Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Open Investigation

Nev and Max embark on the biggest case of their lives as they track down the infamous Shelly Chartier to uncover new truths as they investigate the celebrity catfishing of Paris Roxanne and NBA star Chris "Birdman" Andersen.

The show obviously heard about this & decided to pretend that Paris was worried that Shelly might catfish someone else, because there was absolutely no other reason to do an episode about this. 

I really wonder about the woman in Texas, was she really innocent?

Was something wrong with Shelly's jaw? It seemed like she couldn't move her mouth.

• Love 3

Paris is now engaged to DON McLEAN, the "American Pie" guy! She's twenty-six and he's SEVENTY-ONE. So I guess I need to apologize to Paris's parents: she evidently wanted to get with a rich celebrity, and she has.

I missed this part of the ep because my TiVo cut off. WHAT? Paris, girl. Where are your friends?

• Love 1

watching Shelly speak for herself is too sad to be entertaining

Those (non)TEETH!  All I saw was black when she opened her mouth.  Girl must be in serious pain, no?  I could smell her breath through my tv.  Yeesh. 

I like Nev and Max, I think they are good people with good hearts.  They are just not cut out for investigative reporting.  I was a bit embarrassed for them as they really came off as nervous and inexperienced, reminding me of the Chris Farley SNL sketch with Paul McCartney ("Remember I Wanna Hold Your Hand?  That was awesome!"  This episode would have been unwatchable had it not been for the Blair Witch editing to make it look like they were on a mission into the dark underbelly of no man's land to search out the "diabolical" Shelly, who turns out to be a bored mush-mouthed back woods hick.  Oh well, at least they tried something different.  This season has been pretty ho-hum so far.

• Love 8

Paris is now engaged to DON McLEAN, the "American Pie" guy! She's twenty-six and he's SEVENTY-ONE. So I guess I need to apologize to Paris's parents: she evidently wanted to get with a rich celebrity, and she has.

I missed this part of the ep because my TiVo cut off. WHAT? Paris, girl. Where are your friends?

Multiple sources say they are actually NOT engaged, that she is merely his "social media person." Make better hires, Don! Then again, other things say they ARE getting married. Since he confessed to beating up his ex wife recently, maybe they deserve each other?

• Love 2

According to TMZ, Don's rep shot down rumors of the engagement back in January, saying that Paris handles Don's social media and she put that weird post out there. That was 5 months ago, so who knows. Thought it was funny that of all the people he'd hire to handle his social media, he'd pick this moron.

Shelly's a strange one, alright. She's 30 with the face of a 12 year old and the mouth of a 90 year old. Her husband has got to be a real prize too.

I don't remember talk of that Texas woman Shelly co-catfished with in the 20/20 episode. Did they cut that out because it was so confusing?

• Love 2

One would think that a quick google search of Paris and this whole story would indicate that she perhaps isn't the best person to run your social media accounts...

• Love 5

So ... shouldn't the subject of this episode REALLY have been "the woman in Texas"? Why wasn't she named? Why wasn't she interviewed? Why didn't they immediately fly from Canadian wastelands to Texas wastelands, and parachute into her backyard to knock knock on her door and say "wassup?" like they do to all the other catfishers? * thought the husband came across as likeable and making the best of an odd situation. The mother came across as selfish and self-absorbed, and Shelly as irremediably wounded by the experience of having no human contact except her mother and online gaming. She's either mentally stunted or possibly stoned ... valium or marijuana or both.

• Love 13

I find it hard to summon one bit of empathy for Paris. She and her fake boobs (seriously who has those at 17 and what kind of parents does she have?) were obviously looking to hook up with a celebrity. I do feel for Chris although he was stupid to exchange nude selfies with someone he'd never met.

• Love 13
  5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Multiple sources say they are actually NOT engaged, that she is merely his "social media person." Make better hires, Don! Then again, other things say they ARE getting married. Since he confessed to beating up his ex wife recently, maybe they deserve each other?

That's a match made in heaven or hell, possibly. She's a famewhore and he's a wife beater.

This should have been saved for 'catfish; untold stories.'  Shelly's story reeks of legal strategy to me, i.e. "I'm facing extradition to the U.S. so I'll blame an anonymous American woman for masterminding the whole thing."  I do agree that one year in jail is enough, she doesn't need a life sentence.  It was pretty pointless to go up there for her depressed, bored interview especially since they didn't even bring Paris along. 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

she evidently wanted to get with a rich celebrity, and she has.

I'm not sure McLain really is a "rich celebrity" anymore. Last year, he was selling off memorabilia and crying poverty, so he may not all that rich. And as for being a celebrity, while I remember him (because I was in high school the year that "American Pie" took the country by storm), does anyone from Paris' generation even know who he is? I would have thought that latching onto a pro athlete or up-and-coming rocker would be more her style.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 2

Something I just remembered, when they showed the the first time Paris posted on Chris' account, she posted something like "text me, my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx", she posted her actual phone number online for everyone to see. What kind of moron is this girl?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GaT said:

What kind of moron is this girl?

She was an "aspiring model" in L.A. who obviously lacked proper parental supervision.  Who lets their 17 year old girl fly somewhere alone to meet up with a boyfriend and spend the weekend?  Also, who buys their 17 year old breast implants?  No way those were her real boobs.

• Love 8

I was left feeling confused on this. I was so skeptical of Shelley. I was trying to pick apart her story as she told it - like yeah, sure, woman in Texas, um hmm.

And then I started thinking...likely has a pretty severe mental or emotional disorder (agoraphobia), she and her mom both appear to be indigenous people, they are obviously poor, and then she said she was pregnant and they told her that pleading guilty would get her out earlier than going to trial.

In the end I'm still not sure I believe her, but I can completely believe the circumstances and that she was the scapegoat for Paris and the lady in Texas. 

• Love 6

Could somebody explain to me why Nev and Max asked to tour the house, and also enter the bedroom of the mother?  What was the point of it?  Were they just trying to show how they lived while explaining about Shelly's fear of leaving the house?  It seemed a bit exploitative to me, but admittedly I wasn't paying total attention at the beginning when they explained that she was reclusive, so it may have had something to do with that.  Also, was it ever explained why the mother has not gotten out of bed, or walked anywhere since Shelly was born?  Who took care of Shelly as a baby, and who took care of mom when Shelly was a baby?

Thanks for any answers you may have for me! 

• Love 2

This episode has so many disturbing layers.

That house.  From the teeth, to the absolutely disconnected mom, to the disconnect shelly to the disconnected 'husband'.  Winnipeg. Yeesh.

Residential Schools.  Drug abuse. So disturbing.

• Love 2

It was really weird how not a lot of things seemed to add up but they didn't feel the need to investigate anything further.  Paris' story did no mach Shelly's. Shelly never made any mention about trying to get Paris to go to Indiana to steal some dude's gaming password... they never questioned Shelly about it... 

The Texas women obviously didn't give her consent to be talked about on the show so they bleeped her name and couldn't contact her.  Shelly was obviously instructed to call her 'the texas woman' even though her name came out a couple times.  

And Shelly looked like she was obviously on something, yet sometimes very coherent in her thoughts.  That was bizarre. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DocOFtheDead said:

Could somebody explain to me why Nev and Max asked to tour the house, and also enter the bedroom of the mother?  What was the point of it?  Were they just trying to show how they lived while explaining about Shelly's fear of leaving the house?  It seemed a bit exploitative to me, but admittedly I wasn't paying total attention at the beginning when they explained that she was reclusive, so it may have had something to do with that.  Also, was it ever explained why the mother has not gotten out of bed, or walked anywhere since Shelly was born?  Who took care of Shelly as a baby, and who took care of mom when Shelly was a baby?

Thanks for any answers you may have for me! 

At some point, I believe it was the Canadian police officer who disclosed that Shelley's mother had rheumatoid arthritis and Shelley had stayed at home with her for over a decade to help nurse her.

During the scenes they show the mom in the bedroom you can see that her fingers have the distinct curvature that people suffering from that type of arthritis can get in advanced cases.  

I don't know who took care of Shelley as a baby. She did have a cousin there (the guy sitting with her mom), so I presume family members may have helped her out.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gunderda said:

It was really weird how not a lot of things seemed to add up but they didn't feel the need to investigate anything further.  

That's because they're not investigators. They pretend that they are, but they're actually just two guys on a "reality" show.

• Love 5

This all made very little sense, and was weird and exploitative in a way I'm just not comfortable with. Paris is clearly super desperate for attention, Shelly was caught and did her time. The whole pretense of "I want to make sure she doesn't do it again" is just laughably thin. All the filming like they were going to somehow "bust" her or something, like this was a mystery to be solved when they were put into contact with her by the policeman that helped convict her?

Ugh, the whole thing is just gross and sad. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Could somebody explain to me why Nev and Max asked to tour the house, and also enter the bedroom of the mother? 

At one point early in the story, it was mentioned that the house Shelly was holed up in was "barely habitable".  I was interested to see the interior, but it looked fine to me - basic, but actually comfortably habitable.  I think Nev and Max were looking for skeletons, pentagrams, eyes of newt etc.  . . .

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

At one point early in the story, it was mentioned that the house Shelly was holed up in was "barely habitable".  I was interested to see the interior, but it looked fine to me - basic, but actually comfortably habitable.  I think Nev and Max were looking for skeletons, pentagrams, eyes of newt etc.  . . .

Judging by the drive there, looks like a Reserve.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 1:37 PM, uoflfan said:

I find it hard to summon one bit of empathy for Paris. She and her fake boobs (seriously who has those at 17 and what kind of parents does she have?) were obviously looking to hook up with a celebrity. I do feel for Chris although he was stupid to exchange nude selfies with someone he'd never met.

omg exactly I was like wth kind of parents let a 17 yo fly somewhere to spend the night with her bf?  I don't feel bad for her at all or the creepy 33 yo bball player that "thought she was 18".  ok.

Edited by noveltylibrary65
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, vinnieprice said:

This all made very little sense, and was weird and exploitative in a way I'm just not comfortable with. Paris is clearly super desperate for attention, Shelly was caught and did her time. The whole pretense of "I want to make sure she doesn't do it again" is just laughably thin. All the filming like they were going to somehow "bust" her or something, like this was a mystery to be solved when they were put into contact with her by the policeman that helped convict her?

Ugh, the whole thing is just gross and sad. 

In total agreement with this.

• Love 2
On 5/19/2017 at 3:58 AM, qqererer said:

This episode has so many disturbing layers.

That house.  From the teeth, to the absolutely disconnected mom, to the disconnect shelly to the disconnected 'husband'.  Winnipeg. Yeesh.

Residential Schools.  Drug abuse. So disturbing.

Not really understanding the dis of residential schools? I actually thought the house was fine. An attempt had been made to make it homey. 

So how did Shelly get Chris' phone number anyway? Were those damning texts from Texas Woman real or created for the show? Why is a famous athlete sending out nekkid pix? Can Shelly pull one more blackmail scam so she can buy herself some teeth?

• Love 1

I have not been enjoying this season.  I started this episode but couldn't get through it.   Their movie was fascinating and I loved it.  The first season or 2 held my interest.  Then it started to slide. 

Everyone has to be aware of catfishing at this point including those who contact Nev.  I have to believe that their clients know the scoop but want to get Nev to expose what they already know and bust them with a splash. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

In this article, they claim Shelly's family is one of the most "prominent families in town." Damn. 

That article is an eye-opener. Shelly is one twisted, manipulative little shit. Nev and Max were in way over their head with her. I bet old Gord was laughing his ass off behind their back, with their thinking they could talk her out of catfishing again. She'll find a way around the system eventually.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2017 at 7:57 PM, noveltylibrary65 said:

omg exactly I was like wth kind of parents let a 17 yo fly somewhere to spend the night with her bf?  I don't feel bad for her at all or the creepy 33 yo bball player that "thought she was 18".  ok.

I'm still really freakin' curious how the age/travel thing went down.

I'm pretty sure that when 20/20 did their segment on the story, Chris' lawyer said that Paris booked her ticket through Chris' travel agent (basically he was paying for it, and Paris just had to call the agent, who then set up her flights). The lawyer said that she gave the agent a birth date that would make her 21, and because she successfully flew to Colorado, he figured it matched the date on her ID, otherwise she wouldn't have been allowed to board the flight.

So did Paris have exceptionally good fake ID? Was a TSA agent asleep at the wheel? Or was the lawyer's story BS, and Chris knowingly flew a 17 yr old out for sex?

I really wish Catfish had actually attempted to clear up some of the strange aspects of the story, instead of focusing 100% on the "Diabolical" Shelly. Clearly, what Shelly did was wrong, but if Paris was a 17 yr old representing herself as 21 to snag an athlete, isn't that basically catfishing as well?

• Love 9
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

In this article, they claim Shelly's family is one of the most "prominent families in town." Damn. 

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/06/06/birdmans-vengeful-ghost-252517.html

Good article!  I wondered where all the other victims ("over 11") were in Shelley's story where she accidentally stumbled upon this scheme to setup one couple and then was talked into blackmailing them. In reality, she had blackmailed a dozen people by that point.  Nev/Max gave her some free PR to clear her name with a 100% BS story.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Sienna said:

I really wish Catfish had actually attempted to clear up some of the strange aspects of the story, instead of focusing 100% on the "Diabolical" Shelly. Clearly, what Shelly did was wrong, but if Paris was a 17 yr old representing herself as 21 to snag an athlete, isn't that basically catfishing as well?

Exactly.  I had no idea why the focus was on Shelly, since she had done her time already.

• Love 3
(edited)

That article was heavily sympathetic to the basketball player, and while I have some sympathy for him I also give him some side eye for flying Paris out for a weekend fling when they had never even spoken. No matter how they vilify Shelly (and on another forum I frequent they ripped her to shreds), after viewing this show I only feel pity for her. I find her more depressing than diabolical. 

I do not understand why, if someone knows he did nothing wrong, he goes ahead and pays a blackmailer. That in itself is wrong.

Edited by ForReal
Correction, addition
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, ForReal said:

That article was heavily sympathetic to the basketball player, and while I have some sympathy for him I also give him some side eye for flying Paris out for a weekend fling when they had never even spoken. No matter how they vilify Shelly (and on another forum I frequent they ripped her to shreds), after viewing this show I only feel pity for her. I find her more depressing than diabolical. 

I do not understand why, if someone knows he did nothing wrong, he goes ahead and pays a blackmailer. That in itself is wrong.

There is a reason why someone came up with that half your age plus 7 years rule. 33 years old and messing with (I'm going to be somewhat generous to him) a woman that he thought was either 18 or 21. That's still too young for a man who was solidly in his 30s.

Additionally, TSA is supposed to be checking your ID to make sure you are who you say you are. She must have been using her real ID for the ticket. His travel people probably booked her ticket without any feedback loop to him or his management that she was actually 17. He's actually really lucky because he could have been prosecuted for transporting a minor across state lines for sex.

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 0:37 PM, uoflfan said:

Both Paris and her parents are objectively terrible. To be as young as she was and cynically looking to hook up with a celebrity is nihilistically terrifying. It hints at her being taught that her only worth was in her looks and between her thighs. That her parents acquiesced to her going to another state for any dude and never bothered to check with his family or her accommodations, says a lot to me.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

There is a reason why someone came up with that half your age plus 7 years rule. 33 years old and messing with (I'm going to be somewhat generous to him) a woman that he thought was either 18 or 21. That's still too young for a man who was solidly in his 30s.

That's a compatibility rule; it doesn't really apply if the only immediate interest by the parties is sex. And it's only a general rule of thumb anyway; people in their teens can be mature for their age and there are folks in their 30's who never really grew up.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

He's actually really lucky because he could have been prosecuted for transporting a minor across state lines for sex.

As the article noted, there was nothing illegal about the sex, so that wouldn't apply. She'd have had to be under Colorado's AOC of 17, or gone for purposes of prostitution.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That's a compatibility rule; it doesn't really apply if the only immediate interest by the parties is sex. And it's only a general rule of thumb anyway; people in their teens can be mature for their age and there are folks in their 30's who never really grew up.

As the article noted, there was nothing illegal about the sex, so that wouldn't apply. She'd have had to be under Colorado's AOC of 17, or gone for purposes of prostitution.

I agree about age. I have always dated men I wanted, whether they were 20 years older or 5 years younger.

By 17 I had a college degree. By 22 I had written 2 books and was a post-war photographer, traveling through Bosnia and Beirut alone. My boyfriend was 39. I don't put stock in what society thinks I should do.

THESE people, though. Sheesh. 17 year old Paris flying around to meet men and getting fake boobs presumably as a teen...it makes me sad. I had pity for Shelly as well.

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3

I have to say that I'm still perfectly able to muster up sympathy for Andersen and Paris. He hooked up with a typical groupie he thought was of age. That happens every day a hundred times over. She might be an idiot and her parents might be crap, but at the end of the day she didn't deserve rape threats and to have her nude photos posted on the internet, nor did he deserve charges of distributing child pornography. That's no joke, all of that is a hell of a lot worse than just "gross, he should hook up with someone older and she shouldn't lie about her age and make bad choices." Sounds like Shelly had a hell of a lot more victims than the show even touched on, based on the various articles and news segments. Weird that they tried to stage it like she'd learned her lesson or something. She said she had nobody to blame but herself, literally in the middle of blaming the ENTIRE thing on the "Texas woman."

• Love 5

Is it typical for an athlete to fly in a groupie he's never even spoken to for a hookup? Shelly didn't accuse him of distributing child pornography, so you can't put all that on her; it was the decision of law enforcement in the US to pursue that. And the best way to not have nude photos of yourself posted on the internet is not to send them out to strangers in the first place, but I don't know if it was all that traumatic for her -- just look at her website.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2017 at 0:59 AM, guilfoyleatpp said:

And then I started thinking...likely has a pretty severe mental or emotional disorder (agoraphobia), she and her mom both appear to be indigenous people, they are obviously poor, and then she said she was pregnant and they told her that pleading guilty would get her out earlier than going to trial.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, qqererer said:

Judging by the drive there, looks like a Reserve.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2013/11/05/chris_andersen_case_who_is_the_manitoba_woman_accused_of_catfishing_miam

The first paragraph of the linked story from the Toronto Star:

EASTERVILLE, MAN.—Five hours north of Winnipeg, in a rundown, trailer-sized home on a tiny First Nations reserve at the end of a 20-kilometre, crater-filled gravel road, lives the alleged mastermind of a complicated Internet con that nearly ruined the career of an NBA star.

I'm hammering away at this not to justify Shelly's behavior - but to underline that she has been facing a unique set of challenges her whole life. Health care on the res is better in Canada than in the US, but it's still not the best.  Dropping out of school in sixth grade to take care of your mother, losing your teeth in your twenties - these are poor people problems.  

One of my closest friends in the whole world had a mother who just kind of collapsed into a severe depression-anxiety-agoraphobia disorder when he was eight - and he along with his four siblings have suffered from the same disorders throughout their adult lives - whether from  genetics or childhood stress, I don't know and in a way don't care.  I'm sure that Shelly has something similar going on (since I suspect that Delia has psychological problems that accompany her physical problems) and  I'm equally sure she has never gotten much help for it - in prison least of all (in Canada as in the US indigenous people make up a disproportionate number of the incarcerated - around 24% in Canada where they make up about five percent of the total population).  You know what wasn't much help either?  This goddamned show.  Like I said, I don't condone what Shelly did in any way, but she wasn't just bored, she was desperate - a life, like a mind, is a terrible thing to waste.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this article and you did a great job of capturing how Nev and Max got to the bottom of... nothing. I did appreciate the dialogue with her mom about Shelley's potential extradition because while painful, it brought out potential consequences for her family down the road.

That being said. Shelly's sad, but she's still dangerous. Not evil the way Nev seemed to describe, but she did hurt a lot of people. That being said, I don't believe a word of the spin she told Nev. Sure, the gig is up in Canada so what did she have to gain by lying? Well, everything if she is extradited to the U.S. Also, I'm sure she succeeded in infuriating her "enemy" who also grew up without real parenting or so it seems, an enemy she seems hellbent on dressing like nowadays, and she's a pretty good likeness unless she smiles.

That "enemy" was in fact a child. She did distribute and publish child pornography less that fact is lost on us. Maybe she's not a Machiavellian genius, but she's a criminal who belongs in jail, save for her mom, who has already kept her in jail most of her life, save for the fact that the poor woman can't help it.

Um, I wouldn't believe she was pregnant unless I saw a test from a doctor.

And, I wouldn't believe she wasn't online reading this.

• Love 2
  On 5/19/2017 at 9:40 AM, gunderda said:

It was really weird how not a lot of things seemed to add up but they didn't feel the need to investigate anything further.  

That's because they're not investigators. They pretend that they are, but they're actually just two guys on a "reality" show.

I wish Nev had looked in Shelly's medicine cabinet.

• Love 1

If Paris and Birdman had thought with anything but their genitals this couldn't have happened, at least not with Birdman. Now, Paris?..lol, she was actively and with her momager (come on what else is she? And actually Mother?. No!) Yes! It definitely could've. Paris is just another kartrashian type.
Shelly did her time. She should be left alone to move on, as she asked to be. As for Nev and Max, Nev should worship at the altar of his catfish, after all...she,made him the "man" he is today. And Max just gets to snicker to himself about how Nev acts,while getting paid hopefully that is,the humongous bucks. Hey,he's got to deal with nev, he deserves those dollar$!.According to a 20/20 exposé on this, paris got married to a famous guy that's 50 something years OLDER than she is. So,her and her momager will be rich in about a decade or less. You know..after che dies...

If Paris and Birdman had thought with anything but their genitals this couldn't have happened, at least not with Birdman. Now, Paris?..lol, she was actively and with her momager (come on what else is she? And actually Mother?. No!) Yes! It definitely could've. Paris is just another kartrashian type.
Shelly did her time. She should be left alone to move on, as she asked to be. As for Nev and Max, Nev should worship at the altar of his catfish, after all...she,made him the "man" he is today. And Max just gets to snicker to himself about how Nev acts,while getting paid hopefully that is,the humongous bucks. Hey,he's got to deal with nev, he deserves those dollar$!.According to a 20/20 exposé on this, paris got married to a famous guy that's 50 something years OLDER than she is. So,her and her momager will be rich in about a decade or less. You know..after che dies...

EDIT of my post above: I meant "come on now,what else is she,an ACTUAL mother" . NOT "And actually mother". Silly Kindle auto spell!.

• Love 1