Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

For the semi-finals, I hope Eva beats Diana and Kinjaz beats Swing Latino.  I think the Upper category is a closer race.  I also think that Fik-Shun was underscored and Les Twins was overscored.  However, I'm o.k. with the final two for the Upper category.   The cabaret couple didn't even listen to Derek's advice.  He told them to do more dance and less tricks.  So that's on them.  I like Fik-Shun's concept and use of props.  It doesn't seem like Les Twins had any concept.  They just danced.  But I do think they are very good dancers although I agree that they're not in sync.

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually like that they are not completely in sync in the way they move, it allows for some individuality to shine through. They are in sync with the beat and the choreography, just a bit different on how they execute each move. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of their performance.

That said, this was their weakest performance to date. Loved their other two past performances. This was Fikshun' s best performance on the show, so of course they eliminated him for it. I'm so over Keoni and Mari. I can't even enjoy their pieces because it's always very So You Think You Can Dance. I wanted an escape from that show, with this show. Can't they just dance without some over wrought story?

Edited by waving feather
On 7/27/2017 at 9:01 AM, WhineandCheez said:

Derek, when he was demonstrating a 2 second dance technique with a gesture, did more dancing in the tips of his fingers than they did.

Enough said! I am and have always been a Derek fan. I know others aren't but boy those two should have listened to him! He knows how to choreograph and has awards to prove it. Most of the time they don't even look like dancers but gymnasts. One last thought.....Fik-shun was robbed!

• Love 3

I should just add +1 to all of the above comments.

I have to say that I have not yet seen Fik-shun's season of SYTYCD and I was a little put off by one of his earlier performances when he basically indicated that he freestyled the whole thing, but this routine blew me away. I try to give Les Twins the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they bore me because they make it look so easy and their routines are technically very difficult, but at the same time, this is a performance show so they should try to engage the audience. I am rooting for Kinjaz, Eva and M&T next week.

• Love 1

I too was mystified by the low scores for Fik-Shun.  His routine was truly wonderful.  That said I do like Les Twins, and I do like Ian Eastwood and The Young Lions.  This was the toughest category for me because outside of Luka and Jennalyn (who I enjoy but it annoys me that they don't actually dance), I liked all of the competitors in this group.  I'll have to wait until the actual night to see on the groups because, while I did not like Swing Latino's first two performances, I did really like their last one sans all the glitter that gives me a headache and makes it impossible for me to concentrate on what they're doing.  Overall, though, I'm probably rooting for Kinjaz since I've liked them consistently.  In the Junior category I despise both of those twisty girls who move from pose to pose.  For me, neither one of the dances either, just like L&J.  So I really don't care which one wins.  I wouldn't have put either of them in the top 2.

On 7/27/2017 at 10:01 AM, WhineandCheez said:

Aren't they just some group off of Youtube?  He's not related to Clint Eastwood, is he?  Why do they keep highlighting him? (he is a teen heart throb, though)

As far as I understand he's the main choreographer and "brains" of the operation- the other Lions are dancers he's put together. 

Kristyn Burtt did a long interview with him a few weeks back, he comes off a little cocky in a "early 20s dude" sort of way but ultimately like a nice kid who's thoughtful about what he does.

Keioni & Mari got robbed...they are wonderful!  Such beautiful dancing, paying homage to the black&white classic movies when Fred&Ginger graced the screen.  I would pay to see a show with these 2.  Les Twins were interesting, but I would not call it dancing. 

• Love 11

I think a lot of the problem is that are committed to WORLD of Dance concept, meaning that there was no way that they were going to let the international competitors go.

This is the same reason why I think that Eva won't win.

• Love 1

I have loved the Les Twins from the start and really enjoyed their previous routines but even I thought that was not a dance routine. I know he's injured but on a purely dance form, K&M were robbed and I don't even like them that much.

Eva is amazing for her age. She will only get better from here, so I'm excited for her.

Never got the appeal of Swing Latino and I don't think I ever will.

• Love 11

I've only watched les twins on this show but I've been impressed. No way they should have moved on though. It's not even that I wouldn't call it dancing. It absolutely was. It just wasn't good enough compared the piece they were up against. 

• Love 7

I watched Eva twice. That girl has a beautiful gift, she can dance to where I hold my breath. Unbelievable! This girl, in a few years, wow. What a future she has.

I love Les Twins, and tonight was no exception ( sorry) I thought K& M were better tonight, but the body of their work hasn't thrilled me, and that's what I go by.

I love( love) Kinjaz, tonights routine was so in time, the little nuances, it was almost ethereal... hmm loved it. Latino swing looked like a big Vegas show.They have never grabbed me.

• Love 7

I wonder if the dancers have unlimited money for props & things or if they have a budget? Keone & Mari had that elevator prop & all that grayscale makeup & Diana had those giant mushrooms, and who pays for all the costumes? Swing Latino (who has too many people doing too many things at the same time) has a ton of costumes, do they pay for them themselves?

Props to Les Twins for coming up with a choreography that worked with one person in a wheelchair, but I don't think they should have won. I think the judges rewarded them for not giving up more than the dance.

• Love 5
On 2017-06-12 at 8:33 PM, SnarkyTart said:

True!  The video looked like JLo and Ne-Yo were auditioning to be back up dancers for the pros, Jenna and Derek.

You put it perfectly. Definitely two tiers of ability in that video. (But of course, I would be several dozen tiers below any of them, so I won't snark... too much. :) )

Kingaz-- bad idea--"Oh let's do a moody dance honoring our fathers in Vietnam".  NO!!!  you needed to have something showy and more energetic.  That said, Swing Latino didn't have much of anything gimmick-wise this time, just the very pretty opening flag number. They aren't winning anyway.

Keone and Mari--this was the least impressive of all their dances. Ginger and Fred is not different. And what kind of leggings and shoes was she wearing under her dress--that kept distracting me.  Les Twins Always get a somewhat artificially--high score, and this time it was a pity vote thing I think.

Diana P I disliked that dance.  I disliked the costume, the props and she's supposed to be carefree and child like but kept making ansgty faces.  Deserved about an 82.  Eva was great, natch. She's got a great future.

Edited by WhineandCheez

That was some serious fuckery.  When Swing Latino beat Kinja's, I thought "There's one less reason to watch."  When Ne-Yo gave Keone and Mari the 100, I turned to my husband and said, "They're done.  That was a vote to say 'You're so awesome, it was so close' once they give higher scores to Les Twins.  And that was what happened.  I have never understood the appeal of Les Twins but there is no flipping way they out-danced K&M.  I hope the 14 year old takes it but my guess it will be Swing Latino because that's who J Lo wants and she's the producer.  I doubt I'll watch next week.

• Love 10

This show has ended up being so disappointing after starting out so great. The blatant manipulation has been insulting to the viewer and was best summed up in one moment last night when JLo poured her Latina heart all over the endlessly, boringly repetitive manic move of Swing Latino. No way in hell they weren't making it to the finals with JLo as both producer and judge. 

Then Les Twins literally has a dancer in a wheelchair emoting and still makes it to the finals. Yeah. This viewer is out and will not be back next season. 

• Love 14

I decided to go to bed instead of watching live. Reading here, I doubt I'll even bother watching online. I don't like Swing Latino or Les Twins, so why bother. It's real possible Swing Latino will win based on JLo's partnership with them in the past. Maybe NeYo needs to hire Kinjaz to perform in his shows. And Derek needs to partner with K and M on DWTS. Maybe then judging would even up? Or not, since this is JLo's show. Oh well.

• Love 3

I think we now know why Fik-Shun seemed so sad. (Though I think he was truly taken aback at how low his scores were.) For certain, he's back to his old self on SYTYCD.

I also don't think Keone & Mari expected to score that much lower than Les Twins, even if they too suspected they were set up to lose.

Wonder how they're going to fill an entire hour with 3 acts... 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, waving feather said:

I have loved the Les Twins from the start and really enjoyed their previous routines but even I thought that was not a dance routine. I know he's injured but on a purely dance form, K&M were robbed and I don't even like them that much.

Eva is amazing for her age. She will only get better from here, so I'm excited for her.

Never got the appeal of Swing Latino and I don't think I ever will.

Agreed.  I call BS on Les Twins beating K&M.  The Twins did what they usually do with maybe more emotion but K&M are a superb dance team who have come up with innovative routines every week.  Their number last night was incredible and dancing to classic Sinatra was aces.  The duel between Pombo and Igo was no contest.  Pombo is good dancer for her age and has potential. Igo is already a great dancer whose potential is unlimited if her training continues and is intense.  She was fierce last night and her control is amazing for her age.  And the topper was the million dollar smile when her routine ended. I'm picking her for the win.  Whoever is doing or helping her with choreography deserves major props.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Keekski said:

Eva FTW, I guess? I would have much preferred K&M and Kinjaz in the finals and didn't have a strong opinion on Diana vs. Eva.

Kinjaz, K & M, and Eva would have made a finale I'd probably be excited to watch.  All of them are terrific, and, while I'd prefer Eva to win that particular matchup, I wouldn't be at all unhappy if Kinjaz won it. 

But, as Jennifer Lopez determined, we'll have Swing Latino (who bores the holy hell outta me), a seriously injured Les Twins, and  Eva (the only one left who has potential to do something epic in the finale).   I hereby pledge that if Swing Latino wins the finale, I will NOT be tuning in for a season 2, even though I love watching dancing on my TV almost more than anything. 

• Love 10

I think les twins have been the anointed winners since ep1.  I'll be shocked if swing Latino wins even with Lopez backing them.  I'll be even more shocked if hyper extended leg girl wins.  I don't know why I bother with this show.  Very disappointing?

• Love 1

Swing Latino is awful. Their routine reminded me of an Olympics opening ceremony, and not in a good way. I don't even know where to look when they are performing; it gives me a headache. Ugh. I was unfamiliar with Kinjaz prior to this show, but I absolutely adore them. They wiped the floor with Swing Latino IMO. 

K & M were fantastic. Although I do have to say their makeup which made them look greyed out was creeping me out! They definitely should have beat Les Twins, who I am still not impressed with. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 13

So nobody I like will be in the finale, good to know.

I finally got around to watching the rest of the episode and man I'm pissed. Kinjaz were unbelievable and I'm so sad they were robbed. I love M&K and their routine was lovely. Again, they were robbed. I'm mostly indifferent to Eva and Diana but I'm glad Eva won that battle.

Overall, I'm very disappointed in the the teams that are left to the point that I don't even think I want to watch the finale.

And I agree with whoever said that Swing Latino's number looked like the opening to the Olympics. They're such a frenzied mess.

• Love 3

Had to laugh at Derek's extremely insightful words of advice to Fikshun: "So, you're using this bench ... you could be on it, or over it, or under it." Thanks, I'm sure he never thought of that. Hated to see the sad look on his face when he got shafted by those insulting scores. 

I'm out for next season but I wanted to share that not only is the judging total fuckery, the three separate divisions meeting in the final are two.  It should be the three best dancer(s), no matter age or size of group.  As wonderful as Eva is and has the potential to be, she does not belong there with Kinjaz and K&M out, let alone some of the other acts. 

Keoni and Mari should be competing in the finale. They are a stellar team and I am so entertained by their choreography, story telling and how beautifully in sync they perform. How the hell did an injured Le Twins beat them? Le Twins have no business advancing to the finals. Grrrrr.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Had to laugh at Derek's extremely insightful words of advice to Fikshun: "So, you're using this bench ... you could be on it, or over it, or under it." Thanks, I'm sure he never thought of that. Hated to see the sad look on his face when he got shafted by those insulting scores. 

I was stunned by the scores for Fikshun. Nice way to kick someone to the curb. Agree.....absolutely insulting.

• Love 1

Guess I am the only one who wonders if Les Twins really had a huge injury or was the twin putting on a good act? Not saying he wasn't hurt but maybe not as badly as portrayed and they figured they could go with the sympathy vote? I love K and M's dance and it was really a dance. Make-up was seriously good for the dance but was a bit scary  on the regular stage. They surely should have won. I think that Swing Latino won because of their glitz and glamour. Kinjas were a bit subdued tonight...good but subdued and that might have done them in. Just wondering!

Les Twins routine reminded me of a routine on So You Think You Can Dance - business man walks by homeless man on floor. Only SYTYCD did it better. Any one else remember the SYTYCD routine and if it is online?

When they were talking to Diana I was happy and looking forward to her happy kid dance. Than disappointed to see the same old moody routine. I kept waiting for the music and mood to change, but no. Sigh.

Right now Eva is my favorite.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Guess I am the only one who wonders if Les Twins really had a huge injury or was the twin putting on a good act? Not saying he wasn't hurt but maybe not as badly as portrayed and they figured they could go with the sympathy vote?

I may have been mistaken but it seemed to me that he jumped out of the wheelchair and took about three giant leap steps in excitement.  Didn't look that injured to me. 

• Love 2
Just now, dcubed said:

I may have been mistaken but it seemed to me that he jumped out of the wheelchair and took about three giant leap steps in excitement.  Didn't look that injured to me. 

He hopped..

• Love 3