Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

FYI - the same TV Guide article describes a Survivor themed Price Is Right at Night episode.

"On October 2, gregarious Drew Carey welcomes a fellow host, Survivor's Jeff Probst, who will come face to face  with a superfan-packed studio audience. At stake: big cash, sure, but also Survivor-themed prizes".

• Useful 2
On 5/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

The only thing I don't like about this scenario is that it means TAR starts at the 30 minute mark rather than on the hour, and may lose some viewers because of that. 

Well it seems it might gain some since it follows directly after Survivor which has obviously got the big ratings to be a good lead-in.  Being halfway into the hour after Survivor means that other shows are halfway over but TAR is just starting so stick with TAR.

On 8/31/2023 at 12:34 PM, aghst said:

But what would they do if a team got covid?

Like Fukui San said, it already happened and the team was eliminated.

On 9/19/2023 at 2:32 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

From Phil Keoghan's Twitter:

CBS has a diversity rule in place so half the winners would have to be non-whites.  And though white Hispanics qualify as non-whites in this loopy world where a language/cultural group gets mixed in with racial groups, still I don't know if there are enough non-white winners.  After all for years there was only one token Black team each season except Season 2 where there were two.

It's actually amazing given the tokenism that 2 Black teams won in the first 7 years of the show.  But that was so long ago I kind of doubt they would come back.  Chip & Kim would  be 60-somethings now maybe?

I know there have been some Asian winners but I don't know all the winners and if there are enough to fill out half the field.  My memory is really foggy about winners after the first All Stars (Season 11).  I just gave up remembering stuff like that at that time.

Edited by Skooma
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've watched all the seasons.  I know I have.  Yet I have no specific recollection of a lot of those winners.

Currently rewatching all the seasons on Paramount+. Started watching Season 2, recognized one team (Danny & Oswald), thought the name of another team sounded familiar (Will & Tara) and ... that's it! Not one other team from that season seemed familiar (granted, it had been 20 years since I had seen it). Up to season 19...few teams I recognize. So, most of the contestants/winners are generally unremarkable. It does make it seem as if I'm watching a brand new season however.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Skooma said:

After all for years there was only one token Black team each season except Season 2 where there were two.

Not exactly. I mean, season one had two black teams in Lenny/Karyn and Frank/Margarita. Season 3 had Tramel and Talicia and Andre and Damon. But your basic point is valid.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Not exactly. I mean, season one had two black teams in Lenny/Karyn and Frank/Margarita. Season 3 had Tramel and Talicia and Andre and Damon. But your basic point is valid.

Yes I am losing it.  You are totally correct.

5 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Just a reminder - the TAR themed The Price Is Right at Night is supposed to be on tonight. 

Saw it. Enjoyed it more than the Survivor edition from last week. That's probably mostly due to my bias. Phil was there, eliminating the duos that struck out on the Big Wheel (or whatever it's called). I'm tickled the grand prize winners wound up with three trips instead of a new car. Australia, Vietnam and France . . . . helluva itinerary, even if they are separate trips.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Phil was there, eliminating the duos that struck out on the Big Wheel (or whatever it's called).

That's the actual Showcase Showdown.

The winners that ended up with the trips needed to get to within $250 to win the car.  Their bid qualified & was pretty good (enough to win their own showcase), but not close enough.

The people that ended up bidding on the showcase with the car were within $250, but on the wrong side of it.

I actually enjoyed the Survivor episode more, but that was mainly due to the fact that the episode turned rather depressing toward the second half due to the outcomes.  More important, the advantages for Survivor factored into a couple of their pricing games, whereas the Express Pass & other TAR elements did not.

Still great to see Phil there.  Can't believe they didn't play "Race Game" as that was what I would've expected for sure

Edited by Carey
Portions of my post showed up twice
34 minutes ago, Carey said:

Can't believe they didn't play "Race Game" as that was what I would've expected for sure

At least they did do Rat Race -- and I was yelling at them to pick the blue mouse! 

I also thought it was a little rude of the one team to just walk off and not be Philiminated.  When I think of all the people who used to line up at TARCons to be Philiminated...

Parade is once again publishing interviews with the eliminated teams. 

'The Amazing Race 35's Alexandra and Sheridan Lichtor Break Down Their Dance Detour Decision

Sheridan: I think it was entertaining! The thing that kind of was our undoing was picking the sword dancing, and I guess not picking the massage. We didn't know, though. At the time, in that moment, we made the choice that was the right decision for us. We thought it was the right decision. We didn't know how long the massage would be.
Alexandra: And I know this wasn't your question, but, obviously, on the additional information, there was mention of the massage, "There's five stalls. If you don't make it through, you've got to give up your stall." And I just had this vision of potentially needing to start over and then I gotta give up my spot. The sword dance could be quick. And I think from my read and from how we are and what we're good a--which is certainly not dancing, especially me [Laughs.]--I truly thought it was the right choice and the right time...

Alexandra: I have to say as I was doing that dance, and I couldn't. It was really hot, and there were all the cameras. And I was like, "Oh my god, we're gonna be the first eliminated on The Amazing Race." My mind was just racing. I did have this thought of, "You know what, though? While obviously it's not what we wanted, at least we're doing like a truly classic Amazing Race activity. We've got costumes, we've got music, we've got a dance."
Sheridan: They did not show how sweaty we were.
Alexandra: Which I'm grateful for.

'The Amazing Race 35's Elizabeth and Iliana Rivera Talk Getting out of "Mom Mode" and Becoming Best Friends

I find it so interesting that, in Leg 1, you chose not to swap Detours, and it saved you. Here, you get dropped off at the market by accident, choose not to swap, and you get eliminated because of it. Talk to me about that choice.

Iliana: We got dropped off at the market. And to be honest, if we didn't see Andrea and Malaina, I wouldn't even have known that we were at the market. I would have been looking for the pomelo still; I'd be looking for the boat. But the fact that we saw a team there, I was like, "Okay, we're at the market." I don't know where the miscommunication was. Maybe I pointed at the wrong one, but he dropped us off the market. And then we saw them there. And I was like, "Okay, this is good that there's a team here." We started at the same time, and I was like, "Okay, we need to do this. We can't waste time, and they'll find everything."
Elizabeth: And this is where Mama mode kicked in. Because I knew we were at the market. [Laughs.]
Iliana: I was like, "The boat's around here somewhere! They're here!"
Elizabeth: She kept saying the pomelos were all the way in the back. So to appease her, for about a minute, we ran around the back. I'm like, "Yeah, there's no boats here. We have to do the market." And she's like, "This is not the market." I said, "Iliana, let's go. This is the market!" It was so funny. Sometimes I had to reel her in.

24 minutes ago, Carey said:

The Amazing Race Returns In March 2024

Basically the same structure that we have now.  90 minute episodes following 90-minute Survivor (which returns 2 weeks earlier with 120-minute episodes for its first 2 weeks of their latest season)

Just so I’m clear . . . is this the season we were supposed to get before the 90-minute episodes became a thing? Or is this another new season?

From the article linked above:

Sources confirm that the season airing in the spring is actually the 35th season that filmed back in 2022. Airing of the season was swapped with the one that filmed right after it, due to the latter being produced with 90-minute episodes in mind.

I guess they took the time to re-edit the 60 minute episodes into 90 minute episodes, as there will still be some scheduling holes to fill in regular programming by spring.

So the silver lining to the actors/writers strikes is that we get supersized episodes of TAR.  I'll take it.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

At least season 37 has finished applications and casting will begin in first week of December and will be lasted in the last week of January for the finals. Filming will not begin in last week of February and to conclude in mid-March shortly after the airing of season 36 (aka the original season 35).

Edited by ApprenticeFan

Also from that article:

The Amazing Race 36 will allegedly feature a route primarily in central and South America and the Caribbean, and will likely not feature the return of past twists like the U-Turn and Express Pass that we have seen on this current season.

Not the Fields😩

Why are they ruining my show with these two?! I liked Cirie on Survivor and Traitors, Snake was rubbish and they ruined Big Brother 25 for me. Please let this not happen 🙏 I know TAR cannot be run from a couch, Cirie and I just don’t want her misogynistic son on my tv screen again. 

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1

Was Doctor Who Acting Shade-y? Are Reindeer Games Kinda Great? Can Someone Please Stream Homicide Already? And More TV Qs
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KIMBERLY ROOTS, DAVE NEMETZ, REBECCA IANNUCCI, RYAN SCHWARTZ, NICK CARUSO   DECEMBER 15, 2023
https://tvline.com/features/doctor-who-special-toymaker-marionette-show-steve-moffat-companions-1235098494/ 

11 | Which Amazing Race challenge was more stressful to watch: Rob struggling on the trapeze bar or brothers Greg and John breaking glass after glass? And has there ever been a more likable Final 3 in the history of the Race? Which pair were you rooting for? 

Phil was the delightful guest on the Dec. 12 episode of the delightful Family Trips with the Meyers Brothers podcast. He's so fascinating...definitely a candidate for the Most Interesting Man in the World with all of his stories and travels and adventures. Well worth the listen, and the recap song at the end is perfect and hilarious!

• Like 5
(edited)

The next season of The Amazing Race will be a month away from now and I had already decided to leave the show started last month temporarily for half a year. I will return in August for the another new season of the Race.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
On 2/8/2024 at 8:09 AM, SVNBob said:

They've announced one team for the upcoming season.  And it's obvious why they've chosen this team as the first to announce.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-kansas-city-chiefs-player-wife-become-first-members-of-the-amazing-race-2024-cast/

1 minute ago, illdoc said:

I'm sure we will like some teams, not so much others, as in every season.

Just happy that we're getting two TAR seasons without one year.

• Like 3
On 2/21/2024 at 4:01 PM, illdoc said:

I'm rooting for Kishori & Karishma.  Why, you ask?  Because they are two women with long hair that are also wearing scrunchies on their wrists.  As a woman who has had long (mid-back length) hair for 1/2 of her life, I hate seeing women (or men) with long hair try and compete on this show without tying their hair back.  They're prepared to compete, not just care about how their hair looks.  That's my in-depth pre-game analysis.  I may change my mind, probably will, but that's where I'm starting from.  It's a good a reason as any, right?  😁

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Wednesday Ratings: Survivor and Abbott Rise, Amazing Race Returns Bigger
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MARCH 14, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/the-amazing-race-season-36-premiere-viewers-cbs-1235188211/ 

CBS | Survivor (with 4.6 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating) ticked up in both measures; read recap. The Amazing Race‘s Season 36 premiere (2.8 mil/0.4) was up 7% in audience from its previous premiere and steady in the demo; TVLine readers gave TAR‘s return an average grade of “B+.”

• Like 2
(edited)

The Amazing Race’s Chris and Mary Explain Why They Really Needed a Break: ‘My Jaw Dropped’ (Exclusive)
By Sara Donnellan  March 21, 2024
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-amazing-races-chris-and-mary-explain-why-they-really-took-a-break/ 

“I was heading up to the bridge and all of a sudden, both of my calf muscles started cramping up,” Chris, 60, exclusively told Us Weekly on Thursday, March 21, one day after he and his daughter, Mary Cardona-Foster, were eliminated from the CBS series.

“My jaw dropped. I was like, ‘Is this really happening?’” Mary, 27, added of the stressful moment.

While the Wednesday, March 20, episode didn’t show Chris getting a muscle cramp, it did include a scene where he felt nauseous and asked Mary to rest for a few minutes.
“I hope Mary gets to do a redemption season with somebody closer to her age. I really think that she is in tip top shape and could do a lot better,” he said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

'The Amazing Race 36's Anthony and Bailey Smith Talk Their Detour-Switching Disaster
MIKE BLOOM   MAR 28, 2024
https://parade.com/tv/the-amazing-race-36-anthony-bailey-smith-eliminated-interview 

In general, it seems like you guys struggled with navigation, most prominently in getting completely lost on the way to the Pit Stop in last week's episode. Was there a common denominator in your directional difficulties?
Bailey: I think for sure, just the navigation in general. In life, I'm so used to just typing everything in on my phone. We couldn't read any of the signs. Our Spanish is horrible. Everything about it was like setting us up for failure. [Laughs.]
Anthony: To answer your question, yeah, navigation, I don't know if it was one specific thing. It was just our navigation the entire time.
Bailey: It all added up.
Anthony: Yeah, I think it was just time and time just kept catching up to us.

Now, we need to get into this Detour, which you end up swapping choices in an unprecedented three times. Talk to me what was going through your head as you were making those back-and-forth decisions.
Anthony: The indecisiveness came from we had a pact going into it. If there's any mental challenge or physical one, we'll just jump on the physical. And I think the physical challenge with those those Willys actually ended up being a little more mental than physical. With the order and just where to stack things. 
Bailey: I mean, it looked crazy. I think there's a reason why all the other teams did go the other direction. So then we do that. And then we pull up, and we're like, "Okay, this is insane, dude. Let's get out of here. Now let's go to cooking while everyone else is still there." We go, and everything's in Spanish. I'm trying to read; I don't know what any of these words say. And I'm like, "Is it going to take us longer just to like translate and figure out what like what the heck any of this stuff is, or just go back to  something we kind of already had the idea for?" We go back again. We're like, "Okay, this is actually still as crazy as it was the first time. There's still no way we're doing this. Maybe we can catch Double Dutch. They're still cooking. They're still on pace."
Anthony: And when we saw everyone cooking, they looked a lot more relaxed than we did try to figure out those Jeeps. So we figured maybe there's some truth behind that that is not as chaotic as that one. Again, like he said, when we got there, all the instructions were in Spanish. And, we were like, "Hey, maybe we'll throw the dish together."
Bailey: There's no YouTube, bro! You can't even look it up, man. [Laughs.] And that's how I cook at home.
Anthony: Our heads started spinning. When we saw the Spanish instructions we're "Well, the Willys, you just look at it and replace it. So maybe we're better off doing that."
Bailey: In the moment. It felt like it made sense. But watching it back last night was like pulling teeth. [Laughs.]
Anthony: [Laughs.] Yeah, it was hard watching it again.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Amazing Race - Those Who Wander Are Not Lost (Sneak Peek 1)
The Amazing Race   Mar 29, 2024

Amazing Race - Those Who Wander Are Not Lost (Sneak Peek 2)
The Amazing Race   Mar 29, 2024

• Like 1

The Amazing Race - Save the Stress for Later (Sneak Peek 1)
CBS   Apr 9, 2024

The Amazing Race - Save the Stress for Later (Sneak Peek 2)
CBS   Apr 9, 2024

(edited)

Teams Get Heated in Chile! Who Went Home on 'The Amazing Race 36' Tonight?
MIKE BLOOM   APR 10, 2024
https://parade.com/tv/who-went-home-amazing-race-season-36-week-5-2024 

The Amazing Race’s Kishori Reveals Karishma Took ‘Over 4 Hours’ on Skateboard Roadblock (Exclusive)
By Sara Donnellan  April 11, 2024
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-amazing-races-kishori-says-karishma-took-4-hours-on-roadblock/

Edited by tv echo
  • Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

Teams Get Heated in Chile! Who Went Home on 'The Amazing Race 36' Tonight?
MIKE BLOOM   APR 10, 2024
https://parade.com/tv/who-went-home-amazing-race-season-36-week-5-2024 

The Amazing Race’s Kishori Reveals Karishma Took ‘Over 4 Hours’ on Skateboard Roadblock (Exclusive)
By Sara Donnellan  April 11, 2024
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-amazing-races-kishori-says-karishma-took-4-hours-on-roadblock/

How in the world did that skateboard roadblock take anyone 4 hours????????????

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

How in the world did that skateboard roadblock take anyone 4 hours?

She didn't know a bolt from a nut. 

In case anyone else is unsure, the long, skinny things aren't the nuts. The round things are the nuts.

(edited)

'The Amazing Race 36's Kishori Turner and Karishma Cordero Reveal Unseen Alliances
MIKE BLOOM    APRIL 12, 2024
https://parade.com/tv/the-amazing-race-36-kishori-turner-karishma-cordero-eliminated-interview 

We saw briefly in Colombia you work with Angie and Danny, and Derek and Shelisa help you identify the meats during the cooking challenge. As the season has focused lately on teams helping each other, did you have those sorts of arrangements with other teams as well?
Karishma: Oh, yes. 100% We had many alliances throughout the race that weren't showed. Juan and shane, them helping us in Mexico when we went to the wrong challenge and when we got it backwards, they were somebody we felt really close with. And then Derek and Shelisa, I'd say we're probably our closest allies are the whole race. In Colombia, Shelisa and I did that puzzle together. It just wasn't shown. We did that entire puzzle together. And there's a scene where I'm running around. Shelisa's crying because I'm running around memorizing the statues. I wasn't there at the time, but Kishori told me afterwards. She was saying, "Karishma, Karishma!" Because she got a check, and because she got the check, they closed it and they wouldn't let me see it. And we were working together the entire time.
Kishori: Yeah, it was surprising how that was edited. I was surprised they didn't show that. Because it was a huge shamanic moment. Like she was literally crying, calling out for Karishma basically. Because they were working together to help her. And they had been tag teaming. And the guy literally closed the blinds.
Karishma: Because she got her check. And I wasn't there. And so that was interesting. Because we worked really close with them. I would say that was probably our biggest alliances throughout the race. And on the skateboard challenge, I worked with Derek. Derek was telling me how to use the tools. He was helping me out a lot during that challenge. We love them so much. We call them "Race Mom and Dad."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, tv echo said:

We had many alliances throughout the race that weren't showed.

With one exception, it sounds like their "alliances" were where other teams were helping them.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The Amazing Race - Our Alliance Strikes Again (Sneak Peek 1)
The Amazing Race   Apr 15, 2024

The Amazing Race - Our Alliance Strikes Again (Sneak Peek 2)
The Amazing Race   Apr 15, 2024