Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

I watch CBS Sunday Morning and caught that piece. Nice to know they NEVER do re-shoots. Sounds like Phil is enjoying the charter plane! Hope this season doesn't have to sit some racers out for a week or so with COVID like Amazing Race Canada did. 

On 9/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, grawlix said:

That was nice. There might not be re-shoots, but I imagine Elise cursing up a storm over the constant schedule shuffling caused multiple takes.

”Think Survivor On Speed!” Helluva way to sell the show in 2001. Right now, I’d be great with “Imagine Big Brother, But On Angel Dust!” if it brought in new viewers. Better than constantly bringing in BB contestants.

ETA: Did we need the Jonathan flashback? Elise and Bertram should’ve  added that they don’t single out nutjobs when it comes to casting.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

There's also this.

I might be tempting fate, but I'm sure TAR will get the bad taste of Challenge USA out of our mouths, even as CBS relegates it to a late slot yet again.

No more NELs?  That's a shock.  Does that mean a shorter season overall, or just some superlegs? 

16 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

That is right. There will be no no-rest legs, mega legs, and superlegs.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that.  Phil said "if you arrive last, you will be eliminated".  But, with past mega/super legs, the "arriving last" wasn't really last, because it wasn't really the pit stop.  So I could see there still being a mega leg.  Only time will tell. 

I'm just so glad to have TAR back, I really don't care what they do.  Just Race!!!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, chaifan said:

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that.  Phil said "if you arrive last, you will be eliminated".  But, with past mega/super legs, the "arriving last" wasn't really last, because it wasn't really the pit stop.  So I could see there still being a mega leg.  Only time will tell. 

I'm just so glad to have TAR back, I really don't care what they do.  Just Race!!!

As I have said, there will be no mega legs for the 34th season.

The absence of NELs will make the issue of how to "punish" the non-eliminated moot. They have tried all manner of schemes and there has never been one that was met with universal approval.

Also, the current scheme where they have a "Speed Bump" to perform requires the design of an extra challenge which is to be performed by only one team. Designing a Speed Bump will be unnecessary if there are no NELs. Presumably simplifying game design and reducing cost. Not forgetting the cost of staffing, filming and editing the Speed Bump footage.

My personal preference for NEL punishment is no punishment at all. As god intended it was in the first seasons of the race. Normally, the last arrival in any leg is punished by elimination. I do not see why a no-punishment leg must impose a lesser-punishment. When a boxer is knocked down but saved by the bell, they don't make him fight the next round with one hand tied behind his back. Saved is saved. And non-elimination is non-elimination. But who asked me?

Anyway, the real concern I have is that the removal of the NEL  might result in fewer episodes. As of this writing, IMDb lists only six (6) episodes for S34, and Wikipedia lists only one, and a list of seven (7) other countries to be visited, the last of which is the USA. Yes, both these sites may be updated as more info comes to hand. But my real concern with regard to eliminating the NEL is the shortening seasons. Which were entirely too short to start with!

• Love 1

Having no NEL may give the producers the opportunity to show more footage. We might see more of the local areas or we might see more the teams completing challenges. Some legs could be TBC on CBS with a cliff hanger of sorts. Doesn't necessarily have to mean less episodes.

I hope the way this season is structured isn't a reflection of poor ratings or low advertiser demand.

For instance, if they could sell ads to have 2 or 3 more episodes, could they have kept the NELs?

Or maybe there are also increased costs with the airplane charters, possibly higher hotel costs for cast and crew.

Fact the they're airing the show at 10 PM may be an indication of soft ad demand.  I would imagine ad rates are less at 10 PM than they are at 8 or 9 PM?

Plus, is their audience older as reflected by the schedule and maybe not as attractive to advertisers?

Looks like their previous attempts to attract younger viewers by loading up the cast with influencers and other personalities supposedly more popular with the young didn't work out too well.

2 hours ago, aghst said:

Ugh not that I would ever watch the Love Boat reboot but if that is why they put TAR at 10 PM ...

It’s not a reboot of The Love Boat where celebrities are guest starring, it’s a reality show about finding love with the setting on a cruise ship 

Looks like next season of The Amazing Race will be back to pre-COVID stuff like booking commercial flights and use of public transportation.

Season 32 was the last pre-COVID season of the race that was filmed in November to December 2018, almost four years ago, as they will have to follow the timeline with scheduled flights may be provided.

Bye-bye CHARTER FLIGHTS.
Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Like 1

Covid will still be a risk.

IF they tell cast members not to mask on flights or buses because they want to film their facial expressions and someone catches a bad case, will TAR be liable?

Or they make people sign a liability release to TAR and CBS.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

Looks like next season of The Amazing Race will be back to pre-COVID stuff like booking commercial flights and use of public transportation.

That says nothing about "next season".  It says that they'll go back to the old booking methods when they can.  And there's no time frame for that.  It could be next season; it could be a couple more years down the line.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

perfectly fine if they stick with charters and self driving.  when this show started, there were plenty of flights available to most places.  nowadays, flights are more limited, subject to unforeseen cancelation, rebooking nightmares, and so much beyond their control.  i'd rather have the race be determined on the contestants' own navigation skills and performing at challenges, rather than airport and taxi roulette.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

nowadays, flights are more limited, subject to unforeseen cancelation, rebooking nightmares, and so much beyond their control.

Some of those risks are what made the race so tense and fun in the olden days, IMO. The winner of a race around the world should partly be determined by things like missing flights, slow trains, bus breakdowns, etc. That's what you sign up for. Those are all things that happen or can possibly happen when you travel, and there's a lot of strategy and risk/reward involved. Being chartered around the world just isn't as exciting. Again, IMO.

I hope they do get back to that at some point. Next season would be great, but I won't hold my breath!

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Hanahope said:

perfectly fine if they stick with charters and self driving.  when this show started, there were plenty of flights available to most places.  nowadays, flights are more limited, subject to unforeseen cancelation, rebooking nightmares, and so much beyond their control.  i'd rather have the race be determined on the contestants' own navigation skills and performing at challenges, rather than airport and taxi roulette.

As you say flights are much more limited now. When I flew home to the UK in 2019 from SF there were 9 or 10 flights to choose from but I was looking for the same flight in the week with the same parameters & there were no more than 3 flights and the price was more than double what I paid in 2019.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, Giuseppe said:

Some of those risks are what made the race so tense and fun in the olden days, IMO. The winner of a race around the world should partly be determined by things like missing flights, slow trains, bus breakdowns, etc. That's what you sign up for.

That's how Chip & Kim won their season.  Either they overslept or missed a flight or something but they wound up on the first flight to land ahead of Colin & Christie, that season's frontrunners.  With the charter flights, something like that couldn't happen again.

10 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

That's how Chip & Kim won their season.  Either they overslept or missed a flight or something but they wound up on the first flight to land ahead of Colin & Christie, that season's frontrunners.  With the charter flights, something like that couldn't happen again.

Yep.  Colin and Christie had an earlier flight which got delayed.  They had checked their backpacks, apparently planning not to claim them to lighten their load as they raced to the finish line.  After the delay happened, they tried to switch to the same flight as Chip and Kim but couldn't because their bags were already checked and airlines won't let people travel without their bags.  That doomed them.  Had they carried their backpacks or just discarded them before checking in for the ultimately delayed flight, they'd have been ok.

Airlines have also trimmed way back on the number of flights and I believe the race itself had to limit the airlines on which contestants could travel due to some shaky experiences with smaller airlines over the years.  That makes airport shenanigans less possible, too.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 1
On 10/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, aghst said:

Covid will still be a risk.

IF they tell cast members not to mask on flights or buses because they want to film their facial expressions and someone catches a bad case, will TAR be liable?

Or they make people sign a liability release to TAR and CBS.

I don't think CBS is all that concerned about the liability of their racers getting COVID but rather the production logistics of it.  If they lose multiple racers/production members because of a breakout, then it puts the production schedule at risk. 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, Giuseppe said:

Some of those risks are what made the race so tense and fun in the olden days, IMO. The winner of a race around the world should partly be determined by things like missing flights, slow trains, bus breakdowns, etc. That's what you sign up for.

Except the production schedule plays a part here too.  If flights are reduced and/or heavily booked, they might end up being spread apart by days rather than just hours.  That'd wreak havoc with the production schedule. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

CBS has announced its midseason schedule but TAR 35 isn't in the schedule.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/true-lies-rupaul-lingo-premieres-cbs-midseason-schedule-1235171752/

TAR 35 will be likely scheduled to air in winter 2024, part of the 2023-24 TV season schedule.

Of course. Gotta give publicity for The New Real Gilligan’s Island in Fall 2022. 🙄🙄🙄

ETA: I made that up. I also know that was a Gilligan’s Island-based reality show a long time ago. I’m just thinking CBS is capable of learning, but they don’t care what TAR fans want.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1

I'm not sure if this is the place for me to mention that it was really fun to watch Phil be a competitor, rather than a host, on Pickled, tonight, but I couldn't find a thread for the show, or the topic on the host I thought I had seen in this forum.

He was paired with Dierks Bentley and they were a formidable team! I won't mention the outcome, in case others don't want to be spoiled. All the celebrities who participated were good sports, especially considering it was over 100 degrees, Fahrenheit, on the day they played pickle ball.

(Please delete this comment if it's inappropriate.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Kindred Spirit said:

I'm not sure if this is the place for me to mention that it was really fun to watch Phil be a competitor, rather than a host, on Pickled, tonight, but I couldn't find a thread for the show, or the topic on the host I thought I had seen in this forum.

He was paired with Dierks Bentley and they were a formidable team! I won't mention the outcome, in case others don't want to be spoiled. All the celebrities who participated were good sports, especially considering it was over 100 degrees, Fahrenheit, on the day they played pickle ball.

I just googled. Thx!

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Kindred Spirit said:

Who thinks there might be Pickle Ball in Tar 36 now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2022 at 8:10 AM, Hanahope said:

I'm fine with charters too; my problem is it's a solution that theoretically would allow them to visit the sorts of places there aren't a lot of existing flights to, and yet they really aren't doing it. Like, even within the context of being limited to Europe (and Jordan), the locations have been pretty dire. If you've got access to your own plane that would allow you to go nearly anywhere within that part of the world, I don't want to see Munich for the sixth time, or France for the fourth time in five seasons. Go to like Montenegro or Slovakia or one of the Baltic states instead, you know?

Edited by SnideAsides

I'm not sure if this is the place for me to mention that it was really fun to watch Phil be a competitor, rather than a host, on Pickled, tonight, but I couldn't find a thread for the show, or the topic on the host I thought I had seen in this forum.

I watched it today. It was very fun and tonally perfect... people were actually trying to play and the humor wasn't forced. The all ages pairings also gave it some TAR flavor where everyone could participate. I would 100% watch if they did it again... as long as they didn't change anything but bringing in new players.

Funny to see Phil fall into the category of 

Spoiler

male-male athletic team who are competent but never fan favorites. I was rooting against them in both of their last two matches. I think the older players on the opposing teams just didn't have the stamina.

• Love 2

New show The Traitors on Peacock is getting rave reviews. Based on the Dutch show De Verraders three people are designated traitors and known to the viewers, the other seventeen try to figure out who they are while they all go on missions to earn money. Then one person is voted out at the end of each episode. The American twist is the cast is half regular people, half reality show veterans. One of which is Rachel Reilly, of Rachel and Brandon. Out of all the people they could have chosen from TAR....

Also, it's hosted by Alan Cummings, being his Alan Cummingsiest. 

Edited by Vermicious Knid
wrong network
  • Like 1