Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

Yeah, Lawson has been suspected since last fall when JD flew Jinger and Joy to TN to attend a Vols' football game.

He will be 23 at the end of July.  I think he has been delaying commitment because, in their world, it would mean immediate marriage and fatherhood.  I hope he waits at least another year or two.

I still can't see Kelly Jo being happy about any of her kids getting married to a Duggar only because of Boob and MEchelle. 

Skylar Weiss was HOT whatever happened to him? He and Jinger would look good together. Lawson I'm still on the fence about whether he is adult enough yet to get married. 

• Love 1

I still can't see Kelly Jo being happy about any of her kids getting married to a Duggar only because of Boob and MEchelle. 

Skylar Weiss was HOT whatever happened to him? He and Jinger would look good together. Lawson I'm still on the fence about whether he is adult enough yet to get married. 

Lawson has lived a sheltered life, too.  But at least he owns his own business and is making a musical career for himself, which is more than the Duggar boys who still just do odd jobs for their father.  Lawson, however, does look and act more like a 16-year-old than an adult.

• Love 1

Not necessarily. The Bateseseses seem to encourage a longer "get to know you" phase, which is probably why they have produced what appears to be four happy marriages so far.

By contrast, Muffy and Derick only knew one another about six months before courtship, and Benessa was even shorter, about four months.

• Love 3

Not necessarily. The Bateseseses seem to encourage a longer "get to know you" phase, which is probably why they have produced what appears to be four happy marriages so far.

By contrast, Muffy and Derick only knew one another about six months before courtship, and Benessa was even shorter, about four months.

It'll be interesting to see moving forward how many marriages remain intact re: the Bateseseses and the Duggars. I'm guessing the B's may win that race. And for that reason alone, if Jinger is really pre-courting with Lawson Bates, it may be a good match.

I'll take my response about Benessa and Jilly Muffin/Triple D to the appropriate thread.

• Love 1

Skyler Weiss has been a "sergeant" at ALERT for quite some time now. He was there as a cadet with Josiah, and from looking at old group pictures, he never left. Pity, because he and Jinger are well-matched agewise.

• Love 2

Actually, Jill and Derick started a formal courting relationship the first time they met each other face-to-face (when Jim Bob took Jill to Nepal to meet him)!  They had only talked via Skype before that and those conversations were always in the presence of Jim Bob and Michelle.  Before that, Jill famously told her parents, "I think I'm in love with someone I have never met."  Jill was in love with love, not with Derick.

• Love 7

Before that, Jill famously told her parents, "I think I'm in love with someone I have never met."  Jill was in love with love, not with Derick.

Anybody who says something like that has no business marrying anybody. I find it darkly hilarious that a patriarchal cult full of grown men seem to have a tween romance-novel grasp of adult human relationships.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 10

Actually, Jill and Derick started a formal courting relationship the first time they met each other face-to-face (when Jim Bob took Jill to Nepal to meet him)! They had only talked via Skype before that and those conversations were always in the presence of Jim Bob and Michelle. Before that, Jill famously told her parents, "I think I'm in love with someone I have never met." Jill was in love with love, not with Derick.

And my math was wrong: they were about 3 months on Skype, 3 months courting, and 3 months engaged. So, they had about 6 months (minus the two months he remained in Nepal in their courtship).

If Jinger is really "getting to know" Lawson, they are certainly taking their time, which must seem weird to her. Then again, they may have called it off, or neither show would approve the other filming, which would be a fiscal disaster for everyone involved.

• Love 1

I'm on the fence about Lawson and Jinger. To be quite honest, Lawson comes off as a big time wuss on Bringing Up Bates. He's the most handsome out of the Lawson/Nathan/Trace trio, but he's very immature.

I do think they'd have a lot in common, as both of them are into artsy hobbies, but I'd rather die a Spinster than have the Duggars for in-laws.

• Love 4

It'll be interesting to see moving forward how many marriages remain intact re: the Bateseseses and the Duggars. I'm guessing the B's may win that race. And for that reason alone, if Jinger is really pre-courting with Lawson Bates, it may be a good match.

I'll take my response about Benessa and Jilly Muffin/Triple D to the appropriate thread.

But there's that pitbull tenacity the Duggars seem to have. Rictus smiles, spousal death grips, and all. Hey, they can even birth their own babies. Kind of.

Are the Bateseses (lol) smart enough to steer clear of the Duggar offerings?

• Love 3

Anybody who says something like that has no business marrying anybody. I find it darkly hilarious that a patriarchal cult full of grown men seem to have a tween romance-novel grasp of adult human relationships.

Just throwing this one out here.

A tween romance novel (otherwise known as a YA, or Young Adult) wouldn't get past an editor at any legitimate publishing house without some semblance of plot development. Insta-love is so 2005.

• Love 1

Are the Bateseses (lol) smart enough to steer clear of the Duggar offerings?

We've already seen the "keep sweet", sub-Tweeting variety passive aggressiveness from J-Chelle toward her in-laws. Who can forget the fact they treated Cathy Dillard as an afterthought? J-Chelle informed Gwinn Seewald she'd be a "grandparent" in a year on-camera. One can only imagine the convo between the Duggars and Anna's parents after the big news broke on Joshley Madison because Anna is still in Tontitown.

I get the general impression that Kelly Bateseses doesn't play that. It's hard to imagine their being thrilled over Duggars as in-laws. If it happened, however, I think Jinger would end up living in Tennessee.

• Love 4

Just catching up on this sub forum...

Who the heck needs to go to school to learn how to detail cars? Here's a rag and a Q-tip, have at it!

THAT they go to school for. Basic education, electrical work, building houses, midwifing: just pick it up from YouTube or by following someone around wearing flip-flops.

I think I sprained my eyeballs rolling them.

• Love 13

Just catching up on this sub forum...

Who the heck needs to go to school to learn how to detail cars? Here's a rag and a Q-tip, have at it!

THAT they go to school for. Basic education, electrical work, building houses, midwifing: just pick it up from YouTube or by following someone around wearing flip-flops.

I think I sprained my eyeballs rolling them.

What what??? Someone is taking car detailing classes?

• Love 1

Don't know if anyone else has posted about this but Jana has an unusual speech pattern.  When she pronounces a word that ends in 'ng' she adds a 'k' sound.  And example would be 'walkingk'.  It's subtle but I noticed it.

• Love 2

I'm thinking Jinger may be interested in the car mechanic guy that was teaching Justin. They said his name but we didn't see too much of him.

I also notice pastor whathisface and wondered why they included him at all for the few seconds he appeared. At first it seems it was similar to showing the 'electricianish' friend who helped/didn't help Jana install the lights, sort of a nod to the person really doing the work. Now I wonder if they are introducing cast members....er courting peeps. 

• Love 2

Don't know if anyone else has posted about this but Jana has an unusual speech pattern.  When she pronounces a word that ends in 'ng' she adds a 'k' sound.  And example would be 'walkingk'.  It's subtle but I noticed it.

Christine Brown of The Sister Wives does the same thing.

Don't know if anyone else has posted about this but Jana has an unusual speech pattern. When she pronounces a word that ends in 'ng' she adds a 'k' sound. And example would be 'walkingk'. It's subtle but I noticed it.

You're totally right, I think it's a nasal thing.

They'll all remain intact. There is no divorce in their world.

So does Madea. 

• Love 3

They'll all remain intact. There is no divorce in their world.

Former fundie here.

There's divorce in their world. It's just not publicized when it happens. It happened in my former fundie church on several occasions. It was quick, quiet, and never talked about.

And if any of these marquee-type marriages ends, you can count on a book tour, speeches at churches about how to overcome heartbreak (by making lots and lots of money, usually) and a self-help book about "reclaiming your life in Christ" or some other BS that the leghumpers will swallow.

The "community" church I attended briefly ten years ago even had a "divorce ministry". In other words, it's become clear to the PTB that unless they relax their stance somewhat, there's an awful lot of butts (and wallets) walking out the door. They're most concerned about the dollars.

IMHO of course.

• Love 13
(edited)

I hope Jana is quietly embezzling.

I want to have a covenant marriage with this comment.

Regarding Jana's hard K sound, man, it's so much less annoying than her siblings' complete neglect of the 'g' altogether.

Edited by Pachengala
  • Love 7

My hearing is good but I often don't understand words they say on this show.  One example, when Jessa was saying Can Lights last week I thought I heard ken lights, or something like that.  There were a couple of other instances but can't recall what they were.  I probably don't want to recall.

I don't get why Jessa & Jill did, and why any of the future J's would do, the covenant marriage thing. No one goes into marriage with their eye on divorce. And if I understand it correctly, a covenant marriage just has a couple more hoops to jump through in order to get a divorce. So it's really no different then than the divorces back in the day, before no fault.

• Love 4

Because I don't think they understand, or maybe their church doesn't recognize, Sacraments. Holy, sacred agreements that recognize and confirm their devotion to God. So they reinvent the wheel with Covenant Marriages to prove they have a holy, sacred, agreements with God.

• Love 7
(edited)

Bolding mine.

My hearing is good but I often don't understand words they say on this show. One example, when Jessa was saying Can Lights last week I thought I heard ken lights, or something like that. There were a couple of other instances but can't recall what they were. I probably don't want to recall.

Well, considering that Ben is "Bin" maybe those lights are "kin"?

Hm, that sounds wrong on a couple of levels.

Edited by NewDigs

Because I don't think they understand, or maybe their church doesn't recognize, Sacraments. Holy, sacred agreements that recognize and confirm their devotion to God. So they reinvent the wheel with Covenant Marriages to prove they have a holy, sacred, agreements with God.

Don't they have communion?  That's a sacrament under any religion iteration I can think of, thus I don't think they could have a problem with the main theory.

Don't they have communion?  That's a sacrament under any religion iteration I can think of, thus I don't think they could have a problem with the main theory.

I can see the disclaimer: Any resemblance to the Catholic faith is purely coincidental.

• Love 2

Do they have communion? I've never really thought about this, but if they home church how would that even work? Does someone just bake some wafers and Boob hands them out along with the grape juice?

• Love 1

Do they have communion? I've never really thought about this, but if they home church how would that even work? Does someone just bake some wafers and Boob hands them out along with the grape juice?

It's usually grape juice and little square crackers if you're Baptist. prayer first as a blessing, but no belief in transfiguration. If your super cool (aka Bin) and all hip and holy, you may see a loaf of homemade bread and the juice in one rustic looking goblet, then poured into the little communion cups.

You can buy crackers (wafers are usually too Catholic) or even little prepackaged cups of juice with a sealed cracker or wafer on top at bible book stores.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dunno, I've never watched enough 19 Kids, but I would guess if there is communion they believe in, it would have been done at/part of the weddings.  like Razzleberry Pie beat me to it; it's the act of consumption and not so much the materials, that's the ceremony.  There's also traditionally some language about how you should not take communion "unless you are in a right position with God" or similar; what "that condition" is, is left up to you and your own definition.  If you were on the road and couldn't find a Catholic church and ducked into theirs, you could take their communion as a stranger and if it was OK by your lights, it'd be OK by the fundies'.

Edited by queenanne

Actually communion at weddings isn't that common the more evangelical/low church you get. Communion is almost an after thought with a lot of fundies, but with the Internet, and hipster fundies like bin discovering old traditions, you see more and more high church traditions coming back in vogue.

Prime example - 15 years ago, pre social media, it seemed to me like Lent and Advent were some of those things most fundies and fundie lights scoffed at as being meaningless and ceremonial dogma. Only heathens paid attention to that stuff. Now it seems like every Campus Crusade and homeschool hipster with wiki access has discovered older traditions, and has to profoundly and solemnly reinvent them and educate everyone about how holy they are for make a wreath or whatever.

• Love 6

The lonely J's sound less southern than Jessa.

Jessa started with the fake Southern accent once she started to get booked for Southern Women-type speaking engagements. If women in the Northeast were willing to pay for Jessa, we'd hear her wicked Bostonian accent.
  • Love 7
(edited)

There are Christian stores that sell communion bread and wafers. I doubt you have to be certified in any way to buy them. ... Back in the Stone Age when I was a kid, though, I think ladies of the church just cut slightly stale Wonder Bread into cubes. (.. it was Wonder bread, after all...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Actually communion at weddings isn't that common the more evangelical/low church you get. Communion is almost an after thought with a lot of fundies, but with the Internet, and hipster fundies like bin discovering old traditions, you see more and more high church traditions coming back in vogue.

PERFECT opportunity to incorporate a pimp cup into your rap routine, Bin!

• Love 7