Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Mercy

Rowan ripping on Fitz and Olivia is this season's highlight so far. 

They have an hour to hatch a brilliant plan and they spend that time drinking wine (Cyrus and Rowan) and Fitz giving David romantic advice? Who would take romantic advice from Fitz?!? The same people who would buy Rowan's parenting book?

Oh goodie. Another speech to try to make us forget who we knew Mellie to be for four-ish seasons before they decided to reinvent her and try to change the past. Leadership? Ha. Strength? Um no.

Sorry, Olivia, but technically the military does answer to the POTUS, not the President-elect. Such an eye roll.

Hey, great idea- a President with very little experience and VP with no experience.

But seriously- it took that much time for them to come up with a plan called "arrest the bad guys?" Idiots.

I hated Rowan having a go at Fitz, but I was going to write the same thing as you, about the little side conversations when they "took five". I would have thought that Pope would want to go after the people who almost had his daughter arrested for HIS crime, but no: he just wanted Fitz to beg for help, and then to turn him down.

I hate it when any show goes into the romantic advice bits like that - or when evil villains kidnap a triangle of people, so that they can go on about the love triangle, and who the one person *really* loves (Vampire show, several years back). These people are supposed to be adult enough to run the country, and instead, we're getting Jake whining about Olivia being back with Fitz (how many times does she have to turn him down?). At least Mellie was talking about the problem, with Marcus, and they didn't make out, or argue about her dumping him for the White House. 

• Love 5

I am either very blood thirsty, or completely bored with the show.  When Olivia and Huck met with evil guy whose name I can't remember, I was thinking just kill him.  Don't waste time yapping about who isn't afraid of who, just kill him.  Then when Abby and the secret service guys were on lock down with evil woman whose name I can't remember, again, I was just kill her.  Why do you people keep threatening and yapping?  Kill them already.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, Anela said:

I wanted them to just kill the woman. They kill everyone else.

Same. I kept shouting "why don't they just shoot her?!!!" At the end. I also thought when the doors finally opened in the bomb shelter it would just be a gunshot in her face. But nope. Just Olivia making a speech. I'm glad I skipped this in live watch and watched on DVR.

• Love 2

There's just no point to this arc this season. I swear the last three episodes have gone around in circles with "we need to stop them.. how? Um.. we need a plan" and then someone gets killed or something and the plan has failed. And then we're back to "I've been here before, I remember that tree" moments. Not to mention one of those three episodes was a what if episode to be a time filler so nothing was progressed in that one either.

I fully expect us to rewatch these idiots fail at another scheme plan. And they would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for the meddling evil people! 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, deaja said:

Rowan ripping on Fitz and Olivia is this season's highlight so far. 

They have an hour to hatch a brilliant plan and they spend that time drinking wine (Cyrus and Rowan) and Fitz giving David romantic advice? Who would take romantic advice from Fitz?!? The same people who would buy Rowan's parenting book?

Oh goodie. Another speech to try to make us forget who we knew Mellie to be for four-ish seasons before they decided to reinvent her and try to change the past. Leadership? Ha. Strength? Um no.

Sorry, Olivia, but technically the military does answer to the POTUS, not the President-elect. Such an eye roll.

Hey, great idea- a President with very little experience and VP with no experience.

But seriously- it took that much time for them to come up with a plan called "arrest the bad guys?" Idiots.

Well said!

I answered the phone and missed who was the VP.  Damn it!  Who is the VP?

Does Mellie not know Rowan is responsible for her sons death? She should be trying to kill him.  

Having to watch Rowan make the father of the kid he killed beg him for help was vile. I started fast forwarding. 

• Love 2

Abby not slapping Zoe Perry's character was a huge missed opportunity.

Olivia not killing Zoe Perry's character with the infamous chair was an even bigger missed opportunity.  The door should have opened and Olivia should have entered, growling "It's chair time!"  After Zoe Perry's character was nothing but a pile of mush on the floor, Olivia could have dropped the chair and said "the chair rests."  Roll end credits.

• Love 13

I was enjoying the episode a lot until they chose Luna Vargas. Is that even possible? But I'm okay with it now because Scandal is a fantasy, and the ultimate political fantasy for someone who wants the country to change for the better would probably be Democrats and Republicans running the country together, as a team. And Shonda has now created a show in which 3 women are running the White House. This will never happen in my lifetime, so I'm going to sit back and enjoy it for however long it lasts - since I don't think Olivia will stick around as Chief of Staff. She has OPA to run and I don't see her walking away from that again.

• Love 6

What the hell did I just watch?   They go through all that set up so Rowan can call his daughter a whore.

And wtf was Olivia mad at Fitz after Rowan left?  And apologizing to Jake?  Because Rowan killed Jerry? I don't get it.

That was just horrible. I tuned back in a few weeks ago because I thought Olitz were reuniting but not sure that's worth suffering through this dreck.

And yes, that actress playing the crazy killer girl is beyond annoying.  It's not just the writing...it's her god awful delivery.

Edited by Mama No Life
  • Love 8

I actually like Quinn and Charlie (as much as any relationship on this show can be considered likeable; certainly moreso than any one in which Olivia or Fitz is a party), but we haven't been given nearly enough reason to invest in them for that makeup scene to ring true. Ergo, it's just setup for when he's (presumably) revealed to have been the mole in OPA.

Had completely forgotten who was behind the murder of Fitz and Mellie's son, which does add an extra layer of ick to the proceedings, but considering that there hasn't been an iota of fallout re: Tom's involvement in this season's shenanigans, apparently that whole thing is too far in the past to concern anybody.

I am either very blood thirsty, or completely bored with the show.  When Olivia and Huck met with evil guy whose name I can't remember, I was thinking just kill him.  Don't waste time yapping about who isn't afraid of who, just kill him.  Then when Abby and the secret service guys were on lock down with evil woman whose name I can't remember, again, I was just kill her.  Why do you people keep threatening and yapping?  Kill them already.

I wanted Cyrus to punch Papa Pope in their first scene, but I would have been happy with the stab working out too. Bloodthirsty, bored...six/half-dozen.

Unsurprisingly, I was seething most of the episode. If it were just Marcus spouting the 'Mellie is a true leader, Cyrus is awful' rhetoric, I could understand that as the biased perspective of the guy who's probably going to be back in her pants by end of season, but there was nothing in tonight's narrative to contradict it - just Cyrus making the perfectly valid point that if Mellie had conceded when he first got out of prison, before the evil collective had a chance to threaten her, none of this would be happening.

Mind you, something would still be happening - probably starting with threats to Michael and Ella - but Evil Collective wouldn't have gone to so much trouble to take him out of contention if they hadn't realized he'd be a lot more competent in nipping shit like that in the bud.

Speaking of threatened loved ones, I do hope somebody warned Luna Vargas that her young child(ren? Isn't there at least one other besides the one who has cancer and/or is in remission...can you tell I haven't re-watched anything?) will now be targeted because she accepted this position.

Back to Cy - I frankly wouldn't have been satisfied with him as VP either, because he hasn't gone this far to be second fiddle again, but I don't know what they were saying with his 'never mind, I don't want it anyway' epiphany or what they're going to do with the character now. Then again, his story is the only one I care enough to continue watching for, so I'll be half-relieved if he's killed off.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, deaja said:

They're like the gang that couldn't shoot straight.  It's pretty comical until you realize that it's not supposed to be a comedy, and that in Shonda-land, these clowns are running the country.

Whoever is playing Mellie's Chief of Staff may be a good actress, but she is horrible in this role. She's so over the top, I think she's in competition with Rowan to see who can chew the most scenery.   Cyrus too - all tear-eyed about how Frankie Vargas was the best thing that ever happened...blah, blah, blah, blah blah. 

Where is the Scandal that I used to love?  It's become a parody of itself.  

It's gotten so ridiculous that it wouldn't have surprised me at all  if the gang had decided to give the VP to Olivia...or Fitz.  Heck at this point they could have given it to Huck for as much sense as any  of the rest of it makes.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 8

This show has gotten totally ridiculous!  

• Fitz begging the man who killed his son and the president-elect for help
  • Olivia sleeping with Fitz, then Jake, then Fitz, not to mention all up in Mellie's face the whole time
  • Poppa Pope admitting to killing the president's son and the president-elect in front of a bunch of people to show how bad-ass he is
  • Mellie constantly begging Olivia for help - the woman who broke up her marriage, and pretty much caused the death of her child
  • Quinn - I love Huck, I love Charlie, I love Huck, I love Charlie
  • Defiant
  • Peus

I could go on but you get the idea.  This show has become science fiction.  It used to be kind of interesting because the situations OPM used to "fix" could actually happen.  But this BS they've got going now is so over the top, so out in left field that it's not even making sense.

I watch it so I can find opportunities to trash it - LOL!

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Anela said:

I wanted them to just kill the woman. They kill everyone else.

They should have just killed her and Peus. That would have saved them-and me-a lot of time/effort, not that I care that much anymore. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

It's gotten so ridiculous that it wouldn't have surprised me at all  if the gang had decided to give the VP to Olivia...or Fitz.  Heck at this point they could have given it to Huck for as much sense as any  of the rest of it makes.

Agree with the exception of Fitz.  Since the VP can become president a president who has run out his 8 years can't become a VP.  This is real life rules and we all know this show is anything but real life.

8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Did Shonda fire the set caterers this season?  Because there's never been so much scenery chewing as this last episode. 

[slow clap] I am awarding you the prize for the internets today.

• Love 5

They are smart enough to pull off this convoluted plan to get that chick in the bunker but they have to ask Rowan what to do next? WTHell would they ask, no beg the guy that already had his ass kicked by these people?  If he had a clue wouldn't he have used it to save his own ass?  

Now they think they are done? The stupid, it burns.

• Love 12

Because it can't be said enough, I think Zoe Perry is AWFUL!  Forget the political shenanigans, she should be shot for bad acting.  

I thought Charlie was going to kill Quinn when she got in his car.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, slade3 said:

I was enjoying the episode a lot until they chose Luna Vargas. Is that even possible? 

Yes. Mellie can pick anyone she wants as her VP, so long as they meet the two mandatory requirements, which are 1) being a natural born citizen and 2) being at least 35 years old. 

Of course in reality, and presumably in the Scandal-verse, she still needs to be approved by the Senate, as she is replacing the VP who was on the ticket and was elected by the people. And in our world, this pick would be quite contentious for a variety of reasons. But on Scandal all of that stuff doesn't matter, So she will be the VP. Unless the evil organization (do they have a name?) decide the Vargas kids should be orphans. 

And speaking of the nameless evil organization, that entire plot line would have been served much better had the writers spent some time this season defining just who they are and what they represent. Instead, we have gotten a Rashoman style look at Jake telling his wife where the bar is.  It is hard to take a measure of the threat these people supposedly represent when we know nothing about them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

They are smart enough to pull off this convoluted plan to get that chick in the bunker but they have to ask Rowan what to do next? WTHell would they ask, no beg the guy that already had his ass kicked by these people?  If he had a clue wouldn't he have used it to save his own ass?  

Now they think they are done? The stupid, it burns.

Yeah, and why not ask him when they had him hidden with the croissants? 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I am either very blood thirsty, or completely bored with the show.  When Olivia and Huck met with evil guy whose name I can't remember, I was thinking just kill him.  Don't waste time yapping about who isn't afraid of who, just kill him.  Then when Abby and the secret service guys were on lock down with evil woman whose name I can't remember, again, I was just kill her.  Why do you people keep threatening and yapping?  Kill them already.

Seriously! I keep saying part of the problem with the show is pretty much everybody has killed somebody. Olivia killed a dude in a wheelchair. With a chair. Who was no threat to her. But let's clutch our pearls when Spike & Drusilla come to take over the WH because we've never seen such cold-blooded machinations before! I can't with these people.

The only reason I can stand Rowan is because it's Joe Morton. But it's super annoying that the writers keep him working within the sewing circle. If they have to keep him alive can't they go full General Hospital and put him in a separate part of the world where he controls the weather or something? No, let's have him carbo-load while asking for his sage advice even though he's killed the loved ones of half the people in the room or turned them into assassins. 

Minor points: I know it's been six seasons but can they please stop giving Mellie crazy Anita Bryant hair? I know it's to make her appear less attractive in comparison to Olivia but enough already. Also, I think the screen shot from the recap shows crepes on the breakfast table. With powdered sugar. And now I cannot stop craving.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I know it's been six seasons but can they please stop giving Mellie crazy Anita Bryant hair? I know it's to make her appear less attractive in comparison to Olivia but enough already.

Is this true?????!!!  I hadn't heard that.  Of course (and I'm dating myself) I heard that Vivian Vance's contract stated she always had to weigh at least 20 pounds more than Lucille Ball, but I didn't know about Mellie and really-not-that-attractive-anyway Liv.

• Love 1

This is probably a stupid question, but why do evil idiots need Mellie as their front woman?

If they have the power to bring Rowan, Cyrus and Jake to heel, blackmail Rowan to kill Vargas, have Cyrus take the fall and go to prison, they can get Congress to vote the person they want in to be President, they can beat a woman to death with a golf club in front of the current President-Elect without the Secret Service doing anything or even knowing about it, and they can counteract the current President's (the guy who has the nuclear codes) whatever it is Fitz does (does he do anything besides cheat on his wife?), what the hell do they need Mellie for?

• Love 6

what the hell do they need Mellie for?

For the lulz? 

Seriously, that's all I got. 

I mean really, if they are even half as powerful as TPTB want us to believe, they could have just run their own candidate, one tailored to cater to their specific agenda, rather than horn in on someone like Smellie and her ridiculous hairdo. 

• Love 6

I liked this weeks episode for the most part. I know it doesn't make any sense, but I'm glad we finally got a violence free episode.

Then again, I'm not convinced that killing Peus or Evil Blonde would actually stop anything. Cut them down, and two other people step out of the shadows.

I know that everyone on this show is a monster, but I enjoyed watching them come together to save the republic. Also, who knew that I'd be cheering on Mellie, a character I use to hate? 

I truely thought Cyrus was going to break a wine bottle over Papa Popes head for killing Frankie. 

I'm here for the power trio of Mellie, Luna, and Olivia, despite it being  unrealistic. 

I love/hated Fitz speech about women. It was cool that he acknowledged the powerful women in his life. But I hated that he put down "headband wearing" women. Not everyone has the same ambitions, and that's ok. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

evil woman whose name I can't remember

Ruland.  Her name is Ruland.

On another note . . . wow.  They didn't waste any time taking Portia's name out of the opening titles.

3 hours ago, LeeLeePanda said:

Cut them down, and two other people step out of the shadows.

To paraphrase the old adage, if you shoot enough messengers, they'll quit bringing you bad news.  The next two that pop up get popped down, and the next two, and so forth.  Pretty soon the minions have to choose between the wrath of the Big Bad and their own career dissipation alarms. 

• Love 1

I actually yelled at Zoey Perry during one scene...you are terrible! The show has me talking to the tv.

Remember when the show was about crazy scandals that Olivia and team would solve and it was fun and interesting? Yeah me too.

• Love 10

Whoever is playing Mellie's Chief of Staff may be a good actress, but she is horrible in this role. 

"Whoever" is Zoe Perry, the daughter of Jeff Perry (Cyrus) and Laurie Metcalf 

It's gotten so ridiculous that it wouldn't have surprised me at all  if the gang had decided to give the VP to Olivia.

That's exactly what I expected to happen and I was almost disappointed that it didn't. Because of course Mellie would select her husband's former mistress as her VP.

1) being a natural born citizen and 2) being at least 35 years old.  

Is she a natural born citizen? I thought she was from Mexico or somewhere in Central or South America?

Is she a natural born citizen? I thought she was from Mexico or somewhere in Central or South America?

They haven't shown us too much of the widow Vargas, but I don't believe anything has been stated to suggest her citizenship status was any different than her late husband's. 

On 4/28/2017 at 5:19 PM, Evagirl said:

Is this true?????!!!  I hadn't heard that.  Of course (and I'm dating myself) I heard that Vivian Vance's contract stated she always had to weigh at least 20 pounds more than Lucille Ball, but I didn't know about Mellie and really-not-that-attractive-anyway Liv.

For this show it's just my own supposition b/c I've seen it done on so many other shows/movies, and of course now I cannot think of an example, but I do remember hearing about Vance! I just hate that Olivia is supposed to be perfection; while Mellie might have issues Bellamy Young is a beautiful woman.

Always wondered why the cabal wanted Mellie as President.  Was the plan all along to have Mellie be president so it could extort its way into the VP spot?  Next, kill her and then become President?  Is that what this has been about the whole time?  This whole season has been a complete mess.  This episode was nothing but filler.  It was so tedious to watch and it wasn't until the end that something happened.  "What do we do, what do we do?"  Last five minutes, solution presents itself.  Another typical Scandal episode.

Doesn't really matter that Vargas' widow is VP.  She would sail through, unless cabal kills her too, and VPs don't really do anything anyway.  Follow the president's lead, pose for photo ops, break Congress stalemate votes, and wait for the president to get taken out.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 1

I actually liked this one.  It's great to see everyone come together and outwit their common foe.  Rowan's speechifying at the beginning didn't bother me since he said a lot of things that needed to be out in the open.  And I nearly cheered when at the end Liv came in and revealed that the woman (whose name I never learned, ok, Ruland) was through with her threats.

Of course I had consumed nearly a whole bottle of wine when I watched it, so maybe that took the edge off my critical abilities.

And of course it looks like Liv and the gang will feel the consequences of their actions in the future.  My consequences will last until I take some ibuprofen.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, reggiejax said:

It is hard to take a measure of the threat these people supposedly represent when we know nothing about them.

Aren't they Russian agents?  Or at least they were going to be Russian agents until it touched a little too close to reality?

On 4/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, iheartET said:

4) I wonder why Abby dumped Leo.

To protect him?

• Love 2
On 4/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, reggiejax said:

Yes. Mellie can pick anyone she wants as her VP, so long as they meet the two mandatory requirements, which are 1) being a natural born citizen and 2) being at least 35 years old. 

Thanks!

On 4/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, iheartET said:

4) I wonder why Abby dumped Leo.

I thought Leo dumped her. Either way, I wonder what happened. She was being snippy with him in bed, but the last we saw of them, she had grabbed her clothes and stormed out of the bedroom.

23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Of course I had consumed nearly a whole bottle of wine when I watched it, so maybe that took the edge off my critical abilities.

LOL! I think drinking wine while watching the show is a smart move. I may be out of town for the 2 hour season finale, but if I'm able to watch it live, I will probably want to watch with a bottle of wine.

19 hours ago, reggiejax said:

They haven't shown us too much of the widow Vargas, but I don't believe anything has been stated to suggest her citizenship status was any different than her late husband's. 

Okay.

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to cast aspersions or make any negative assumptions about Mrs. Vargas because she's Hispanic/Latina. I thought I vaguely remembered it being mentioned early on that she wasn't born in the US, thus making the immigration issue particularly poignant for the Vargases. I might have been confusing Scandal with another show.

Doesn't really matter that Vargas' widow is VP.  She would sail through, unless cabal kills her too

Wonder if anyone bothered to tell her that she might have a target on her back too?

• Love 1

All I could think about was how does David "get it up" to have sex with his girlfriend who he now knows is a rabid killer?  You would think that the anatomy would not comply.  Also he is whispering with Jake in the other room--don't you think she would have bugged your house, David?  Sheesh.

Zoey Perry is the absolute worse actor EVER.  Cyrus had to have threatened something big to get her hired.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Zoey Perry is the absolute worse actor EVER.  Cyrus had to have threatened something big to get her hired.

His IRL wife is Scandal's Casting Director. 

• Love 2