Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

On 2/21/2023 at 2:31 PM, ApprenticeFan said:

TAR renewed for 35th season but it will be likely to air in the fall.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/survivor-the-amazing-race-tough-as-nails-lingo-renewed-cbs-1235266732/

Well TAR season 34 aired from Sept to Dec 2022 so not unexpected.

Wondering when they filmed, was it over the winter or could they still be filming?

They could finish in June say and still have 3 months of editing and post-production, assuming they premier in early September.

Since season 35, Asia and Oceania have opened and presumably most other regions now.

So presumably they're able to circle the globe again.

But with most covid restrictions lifted, what happens if a racer tests positive?  Do they get eliminated to prevent contagion to other racers and production crew?

3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Amazing Race episodes expand to 90 minutes!

Also, definitely airing in the Fall! Fingers crossed that, since they also air Survivor in the spring, that they will also have TAR and continue the "90 min each episode so we don't have to schedule a 10/9pm Wednesday series" But that may be hoping for too much.

On 5/11/2023 at 8:48 AM, aghst said:

Well TAR season 34 aired from Sept to Dec 2022 so not unexpected.

Wondering when they filmed, was it over the winter or could they still be filming?

They could finish in June say and still have 3 months of editing and post-production, assuming they premier in early September.

Since season 35, Asia and Oceania have opened and presumably most other regions now.

So presumably they're able to circle the globe again.

But with most covid restrictions lifted, what happens if a racer tests positive?  Do they get eliminated to prevent contagion to other racers and production crew?

TAR 35 has already filmed and it will air in the fall. It's already done with production and the release date will be likely in August.

Here's the spoiler thread for TAR 35 (no elimination info only)

(edited)
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Fire 'em all and hire ChatGPT, I say!

That's part of why they're striking in the first place.

8 hours ago, aghst said:

Are reality shows truly unscripted?

"Scripting" for competitive reality is a little different, as talked about by Jeff Probst in one episode of his Survivor podcast that they've been doing this season.

The "scriptwriters" are editors.  They look at the stories of the season; not just the one of the winner(s), but of every competitor.  They find the arcs, the highlights, the setbacks, etc., that play out.  Then they select the footage that conveys those stories.

For example: in most TAR episodes, there's the moment near the end of the episode where all but 2 teams have checked in, and we're watching those two teams race to avoid last place and Philimination.  The "scriptwriter" is the editor that put together everything leading to that, including the footage of both teams talking about how they don't want to be last.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

That's part of why they're striking in the first place.

Yes, I know. Like the slide-rule makers striking about the advent of the pocket calculator. Like the typewriter makers trying to sue WordPerfect. 

Good luck to 'em!

On 5/21/2023 at 3:42 AM, SVNBob said:

"Scripting" for competitive reality is a little different, as talked about by Jeff Probst in one episode of his Survivor podcast that they've been doing this season.

The "scriptwriters" are editors.  They look at the stories of the season; not just the one of the winner(s), but of every competitor.  They find the arcs, the highlights, the setbacks, etc., that play out.  Then they select the footage that conveys those stories.

Thanks for the insight, @SVNBob.  Two questions I'm hoping you have answers for...

1. If editors are doing the writing in reality shows, are they part of this strike? 

2. Do you know if the "writing" is all post-production, or are themes/arcs developed during the race, resulting in certain questions being asked in the talking head segments, Phil making specific comments, etc?  I've always been curious about this.

12 hours ago, chaifan said:

1. If editors are doing the writing in reality shows, are they part of this strike? 

I have no idea.  I don't think they're part of the Writers' Guild, but I'm not sure.

12 hours ago, chaifan said:

2. Do you know if the "writing" is all post-production, or are themes/arcs developed during the race, resulting in certain questions being asked in the talking head segments, Phil making specific comments, etc?

AFAIK, it's a mix of both that leans more towards during-production than post-.

The events that occur naturally will typically lead to obvious TH questions or spontaneous observations and comments from Phil at the Mats.  And those can be used by the editors in building and/or reinforcing the story arcs.  For example, a team that keeps just missing out on first place at the end of a leg will typically lead to Phil commenting about that, and there's likely to be a recurring talking point about that in that team's THs.  And the story arc for that team the editors will craft will be along the lines of "will they ever make  1st, or are they destined to always be 2nd-best?"

But it is possible for the editors to craft a story that's entirely post-production.  I think there's stories of us being shown "rivalries" during a season, but when interviewed, the teams involved didn't ever think of the events during the show that way.  So the whole "rivalry" aspect was created by the writers during post-.

There's also the possibility of editors nullifying a story that actually happened.  This is the infamous Purple Edit that we talk about in Survivor.

• Like 1

Not exactly media, but yesterday's Jeopardy had a clue that might be of interest. The category in Double Jeopardy was "Nonfiction TV" and the clue was...

The final leg of this show had Derek & Claire get their Jack Daniels on (at the distillery) before winning big after 16 cities

• Like 4
On 8/3/2023 at 1:10 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

The teaser of the thirty-fifth season (thirty-sixth season to be produced and filmed a couple of months ago) is scheduled to premiere on September 27 along with Survivor 45.

Someone explain how we’re getting S36 first. I read S35 had a logistical error. Was it completed like TAR33, with a break midway through the season? Is it possible we might never see it?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Someone explain how we’re getting S36 first. I read S35 had a logistical error. Was it completed like TAR33, with a break midway through the season? Is it possible we might never see it?

I think it had to do with editing and the length of time.  They are doing 90 minutes episodes for the fall, and S35 was already edited and in the can.  S36 was either still filming or hadn't been edited yet so they could edit the episodes to 90 minutes.

• Useful 1

I'm sure it was quicker and easier to edit the newer raw footage into a longer-running season than to try to splice added footage into a completed season.  Assuming they still have additional footage from S35 to work with. 

And if they do have that footage, the season swap also allows for them to make a new, second edit of S35 that takes into account a 90-minute runtime, so they can be ready to air the season no matter which time slot CBS will want to fill in the spring.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think it had to do with editing and the length of time.  They are doing 90 minutes episodes for the fall, and S35 was already edited and in the can.  S36 was either still filming or hadn't been edited yet so they could edit the episodes to 90 minutes.

So it wasn't possible to unedit it (for lack of a better phrase) and re-do it for the ninety-minute format? Man, even when CBS throws fans the bone of more TAR each week, something still goes wrong.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I feel for the S35 winners have to wait longer for their prizes

No kidding. I think they would get the money after a certain amount of time that the finale airs.

Did anyone watch Secret Celebrity Renovations last night? Phil was doing work for a lady he grew up with as a kid, and the results were awesome. I think the main renovation guy on the show is Rob Mariano, and we got some fun chemistry between him and Phil. They said this was the first time they met since Phil eliminated Rob & Amber in TAR11. Probably untrue, but it's pretty funny to think about.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

They said this was the first time they met since Phil eliminated Rob & Amber in TAR11. Probably untrue,

Why would it be "probably untrue"? Personally, meeting Rob/Amber once would be one time too many for me!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I feel for the S35 winners have to wait longer for their prizes

It wouldn't be the first time for TAR.  Wasn't there a time in the early years when CBS was f*cking around with their time slot (which, TBH, they've never stopped) and there was more than a year between seasons? 

16 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It wouldn't be the first time for TAR.  Wasn't there a time in the early years when CBS was f*cking around with their time slot (which, TBH, they've never stopped) and there was more than a year between seasons? 

Even more recently there was Season 32, whose winners had to wait two years before the finale for their season aired.

Edited by Hera
Fixing a typo
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Why would it be "probably untrue"? Personally, meeting Rob/Amber once would be one time too many for me!

Heh. At one point, Phil referred to Rob as “Bossy Rob.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 8/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, Lantern7 said:

Sorry for the response. The 35th season being filmed last fall under COVID restrictions was already edited as a 60-minute episodes, as we would know that if they burn off or would ship completely to streaming on Paramount+ and to be branded as a spin-off from the regular TAR edition (but will still be related to TAR). 

The 36th season filmed is now season 35 under pre-COVID and no restrictions, as instance with Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance and Survivor: Kaoh Rong (but KR was filmed first before SC). There will be another TAR season is commencing casting and filming will take place in November to early December as the true 36th season will be the 37th season to be filmed, like in the upcoming 35th season, it will be a 90-minute run for the midseason on the 2023-24 TV season because of the ongoing writers' strike, will be a completely different season per the two above.

Similarly, Big Brother: Over the Top is a separate from the main edition of Big Brother between BB18 and BB19 and was aired on Paramount+.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

From the official Amazing Race Twitter:

The discussion about delays in airing a season is not in regard to this particular Race, which was actually the 36th Race run but will be the 35th season aired.

What is being delayed is the season featuring the 35th Race run, which will now be at least season 36.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, SVNBob said:

What is being delayed is the season featuring the 35th Race run, which will now be at least season 36.

I understand that the 35th Race being filmed is already edited a 60-minute episodes. There will be no plans to re-edit by 90-minutes that has being done already prior to the writers' strike.

The proposed 36th season will be designated as the 37th Race run and is set to be filmed later this fall (probably mid-November).

Edited by ApprenticeFan

I’m not watching CBS beyond Challenge USA. Is the next season of TAR being promoted at all? I see ads for Big BrotherSurvivor and Buddy Games, but nothing for TAR. It’s pretty irritating.

14 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

TAR is promoted sometimes. I'm pretty sure I saw a commercial on either Big Brother or.Challenge last night. It should be starting 9/27 after Survivor.

There were no commercials for TAR on Challenge USA. Closest thing was an ad for Paramount’s store, where you can buy TAR merch.

It’s just aggravating to see Survivor billed as (IIRC) “The Greatest Game Ever Played” and Buddy Games get almost as much promotion. TAR is going to follow Survivor on Wednesday nights. Shouldn’t we get, at minimum, Phil and some generic footage?

(I can’t remember the exact quote hyping Survivor. I know it was pretty obnoxious, especially with the series being a shell of its old self)

ETA: Short summary of Racers on Challenge USA: one of them just got eliminated, the other outted himself as a fan of “Johnny Bananas.” Seriously, it was embarrassing.

Edited by Lantern7

From the article:

Returning to the show this year: Commercial flights, the first time teams have been back racing through airport terminals since the COVID pandemic forced a switch to charter planes in the middle of Season 33.

“Right out of the gate, they’re fighting to get on the best flights,” Keoghan said. “That aspect is something that the viewers missed. I’m definitely excited to have that element back, that randomness, the ability to change up the lead. Instead of just guaranteeing them a comfortable seat on charter.”

YAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!  Cautiously optimistic for the return of an actual race around the world this time.

I feel like they started doing mostly charter flights even before the pandemic, but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, I hope this brings back some much-needed tension and excitement to the show, for me anyway. I know a lot of people did not miss the airport drama, but I sure did.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Like 2

But what would they do if a team got covid?

They can't hold up the race for them so they'd eliminate them?

Through the first half of this summer, covid rates were low -- hospitalization and deaths.

But they've started going up and there is a new variant which has the potential to have as big an impact as the original Omicron.

So they're going to have to decide what they will do.  People aren't testing as much but if a team develops symptoms, not only would there be a moral dilemma in letting racers continue but potential legal issues, knowingly letting people who are infectious board flights or be in close quarters with others.

Unless they screen other racers and crew to make sure they're not immune-compromised or something.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, aghst said:

Through the first half of this summer, covid rates were low -- hospitalization and deaths.

But they've started going up and there is a new variant which has the potential to have as big an impact as the original Omicron.

But this season, and maybe the next, are already 'in the can' whatever was going to happen has already happened. I'm sure there are protocols in place going forward that all potential racers have signed off on.

I know I'm in the minority, but for me the airport drama has always been my least favorite aspect of TAR.  OK, maybe not "always"...  in the beginning, when there were tons of flights and there were decisions to be made like "do we take the earlier flight with a connection, and hope there's no delay on the 2nd leg, or the later direct flight?" had value, and there was some mix up due to bad choices.  But that all but ended years and years ago.  I am perfectly fine with them having a charter flight or pre-arranging flights and having teams start at the new destination according to their pit stop times.  I'd rather see more self-navigation and footage from challenges than airport drama.

What I'd love to see TAR do is a no or low flights season.  All or primarily car/bus/train/boat travel, and the bulk of it self navigation.  Flights only to change continents.  I thought that would have been a good tactic for filming during covid.

But, to be truthful, it doesn't matter.  I'll watch it anyways.  Just glad it's back.

• Like 1

From Phil Keoghan's Twitter:

This has been overdue for so long, its supposed to be the 20th anniversary of the show but due to COVID it was placed on hold. Due to the writers' strike, it could be happening.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Useful 1

TV Guide says that there will be a TAR themed episode of The Price Is Right at Night on October 9th. Per the article, "Pairs compete together to snag vacations in international locales where the show has filmed over 35 seasons. And of course, Race host Phil Keoghan makes a pit stop".

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, chicagofan said:

TV Guide says that there will be a TAR themed episode of The Price Is Right at Night on October 9th. Per the article, "Pairs compete together to snag vacations in international locales where the show has filmed over 35 seasons. And of course, Race host Phil Keoghan makes a pit stop".

Hey, I'm glad for TAR to get any cross promotion it can get, but isn't it a bit of a stretch?  Over 35 years, TAR has probably been to 350 locations.  They've pretty much covered any standard vacation destination out there.  Is there anywhere in the world you'd actually want to go that TAR hasn't been to yet?  😄

3 hours ago, chaifan said:

Over 35 years, TAR has probably been to 350 locations.  They've pretty much covered any standard vacation destination out there.  Is there anywhere in the world you'd actually want to go that TAR hasn't been to yet?  😄

I think you misunderstood? I read it as they can take a trip to anywhere TAR has been, which, as you say, is a LOT of places. Sounds good to me.

TAR has been around since 2001, so that would be 22 years.

Nice that TAR is getting some promotion, though part of me is a little irritated seeing the CBS "eye" wearing a Survivor buff.

ETA: From TAR's YouTube page:

Edited by Lantern7
On 9/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, chicagofan said:

I think this is the fan-themed episode like they did a few years ago with the other CBS reality shows.  I know a few weeks ago Survivor, Big Brother, and TAR had it in their IG stories that they were looking for fans of the show to be partnered up with a contestant to win prizes (that's at least the format they did the first time).  Filming was supposed to be sometime this month I think.  

Edited by LadyChatts