Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Queen's Justice

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, dragonsbite said:

So the show made a point of Jaime carrying Widow's Wail -- the other sword made from Ned's Ice (Valerian steel sword). Are they foreshadowing his killing of Cersei (a loved one), at which point the sword bursts miraculously into flames and he becomes the PtwP? Or are they simply hinting that he'll be fighting the WWs too by the end?

My guess is white walkers.  I know Jaime is still coming off as Cersei's Patsy but I think that's just setting us up for a season end break.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Francie said:

Melissandei "This is Jon Snow, King of the North; 998th Lord commander of the Night's Watch; the Savior of Hard Home; the Uniter of Wildings and the North; the Prince Who Was Promised,* Tamer of Direwolves; Wielder of Longclaw; Natural son of Lord Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell; Soon-to-be Miner of Dragon Glass, and Knower of Nothing."

You forgot "Master of The Lord's Kiss"... that would have gotten Dany's attention.  Lol

So you guys have covered most of it but I'll just make a few general observations:

-Davos definitely has some power over girls 12 and under, but I'm not sure Missendei was feeling it.  I do like that it might signal foreshadowing of those two eventually working together in some way.

-Neither Dany nor Jon seem to like Dragonstone.  Dany was glad when Tyrion told her they wouldn't stay there long, and Jon was anxious to leave as well.  Of course, for Jon it was more about getting back home and getting to work on his WW plan, but it's still interesting that the two people who belong there the most seem the most uncomfortable.

-I love how Melisandre has perfected the ability to drop a casual line as she exits that completely messes with someone's mind- in this case, Varys.  See also: "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

-Really, really loved Sam and Jorah's goodbye scene.  Iain Glen can just get to me unlike most of the characters on this show.

-Indira Varma was AMAZING in her scenes.  As was Diana Rigg.  RIP Olenna, you were one of a kind.

-So are we to understand that the Lannister armies are now stationed at Highgarden, Casterly Rock and King's Landing?  What about Riverrun?  Did Arya free Edmure and allow him to return home?  Is it back under Tully control?  The reason I mention this is because it would have served Jon better to mention to Dany that not only does he have the support of the North, but the Vale and potentially the Riverlands as well.  That might have caused Dany to consider negotiating more than demanding.

-On a superficial note, Jon looked amazingly regal on the cliff with the wind whipping his cloak around him.  Sigh.

• Love 6

At first I thought Highgarden was such a pushover because Olenna must've sent most of her troops to King's Landing to meet with the Dornish troops to besiege KL, as she'd agreed to do with Danaerys. But then it occurred to me that if she had, her troops would have met Jaime's troops coming FROM KL and battled before they ever got to Highgarden. Since it's established that Highgarden is rich and the Lannister troops are depleted, the idea that the Lannisters managed to so thoroughly defeat the Tyrrell troops that Olenna didn't even have time to shut Highgarden's gates and settle in for a siege doesn't make much sense. But then, a lot doesn't make sense in the show lately. *sigh*

Another thing that doesn't make much sense is all the reasons WHY Danaerys can't just mount her dragons and incinerate Euron's ships or the Red Keep. Because she might get hit with an arrow? Surely her Targaryen ancestors took this into account when riding into battle. Have her attack by night. Put her in full armor. Hell, build a tastefully appointed armored cockpit with an upholstered velvet pilot's seat and plentiful lookout slits on all sides and strap it to a dragon's back - they're certainly big enough to carry it. Having her refuse to use her most potent weapons is just contrived and dumb.

19 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Interestingly the episode had Jamie being mindful to give Olenna a merciful end, knowing she had lost all of her family.  I wonder if he had any insight to how close to that situation he himself is?

I imagine he's uneasily anticipating Cersei is going to be very pissed off at him for giving Olenna a merciful death when he tells her he found out she was responsible for killing Joffrey.

We have to remember, whatever Jamie gave Olenna likely was given to him by . . . Qyburn.  Qyburn could have gotten very different instructions from Cersei -- and it's not beyond belief that he would choose to go rogue entirely on his own either.  We didn't actually see Olenna succumb.

I like the idea someone had somewhere for Dany to do a fly-by.  No battle, no violence, just swoop by Kings Landing, or somewhere, on Drogon for more to see and be "impressed" by and spread the gossip.  Maybe even have him breath fire into the air for added effect.

• Love 2
Just now, sacrebleu said:

Who's running the Riverlands now that all the Frey's are dead?

I don't think Edmure could just walk in, although the people might be glad to have a Tully back.   But assuming Arya released him, he'd be better off going North to his niece or the Vale to his nephew.

(edited)
5 hours ago, anamika said:

But the Lannisters were the enemy the Starks were fighting against for killing their father. Not Stannis or any other king. Ned supported Stannis - he wanted Stannis on the throne. Last episode, Sansa called both the Targaryens and Tyrion untrustworthy.  LF supported the Lannisters over 4 seasons and Joffrey on the throne. He was not a neutral bystander like many of the Northern houses. That's why he got send to the Vale by Tywin- to get more support for the Lannisters.  Sansa wanted to punish the children of those who sided against the Starks during the battle of the bastards - not even their actual enemies - those people were already dead. She wanted their children punished - but LF? Who she knows has constantly manipulated and betrayed people including her aunt? Yeah, no punishment for him for siding against her family.

The Vale Lords again sat out the battle because Lysa did not want her men to die for Robb's war. Same as some of the Northern houses. They did not support the Lannisters. LF did. That's the difference.

And again, if Sansa is unaware of the treachery Ned faced in KL, why does she call him a fool?

And this is why I can't take Sansa seriously and why telling me that she's smart and clever through a variety of mouthpieces doesn't work for me or make it so.  She doesn't have all the information about what went down in KL or how Ned was betrayed, but her pie hole is always flapping like she's an authority. It doesn't bother me in the least that Bran chose her worst night ever to show her he's no longer merely her brother.  It may just be his way of making her see she's not as smart as she thinks she is as long as she keeps LF at Winterfell.  She seems incapable of not being manipulated by LF. And yet another Stark male has indicated that there is more at stake than being the warden in the north, but she seems to be married to that one thought and vulnerable to the whoremaster whispering in her ear.  Every time she doesn't shut Petyr down when it counts just shows me how out of her league she really is.  She's the weakest link at Winterfell.  We can only hope Brienne or Arya can save her from herself this time.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I like the idea someone had somewhere for Dany to do a fly-by.  No battle, no violence, just swoop by Kings Landing, or somewhere, on Drogon for more to see and be "impressed" by and spread the gossip.  Maybe even have him breath fire into the air for added effect.

Maybe sky-write "Surrender Cersei" a la the Wicked Witch of the West?

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, screamin said:

At first I thought Highgarden was such a pushover because Olenna must've sent most of her troops to King's Landing to meet with the Dornish troops to besiege KL, as she'd agreed to do with Danaerys. But then it occurred to me that if she had, her troops would have met Jaime's troops coming FROM KL and battled before they ever got to Highgarden. Since it's established that Highgarden is rich and the Lannister troops are depleted, the idea that the Lannisters managed to so thoroughly defeat the Tyrrell troops that Olenna didn't even have time to shut Highgarden's gates and settle in for a siege doesn't make much sense. But then, a lot doesn't make sense in the show lately. *sigh*

I think we're supposed to think more than just the Tarlys responded to Cersei's call for Reach bannermen to back the crown instead of one washed up old woman with no more heirs, judging by the size of the crowd in the throne room last week.  They may have siphoned off a good number of troops that otherwise would have been available to defend Highgarden.

At this point we can probably assume Dorne is left in chaos and maybe the Riverlands as well with no clear leader.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

Seems kind of a long road to travel just to be able to hack up that plot hairball in a way that it will be instantly believed -- the Show has thus far kind of hinted that LF knows there is more to the story but I hadn't ever really considered that none of them will believe him -- so they just had Bran be dead to all human sensibilities in order to be able to prime the dialog pump for an upcoming truth bomb, in all likelihood.  

If this is really the sum total of Bran's 7 season journey, that is unbelievably disappointing. 

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Easy, actually.  He split right after the ambush.  He would have still be right on the Unsullied's heels anyway, assuming they left Dragonstone at the same time as Yara.

He just had to have taken a different ship to KL with Yara and the Sand Snakes.

Or, he has two (or more) that are that big and grand.

This is a fine explanation, but it's pure fanwank. The show didn't bother to try explaining how Euron's ships were everywhere at once.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, screamin said:

Yeah, but in the book at least the visions had some limits, like Bran at first only being able to see things that happened near weirwood trees or through warged animals. But with the vision at the Tower of Joy - with nary a tree in sight, indoors and out - it kind of took off any possible limits on what can be seen anywhere, anytime - which still seems lazy to me. 

What?  I remember Bran and Meera being at a weir tree when he completed his ToJ vision. 

Just now, stagmania said:

This is a fine explanation, but it's pure fanwank. The show didn't bother to try explaining how Euron's ships were everywhere at once.

Well, exactly.  That's what everything has to be unless it's specifically shown on the show.  Someone asked, and this is my opinion as a response.  Take it or leave it, but it logically makes sense.

I'm not trying to tout it as "fact" but I will defend it as a perfectly reasonable explanation.  Please don't get me wrong when I respond to someone who says "no, that's impossible."  No, it's not impossible, it's actually highly probable, and I'm just explaining why.  Who knows what "really" happened.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

What?  I remember Bran and Meera being at a weir tree when he completed his ToJ vision. 

In the books, it was stipulated that Bran would (at least for quite some while) only be able to see things in the past that happened near weirtrees (since he is seeing through their carved 'eyes'). But in showing what happened in the Tower of Joy (where it is treeless) the showrunners tossed that rule in the wastebasket and basically made the point that Bran can see any moment anywhere in the past, which seems to me too much of a lazy narrative convenience.

Edited by screamin
13 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I think we're supposed to think more than just the Tarlys responded to Cersei's call for Reach bannermen to back the crown instead of one washed up old woman with no more heirs, judging by the size of the crowd in the throne room last week.

I don't think we have any particular reason to believe that House Tyrell is out of heirs. Tywin's threat to appoint Loras to the Kingsguard wasn't about exhausting the line; it was about the fact that Margaery's children would be next in line, and thus Highgarden would fall under the control of the Lannisters. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no particular reason to think that there aren't a bunch of Tyrell relations that would've fallen after Margaery's children in the line of succession.

Thus, unless we're told otherwise, I'm assuming that Olenna was overseeing the Reach on behalf of some poor dumb cousin who suddenly found him- or herself in charge of House Tyrell.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

Who's running the Riverlands now that all the Frey's are dead?

15 and 3/4 year-old-grandson, Walder, is probably fighting for control with 15 1/2 year-old son, Waldor. 

11 minutes ago, screamin said:

In the books, it was stipulated that Bran would (at least for quite some while) only be able to see things in the past that happened near weirtrees (since he is seeing through their carved 'eyes'). But in showing what happened in the Tower of Joy (where it is treeless) tossed that rule in the wastebasket and basically made the point that Bran can see any moment anywhere in the past, which seems to me too much of a lazy narrative convenience.

Whatever reveal will happen for the ToJ in the books will come through the people that were there. Honestly, if Rhaegar and Lyanna went into hiding or whatever, I find it fitting that it would be a place where there is no weirwood, they're basically hiding what they're doing from the old gods too. 

Ned himself could have revealed things to the old gods when Bran has that interrupted vision of him praying at the heart tree that "...let them grow up as brothers, and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive." This vision could be very important in the future, and for Bran, it will be straight out of the horse's mouth, so to speak if he can rewind it.

But yeah, what you said. It's lazy.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, domina89 said:

-So are we to understand that the Lannister armies are now stationed at Highgarden, Casterly Rock and King's Landing?  What about Riverrun?  

Jaime took most of the forces from Casterly Rock.  They had only a skeletal crew there. 

King's Landing should still have the gold cloaks, along with some Lannister soilders. 

Some may have been dispatched to Riverrun following the Frey massacre, we don't know yet. 

And whatever Lannister forces Jaime took to Highgarden were highly augmented by all the soldiers of the Reach bannermen who opted for Cersei over Daenerys. 

29 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, exactly.  That's what everything has to be unless it's specifically shown on the show.  Someone asked, and this is my opinion as a response.  Take it or leave it, but it logically makes sense.

I'm not trying to tout it as "fact" but I will defend it as a perfectly reasonable explanation.  Please don't get me wrong when I respond to someone who says "no, that's impossible."  No, it's not impossible, it's actually highly probable, and I'm just explaining why.  Who knows what "really" happened.

Sure. But if people are bothered that the show didn't do its work, that is also fine and they're not wrong for not being satisfied by fanwank. Which is not a comment specifically directed at you.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Sure. But if people are bothered that the show didn't do its work, that is also fine and they're not wrong for not being satisfied by fanwank. Which is not a comment specifically directed at you.

Right, I know. ;-)  

(And to clarify again, I'm not saying anyone is wrong if they don't want to adopt my theory.  That's perfectly fine!  Just don't tell me it's factually impossible or that I am "wrong," because it's a logical possibility based on what we know.)

ETA:  But also, if the show aired every single minute detail, including how people travel and days where they are just twiddling their thumbs while sailing on a ship, then we'd probably be able to read the published books before the show finished. :-)  They just can't show everything.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 1

I think it's interesting that even now knowing Jon Snow is not the son of Ned, he still acts a lot like him. He's too damn proud and by the book and noble and honorable for his own damn good. On the other hand, Daenerys isn't Queen of the 7 kingdoms yet. She likes to call herself that, but she doesn't have the iron throne yet. I thought the scene between them was perfect. The contrast perfectly encapsulated the essence of both of their characters. I personally don't want to see "chemistry" between them - not of the sexual variety, anyway. I know a lot of people are speculating they'll wind up together, and some are hoping for it, but he's her nephew, so yuck. (And yes, I say yuck to Jamie and Cersei too.) 

Again - while this episode really delivered the goods, it was yet another big win for Cersei and I'm sick to death of it. I keep hearing "Oh, well, they have to give her some wins so it's more even, more competitive," blah blah blah. But Cersei always wins.  She wins ever damn week. That's not "even." That's just her always winning, and I've spent six season now watching her kill all her enemies and now she's gotten rid of lady Olenna too. I'm just so damn sick of it. And I'm dreading the inevitable death - at her hands - of at least one of the dragons.

She needs killin'. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And I'm dreading the inevitable death - at her hands - of at least one of the dragons.

I totally agree.  I don't think there's anything that could upset me more on this show than killing one or more of the dragons, and I just know it's coming.

Does Daenerys even have much of an army left at this point?  Her forces looked so formidable, but seemed to have been thinned out very quickly.  Does she even have enough men to be of good use to Jon Snow anymore, let alone to take Westeros?  

When the Dragonstone crew were discussing why they couldn't use the dragons because that meant putting Dany in harm's way, I was expecting someone to mention that they need to find riders for Viserion and Rhaegal.  If only Danaerys had someone advising her who was fascinated by dragons as a child., someone who knows Westerosi history and could point out that Aegon's sisters were riders also, and were able to split their dragons up to attack multiple regions at the same time...

I guess we'll get that when one of the smaller dragons lands next to Jon and starts nudging him with a wing until he mounts.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's interesting that even now knowing Jon Snow is not the son of Ned, he still acts a lot like him. He's too damn proud and by the book and noble and honorable for his own damn good. On the other hand, Daenerys isn't Queen of the 7 kingdoms yet. She likes to call herself that, but she doesn't have the iron throne yet. I thought the scene between them was perfect. The contrast perfectly encapsulated the essence of both of their characters. I personally don't want to see "chemistry" between them - not of the sexual variety, anyway. I know a lot of people are speculating they'll wind up together, and some are hoping for it, but he's her nephew, so yuck. (And yes, I say yuck to Jamie and Cersei too.) 

Again - while this episode really delivered the goods, it was yet another big win for Cersei and I'm sick to death of it. I keep hearing "Oh, well, they have to give her some wins so it's more even, more competitive," blah blah blah. But Cersei always wins.  She wins ever damn week. That's not "even." That's just her always winning, and I've spent six season now watching her kill all her enemies and now she's gotten rid of lady Olenna too. I'm just so damn sick of it. And I'm dreading the inevitable death - at her hands - of at least one of the dragons.

She needs killin'. 

I agree with your ideas about Jon and Dany, I have no wish to see them as a couple.  Yes, he absolutely is a Stark, ironically more like Ned than his own children from what we've seen.  Matter of fact, I think Jon is going to be a bit devastated by the parental reveal because you can see how carefully he has held himself and striven to be worthy to be acknowledged Ned's bastard.  Ned loved Jon and vice versa.  That is going to be an enormous gut punch.  I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't find out via a source other than Bran, and Bran is meant to give the news to Sansa and Arya, etc. instead.

Until this week I found myself very frustrated at Cersei's constant triumphs.  After this episode I reached the conclusion we've been watching the tide ebb further and further since last season and inevitably it's going to come back in in a monstrous wave crashing above her head.  Somehow it made me more content to sit, watch and enjoy the machinations. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Does Daenerys even have much of an army left at this point?  Her forces looked so formidable, but seemed to have been thinned out very quickly.  Does she even have enough men to be of good use to Jon Snow anymore, let alone to take Westeros?  

I think the dragons could get close enough to wights to burn them?

Admittedly tyrion 's plans are way too smart for their own good, but why does Jamie seem to know those plans. Especially  since com on sense would dictate  that they would be attacking kings landing?

I've been thinking... One of the main reasons Jaime got over Cersei in the books were Tyrion's words about Lancel, Osmund Kettleback and Moon Boy. So, as far as I remember, Cersei didn't sleep with Kettleback in the show, but she seems to be making a similar deal with Euron. So maybe Euron eventually asks for sex and she has to give it and it's then when Jaime thinks WOW, THIS IS TOO MUCH, SIS, like he did in the books. It'd be too little and too late, but I find hard to believe that show!Jaime is going to be loyal to her until the bitter end if that's not the case in the books.

2 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Admittedly tyrion 's plans are way too smart for their own good, but why does Jamie seem to know those plans. Especially  since com on sense would dictate  that they would be attacking kings landing?

All three siblings grew up observing Tywin Lannister, suffered his critiques.  It's not unlikely they all learned quite a bit of very similar strategic planning.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well, he was entirely raised by Ned and more driven than his siblings to prove himself a good son thanks to his bastard status, so him being the most like Ned tracks for me. As far as the romance factor, it doesn't bother me because Dany and Jon are adults who don't know each other at all. Any ick factor there for me would be much more about a familial bond, and they have none, unlike Jaime and Cersei. And in this universe, finding out that they share a bloodline, but not too closely, won't be much of an obstacle. I don't know, I just don't feel the yuck on this one. Maybe I'll feel differently as it develops.

6 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Yes, he absolutely is a Stark, ironically more like Ned than his own children from what we've seen.  Matter of fact, I think Jon is going to be a bit devastated by the parental reveal because you can see how carefully he has held himself and striven to be worthy to be acknowledged Ned's bastard.  Ned loved Jon and vice versa.  That is going to be an enormous gut punch. 

Completely agree with this. Jon is proud of being Ned's son. And I'm sure he wants nothing to do with being the Targaryen heir.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I totally agree.  I don't think there's anything that could upset me more on this show than killing one or more of the dragons, and I just know it's coming.

She has the Dothraki.  If Jon was able to utilize the wildlings in battle, surely the Dothraki can be used effectively.

(edited)

I’m hoping we get a big “fuck you Cersei” from Lady Oleanna. Cersei blew up the Sept along with both of her grandchildren. She knew of their demise before meeting Danerys at Dragonstone. For someone who has always been a cunning strategist, I wonder if she may have already met with Tarley Senior prior to his meet with Cersei/Jaime at King’s Landing. Maybe she made a deal with him to step down and he is the big cheese of Highgarden already but playing dumb and being a double agent in KL. Lady Oleanna’s power was gold and grains, she knew their power was not their army. I wonder if she already hid her gold and grains and moved them elsewhere. I think she knew this was a suicide mission. As for her land, she doesn’t care about it anymore. What she cares about is revenge and making sure there are things in place for Cersei’s downfall.

I hope we see that next week, Jaime going to uncover the “gold” from Highgarden and realizing it’s gone and not nearly enough to pay the iron bank. As well as all of the grain is gone. What will Cersei do if they have empty coffers?

I don’t think Jaime will tell Cersei about Lady Oleanna being the one to poison Jeoffrey. If he does he is an idiot as this will not change her mind about Tyrion.

There was a scene of Jon bringing up the fact that the last time he and Tyrion were together they took a piss off The Wall. I was hoping that during Broodfest, they would both take a whizz off the Cliffs.

Does Danearys have any control over her dragons? As in can she communicate with them and tell them what to do? Can Jon “warg” into a dragon’s mind as he did with the eagle and the Wildings or with Ghost?

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 1

Just started Page one, so I'll give my quick impression before catching up.

in a nut shell Loved this episode,  for me season 7 hitting all or mostly all the notes.

Jon and Dany, a lady of 1000 titles and a Bastard who's King in his lands.

Tyrion and Jon- relly liked how Tyrion quickly asked about Sansa and to let him know the marriage was a farce and unconsummated.

Davos as level headed as always.

Mel putting the scare in Varys; looks like they both die ( but Mels been wrong B4 ) according to the Red Priestess.

Cersei and Elaria; damn did Indira sell that scene and Lena this is the only time I feel for her;  Myrcella was a total gift, Elaria deserves everything she got coming.

I thought the Samwell offering a hand to Jorah sooooo damn satisfying, loved that, what will Sam find in those scrolls and books?

I was really ok without a major battle, I liked that Jaimie learned something from the Young Wolf, but I truly loved QOT getting the last stab in at the Lannisters; "I want Cersei to know it was me" and telling Jamie dude she's going to be the death of you.

Now,WINTERFELL!!! : one question where was Brienne? she should have been in there . Sansa's arc is now close to back on track, just in WF and not the Vale, she's planning, she understands the food situation, she understood the Armour needs leather encasement or should be all leather for the Winter, she must have learned something in 13 or so years from her parents.

Wolcum mentioning Raven scrolls and we see next weeks with papers in front of Sansa.

LF actually giving Sansa a very good piece of advice, plan the strategies of war before the battle begins ; Will that be against Cersei, or as some think against Jon?

OH Man ; Bran  is tripping and distant Sansa in tears, Meera worn out tiered and aged Sansa better reward that girl, she's a Northern hero.

Then the Godswood now some people think he's describing a wedding dress in the future ( I don't think so ) Bran tells Sansa he knows past and present events, they come in pieces; then he brings up her wedding night, what I found strange was " I'm sorry it had to happen at our home " so does that mean he let it happened even though he may have been able to warg Theon and stop it? Strange wording; Sansa must have felt violated many times over from that conversation.

Also apology if my words offended folks the other day. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

I've been thinking... One of the main reasons Jaime got over Cersei in the books were Tyrion's words about Lancel, Osmund Kettleback and Moon Boy. So, as far as I remember, Cersei didn't sleep with Kettleback in the show, but she seems to be making a similar deal with Euron. So maybe Euron eventually asks for sex and she has to give it and it's then when Jaime thinks WOW, THIS IS TOO MUCH, SIS, like he did in the books. It'd be too little and too late, but I find hard to believe that show!Jaime is going to be loyal to her until the bitter end if that's not the case in the books.

Yes, he seems to not care one whit about Cersei's politics, for him, it's whom she chooses to love. After she wildfire bombed the Sept, I thought Jaime was gonna drop her like a hot mic. That he would immediately make the connection to Aerys. I don't have the exact dialogue from this episode, but Jaime's argument with Olenna - about whether the small folk will care what methods Cersei uses to win - again confirmed that he'll make exceptions on this point for Cersei. So again, I'm thinking that only when he feels personally betrayed, will he turn on her. I guess that's pretty consistent to his character, all the way from S1E1, when he's shown to have no moral center when it comes to kids in windows, only selfish personal desires to be with her at all costs. He's amoral but also in love, politics be damned. They seem to capture this essence on screen--but I am totally open to savaging the show runners on his character arc.

9 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

I’m hoping we get a big “fuck you Cersei” from Lady Oleanna. Cersei blew up the Sept along with both of her grandchildren. She knew of their demise before meeting Danerys at Dragonstone. For someone who has always been a cunning strategist, I wonder if she may have already met with Tarley Senior prior to his meet with Cersei/Jaime at King’s Landing. Maybe she made a deal with him to step down and he is the big cheese of Highgarden already but playing dumb and being a double agent in KL. Lady Oleanna’s power was gold and grains, she knew their power was not their army. I wonder if she already hid her gold and grains and moved them elsewhere. I think she knew this was a suicide mission. As for her land, she doesn’t care about it anymore. What she cares about is revenge and making sure there are things in place for Cersei’s downfall.

I hope we see that next week, Jaime going to uncover the “gold” from Highgarden and realizing it’s gone and not nearly enough to pay the iron bank. As well as all of the grain is gone. What will Cersei do if they have empty coffers?

I don’t think Jaime will tell Cersei about Lady Oleanna being the one to poison Jeoffrey. If he does he is an idiot as this will not change her mind about Tyrion.

There was a scene of Jon bringing up the fact that the last time he and Tyrion were together they took a piss off The Wall. I was hoping that during Broodfest, they would both take a whizz off the Cliffs.

Does Danearys have any control over her dragons? As in can she communicate with them and tell them what to do? Can Jon “warg” into a dragon’s mind as he did with the eagle and the Wildings or with Ghost?

The idea of the empty coffers is pretty delicious.  Something's got to payoff for the prominence of "A Lannister always pays his debts.".

I could buy Tarly pulling a Bolton in reverse -- if we hadn't had him so firmly established as quite the piece of work.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, anamika said:

Getting tired of Cersei and the Lannisters always winning . Enough of this nonsense. I hope Dany hits them hard next episode.

Well they weren't always winning against Robb, took some deceit, from the Freys, Boltons and a huge screw up from Robb.

The Lannisters may no longer have Gold; but they do have the best war strategist between the two factions, they also got a evil genius as a "Maester "

Danny, has to learn this stuff, but really doesn't have the time or the people, Tyrion and Varys can't match Tarly,Jamie, Quyburn and Cersei herself looks more knowledgeable than Danny at the moment.

The Lone Wolf taught Jamie something though.

Edited by GrailKing
lurn to learn----Duh : (
3 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

The idea of the empty coffers is pretty delicious.  Something's got to payoff for the prominence of "A Lannister always pays his debts.".

I could buy Tarly pulling a Bolton in reverse -- if we hadn't had him so firmly established as quite the piece of work.

That's the point, all of them sort play double agent, none of them put their eggs in one basket. I could see him cutting a deal with Lady Oleanna and Cersei without either knowing. Whoever comes up on top, he'll say he was backing them because he wants to ensure a place for his younger son/heir Dickon.

Hopefully Oleanna was smart enough to hide all of the grains and gold and not have told Tarley senior where it is.

(edited)
3 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Sure.  He arrived at KL in smaller ship instead of his biggest when everyone in KL was celebrating his conquest.   

I guess we can continue this debate next week when we see Euron in his mothership leading the invasion to Casterly Rock ;) 

LOL! I am with you on this one. So much of this story is contrived, defying the space time continuum to give Cersei these military victories. Euron has an armada with an unlimited number of ships that he must be beaming all over Westeros as needed. It is the only explanation for how his large fleet keeps magically popping up and sneaking up on Yara and the Tyrell/Martell fleets unseen. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, mac123x said:

Bran and Sansa reunion was nice.  Littlefinger better get his comeuppance soon.

Oh, he's so screwed, Sansa has Dr. Watson, I mean Branhatten, nope,nope Google on steroids in the house, she's gonna use that to the hilt.

The "stupid little girl " ain't stupid Jon and Tyrion agree on that.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I agree with your ideas about Jon and Dany, I have no wish to see them as a couple.  Yes, he absolutely is a Stark, ironically more like Ned than his own children from what we've seen.  Matter of fact, I think Jon is going to be a bit devastated by the parental reveal because you can see how carefully he has held himself and striven to be worthy to be acknowledged Ned's bastard.  Ned loved Jon and vice versa.  That is going to be an enormous gut punch.  I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't find out via a source other than Bran, and Bran is meant to give the news to Sansa and Arya, etc. instead.

Until this week I found myself very frustrated at Cersei's constant triumphs.  After this episode I reached the conclusion we've been watching the tide ebb further and further since last season and inevitably it's going to come back in in a monstrous wave crashing above her head.  Somehow it made me more content to sit, watch and enjoy the machinations. 

Agree on "no couple"- it's boring. Like, AF.  

And I also think this elaborate lie on Ned's part, though very difficult for Jon, does demonstrate a tremendous love both for Jon and for Lyanna. It's going to be hard for Jon to know that Ned isn't his father. I do wonder how long it will be before Jon knows. Bran does say, in that weird detached way, that he has to speak to Jon. 

And one of my favourite details from the book is the looks of the Stark children- Arya and Jon look like Starks (dark hair, grey eyes) more than the other four. Arya looking like Lyanna was a tell that Lyanna is Jon's mother. Anyway, it's a bit of an irritant for Catelyn that Ned's bastard son looks more like a Stark than four of her true born children, with their red Tully hair. Sansa's the only one in the show that has it. It's kind of amazing how the look of families plays so heavily in this universe.

I mean, Baratheons looking a certain way for centuries started the entire war. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Colorful Mess said:

Yes, he seems to not care one whit about Cersei's politics, for him, it's whom she chooses to love. After she wildfire bombed the Sept, I thought Jaime was gonna drop her like a hot mic. That he would immediately make the connection to Aerys. I don't have the exact dialogue from this episode, but Jaime's argument with Olenna - about whether the small folk will care what methods Cersei uses to win - again confirmed that he'll make exceptions on this point for Cersei. So again, I'm thinking that only when he feels personally betrayed, will he turn on her. I guess that's pretty consistent to his character, all the way from S1E1, when he's shown to have no moral center when it comes to kids in windows, only selfish personal desires to be with her at all costs. He's amoral but also in love, politics be damned. They seem to capture this essence on screen--but I am totally open to savaging the show runners on his character arc.

Really diminishes his character, though, if he's totes okay with her being a female pyromaniac Aerys the Mad - but if she fucks somebody else, he's through, dammit! If that's his impetus for turning against Cersei, it would make Jaime seem irretrievably petty.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I think we're supposed to think more than just the Tarlys responded to Cersei's call for Reach bannermen to back the crown instead of one washed up old woman with no more heirs, judging by the size of the crowd in the throne room last week.  They may have siphoned off a good number of troops that otherwise would have been available to defend Highgarden.

At this point we can probably assume Dorne is left in chaos and maybe the Riverlands as well with no clear leader.

Also if Randyll Tarly has officially been made Lord Protector of the Reach and Warden of the South then all the bannermen answer his call, not the Tyrells.

I firmly believe the Lannisters are going to lose but the numbers were so lopsided in Dany's favor that they had to even the numbers plus with Dany and her armies lack of knowledge of Westeros land, they were bound to have some losses before striking back.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Damn. Cersei is merciless. I think that's why no one can really challenge her. In the end, Jon and Dany and Sansa and I dare say even Littlefinger simply don't have the ruthlessness of Cersei. 

I think Dany has the ruthlessness, so does LF ( but he wait at the sideline for the victor ) Jon could get the people and he has other's in his corner, but Sansa; Sansa knows Cersei even better then LF or even Cersei herself does this become Sansa VS Cersei, does Jamie and Brienne sides with Sansa? 

Damn? where's that book.