Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Tough As Nails also got renewed, so Phil’s gonna be busy this year.

How were the ratings for TAR33? Maybe CBS can air the next season sooner rather than later.

I suspect that the route right now would be weird because of COVID. Lots of places are closed and others are might not be deemed safe.

My God! TAR (my former favorite TV show) has renewed and it will be back to normal that will be utilized to use the original TAR 33 route for production.

I will miss this show for good and Good Luck for the next season.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

https://theholdernessfamily.com/amazing-race-family-raquel-cayla/?fbclid=IwAR1fO2fwzwBu6vQNa4XaaQKQCC9eKBAqwiLjZ8yxhYcBLPh2SkyGWAItPfU

Kim and Penn talk to Cayla and Raquel. 

Scotland info: Cayla was so distressed with driving in Scotland she didn't do the bagpipe task.  Kim and Penn memorized their credit card numbers and bought booze for everyone on the cast at a bar in Scotland. Penn hit a beer truck in Scotland and knocked off it's mirror. Kim and Penn got directions for a women at her house whose dog had just died and let them in her house to use her dial up internet connection. 

They had a "secret" call out to each other, a crow sound. Ka Kaw in order to get their attention if they wanted to talk. Cayla threw an apple at Kim and Penn's window in order to get crossword puzzle help. She hit the producers window a few times which confused him a lot. 

The Producers give a lot of information to teams when they check in. Kim and Penn heard about Raquel's souvlaki eating skills from production. Everyone was in awe. Cayla doesn't like mustard so she was eating super slow. Think Lulu and Lala's response to the onions, that was Cayla and mustard except that Raquel just downed the sandwich.

They discussed the mocking of the life vest rip off and the greeter. 

• Love 3

I would think TAR will keep the charter airplane and just use that from now on.  it cuts down on 'airport drama' but i'd rather see more of the countries and tasks anyway.  and with all that has happened, and is still happening, its probably best not to have to worry about flights and all the unexpected that could happen with them.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I would think TAR will keep the charter airplane and just use that from now on.

This season, I don't know that they would have had any choice. Subsequent seasons, the difference between the cost of the charter and the cost of individual tickets for cast & crew will tell.

I do wonder what they will do with eliminated teams going forward if they do have a charter plane. 

Will they ship them to the resort on a commercial flight? Or will they travel with the racers, and maybe around the halfway point the charter plane will have a stopover to drop teams off at the Elimination Resort. 

13 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

This season, I don't know that they would have had any choice. Subsequent seasons, the difference between the cost of the charter and the cost of individual tickets for cast & crew will tell.

I am guessing it would be cheaper to charter the plane then pay commercial. They have all of their gear and the production crew in one spot on one plane. Given the size of the team they are bringing places, economies of scale makes me think the charter would be less expensive.

1 minute ago, Taeolas said:

I do wonder what they will do with eliminated teams going forward if they do have a charter plane. 

Will they ship them to the resort on a commercial flight? Or will they travel with the racers, and maybe around the halfway point the charter plane will have a stopover to drop teams off at the Elimination Resort. 

This season, they sent the contestants home on commercial flights. Lulu and Lala were discussing how it was a step down from the Amazing Race plane. I would guess that they would use commercial planes to get the teams to sequester. Maybe aim for sequester to be in the final city before returning to the US so they can fly the losing teams back to the US on the charter.

This will take a little effort to explain.

You guys know The Challenge, right? Ongoing reality show-slash-soap opera with fighting, fucking and the occasional competition? Well, there’s going to be a global edition of the show: War of the Worlds. Here in the US (and I’m assuming Canada), we will be getting the American round on Paramount+.It’s going to feature folks who starred on CBS reality series. Also, the only cast carryover from the traditional series is host TJ Lavin.

Today, the cast was leaked. The list includes alternates, and there’s no word on who will be stuck in that role. In relation to TAR, there will be three past contestants, all from recent seasons: Leo Temory (one-half of the Afghanimals), James Wallington (won TAR32 with life partner Will) and Cayla Lee (finished runner-up with fellow flight attendant Raquel in TAR33). Not bad. I thought it was just James. Naturally, most of the other CBS shows get more representation (except Tough As Nails, and that might be for the best) but that also means less potential to shame TAR.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I don't mind the charter, but I wish they would keep the actual intervals of arrival instead of just 15 minute separations.

Who knows what they will end up doing. The intervals was COVID related and seemed to do a fine job of keeping the teams in front in front.

I liked that there were no hours of operations bunch ups and airport/travel drama.  It felt more like teams that were ahead were allowed to be ahead. If they screwed up and fell back, it was on them. But teams at the back were less likely to catch up because of planned bunching.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I liked that there were no hours of operations bunch ups and airport/travel drama.  It felt more like teams that were ahead were allowed to be ahead. If they screwed up and fell back, it was on them. But teams at the back were less likely to catch up because of planned bunching.  

But it seems like it can be done.  One leg the  twins were in a late group and ended up second; once the guys were in last and ended up third.

https://theholdernessfamily.com/the-amazing-twins-of-the-amazing-race/?fbclid=IwAR3CjQH9tz5-h3hCH2PwsbS0kKkkhvqye8iwu3w1oMnWdwv5Sc4U5OxlXgA

Kim and Penn interview with Lulu and Lala

Lulu has a dimple on her face that Lala doesn't have. Lulu is 20 minutes older.

It is a fun interview but they don't discuss the Race much. 

Arun and Natalia got their finale recap up.

They said that they painted the line that they had to on their doorknob but that their door knob was outside of the lines for the color by number. Natalia said she actually asked about painting the door knob and was told no. The issue for Dusty and Ryan was that their door knob was in the to be painted zone. 

LOL Natalia wants to know how they would do on a season without self navigation and the lack of hour of operations tasks so that they were not always in the back. She wanted more equalizers. 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, ProfCrash said:

This season, they sent the contestants home on commercial flights. Lulu and Lala were discussing how it was a step down from the Amazing Race plane. I would guess that they would use commercial planes to get the teams to sequester. Maybe aim for sequester to be in the final city before returning to the US so they can fly the losing teams back to the US on the charter.

The sequester of this season was in Madeira Island in Portugal prior to COVID shutdown in 2020 as Michael & Moe and Arun & Natalia were present at the elimination villa, when it restarted last September, they sent home to the US after getting eliminated.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
On 3/11/2022 at 5:19 PM, ProfCrash said:

20 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

The sequester of this season was in Madeira Island in Portugal prior to COVID shutdown in 2020 as Michael & Moe and Arun & Natalia were present at the elimination villa, when it restarted last September, they sent home to the US after getting eliminated.

I guess they didn't care if you got COVID going home, as long as you didn't bring it to the race? 

38 minutes ago, topanga said:

I guess they didn't care if you got COVID going home, as long as you didn't bring it to the race? 

They were tested regularly and they had to wear masks on the plane. I have yet to see any reports of COVID outbreaks from plane flights and there were not that many people flying when the restarted the race. I think it was fine. They probably didn't set up a sequester house because of how few teams it was going to be and how quickly it was going to go. It was 3 teams. I suppose they could have had those teams fly every where with the Race Teams and hang out at the hotels but that would have been more expensive and kind of sucky. 

• Love 1

I thought that at a certain point, maybe with 5 or so teams left, the eliminated teams kept running the race as decoy teams.  I know I read that in one of the earlier seasons.  Was that actually a thing, and if so, did they stop doing it at a certain point?

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I thought that at a certain point, maybe with 5 or so teams left, the eliminated teams kept running the race as decoy teams.  I know I read that in one of the earlier seasons.  Was that actually a thing, and if so, did they stop doing it at a certain point?

I thought the fourth team out did but that might have changed this year since it would be other people to deal with COVID protocols. 

With the TAR Plane and the isolated race locations and controlled start/stop spots with minimal public interactions, and with COVID restrictions, they probably skipped decoy teams this time. There would just be fewer spots for random people to spot teams and let out spoilers. 

Even on the LA leg, only the tower was somewhat 'public' and maybe they had some of the other eliminated teams there as decoys. The Pinata and Foley and Stadium locations were all isolated and closed to the public it seemed. 

So is there any kind of indication on when they will film and when they will try to air season 34?

Maybe they're trying to film now, though cases have eased in the US, cases in Europe are going back up and US may follow.

OTOH, more and more countries are opening up, including some Asian countries.

Chances are situation will be better in the summer but then those are peak months so busy in all the places they could visit.  Have they ever filmed in high season, middle of summer?  Not just bigger crowds but the heat may make racing unpleasant.

If they wait towards the end of the year, they may run into another winter wave.  I think they just avoided the Omicron wave when they re-started season 33?

Whatever Penn brought/packed, she probably had half of it tossed before the end of the first relaunch leg; and chewed him out off camera for bringing/not bringing other stuff. :) 

6 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

Whatever Penn brought/packed, she probably had half of it tossed before the end of the first relaunch leg; and chewed him out off camera for bringing/not bringing other stuff. :) 

Probably. Or he left it at the airport. That happened on a trip the family took before the finale. Penn left his carry on, with all of his clothes, at the airport. He didn't realize it until they landed. 

• LOL 1

https://theholdernessfamily.com/the-amazing-race-recap-its-phil/?fbclid=IwAR01vQYiSZSaKrQorJmnBwteTaTowuiCiw7RfRML5a14zSUP_fmLDjJx1Is

Penn and Kim interview Phil for about an hour. 

They discuss the COVID shut down. Phil knew some teams wouldn't return and he thought that it was not going to be as long as it was. He also worried that they were over reacting but certain that they would be back.

He talks about the airport drama being lost. He likes the Charter Plane and it sounds like he wants it to stay. The issue with the Charter is that it is really expensive and he doesn't think it is sustainable. It sounds like he liked the staggered start times and they think the audience liked the staggered start time. 

Phil says he sucks at Instagram, Penn and Kim were giving him advice on how to run that during the race. Phil doesn't like that medium. 

Phil talks about the behind the scene stuff and casting and the like.

Penn's envelop moment was in the Top 10 or dumbest moments. 

Phil said they were on the full spectrum of great moments and stupid moments. 

The Production team take bets on who is going to win the Race. The bet is $1 so not exactly high stakes. 

On why no speed bumps, express passes, and fast forwards: Phil likes the more simple show. They all skip over that there were speed bumps that we were not shown. He was happy to not have them this season. 

Penn comments that the Racers were all anxious about the U-Turn and Phil said "Good", I think he liked that people were worried about it even though it wasn't there. 

Season 5 of Tough of Nails was picked up, and he mentions Amazing Race season 34. 

Phil has a Ukraine travel story. He was held over night at the airport because NZ citizens don't need a visa but there was some confusion over that. He barely made it to the pit stop to greet the teams. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I saw. I’m hoping for the best from this situation.

Has TAR34 filmed yet? Still in the works? If there are four months until the projected season premiere, a lot of stuff could happen in that period.

The Challenge: USA airing on CBS is a spinoff of MTV's The Challenge, starring people from their reality shows. Three contestants from TAR; Cayla Platt (The Amazing Race 33), Leo Temory (The Amazing Race 23, 24, 31), James Wallington (The Amazing Race 32 winner).

Upon arrival, the players are given $1,000 to start their individual challenge accounts, and must battle to keep and increase their reward. In each episode, an algorithm pairs contestants who will face off to earn money for their accounts by winning challenges or eliminating their opponents.

In addition to the $500,000 cash prize, the cast will be competing for a spot on The Challenge: Global Championship (working title) that will stream exclusively on Paramount.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Apparently, The Real Love Boat deserved to follow Survivor.

It's more likely CBS realizes that they need the lead-in from the Survivor audience to get anyone to watch the new show.  I expect that TAR will move back up when the Love Boat gets dry-docked halfway through the season.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Preview of the Racers going into Challenge USA:

Two things:

1. I don’t think TJ Lavin has ever watched TAR.
  2. Top comment: “I’m excited for them but man, I feel like Becca from Team Fun would’ve killed it.” I have to agree. 🤓👍
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Nice updates on the winners… surprisingly at least 3 work for Google… does the company encourage participation?

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/the-amazing-race-winners-where-are-they-now/

I love how so many of the profiles end with "____ isn't on social media".  So nice to know that is what passes for journalism these days - the author looked up each person on facebook/insta and if they didn't have a profile that was it.  No research, no calling CBS, nada nothing.  oof. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

So nice to know that is what passes for journalism these days

It's an Us magazine article.  The bar was never very high for that particular periodical.  A social media check for non-A-listers is probably pretty good by their standards.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

To say $1 Million is nothing would not be a smart statement.  However, it's not as glorified in 2022 as in the past.  To be hones, $10,000 is nice in 2022, but seven figures just isn't the prize worth leaving one's regular career.

With great investment, people keeping regular jobs might be better off, while getting something extra coupled with early retirement

Here is an article which details the cast and provides some spoilery info as to locations:

https://ew.com/tv/the-amazing-race-season-34-cast/

I am really liking the diversity in the contestants.  For once, I'm actually intrigued to learn about the background of a team, I want to hear the story of the long-lost twins.  I'm assuming they found each other through ancestry.com or some other DNA testing kit.

For some reason, I find myself really liking the girl with the rainbow coloured hair.  She looks like she has spirit.  

• Like 1

Article from Parade

Rex. Ryan.

Seriously?!? I mean, I’m good with TAR’s choices for sports-themed Racers, but this putz? And I’m gonna assume they tried to get his wooly (twin?) brother to partner with him, but that fell through.

Oh, and yet another Big Brother team. From Challenge USA, Derek struck me as a nice guy, but he’s still BB. Hard pass on him and his g/f, even if . . . I dunno . . . they got matching tattoos of cookout utensils in circles with slashes through them.

”No non-elimination legs” is probably code for “multiple-episode legs.” Should be fun to see who drops a deuce when Phil drops that on them.

ETA: Hey, maybe we’ll finally get a promo on tonight’s Challenge USA! 🤞🤞

Edited by Lantern7
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Article from Parade

Rex. Ryan.

Seriously?!? I mean, I’m good with TAR’s choices for sports-themed Racers, but this putz? And I’m gonna assume they tried to get his wooly (twin?) brother to partner with him, but that fell through.

Oh, and yet another Big Brother team. From Challenge USA, Derek struck me as a nice guy, but he’s still BB. Hard pass on him and his g/f, even if . . . I dunno . . . they got matching tattoos of cookout utensils in circles with slashes through them.

”No non-elimination legs” is probably code for “multiple-episode legs.” Should be fun to see who drops a deuce when Phil drops that on them.

ETA: Hey, maybe we’ll finally get a promo on tonight’s Challenge USA! 🤞🤞

The "no non-elimination legs" was first coined in season 12, but Phil announced with the attribution of the shorter leg as the previous NEL penalty Marked for Elimination was replaced by Speed Bump.

The upcoming season has a number of diversity contestants.

• African (Black): Dom, Quinton, Glenda, Lumumba, Marcus, Michael, Linton, Sharik
  • Asian (South, Southeast and East): Aashta, Nina, Richard, Derek, Emily, Molly
  • Hispanic/Latino: Aubrey, David, Luis, Michelle
Edited by ApprenticeFan
On 8/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, Lantern7 said:

During commercial breaks, CBS has run promos for Survivor and The Real Love Boat . . . but nothing for TAR. It's not encouraging at all.

I can do you one better.  I was rewatching one of last season's actual TAR episodes on the CBS app and there are promos for a lot of shows but none for TAR.  Wouldn't you think that would be the perfect place for a TAR teaser? 

• Love 1

I want to hear the story of the long-lost twins.  I'm assuming they found each other through ancestry.com or some other DNA testing kit.

It's actually mentioned in the Parade article.

Emily, 36, is a law firm admin. Molly, also 36, is a healthcare admin. The twins were separated at a young age when they were adopted to separate places from South Korea decades ago. They just met a year ago after a DNA test brought them back together, and they're looking to make up for lost time. And those years apart has had them lead completely different lifestyles, with Molly growing up as a dancer and Emily currently a single mom.

South Korea has an ongoing, decades-long scandal about the tens of thousands of children who were sold off as orphans available for foreign adoption. Many of the orphanages and social workers falsified the paperwork, so it's very difficult for them to research their birth families. Many were not orphans.

They weren't interested in the newlyweds because the wife is a head taller than her husband I'm sure [/sarcasm].

On 7/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, DEL901 said:

Nice updates on the winners… surprisingly at least 3 work for Google… does the company encourage participation?

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/the-amazing-race-winners-where-are-they-now/

You know, I've seen every single episode of TAR.  Many of them I've seen multiple times.  

Some of those people I have no memory of whatsoever.  Fame is fleeting, indeed.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

You know, I've seen every single episode of TAR.  Many of them I've seen multiple times.  

I found that I remembered the earlier season winners more than the newer seasons. Some, I had no idea who they were and I watched every season as well. Still, a nice article.

2 hours ago, bunnyface said:
On 7/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, DEL901 said:

The ones I always, always!, forget are Meghan and Cheyne, so much so that I just had to look up their names again! to put them in this post. Each time I have re-watched the series and get to their season it's like, who are they!?