Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E02: Scared Spitless

• Start Topic

Man Shamir must of been in a lot of pain.=0) He needed medical attention for his testicles. I don't think  I ever seen a scene like that on Amazing Race before. Hilarious.

• Love 18

I was hoping there would be some clause that since he purposely destroyed public property, they'd get disqualified. What a giant baby. 

Speaking of babies, Brooke - you don't need to try to 'keep up' when running because your elbow hurts. Scott is high strung, yes, but I'd rather be paired with him then hear her complain all the time. 

Ashton needs to get over that grudge because it was the tiniest thing.  But I'm glad she's finally appreciating her partner despite him not looking like she wanted him to. 

I'm angry about the girls leaving - it seemed it had nothing to do with them and entirely on getting on the last flight (which was a travel agent booking) and getting stuck in traffic. 

• Love 23

Well this has to be a first!  I don't think anybody has caught their junk in a harness before and cried like a baby.

He will live forever in Reality TV history.  Then he gets snippy at Phil!  Good job, bankster.

The tasks were good.  I like them different enough that players have a real choice.

Sao Paulo is incredible.  A true megacity of the future.

Nasty trick sending that team in the wrong direction.  I'm sorry to see them go.  Karma? Shamir can go any time now.

I like the 1st place team.  I still can't get their names.

• Love 7

So, that dude totally threw some shade at Production, right?  Phil was pissed at him and it wasn't because he looked upset.   I'm thinking he went on some rant about how he was endangered or something.  There was definitely something edited out.   It's a shame they stayed and the two women were eliminated.  They could have gotten better as the Race went.   This team is canon fodder that's going to implode in two episodes, tops.  And that's if he doesn't just walk.

• Love 22
Just now, Maverick said:

So, that dude totally threw some shade at Production, right?  Phil was pissed at him and it wasn't because he looked upset.   I'm thinking he went on some rant about how he was endangered or something.  There was definitely something edited out.   It's a shame they stayed and the two women were eliminated.  They could have gotten better as the Race went.   This team is canon fodder that's going to implode in two episodes, tops.  And that's if he doesn't just walk.

Also his presence harms the show like say, a Jonathan, or God help us, Flo.

• Love 6
(edited)

Bye, Jessie and Francesca.  One of the teams I liked.

Shamir damages some property, but there's no penalty? The hell? Alpha male my ass!

Samba Detour aside, I didn't like this episode.

Edited by InDueTime
Punctuation and spelling.
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Sara should have kicked him in the balls for comedy's sake.  She might be awesome, but he's hilariously awful.  Alpha male my ass.  Whiny ass cry baby.

Which is marring what seems to be a cast whose worst sin besides him is schtick.  I don't like schtick, but as sins go on this show it's pretty mild.  Even the people who were comically mismatched tried to work together and did better.

Yeah, yelling at a grandma for typing slow totally makes you an alpha male.  OR a jack ass.   I'm sure one of those is right  

• Love 21
16 minutes ago, fellini said:

Man Shamir must of been in a lot of pain.=0) He needed medical attention for his testicles. I don't think  I ever seen a scene like that on Amazing Race before. Hilarious.

Melon to face catapult comes to mind .

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, lianau said:

Melon to face catapult comes to mind .

Hell, the girl who hurt her elbow seemed like she was in actual pain (like I'm not sure we saw her move that arm much again, and that does affect your running at least somewhat) and she seems like a girly girl.

• Love 3

I totally would have picked Shamir as a partner because he spoke Spanish. I would have been totally wrong in my choice. 

I am also surprised there was no penalty for breaking the window intentionally; it was clear that was not an accident. And I'm guessing production hates him, giving the way his tiny hand cuts were on full display, along with his tantrum. I loved how they kept editing in footage of the other men, totally fine in their harnesses, while he was complaining about it.

It was cool to watch the teams figure out how to work with their partners, and hilarious to watch teams think that flipping a coin was an option when first place at something was on the line.

• Love 16

Sara lied to the Swole Sisters....but I'm not sure it caused the women to lose this leg.  However, it's one thing to outright lie and another to just avoid giving an answer, which is what most teams have done in the past.

I liked that the finishing order was pretty much turned upside down from last week.  All of the teams (except one) seem to be adjusting and working hard to share the load.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, sinycalone said:

Sara lied to the Swole Sisters....but I'm not sure it caused the women to lose this leg.  However, it's one thing to outright lie and another to just avoid giving an answer, which is what most teams have done in the past.

I liked that the finishing order was pretty much turned upside down from last week.  All of the teams (except one) seem to be adjusting and working hard to share the load.

I admired that move and thought less of the women for believing her, especially given that they knew they had the last helicopter and they only saw one other person waiting at the Roadblock.  Good on you Sara, it's too bad your partner is such a fucking twit.

RAAAAAAAAACE

• Love 4

I would have totally given Shamir a penalty for breaking the window. The point of the challenge was to make sure the window was in spotless shape. Just because "spotless and in perfect shape" wasn't part of the instructions, it doesn't mean that you can go and break windows when frustrated and get a pass on it. I admire Sara's cool headed personality, even when she had to watch Shamir go up and down five different times and had to check on his testicle boo boo. He was just whining the entire time about his testicles. I guess Wall Street is no match for a harness. Man, it's too bad that Sara's stuck with this dude. I actually really love her.

I totally smiled at Logan in his talking head when he was talking about Shamir. Logan/London are still pretty invisible, but their few moments on screen actually made me smile. Their quiet enthusiasm is nice to see.

Some of the teams that I thought were insufferable last week actually got in my good graces. Ashton/Vanck aren't a perfect team, but they got along better this week. That, and I totally smiled at them beating #TheBoys this time around. Seeing Sara point Jessie/Francesca in the wrong direction, there's a difference between doing it to save yourselves from getting eliminated (like Sara was since she was witnessing her partner throw a temper tantrum and she probably had no clue if he would be able to even finish so she wanted to stall them for time; it's not like they wouldn't know where to return to), and doing it to be assholes. Yes, it's a race. Yes, you should definitely be racing. But this show has also proven that screwing other teams over just for the hell of it can backfire easily, especially this early on. Since Matt/Redmond were not in any true danger of getting eliminated since it's clear that their first flight was several hours ahead of the very last flight, they didn't have to be dicks about screwing Vanck/Ashton over. That being said, Redmond's "second leg" joke made me chuckle.

Scott/Brooke were better this week, although still far from my favourites. I know that this show has plenty of height-based challenges so these people need to be more aware that this is what they're in for, but I totally relate to Scott. I love this show and would love to be on it (the Canadian version, for me), but I'm probably about the same level as Scott in terms of fear of heights (well, fear of falling for me). But he got over it and he managed to do quite well, even with his emotions all over the place. It sometimes takes guts to do something like that, even when you know it's a possibility. I think, for him, he probably didn't expect to be thrown in this early for a height challenge. He probably expected a little longer and hoped that his partner would do it. Speaking of, I admire Brooke powering through with her injured arm because it's very clear that she was in pain and that she couldn't use it throughout the rest of the leg, but I was getting very annoyed with her whining about it every five seconds. She must have referenced her injured arm about eight times. We get it; your arm hurts. 

Liz/Michael, from last to first. It helps that they got on the third flight. They were also much better. I guess they needed time to adjust to each other's personalities and get to know each other a bit better.

Ultimately, I don't quite have a very favourite team. I like Team Logan/London, if only for Logan shading Shamir and their one moment I think of them jumping around in excitement earlier on. I still like Seth/Olive, who are still doing quite well. I feel bad for Francesca/Jessie, who had shitty luck with their flight (judging from only the editing, which doesn't mean much, their flight seemed to be at least two or three hours behind even the fifth flight. They seemed to land just as all the teams were well on their way to the detour). Although, if Shamir had gotten the penalty, they would still be in the race. Damn. I was really rooting for these girls.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

I admired that move and thought less of the women for believing her, especially given that they knew they had the last helicopter and they only saw one other person waiting at the Roadblock.  Good on you Sara, it's too bad your partner is such a fucking twit.

RAAAAAAAAACE

Not denying the Swole Sisters were foolish to accept her answer....but Sara could have just shrugged and avoided answering.  However, Sara is now stuck racking another leg with that twit.

• Love 3

And now Shamir is off the cool list. All I can think of is Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle Of The Seasons, when crazy-ass Stephen had similar discomfort. "Oh, fuck, my nuttttts!!!" I don't want to be alone. And damn, he punched the shit out of the window.

"I'm scare shitless spitless of heights, and I was going in hoping my partner would cover for me. But since she may have broken her arm in three places (pending examination), I'll have to rappel and wash. I can do this. But I keep wondering what would happen if I throw up and the rope snaps. Would I beat the puke to the ground? Would that be my last memory?"

Plus side: Michael, Venck, and their respective partners rebound to go one-two. Michael and Liz (thanks, Wikipedia!) get a trip to Barbados. Even with S26 having happened, it still feels weird for strangers to get a trip together, even if our assumptions are correct and they could invite their friends.

Congratulations to Redmond for finishing the second leg. He's now better than Amy Purdy. Four more legs, he can beat Sarah Reinertsen. I'm talking leg amputees . . . Bethany lost an arm.

I'll have to rewatch and take notes. Not feeling the cast, but not really hating anybody that much. I feel that we could've been better off had Long Hair and Swole Sisters survived the first two legs. Minimum, they'd be on speaking terms with each other.

ETA: I like Becca & Floyd. That said, if Team Fun is found dead in a hotel room, with both of them having killed the other, I wouldn't be that surprised. I'm okay with upbeat attitudes, but they need to pace themselves.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, sportsgirl said:

And I'm guessing production hates him, giving the way his tiny hand cuts were on full display, along with his tantrum. I loved how they kept editing in footage of the other men, totally fine in their harnesses, while he was complaining about it.

Oh, production hates him for sure. I even suspect that they already hated him before the window washing task and that's why they wrapped his harness a bit tighter than needed. On a related note, I guess we now know why the show is now at 10 pm.

I didn't get the coin flipping "alliance." Was the idea that the first team to arrive would wait for  the other team and flip a coin to decide who was the first team? Why?

Edited by shura
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Mumbles said:

Yeah according to his LinkedIn he's a retail rep at an investment bank. In other words he helps people open accounts.  Hardly a master of the universe. He could be doing it in Anywhere USA but because his office is in NYC he thinks he's a Wall Street stud. Loser.

So he's the one who offers free toasters?  Master of the universe indeed.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Yeah, yelling at a grandma for typing slow totally makes you an alpha male.  OR a jack ass.   I'm sure one of those is right  

Well, Scott also referred himself as an Alpha Male and he seemed to be just fine with Slow Grandma. Or maybe Scott got lucky and had a speedster typist. Just like I'm sure all the other males got lucky because they got loose harnesses with a force field around their own testicles. 

• Love 4

I seriously thought Shamir should have been penalized for breaking the window. His attitude was just ridiculous minus his "junk injury".  As Logan said for men, harness is gonna hurt, which I'm sure it hurts for women as well but probably not as much. Guys may have to do so maneuvering of their "junk" to prevent injury.

When that guy was saying 120 or 160% Phil looks like he just plastered on a fake smile. You give them that smile and in your head you're rolling your eyes.

TheBoys should not be giving their words, in fact that's a no-no for TAR. You never give your word to another team cause 9x out of 10, they go back on it.

Team Trainwreck a.k.a. A Personalities, that girl is too much. Freaking out, falling down, crying, and injuring herself all in one leg of the race. Just spells doom. Isn't she a lawyer or at least in the legal field? If so she needs some thick skin otherwise the legal profession is gonna eat her up.

Maybe I missed something but how did TeamSwole end up on the last plane. Did they get to the travel agency last? They were in good spirits for the race and applaud them for not freaking out or worrying about being in last place. So mad respect to them for that.

TeamMom&Dad excuse the cab driver for not wanting to go over the speed limit and possibly getting pulled over or a car accident, and from what I saw, you weren't wearing seatbelts in the cab. I forgot that season where 2 teams were pulled over for speeding and had to pay the ticket at the police station wasting valuable time.

Brazil is so beautiful, it's one of the places I want to visit so badly. One of the places that's on my bucket list.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Hell, the girl who hurt her elbow seemed like she was in actual pain (like I'm not sure we saw her move that arm much again, and that does affect your running at least somewhat) and she seems like a girly girl.

She had her injured arm raised when she was running to the mat. But then she suddenly couldn't lift it when hugging her teammate or others immediately afterward. 

I can't fault her for the whining because I moan & groan every 2 minutes when I'm sick or in pain. I'll still keep doing what I'm doing, but I will moan and whine while I'm doing it. I can't help it.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, shura said:

I didn't get the coin flipping "alliance." Was the idea that the first team to arrive would wait for  the other team and flip a coin to decide who was the first team? Why?

Yeah, it was that stupid. I think Ashton said something on camera about saving their energies by not actually racing to the first location, because they'd coin flip once they were there, but the actual agreement wasn't shown, so who knows? It was silly on everyone's part; you don't need to make silly deals that don't really help you, and you don't need to go back on silly deals and put a target on yourself.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

As always, "I'm an Alpha male" is code for "I'm an asshole".

... and I don't plan on changing for anyone/anything" An excuse no matter how macho it makes you sound is still an excuse. And me to the masses that say he should have been penalized for breaking the window or as they call it in some places, Criminal Damage to Property.

I never like an episode the ends in losing a charismatic team/one with promise. So that was a downer for me.

My point about the "coinflip alliance" is that you should never give your word while knowing you'll break it. There was no point to not just tell them "Nah, let's just make it whoever gets there gets there." It's just being shifty for no reason...

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Wow, this leg was made for a team consisting of a drum major and a rock-climbing instructor, eh?

Lol, let the conspiracy theories begin!

My point about the "coinflip alliance" is that you should never give your word while knowing you'll break it. There was no point to not just tell them "Nah, let's just make it whoever gets there gets there." It's just being shifty for no reason...

Especially with unknown u-turns ahead.

• Love 6

In Shamir's defense, I might have done the same thing, minus the window punching. "Phil, I know you. You're a worldly guy. You've probably been in a harness hundreds of times. And I know that this show wouldn't skimp on protecting the contestants. This isn't Big Brother. But I felt pain in a very bad place, and I thought that they were gonna pop out and explode on the ground below. I know that when you feel pain, you fear the worst. And these were my nuts. My nuts, Phil. My nuts." On the other hand, Shamir should've gotten the windows clean faster. When did he hurt himself? If it wasn't on the first attempt, then the nut strain is on him.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

When did he hurt himself? If it wasn't on the first attempt, then the nut strain is on him.

I believe it was after his fourth, as his partner said at one point it was his fifth try and I think that was the try he finally finished.

I think Phil was probably most pissed at him for making the Race look bad in the eyes of people that allowed them to use their building for a task and ended up with a shattered window because some baby couldn't adjust his harness correctly.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

In Shamir's defense, I might have done the same thing, minus the window punching. "Phil, I know you. You're a worldly guy. You've probably been in a harness hundreds of times. And I know that this show wouldn't skimp on protecting the contestants. This isn't Big Brother. But I felt pain in a very bad place, and I thought that they were gonna pop out and explode on the ground below. I know that when you feel pain, you fear the worst. And these were my nuts. My nuts, Phil. My nuts." On the other hand, Shamir should've gotten the windows clean faster. When did he hurt himself? If it wasn't on the first attempt, then the nut strain is on him.

I get that completely because we are essentially missing a lot of moments that could help explain Shamir's state of mind and what truly went on, but since the episode is edited for time and other reasons, it does seem from Phil and Logan's comments, two people who got more information than us, as well as from Sara, he seemed to be just whining about it and it wasn't all that bad. I don't completely dislike him because he did explain to Sara that this wasn't about her and that his frustration was directed at himself. I admire that he didn't freak out at his partner. But the rest of him was very annoying. 

He hurt himself about the third attempt. He started really complaining during his second attempt and then got hurt during his third. He went into the ambulance and then I think he went up two more times. I know he had five attempts in total and the other teams were still there when he was in the ambulance and when he went back up. Jessie/Francesca came during his fourth attempt. I can't imagine that the instructors there wouldn't explain all the safety measures, including how to protect his balls. That's what they are there for, and I'm sure they asked if this was his first time in a harness. 

So when Liz and Michael won the leg, Phil specifically said they also won a trip for two to Barbados.  Er, how does that work?  Isn't it weird to award a trip for two to strangers?  Even if they end up as good friends, would they still want to go on vacation together?  If they have significant others, how would they feel?  Kind of an oddity of this concept.  Maybe I'm overthinking this and Travelocity gives them each a trip for two?

• Love 12

The teams should keep little packets of peanuts in their bags and offer some to Shamir every time they see him. "Nuts?" Yeah, the window breaking should have got a penalty.

Aw, I wanted to hug that sweet dog!

• Love 13
(edited)

As much as I like TAR, I don't think I'm going to seek out the episode online to watch whatever it was that was preempted by the news coverage. I get enough of the bickering as it is. *sigh* This season. Please don't let TAR die with a horrible gimmick season. If I can't have a bunch of regular style seasons, at least let me have one more All-Stars / Unfinished Business season.

I was really rooting for The Boys until they betrayed the other team. I find Redmond to be incredibly handsome, but that betrayal this early in the race was just mean. While I don't want teams to collude with each other (especially to hurt another team), I don't want them playing "dirty" either. Then again, if I have to listen to the other team talking about getting revenge much more, I'm going to get even more irate with that team. Redmond sort of regained my love with the second leg joke at the mat.

Sara's misdirection to the Swole Sisters was somewhat underhanded as well, but was an incredibly smart race move. She understood that the "Wuss of Wallsteet" (Thanks Rachel RSL!) was having a meltdown, and did what she had to do to save her team. If not for that, they probably would have been eliminated. The less said about whiney crybaby the better.

I'm also over the bickering among  Will and Grace. If Scott thought he could make it through the race without doing a height challenge, he was delusion even if Brooke hadn't hurt herself. While I hope it's not serious enough to affect their race, I just don't like her. 

Color me surprised that Liz and Michael won first place. After their horrid performance last episode, I was looking forward to the mercy Philimination to put them out of their misery. Well done band geeks (of which I am)! Of course, they didn't have to do any navigation or driving in a foreign country on this leg, so they probably got lucky. While Liz annoys me somewhat, I really hope Michael's beard goes far even if he himself doesn't.

Edited by Richness
  • Love 3