Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Of course Larry should've have been more gracious and appreciative of Jenny's family, and it was painful to watch him be so oblivious to their feelings. But good manners are a two-way street, and I don't think seeing a guest so visibly nervous and uncomfortable should prompt a host to draw attention to him and immediately think he is being intentionally disrespectful, especially when he is so clearly out of his element.

Flashbacks to Mike and Aya 2 (or 3?) seasons ago.  The plump guy from the middle of nowhere America and the young Russian woman who spoke perfect English?  When they arrived at Family Mike's house, she refused to eat a bite, saying she just didn't like to eat in front of others.  Mother Mike was hurt, and kept pushing in a motherly way.  There was much talk on the boards - How dare she?  How incredibly rude.  It was just normal American food, she should eat it and be grateful.  

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, jnymph said:

Why wouldn't Larry research,  "typical Phillipino dinners/gatherings/traditions," etc;  prior to spending his 401 K?     Just sayin'.   

That would require some intelligence and forethought on his part.  I'm not sure what led you to believe that Larry has either. ?

Edited by DragonFlyzz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, MrSmith said:

I know where you're coming from. Until recently, I had very strict rules about what kinds of food could touch what other kinds of food on my plate. This would lead me to taking only certain things on my plate at a time. I've relaxed some of those rules for things my wife cooks because I know the flavors of those  things mixes well. When I'm at my parents or elsewhere, all those rules are in effect. What's truly amazing (and just one reason why I love my wife so much) is that my wife has actually learned all those rules over the years and knows which ones can be ignored  at home. No disrespect to anybody else, but my wife is the the best woman in the world! :D

I hope you've told MrsSmith and not just us. ?

• Love 1

I know someone who married a mail order bride.  Went to the wedding.  The bride was from Vietnam.   Very nice woman.  She came to America with her two high school age daughters.  Her husband was poor slob with enough money to bring them here.  The adjustment on both sides was hard.  

The point I'm making, from my personal observation, is that these guys like Larry get these women because they feel they are doing the woman a big favor and they owe them.  They want to feel like they have the upper hand.  They don't respect them and don't want a mutual partnership.  If they did, then they would bother to learn about their culture prior to meeting them.  

Larry is a putz.  Jenny's family is clearly dirt poor.  They spent a fortune on that dinner in honor of Larry.  But Larry is so self absorbed in himself that he couldn't see it.  

• Love 11
On 10/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

I'm still wondering how she's even going to go about actually learning English? Is Paul going to teach her? Does he just expect her to absorb it the way a baby does? She's going to need classes or some type of tutoring.

She's already learning.  Every once in awhile she will say something in english or even after she types it on the translator she will try to ask it in english. 

On 10/11/2017 at 8:45 AM, Mr. Minor said:

He was spooning her on the bed in the stupid fucking hat and 2 days of travel funk. Take a shower dumbass!  

But don't you remember that nice sink bath he took in the airport where he even washed down his shirt while wearing it?? ;)

• Love 3

Tensions rise as Larry's cousin confronts Jenny; Patrick makes a last-ditch effort to win over Myriam; Sean returns to Ohio uncertain about his future with Abby; Cortney worries about leaving Antonio in Spain; Paul makes a grand gesture for Karine.

• Love 1

This is why Larry and Jenny aren't a good couple, aren't on the same page, aren't in love and aren't ready to get married. If she knew her fiancé was a man of good intentions, she would know he meant no disrespect, that he is just socially...challenged. And she would know to jump in and tell her family in Tagalog or whatever language, "he's not snubbing you! He's blahblahblah." She should be ready to become "one" with this man. Not turn on him when he is clearly already a nervous wreck and totally out of his element and call him "rude" and basically an idiot.

If they believe each loves the other, it's supposed to be "them against the world" and a given that each has the best of intentions for the other. That's love...not forcing yourself to eat a disgusting, bloated animal that is staring at you.....

Jenny: You are RUDE!

Larry: What?? I'm OLD?!

lolol

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

If they believe each loves the other, it's supposed to be "them against the world" and a given that each has the best of intentions for the other. That's love...not forcing yourself to eat a disgusting, bloated animal that is staring at you.....

I wholeheartedly agree that being in love means you are on the same team- but a relationship is full of give and take, and accepting new things as important that perhaps they didn't consider important before. 

Eating the pig wasn't only important to Jenny's family, it was important to Jenny herself.  And if it's important to Jenny, it needs to be important to Larry. 

• Love 9
On 10/5/2017 at 10:09 AM, MrSmith said:

Not really. Age indicates the amount of life experience you've got. This matters when it comes to things the two people have in common. Let's pretend I'm single for a minute. When I worked at HGST (2013/2014) in Rochester, MN, they had a 20 yo woman (still in college) come as an intern. She was on the team I was part of. She was about six years old when the Twin Towers were attacked and destroyed in 2001. She can hardly remember anything about that day, whereas I can remember every detail about that day including what the air smelled like and how the sun felt as it shone on my skin. There are a lot of cultural touchstones that she didn't understand and that I did (and also vice versa). For example, she'd never seen the original Ghostbusters or Monty Python, and she'd never heard most of the music from the 80's and 90's. There were jokes made by several members of the team that required one to have knowledge of these things and she simply could never understand the jokes - even when we took the time to make her aware of the reference material.

And that's all just for starters. There's also the fact that at 20 years old she doesn't really know who she is or what she wants from life - and she won't figure that stuff out for probably another couple of years yet. In fact, she's currently still bouncing from internship opportunity to internship opportunity and taking the intervening time to be young and travel. I don't fault her for that, but all of what I've documented here in conjunction with stuff that I don't know how to articulate succinctly means that there's no way I could ever be a good match with her. (I tend to make A LOT of jokes that reference movies, tv shows, and music, which makes having shared cultural touchstones important for me. Thankfully, my actual wife knows the references and finds my jokes funny.)

All of that is also why I wouldn't be a good match for someone 20 years my senior: they've got experiences to which I simply cannot relate. As far as music goes, it seems like "the best music" is always the music you grew up listening to; most of everything that came before ranges between "it's okay" and "it's great", whereas everything that comes after is "crap".

MRSMITH, your post reminded me of the Steely Dan song, Hey Nineteen.  Older guy dating a 19-year-old.  Hey nineteen, no we got nothing in common, no we can't talk at all.  R.I.P. Walter Becker.

Sean and Chris are equally disgusting and Chris is ugly as fuck.  Someone posted side-by-side pictures of Chris and the Mad Magazine cartoon kid and THEY LOOKED IDENTICAL.  Chris looks like a clown.

• Love 3
On 10/10/2017 at 8:48 AM, Major Bigtime said:

Jesse must have lost some loved ones to alcoholism, to be that insistent that Darcey not drink. I know plenty of people who feel the same way, if alcohol has touched their lives in a negative way. I just don’t see these two as a couple.

I had been guessing that his father might have had alcohol issues, since he is never mentioned or shown. However, shouldnt he have known before dating Darcey that since shes a cougar, she must obviously love her wine right ?!

On 10/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, LGGirl said:

The point I'm making, from my personal observation, is that these guys like Larry get these women because they feel they are doing the woman a big favor and they owe them.  They want to feel like they have the upper hand.  They don't respect them and don't want a mutual partnership.  If they did, then they would bother to learn about their culture prior to meeting them.  

Amen, amen, amen!!  I so agree with you, and it's not just the men, the American women are no different.   I think they all suffer from narcissism, so they need to buy a partner who they can own and control.   I feel very sorry for these people who are so desperate to get away from horrific poverty.    If there's nothing else to learn from this show, it is certainly a treatise on narcissism.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Forum member said:

Her eyes are not even close to the same size. She tars on the makeup to try and cover it up.

Thanks Forum member.  I guess I never noticed that because I've been ff'g Corny and Rico Suave and also the "friend zone" Parisian and the trying-too-hard acrobat.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Jenny: You are RUDE!

Larry: What?? I'm OLD?!

lolol

That was hysterical.

Also, the look of absolute disgust on her face when he wouldn't eat the pig.  That's the way she feels about him about 95% of the time. 

Make no mistake. Jenny despises this man.

He's a sacrifice she needs to make. Just like her mother is making a sacrifice by not having seen her family in three years.

She sleeps on a stone floor.

Larry's a fool. And, he's her vehicle.

• Love 10

Regarding the thoughts that "Jenny should respect that Larry doesn't want to eat the pig"- although I get that, Larry has a long way to go regarding social graces and managing a situation such as the one he faced with tact.

Ideally:  Jenny: "Look, Larry- we made this roasted pig for you as a special welcoming meal! We haven't had such a feast in 20 years because my family is dirt poor and we want to let you know that you are an honored guest at our home! Please!  Eat and enjoy!"  

Larry:  "My goodness, your family is so wonderful to treat me as such a special guest. I will savor this meal and enjoy it because of the work and caring that went into it."

-Larry tastes the pork (and eats lots of side dishes if the pork doesn't appeal to him), smiling and thanking his hosts multiple times.

Reality:  Jenny: "Look, Larry- we made this roasted pig for you as a special welcoming meal! We haven't had such a feast in 20 years because my family is dirt poor and we want to let you know that you are an honored guest at our home! Please!  Eat and enjoy!"  

Larry:  (winces, wrinkles nose, eyes dart from side to side):  "Uhh.... ummmm.... this is gross.  I don't think I can eat this.  I'm going to gag.  I KNOW I'm going to gag.  How do I get through this?  Oh, dear god...."  Sighs heavily. Looks sick.  Looks like he wants to run.  Reluctantly takes a bite, looking as if he's going to vomit it right back out.  Doesn't thank them.  Complains some more.

That's the difference.  Larry is a social infant and an oaf.  I would have been offended as well.  Jenny was looking for a ticket to a better life, no doubt- but she was hoping that her ticket would act somewhat like a human rather than a thankless slob.

• Love 15
On 10/9/2017 at 5:41 AM, Peanutbuttercup said:

That roast pig looked delicious. Larry should have chowed down and said a silent thanks that he wasn't presented with balut.

I was positively salivating over that pig. How the skin crackled when they cut into it? Yum...

Larry's a rube. But we already knew that. Even so the sweating and clawing at his neck was a bit much. I enjoyed watching the children right behind him openly laughing at him. 

• Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 8:49 AM, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig. And where do you get the bolded part from? McDonald's burgers are actually beef; highly processed beef, but they're still beef. So even if he eats at McDonald's, provided he's not having the McRib, then he's still not eating pork.

I know plenty of Jewish people that eat pork. Bacon is just too hard to resist. ?

If if that was the case - it's very easy to thank them for the lovely meal but explain he can't partake for religious reasons. Case closed. He did none of that to Jenny, her family or the production crew. All I heard was "unadventurous eater and fear of diarrhea".

• Love 1
On 10/12/2017 at 1:13 AM, Nowhere said:

I'd kill for some sweet gefilte fish but I live in Missouri now and they don't sell it here. I'm hoping you got the loaf and not the nasty Manichevitz  in a jar of fish water. Even I wouldn't eat that shit and gefilte fish is my jam. I'm sure you got the good stuff but, I agree, gefilte fish may be an acquired taste. I'm so sad. Now I have a craving. 

Thanks for the education on gelfite fish! I'm from Long Island and in my younger days worked at a nice diner with a fairly large Jewish clientele. Gefilte fish was an appetizer choice for inclusive dinners. It was the nasty  Manichevitz in fish water. I got skeeved the very few times I served it - not popular and I had to retrieve from fridge myself - so I had an inkling how old it was . 

But if my "fiancee's" family the first time I met them, made a special dinner and served that nasty shit I'd manage to snark down a few bites and smile.

• Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, gunderda said:

She's already learning.  Every once in awhile she will say something in english or even after she types it on the translator she will try to ask it in english. 

But don't you remember that nice sink bath he took in the airport where he even washed down his shirt while wearing it?? ;)

While its nice that Karine appears to make an effort, I dont think sounding out phonetically the words appearing on the translator app are helping her English skills because she seems like she has no clue what she is saying, what syllables go with what word, etc. If she moves to the US she will most definitely have to take some English classes starting from the basics. I remember from the first season Kirlyam was from Brazil and had very lmited English (but her fiance spoke Portuguese with her.) And now her English has dramatically improved from the sounds of it. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

There's such a glaring difference between the situations. 

The flippant Miriam, Jesse & Antonio versus the poverty and grim desperation of Jenny, Katrine & Abby. 

Yea.... I cant imagine Miriam, Jesse or Antonio having any desire to leave Paris, Amsterdam, or Spain for what .... Kentucky ? Orlando ?  Its pretty obvious that the western European participants have absolutely no desire to leave their lives to come to the U.S. Myriam was even saying how much she loved Paris.  This show is much more realistic when displaying fiances from impoverished countries that are known for exporting women (Phillipines, parts of Latin Ameica, etc. ) I mean, how wierd would this show be if we are introduced to Myriam in Paris, she takes us to a shack a few miles away from the Eiffel tower, points at the floor, says "This is where I sleep, that corner is where Dad sleeps"

As a side note, I did notice that Jenny's little niece and nephew were holding what appeared to be packages of store-bought toys. It looked like Larry had brought the kids gifts from the US which was very sweet. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Why did Larry break into exaggerated broken english when he was talking with her family??   Good lord.   And 2 thumbs up for Jenny's dad.  He was so unimpressed with Larry's marriage proposal he was like Get off my Goat lawn.

That I'd an ugly American move. Speak English using the accent of thee local area. Totally stupid. I was just in Paris with  friend who thought that speaking English loudly using a PePe LePeau accent was a helpful method of communicating 

• Love 4

Corny has missed her calling.  She should give classes on Master Packing for Europe and beyond.  She stuffed a lot of clothing and shoes into 2 collegiate sized backpacks. 

I wish they would just have sex so they could both go on with their lives.  He'll boot her out of his apartment along with her 2 backpacks.  He doesn't have great command of the english language and she is still picking on him about "why did you say all that about getting married and having babies and how you loved me?"   Literal, much?  If she had a shred of brains she would just leave.  I don't even think they have any chemistry.

The wingman, however, is quite charming and hot.  Hit that.  And he speaks a helluva lot more conversational english.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Corny has missed her calling.  She should give classes on Master Packing for Europe and beyond.  She stuffed a lot of clothing and shoes into 2 collegiate sized backpacks. 

The trick is to roll your clothing.  I learned it when I was in the Navy. When I travel, friends and family are always surprised by the amount of clothing I can fit into one bag. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

...Get off my Goat lawn.

Ha!  And what was with the Paul style "I wanna f your daughter" finger gesture?  I get that these guys are totally socially inept, but it's called the ring finger.  Shouldn't be difficult to remember.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, KateHearts said:

This was different from having your violent, allergic reaction to a food.

That said, I wouldn't "throw a roll" at a family member because I felt she had given me something I was intolerant to. Nor would I eat the food if I had strong suspicions it would make be very ill.

I spent three days in the hospital on IV Dilaudid while the surgeon tried to decide if he needed to remove some of my small intestine. As I explained, she insisted she made it and accused me of being rude. She is in her 70s and I didn't have any reason to doubt her other than I thought it looked like the frozen bread dough. I certainly couldn't tell for sure, by sight, that the rolls were the frozen ones and that she didn't make them.

She's quite lucky that I only threw a roll at her, vomited in her dining room, blew the lid of her Sunday "home cooked" dinners being at least, partially prepackaged, which embarassed her, and didn't sue her for my medical bills, which were paid with a loan from my 401(k). She decided I was making it up because she hadn't heard of it before, was staring and commenting on my not taking much of her food, and was feigning embarrassment because I wasn't eating it, making me feel guilty for questioning her and bite into the roll. I can live with my actions and she can live with hers. Her daughter, who visited me in the hospital to apologize to me and make sure I knew that the others didn't know she didn't make the bread, showed much more compassion and embarrassment then my great-aunt, who still insists I was making it up and somehow made myself projectile vomit and faint.

It doesn't matter how stupid an anxiety is to the rest of us, the person suffering from it is still experiencing it. I am posting the clip of the lechon scene. As you can see by his expression from the moment he laid eyes on it, he was experiencing distress over eating it. He was also rude and didn't understand what he did wrong, but the anxiety was still on his face and in his words when he realized he was expecting to eat it, tried to get everyone else to get some and stop staring at him, and then tried to take a bite, failed, and nodded his head, "Yes" to everyone, like he thought that was a "Thank You." The talking heads were filmed after, and he had no idea that this was a big deal until they unveiled it. One of Jenny's family members tells her to tell him he is supposed to be eating it, and her parents give a talking head that they were annoyed. He didn't realize he was "snubbing" the meal because he is socially clueless and didn't read the room. He only gets my sympathy for the anxiety, not anything else he is doing or will continue to do in the future. 

• Love 3
On 2017-10-13 at 7:15 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

That was hysterical.

Also, the look of absolute disgust on her face when he wouldn't eat the pig.  That's the way she feels about him about 95% of the time. 

Make no mistake. Jenny despises this man.

He's a sacrifice she needs to make. Just like her mother is making a sacrifice by not having seen her family in three years.

She sleeps on a stone floor.

Larry's a fool. And, he's her vehicle.

I'm parachuting into this discussion with only having skimmed some of the posts, so, sorry if I'm just repeating stuff.

I totally agree with CoachwristletJen. Don't know if Jenny despises Larry, but she's clearly phoning it in with him. The thing with the pork "Lechon" was ridiculous. How did Larry not understand that you don't behave this way? They tell you it's a super-special dish, expensive, labour-intensive, and prepared in your honour ... and you act like a squeamish child afraid of the cooties. Ugh, common sense, Larry ol' boy, common sense! 

On a general note, Sean drives me bonkers; Abby is a minx; Courtney is annoyingly ditzy; Antonio is a caricature of a Latin Lovah; Myriam is beautiful, but I can't figure her out; Patrick has all the moves; Jesse and Darcy are beyond human comprehension; Paul is kookoo, but kind of endearing; Karine is (amazingly) totally normal in every way; And Chris is the only man on the show who totally gets it.

"Ha!  And what was with the Paul style "I wanna f your daughter" finger gesture?  I get that these guys are totally socially inept, but it's called the ring finger.  Shouldn't be difficult to remember."

LOL, I noticed that, too. And the crazy hand-kissing and awkward hugging.

This may be the best crop of 90 Day-ers yet. Mind you, it's hard to top Anfisa and Mohammed for sheer lunacy.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 1

I felt sorry for Myriam. I can’t believe Patrick thought it was okay to fondle her.  Where I come from that is considered sexual harassment. If that were me, I would go upside his head.

“I never cry for men; men cry for me” said Jenny, the virgin.  Alrighty then!

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Adeejay said:

I felt sorry for Myriam. I can’t believe Patrick thought it was okay to fondle her.  Where I come from that is considered sexual harassment. If that were me, I would go upside his head.

I do not feel sorry for Myriam.  She is the one playing games.  She was out of line complaining about her boyfriend, and when Patrick started to respond to that she freaked out.  I don't know if I even believe she has a boyfriend, or whether this whole thing is scripted.  She and Patrick read as a couple to me.  

• Love 23

WHY did Corny sit in that hot cubicle for 24 hours???  I was screaming at her to go to a hotel, but did she listen?  I wanted to slap his smarmy, smartass face when he asked if she was getting her period.  WHY does she think so litttle of herself that she put up with that shit?  

What is up with Abby?  I cannot read her, but I know she's lying.  I suspect she is telling whatzit whatever he wants to hear because he is leaving the next day.  She does love Chris, and she did end up in bed with him, definitely.  

Why did Karine forgive Paul?  Forget his criminal histroy - what about his behavior was acceptable?  She gave him the exact same look as her father, but then basically gve him permission to keep acting like a spazz in the future and put her in harm's way.  

Why do these women settle for so little?  

4 minutes ago, Liamsmom617 said:

What men have possibly cried over Jenny?! I call bullshit there. 

She's had hundreds of men.  Do you expect her to remember their names?  

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, Liamsmom617 said:

that was a cruel mind-fuck. 

Oh yes, it was.  And then he had the nerve to act exasperated with her because she wanted to know what it meant.  Also, the whole climbing-the-stairs-in-the-windmill thing was not only utterly bizarre, but cruel in light of her fear of heights.  He knew she wanted a proposal, and he went out of his way to make her think one was coming, and then pulled the plug.  Quelle fuckwit.  

The only thing worse would have been if he ahd proposed and she had accepted, which she would have.  

I'm even more convinced they are into dominance/submission.  And I want ZERO details.  

7 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Any bets on how quickly Abby ran to Chris after this was filmed?  Like, he was probably waiting 5 feet away from her, right? 

Ayup.  He's already inside her house, which is why she couldn't let Ignatz in.  

Edited by Sprockets
ignatz
  • Love 19
8 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Any bets on how quickly Abby ran to Chris after this was filmed?  Like, he was probably waiting 5 feet away from her, right?  The way she said "I'll do it for love" was just gross and such a lie.  Sean is an idiot for falling for her bullshit, but he has eyes and he can see what she is, so if she scams him, it is on his own head

That smile she gave the producer when he asked if she loved Chris said it all!

Sean is indeed a complete idiot. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Oh yes, it was.  And then he had the nerve to act exasperated with her because she wanted to know what it meant.  Also, the whole climbing-the-stairs-in-the-windmill thing was not only utterly bizarre, but cruel in light of her fear of heights.  He knew she wanted a proposal, and he went out of his way to make her think one was coming, and then pulled the plug.  Quelle fuckwit.  

Hope no one played the "Baby" drinking game with Darcey and Jesse tonight. That was an unprecedented number in rapid succession... followed by a Shyamalan twist non-proposal.

• Love 17

I’m hoping that Courtney is just playing along with the scripted situation by this point. Even she has to be a bit brighter/ have a Iittle more self-respect than this, right?!?!

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 5