Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Wrong Side of the Road

Holmes' former protégé, Kitty Winter, returns to New York after a three-year absence to warn him that a killer is eliminating everyone involved with a case they worked on together in London, and they're the next targets. As Sherlock, Kitty, Joan and the NYPD join forces to find the perpetrator, Watson discovers Kitty has a life-changing secret.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
13 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Kitty removes the Mission Impossible-style mask.

Joan: Shinwell? Kitty?

Yes...the magic mask that also increases / reduces height and body mass appropriately

• Love 1

Ooh, that was... unexpected.
I am interested to see what happens with the smirking dude from the end of the episode.
And what actually happened with that poor woman who got hit and run.

P.S. The coroner acted supremely. :)

• Love 1

Kitty's appearance might have been a surprise (and the script and direction was clearly intending it) if the previouslies hadn't been almost entirely about Kitty.

I wasn't expecting a two-parter, so there's my surprise.

Agreed that you don't cast Blair Brown for a brief glimpse at a funeral and a one and done interview scene.

I loved the look on Sherlock's face when he meets Kitty's son.

The only thing I can think of that bothered me was Marcus arguing so firmly for suicide given that a) this case was all about murder made to look like something else and b) the guy was in a wheelchair which definitely makes it harder than killing yourself with a gun. It seems like they would have noticed the undisturbed (ash? dirt? I forget what Joan said) on the balcony. On the other hand, the murderer had to be pretty strong to throw the guy off of the balcony without the victim's body grazing anything.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

I wonder if Sherlock (or anyone else) thought that Kitty's kid might be Sherlock's?

Morland is the father....Kitty is working for the cabal, not rescuing sex slaves...

• Love 1

I'm quite certain that Sherlock and Kitty never had sex. Up until recently, Sherlock has only ever had sex with women that he doesn't really care about. It was a big step when he had sex with Fiona.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Plus the baby is not even at walking stage yet and Sherlock had seen Kitty in two years.

Edited by RandomMe
I can add, I swear
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm going to be very surprised if they cast Blair Brown and she has nothing to do with this.

Ha, yeah.  As soon as they sat down with her (I missed her at the funeral) I came up with this whole scenario where she was the one who killed her husband -- the first two murders really were just accidents/suicides, but she leaped at the chance to kill her husband and give herself two ways out -- if the ME ruled the apparent heart attack suspicious, the deaths of the other two would implicate the bond trader rather than her.  She made up the bit about seeing the man on the street once Sherlock asked her about seeing anyone suspicious, to lend credence to the assassin theory. She even dyes her hair! (Ok, so it's not likely she was operating the backhoe or whatever, but I was still working out the details.)  That theory went out the window in the next scene, however, when Sherlock recognized the man she described as someone he had seen previously at the club -- too big a coincidence.

So I look forward to seeing Blair Brown in the next episode.

I hope Kitty has a long, lovely life with her adorable son.

• Love 5

Elementary is still my favorite show, but this season has been sorely testing that distinction.  A 2-parter?  Government conspiracies and Sherlock being framed/incarcerated?  Kitty returns?  With a baby and a baby backstory that doesn't really fit the character?  

I'm afraid the better writers on this show may have moved on to greener pastures, and we're stuck with some discarded story ideas from previous seasons pulled out of a drawer, stuck together and filmed willy-nilly.  Also, is it just me, or has Sherlock gotten dumber the past couple of seasons?  Not only does Joan figure out about 30-40% of the "ah-ha" moments now, but even I'm beating him to the solution on occasion!  

I'm afraid Sherlock has officially dropped to "Matlock" levels of deduction at this point.

• Love 6

She could easily still be generally averse to touching from most humans in general, but have gotten comfortable enough to be ok with sex with one specific person with whom she presumably had a good relationship. Plus I bet with the scarring on her back, I can see how hugs specifically might still be unpleasant for her across the board if she feels like it's impossible for someone to hug her without touching the scars. Even if a random person wouldn't necessarily notice them through her shirt, I could see it being a bigger deal for her if she feels like it's still conspicuous. In my experience, that kind of aversion generally has its own internal logic specific to the particular trauma victim.

• Love 9

I really liked Kitty, so I'm glad to see her back. I was surprised at Gregson being so happy to see her. I wonder what was in that letter she wrote him. I feel like Sherlock is not as perceptive as usual. I thought he would've already guessed about Kitty and the baby. That was one cute and chubby baby.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, beadgirl said:

She even dyes her hair! (Ok, so it's not likely she was operating the backhoe or whatever, but I was still working out the details.)

Well, actually, now that you mention it. It's something to consider - even if it's unlikely. She had pretty much the same shade of red.

• Love 3

I was convinced the nanny had something to do with it... I don't know why, other than that there seemed to be an unusual focus on her in some of the scenes, and she did have dyed reddish hair. When she was holding Archie while Sherlock was on the phone with whatshisface towards the end, I was expecting some big reveal that didn't come.

Who was the dead guy in the picture they showed the shady ME? At first I thought they said it was the person who bribed her, but that was the red head who is clearly still alive, so...?

This was kind of a bizarre episode, and a lot of the Kitty parts seemed OOC (though I guessed as soon as I read the episode description that her "life-changing secret" would be a baby), but I really like Kitty, so this episode drew me in.

(edited)
17 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I wouldn't dream to know the psychology of someone who has been raped/tortured as horrifically as Kitty has, but seeing her aversion to "hugging" wouldn't she be averse to, ahem, making a baby?

Or Kitty went to the Piccadilly Fertility Clinic for a sperm cocktail...no intimacy required...I still think Morland is involved because Nanny Rosa Klebb was seconds away from crushing Watson's windpipe. Only the cabal would have a rolodex of nanny / FSB operatives. ETA: Kitty lives in a very fancy temporary dwelling...arranged by cabal / Morland???

Edited by paigow
Circumstantial evidence is better than none at all
  • Love 1

The Sherlock/Kitty paternal/daughter vibe continues for me. She's afraid of disappointing him, her mentor and her teacher. She's afraid to tell him that this isn't what she wants to do anymore fearing rejection. He chastises her food choices. She is nervous about him meeting the baby like bringing home a boyfriend. She introduces her baby to him as if they are all family. I never got the romantic vibe between them anymore than I do Joan and Sherlock.

The Gregson/Kitty thing is another paternal/daughter relationship. He has daughters and they did have SL where she interacted with his and he is part of the Sherlock extended family. I wasn't too surprised by his delight at seeing her.

On 2017-03-06 at 6:25 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

a lot of the Kitty parts seemed OOC (though I guessed as soon as I read the episode description that her "life-changing secret" would be a baby), but I really like Kitty, so this episode drew me in.

Yeah it was a bit off for me but the baby does explain things. She developed a lot on the show and it continued when she left. I can buy she'd engage in a romantic relationship with someone in her past pre-trauma. That was a good call by the writers since it's more believable to me than her hooking up with some new stranger.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

Elementary is still my favorite show, but this season has been sorely testing that distinction.  A 2-parter?  Government conspiracies and Sherlock being framed/incarcerated?  Kitty returns?  With a baby and a baby backstory that doesn't really fit the character?  

I'm afraid the better writers on this show may have moved on to greener pastures, and we're stuck with some discarded story ideas from previous seasons pulled out of a drawer, stuck together and filmed willy-nilly.  Also, is it just me, or has Sherlock gotten dumber the past couple of seasons?  Not only does Joan figure out about 30-40% of the "ah-ha" moments now, but even I'm beating him to the solution on occasion!  

I'm afraid Sherlock has officially dropped to "Matlock" levels of deduction at this point.

I respectfully disagree. I bought the first four seasons DVD's and are watching them now. I do not notice a noticeable drop off in the writing. True that many shows the story lines sometimes are quirky but for me the excellence of the show continues with superior acting and story lines I always find intriguing.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, beadgirl said:

Ha, yeah.  As soon as they sat down with her (I missed her at the funeral) I came up with this whole scenario where she was the one who killed her husband -- the first two murders really were just accidents/suicides, but she leaped at the chance to kill her husband

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, actually, now that you mention it. It's something to consider - even if it's unlikely. She had pretty much the same shade of red.

My thoughts, too.  Red hair? Check.  Cropped short?  Check.  I figured she murdered the first two so suspicion would fall on Kotite if the coroner couldn't be bribed.

• Love 3

The two parter ending was abrupt.  And I was expecting it to be the NSA agent in the brownstone.

I enjoyed seeing Kitty again.  I didn't like her to begin with but was very attached to her when she finished her initial run.  I still enjoy the way that she and Sherlock play off each other.

I'm starting to get used to the haircut.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

My thoughts, too.  Red hair? Check.  Cropped short?  Check.  I figured she murdered the first two so suspicion would fall on Kotite if the coroner couldn't be bribed.

The wife has no obvious motive...

What's the stuff about Shinwell at the beginning of the thread?  Confusing.

I liked this episode.  Sherlock was truly dumbstruck when he saw Archie.  And he looked very hot in his funeral suit.

I actually care about who did this, so that's a good sign. 

Blair Brown with the red hair -- and the red hair found at the cemetery - too coincidental.

I liked seeing Kitty return and am suspicious of the nanny because I recognize her from other roles.

3 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

Isn't a given that when somebody says they are quitting or retiring or getting out "right after this last case" they get killed ugly?

On cable or streaming services probably, but I can't see the show doing that to Kitty considering her arc on this show. She was a victim of assault and torture who regained empowerment and healing through her work on this show. Having her come back with a baby and the prospect of an even happier ending and then killed off would be way too dark for this show/CBS.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Plus I think, if they wanted to kill off Kitty, her first exit was the time to do it. Bring her back for what I'm guessing is just the two episodes (but maybe 3 who knows) just to do a big scary happiness tease followed by killing her off is both darker than this show/network goes, but it would also be incredibly clunky and lazy writing. She was already effectively written off and gone. The bring-back-kill-off is for actors with bad relationships with a show who storm off and are forced to come back to finish a contract and then get the hell out. It shouldn't be something writers write on purpose because they think it's remotely narratively satisfying.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Plus I think, if they wanted to kill off Kitty, her first exit was the time to do it. Bring her back for what I'm guessing is just the two episodes (but maybe 3 who knows) just to do a big scary happiness tease followed by killing her off is both darker than this show/network goes, but it would also be incredibly clunky and lazy writing. She was already effectively written off and gone. The bring-back-kill-off is for actors with bad relationships with a show who storm off and are forced to come back to finish a contract and then get the hell out. It shouldn't be something writers write on purpose because they think it's remotely narratively satisfying.

Or at the end of the first episode of a two or three episode arc. 

6 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

What's the stuff about Shinwell at the beginning of the thread?  Confusing.

People were just goofing around before the episode aired about what Kitty's secret could be.

• Love 2

Yeah, the episode was blessedly free of Shinwell and for that I am grateful. I was always confused about the purpose of Kitty - for awhile there she was sort of a substitute for Joan like she might replace her then she was just written off. I'm not overly enthused about seeing her again but if it's just a one-and-done I guess I'm OK with it. Especially if it means we're moving on from Shinwell.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Athena said:

Having her come back with a baby and the prospect of an even happier ending and then killed off would be way too dark for this show/CBS.

If Kitty gets killed and Archie lives...where is he going to end up? In the brownstone "nursery"? Maybe in the series finale, but not now.

Obviously Blair Brown is involved. Before the out-of -nowhere government conspiracy, I totally thought the red-haired culprit was related to her and that red hair just ran in her family. (Which may still be the case.) Maybe the redhead agent has nothing to do with the three murders at all. Their links to him were the wife's ID (which sounded fake to me) and his presence at the club. But they can't actually pin any of the murders on him, right? As Sherlock pointed out, he's a ghost.

Kitty is far less annoying than Shinwell to me, but I dread where this is going, especially with a baby. Why write that in? I hope it's just to write her out with a happy ending.

Kitty!  I remember when I disliked her at first, but I grew to like her as the season progressed, so I'm glad to check in on her again.  Not sure what to make of the baby reveal though.  I really don't hope it means she is going to end up getting killed, and they do some weird "Sherlock, Watson, and a Baby" thing.  Especially with the underuse of Clyde this season!

No idea what is really going on here, except that Blair Brown is so involved.  Their is absolutely no way they would cast her to be a grieving widow and just have one interview.  And they said whoever dug up her husband's grave had grey and red hair?  Yeah, it's totally her.  Either she's the killer, or this is some reason why she had to burn her husband's body.

That was a weird cliffhanger.  Sherlock just gets arrested by the agent, who he had thought was the assassin the entire time (or is he?)  At least he was wise enough to make sure Kitty didn't get near the Brownstone.

The actress playing the Obviously Lying Coroner was perfect.  I really want to see an episode that somehow gets both her and Eugene competing with one another.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Obviously Blair Brown is involved. Before the out-of -nowhere government conspiracy, I totally thought the red-haired culprit was related to her and that red hair just ran in her family.

The man at the club was hired to write out pages of am encyclopedia..

38 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

they do some weird "Sherlock, Watson, and a Baby" thing. 

Add Kitty back in:  "Three 'Tecs and a Baby"

• Love 1

I was happy to see Kitty again and hope she gets a happy end. At first I was somewhat doubtful about Lestrade's reaction to seeing her again. Watson's 'That must have been a hell of a letter' was great. But then I remembered what Kitty had done for his daughter - nice bit of continuity without spelling it out all out for the audience.

But I doubt Kitty will stay for more than one or two episodes. Ophelia Lovibond has her own show and although there's no word out about a season two I hope the CW picking up 'Hooten and the Lady' is a good sign.

Edited by MissLucas