Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Judge Cuts 1

• Start Topic

I just don't see what all the fuss is about the girl with the jumping dog.  For some reason they like her but I just don't get it. The last stunt was ok with the dog jumping onto her feet, but that's about it.  

• Love 4

singing trump is hilarious.  what else can that escape guy do? i think the wife is part of the act as a distraction. she cries and somehow he escapes. why did the camera get off? it must be another distraction.

who was that mom kitty? i don't rembeber her. i dont remeber seeing the swinging twins or that's what up or whatever he said comedian.

if you look up the opera guy hes already a success. 

what's so great about the girl and her dog? is it cause shes alone?

I don't get it about the girl with the dog, either, unless it's just because they're trying to re-invent Simon into a kinder, gentler version.  I love that the Masqueraders made it, but I felt bad for the Australian guy who sounds like John Legend.  I'm still looking forward to Puddles.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked the Australian guy too

I guess the dont need more singers but i like him better than the guy who buries himself. I know logically nothing bad happens because they wouldnt put on air if it, had but it not enjoyable to watch his wife freak out even if its part of the act.  Stunts like that really do nothing for me. I rather the singer or the other magician go through. 

I dont like the Trump guy and am pretty ambivalent on the girl and her dog as well. Neither of them would have made the cut if it werr up to me.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lor said:

what else can that escape guy do? i think the wife is part of the act as a distraction. she cries and somehow he escapes. why did the camera get off? it must be another distraction.

I am done with the buried guy.  This was more or less the same performance he gave the first time.  Before he even started it, I knew that it'd look like something would go wrong only for him to appear as one of the diggers.  The camera went out so we wouldn't see how he does what he does.  The wife was clearly acting and I had to roll my eyes when she she shoved him at the end to continue the act. 

I wanted to see more of the "not gay" comedian. 

I would've gone with the other magician because at least it's not card stuff. 

Of course Chris gave the golden buzzer to a young child singer--one of my least favorite contestants.  (Not the girl just child singers in general.)

I can't tolerate Trump.  Even fake Trump.

All in all, I enjoyed a lot of the performances but was underwhelmed by who made it through to the live show. I do look forward to the Korean dancers.  They should also be on World of Dance.

• Love 4

I can barely watch the singing Trump, since I loathe the real one.

Someone needs to tell Mel that it's not cute to throw water at Simon.  It was obnoxious last year when she did it (and hit the audience, if I remember correctly) and it's still obnoxious. Nice example you're setting there, Mel.  

• Love 3

I love the girl and her dog - or the dog and his girl.   I think it's because it's not a series of "tricks", but the two of them doing an acting/dancing routine.  I admire the process it would take to train a dog through that many steps.  

• Love 6

At first I thought only 2 of the 7 spots went to singing acts (and I kind of like the Masqueraders, at least more than I like the kid singers) and I was almost going to compliment the show. And then I realized I had blocked out the Trump guy. Sigh.

I really thought they might give the spot that ended up going to the girl and her to either Harrison the stand up comedian or the one hand balancer guy. They were both more deserving in my opinion.

Also not a fan of the escape artist guy. Just so much over the top fake drama. Dance group seemed better (either that or I just paid more attention this time)...

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lor said:

i think the wife is part of the act as a distraction. she cries and somehow he escapes. why did the camera get off? it must be another distraction.

Oh, definitely she's part of the act.  Her wailing about is what shifted the focus and allowed... whatever to happen.  Same with the camera.  I don't know how he did it, but it's a classic illusionist trick.  I love illusionists, though, and don't actively look for the how things happen.  I just sit back and enjoy.  I don't really know how I feel about this guy, though, because the two acts we've seen are way too similar.  He needs to switch it up.

8 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I love that the Masqueraders made it, but I felt bad for the Australian guy who sounds like John Legend.  I'm still looking forward to Puddles.

I don't feel bad for the Australian guy only because I think this was the platform to get him noticed.  He has a bright future in front of him.  The Masqueraders are at the end of their careers and this is their last chance.  I'm ok with that rational.

• Love 2

I don't get the girl with the dog, either. Bleh.

Love the 3 Masqueraders! Love them.

I'm not usually a fan of kid singers, dancers, etc., but that little girl could belt it. I thought she was awesome, maybe not for a Vegas act, but someday she could really be something.

So the "buried guy" act. It's bad enough that the wife was wailing about and being the distraction - but add the JUDGES to it and I'm just rolling my eyes. I'm old enough to remember when variety shows and talent shows were just that. SHOWS. They did the things they were meant to do - entertain. When (and WHY) did it become a thing to have so much obviously producer-driven drama?? Fake "reactions" of people in the audience and other talent waiting in the wings....just let me watch the show already. I hate all that extra crap :/

(and for what it's worth, it's not just on AGT, it's everywhere)

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

So the "buried guy" act. It's bad enough that the wife was wailing about and being the distraction - but add the JUDGES to it and I'm just rolling my eyes. I'm old enough to remember when variety shows and talent shows were just that. SHOWS. They did the things they were meant to do - entertain. When (and WHY) did it become a thing to have so much obviously producer-driven drama?? Fake "reactions" of people in the audience and other talent waiting in the wings....just let me watch the show already. I hate all that extra crap :/

(and for what it's worth, it's not just on AGT, it's everywhere)

I was rolling my eyes, too -- especially at the judge's reactions. Yeah, I get that it's scripted, but their over-the-top "Where did the camera go?" and "Oh no! Let's soothe the woman who's seen these tricks countless numbers of times!" was just cringeworthy. 

The little girl was fine, but not buzzer-worthy. Unlike a few of the singers, I didn't feel the need to FF through her, though her stage-managed pronunciation was annoying. (The word is "fire" not "fi-yooooooo.") I wonder if the judges ever have Buzzer's Remorse when a much better act comes out after they've used their buzzer on a lesser act.

• Love 3

I wonder if the judges ever have Buzzer's Remorse when a much better act comes out after they've used their buzzer on a lesser act.

I think they decide which judge is going to golden buzz which performer before the show even starts--probably during rehearsals.  And I totally agree that the little girl was good but not golden buzzer worthy. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I think they decide which judge is going to golden buzz which performer before the show even starts--probably during rehearsals.  And I totally agree that the little girl was good but not golden buzzer worthy. 

That would, unfortunately, make a lot of sense.

Cute child -- buzzer. Story we can manipulate in an hour's worth (or more) of sappy, sad intros -- buzzer. Oh, legitimately good performer with no tragic backstory? Pffffft. We can't allow that act to go forward!

Seriously, if anyone watches this show live, and sits through all the intros (and by extension, judges' adulation post-performance), I tip my hat to you!

• Love 2
(edited)

It's Simon who seems to have a thing for the girl and the jumping dog, and I just don't get it.  My dog used to jump around like that whenever I had his favorite treats.  The only thing I would have had to teach him to do like her dog did, is stand on my feet, and mine would have done that for a ham bone, lol. 

I'm happy that the Masqueraders made it through.  Those guys can still sing!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I was disappointed in some of the final cuts.  No-talent Trump guy?  Seriously?  Ugh.  We could have kept the young man singer or the other magician or the good comedian.  Instead we get that piece of dreck.  Ditto with the escape artist.  His wife is *so* annoying.  She cried and screamed during his first performance as well.  And this was basically the same thing as before.  No.  Just no.  Although I like the Masqueraders, I would have preferred to see the young man singer instead.  I liked their first audition better; this one was just meh.  I probably would have also cut Hero, even though I like the act and I love the dog.  I just think she needs to work on polishing the performance.  It was fun, but it wasn't really polished.  I also would have preferred to see both of the magicians go through. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Gawd, so if the escape artist were to win, I suppose his wife would be part and parcel of his act? Would she be heard screaming from the curtains or in the audience? I haven't watched an ep of this at all this season and I feel I'm not missing much thanks to this fine forum. Where's Victor Kee when you need him?

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I was disappointed in some of the final cuts.  No-talent Trump guy?  Seriously?  Ugh.  We could have kept the young man singer or the other magician or the good comedian.  Instead we get that piece of dreck.  Ditto with the escape artist.  His wife is *so* annoying.  She cried and screamed during his first performance as well.  And this was basically the same thing as before.  No.  Just no.  Although I like the Masqueraders, I would have preferred to see the young man singer instead.  I liked their first audition better; this one was just meh.  I probably would have also cut Hero, even though I like the act and I love the dog.  I just think she needs to work on polishing the performance.  It was fun, but it wasn't really polished.  I also would have preferred to see both of the magicians go through. 

Totally agree with everything you said. I would have liked to see the funny comedian over Trump. Maybe they can get Trump to sing/dance with 5 Alive. Now *that* would be entertaining.

Especially when we consider the past winners, that dog has nothing on the Olate dogs! (Ditto when considering the Golden Buzzer child ventriloquist to Terry Fator.)

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

As you see here, Trump already has a Vegas act.  As far as I'm concerned, he took the spot from someone who may have been more deserving.  .

http://agt.wikia.com/wiki/The_Singing_Trump

Totally agree on him taking a spot for someone more deserving, and has been said by others before me, I can't stand the real Trump, don't need an impersonator. I"m watching this show to escape the news.  I am in total shock that Jeff Trachta is Trump. My mom used to watch B&B, and would have never in a million years guessed it was him. Decent impersonation but still annoys me.

Also agree about the girl and dog act - I seriously don't get it. The dog  is cute but he doesn't seem to do anything really special. Have seen much better dog acts on this show. And she seems to be very fragile/emotional - the crying/hugging/kissing Simon is too much. She is going to be a basket case when/if she gets cut.

I am thankful the dancing pumpkin didn't make it - I seriously though he would. And the buried guy's act between the wife, the judges, the camera getting cut off, uggh, fakety, fake, fake, fake.

• Love 4

I HATE that the escape artist made it through. His wife might be one of the most annoying people to ever appear on this show. The fake screaming, fake tears, fake over the top drama, fake pushing and shoving. YAWN. Eye roll. Boring. Hate her, hate the act, hate that we're going to be subjected to it all again.

I also can't believe the girl and the dog made it through. They're not that good. I was bored. No way was she better than some of the acts that got cut. And it's like watching amateur hour compared to some of the dog acts we've had in past seasons that actually were great like Cristian and Scooby or Olate Dogs. What a waste of a spot in the live shows.

I like Trump. He's funny. He's one of the only acts this season that I'm actually entertained by, so I'm happy he made it through.

What in the world was that "make some noise/good job" comic? That was painful!

Darcy's a good singer. Too bad he didn't make it.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

And I totally agree that the little girl was good but not golden buzzer worthy. 

See I don't think golden buzzers should be used for best best acts. It puts someone through automatically so it makes the most sense to use it on someone the judge in question thinks is great but is worried the others might be on the fence about. If someone's that good they don't need the buzzer. Dog Girl would've been a perfect example of someone Simon should've buzzed if he felt so strongly, but I forget if he'd already used his when she were first on and that's why instead he just begged the others to do it.

I mean, I get that the show sets it up as some big amaaaaaazing thing like you must be sooooooo good to be golden buzzered. But it'd make more sense for them to use it to guarantee someone they felt strongly about but weren't sure the others were.

• Love 5

Sara and Hero, really?! I don't get it.

Angelica is good yes but enough with singers getting golden buzzers, I would've rather Just Jerk or Demian gotten it. I was bummed Harrison, the comedian, didn't make it. I get dancing Trump is amusing but don't care for spoof acts that can't sing or dance. 

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Rachel81 said:

The little girl was fine, but not buzzer-worthy. Unlike a few of the singers, I didn't feel the need to FF through her, though her stage-managed pronunciation was annoying. (The word is "fire" not "fi-yooooooo.") I wonder if the judges ever have Buzzer's Remorse when a much better act comes out after they've used their buzzer on a lesser act.

That pretentious. phony way she made "fire" into three syllables, sung with some kind of weird accent, is another reason I hate all these little girls singing grown-up sings, with no idea what the lyrics mean. It's supposed to be cute, but I find it creepy. Let these little kids have a childhood, instead of turning them into singing bots. So pretty much every golden buzzer has gone to some precocious little girl singer. It's become a cliché on this show. Only singing moppets need apply.

Simon must've pushed really hard for Sarah and Hero, because it was better than the first time but still not great. The old Simon definitely would've said "this is not a million dollar act." But I don't feel bad about her going through, because I'm a dog person, and because the girl seems like a lost soul who needs something positive in her life.

The young Australian singer is super talented, but I agree with Simon that his first performance was better. His version of The Queen sing felt like a bag of vocal tricks designed to impress the judges.

I was pleasantly surprised that neither the Argentinian opera singer or the nerdy Harvard comic went through, because both got tons of praise from the judges, and lots of camera time.. I'm glad the opera singer didn't go through because they never mentioned that he's a seasoned professional performer, and I just didn't think that the comic's routine about the guy being hit by lightning was even vaguely funny. It was like bad Seinfeld Lite. I was actually more entertained by the "Make some noise-good job" guy.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, parrotlover said:

I am thankful the dancing pumpkin didn't make it - I seriously though he would. And the buried guy's act between the wife, the judges, the camera getting cut off, uggh, fakety, fake, fake, fake.

That Dancing Pumpkin Man's YouTube video has something like 17 millions hits makes me worry about the future of civilization. And that's one of the worst escape acts they've had on the show. Is it just going the be the same every week? The wife fakes pretending her husband's been injured or killed, and then he shows up as one the rescuers. Boring.

Does anyone else think that Singing Trump looks more like actor Lloyd Bridges than Trump?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

So Puddles didn't show up after all, despite the fact he could be seen sitting in the waiting room watching the Eric Jones performance they leaked online a few days early, but this was probably just another editing "mistake" (pro tip to the AGT producers: how about instead of cobbling your episodes together from a thousand different sources like someone creating the worlds shittiest ransom note you just show us ACTUAL real reactions that happened in THAT episode, thus eliminating continuity errors and the judges changing clothes between sentences like they were part of a quickchange act. Just a thought. I mean it's not like you've been doing this for 12 years now or anything...)

7. Sara and Hero - Catwoman look out, there's a new criminal in town. Yeah, people seem angry over this making it, but I kinda like them. The idea to create storylines AROUND the tricks is clever and fun and honestly I'd rather watch this again than see another mediocre filler dance crew or hear more Ed Sheeran covers. 

6. Angelica Hale - LOOK AWAY, CHRIS, LOOK AWAY. RESIST THE TEMPTATION...DAMN IT. Another very safe and obvious choice for a GB, which is a shame. Luckily I happen to like Angelica and think for her age she's pretty great and adorable to boot, it was just a teeny tiny bit too screamy for me this time. 

5. Eric Jones - I had actually noticed Eric in a montage a few weeks ago (along with Xavier Mortimer, who seems to be showing up next week just like in season 10, second times the charm?) and thought to mention him as a possible Blake Vogt of 2017 since I've seen him before on various shows, but forgot...Ah well, he's here now and I like him. From what I've seen he's just a very skilled sleight of hand magician focusing on smaller tricks that require a lot of precision and quick hands, which I personally enjoy more than bigger illusions. I also like his cool and calm demeanor and he's one of the few magicians who managed to fool even Penn and Teller on their show (and he's yet to do that trick on here).

4. Demian Aditya - I like Demian and it's nice to see this type of illusion represented and done WELL on the show after so many have failed to make it interesting before...buuuut this is now the 2nd time we have seen the "wife freaks out, Damian turns out to be someone else" ending and he absolutely can not keep using that if he wants to do well (and I actually think he has a chance of making the finals). The manufactured drama of "OH NO DID THE SCREEN GO OUT HOW UNEXPECTED" was painful at times to watch and having his wife (who just happens to be a professional actor and singer with 150k followers on twitter...I swear I'm not stalking these people, sometimes what the show DOESN'T tell you just happens to be more interesting) there was almost too much, even if she is in on the act. It  just feels like a "cheap" tactic and I feel he's better than that.

3. Singing Trump - Is it gimmicky? Sure. Will it get played out soon? Probably. Did I have a blast watching him? ABSOLUTELY. Not only was he much funnier than the actual stand-up comedians this episode, he was also a better boyband than 5 alive. This show needs a bit of fun this season and he's bringing plenty of it.*

*I almost don't want to break the illusion, but doing a bit of research on him I found out he's actually been an impersonator/singer since the 80s and I was shocked to find out I've actually seen him on TV in some shows before. It's interesting he chose to go with just 1 character for this show, since he seems like a skilled impressionist capable of doing over a hundred impressions of not only actors and singers but also cartoon characters and even musical instruments. He could have just as easily gone the David Ferguson route on the show since his voice is actually a LOT better than he lets on here (he can do a spot on impression of Bocelli, Timberlake, Jackson, even Lady Gaga) but he's chosen to go this way meaning we'll never truly see what he's capable of on this show. 

2. The Masqueraders - There's just something likable about these guys, the energy and good feeling they give off is engaging and charming.

1. Just Jerk - You really are going to stick with that name then?...Not even a tiny change? O-okay then. I wasn't too sure about them in the audition round, but WOW they blew me away this time. These guys put all the hundreds (and hunreds) of identical looking dance crews we have seen on the show in the past to shame and if anyone deserves to finally break the "filler spot" curse it's them.

First of all, let's take the time to salute our hero - The Dancing Pumpkin Man. Our one true victor was ROBBED. ROBBED.

Secondly, had you told me that Carlos would get eliminated over Singing Trump before the show, I wouldn't have believed you. Everything from the time they spent showing him, to the sob story they had built up to the standing ovation led me to believe he was a lock to get through so I guess I can't complain about the show being predictable this time. Although we still have the wildcards left, so I'm not ready to count him out of the game quite yet.

As for Tom London, he was my least favourite magician going into the judges cut and while I did like him more this time, Eric just showed more potential. Tom's whole shtick seems to be how he mixed technology with magic, but his first trick was based on math and the second one was just an excuse to take a ton of expensive trips. Sure the whole clip thing at the end was neat, but the amount of time, effort and money required to set-up something so easy to figure out seemed ludicrous. I would feel bad for all that going to waste, but if he has the capital to do all that just to impress the judges he's probably going to be just fine outside of the show.

Meanwhile Canion fell into the exact hole of "let the effects do all the work" I was talking about, some quick research showed that he had been part of Mongolias Got talent at some point and even made the finals, so it just seemed like a bad day for him to get X-ed like this.

Watching Yosein just made me sad, it was obvious he wouldn't make it from the beginning, yet it took tremendous skill, effort and training on his part to pull off what he did. Had he gone through, he would have needed to pull off something superhuman to impress the judges and the voters. Acts like this simply do not work on this show.

Looking at the known line-up for next week only Puddles and Colin Cloud stand out so far along with maybe the Alabi's and Quiddlers for novelty value. Who knows, even the godfathers might impress. I'm just hoping the golden buzzer wont go to another mediocre singing act like Evie or Chase and we actually get something exciting for a change.

(edited)
10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

See I don't think golden buzzers should be used for best best acts. It puts someone through automatically so it makes the most sense to use it on someone the judge in question thinks is great but is worried the others might be on the fence about. If someone's that good they don't need the buzzer. Dog Girl would've been a perfect example of someone Simon should've buzzed if he felt so strongly, but I forget if he'd already used his when she were first on and that's why instead he just begged the others to do it.

I mean, I get that the show sets it up as some big amaaaaaazing thing like you must be sooooooo good to be golden buzzered. But it'd make more sense for them to use it to guarantee someone they felt strongly about but weren't sure the others were.

The golden buzzer was so much better the first year they introduced it. They used it to put an act through to the judges cuts that otherwise wouldn't have enough votes. I don't think Heidi and Mel even used it the first year. Howard and Howie used it on Dustin's Dojo and the brothers who sang the ratchet song, who both got two no's. If they still did it this way, Mel could've used hers on pumpkin man and Simon could've used it on boring girl with dog, instead of having to go up on stage and beg the other judges to change their minds. Now they just use it to push through a good act to the live shows that obviously would've made it there anyway. It's pointless.

Edited by UsernameGoesHere
  • Love 2

Unpopular opinion: I love Sara and Hero. Are they the best act this season? Absolutely not. But gosh they just make me smile. Two kind souls who clearly love each other and are having a blast. They won't win but I'll enjoy them while they're here. I completely understand why others don't like them.

I always feel bad for the acts that we don't see during auditions, show up randomly at judge cuts, and then get montaged. You just know they're cannon fodder (filler?).

I've known Dancing Pumpkin Man the meme for a long time (gifs of him always pop up around Halloween and they always make me laugh) and he shouldn't be on this show but there will always be a special place for him in my heart. He was actually really funny during his interactions with judges. Maybe next season he can ditch the mask, use his real name, and then get all the way to finals where he reveals that he's been DPM the whole time.

I liked both magicians and wish they'd both gone through. Lmao Simon when the one magician brought out the hammer: "This was always going to happen eventually."

Just Jerk are incredible, and you can just see the hours and hours they put into crafting these performances. The only thing that bugs me about them is they keep saying that every performance "could be their last one" like they don't know when they'll be called up for service? Is the South Korean army just gonna steal them all away in the night?

I have the same reaction to The Singing Trump as I do to the real one: go jump in a lake and let me LIVE.

That escape artist and his wife might be the most insufferable duo this season (tied with the annoying twins form last week). First of all, it was the same damn trick! Also, they're barely pretending that the wife isn't acting. When he made it through and she was all like "I'm so happy he gets to continue doing what he loves but also I'm very scared that he'll hurt himself" ...literally who thinks that way about their spouse deliberately putting themselves in danger?

On 7/19/2017 at 9:39 AM, Singingflutist said:

Hint: the escape guy has a twin brother ;)

Really? Cuz that's not even a trick or an illusion or a skilled performance, that's just cheating.

22 hours ago, theatremouse said:

As UsernameGoesHere mentioned upthread, that used to be the case and I kind of agree with you. But I also like the idea of the golden buzzer being used on act that's so good and so clearly ready for primetime that it's best not to waste everyone's time with putting them through judge cuts.

The problem is that the judges never pick the truly spectacular top notch acts so the buzzer remains pretty useless. 

1 hour ago, surveyandprotect1 said:

What app is Tom London using to control the audience's cell phones? I like the idea of his tricks but its just too fake.

Yeah, I noticed that the first time he performed, he definitely has the audience downloading an app or going to a website (I hope it's the latter, I would get so annoyed if I went to someone's performance and I had to download their damn app as part of it), but it rarely plays into the overall trick so I still liked him. I'm definitely a Muggle when it comes to real-world magicians so I thought the trick with him actually being in those places was really neat.

• Love 1

I just think magic tricks involving screens, be they phones, tablets, TVs, it's just not magical. I'm like, hello, I have seen movies before in my life, special effects are a thing, nothing you do on video will have sufficient surprise factor. He kept insisting he was doing something no one had ever done before as though that were inherently amazing. Nope, it's just not a very interesting idea.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Ohwell said:

It's Simon who seems to have a thing for the girl and the jumping dog, and I just don't get it.  My dog used to jump around like that whenever I had his favorite treats.  The only thing I would have had to teach him to do like her dog did, is stand on my feet, and mine would have done that for a ham bone, lol. 

Yes, all dogs jump, sit, run, etc.  the act is that this dog does a sequence of moves with his human partner so that they are acting out a play, and dancing/ doing gymnastics together.  It's really quite difficult to train a dog to do that complicated of a routine.   

I want to know how the magic trick with the phone was done.   I didn't even understand WHAT he was doing - it seemed like he was holding up the plane ticket to the camera phone to make the images appear.  I assume he had different tickets, and the phone was reading a code of some kind?  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, backformore said:

Yes, all dogs jump, sit, run, etc.  the act is that this dog does a sequence of moves with his human partner so that they are acting out a play, and dancing/ doing gymnastics together.  It's really quite difficult to train a dog to do that complicated of a routine.  

Are you a dog trainer?  I'm asking because  I honestly didn't see the difficulty in what she and the dog were doing most of the time.   I just saw a lot of running and jumping together.  As I said before, the only thing that made me go "wow" was when the dog jumped onto her feet.

The Tom London phone trick seems pretty obvious to me....but I could be completely wrong.

If he's able to connect with the audience's phones to have them display what he transmits to them, it would seem as likely that he could send that same controlled display to a judge's phone.

...and if that's the case, he can simply have someone backstage send the right pre-recorded videos of him in front of famous locations based on the responses each judge gave.

Technology....but not a trick IMHO.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Robodude said:

If he's able to connect with the audience's phones to have them display what he transmits to them, it would seem as likely that he could send that same controlled display to a judge's phone.

but it looked like he was holding that ticket stub up to the phone, and the camera was showing the video as though it was ON the ticket.  SO - a phone app that was somehow triggered by the ticket he held up/  

I was also curious about the vest he was wearing, which looked bulky and had a lot of pockets.  I wondered if there was some reason for that.  LIke maybe he had tickets with all the possible outcomes, and maybe some other tech stuff that was helping him in some way. 

This was the worst (best) example of the phony grouping of acts based on the type of performance (singer, comedian, danger, whatever) and not the performance itself.  Classic TV over-production.  Many call it scripted.

The smart phone trick is just too obvious.  I wouldn't disqualify it as magic per se, but when a trick is so ridiculously simple to figure out, it is poor magic.

Forget the politics, the Trump act is simply weak sauce.  It was like watching jack benny or George Allen as elders on stage in front of a newer generation who wouldn't get the old school and, to them, unfamiliar, act.  Cringe, I did.

The dog act was ambitious as heck and pretty much decently executed.  Where does it go from here?  She would make a fine addition to Universal Hollywood's Animal Planet show.  No way does the act merit going forward on this show.

The burying act would be much, much, better if they buried that shrill wife instead of the husband.  Aye yi yi.

I am reeeeeeally not liking the rehab/softening of Simon's curmudgeonly image.  It is certainly working as the ratings are very good, though.  Ugh.  Ameriker.

Hey I just realized I am no. longer. watching. this. show.

I don't even miss it. Especially when I can come here and see what's mostly happening without having to subject myself to Howie, Mel B and Simon. I still love Heidi, but I don't like some of her judging on the show.

I'll check back when we're closing in on the finale, what? About 8 months from now? Or maybe it just used to feel that way when I felt that I HAD to watch it and couldn't miss it.

• Love 1

I only watch it to see when the chicken and the Masqueraders are going to perform (even though I'm pretty sure neither act is going to win), so I'm constantly checking in and out.  Otherwise, I am just not interested in the show anymore.  

'm old enough to remember when variety shows and talent shows were just that. SHOWS. They did the things they were meant to do - entertain. When (and WHY) did it become a thing to have so much obviously producer-driven drama?? When (and WHY) did it become a thing to have so much obviously producer-driven drama?? Fake "reactions" of people in the audience and other talent waiting in the wings....just let me watch the show already. I hate all that extra crap

oh me too! Ed Sullivan introduced people in the audience, there were shots of screaming girls for Elvis and the whole crew from the British invasion, but it just wasn't sob stories. And was it Hollywood Palace? Didn't watch that one that much, but it was just the acts. I loved plate spinners, that's what I feel like I've done all my life, kept those plates on sticks spinning. But I also watched the Smothers Brothers, Sonny & Cher, Glen Campbell, and many, many more that I just can't remember right now, they all had variety acts, but not the sob stories.

I like Sara and Hero, will they win, no, do they deserve to, no, but I still like them. I like the Masqueraders, I love that style singing, I'm old, and that's my kind of music.

I hated the escape artist with the screeching wife, hate the Trump guy, I think it's because of who. There have been president impersonators as long as there have been presidents and impersonators, in high school, I did a pretty good Lady Bird impersonation. The impersonator is just doing current, but I hate it. Also don't care for Pumpkin head, just not my thing.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:07 AM, Rachel81 said:

Seriously, if anyone watches this show live, and sits through all the intros (and by extension, judges' adulation post-performance), I tip my hat to you!

I was at a taping last year at this stage of competition at this location.  I got to see only 5 acts and we were like, thats it?? They filmed the into, a few takes (with Nick), they pretape all our reactions, the 5 acts perform and we're shuffled out. The judges take a break and then then the next 5 perform but thats it for one day. They must then have to wear the same outfits the next day to make it look like its all filmed at once. TV taping is weird.

This is how I rated the performances:

7. Sara and Hero - I think this act is by far the most undeserving to have gone through to the next round. Her performance is sloppy and a mess. The dog at times seems to not know what to do or maybe he doesn't remember the commands? I do give anyone that goes on stage in front of thousands a lot of credit. I know I would be a nervous wreck..lol! That's all I give her.

6. Angelica Hale - Even though Angelica is a thousands times better than Grace Vanderwaal, last seasons worst winner in AGT history, I really don't care for kid singers. Like someone else posted, especially when they sing grown up songs and don't know the meaning of the lyrics. Angelica sounds great but she does sound like she's trying to sing and sound like an adult.

5. Damian Aditya - Screaming wife, repeat illusion trick, pretends to be near death! Is there anything else Damian can do? He really needs to change things up if he wants to stay on.

4. Just Jerk - Another dance troup...SIGH! Were they good? Sure! Will they win? Nope. No matter what they do, how spectacular their performances are, a dance group is not a stand alone Las Vegas act imho. Besides, many of their moves we've all seen before.

3. Singing Trump - He made me laugh, and laugh, and laugh! He was the only one that put a smile on my face. None of the comedians did the trick.

2. The Masqueraders - I like these old dudes. They sound great even though I would've put the young guy through instead. The Masqueraders had their chance and maybe they just didn't grab the opportunities that came their way.

1. Eric Jones - I like magicians and Eric was pretty good! He had the act I enjoyed the most!

A few notes:

. I can't believe that people can't or won't separate President Trump from The Singing Trump. The Singing Trump is a performer and should be looked and judged as one. Silly people!

. I too find it difficult to watch Damian Aditya's wife and the judges overact every time Damian performs. As long there's a few people that actually believe what there watching is real, AGTA will keep on putting on scripted fake drama.

. I know people will vote their own way, for their own reasons. I guess there is no right or wrong way to vote. Having said that I would think people would look at Sara and Hero's performance by itself. I think people will find out that the performance is subpar to many animal acts before. If they could only separate their love for "dogs" from the act.

Well, I guess it's all,

Until next time...

• Love 1

Hi!  I've just recently started watching AGT on the recommendation of my 90-year-old Dad.  He kept asking me if I watched it, I'd say no, then he'd ask again, so I thought I'd give it a try and now we can talk about that too.  I'm not going to review every act this season, just give you some random thoughts on the show:

Simon Cowell is a kinder, gentler version of his X Factor persona, with just enough edge to wonder what he'll do or say.  I'm not a fan of Mel B or Heidi.  Whenever I see Heidi I think of her marriage to Seal and how she cheated on him with her bodyguard, Martin Kirsten, whose latest claim to fame is being Chris Cornell's bodyguard who found him dead from the alleged suicide.  (I'm digressing, sorry.)  Howie without hair is just as fun as the old Howie Mandel I remember from way back.  I haven't followed his entire career, but I'm glad to see he's continued an entertainment career.

I love Sara Carson and Hero.  Will they be the top winners?  No, I doubt that.  I just enjoyed both performances I saw so much (pirate and then cat burglar) and I appreciate how much dedication, expertise and professionalism it takes to be a dog trainer.  I like Sara, even though I'm not a fan of the sob story angle of the show.  I just have an affinity for her and,  I.  Love.  Dogs!  I hated how Mel B dissed Hero when they performed the pirate routine.  I thought it was cute and it kept my interest.

Very tragic that the doctor, Brandon Rogers, was killed in a car accident.  I liked him and his singing, he was really talented.  My heart breaks for his family and their sharing of his audition lets him live on somehow.

I'm not a fan of the little girl singers or the teen and tween singers I've seen so far.  bluepiano says it best about Angelica Hale and I didn't think Angelina Green was GB worthy.

The Mirror Image brothers are obnoxious and I, of course, figured they were gay, but one of them has a girlfriend, so maybe it's part of their act?  I agree with what a poster said above about them being all over each other.  Not a fan.

I don't take this show all that seriously, it's a talent show and most of it is enjoyable.  Enough with the fake drama though with the escape artist and his wife, who for sure must be part of the act.

That's all for now.

• Love 1

Angelica Hale knocked it out of the park and totally deserved the GB.  Probably deserved it the first time, but hey, we got to see her sing again.   Don't understand all the anti kid singer sentiment.   If she's good, she's good.   Seems like holding her age against her is a form of discrimination.  But, I thought her act was the best.

The Just Jerk was second for me.  When a dance group can entertain that much, they deserve praise.

I liked the Singing Trump for third.  He can dance, sing and he's entertaining.  Also, don't understand the anti-Trump sentiment.  He seems to be making fun of him.  But, I have a good sense of humor and it really is funny.

Looking forward to these three in the next round.

• Love 1

I don't think people are holding anyone's age against them.  We love to see talented tots, children, tweens and teens, as well as the oldsters, as long as they don't make a fool of themselves.  Take the Masqueraders.  Three older gentlemen who still have what it takes to sing and entertain.  The 80-year-old cat woman with fishnet stockings and a leotard, who wants to kiss Simon?  Not so much.  Personally I don't hate the kids for being kids, it is just the pretentiousness of some of them these days, as well as singing adult songs with lyrics that are creepy to be sung by a child.  Remember Shirley Temple?  She sang and danced songs child-age appropriate.  Just because you don't like an act doesn't mean you are discriminating against them because of their age, sex, race, creed, etc.

What about all the people who are not impressed with Sara and Hero?  I'm not accusing anyone of being dog haters or animal haters.  They just don't seem to enjoy the act and what goes into it as much as other people, that's all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I don't think people are holding anyone's age against them.  We love to see talented tots, children, tweens and teens, as well as the oldsters, as long as they don't make a fool of themselves.  Take the Masqueraders.  Three older gentlemen who still have what it takes to sing and entertain.  The 80-year-old cat woman with fishnet stockings and a leotard, who wants to kiss Simon?  Not so much.  Personally I don't hate the kids for being kids, it is just the pretentiousness of some of them these days, as well as singing adult songs with lyrics that are creepy to be sung by a child.  Remember Shirley Temple?  She sang and danced songs child-age appropriate.  Just because you don't like an act doesn't mean you are discriminating against them because of their age, sex, race, creed, etc.

What about all the people who are not impressed with Sara and Hero?  I'm not accusing anyone of being dog haters or animal haters.  They just don't seem to enjoy the act and what goes into it as much as other people, that's all.

A number of people did say they didn't like them because they were kids and not because of their act.  

I judge the acts based on their act, but if anyone does anything inappropriate or creepy that will be factored in. 

The problem I have with young children being on the show is that they are young children. They are being judged, and at one point in time on the show they will be told they are not good enough. Adults have problems being told that, much less someone under the age of 15. That is very traumatizing and can stay with you for a long time. I just do not think someone under the age of 15 should have to deal with that stress.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

The problem I have with young children being on the show is that they are young children. They are being judged, and at one point in time on the show they will be told they are not good enough. Adults have problems being told that, much less someone under the age of 15. That is very traumatizing and can stay with you for a long time. I just do not think someone under the age of 15 should have to deal with that stress.

I agree! There was a young girl maybe 13 -15 years old on the X-Factor (USA). I remember she was one of Simon Cowell's favorite. Anyway she finally got eliminated by America's votes and she broke down on stage. She couldn't handle it. The guy who went through couldn't even enjoy the fact that he made it to the next round because of her making a scene. She had been told that she was a star and she ate that all up!

• Love 3