Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

How does his wife hold him back?

The other problem with the lifts is Denys and his wife are almost the same height. The other group has a giant and a tiny girl. Of course it's easy for him to fling her all over the place. Look at his build and his partner's build. Denys is a small guy so it'll be harder for him to do the lifts.

In terms of Denys' wife, I think they were talking about ability levels.   They thought that Denys was better.  I'm not the one that said it but I remember reading it. 

• Love 1

It was telegraphed from the start that Diana Pombo and Eva Igo would be going head to head, which is annoying. They are both talented and performed well, but I really loved the Lab...if they weren't quite so wee, I could see them holding their own in the adult group competition. Their tiny little superstar, at least, is going places. Girl is fierce! Also, ImmaBeast? I guess you were good at one point, but apparently you did not merit a mentoring montage, or even the airing of your full routine. That was lame. I could have done with about twenty minutes less of fawning and crying over Eva if it meant not cutting anyone's routine. 

Was Diana's choreographer the same one that did Sia's videos? A lot of the movements were very similar.

Swing Latino is a little too frenetic and all-over-the-place to take a top spot, but they did look like they were just having tons of fun. I don't think I'd vote for them to win (or, sorry, LOCK IN MY SCORES. Are my scores LOCKED? Let me LOCK IN MY SCORES. Gah.), but I totally wanted to just get up there and fling myself around with them. 

Love SuperCr3w, but did not love that performance. Kudos to them for trying something new and displaying unusually emotional material for B-Boys, but I agree with the judges that it didn't really gel. The only thing that really impressed me was that one guy's solo where he kept bouncing from his hand to his forearm. Amazing. And also, ouch.

• Love 2
(edited)

If one of the little bendy girls win this thing I'm going to be really pissed.  

And I really liked Misty Copeland ... first time anyone gave real, useful critiques all season.

Swing Latino was a hot, hot mess. I liked super crew's idea  - it reminded me of LXD - but it needed a little more work and a lot less fog.

Edited by s-k-s
  • Love 2

I have only been halfheartedly watching this but I had to come see if I was missing something with Swing Latino. They don't seem high energy to me as much as exhausting. Like others have said, frantic and frenetic. As for the others so far? Meh. I think the production of the show is interfering with my enjoyment of the dancers. 

• Love 1

There should have been Junior Solo and Junior Group categories. Its not logical to put a girl doing 10,000 HMVs against a group who has multiple members that have to appear in sync, which is mainly what they are judged on.  All the girl has to do is her 10,001st HMV.

• Love 6

So much FLAILING ABOUT.  I may be talking about the Eva and Diana, or flailing of arms from the judges.   I did like Eva's a wee bit more (and she made J Lo cry while in full glam mode!) but...meh.  

Their tiny little superstar, at least, is going places. Girl is fierce!

I expect her on So You Think You Can Dance in a few years if the show lasts for that long.  The whole group was great and I hope they would make it through but she's got potential to be in demand in a decade.

I really liked Misty Copeland being a judge...her commentary made sense.  She wasn't just fawning over the dancers like the others.

Especially the comment about foot placement and how Eva manages to virtually suction her foot onto the floor.  I did find Diana wavering a bit more on one foot doing extensions.

• Love 3

I wished it was The Lab and Eva.  I love the little girl in the Lab.  The whole group has so much attitude.  I agree that there should have been a junior group and junior solo/duet category just like the adults.  Eva does a lot more variety of skills than Diana.  Diana just seems like she is just extending her left leg all the time.  Then she reaches for something while she puts on her rehearsed angsty face.  I don't agree that this was Diana's best performance.  I think it was her duels routine because at least, she worked with different rhythms and had some staccato moves as well as flowy ones.

Even though this wasn't SuperCr3w's best performance, I preferred their routine to Swing Latino.  The latter are clean but it's just too frenetic all the time.  Between that and the show's production, I really have to concentrate to see their dancing.  At least, they didn't wear sequences to distract me even more.  I felt emotion in SuperCr3w's routine.  It just needed to be cleaner but I still liked it better.  My favorite group is Kinjaz.  I like their production, the way they used the screens last week, synchronization, etc.

• Love 3

The Junior category has lost all appeal for me.  Don't like either of those girls (even though I recognize they are very flexible and can pose nicely), so don't care who wins.  I wanted The Lab in there.  Just ugh on those two angsty flaily contemporary snores.  < sigh >  This is the first time I have liked Swing Latino.  In the past I have found them way too frenetic and headache-inducing.  Minus the ridiculous sparkles (shut up, Derek, they should NEVER come back) and with not everyone doing something different at the same time, they were so much more enjoyable.  It actually looked like people dancing.  I also liked SuperCrew's routine.  It was not their usual, and I think that's partly why I enjoyed it so much.  They weren't afraid to try something different.  This is going to be a hard category for me, as I like most of the final groups. 

• Love 1

Just what we need, more "judging," more drawn out drama over the "scores," and more "coaching" --and even less dancing. Why on earth do they think people tune into a dance show. 

• Love 4
On 7/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, pivot said:

I was happy to see the two young girls make the cut. The rest of the younger groups didn't impress me. 

How would you know?  We didn't even get to see one group at all the entire competition.

Of the two things I dislike about this show, that is one.  It is incredibly disrespectful to both the teams and the audience to have semi-professional to professional dancers on and NOT SHOW THEIR WORK.  The other thing I hate is the judges.  Except in one case, their scores are too close together for me not to call producer shenanigans.  I like it better in competitions where the judges/producers can try to influence the vote but the final say is with the audience.  Maybe they could let the audience judge performance by a thumbs up/thumbs down method next time so they have some say.

• Love 2

I stumbled across this show for the first time just as the Lab went out and just stunned me with how they nailed the choreography, at their ages.

And then Eva came out, got the complete sob story and did her bendy routine, and then the tears came out, and of COURSE she was going to outscore the dozen or so kids who came out and KILLED it before her, because she had sads and still managed to do the routine anyway, I guess?

On the bright side, now I've caught up on The Lab's videos on YouTube, and I don't have to watch the rest of the season.

• Love 4

Seeing Diana and Eva "side-by-side" so to speak shows that even though they do the same style, Eva can dance, and Diana does Junior Gymnstic Floor Routines.  
The sisters were off-sync a bit (they probably knew they weren't going through so why bother) but the couch-fall was pretty cool.

I'm going to have a Lab vs Kinjaz finale in my head and they decide to split the pot, but not before doing a dance together.  A Kin-Lab dance would make heads explode!

Misty Copeland said "teams don't have stand-out performers".  Where has she been????

• Love 3

Boo.

Eva, yes, even though there's still some sauce missing in her performance, her routine was impressive enough to be in the finale. Diana, though, she can extend her leg, but so what? So do many contemporary dancers. 

So sad about the Lab. Although I think this is their weakest routine on the show because of the shiny costumes and background making it hard to see the moves, they are still more deserving than Diana. I love their fearlessness and I wish I had that much swag at their age. I loved the performance they did on KTLA.

• Love 2

I thought at first the sliver would make the Leb stand out - which would be good. But they did lose something in that. Sad about The Lab. Happy about Eva. I too don't get Diana. 

Loved Swing Latino. They cool and fun and so fast and clean and such good dancers. 

(edited)

I forgot to mention that I want an law or Consitutional amendment that no one is allowed to dance contemporary to "Rise Up" anymore.  I love the song but, Say No To Angst.

The majority of Swing Latino do not speak English.  It was so obvious when the critiques were being given. They were trying to be cool, but I could tell.

We could get another 5 -8 minutes of dancing if we didn't have to see the scoring levers 2,000 times a night.  Like Jo Lo wears black nail polish every single episode.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, jhlipton said:

And the little bit from 1:10 to 1:30 shows what can be done with contemporary if the the person knows how to DANCE!

ITA, just that little bit has me impressed. Great technique by that little girl. And no unnecessary writhing or HMV moves either!

(edited)

Posting these because it impressed me how clean in their movements these kids from the Lab are, even in comparison to some of the older crews. And watching these, it's obvious how certain details (especially the the tricks) were missed or not captured by the camera. Probably because they have to cut away to the judges reaction shots and wonky camera angles.

• Rehearsal for "Bad Boy 4 Life" qualifying performance, posted by that cute b-girl who is often in front doing tricks.
  • Rehearsal for All I do Is Win, duel performance: Part 1, Part 2.
Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

I'm not at all a fan of Les Twins so I was sad to see them not only score so high, but essentially kicked Fik-shun out of the running. I thought Fik-shun's routine was much better and it resonated with me much more.

I was glad to see Kinjaz do so well. Sad to see Super Cr3w gone though. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm not at all a fan of Les Twins so I was sad to see them not only score so high, but essentially kicked Fik-shun out of the running. I thought Fik-shun's routine was much better and it resonated with me much more.

ITA. I cannot understand why Les Twins keep getting scored so high. I see nothing innovative or interesting in their routines. They leave me utterly cold.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Souris said:

ITA. I cannot understand why Les Twins keep getting scored so high. I see nothing innovative or interesting in their routines. They leave me utterly cold.

Glad to see I'm not alone. I find myself zoning out when they're on. I don't know what it is, there's just this disconnect.

I was annoyed Fik-shun scored so low after getting such high praise from everyone but Ne-Yo. JLo was even telling Misty she was getting goosebumps.  So score him accordingly, grrr.

• Love 7

Man, Les Twins is sick. This was actually my least favorite of their performances so far. I never watched them before this. I think it was the music more than anything. 

The way they completely attack their routine and how connected they are has been a joy to watch. 

My concern is that their style doesn't leave as much room to evolve. They switch things up with impromptu movements but the overall approach in the same. 

The rope two both times played out the way I thought it would. It's rough though. A lot of talent getting dropped off.

• Love 2

Good to see I'm not alone in my Lab love. I wanted them and Eva because I do think she is talented. I don't get the adulation of Diana. Yes, she is flexible and can extend one leg but that is not the same as dancing. Interesting to see Misty Copeland call her out on technique. I'd rather see the little girl from the Lab any day. She reminded me of the little Jabberwocky girl when they performed on ABDC.

• Love 3

Luke & Jenalyn don’t dance, they do acrobatics, I'm glad they're gone.

I'm also glad that Ian Eastwood and the Young Lions is gone because I find the name of the group obnoxious, & the stupid "fog" annoyed me. Also, when did they beat Jabberwocky? I don't remember that at all. Jabberwocky & Super Cr3w being eliminated pretty takes away most of my interest from this show.

I wonder how long it takes between acts? When Fik-shun was dancing, I wondered how long it took them to put down & then clean up all those leaves.

I'm not looking forward to little girls doing high kicks next week.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm totally baffled by Fik-shun's low scores - particularly in light of how much everyone but Ne-Yo praised him.  I know that the judges prefer Les Twins, and I would have been ok with the outcome, but the huge gap between second and third is just weird to me.  It was weird too that Les Twins were praised by Ne-Yo for moves that Fik-shun did too - and I thought did better.  

Edited by Nilo
  • Love 10
(edited)

Tonight really showcased the potential/probable manipulations in scoring -- if we're seeing the routines in the actual order of performance. I feel like Fik-Shun was deliberately lowballed because there were bigger acts following him, so they couldn't risk his being too close to taking out Les Twins or K&M if one had a significant error. And then there's Luka and Jenalyn's huge drop-off in points after outscoring DNA by a wide margin in their last performance; I don't really dispute the marks tonight because I agree with the sentiment that actual dance, as well as more maturity in their performance, is lacking in their routines, but last time out -- even given DNA's errors -- felt like a pretty clear effort to push them on as the more "exciting" "ballroom" representatives, and now the chickens came home to roost. Swing Latino's high score is the only one I haven't quite pegged yet, unless the show wants to argue that it promotes style diversity and they were deemed the best reps for that.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 3

I've followed Les Twins since they first showed on Youtube.  I've never completely bought the hype, but always respected what they do.  IMO, they are mailing-in routines for this show.  They've done nothing innovative, nor mind-blowing, yet are scoring so high.  So yeah, I'll parrot others:  this reeks of a pre-determined outcome to crown them.  Whatever.   It's not like these shows are ever really a meritocracy, but it still aggravates.

Still really like what the Kinjaz bring, and I hope they milk this for all it's worth.  Mari & Keone are also a joy to watch.  I hope they likewise can land some more recognition.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Nilo said:

I'm totally baffled by Fik-shun's low scores - particularly in light of how much everyone but Ne-Yo praised him.  I know that the judges prefer Les Twins, and I would have been ok with the outcome, but the huge gap between second and third is just weird to me.  It was weird too that Les Twins were praised by Ne-Yo for moves that Fik-shun did too - and I thought did better.  

Yeah, me too but I wonder if the fact that he's currently on TV on SYTYCD has anything to do with it.  Probably not, though.  He seemed legitimately upset that he was cut.

I also don't like Les Twins nor Keone & Mari.  I think they're the top two just to have them face off against each other based on their past.

I love Kinjaz.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

Swing Latino's high score is the only one I haven't quite pegged yet, unless the show wants to argue that it promotes style diversity and they were deemed the best reps for that.

Maybe JLo recruited them, based on past collaboration?

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 2

Everyone can't be North American, if it's a true World of Dance. They at least have Swing Latino and Les Twins, so for 2 of the 3 categories it's NA vs Colombia and France, respectively. 

• Love 1

Fik-shun's low scores were absurd.  His routine was  creative, emotional story telling and his use of the umbrella as different props was outstanding.  I wonder if, somehow, the fact that he had won SYTYCD played into his departure.  Maybe the thought that "you've already won a major dance competition" or "you've won a rival dance competition" entered into whatever the equation was.  TPTB/show runners will always do what's in their best interest.

• Love 8

Great link to the JLo/Swing Latino connection, RomanKat. I believe I saw them perform that same routine on WOD. Count me as another who is not a fan of Les Twins. I don't care that they are "YouTube Sensations." So what. I still like Fik-Shun better, and think it stinks that he was low-balled. The judges have seen all the dances, the show has to do staging for camera work, and they already know who is going to win. I wonder what Fik-Shun did to piss them all off. And looks like next week we get a lot more HMV. Ugh.

• Love 3

I'm also glad that Ian Eastwood and the Young Lions is gone because I find the name of the group obnoxious

Thank you! It's so clunky. I get that it's HIS crew, but it's still a crew, and he doesn't need his name plastered over them, Trump-style. If he wants to be solo, then he should go solo.

The Upper category was the first cut that had me really holding my breath. I absolutely love Keone and Mari and Fikshun, and I like Les Twins a whole lot. Hate to see any of them go out. Fikshun was waaaay underscored though. I also got goosebumps at his routine like JLo, and he made me actually not hate that song for the first time. The way the judges (except Ne-yo) raved, I figured he'd get scores somewhere in the 90s...to see them all score him so low was really upsetting, and made me think (not for the first time) that all of the winners are predetermined. Glad that we at least have more chances to see Fik-shun as a SYTYCD all-star in the coming weeks.

Derek Hough makes me roll my eyes most of the time, but I was right there with him when he was like "Keoni and Mari's love isn't sunshine and rainbows 100% of the time?!? NOOOOO!" They're my ideal couple! I need to belieeeeve! Their routine was fantastic...I don't know how they didn't become eternally tangled in that band.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Just watched this...Fikshun was robbed. That was a lovely routine. I don't get Les Twins at all, as Len Goodwin would say, just a lot of faffin' around. 

I couldn't have said it better, and it looks like we have a lot of company, too...at least on this forum.  Maybe these producer shenanigans have something to do with why Jabbawockeez totally phoned in both of their "performances".  (On their worst day they could wipe the floor with Ian and his crew. If they wanted to, that is.)  Poor Fik-shun though, it really looked like he didn't get the memo and was blindsided by his scores, not to mention the ridiculous critique from N-Yo.    

• Love 3
(edited)

Luke & Jenalyn don’t dance, they do acrobatics, I'm glad they're gone.

Luka--( Ike Barinholtz)-  was super pissed.  They don't dance, they do tricks.  They should be in a Vegas or a circus.  Derek, when he was demonstrating a 2 second dance technique with a gesture, did more dancing in the tips of his fingers than they did.

I'm also glad that Ian Eastwood and the Young Lions is gone because I find the name of the group obnoxious, 

Aren't they just some group off of Youtube?  He's not related to Clint Eastwood, is he?  Why do they keep highlighting him? (he is a teen heart throb, though)

Have to keep saying that Mari has the ugliest haircut I've ever seen.

Perhaps why Les Twins are so  popular is that they are very beautiful physically?

Edited by WhineandCheez

I wish they wouldn't show the scores until after they all danced. I also agree with others about not understanding Fik-Shun's low scores. I'm not a big fan of that style of dance, but I thought this one was great. Enjoyed it much more than Les Twins. I also don't care for Swing Latino--I had hoped that the Miami dancers would knock them out.

On ‎07‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, Souris said:
On ‎07‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, jewel21 said:

MTE.  I don't get Les Twins.  I don't find them terribly in synch.  One is always dancing slightly ahead and more frantically than the other.  Angsty faces do not emotional dances make.

• Love 4

Les Twins always look like they are having seizures.

Why is Jenna backstage tormenting the soon-to-be-eliminated dancers with needless comments about what score is necessary to move on? I'm sure these people understand how numbers work.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dcubed said:

MTE.  I don't get Les Twins.  I don't find them terribly in synch.  One is always dancing slightly ahead and more frantically than the other.  Angsty faces do not emotional dances make.

Agree.  That pisses the kidbug (my in-house hip hop expert) off to no end too.  It's okay to have parts where you are doing different choreography, but the times they were doing the same movements they looked like two soloists dancing together not a duo.

• Love 3