Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

First, yes, I also said expel. Second, I believe the answer was "respire", not respirate. At first she said respirate, but before Alex could rule her incorrect she changed it to respire (wasn't it the "P in the middle" category?)

You're right. I have edited my OP. 

5 hours ago, teebax said:

Umm, the best thing ever? Be cool, eat a Rita's!!! I took my girlfriend, a native Arizonan, home with me last summer for my sister's wedding, and she asked the same thing. Then I bought her a Rita's. She stopped thinking it was stupid. (She also now understands why I complain about the cheese steaks in Arizona, and also why people in my hometown still drink tap water. Oh, and also why I hated Mexican food before I moved to AZ. Mexican food in PA is an abomination.

Neither did I. But I knew the answer, so I wasn't looking that closely at the map. 

It sounds similar to a New Orleans snow-ball (but maybe with a smoother texture), which are so very awesome. My favorite flavor is chocolate with evaporated milk. Fun fact: My cousin once made a strawberry snow-ball for Maddox Jolie-Pitt. Angelina questioned him about artificial flavors & dyes in the syrup, while Maddox was munching on Cheetos (talk about your artificial flavors & dyes!) 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6

I think expel is the more correct answer as it unambiguously means to force out whereas respire can mean breathing in and out  You do expel air out from the lungs. It fits too with the Middle P. They would have accepted expel, I'm sure. My guess is that they would have taken respire or expel. 

I agree. The second part of the clue was something about putting/forcing/keeping something out, unrelated to respiration, so I think "expel" was the better answer.

• Love 3

I got Nantucket,  but I was a huge fan of the TV Show Wings,   so I instantly think of that when I hear of  a Massachusetts island. 

When I saw the BW  to color TV shows,  I said The Andy Griffith show had better be one of the five,  so I was happy . 

I am a janitor at the Y, and we use Cintas,  so I liked that answer. 

• Love 5
On 12/23/2017 at 0:37 AM, Mystery Author said:

Good grief. Here we go again. You guys are going to kick me off the forum.

Teebax, she wasn't "surprised" every time she was right. She was thrilled. And "every time" is a wee bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Especially since she was The Only One to get FJ! And holy shit, what a FJ! wager.

No one is going to kick you off the forum for having an opinion. We're all allowed to like or dislike whomever we want. It's not that serious. If you like her, enjoy her. I found her a bit too much, although I acknowledged her gutsy wagers and said I would have liked her if she'd tone it down. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

When I saw the BW  to color TV shows,  I said The Andy Griffith show had better be one of the five,  so I was happy . 

That show was my first thought too. I wonder why they didn't just ask for the show name, but instead for the town.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

That show was my first thought too. I wonder why they didn't just ask for the show name, but instead for the town.

I think maybe because The Andy Griffith Show morphed into Mayberry RFD toward the end. I'm not sure which one went into color, but it was 1968 when the title changed (so far as I can tell from IMDB).

• Love 2

When I think of the perfect Jeopardy contestant, Donna and Austin don't even enter that race. My clear winner is LaKedra. She beats them all in every way. I wanted her to stay all year long. But, obviously, I didn't get my wish.

• Love 10

Donna is someone I think I would like very much in real life (and be a little scared of, based on her bold wagering!)

The analogy of her Jeopardy behavior reminded me of churches. :-)  When I've gone to church with certain of my friends, there's a lot of "audience participation" from the congregation, a lot of "amens" and "got that right" during the sermons. The services last as long as they last - if the choir is getting approval, they might sing a few extra songs. The pastor once was so moved by the number of mothers in the pews that he had them all bring their babies up to the front and introduce themselves.

Now at my church, services last an hour. If it goes any longer, there's a lot of looking at watches and clearing of throats. The congregation speaks only when they are told to by bolded type in the bulletin. There is rarely anything impromptu or unexpected. It sounds monotonous, but it's comfortable and familiar.

I think Jeopardy contestants adhere to my usual church style - stay on script, speak only when expected. But that Donna, she's going to a completely different kind of Jeopardy church!

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Hopefully my Christmas wish will come true when I tune in tomorrow night and find Donna is gone

According to the jeopardy fan site (no Jeopardy here either due to basketball), your wish came true.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

We had J! here and FJ was an instaget. We got it the minute it was on the screen.

I had a bit too much wine, so the best I could do was “the guy who wrote Alice in wonderland!”  My sister then said Lewis Carroll, and then my mom goes “wasn’t it CS Lewis?” ;)

• Love 3

Well, I made the mistake of lying down "for just a minute" waiting for Jeopardy! to come on and dozed off!  Bah humbug!

I woke up just in time for FJ (which was an instaget) to see Donna lose.  Was she the annoying chatty cathy she was on Friday?  My guess is yes.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Well, I made the mistake of lying down "for just a minute" waiting for Jeopardy! to come on and dozed off!  Bah humbug!

I woke up just in time for FJ (which was an instaget) to see Donna lose.  Was she the annoying chatty cathy she was on Friday?  My guess is yes.

Oh dear Lord! She was even more vocal, and to us, irritating.

• Love 3

We got half of Jeopardy due to football.

FJ was an instaget for me, and it doesn’t hurt my feelings that Donna lost.  But since I only saw half the game, I have to reserve judgment on the new champ.

Do we need to add C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll to the Sinclair Lewis/Upton Sinclair confusion?

• Love 5

No one is going to kick you off the forum for having an opinion.

I know that :)  I was only teasing, or as Mr. Author -- who is Aussie -- would say, "stirring."

Sorry to see Donna go. She was fun. Wasn't her FJ wager a wee bit high? Did she have to wager than much?

• Love 2

I thought Donna had toned it down to an acceptable level.  And she hugged the other contestants at the end of the game - that was nice; they seemed to like it.

I liked all three contestants today so am pleased with the new champ.  She looked so surprised that she won.

The only ts's I remember getting were lumberjack and Peter the Great.

Insta-wrong on FJ - I said James Barrie and never thought of Lewis Carroll - or even C.S. Lewis.

• Love 2

I did notice that Donna a couple times congratulated the young lady next to her, on her DD and on her win, as well as getting one right that Donna got wrong in regular play (no, I don't remember the questions) and I thought she was a very gracious and generous person to play with, as if she was genuinely happy for the other contestant.

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, rubaco said:

I'm not a fan of Donna's constant chatter either, saber5055, you're not alone. But when Alex said that her total was the single-day record so far this season, I said, "Ha! In your face, Austin Rogers!" out loud to no one but my cats, so there's that. 

I didn't notice any chatter, but I wasn't watching by myself and wasn't in the room for most of the game so that probably 'splains it.  Put me in the plus column for anyone who had a bigger single-day total than hipster douchebag.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Tunia said:

Did the champ not notice that the Allegheny River was already delineated on the shown map?  That was a "Duh".

I didn't see the map, but said Monongahela River because when I visited a friend in Pittsburgh, we rode the Monongahela Incline.

But I don't remember Austin being annoying throughout the game.

Oh he was.  Absolutely.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No Jeopardy today, football here instead. *yawn* Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all PTV Jeopardy! posters (and lurkers)! Stay warm and happy -- see ya'll tomorrow, I hope!

We eat late on Christmas, so I was having dessert at Jeopardy time and have no idea if it was on or not.  Pooey.  I would've gotten FJ.

• Love 1

Count me in with those glad Donna is gone.  All I could think was that I couldn't imagine being in the same movie theater with her constant commentary (though less on monday than on friday)

d

• Love 3

My DVR recorded the show at 9 pm.

For FJ I considered Lewis Carroll then thought about The Wizard of Oz and settled on Baum.

For TSs I got GW Bush, The Jackal, lumberjack, and the Rose Parade -- not sure if that last one would have been accepted or if you had to say Tournament of Roses.

I couldn't remember The Hound.

I was ready for one of the one-word book titles to be Atonement. I don't know why that's the first book that came to mind.

• Love 3

Well, crumb bums, everyone got to see Jeopardy yesterday but me. I guess that's the equivalent of coal in my stocking since I have been sort of a Scrooge all this year. I kept checking the tv listings and flipping channels all night and nothing. Bah Humbug! I'll be back later today though, as Jeopardy IS listed for today -- hooray.

• Love 2
On 12/24/2017 at 4:49 PM, saber5055 said:

When I think of the perfect Jeopardy contestant, Donna and Austin don't even enter that race. My clear winner is LaKedra. She beats them all in every way. I wanted her to stay all year long. But, obviously, I didn't get my wish.

Wishing there were a Fan Favorite Tournament, for which we could vote for contestants.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I know that :)  I was only teasing, or as Mr. Author -- who is Aussie -- would say, "stirring."

Sorry to see Donna go. She was fun. Wasn't her FJ wager a wee bit high? Did she have to wager than much?

No, she didn't. I think she was affected by Donna's agressive wagering. She seemed like she bet more than her natural inclination on her DD, too.

14 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

That was a stange betting situation on FJ, wasn't it?  Normally I don't try to do the math, but it wasn't a runaway.  I'm guessing the new winner was just afraid of the huge amount she would have had to do to win - something like 10,801?

I think Donna proved my point from last week about her being bad at mental math, which isn't good for such an aggressive bettor. If she had kept her bet low, say under $5000, she could easily have won. She was also hurt by not getting either of the Daily Doubles in DJ. Betting the way she did, considering how easy they were (rib cage, really?), she could have made it a real runaway.

Anyway, I liked her and I'm sorry she's one and done. At least she won a bunch of money.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3

The writers gave Alex a Christmas present with that France in Your Pants category.  He must have been loving every word in it.

For FJ, I would have written What is the Yukon?  I bet they would have ruled me correct.

• Love 14

Thanks Mondrianyone for the YouTube tip. I watched the Christmas episode, and there was Donna, all commenting and commentating just like the day before. The best was when Donna missed the first question, and the gal in the center also missed it. Donna pipes up with: "That's GOOD!" WTH? She was also jiving back at Alex, which actually I didn't mind since I like Alex less than I don't like Donna. And yeah, Santa will bring me coal lumps again next year for snarking on Poor Donna.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Man, that poor dude was kinda fucked over by the judges I thought. Territories not acceptable. Ouch.

I would've stopped at Yukon myself, but I felt bad for him. 

• Love 12

Bummed that I didn't get to see Donna lose last night.  Must check out YouTube.

Felt bad for that poor guy, even though he annoyed me for some reason.  

Don't like the new champ because she annoyed me a lot more.  

I'm just a little ray of sunshine tonight.

On the plus side, FJ was an instaget, but I also would have stopped at Yukon.

• Love 11

I found Natalie the only tolerable contestant, so of course, that annoying buzzer masher with the Valley Girl uptick won.  Yuk.

OMG!  Alex and the France in Your Pants category!  Make it stop!

I got "the more, the merrier", electroencephologram, Tales of the South Pacific, and Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

FJ was an instaget, but I stopped at Yukon.

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I found Natalie the only tolerable contestant, so of course, that annoying buzzer masher with the Valley Girl uptick won.  Yuk.

Yes to all of this...hoping with all I have that the new champ goes down tomorrow.

• Love 8

ah gee, i really liked valley girl...mainly because i couldn't stand the guy or the old champ...on a shallow note, her head was really large for her body.  now i'm really going to burn in hell for that comment!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

For FJ, I would have written What is the Yukon?  I bet they would have ruled me correct.

That's what I thought too.  "As a response to new developments there, this territory was carved out of the Northwest Territories in 1898."  So "Yukon" by itself would have been fine, but the addition of "territories" tripped him up.  Darn it.  I liked him -- he must have watched a lot more TV than just sports.  The Farrah Fawcett movie is old! 

Don't care for Amy Li -- the occasional vocal fry, up-speak, and buzzer-bashing -- but she went to Wellesley (and goes back every five years!), so of course she knew the difference between Handel and Bach.  (My reverse snobbery is showing.)

• Love 8