Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, ABay said:

I couldn't think of de Palma quickly enough and had no idea about the runny yolks thing

I'd never heard the thing about runny yolks either, but I figured blood had to be what Hitchcock would say.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And he seemed so crushed when one of his first responses (I don't remember which one) was wrong.

Was it chickens? I know when he said this he seemed confident.

I got Calaveras, Scrivener, and Randy Travis (though I nearly said Randy Jackson). Also, I said As I lay me down to sleep. Maybe I conflated the prayer with the Faulkner book.

I came up with Merkel quickly but kept trying to think what other European woman it could possibly be. 

Yay, Kyle!

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got Calaveras, Scrivener, and Randy Travis (though I nearly said Randy Jackson). Also, I said As I lay me down to sleep. Maybe I conflated the prayer with the Faulkner book.

I came up with Merkel quickly but kept trying to think what other European woman it could possibly be. 

The Faulkner book is "As I Lay Dying."

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Sophie B. Hawkins song  "As I lay me down" the next two words are "to sleep."

As for famous European women that would have been recognized like that, it almost certainly had to be Chancellor Merkel. 

• Love 2

FJ today was an instaget for me, too.  And I agree about her, @mojoween!

Me, three.

Merkl as FJ was easy peasy given all the talk this past week about who would be on Time's new cover.

The New York Times called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named "Author of the Year," but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass :-)

• Love 17
11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

The Faulkner book is "As I Lay Dying."

Oh I know that. I just supposed mixing in the Faulkner title was the reason I said AS I lay me down to sleep instead of NOW. 

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Sophie B. Hawkins song  "As I lay me down" the next two words are "to sleep."

No I'm not sure. :) I had to google the song and listen to remind myself what it was. It's possible that was stuck in my head somewhere.  

8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

The New York Times called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named "Author of the Year," but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass :-)

:D It was probably a setup anyway.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:
17 hours ago, fireice13 said:

I think they should have ruled that one contestant correct for her answer of the French and Indian War. That is the Seven Years' War; it's just what it is called in the US. 

It gave the dates of 1756-1763, the French Indian War started in 1754 so it would not be correct.

Plus, he may not have fought in North America at all, only in Europe.

16 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I forgot about that runny-yolks clue.  I said "snot," knowing it had to be wrong.  And then I laughed like an idiot imagining Alfred Hitchcock saying the word "snot."  Good eeee-vening.

I'm curious as to why you're bitter at Damon Lindelof, @ABay.  I have a guess, but obviously I'm wrong a lot.  Which rhymes with "snot."  Which does not stand for "pool."

Oh shoot, I said snot for that clue as well, so that means I only got 3 of 5 for Hitchcock.

I suspect ABAY is bitter about Lindelof for the same reason of lot of us Lost viewers are: the crappy ending of the series.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I had Flavor Flav and John Paul Jones (an 18th century naval commander who later went on to play bass for Led Zeppelin).

I couldn't remember Flavor Flav, but I actually read the bio of JPJ so I was shouting that at the screen.  It was a great read, but JPJ had some less than pleasant personal qualities of which I would've preferred to remain ignorant; one hates to see one's heroes diminished.

(Plus, love the "went on to play bass for Led Zeppelin".  Reminds me of a friend referring to "Graham Greene, British author turned Native American actor".)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I suspect ABAY is bitter about Lindelof for the same reason of lot of us Lost viewers are: the crappy ending of the series.

I was one who wasn't bitter - mostly because it was in the neighborhood of what I'd imagined in the first place (I'll cop to having a lousy imagination, though. LOL)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was one who wasn't bitter - mostly because it was in the neighborhood of what I'd imagined in the first place (I'll cop to having a lousy imagination, though. LOL)

It wouldn't have been so bad if the producers hadn't spent almost 6 seasons saying the island wasn't purgatory only to have them all end up in a sort of purgatory anyway.  But that's an argument for a different topic, methinks.

• Love 4

Well, bummer.  After middle woman calmed down a bit, I was rooting for her or Kyle.  Ben needs to chill out a bit with the buzzer.

Overall a decent game, though.  Not too many TS that I remember.  I did get bronc and Edward Lear, but I could have sat here all night and never come up with FJ.  I guess I don't watch enough prime-time TV.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, bummer.  After middle woman calmed down a bit, I was rooting for her or Kyle.  Ben needs to chill out a bit with the buzzer.

Overall a decent game, though.  Not too many TS that I remember.  I did get bronc and Edward Lear, but I could have sat here all night and never come up with FJ.  I guess I don't watch enough prime-time TV.

I've never heard of her.......but I almost turned off the TV Ben was irritating me so much.  

• Love 1

Two days in a row a horse question is a TS: bronc. I knew FJ, it was an instaget since every time I flip the channel there she is, either a new show or one of a zillion year's worth of reruns. That show is on 24/7 in my market. I was disappointed Kyle did not win his fifth game. It must be a bit depressing to ALMOST make it to TOC. Plus I could have answered for him when Alex asked if he was a boy scout. No person anywhere has ever looked more like a boy scout than Kyle.

I might add I have never ever watch a single episode of Mariska Hargitay's show and don't plan to. Ever.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

but I could have sat here all night and never come up with FJ.  I guess I don't watch enough prime-time TV.

37 minutes ago, secnarf said:

FJ was an instaget for me - not many long-running cop shows with a female lead.

I was sad the champ lost, though.

Yeah, tonight's FJ really proves the point that if the question is in your wheelhouse, the answer is a snap!  I said Mariska Hargitay after the first three words of the clue, yet Kyle was totally stumped and he's the one smart enough to be a 4-day Jeopardy! champ. 

deemac said:   

I've never heard of her.......but I almost turned off the TV Ben was irritating me so much.  

She's lovely, as the daughter of Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay might be expected to be!  Good genes.

ETA:

From Wikipedia:  Hargitay was born at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California, the daughter of actress and 1950s-era sex symbol Jayne Mansfield. Her father was the Hungarian-born former Mr. Universe Mickey Hargitay.[

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4

Oh my god, that new champion was awful.  I understand being nervous, but he could hardly spit out his answer even during the interview.  Slamming the buzzer. 

I knew who was being referenced in FJ but could not think of her name.  I watch a lot of TV, but I don't watch Law and Order or really any of those crime procedurals like that.  Not my cup of tea.  I kept thinking Julie Hagerty, but I know she is the woman from the Airplane movies, couldn't think of that woman's name. 

Also the former champ, forget his name, just lost by bad betting. I know he would not have won anyway because he did not know FJ, but he put himself in a position where it didn't matter.  If he knew it or not, he was going to lose.  He got the daily double on the last clue and did not bet enough to put himself in first place.  At that point, it was over. 

• Love 6

Well, I rallied yesterday, but forgot to post.

I got Calaversas County, Hawaiian Islands, and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.

Merkel was an instaget.

????

Today's game may send me into a relapse.  I'm sorry Kyle won't be in the TOC.  Ben, the buzzer mashing weirdo, is the first contestant since the regular games started back up that I can say I can't stand.  Yuk!

I got bronc and Bali.

FJ was an instaget.  I've been binge watching L&O SVU all day from my deathbed.

Off to guzzle some more cough medicine.

• Love 10

Joe’s first two wrong answers were so wrong they gave me residual embarrassment for him, but I give him mad props for the Ivy League acceptances.

I felt the same. I don't know WTF Alex was thinking by asking whether he graduated. I hope he wasn't trying to imply that Joe's acceptances weren't legitimately earned.

Angela Merkel and Mariska Hargitay were both instagets for me. Even though L&O: SVU jumped the shark years ago, I think Mariska Hargitay is pretty cool.

Poor Kyle... I really really hope Ben is a one and done.

Glad you're feeling better, Carpe!

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3

Fun fact: Mariska Hargitay is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield. Hubba hubba. I got FJ immediately even though I don't watch Law and Order. I do watch a lot of TV, though.

Edited to add this GLORIOUS photo of Sophia Loren giving Jayne's cleavage the side-eye. Reportedly Sophia was "afraid they were gonna fall out" LOL

loren_mansfield_better.jpg

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 8

Yeah, I'm sorry Kyle didn't do better. 

The only TS I got was Bali.

I thought FJ was pretty easy. I knew it was Olivia from L&O:SVU, but I wasn't quite sure how to spell her first name. No problem! Not needed! So I just put down her last name: Hartigay. DOH!

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Ben made me anxious just watching him. He probably burned 500 calories with all the shifting and fidgeting. Take it down a notch or 20, Ben. 

I think Ben might have Tourette's.  He was ticking like crazy.  (Contrary to what you see on TV & in movies, most people with that syndrome do not have coprolalia.)

As for FJ, I did the "try to guess it when the category is revealed" game and said, "Mariska Hargitay!   Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if it really is her?"

And sure enough.....!  First time I've gotten one of those right in a while.

I think we've seen every L&O: SVU about a million times!

• Love 6

I was almost thinking Ben was on the autism spectrum or something. But maybe just nerves.

After it was mentioned in this forum, I paid attention to Kyle during the introductions. All that forced smiling! So much blinking!

• Love 2

I think the Jeopardy writers don't know what Can't Feel My Face is about... 

I got gulf of Alaska, anvil, and Into the Water. FJ was an instaget. 

I agree about Kyle's bad wagering, but I wasn't bothered by Ben. He seems to have a condition, so I give his tics a pass. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Ben made me anxious just watching him. He probably burned 500 calories with all the shifting and fidgeting. Take it down a notch or 20, Ben. 

Totally agree. He also had the single worst interview story that I think I've ever seen. I don't have anything interesting in my life either but his was just so boring and anti-climactic. I would be more sympathetic if he weren't such a flailer with the signaling device, even though I shouldn't be so judgey.

• Love 3

I watched the first few episodes of SVU because I like Belzer. But Hargitay's horrible acting and the icky subject matter forced me to never watch again.  Sorry, Belz, but I just can't take that show. I suppose Hargitay's acting has improved over the years, but I still can't watch. Now - original recipie L&O and even L&O Criminal Intent are among my favorite TV shows, but not SVU.

I once saw a "home movie" of Mansfield at her swimming pool at home and her hair wasn't platinum - she was her original brunette. Only then did I notice how much Mariska looks like her mom. The platinum hair threw me off, but as a brunette, they are unmistakably related.

Yeah, that was the dumbest interview story. A blind date that went nowhere.  Big whoop. Ya gotta feel sorry for the guy if that's the most interesting thing that's happened to him.

• Love 4

I think the story would have come across better if he had emphasized that he met his wife after she read about his blind date. (Was that what happened?) The way I took it was that having been on that blind date helped him meet his wife. Is that how it went?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, that was the dumbest interview story. A blind date that went nowhere.  Big whoop. Ya gotta feel sorry for the guy if that's the most interesting thing that's happened to him.

Can't wait to hear his interview story on Monday.

• Love 3

Is Ben the clickiest clicker ever? I attempted to not notice... however it's so LOUD... especially after someone else has already beat him to the buzzer, Alex has said their name, they're in process of answering, and he's STILL CLICKING.

Hopefully it was nerves (or something temporary) and he'll have calmed down by the next episode. He's certainly got the knowledge to go far... but dang, that clickclickclickclickclickclicking has to go away!

I'm gonna miss Kyle ... I enjoyed his etiquette as a contestant, especially the way he held the buzzer out of sight.

• Love 7

I will miss Kyle, & hate that he missed potentially being in the ToC by one game. I hope Ben can calm down & enjoy himself. I think it is nerves more than any tic or condition. 

TS I got were compliance & The Doors. I always thought that the title to the Cypress Hill song was Insane in the Membrane, but google tells me otherwise. The things you learn almost 25 years later...

FJ wasn't an instaget since it took me a second or 2 to realize that beat referred to a cop and not a musician, but once I was settled on cop, it was instant. 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:55 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Today's game may send me into a relapse.  I'm sorry Kyle won't be in the TOC.  Ben, the buzzer mashing weirdo, is the first contestant since the regular games started back up that I can say I can't stand.  Yuk!

No relapses young lady! Take care of yourself so you can suffer through Ben's franticness just like the rest of us. 

On 12/8/2017 at 11:06 PM, burner said:

After it was mentioned in this forum, I paid attention to Kyle during the introductions. All that forced smiling! So much blinking!

His smile doesn't reach his eyes. I hope it is nerves, and not that he has no joy in his life. He reminds me of a young Victor Garber. 

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think the story would have come across better if he had emphasized that he met his wife after she read about his blind date. (Was that what happened?) The way I took it was that having been on that blind date helped him meet his wife. Is that how it went?

He didn't say if he met his current girlfriend (I think GF & not wife) as a result of his blind date story, or if it was a conversation after they met. 

• Love 6

I have a very high threshold for contestants bothering me (helps that I usually don't actually look at the TV screen), but Ben was very much stressing me out with his attempts at ringing the buzzer. I thought he was going to punch himself in the jaw at one point.

I liked LaKedra and I am glad she won. I hope she does well.

FJ threw me - I initially said yin and yang, but then focused too much on the colours, and said fire and water.

• Love 11

FJ was another instaget for me, and so much so that I didn't believe I could possibly be right.  It just seemed way too obvious to me, even though I've mostly seen that symbol in black and white.

I would like to thank the game of Risk for my knowing the Kamchatka Peninsula.  Always a highly valued territory.  I also got carbolic acid, and Guinan.  Ben's guess of Data for that one was pretty bad -- Data's an android, not an alien, and while he did occasionally tend bar, he wasn't really the bartender.

I have to admit I felt kind of bad for the guy from Charlottesville for not being fast enough on the buzzer for Monticello!  I like Lakedra, too, but am glad Charlottesville guy got enough by the end so that it wasn't a runaway.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, rubaco said:

LaKedra! She rocked (and awesome name, too). Did they say what kind of doctor she is? Finally a champ I'm psyched to watch.

I hope she'll be champ for a long time, and we'll learn a lot about her.

• Love 11

The colors in FJ led me far away from yin and yang.  I briefly considered it and then didn’t think it could be right.

Even when I wasn’t looking I could hear Ben’s violent clicking.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7

I thought Lakedra was a plant physician at first. One whose real job was to whip out a straitjacket and get Ben into it quickly. There hasn't been that much fist pumping since Pee Wee Herman went to the movies in Sarasota back in the '90s. Yikes. He did remind me of Matt from a couple of seasons ago. Probably somewhere on the spectrum.

I couldn't really concentrate on the game because Ben was a huge distraction. I can't imagine standing next to him in the studio, that would be like a nightmare come true. He was still clicking away while answering the 2nd DD in the DJ round! Shortly after that, with the Great Pumpkin question, he was pounding on the podium and I thought he was going to hurt himself or damage the set.

• Love 11

LaKedra is awesome!  I liked Charlie a lot, too, and give him huge props for self-restraint.  I would have lept on Ben and beaten him to death with his buzzer before the first commercial break.  I wonder if anyone on the Jeopardy staff tried to reign him in.  I love that he flamed out.

The only TS I got was London.

FJ was an instaget, but the colors almost made me change my mind.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, jaybird2 said:

i think he's autistic.  i noticed it last week.

I liked everyone tonight, including Ben, whom I liked Friday.  His gestures and how he moved, and sometimes how he looked like he couldn't stop his hand from moving made me think he might have Parkinson's.  I know someone who has it, and he sometimes struggles with his body in similar ways.  I can't imagine how much extra stress not being able to control your own body would put on someone trying to play Jeopardy!  I'm sure the contestant coordinators talked with everyone about the issue ahead of time, if that's what it is.  Charlie and LaKedra both seemed not to pay it any mind, as if they knew what to expect.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 5

I found Ben more distracting today than last week, but I think he has something physiologically going on with him, so I'm giving him a pass.  Hooray for a black female champ. It's been forever, and I can tell she's watched the show for a long time. I watched with my dad too, so I loved her story. 

I didn't log a single TS. I thought of the FJ answer immediately but changed to sun and moon based on the  colors. Boo hiss for me. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

LaKedra is awesome!  I liked Charlie a lot, too, and give him huge props for self-restraint.  I would have lept on Ben and beaten him to death with his buzzer before the first commercial break.  I wonder if anyone on the Jeopardy staff tried to reign him in.  I love that he flamed out.

The only TS I got was London.

FJ was an instaget, but the colors almost made me change my mind.

I got FJ, too, but was oblivious to any traditional color combination. If you asked me to name the colors traditionally associated with the Yin & Yang symbol, I would have guessed red and white. When I saw aquamarine and orange I was like, "Who is Mr. Met?" but I knew he wasn't ancient enough.

• Love 5

I agree with Ailianna about Ben. Today I watched instead of just listening so saw a lot of movement that seemed uncontrollable. I give the guy a big pass. He also was so upset he lost, but hey, winning even one Jeopardy game puts you above the hoi polloi (which was a Jeopardy answer a few days ago). I am now fully invested in LaKedra, I love, love, love everything about her and was stressed at the end when she wasn't a runaway. The FJ category left me cold, but the answer was an instaget, so I crossed my fingers it also was for LaKedra. I hope she stays a long LONG time.

I got a kick out of the Dogs In Hats category since all but one asked for the dog's breed. The odd one out asked for the country of origin since it was highly doubtful anyone on that show knows there are two Corgis, Pembroke and Cardigan, and it was a Pembroke Welsh Corgi in the photo. Instead they got the easy answer of "Wales."

• Love 8