Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

so it’s a matter of what foreign countries opens up for business and approves of travelers from the US visiting (racing) in their country. 

If they came here, they's have to have a test and remain sequestered for at least a couple of days. It may be more difficult to enter other countries. Perhaps the vaccine will help.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, ByaNose said:

That was a very good and thorough interview. I was glad to hear they weren’t particularly thrilled about the sharing of information either. While I hated the alliance there has always be a two or three team alliance before but just not as successful. At least, if they implement some type rule of sharing information or setting up a task where it’s at least impossible to do so I’ll be happy.

Of course, it might be a really long time for TAR to return. Survivor has a lot of time and as far as I know they aren’t any closer to resuming production. I know that TPTB would like 3 seasons to be shot back to back to back there doesn’t appear to be any movement on this. The producers of TAR ruled out shooting in the US (which i understand) so it’s a matter of what foreign countries opens up for business and approves of travelers from the US visiting (racing) in their country. 

Survivor hasn't yet started filming till next spring. As for TAR, it may have to wait till March 2021 to restart/resume production of TAR 33.

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

March 2022 would be more likely.

I totally agree with you. I doubt they (TAR & Survivor) will be traveling within the next 4 months. Maybe, early/late summer but I think TAR might have to change a lot of the routes they were planning on using. I’m curious to see how TAR looks when it returns. Will the cast be the same? Will they scrap the current cast and recast? They might not have even liked what they had shot before the shutdown. Interesting times ahead. Happy 2021 y’all. 

I agree TAR would be one of the last shows to resume, but if they can film the Bachelor, why can’t they film Survivor?    Minimum of 14 day quarantine, multiple negative tests for cast and crew...?

A bit off topic, but I think the reason they can't film Survivor is because Fiji is keeping the borders closed. Theoretically the contestants and crew should be able to show up, isolate and film. But if Fiji won't give an exemption to let them on, then they have to do something they haven't done in years.... Find a new location and build all the game infrastructure to film a season somewhere else.

I think I've read somewhere that they are considering a US (Hawaii?) based interim season until they can get back to Fiji for a more 'normal' season, but I think CBS and Fiji are basically playing chicken to see who will blink first. 

As for TAR, with vaccinations going out now, I could see them filming in the spring or summer maybe. That should be a point where vaccinations are available to regular folk in many locations, and we can start seeing borders reopening (with vaccination proof). So a new season might happen for Fall 21, but a more realistic expectation would be to see the new TAR season in Winter 22 at this point. We'll probably see 2 more seasons of TAN in the mean time, to fill out the schedule and to keep Phil busy. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Taeolas said:

A bit off topic, but I think the reason they can't film Survivor is because Fiji is keeping the borders closed. Theoretically the contestants and crew should be able to show up, isolate and film. But if Fiji won't give an exemption to let them on, then they have to do something they haven't done in years.... Find a new location and build all the game infrastructure to film a season somewhere else.

I think I've read somewhere that they are considering a US (Hawaii?) based interim season until they can get back to Fiji for a more 'normal' season, but I think CBS and Fiji are basically playing chicken to see who will blink first. 

As for TAR, with vaccinations going out now, I could see them filming in the spring or summer maybe. That should be a point where vaccinations are available to regular folk in many locations, and we can start seeing borders reopening (with vaccination proof). So a new season might happen for Fall 21, but a more realistic expectation would be to see the new TAR season in Winter 22 at this point. We'll probably see 2 more seasons of TAN in the mean time, to fill out the schedule and to keep Phil busy. 

Yeah, I think Hawaii is too local for Survivor. I could see the spoilers coming out in droves. I think Survivor is hell bent on Fiji because of the concessions (tax breaks) that Fiji has given them and I think all of their sets and the like are there, too. Eventually, in the first of the year I would think they (Survivor & CBS) would have to finally decide to give up on Fiji and go to an old island that would be open for business and let them film. It would be great if a new location was used just for a change. I just don’t know the time clock TPTB have set in mind for Fiji saying yes or no. There been no word as of yet. I’m guessing they would love to have something to air this summer at the earliest. Also, the cast that was almost ready to film in March might be totally changed because of Covid-19, the new casting “rules” of inclusion and life in general. All I can is I miss Survivor and I want it back on my screen.  

• Love 1

The latest rumor is Survivor may film in the Dominican Republic, with filming to start possibly in the spring.  Dominican Republic has played host to recent international versions, so it seems like it could possibly work.  Fiji not being open for business is one obstacle, but they may not be as willing to give tax breaks and some of the perks the crew was used to getting before.  I agree that if CBS wants to film bad enough and has a location that isn't Fiji that is willing to do it, then they probably will.  

I've never really gotten the impression, either, that CBS favors Survivor and even Big Brother over TAR.  Big Brother is an established summer time show, and Survivor was a ratings juggernaut in it's day that still pulls in decent ratings.  But it has always aired twice a year and aired in the same time slot, with the exception of when it moved from Thursday back to Wednesday.  TAR is a more expensive show to produce, and while it's been a critical darling and fan favorite, the ratings weren't there.  Even though I'm tired of Survivor filming in Fiji, I'm sure it's been a huge benefit in terms of cost to keep filming in the same location, especially since they film two seasons a year.  And they have the scripted shows that are popular, and they are always going to be trying new things, as any network would.  Unfortunately, I can see where it's easier to film TAR and have it available to throw into the schedule if something else doesn't work out.  Pandemic wise, if Survivor is having trouble getting a season to film, I think it shows how much harder it would be to film TAR.  There's no way to avoid being in a public area or interacting with the public, even if they trimmed down the number of countries they visited and did more driving themselves instead of public transportation.  And even if countries do start re-opening their borders once the vaccine gets out there, they may not be as willing to allow the show to film, when the teams will have been criss crossing in other countries along the way.  That's why I think it's unlikely we won't start filming again until early 2022, maybe fall 2021 if we're lucky.  On the plus side, maybe CBS would be willing to churn out more seasons to have on the shelf just in case.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, LadyChatts said:

I've never really gotten the impression, either, that CBS favors Survivor and even Big Brother over TAR.

They didn't even begin racing S33 for 2 years after racing S32. That doesn't seem like an enduring vote of confidence. Covid challenges on top of that? I think the World will be Waiting before we can Travel Safe and Go!

Edited by SG429
  • Love 1

Betram and Elise's other series will finally see the light of day. Race to the Center of the Earth will premiere on National Geographic March 29.

The seven-episode series follows four teams that start from four different locations and all head toward the same central location: a buoy in the water. The first team to arrive wins $1 million.

The show began casting for teams of three people back in 2019, and then filmed the actual race in the fall of 2019.

They competed in what NatGeo calls “an extreme non-elimination competition that follows four groups of adventurers,” who are “racing from different corners of the planet” and “will face untamed jungles, frozen arctic, arid deserts, bustling cities, treacherous mountains and vast oceans to reach the location where all four routes intersect.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2020 at 12:26 AM, Lamb18 said:

They could film next fall, maybe November, if cast and crew can all be vaccinated. And if other countries allow them in.

I would agree on that. The restart production of TAR 33 is expected to begin in the first weekend of November 2021 and have to finish by before December.

P.S. I am sorry for mentioning vaccines that friendly mods deleted the post.

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television

“The Amazing Race” (CBS) – Season 32
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Elise Doganieri, Mark Vertullo, Phil Keoghan

“The Masked Singer” (FOX) – Season 3, Season 4
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Nailed It!” (Netflix) – Season 4

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” ( (Season 12)

“The Voice” (NBC) – Season 18, Season 19

Bertram and Elise talk about their new series Race to the Center of the Earth, and all the other productions they are working on. Small mention of TAR 33:

Their signature show – The Amazing Race – was shut down during Season 33. Van Munster is confident that he’s figured out how to get the show back up and running and Doganieri said they’re aware of the demand from fans to get back out there. “We’ve been talking to CBS and they want to get back,” she said. “We just need to get that mass vaccinations happening. Safety is key, you don’t want to do a show and have people get sick. That’s our priority.”

• Love 1

One possibility might be to have most of the legs in Europe, which may be opening up to Americans who are vaccinated.

But would all the racers consent to getting vaccinated if they’re not already?

Because they can’t go to Asia or Oceania.

they might be able to go to Africa.  Also maybe South America and Mexico but South America is a hot spot and Mexico’s data may be suspect.

It wouldn’t be hard to have vaccinations a requirement for applicants. They visit countries that require vaccines already (yellow fever) so I’m sure those are required before travel.

• Love 4

We hope to get them out as soon as there is a piece of the world that opens up that allows enough legs of travel.

I take this as production scrapping the rest of the planned 9 or 10 legs for S33. Hopefully they will put the remaining legs into a singular season (maybe S34 if TAR gets renewed) and they don't get divided amongst two separate seasons like the cancelled legs from S15.

I'm watching the Big Brother feeds and the BB chat room is lamenting the demise of The Amazing Race. I haven't seen anything about the show being canceled. I thought they were filming a season now or they just finished filming it.

The last I heard was that TAR33 was cancelled after 3 legs due to COVID and nothing has restarted yet, because they want to be sure everything is safe first.

That said, it's good to know that BB fans know that TAR is a superior show if they're lamenting its loss.

They could have filmed in Europe and Africa now.

But not in Asia at all.

So unless they changed their itinerary they can't complete the season.

Plus the racers, production staff and crews may not all be vaccinated, so those people would have problems entering some countries.

Other shows have filmed in countries which make accommodations for them.  So Croatia has been used by several shows in the past year.

Unless they plan to make it TAR Croatia, I guess they're stuck.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, Lamb18 said:

I'm watching the Big Brother feeds and the BB chat room is lamenting the demise of The Amazing Race. I haven't seen anything about the show being canceled. I thought they were filming a season now or they just finished filming it.

I’d think there would have been news on that by now. I have been searching every now and then. Most likely, “demise” probably meant the show’s decline.

Today's 20 years since the first episode aired. Admittedly, I've been a critic of things the show's done over the years - the Japanese game shows, the fact that Africa had been demoted almost entirely to slums, safaris, and schools until they finally did a "modern city" leg in the continent in season thirty, the casting of basically every returnee season - but I've never once doubted the show's heart is in the right place and they're trying to do the right thing, which is more than I can say for pretty much any other show on television anywhere in the world.

• Love 4

CBS plans to air TAR this season.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-amazing-race-return-cbs-this-season-covid-production-delays-1234829832/

Supposedly in pre-production but Europe is increasing travel restrictions after being fairly liberal over most of the summer.  Now I think only vaccinated people are allowed in some countries whereas previously unvaccinated people could submit a negative recent test.

Asia never opened up without quarantines at a minimum so unless they plan to have racers hang out for a couple of weeks before they film in those countries, they can't really go to those places.

We're still not over the Delta wave and by the time it's over, we could be in for a winter surge as well.

So strange timing but maybe they felt they couldn't wait any longer.  What if some racers refuse to get vaccinated?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theschnauzers said:

From my reading, the Deadline article has nothing new.

It reads like a "Remember us? We're still here" press release - short on details and long on aspiration. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:
3 hours ago, aghst said:

.  What if some racers refuse to get vaccinated?

I’m sure there are plenty of alternate racers who will gladly be vaccinated for the opportunity to run the race.  

Yeah, I'm sure it won't be optional.  Same thing for the crew.  And dammit, it shouldn't be optional.  That we are even bringing up that possibility 20 months into a worldwide pandemic is beyond belief. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, aghst said:

We're still not over the Delta wave and by the time it's over, we could be in for a winter surge as well.

Don't worry. You will spend the rest of your life hearing about new variants, new causes for concern, new measures to 'flatten the curve'. Because too many people are getting rich as a result. (Or more accurately, too many rich people are getting richer.) And too much power is being transferred into the hands of the rules-for-thee-but-not-for-me people that believe they know best how we should be allowed to live.

This ain't never going away. So, as far as TAR is concerned, we better be prepared to take what we can get.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This question was asked at TV Line at Matt's Inside Line...

Isn’t there another season of The Amazing Race already taped? Any idea when it will air? –Colleen
Actually, as host Phil Keoghan shared over a year ago, “we were shooting Season 33, and then, look, all hell broke loose [with the pandemic] and we had to come home.” But I brought your Q to CBS Entertainment chief Kelly Kahl, and he said, “We’re hoping to back out shooting very soon. There is a plan in place to get going, and hopefully we’ll have something for later on in the [2021-22 TV] season.”

• Love 1

The race map design people for TAR 33 should immediately request a raise lol. This may be the jankiest looking "race around the world" ever.

I've been watching a few Youtube travel vloggers (all the through the pandemic really) and from some of their recent ports of call, I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern Europe might feature heavily during S33. Armenia, Albania, Moldova (amongst others) all seem to be relatively lax on their Covid restrictions and I think TAR could navigate it's way through that part of the world without too many hiccups..

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you do with Asia & Australia/NZ. Without having the racers pause and do a 14 or 7 day mandatory quarantine before picking the race back up again it seems unlikely they could make that part of the world work without rapid changes in those individual governments attitudes and restrictions towards Covid.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Have they always raced around the world?

TAR doesn't really connote around the world.

They could maybe design a race which wasn't so reliant on flights shaking up the order depending on how well the racers navigate flights.

They they could have a lot of the legs in two adjacent continents like Europe and Africa, where the case rates are low, if the official numbers are to be believed.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

With the exception of TAR8 (The Family Edition) they have always raced around the world.

I'm thinking that even if they got permission to go to certain countries, they wouldn't want to. Australia for instance has  by all accounts become completely totalitarian in nature, with goose-stepping coppers arresting kids for sitting on the beach, and persecuting folks for not wearing masks in the privacy of their own homes, etc.

All that apart, they will almost certainly have to wear masks no matter where they go, which may make so many of the usual sort of challenges rather difficult to undertake. (And on-screen racer recognition a bit tricky for viewers too.)

I do anticipate the next season will be quite different to what we're accustomed to, but however it turns out I will watch, because even bad TAR is better than no TAR, and because they need our support right now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Depends on what you mean by racing around the world. TAR 7 for example did not circumnavigate the globe, they went as far as India and then headed back the other way to America.

I can't imagine the logistical challenges of trying to maintain up to 12 independent travelling covid-safe bubbles, through multiple covid checkpoints, with all the random contacts and other adventures outside of, or during, the controlled tasks. Any positive test for racers or production along the way would certainly be a problem.

• Love 1

I suspect the solution is going to be a LOT of self-driving legs, remote locations, and rapid testing for task employees where interaction with locals is necessary (eg, boat drivers in island legs).

I don't think Asia is necessarily off the table, just that most of the "usual suspect" countries are. It's true that places like China and Japan and Vietnam are out, but Turkey and Jordan and Georgia and the Maldives and Uzbekistan are all basically open as long as you present negative tests upon arrival (and they'll probably do testing at every Pit Stop for exactly this reason no matter what countries they pick), Thailand's islands (including Phuket) are open as long as you avoid the mainland, Sri Lanka's quarantine is only for a couple of nights if you're fully vaxxed, Singapore and South Korea both offer quarantine exemptions for business travellers (ie, TV cast and crew) who can present negative tests... Asia is definitely doable.

I don't think a route with something like [the three legs that are already filmed] - restarting in Africa - eastern Europe - Turkey - Maldives - Phuket - Korea - US is out of the question. It's just going to depend on whether they're deadset on going to a certain country or if they feel confident they can do something good with what's available. Having several new countries this season might not be what they wanted, but it certainly looks like it's going to be the best way to get the season filmed and it could absolutely be used to the show's benefit in promotions and so forth. (In particular, Jordan is perfect for TAR right now - it's safe and cheap and America-friendly, it's got more major global landmarks than basically any other country TAR has never been to (The Dead Sea! Wadi Rum! PETRA!), it's got a strong culture that could sustain multiple legs of TAR tasks if needed, and if nothing else the irony of it saving TAR after Survivor was saved by not going there as planned after 9/11 would be brilliant.)

Also, as an Australian, Netfoot's assertion is completely false (though I don't think I can argue why without going off-topic). Australia won't be part of the route, but it's not because of any of that.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 3
On 9/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, SnideAsides said:

Also, as an Australian, Netfoot's assertion is completely false (though I don't think I can argue why without going off-topic). Australia won't be part of the route, but it's not because of any of that.

Well, the Australian TV news that I watch certainly isn't painting a very pleasant picture, and a recent video described as showing a 'dystopian lockdown nightmare' has apparently gone viral. But if I have maligned the country, please accept an apology from me.

I have never met an Australian I didn't like, have been fascinated by the country for most of my life, consider Nevil Shute to be one of my favourite authors, and the only reason I've never visited is because it's a bit pricy from here ($8-10 thousand with out accommodation or a car) and to see the place properly I'd need to go for months rather than days.

So, again, I have no wish to malign Australia, so I apologise if it seems like I've done so.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:20 AM, Netfoot said:

With the exception of TAR8 (The Family Edition) they have always raced around the world.

I'm thinking that even if they got permission to go to certain countries, they wouldn't want to. Australia for instance has  by all accounts become completely totalitarian in nature, with goose-stepping coppers arresting kids for sitting on the beach, and persecuting folks for not wearing masks in the privacy of their own homes, etc.

All that apart, they will almost certainly have to wear masks no matter where they go, which may make so many of the usual sort of challenges rather difficult to undertake. (And on-screen racer recognition a bit tricky for viewers too.)

I do anticipate the next season will be quite different to what we're accustomed to, but however it turns out I will watch, because even bad TAR is better than no TAR, and because they need our support right now.

I'm not sure what your source is for this but Australia has a firm mask and testing and social distancing policy, racers could - depending on individual state/territories, travel within Australia.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I'm not sure what your source is for this but Australia has a firm mask and testing and social distancing policy, racers could - depending on individual state/territories, travel within Australia.

Actually some of the states prevent travel from other states.

For instance, Western Australia, where Perth is located, has low case rates so they don't want visitors from New South Wales, which includes Sydney.

NSW has high case rates.

Overall, Australia has done much much better in terms of total cases, hospitalizations and deaths than US or Europe.  But they have restricted travel in/out of Australia and between their states.

It's unlikely they would allow an American TV show to film there until they reached a high percentage of vaccination and they've relaxed travel rules for their own citizens.

Some estimates say the whole country may reach 80% of all eligible people to be fully-vaccinated in November or December.

Edited by aghst