Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Perfect Storm

• Start Topic

After a stormy end to Catherine's dinner party, Hurricane Matthew forces the Charmers to evacuate Savannah. Lyle, Catherine, Daniel, Louis and Hannah head to Charlotte where they meet up with Charleston friends Shep, Thomas, and Austen. Meanwhile, in Augusta, Ashley reveals her marital issues to her mother. Later, the Charmers return home to a devastated Savannah. 

Yikes.  No posts.  Says a lot about this show.

Another boring episode.  I think the only person that I would even recognize walking down the street is Ashley.  The rest are just so mundane.  I'm still trying to keep the names straight and who is who and who is dating who.  They all just seem to meld together. 

Nice try to boost the show with Thomas, Shep and Austin showing up.  But yeah, it didn't work.

I did like the Ashley scene with her mother but what happened to her son and his father.  Weren't they supposed to go there too?

• Love 4

Not only are these people boring, charmless and unappealing to look at, but they apparently have flatulence issues. Two extreme fart scenes in one episode...talk about really scraping the bottom of the barrel for desperate attempts at humor.

Only vaguely amusing moment of this show: drunk Shep's triumphant shouts of "Balding! Balding!" at drunk Lyle's head. 

For someone named Happy, that gal is the most miserable looking/acting female on reality television. Weeping at the table? Good lord, please go find some good meds and live up to your name already.

Not even the Charleston gang can save this show.

• Love 6

Soooo your buddy can't get into the club because it's a restricted [racist] club and he's the pussy?

I watched 3 people not own their behavior while 2 more blamed the folks being discriminated against.

This show sucks

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Soooo your buddy can't get into the club because it's a restricted [racist] club and he's the pussy?

I watched 3 people not own their behavior while 2 more blamed the folks being discriminated against.

This show sucks

I don't think I've watched more than 15 minutes of this show before tonight, but I watched this entire episode hoping the guys were going to apologize to Daniel. Daniel was letting them know that "schvartze" was an offensive term, but some how he ended up being the asshole. These people are terrible.

• Love 7

The guy who's supposed to be hot but isn't is starting to look attractive. 

Getting relationship advice from Thomas Ravenel is like looking for intellectual stimulation on a Kardassian Instagram feed. 

The girls are kinda bitchy and don't have the wit and reads to make it entertaining unlike other Bravo reality shows. No one is really charismatic or tv star material IMHO. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Getting relationship advice from Thomas Ravenel is like looking for intellectual stimulation on a Kardassian Instagram feed. 

I think you are forgetting about his beverage cart girl story that misses the point if The Glass Menagerie which is the best thing  ever stated about relationships!

I stand by liking Daniel.  Other than him, I simply find nothing appealing about this cast.  On what planet would Lyle be considered a catch?  He makes T-Rav look like marriage material by comparison.   

• Love 8

Pardon me while I cry a river for the poor, downtrodden, beleaguered special class of the independently wealthy.  I'm sure no single group of people has ever had it worse than them throughout the annals of history.  And now Daniel takes away the one slice of fun in Nelson's life, marginalizing him even further, by suggesting he not use racially derogatory terms!  Won't Nelson ever break free of the shackles of the oppression of his inherited money? Oh, the humanity!

This show needs to have snips of Jean Ralphio spliced in, since there's no good Greek Chorus character. st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite

• Love 19
(edited)

I'm sure Thomas really wanted to be in some bowling alley talking to the intolerable drunky slurry speeched vocal fry blondie Catherine. Who exactly is her well know, monied southern family she is always talking about having such pressure to live up to? Please shut up, girl. Oh, and by the way, these people can't bowl for shit. 

Poor Ashley, her mother cradling her and wiping away her tears while she weeps. Good Lord!  

The guys on this show are so high school. And unattractive. And dull as dirt. Except Daniel, who has a certain level of hotness but needs to wash his hair more often, he always looks dirty to me.

How is it that Catherine is in the park apologizing to Ashley when Ashley is the one who outed her for cheating on her boyfriend in front of all their friends? Again, Ashley apologizes for nothing. I would think if that was a lie, Catherine would be mighty pissed off. But nothing said about it. That little scene had me perplexed. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6

Yeah, I wondered what happened to Ashley's husband and son, too.  

I can't keep track of the people in this show either, but I think I'm annoyed by Lyle, Louis, and the other dark-haired one who messed up in D.C.   The long-haired one is handsome, IMO.  He is Daniel?

• Love 1

I like Daniel. At least he calls out racist bullshit.

On the whole, this show is terrible. Not sure why I keep watching, actually. I'm going to remove my DVR subscription for it right now.

• Love 3

Ashley and her husband were going two different places.  During the scene when she was kissing her son goodbye in the suv, I heard her say that they would meet up later. 

This show is so boring.

I never really thought of Shep, Austin and Thomas as good looking until they were around the guys on this show. Compared to them they look like models. 

I like Daniel, is that his name? The curly haired guy who called out the racist weirdo, he's the only one I like. I used to like Ashley too until she started defending that weirdo. 

And I can't look at Lyle without thinking about him getting expelled from high school for taking upskirt shots. That's so creepy and gross. It's not like selfie sticks were around back then, so how the he'll was he doing it? So gross. 

• Love 5
(edited)

How old are these people?  If they're around 30, he would have been expelled 13 years ago. He probably sat at a desk and caught girls walking by. Digital cameras had been out for a while, and camera phones had been out since 2002. If these kids were rich, it's not unlikely that they had the best stuff.

Edited to add: Didn't Ashley get pregnant at 19, and her son is about 8. That makes these clowns around 28. So that incident probably happened around 2006. He most likely had a camera phone by then.

Edited by Swim mom

I'm starting to find this show hard to watch (which is saying something given how much other crappy Bravo stuff I actively enjoy).  But these people, for the most part, are so truly detestable- and not in that "love-to-hate" way.  

I kept waiting for the guys to apologize to Daniel too, but since Lyle is still gloating about taking pictures up skirts and the show started out with them all bragging about "cotton money," I don't know why I thought there would any self-recognition. And, god, Ashley's conversation with Catherine was so bizarre. Talk about someone who is always the victim- that's not Daniel, that's Ashley!

The cast of this show is so toxic, they bring out the worst in everyone. Shep, despite his MANY foibles, is usually fairly enjoyable, but put him with this crew and he's making callous comments about feeling like a refugee. SMH.

I need to figure out how to quit this show because I just get angry whenever I watch!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Swim mom said:

dited to add: Didn't Ashley get pregnant at 19, and her son is about 8. That makes these clowns around 28. So that incident probably happened around 2006. He most likely had a camera phone by then.

That kid looks small for a 20 year old because that's the only way I'll believe Ashley had him at 19. 

She cannot possibly be only in her late 20s (if he's 10?) 

Does not compute! Does not compute!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Suck It Trebek said:

That kid looks small for a 20 year old because that's the only way I'll believe Ashley had him at 19. 

The Borders family just seems messed up in age appearance.  Ashley & Nelson are the same age and the others are a couple of years younger, according to her HuffPo interview, so she's probably 33 and the others are 31, based on the info the show's provided.  That makes the son 13 or 14, and he looks younger.  But then you add Ashley's mom into the mix...and she looks maybe 5 years older at most than Ashley.  Maybe Ashley as absorbed all the aging for her mom & kid?

• Love 1

I think the bleached blonde hair and crazy bright lipstick (that's always weirdly smeared) are aging her, along with likely sun damage.  I think she looks younger and much more natural in her wedding photo, which was only a few years ago:

southern-charmed-savannah-season-1-photo

• Love 7

I'd use Ashley as an anti filler-and-Botox poster girl.  She possibly could be late 20s but getting your face overly sculpted and plumped makes one look like a 48-year-old Real Housewife.

It's almost terrifying how that one guy made a racial slur and there are more people finding it excusable than not.  Worse yet is Racist Guy's (I forget his name but he doesn't deserve one anyway) insistence that he did nothing wrong.  Reminds me of my 'neighborhood bigot' (don't we all have one?) who insists "I'm not a rascist, I have a black friend and she is wonderful!"

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Worse yet is Racist Guy's (I forget his name but he doesn't deserve one anyway) insistence that he did nothing wrong.

Sadly, he told us that he can anything "in the privacy" of his own home.  If he can get that thought and habit out of his head, he won't make any insulting errors in public.  Sometimes those insulting errors turn dangerous.

2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I think she looks younger and much more natural in her wedding photo, which was only a few years ago:

...and she looked better when they were escaping the hurricane and she had NO lipstick.  That big red blob can't be worn by everyone.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Sadly, he told us that he can anything "in the privacy" of his own home.  If he can get that thought and habit out of his head, he won't make any insulting errors in public.  

it's true- we can say/do what we please at home but when you say it to guests who would be hurt by it... Why?  I felt awful and uncomfortable for long-haired guy (Dan?).  So much for being a 'southern gentleman'.  That is no way to treat a guest in your home.  On the bright side, previews show Racist's mom calling him out on it.

BTW I totally agree on how much better Ashley looks with little-to-no makeup.  She looked pretty and glowy and 10 years younger than she normally does.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Suck It Trebek said:

She cannot possibly be only in her late 20s (if he's 10?) 

Does not compute! Does not compute!

So agree!  I just turned 38 and when I watch this I view her as a senior to me. 

I think in the beginning she said something was a mix of one religion and Buddha-ism. 

I fell asleep mid-way through. I'm dying to know, did Ashley's fish survive the road trip? It was ridiculous how she seatbelted in a FULL fishbowl. I can't imagine they made it out of town without hitting an incline, stopping short, or just making a basic left-hand turn and the contents sloshing all over the car.

Regarding Ashley's wedding photo above: Holy smokes! That explains why she looks so old in a plasticy way--she has a whole new face! I had just assumed the obvious 20-year age difference between her and the rest of the cast was because she was the 4th-grade (best year ever!!!!!) teacher at Savannah Country Day.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, Lizzing said:

The Borders family just seems messed up in age appearance.  Ashley & Nelson are the same age and the others are a couple of years younger, according to her HuffPo interview, so she's probably 33 and the others are 31, based on the info the show's provided.  That makes the son 13 or 14, and he looks younger.  But then you add Ashley's mom into the mix...and she looks maybe 5 years older at most than Ashley.  Maybe Ashley as absorbed all the aging for her mom & kid?

I'd believe him to be 13 or 14. TV shows really mess with my perception of what a teen looks like. Knowing tween age kids, though, I'd say he could be 14. 

On 6/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, Nancybeth said:

I think the bleached blonde hair and crazy bright lipstick (that's always weirdly smeared) are aging her, along with likely sun damage.  I think she looks younger and much more natural in her wedding photo, which was only a few years ago:

southern-charmed-savannah-season-1-photo

On 6/7/2017 at 0:05 PM, Kiki777 said:

I'd use Ashley as an anti filler-and-Botox poster girl.  She possibly could be late 20s but getting your face overly sculpted and plumped makes one look like a 48-year-old Real Housewife.

It's almost terrifying how that one guy made a racial slur and there are more people finding it excusable than not.  Worse yet is Racist Guy's (I forget his name but he doesn't deserve one anyway) insistence that he did nothing wrong.  Reminds me of my 'neighborhood bigot' (don't we all have one?) who insists "I'm not a rascist, I have a black friend and she is wonderful!"

Oh yes the fillers/makeup/hairstyling do age her so much. If she feels good, more power to her. But compared to the other people in the group, she looks like she has 15 years on them. 

I think that this iteration of Southern Charm has a charisma problem. Even if the Charleston gang was not an organic gang to begin with, they all have the "charm" to socialize and put their best foot forward. Even when they are messy, they seem to be there for one another. No one in the Savannah crew has the charisma to carry the show. Even though some of them appear to be good friends in real life, they don't know how to interact with people in a way that is appealing. Daniel seems to be the only one who has social grace. 

On 6/6/2017 at 6:50 AM, AttackTurtle said:

I stand by liking Daniel.  Other than him, I simply find nothing appealing about this cast.  On what planet would Lyle be considered a catch?  He makes T-Rav look like marriage material by comparison.   

On 6/6/2017 at 9:15 PM, MrsWitter said:

I kept waiting for the guys to apologize to Daniel too, but since Lyle is still gloating about taking pictures up skirts and the show started out with them all bragging about "cotton money," I don't know why I thought there would any self-recognition. And, god, Ashley's conversation with Catherine was so bizarre. Talk about someone who is always the victim- that's not Daniel, that's Ashley!

Yes Lyle is absolutely a pig. So gleeful in trying the prove that Ashley had a low status job. Who cares? 

And Ashley's victim complex is unbelievable. She keeps going on about how she's always been an outsider. Fine, I understand being artsy and eccentric in a buttoned up world. But that doesn't mean that you understand how Azam or Daniel feel. 

• Love 4

three things...

1. What was on the painting behind Ashley and her mother when they were sitting on the couch talking, they obviously covered it up.

2. How old is Ashley's mother cause they look pretty close in age, depending on that it could this could be a compliment or an insult!

3. Why does Catherine (the correct spelling according to her)always seem drunky?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, stacyasp said:

3. Why does Catherine (the correct spelling according to her)always seem drunky?

I think because she always IS actually drunky. Or maybe she thinks it's cute or, ahem, "charming"?

• Love 2
On 6/7/2017 at 1:31 PM, Former Nun said:

...and she looked better when they were escaping the hurricane and she had NO lipstick.  That big red blob can't be worn by everyone.

I would have to agree with this. I often get compliments from strangers on my red lipstick when I wear it but I think you have to have the right skin tone/hair and use a quality lipstick. Quality affects the pigmentation and if it bleeds, also it's not slapdash - the manufacturer studies if it looks flattering in various lights and if the formula looks even and supple. Only some people can pull off a bold red and they have to choose the product well. 

• Love 2

I was a pale, freckled redhead who always got compliments when I wore red lipstick and/or clothing.    When I was a kid my mother told me I couldn't wear red...or blue and green together.  OY!

• Love 2

This show is beyond boring.

I finally watched this episode yesterday,after it sat on my DVR for nearly a week.  Now I know why.  Because it's boring AF (thank you, StASSi from VR) 

I'm about ready to check out and away from these idiots who suffer from the worst tv crime possible - - a case of being dull.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2017 at 3:42 PM, Former Nun said:

I was a pale, freckled redhead who always got compliments when I wore red lipstick and/or clothing.    When I was a kid my mother told me I couldn't wear red...or blue and green together.  OY!

same here.  my brother would always say 'i rather be dead than red on the head'. the best revenge was when he finally

had a boy after 4 girls and he has red hair!

• Love 5
On 6/7/2017 at 0:05 PM, Kiki777 said:

Agreed. I thought she was mid 40s.  I thought her body was great for her age.  Now I'm thinking her body is just okay for her age.  I thought her desire to show it off was her being in a middle aged crisis.

Nelson, racist guy, is a fucking joke.  Get him and that brain dead perv Lyle off this show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Nelson, racist guy, is a fucking joke.

I'm not so sure Nelson is a racist...but his blissful ignorance is EVERY KIND of offensive.   Let's start with vainglorious...an excellent word.  His mother may be giving him corrections now, but somehow she missed his early years when it was important.  It would be interesting to see what makes this guy tick--why he makes up outlandish lies (all his life, apparently), pisses off everyone, and then just expects to be included as one of the gang.  He doesn't have a clue how to deal with humans.

• Love 2

I've tried more than once to watch this show but I can't get through an entire episode. I attempted to watch this episode for the sole purpose of seeing what would happen with the hurricane. Our house collapsed in NJ when Hurricane Irene came through so I was curious to see what kind of damage there would be. What a waste of time. I FF'd through the ep just to see a few trees on the ground. Not that I want to see anyone go through what we went through but damn, we didn't even have to evacuate but if we did, I certainly wouldn't bring a an uncovered fishtank in my car.

Yeah, this show really does make Southern Charm seem tolerable.

Also, hello to all my fellow gingers, I have blue eyes and wear red a lot, I have to admit my red lipstick is my go-to when I go out, Chanel has some really good shades of red that allow me to sing a whole set without it smearing lol.

31 minutes ago, tveyeonyou said:

Also, hello to all my fellow gingers, I have blue eyes and wear red a lot, I have to admit my red lipstick is my go-to when I go out, Chanel has some really good shades of red that allow me to sing a whole set without it smearing lol.

Hello!   My hair is white.  I'm 77 (last Sunday) and red lipstick is just so wrong on me.   Maybe because I'm too lazy to wear any make-up that would "make it work."  I don't even know if it would bleed.

I think this low-rent cast got a low-rent production crew. Bad, choppy editing. No explanation of the kid and husband. Where were they staying? Seems like a lot is happening behind the scenes between all the cast and nothing is making it to final edit. The stupid veranda fight was just so stupid. Like watching 2 drunk and incoherent sorority sisters fight. At first it's interesting, where's it gonna go? But then you just lose interest in the middle and go find some interesting people to talk to. Boring and affected. The whole lot of them. 

On June 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Not only are these people boring, charmless and unappealing to look at, but they apparently have flatulence issues. Two extreme fart scenes in one episode...talk about really scraping the bottom of the barrel for desperate attempts at humor.

Only vaguely amusing moment of this show: drunk Shep's triumphant shouts of "Balding! Balding!" at drunk Lyle's head. 

For someone named Happy, that gal is the most miserable looking/acting female on reality television. Weeping at the table? Good lord, please go find some good meds and live up to your name already.

Not even the Charleston gang can save this show.

I KNOW! Only amusing part is brought by a non-cast member! 

Also, Happy. Poor Happy, looking so hard to find some injustice to get outraged over and cry about. 

• Love 1
On June 6, 2017 at 0:45 AM, Drumpf1737 said:

This show sucks

Maybe his father being a thief along the likes of a Madoff character has something to do with Daniel not getting into the club. Or maybe Daniel is just an asshole and rubbed some people in the club the wrong way. Maybe, just maybe, he can't get in for some reason other than discrimination. 

This whole lot of them is extremely self righteous and sanctimonious. And stupid. And really have no clue about the real world and true injustices. But are trying very hard to preach about it. Can't stand any of them. 

• Love 2