Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

It was hilarious when Paul was trying to communicate to Karine's dad that he was going to give her a ring and his gesture made it seem that he was saying he penetrated her.  He's so pathetic.

I still have flashbacks about that kiss.  He is in no way appealing. Karine said she likes his blue eyes and his light hair. So I guess that makes up for all the grossness that is Paul. 

And his pants keep falling down and drooping. I can't.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What I also noticed is that she is an uptalker.  So nothing she says is declarative, even when she is mad.  Couple that with the fact that she is also a smile talker, this is a bad combination for communication.  Even I couldn't tell "how mad" she was because her voice inflection said everything was a question.....plus she was smiling.  And English is my native language.   Note for any young or not so young people who are picking up this bad speech habit.....it's hard to listen to but even worse to try to understand what you are saying. 

Nothing drives me crazier than an uptalker. Smiletalker, hadn't heard of that one but I know what you mean. It was difficult to gauge how mad she was (if she was at all even) by looking at her and listening. Very confusing.

• Love 5
On 9/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, seacliffsal said:

Regarding Cortney and her being upset that Antonio didn't meet her at the airport, if I had to work and someone I was 'friendly' with over the internet was coming to visit, I would honor my work commitment and expect that person to find their own transportation.  Now, if I offered to meet them it would be different.  This is someone Antonio really doesn't know and apparently doesn't intent to have as a life partner, yet his bills need to be paid, so work it is.  Especially if he is trying to work as a model he probably doesn't have the luxury to say no to any jobs that come along (based upon his living situation, age, etc.).  I think it's almost a bit presumptuous for Cortney to expect him to rearrange work, etc., when it was clear when they were communicating with each other that he wouldn't adjust his schedule to face-time with her or Skype with her.  It seems like he is consistent with the behaviors he demonstrated during the 2 months or so they were texting.  I also think it was presumptuous of Cortney to expect to stay at his apartment.  His surprise that she wanted to stay with him rather than a hotel seemed genuine so she probably never communicated that before going to Spain.  It could have been a case of 'I'll be in Spain for three weeks and I want to meet you and hang out with you' rather than a clear communication of what her relationship expectations were with him.  

I thought he was surprised she wanted to stay at his apartment because she had been acting so '"coldly" towards him, and she was so angry with him. 

• Love 1
On 9/21/2017 at 2:39 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

I took one for the team and went back to at least look at their first meeting again and nowhere does she exactly say he said he was going to meet her/pick her up at the airport.  She said "you texted me yesterday and said how excited you were to see me/meet me...."  so it seemed like it was more of a Can't wait to meet you tomorrow type thing.   She gave him her flight information but she didn't explicitly say (even when she was mad at him) YOU SAID YOU WERE PICKING ME UP.   She said "i was disappointed to get your text that you weren't coming."  So there's that.   Edited however you want.   And yes she lead with it and hammered it home.

What I also noticed is that she is an uptalker.  So nothing she says is declarative, even when she is mad.  Couple that with the fact that she is also a smile talker, this is a bad combination for communication.  Even I couldn't tell "how mad" she was because her voice inflection said everything was a question.....plus she was smiling.  And English is my native language.   Note for any young or not so young people who are picking up this bad speech habit.....it's hard to listen to but even worse to try to understand what you are saying. 

And he kissed her hello.   Then he went in for more and she pushed him off.  Then he went in for another and she pushed him off.   Then he called her cold....version 1.   LOL

I do wish they showed more of their interaction before hand so we know what was said.   She did say he said that he loved her and wanted to marry her....maybe ol Corny is a literalist instead of translating that into Spanish as "i like you, i think you are hot, i like your clear eyes, you could be my number 3 girl,  i'd love to have sex with you every Tuesday."

Oh and they showed Jenny's pictures again.....YEAH THAT"S NOT JENNY IN THOSE PICTURES.   That's not even a filter, photoshop or anything.....straight up someone else.  Someone else's daughter?  How can he think that's the same person?  Poor Larry.   They had to have talked or exchanged other real pictures....he would have had no way of even recognizing her based on those anime photos!!!!  What.  Ever.

You've got Courtney down to a science!  I do wonder, though, about all those emoji's they were swapping early on....I think they were both sending them.  There was a picture of a bride and groom, and a picture of adults and baby emojis.  Those are things that stretch across language barriers.

14 hours ago, Matias130 said:

I think Myriam is pretty, in an interesting, exotic, natural sort of way, like you couldnt exactly tell what is her background from looking at her. 

Yes, I guess if a twig of fake cotton at Hobby Lobby could be considered racist, anything goes.  I'm wondering why no one is as offended as I am, every time I pass the saltines in the grocery store..... :)

(ETA: the above sentence reflects the absurdity of the situation.  I just thought I should add that, in case it offended anyone.)

Edited by LocalGovt
  • Love 7

There is nothing about Paul that would lead me to believe she wants to sex him that bad. 

And his pants keep falling down and drooping. I can't.

I think Karine wants to have sex with Paul because in her mind it solidifies their relationship. It's like, let's have sex, get engaged, and start this green card process. Karine wants to go the US, and eventually bring her family here. If Paul is the vehicle to that scenario playing out, well then, she'll do it. 

I think his pants keep falling down because he only weighs roughly 98 pounds. He has tiny little spaghetti arms, and tiny sloping shoulders, and probably a tiny weenie. 

• Love 10
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:31 AM, Sprockets said:

Um, yes.  Because that baby's skin is a different color than theirs.  So okay, I thought, how wonderful that they adopted.  But then she went on about hormonal changes after the baby was born. . . very odd. . .

She was utterly exhausted.  I know what that trip can do to a person, and then all the stress of being in a new place, meeting a new person.  It sounded like they had agreed she would stay there.  For all we know, he told her he had a spare bedroom.  She travelled so far to meet him.  The least he could do was give her a place to crash.  

Yeah, Antonio is a dick.  I'm guessing they were chatting about her coming over with Antonio not believing for a minute she was actually going to do it (he didn't even bother clearing his schedule for the day.)  He likely didn't think anyone would be so desperate to fly that far for some booty (which is all he thinks of her as, but clearly not the other way around.)  She reminds me a lot of myself in my late teens/early twenties when I was still too dumb and naïve to know when a man was CLEARLY playing me.  I look back at those years and cringe now.

• Love 11

I don't think Antonio is a catfish. A catfish is someone who is lying and scamming someone else and hiding their real identity. I think Antonio is a player, who is happy to have sex with any attractive woman dumb enough to fly to Spain and stay at his apartment. I do think he has probably led Cortney on, but she needs to get a clue. When the guy wouldn't video chat and didn't clear his work schedule, she should have gone off and taken a solo tour of Spain, then gone home.

Also, they presented Cortney as an experienced solo international traveler, but she seems clueless and unable to figure anything out. An experienced solo traveler would know how to find a taxi and a hotel in a strange city. An experienced solo traveler wouldn't look so frightened when she might have been ditched. Sad yes, but Cortney seemed totally lost.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

How do we know they film them before meeting their Americans though?  Those packages of introducing them can be done at any time and edit a certain way.

You have to wonder how this all works?  If it's legit.   How does the show find these people who are on apps meeting people overseas?  When are the people overseas informed they are part of a TV show?  

Well, they are talking about the anticipation of meeting their Americans as if they had not met them yet. Of course the segments can be edited, but a camera crew has to be in place during the meeting so it seems logical they may have the chance to film the subjects beforehand.

It seems like someone must contact the show initially.  The subjects have to give permission to be on TV (and the families as well) so the camera crew showing up wouldn't be a surprise.  This show is much different than the OG show since those couples have already met and have semi-real relationships before going to the US.

33 minutes ago, lezlers said:

She reminds me a lot of myself in my late teens/early twenties when I was still too dumb and naïve to know when a man was CLEARLY playing me.  I look back at those years and cringe now.

And my 30s as well.  

• Love 9

I felt bad for Patrick.  And slightly bad for Courtney.  I wonder if there is  alot we (as the viewing public) are not seeing -- things that wind up on the cutting room floor, that would otherwise help put the pieces together?

I wonder if Courtney thinks Antonio likes the helpless female.  We haven't been privvy to their months of text messages.  I'd love to read those. Then again there are those people who hide  behind an 'oh, I didn't know that" facade....because then they are not accountable for anything because...they didn't know!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

I felt bad for Patrick.  And slightly bad for Courtney.  I wonder if there is  alot we (as the viewing public) are not seeing -- things that wind up on the cutting room floor, that would otherwise help put the pieces together?

I wonder if Courtney thinks Antonio likes the helpless female.  We haven't been privvy to their months of text messages.  I'd love to read those. Then again there are those people who hide  behind an 'oh, I didn't know that" facade....because then they are not accountable for anything because...they didn't know!

His text replies were probably sure "Lol", "yeah", "good" and "okay". Plus a couple ?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, lezlers said:

She reminds me a lot of myself in my late teens/early twenties when I was still too dumb and naïve to know when a man was CLEARLY playing me.  I look back at those years and cringe now.

Yeah, me too.   I'm glad that's all in the past. 

• Love 3
On 9/18/2017 at 4:35 PM, AmyBre said:

I've read it at least 20 times but I'll repeat it.  Larry is a f%$#ing idiot train wreck.  He's walking down the street and telling everyone in sight what he's doing; they are all looking at him like "who gives a rat's ass?"   I haven't seen cases of this much desperate since High School.  Or since Nicole and Azan.   Larry needs someone in his life to set him straight.   He's so desperate even the poor girl is looking at him and thinking "this guy is pathetic".   And get some goddamn fitting clothes!.  Larry is putting all American men to shame.   Jenny has no idea Larry works at McDonald's or if she does, she doesn't know what that means.  Even as a manager, Larry may not be able to support the "love of his life" to stay at home painting her nails while he's at work.   By the way, to hear any of these people refer to the other person they just met as the Love if their Life is beyond pathetic.  Christ almighty!!!   I hope Jenny takes every penny of his 401K.  I'm betting that she'll soon determine he has no money and will fleece him and dump him.  By the way, Jenny is missing some molars (teeth) on the upper right.  Notice how she tries to hid it when she tries to smile.

I'm so glad that Patrick got dropped like cow manure.  That young man needs to stop licking his lips every minute.  It's not sexy when LL Cool J used to do it 20 years ago and it wasn't sexy when he did it either.  Myriam is a lesson for all Americans looking for love via a Visa (ask the important questions!!).  I don't blame Poor Dumb Patrick for forgetting to ask that important question.  Myriam is at fault, but she realized that Patrick was a manchild and got out at the right time, before anything intimate happened.  If they were not acting, Myriam came up quickly with an "out".   Patrick doesn't strike me as being smart enough to do tourism by himself.   And to PityFree, Patrick may be handsome but he's just not very bright or interesting and I think Myriam realized that and pulled the plug on it.    

Karine (rhymes with Latrine) was in a hurry for intimacy.  Poor girl.  I would have seen the results, and then walk out on him and leave him lying there naked with his dirty socks on.  Then again, Karine has nothing to fall back on so she'll need to put up with that maniac.  I have a bet that they will not get married and if they do, USCIS will question how in heaven are they able to have a relationship without actual meaningful verbal communication.

Antonio is such an a$$#ole.  He's actually saying on camera that he can sleep separately today but not tomorrow.  He feels that American women are easy and expects this girl to pay for her stay tomorrow.  Courtney keeps physically pushing him away, but she made the face of "I'm already here so I might as well do him".  By the way, Antonio's bathroom is outside his apartment.  Notice how the kitchenette is right next to the couch in his "living room" and everything is all together.  Think of a hotel room converted into an apartment and one bathroom per floor.  This is common in Europe and was common in some large US cities a long time ago, NYC, Philly, SF.  By the way, these apartments are for students or very poor people, which proves that Antonio is not a model and doesn't make any decent money in those fake pageants.

People who travel a lot don't travel like these guys.  Packing and demeanor is only one of many tell tales that they are not the most worldly  or educated people.  My money says, Larry, Paul and Patrick did not finish high school.  Courtney has some Community College, but not a lot.  Darcy no college either, though she might be one of those people who goes to college but lack common sense and are basically clueless.

None of these people strike as bright.  Right now, only Jesse seems a bit smart, he's getting his publicity action and he will not go with Darcey beyond one season.  But he's smart and he will parlay that into something.  I guarantee it.

Another point, TLC is financing some of these trips' expenses.  I'm sure neither Patrick nor Larry (401K BS story) paid 100% for everything.  Patrick and Myriam could have well been "in it" and know about the "deceit", but TLC funded it so they get a story for a couple of thousand dollars.  Patrick's reaction was pretty contained because he knew about it.  He's in the entertainment industry so he just go a free trip to Paris and some free promotion.  So Miriam said that and 5 seconds later, each person just gets up and walks away.  No way that would happen in real life.

TLC and Sharp are diversifying and splitting up new shows, the way "Law and Order" did.  God, there's 4 or 5 types of "Law and Order" shows and they all make money.  That's genius.

My instincts tell me that Myriam played Patrick all along.  She had no intention of ever making him her boyfriend, let alone spouse.  Myriam got herself extended face time on television and got reimbursed for it thanks to the network, and that's all she wanted from her meeting with Patrick and anything that happens from this point forward.  She is that obvious.  Patrick is naive and a romantic, just yearning to tell the world about his "belle femme" in Paris.  If he were truly interested, though, he would not have shown up wearing those clown rags, which suggests a lack of self awareness; conversely, it may reflect self importance in that he thinks he is so special he can dress whichever way he desires, and people will still love him.  I call it seriously delusional.

I think Karine was smitten, at least during the internet communications with Paul, by his blue eyes.  Didn't she say something along those lines? Now that she's got him there in person, though, his blue eyes alone may not prove sufficient to keep her interested.  I noticed that although he is considerably older than Karine -- he is 34, and she is 21 or so? -- he is immature, lacks life experience, and even looks young for his age.  To that end, Karine will not be getting a man with whom she can feel secure and cared for.  Rather, his neurotic, phobic nature may translate to her taking care of him.

The Darcie-Jesse match is pitiful.  Darcie, what in the world are you thinking?  Jesse, I think you either have a mother fixation or you, too, are using reality television as your gateway to fame.  Welcome to reality t.v. and all of its wanna-be actors.

Intelligence doesn't really play as large a role as one would think when the subject at hand happens to be "love." I know plenty of advance-degreed individuals out there who've been married two and three times, yet are still scouring the globe for that "special someone."  I hardly think Jesse is stupid, and I do not think the other guy (the one "in love" with the girl from Haiti) lacks intelligence, either.  There are romantics who can't see beyond the fairy tale.  They believe what they want to believe when it comes to love, even as the fantasy they've created crashes down around them.  

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 5

I only just watched the episode (I had to suffer without tv on vacation) so didn't read any comments yet but the first segment with Paul and Karine when they check into the resort and before they head for only HER  tests she looks extremely old in her talking head when saying it's sad Paul doesn't trust her but it's important to take the relationship to the next level. She just looked so much older suddenly, I guess just a week with Paul aged her years. So sad! I rather for her to have an STD than be with him, at least with STD you know you can get rid of it with medication. Paul will be forever... whether it's marriage or stalking.

And I can't believe Larry really went all the way to Asia with just a trash bag for a purse! FFS he couldn't splurge on some cheap canvas bag they sell at checkout in every grocery store? Even that would be better, the trash bag was all ripped by the time he got on flight to Shanghai and he wasn't even in Philippines yet. He just spent several thousand on trip to meet his "fiancee" but doesn't have 5 dollars for the simplest cheapest bag? Although it appears he got a blue one somewhere along the way probably after the trash bag fell apart mid flight (or someone gifted him one, I noticed it said "Empowering people to live healthier" if someone recognises it). If you are already emptying your 401K it can't be that much extra. What a first impression LOL I would run if I saw him coming out of the airport all rumpled and sweaty with a trash bag filled with candy falling out. And that would be before I even got close enough to take a sniff. His fiancee doesn't look so unfortunate that she couldn't find a better catch. (Oops I forgot he is a good person even though he is not like THE other American men. And where did she meet THE other American men that she can compare Larry to?) And lost luggage! That segment was pure comedy gold and besides tons of laughter I also experienced tons of second-hand embarrassment. I can't even imagine how tasty he smelled after 36 hours in the air (and I'm not even sensitive to bad smells but I wouldn't want to smell that. And he wanted to hug. So much hugging...).  "I think I have a good choice" said Jenny trying hard not to giggle who thinks Larry is not like THE other American men. OMG!

Patrick and Myriam - boring. I think they just scammed producers to get on the show as he already appeared on several reality shows  recently so he must be really thirsty. They weren't even that convincing with their "acting" as it seemed like they were trying not to smile. You can see it in their eyes during the whole conversation. Patrick needs more acting classes I think.

Courtney - still stupid. 

Where do they find these people??????

• Love 3

I wish Patrick would take a break from obsessively licking his lips to realize that Myriam is pregnant and not into him at all!

Larry is just pathetic. It's almost hard to watch (but of course I will keep watching, because: trainwreck!)

I almost missed Darcy and her chokers this week. Almost. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, katenm said:

I'm going on The Paul Diet. Whenever I crave something I shouldn't eat, I think of Paul having, either with himself or another person, and my hunger disappears. For days.

I think you left a word out right after "having" . . . might you have meant to include "sex"?  LOL.

• Love 3

I would hope Patrick made the most of his time in Paris.  Many people never get there, and it’s a bucket list trip for many.  

I hope he wasn’t too blinded by hurt to enjoy the amazing history.  

Of course, I am old (46).  So I am looking at this with my travelers eyes...

eta Myriam is totally pg.  

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 3
On 9/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, chickenella said:

Nothing drives me crazier than an uptalker. Smiletalker, hadn't heard of that one but I know what you mean. It was difficult to gauge how mad she was (if she was at all even) by looking at her and listening. Very confusing.

Uptalking and vocal fry. Gah!

• Love 6

Cortney made a lot of mistakes with Antonio. No FaceTime, Skype, whatever. You meet someone online and you DO get a webcam so you can see exactly WHO you are talking to. None of this nonsense of just Facebook or whatever posts. To avoid being catfished or taken advantage of, you do turn on the camera. You also don't expect your online friend to pick you up at the airport and take you home. You do NOT know this person and some of it is just projecting what you wish him to be. You are smart and mature enough to stay in a hotel for a few days first.

Antonio is probably used to women staying for one night on the house before he expects them to earn their keep. There really isn't anything there. Cortney may learn a very tough life lesson from this.

Sometimes you do know when you meet the love of your life - or someone who will be important to you. For these folks, probably not.

A dude on Twitter lost interest in chatting with me once I said I really wasn't available for any sort of 'relationship' unless it was something casual. He admitted to having PTSD and that his doctor advised him to not get involved with anyone seriously at this time. Thanks for telling me.  I enjoyed Tweeting to him but that was it.

Larry, you don't carry a garbage bag as carryon luggage.  I used a Rag and Bone canvas totebag as my 'carryon' when I went to a music festival in August. Had a big suitcase and no need for a carryon. Large enough to hold my iPad mini, my iPod, phone, camera and a few other things like a couple of snacks.

Have been to Paris a few times. Loved going to the museums and galleries. And the food and the shopping. You can easily enjoy yourself even if you are there alone. If you are going to meet your Internet friend and possible love interest, you do dress the part, really and put yourself together.

Karine is just looking for an escape. Maybe if she gets to the US she will find folks who speak Portuguese and then run from Paul.

• Love 2

Tonight we have more of Old Liverlips and his young Haitian beauty. Only thing that can save this train wreck will be another visit to Mambo Gladys to redeem the episode.

Then we have Jesse and his biker's old lady Desperate Darcey supposedly having a lover's quarrel.

Also, the non story between Patrick and Miriam.

And poor sad sack Larry with his sad sack full of candy.

• Love 3
On 9/18/2017 at 2:26 PM, chickenella said:

I don't know where to begin with this episode, a lot to unpack. Ok, was the shirt Patrick was wearing a Kimono? It looked like a short Kimono to me. I feel terrible for him, the look on his face when she said she had a boyfriend, so shocked. Moments before he looked smitten.

He didn't look shocked to me, more like trying to look shocked. I watched it few times and to me it seems like they were just playing the roles, they both have smiley eyes in the scene and trying to not to smile unsuccessfully. Even her apology and his non reaction confirms that for me. He wasn't really mad and she wasn't that apologetic considering that he just traveled so far just to meet her. I think Patrick wanted to be on TV again and this was perfect show for it. It possibly started the way it did but then Patrick was too far for real relationship and Myriam met someone else and got real boyfriend. He told her he would come to meet her so she told him about the boyfriend. He was sad about it for a bit because he did like her and wanted to be with her but when she told him she had boyfriend he said "hey there is this show on TV about international couples, maybe we could pretend I didn't know about you having a boyfriend and travel to meet you". He already was on few reality shows this past couple years so he appears hungry to be on TV and he could also make some money. Plus visit Paris. If I would lead someone on and he would spend 1000+ on ticket to meet me I wouldn't just be tiny bit sorry like she appeared to be. It was like sorry I'm late kind of sorry. And if I was him I would be way way more upset about it, I would be broken hearted to hear she has a boyfriend and then really upset she lead me on and I spent all this money and left my daughter for this. They weren't showing really much emotions considering the situation. So I think he already knew. 

• Love 4
On 22/09/2017 at 3:30 AM, LocalGovt said:

..YEAH THAT"S NOT JENNY IN THOSE PICTURES

Totally different person!  But he is so damaged that he wont notice and she will get a ticket to the USA.

3 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

Tonight we have more of Old Liverlips and his young Haitian beauty. Only thing that can save this train wreck will be another visit to Mambo Gladys to redeem the episode.

Then we have Jesse and his biker's old lady Desperate Darcey supposedly having a lover's quarrel.

I call them Itchy and Scratchy

• Love 2
On 9/22/2017 at 10:50 AM, Kellyee said:

I don't think Antonio is a catfish. A catfish is someone who is lying and scamming someone else and hiding their real identity. I think Antonio is a player, who is happy to have sex with any attractive woman dumb enough to fly to Spain and stay at his apartment. I do think he has probably led Cortney on, but she needs to get a clue. When the guy wouldn't video chat and didn't clear his work schedule, she should have gone off and taken a solo tour of Spain, then gone home.

Also, they presented Cortney as an experienced solo international traveler, but she seems clueless and unable to figure anything out. An experienced solo traveler would know how to find a taxi and a hotel in a strange city. An experienced solo traveler wouldn't look so frightened when she might have been ditched. Sad yes, but Cortney seemed totally lost.

No video chatting, or even phone calls.

Not meeting her at the airport.

Late meeting her then dragging her to his job that he can't miss.

At what point is Corny going to get that him not making her a priority can only mean one thing? Even a textbook player makes his flavor of the week feel special to some extent. 

• Love 4

A disagreement escalates between Darcey and Jesse; Larry has questions about Jenny's past during his first day in Manila; Patrick has a big decision to make in Paris after Myriam drops a bombshell; Abby's ex-boyfriend Chris arrives in Haiti...

• Love 1
Just now, Northernlights said:

What is with Abby and these creepy old dudes?  Yuck!  They both give me the willy's!  She seems to have it all together - it doesn't make sense.

Maybe Sean and Chris will hook up instead?

• Love 17

I'm so annoyed TLC pulled that nonsense again with listing tonight's episode as two hours and then hitting me with the boring What Now couples. Grr.

I think Darcey is pretty pathetic but tonight Jesse crossed the line into controlling dick. Run Darcey. 

I found Abby's Chris to be repulsive. She must really want out of Haiti to be willing to sleep with either Chris of Sean.

Sincerely dislike Myriam, she's very impressed with herself. 

• Love 22