Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

Omg- 

this was on the "Ah the life" blog entitled "Bringing home Rebecca."  Oddly, it has been removed. Her headship is serving time in federal prison for international arms sale and she/they are grifting so she can remain home. 

Pictures are in the Way Back Machine which isn't allowing me to link from my tablet.   Get googling ladies, this is a gem. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I remember denim.  Lots of denim. 

Wasn't her her name Rebecca or Rebekah?  I have a vague recollection of it being called “Bringing Rebecca/Rebekah Home”, which always struck me as kind of creepy, as if she’d died. 

I’m sure for her it was something like a death. The death of her agency and personality. I could only imagine how embarrassing that must have been to be dragged off from a job where one had insurance, friends, and a purpose because your headshit  and other beta males in your family decided you can’t work anymore.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, louannems said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101018014408/http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/2006/09/bringing-home-rebecca.html

"A little princess who will never know the workplace".

A new house wife who will never again have to work for a MAN.

GAG

Ok..which one of you wrote this way back then?!  Someone started snarking years ago. :)

"Anonymous said...

So what happens when your husband dies or loses his job?

You then have no job skills, no recent work history, and a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. Life insurance and unemployment are never enough to last more than a year. So how, exactly, do you plan to get by when your source of financial support goes away? 

Husbands don't live forever. Jobs don't last forever. Unless you have a backup plan, you're stuck trying to make ends meet on welfare or church assistance--neither of which goes very far.

ALL women should keep up their education and job skills in order to serve their families in times of crisis. Taking off a little time here and there to be with infants is understandable. But don't fall into the trap of letting job skills go to seed."

• Love 18
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:40 AM, floridamom said:

Jana 'being courted by this guy'?//More like Jana babysitting. I hope she isn't doing either. I think she really missed the boat when Jeremy was up for grabs. Where was Boob going to find a then-28 year old guy, whose never been married or widowed, has no children, is religious, and it tall and good looking? I'm sure he's handy around the house too.  He's an athlete and has a good body. Jana is still quite the mystery to me. She doesn't add up in to me taking in to account their belief system....women marry young and start to produce ASAP and often. Perhaps there's something 'not right' with Jana? After all, she is the eldest of the girls and has the worst experience of her parents' being new to this Gothard lifestyle and felt their intense pressure to conform. I think that after these years and all of those children, even Jim Bob and Michelle have mellowed a little....privately.

Publicly, they still preach the same old stuff. Jana could be the worst casualty of the 19.

Maybe there was something about Jeremy she did not care for. Yes, he may be considered a great catch for a Duggar girl, but in the great theme of life, he may  not have been a great catch for Jana.

In relation to a husband dying. My sister-in-law stayed at home after having her first son and adopting her second son when my brother-in-law died suddenly. She has been lucky to find a substitute teaching job where she lives because friends and family help her get the job. I think she may get some monthly settlement money from the place where her husband work because he was at work when he took a nasty fall off a grain freight train car and had a stroke. She is one of the lucky ones because most schools require substitute teacher to have some form of college education before even been considered. If a Duggar son-in-law died, the daughter probably would move in with JB and Michelle, or they would hurry up and find her a new husband.

Edited by bigskygirl

"Obedient"??? what is she, a 2 year old little girl? So now, her husband can treat her any way he likes and she's powerless to tell him off. She has NO ability to leave or change things for fear that HE will tell HER to leave...  Being a stay at home mother is a great thing, too, but the REASONS for it need to be correct and the woman should be treated right by her husband.

I love the thinking that a woman is created SOLEY FOR HIS purposes, interests and life's work? Come on, now, I see a breeding ground for abusive husbands.

• Love 13

Wow, that brings back memories. I was sure there was cake, though! Oops! Cheapskate! 

I can't believe that I've been following fundies for this long. I'm sure someone on FJ found this blog way back when; I never would have found that blog post on my own!

The Duggars were my gateway fundies, followed in short order by Stevehovah and those cheery Maxwells.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’m sure for her it was something like a death. The death of her agency and personality. I could only imagine how embarrassing that must have been to be dragged off from a job where one had insurance, friends, and a purpose because your headshit  and other beta males in your family decided you can’t work anymore.

Headshit, I love that!  So true and descriptive.  I'll probably steal that word!

• Love 5

I am still just speechless that these people thought this was a good thing to do. Like she was a mindless child who they were doing a great favor for. How humiliating. I would last a day among that mindset before ...well, it wouldn't be pretty!

• Love 13

http://web.archive.org/web/20101018015217/http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/2008/07/what-if-he-dies-follow-up-to-bringing.html

did anyone read this? It explains why none of the Duggar men (including the sons in law) will ever have a real job. They never answer the question of what the wife will do if her mast....oops husband dies. She won't even be able to collect SS benefits for herself and all her blessings as the headship will have never paid in to the system. That's really taking care of your family. Sarcasm intended...

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Luvmy300zx said:

I am still just speechless that these people thought this was a good thing to do. Like she was a mindless child who they were doing a great favor for. How humiliating. I would last a day among that mindset before ...well, it wouldn't be pretty!

Of course they thought it was a good idea. It was an opportunity for them to "spread the word" and to "witness" among the heathen,

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Luvmy300zx said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101018015217/http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/2008/07/what-if-he-dies-follow-up-to-bringing.html

did anyone read this? It explains why none of the Duggar men (including the sons in law) will ever have a real job. They never answer the question of what the wife will do if her mast....oops husband dies. She won't even be able to collect SS benefits for herself and all her blessings as the headship will have never paid in to the system. That's really taking care of your family. Sarcasm intended...

And yet, at one point the writer claims that it is putting the women (or, in fact, anyone) to work for someone else, which MAKES them into a "societal burden".

Yes, I read it twice to make sure that's actually what it says... lol. (Of course, zero about the below set of outcomes, says "Duggars" to me, or at minimum, it certainly doesn't say "Duggars before TLC $$", as we clearly all missed the parts where the Duggars (a) ate great food; or (b), had money to hire maids and housekeepers to clean the house):

It comes down to the fact that time doesn’t buy money, but enough money, if created wisely, buys us back our time and gives us the ability to make choices based on what is best for our family.

Families that have pursued this wiser course of action have options and security.

They are able to pay their bills. They do not fear corporate lay offs and pay cuts.

They are able to raise and educate their children to higher standards outside of the indoctrinating public education system. Sparing their children the faulty education they got and a misdirected, financially unstable course.

They are capable of employing the best doctors in times of need and because they are not time for money, they are able to be there for their loved ones the whole time with love and support.

They are able to travel and see places most will not, taking their children with them all the while educating them on the histories of nations.

They are able to hire professional help to maintain their homes all the while they are gone.

They are able to do creative and culturally influential projects as a family.

They can eat what they want to eat and/or what is good for them and not just what is on sale or what is convenient

They are able to meet the needs of widows and orphans.

And it goes on and on…because they have options most families don’t.

Getting finances under control is only the first step. Learning about entrepreneurialism is the next.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 3

If every family worked for themselves, out of their garages and offices, then who would be educated and trained to provide all the necessary services these families will need?

Doctors, dentists, librarians, lawyers,police officers, firefighters,  shoe makers, appliance makers and repair people, etc, etc ,etc?

i don't know why this highlighted nor can I remove it!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Luvmy300zx said:

What if men took seriously, "a man that does not provide for his own is worse than an infidel?" I Tim 5:8 See Kevin Swanson’s sermon, “Suffer the children” 

Oh, my... I wonder if Derrick will ever twat this particular verse on Twitter?

• Love 14
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

There was an Ask a Manager letter once about a woman whose husband called and resigned from her job on her behalf. It troubles me to think this has happened more than once. 

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

There was an Ask a Manager letter once about a woman whose husband called and resigned from her job on her behalf. It troubles me to think this has happened more than once. 

This is ALL KINDS OF MESSED UP!  

I can understand women resigning on their own to be SAHM, but being dragged off and ganged upon by family.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

This is ALL KINDS OF MESSED UP!  

I can understand women resigning on their own to be SAHM, but being dragged off and ganged upon by family.

Here’s the link. If you read the comments, the woman who wrote the letter shows up and seems flummoxed that anyone found her husband’s behavior weird or controlling. 

http://www.askamanager.org/2012/10/my-husband-emailed-my-manager-about-our-family-decision-for-me-to-resign.html

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Here’s the link. If you read the comments, the woman who wrote the letter shows up and seems flummoxed that anyone found her husband’s behavior weird or controlling. 

http://www.askamanager.org/2012/10/my-husband-emailed-my-manager-about-our-family-decision-for-me-to-resign.html

Thank you,  That’s effed up.  So she’s got to waste her RN education because some religious wingnut decides to make sure she never works anywhere again?  

• Love 10

She wasted her RN degree because she obviously shouldn’t be a nurse. Was she going to call her husband to get permission to give a male patient a sponge bath, or a shot in his rear, or when she needed to bandage an injury in a guys thigh? I loved the answer in the  link.

If she’s too emotional to resign, she sure doesn’t need to be making medical decisions

back to the Duggars.. how would Jana be able to support herself if something’happened to JB? Is she still going to be dependent upon him if she never marries and he’s 70? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

She wasted her RN degree because she obviously shouldn’t be a nurse. Was she going to call her husband to get permission to give a male patient a sponge bath, or a shot in his rear, or when she needed to bandage an injury in a guys thigh? I loved the answer in the  link.

If she’s too emotional to resign, she sure doesn’t need to be making medical decisions

back to the Duggars.. how would Jana be able to support herself if something’happened to JB? Is she still going to be dependent upon him if she never marries and he’s 70? 

They probably trust the rest of the family to support Jana, but Jana shouldn't count on it. 

• Love 4

They probably trust the rest of the family to support Jana, but Jana shouldn't count on it

For a family that touts gender roles and courting practices from 200 years ago, they really need to research what befell widows and orphans back then. 

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

They probably trust the rest of the family to support Jana, but Jana shouldn't count on it. 

I think they do think that. Think 100-150 years ago, that's what they're going for. Men generally worked for themselves, either farming or as a tradesman and, women took care of the home and family. Adult sons often worked on the father's farm, or in the father's shop. If a man died, relatives took in the widow and any orphans. There was generally no thought that the woman would go out and find a job -- it was the role of theh family to take care of their own.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I was wondering about this ITO the Duggars, because I thought I had remembered one of the girls (maybe Jessa or Jinger) saying they were interested in being a nurse. Assuming they could complete the training, would they be allowed to be nurses? Because, in all honesty, we see a lot of peen, and you can’t really opt out of those parts of the job. I guess you could focus on pediatrics (although even then you would have some postpubescent male patients) or OB, but in pretty much any other specialty you’re gonna have to have a certain amount of contact with man parts. Would this be left up to their headship, or would it just be a non-starter?

Edited by mynextmistake
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I was wondering about this ITO the Duggars, because I thought I had remembered one of the girls (maybe Jessa or Jinger) saying they were interested in being a nurse. Assuming they could complete the training, would they be allowed to be nurses? Because, in all honesty, we see a lot of peen, and you can’t really opt out of those parts of the job. I guess you could focus on pediatrics (although even then you would have some postpubescent male patients) or OB, but in pretty much any other specialty you’re gonna have to have a certain amount of contact with man parts. Would this be left up to their headship, or would it just be a non-starter?

I remember Jill 's wish was to become a nurse.  Opra even offered to pay for her college.  Of course, JB isn't going to let any of his girls attend a real college.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, louannems said:

I remember Jill 's wish was to become a nurse.  Opra even offered to pay for her college.  Of course, JB isn't going to let any of his girls attend a real college.

Nursing is not an easy program. Jill would likely not have been able to get into the program without remedial classes. 

Speaking of Oprah, (were we?), she's stayed as far away from this train wreck family as possible. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I love Ask a Manager. That letter was bananas. There have been other letters with similar perspectives - like a manager who wrote in for advice when her employee was concerned that people would jump to the wrong conclusion when she was alone with a colleague of the opposite sex in a car (like driving to the office in the next town over) or had lunch with him in a public restaurant. My God, what would the neighbors think?!

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Didn't it say - will never again have to work for another man?  Because our little princess wrote down her husband's name as her new employer.

Listing the husband's name as her new employer is creepy on so many levels. If he treats her horribly who is she going to report him to? 

Edited by ariel
  • Love 10
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, louannems said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101018014408/http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/2006/09/bringing-home-rebecca.html

GAG

Good heavens. It almost sounds like "bringing her home" = she was a hostage in some terrifying country for 5 years. (Sounds like that is how the family sees it. EEK!)

• Love 7
On 11/22/2017 at 1:39 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

The secret truth here though that no one speaks to is that when this happened, plenty of women ended up:

- marrying men who were awful to them just so they'd have a place to live and food for their children; if their kids were abused by this man, they just had to look the other way

- working as domestics (this is what happened to my great-grandmother) while they sent their children out to different relatives to be work horses for them in exchange for food/shelter...the siblings were often split up

- working as prostitutes 

- dying in "poor houses," which were totally a thing

My great grandfather died shortly after emigrating to the US, leaving a wife who spoke no English and 6 kids.  The youngest, my grandfather, was 2.  She took in laundry and scrubbed floors, and still, none of her kids including my grandfather, got past the 6th grade before dropping out to work full time to avoid starvation.  This was around 1905.  Life 100 years ago was pretty crappy for widows and orphans.

My grandparents brought his mother to live with them after they married. She never learned to speak English and she died quite young, at least partly as a consequence of decades of backbreaking work, poor nutrition and bad living conditions.

• Love 19
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:08 PM, Luvmy300zx said:

His answer was, essentially, "stop spending so much money." Apparently EVERYONE is in debt and has too much stuff and lusts after more stuff, and THAT is the real problem. While I won't deny that we in the US have a serious problem with debt and materialism, there truly *are* people who do not earn enough, even on FT wages, to pay for their basic needs (housing, clothing, food, utilities, transportation). And he recommends everyone get rid of their debt, and then they'd be just dandy. Fact is, minimum wage is not sufficient, and some areas of the country are hella expensive in terms of cost of living.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, mynextmistake said:

I was once a CNA for a summer. My wild, sexy contact with a man's parts was an old man who needed a condom catheter changed. It was as unsexy as it is possible to be.

• Love 12
On 11/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, louannems said:

GAG

Holy crap, are they in The Republic of Gilead? That blog post read almost exactly like The Handmaid's Tale! How scary.

I'm hopeful for Jana's future and curious about her life outside the compound. She has a group of girlfriends who seem relatively normal. One is a teacher who graduated from a real college and also happens to be a person of color. Another posted a happy birthday message to Jana a few years back that revealed more about Jana than her parents ever had, and all she said was that Jana really likes cheese. I'm guessing that these girls have at least talked about their normal lives around Jana, maybe even introduced her to friends of theirs. So maybe getting married to some dorky, socially awkward Gothardite is really not something she wants. She may have no desire to leave home. My 40 year old cousin is still at home. But she just lives with my aunt and uncle, not a house full of Rod & Todds and she wears pants.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, LilJen said:

His answer was, essentially, "stop spending so much money." Apparently EVERYONE is in debt and has too much stuff and lusts after more stuff, and THAT is the real problem. While I won't deny that we in the US have a serious problem with debt and materialism, there truly *are* people who do not earn enough, even on FT wages, to pay for their basic needs (housing, clothing, food, utilities, transportation). And he recommends everyone get rid of their debt, and then they'd be just dandy. Fact is, minimum wage is not sufficient, and some areas of the country are hella expensive in terms of cost of living.

If you read the blog, they recommend a seminar from the I. B. L. P. The IBLP is the Institute Basic of Living Principles, which belongs to.... Bill Gothard! Remember JB grilling Derick about what to do about bad money situations and how even if he had medical bills and whatnot, he wouldn't go into debt?  This is exactly the same thing and I do agree with you about how people have to spend money on the necessities.  Bill Gothard, like a lot of fundie leaders, have many ideas that sound okay until you think them through as well as some terrible ones.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LilJen said:

I was once a CNA for a summer. My wild, sexy contact with a man's parts was an old man who needed a condom catheter changed. It was as unsexy as it is possible to be.

Oh, i’m with you. There’s nothing sexual about nursing. But I could see the Duggars thinking that any contact between a woman and the privates of a man she’s not married to is inappropriate.

• Love 7
On 11/21/2017 at 9:53 PM, mynextmistake said:

I used to work with a woman whose husband had called her employer and told them he was moving the family across the country and arranged for her to transfer to a different location. Thing is, she only found out when she got home and found a fucking FOR SALE sign in their front yard. She somehow actually moved with him and didn't kill him, neither of which would ever have happened in my life. When she told me this, I have to admit I really thought she was just insane. I don't care how long you've been married, how much you love him, just not happening. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I used to work with a woman whose husband had called her employer and told them he was moving the family across the country and arranged for her to transfer to a different location. Thing is, she only found out when she got home and found a fucking FOR SALE sign in their front yard. She somehow actually moved with him and didn't kill him, neither of which would ever have happened in my life. When she told me this, I have to admit I really thought she was just insane. I don't care how long you've been married, how much you love him, just not happening. 

Now that I’ve lived a little bit (32yrs) that screams domestic violence to me (at the very least emotional abuse and social isolation). 

If someone’s that controlling there were signs before that. 

• Love 13