

• Love 4

I really like Gilbert, which makes me amazed he has won more than one game. *knockwood* I totally forgot Egypt is in Africa, so FJ was a complete DUH moment for me. I seem to be getting dumber as the winter goes on.

• Love 6

The only reason I got the Howard Carter DD is because I've missed it on Jeopardy about a dozen times. It's now burned into my brain that Tut=Carter. I also got the Fulbright DD.

For TS I got Volkswagen but mistook The Waitresses for The Motels. Both had a brunette leas and maybe their videos were similar to me back in the day.

FJ was an instaget, though I did wonder about Algeria for a moment. 

Yay Gilbert! but I blame him for us not seeing that last clue (“I Used to Make That Car for X” when "Car for X" would have sufficed). I liked Alex too but the lady on the end was putting me to sleep.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got January 6, Burns and Steinbeck, Carter, and The Waitresses, and I did remember that the word “night” was in the FSF title, but couldn’t come up with the full title in time. I got hung up on the west coast of Africa and thought desert—Timbuktu—Mali. My knowledge of African geography really sucks, though, and I am not even sure Mali is as far west  as I picture the map in my head. Time to look it up...

I was surprised when he got Robert Burns, but not Steinbeck. I got Steinbeck instantly (I also read "Of Mice and Men") but forgot Robert Burns. My English teacher would be upset with me.  Got January 6th, Howard Carter, the Waitresses, and Volkswagen.  I had a mental lapse and said 'Lonely is the night" but that's a song by Billy Squier. Guessed Egypt as I vaguely remembered a news announcer mentioned Egypt 85 million population during the Arab Spring in the early 2010s and knew 90% desert seemed right for Egypt. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I'm sure they are using US charts only, but yeah. I heard a local DJ talking about his "off-beat" or something Christmas show this year, and he said, "I used to play Christmas Wrapping!" like, it used to be obscure, but is now mainstream. So it seems like it wasn't a hit originally but has grown over the years.

• Love 1

I'm glad Gilbert is still around. I was worried Friday - Alex & Alisha were both off to a great start. Honestly, no challengers on Thursday or Friday's games bugged, so although I want  Gilbert to remain champion, none of the others would have been too horrible. Julie was toeing the annoying line, but didn't cross it, and I loved her top. 

Thursday TS I got were The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Turn of the Screw, tulip, creature feature, Queen Mab, Nice (Julie's missed DD), Miles Standish, stereo. I couldn't believe that they had to id Beethoven's 5th from a sound clip, and then, Rebecca missed it! I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she misspoke. Never would have gotten FJ because I do not really think of Amazon as being a streaming service, so my mind went to Netflix.

Excited to see my karaoke song as a category on Friday..lol I guess Gilbert forgot the silver/gold category name when he answered bronze for the Michael Phelps clue. 

Friday TS were Howard Carter (I know I am an archeology geek, but was surprised Alex missed it; maybe Gilbert or Alisha would have been able to answer correctly had it not been a DD), Astor, Jan 6th*, Burns & Steinbeck (Gilbert's missed DD), Tender is the Night, VW, The Waitresses. FJ was an instaget.

*Alisha's guess of the 12th ended up being prophetic because the game aired 1/12. I figured she was thinking of 12th Night & thinking day #1 was 1/1, or maybe they are told the expected air date prior to the game so she went with that? 

Loved that Gilbert promised 1% of his winnings to his kids, and then Alex gave the amount he owes them after the show. I would love if he continues to give a running total as Gilbert (hopefully) continues to win. 

On 1/11/2018 at 7:06 PM, ClareWalks said:

The lady guessing "Eminem" for the picture of Jack White has become a meme on Twitter among my friends. Better guesses: Johnny Depp, Michael Jackson, and "the mask from V for Vendetta."

LOL @ mask from V for Vendetta!

On 1/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, Sharpie66 said:

was really surprised when Gilbert took forever to come up with Napoleon. 

He finally heard me yelling from my living room! 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've been an Amazon customer for so long, I still have the insulated beverage holder they sent me as a gift. 

We have/had one too. I will have to look for it; I had completely forgotten about that. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

*Alisha's guess of the 12th ended up being prophetic because the game aired 1/12. I figured she was thinking of 12th Night & thinking day #1 was 1/1, or maybe they are told the expected air date prior to the game so she went with that?

I believe they are told the date, and I thought she looked like she was straining a bit to remember it for her answer.

• Love 3

Alisha's full name, when it was said at the beginning of the show, was beautiful and melodic. Does anyone know the ethnicity of her last name? If the entire language is like that, I want to hear more! It was Alisha Mathalikunnel.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 5
On 1/13/2018 at 0:44 AM, Tabasco Cat said:

I looked up chart positions for both the US and the UK as I thought that even "No Guilt" might have charted.  It turns out that "I Know What Boys Like" was their only single to chart in the US topping out at #62 and "Christmas Wrapping" was their only single to chart in the UK topping out at #45 making them one hit wonders on both sides of the Atlantic. ?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Alisha's full name, when it was said at the beginning of the show, was beautiful and melodic. Does anyone know the ethnicity of her last name? If the entire language is like that, I want to hear more! It was Alisha Mathalikunnel.

It sounded Hawaiian to me, but seeing the spelling it doesn't look Hawaiian (hope that makes sense). In any case, beautiful name for a beautiful woman. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
On 1/12/2018 at 11:23 AM, MooCat Pretzel said:

I thought board-hopping was my biggest annoyance, but I find myself being super frustrated with slowness and the inability to clear the board of clues.  Between the clues being longer to read, the contestants feeling like they need to buzz in for everything and get it wrong, to just general TS, Jeopardy has been a tedious watch lately.  I am hoping a few contestants can kick some tail next week to rid me of this feeling.  I will even let them board-hop if they can get the spark going!

I think I hate both board hopping and clues left on the board pretty equally, but the last couple weeks have shown me that what irks me most is the dumb guess, or even worse buzzing in to try and think your way into an answer.   I don't know why it's so bothersome; I guess because it wastes time on top of being stupid.

I figured Alisha went with January 12 for Epiphany going off of the 12 Days of Christmas and just took the wrong starting date, but her guess is less goofy if she was working off of the show's airdate, so I'll give her that.

Add me to the people surprised Gilbert missed the Steinbeck half of that DD.  We were definitely taught Of Mice and Men in school, but I don't think we studied the poet Burns; he seems less like common knowledge.  Also I can't think of the poet Burns without thinking of Bertie Wooster.

I gave my forehead the biggest smack when Egypt was revealed as the FJ answer.  I got wrapped up thinking about South Africa and the Kalahari Desert.  Sorry, forehead.  And I knew Nigeria was #1 but I had no idea Ethiopia had so many people.

I too liked the tally of how much Gilbert owes his kids at the end of the episode.  I want him to string together a few more wins and give those kids a payday even Alex will be proud of.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 7

I love that Gilbert's daughter is named Tibby.  So cute.  I figured Egypt because of Lawrence of Arabia (which makes no sense but it worked).  I never think of southern Africa as desert, so came up with northern Africa and ruled out Morocco.  And how did Gilbert miss Steinbeck?????

• Love 3

OMG!!! How? How is it possible that 2 contestants missed FJ?!!!!  One had no answer (in excusable) and one had a "bad pronoun". The moment you saw "play" & "Booth" you should have gotten it!!! 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, illdoc said:

and one had a "bad pronoun".

That scared me, because I was sure I had it, and after his reveal I thought I messed it up.

Turns out he messed it up :)

• Love 5

I had no answer for FJ except, "What was the play Lincoln attended the night he got shot?"  I can't even be certain that I ever knew the name of the play.

I did have to laugh when Alex realized he had "Steve Tyler" as contestants.  It cracked me up, too.  However, I was glad Tyler calmed down during one of the breaks.  He was killing me with the flailing and the wild-ass guesses.

I can't believe no one got Casablanca!  Classic movie, and one of my all-time faves.  Less surprising was the missed DD of Bourbon Street -- if you've never read Ann Rice, that information wouldn't be helpful, and "Moon Over Bourbon Street" was one of Sting's lesser known songs from his Dream of the Blue Turtles album.  Which I love.  I also got the TS of eddy, lanolin, and S.E. Hinton.

• Love 10

If Alex wouldn't have wasted 25 seconds or so jokingly telling us that he doesn't want to lose his job to the likes of Iain Armitage, perhaps we could have heard one more clue in the "Whose Album" category.  Not clearing the board drives me crazy, especially when the remaining clues often seem to be in categories of interest to me, tonight music and movies (DJ.)

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

If Alex wouldn't have wasted 25 seconds or so jokingly telling us that he doesn't want to lose his job to the likes of Iain Armitage, perhaps we could have heard one more clue in the "Whose Album" category.  Not clearing the board drives me crazy, especially when the remaining clues often seem to be in categories of interest to me, tonight music and movies (DJ.)

Yes!  Lately the board is not being cleared, but tonight wasn’t due to the contestants’ play - it was Alex’s long asides!  Aggravating.  Tyler certainly calmed down the second half and made me nervous, but so happy Gilbert continues his streak.  He’s everything I love in a contestant!

• Love 7