Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Chapter Five: Heart Of Darkness

• Start Topic

I mean, look.. Archie is good looking, I won't deny that but character wise? I can't. He's the best always or whatever and he's dull as a rock to me. Now. Jughead on the other hand.. is ADORABLE! And also witty and funny and I want very much this show to be all about him, Betty, and Veronica. Kevin can stay, I have no real problems with him either.

• Love 17

This show might actually work as a gothic horror.  It just needs to get rid of Archie first.

Cheryl walking down the isle to her brother's wake in white was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen.  

When the show just goes balls out crazy it works for me,  When it tries to be deep it falls apart.

• Love 14

Are there no seniors on that football team? Who gives the Captain position to a first year player? Have TV writers ever attended high school? Archie doesn't seem that amazing at football despite the fact they keep telling us he's so amazing at everything. He has nice abs other than that he has no emotions. 

I'm still fine with ditching him for the Betty and Jughead sleuthing around town hour with a side of Veronica making comments on everything they do. 

Cheryl and her family are very creepy. But I do feel bad for her, her mother may be worse than Betty's because at least Betty's seems to care about her somewhat. Cheryl's mom doesn't seem to like her daughter at all. 

So was Jason supposed to be running away to be with Polly, was that plan before he was murdered? Did Cheryl know about that plan? Or where did she think he was going? 

• Love 8

Another really good episode. Really liked getting more background on Cheryl and The Blossoms. Man her parents suck especially her mother. I was a bigger fan of Cheryl by the end. Loved the Betty/Jughead scenes. Starting to ship them a little more. Felt bad for Betty realizing both her parents suck. interesting getting an apparent Blossom/Cooper Blood feud and hearing that Great Great Grandad was killed by Great Great Granddad Blossom. Don't really feel sorry for Hermonie and I'm not wanting Fred to get more involved with her and her criminal ways. Also noticed a Potential Archie/Valerie paring and an Archie/Veronica moment .Next week looks REALLY Good! 

• Love 6

As far as Archie's character goes, focusing more on his personal ambitions is an improvement on what came before, but the show is still in a situation where he's in a fairly standard teen drama plotline while his peers are doing crazy stuff like conducting a murder investigation.  I did like his interactions with Valerie (making a play for more screentime; poor Melody, left in the dust).

Grandma Blossom showing up out of nowhere was a genuine jumpscare moment.

• Love 3
Just now, SeanC said:

As far as Archie's character goes, focusing more on his personal ambitions is an improvement on what came before, but the show is still in a situation where he's in a fairly standard teen drama plotline while his peers are doing crazy stuff like conducting a murder investigation.  I did like his interactions with Valerie (making a play for more screentime; poor Melody, left in the dust).

Grandma Blossom showing up out of nowhere was a genuine jumpscare moment.

It was! Betty looked scared shitless for a second. Like Jughead said "The Horror The Horror" she got hit with a whammy this week 

15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Cheryl walking down the isle to her brother's wake in white was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen.  

The moment was completely lost on me.  I kept rewinding it, looking for something in her hands that everyone was going nuts over?  It was just that she was wearing white?  LOL.  

I was happy that Reggie wasn't an asshole this episode.  He was cool.  I don't know why the DRAMATIC character switch, but ok.

Just in love with Cole Sprouse more each ep.  Ugh I'm a cougar

Who gives the Captain position to a first year player?

You leave that fine-ass Coach alone!  (LOL I am TOTALLY kidding)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The moment was completely lost on me.  I kept rewinding it, looking for something in her hands that everyone was going nuts over?  It was just that she was wearing white?  LOL.  

For me it was the wedding/funeral virgin/damned illusion.  Cheryl and Jason have a twinest vibe and the whole thing including her speech made it look even more so regardless of it is true or not.  

• Love 2

Daddy Cooper sure was looking like Jason's killer by the end of the episode. I was glad to see him interact with Betty without Alice around as I was hoping he was more than the pansy he looked to be in the previous episodes

• Love 2

Unnhh, it's only been five episodes, and Betty-Jughead are my everything.  I want them investigating murders, unearthing/sharing dark family secrets, and modeling their funeral duds full-time.  Good on Betty for confronting what she knows her parents aren't telling her, and Jughead had some great lines - I loved how casually he told Trev they were working on their "murder board," and I laughed so hard when they found Grandma Blossom and he whispered, "The horror, the horror!" in Betty's ear.  (Side note:  dead teenage boy's bedroom might be a good place to find his secrets, but his senile(?) grandma who thinks you're her dead grandson's fiance is always gonna be your best source.)  Also, I was really impressed - with both of them but especially Betty - at how calmly and rationally they added the Coopers to the board.

And then there's Archie - sigh... It was better than last week, and I liked his decision to stay in football but not be captain (although even having that as a possibility was ridiculous.)  I also liked seeing a tiny bit more of Reggie and appreciated that he wasn't an unrelenting douche the entire time.  It so would've served Archie right if he'd badly hurt his hand after Reggie warned him to sit out and he had to get all, "Are you that scared of me?"  Please, Archie.

Oh man, the Blossoms and their Gothic horror and blood feuds were just insane.  So help me, I love it all.  Interested in Veronica and Cheryl being less than enemies, and Cheryl's funeral entrance was great (I thought at least part of the reaction was also because it was well-known that she was wearing a white dress when Jason allegedly drowned in the first place) - I got a huge kick out of Kevin's thrilled "Yes!!!" when he saw her.

Edited by angora
"Your" is not "you're" - the horror, the horror!
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, angora said:

Unnhh, it's only been five episodes, and Betty-Jughead are my everything.  I want them investigating murders, unearthing/sharing dark family secrets, and modeling their funeral duds full-time.  Good on Betty for confronting what she knows her parents aren't telling her, and Jughead had some great lines - I loved how casually he told Trev they were working on their "murder board," and I laughed so hard when they found Grandma Blossom and he whispered, "The horror, the horror!" in Betty's ear.  (Side note:  dead teenage boy's bedroom might be a good place to find his secrets, but his senile(?) grandma who thinks your her dead grandson's fiance is always gonna be your best source.)  Also, I was really impressed - with both of them but especially Betty - at how calmly and rationally they added the Coopers to the board.

And then there's Archie - sigh... It was better than last week, and I liked his decision to stay in football but not be captain (although even having that as a possibility was ridiculous.)  I also liked seeing a tiny bit more of Reggie and appreciated that he wasn't an unrelenting douche the entire time.  It so would've served Archie right if he'd badly hurt his hand after Reggie warned him to sit out and he had to get all, "Are you that scared of me?"  Please, Archie.

Oh man, the Blossoms and their Gothic horror and blood feuds were just insane.  So help me, I love it all.  Interested in Veronica and Cheryl being less than enemies, and Cheryl's funeral entrance was great (I thought at least part of the reaction was also because it was well-known that she was wearing a white dress when Jason allegedly drowned in the first place) - I got a huge kick out of Kevin's thrilled "Yes!!!" when he saw her.

Betty and Jughead are heading to be my OTP at this point lol. Agreed with everything you said in this post. I'm loving this show!!

• Love 4

Archie is really on a different show, even his home life is boring. Everyone else's parents have crazy things going on, Betty's mother is actually crazy, Cheryl's mom is the evil, Veronica's parent's are criminals that work with a gang, Jughead's dad is that gang's leader and Archie's dad has a job. Then we have the kids like it was said above investigating a murder and finding out what happened to Betty's sister or going to a creepy sleepover at a Gothic horror mansion and having the most worst dinner party ever. And Archie has to choose between music or football both of which he's boring at, then he gets to do both anyway. Was that supposed be dramatic? 

No offence to the actor, but if Riverdale would stop getting interrupted by Archie's Creek, I'd enjoy it more. 

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Archie is really on a different show, even his home life is boring. Everyone else's parents have crazy things going on, Betty's mother is actually crazy, Cheryl's mom is the evil, Veronica's parent's are criminals that work with a gang, Jughead's dad is that gang's leader and Archie's dad has a job. Then we have the kids like it was said above investigating a murder and finding out what happened to Betty's sister or going to a creepy sleepover at a Gothic horror mansion and having the most worst dinner party ever. And Archie has to choose between music or football both of which he's boring at, then he gets to do both anyway. Was that supposed be dramatic? 

No offence to the actor, but if Riverdale would stop getting interrupted by Archie's Creek, I'd enjoy it more. 

Don't forget Daddy Cooper may have Murdered Jason cause of a blood feud. I noticed that Archie still seems largely separated from all the more interesting stuff going on. That needs to change 

• Love 1

Also forgot to add I'm now shipping Betty and Jughead. I know Jughead is asexual in the comics but I thought I heard they wanted to change it for the show? 

Ideally though I still ship Betty and Veronica but I don't think that's happening and I firmly believe that the early scenes suggesting it were viewer bait.

• Love 4

I am fully shipping Betty and Jughead. 

Betty, Veronica and Cheryl should play a game of "my parents are the worst." Or "my parents are the most INSANE." Ooh, forgot Jughead! He can play too.

It appears Archie wore his fucking letter jacket to a funeral. Way to hold up the dumb jock stereotype, Arch! I feel like everyone on this show has some kind of spark except for him.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6

100% on board with Betty and Jughead. 

Archie is the worst. His story is so boring. I feel like Cheryl's role could have used a stronger actress. Maybe someone who comes across more threatening or something.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 4

Does anyone think that Polly's "sickness" is actually pregnancy?

I really ship Archie and Valerie; they got together for a while in the comics, so it would be cool if the show went that way.  Betty and Jughead are adorable as well.  You can even keep him as asexual if he isn't aromantic as well.

• Love 11

Archie's plot doesn't tie in with the others at all anymore.  He's not really good friends with Betty, Veronica or Jughead as of last episode.  He's not helping investigate.  I strongly suspect that this means something big will happen to put him into the center of the mystery.

• Love 2

I am enjoying Archie's storyline. It's a nice contrast to the craziness. 

I find it interesting that Grandma Blossom loved Polly. I think she'd be the daughter of the man who killed Pollyanna and Betty's great grandfather, right? 

Anyways, I am just loving the show. 

32 minutes ago, Avatar19 said:

Archie's plot doesn't tie in with the others at all anymore.  He's not really good friends with Betty, Veronica or Jughead as of last episode.  He's not helping investigate.  I strongly suspect that this means something big will happen to put him into the center of the mystery.

I wonder if the writers would ever have Archie kill Jason. The allusions to how Archie looks like Jason  and him changing over the summer (personally, Archie is way hotter than Jason), is taking his spot in the football, getting into music, etc. 

• Love 6

The Blossoms are a VC Andrews novel on steroids. Clifford & Penelope have contentious relationships with everyone Hiram & Hermione, Alice & Hal, Josie's Mom, Kevin's Dad, etc. The only ones they don't seem to dislike are the Andrews family.

Cheryl making her grand entrance to Jason's memorial, replete with emo Tears For Fears cover, as Kevin reacts gleefully to the ensuing drama cracked me up. Kevin is like if Marc from Ugly Betty & Joanne The Scammer had a baby.

Grandma Blossom was awesome. Her lurking in Jason's room was indeed a genuine jumpscare moment.

Loved Reggie (who looks really good shirtless) getting some much needed layers. I feel bad that he's been demoted to a supporting character because he was a crucial part of the Archie gang, in the comics.

Trev is adorable and a serious cutie. More of him please.

Betty & Jughead are cute, as are Archie & Valerie. Neither couple is endgame, but they're better than the alternative.

Fred is setting himself up for a world of hurt, trying to be Hermione's knight in shining armor. But it now makes total sense where Archie gets his martyr tendencies.

This show finds endless ways to keep KJ Apa shirtless. I approve.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

It appears Archie wore his fucking letter jacket to a funeral. Way to hold up the dumb jock stereotype, Arch! 

Jason was on the football team.  It's common for teammates to wear their jacket to the funerals or wakes of teammates, although Archie should probably have run it by his parents first.  They didn't object, so we could just pretend he did so off screen.

Edited by TvWatcher77
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

So was Jason supposed to be running away to be with Polly, was that plan before he was murdered? Did Cheryl know about that plan? Or where did she think he was going? 

She knew he was going to meet Polly. As I mentioned in an earlier episode thread, why else would she have accused Polly of being the murderer when Polly was supposed to be in some group home.

2 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

It would not surprise me.

I love that the Coopers and the Blossoms have a blood feud over maple syrup!

Nice to know that Reggie's not a complete toolbag and that he was concerned over Archie's injured hand.

Moments like Cheryl walking out in the white dress to a cover of Tears For Fears' "Shout" and in the funeral and saying "Yes!" is why I like this show.

Grandma Blossom is so creepy!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Josie's complete lack of screen time confuses me. Is she not in the main cast? 

Yeah, strange that they'd give that much screentime and story to one of the random pussycats instead of Josie herself. Maybe because they wanted to give some romantic hints and don't want to do Archie/Josie? 

I'll echo the sentiments, everything in this show is clicking EXCEPT it's main character. The only intriguing thing with Archie right now is that they keep driving the Jason comparison hard. So either somebody was actually trying to kill Archie instead of Jason, or somebody's going to go nuts and try to kill Archie thinking he's Jason.

If this was a cable show, my guess would be the Blossom twins were engaged in some Lannister behavior and their mom found out, went nuts and shot Jason. But this is the CW.

Once again, love the fact the show completely sidestepped the cat fight between Veronica and Cheryl, in order to go in a more interesting direction. 

• Love 4

Ok. Reggie. Shirtless. HOT! Not as ripped as Archie or Chuck, but I love reggie's cockiness. Although Reggie doesn't seem very smart outside of telling Archie to sit it out. 

This episode. LOVED it. Archie was a bit too disjointed and kept separate from most everything (he never seems to care about any drama that doesn't concern him, which might be a good thing). 

Cheryl. The Blossoms. LOOOOOVEEEDD it. Wow. Yay well done!

ronnie...she is sweet, but I feel Betty keeps getting the interesting stuff and ronnie is just getting the basic stuff. I wanna see Ronnie discover something ! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Absolutely.  I kinda had that vibe all episode, but Mr. Cooper told Betty that Polly is sick and that she can only come back once she's better sealed it for me.  It totally sounds like the parents are trying to hide Polly away until after she gives birth.  The reveal that Polly and Jason had gotten married while still in high school also points strongly in that direction.  

I really like Betty and Jughead together but only as friends.  I'll be really disappointed if they abandoned the "ace" part of Jughead's character.  Blatantly asexual characters (as opposed to characters who just don't have romantic storylines) are a rarity in television and I think that would be a far more interesting story arc to mine than a romantic plot line for Jughead.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, loki567 said:

If this was a cable show, my guess would be the Blossom twins were engaged in some Lannister behavior and their mom found out, went nuts and shot Jason. But this is the CW.

Is the CW not allowed to go there? I get that they couldn't show it, but they couldn't state that it happened either? Because I also think that would seem to be the logical, twisted direction of this story.

1 hour ago, xqueenfrostine said:

I really like Betty and Jughead together but only as friends.  I'll be really disappointed if they abandoned the "ace" part of Jughead's character.  Blatantly asexual characters (as opposed to characters who just don't have romantic storylines) are a rarity in television and I think that would be a far more interesting story arc to mine than a romantic plot line for Jughead.

I don't know, I kinda think with teen shows if an unexpected couple clicks early (due to the actors or what have you) then the smartest thing to do is take advantage it.

And I notice people are now picking up on Betty and Jughead all over the place, so my guess is the people behind the show must have too.

• Love 6

The problem with Archie is that he's just far too normal at this point and the writers keep giving him storylines away from the rest of the core group of teens. Everyone else feels like a part of some gothic mystery while Archie is off in his own storylines and he just feels so disconnected from everyone. Veronica came into town just recently and somehow has felt more natural and part of the group dynamic that is Betty/Kevin/Jughead than Archie does even though he has known them for much longer. Hell, they keep emphasizing how Betty and Archie are bffs but have given us barely interaction with them where I truly buy that they've known each other all their lives. Betty and Jughead seem like far closer friends than Archie/Betty or Archie/Jughead at this point. 

• Love 8

My favorite part of this show is rapidly becoming the Nancy Drew snooping of Betty and Jughead. (ps. That was "the best [Jughead] could do?" Is he living in the basement of the Men's Wearhouse now?)

I'm more convinced than ever that Polly got packed off because she was pregnant, but now I also think Jason was running away to be with her. Here's hoping we finally see the elusive sister next week.

I actually don't think the relationship between Veronica and Cheryl is that unusual for a couple of high school mean and formerly-mean-trying-to-be-less-mean girls. I wasn't even in a fancy clique and I had several relationships where we'd be emotional support one minute and backstabbing the next. Teenage girls are awful, is what I'm trying to say.

• Love 8

A blood feud over maple syrup - that has to be a first. 

Frankly, I find everyone compelling enough except Archie and the Pussycats - on the one side it's a good thing they seam interconnected because I can just skip their scenes, on the other they are just pulling each other down to a new boring level each week.

I'm also convinced that Polly was/is definitely preggo.

• Love 2

I was hoping this show would be my new Pretty Little Liars and so far it is.  The same things that worked for PLL work on Riverdale.  PLL was always at its best when it skipped the romances that never made any sense to begin with and just went balls out crazy.    

The entire wake would have worked well in PLL.  Plus teens trying to solve a mystery.  

Riverdale runs into problems when it tries to get romantic or deal with "real" stuff.  Football is boring when others are trying to solve murders and dealing with long standing blood feuds.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I continue to just love the hell outta this show. I don't know whether I should feel ashamed about that or not, but I don't care!

I agree with, well, basically everyone that Archie is just completely out of place on this show. It's like they're trying to do a typical teen drama and also a Gothic, Twin Peaks style insane teen show at the same time. I am a fan of teen dramas, but this particular one they're trying to do here kinda pales in comparison to the insanity of the other side of the show.

That being said, I did think Archie/Valerie were really cute together. And I much prefer the Valerie actress to the Josie one. A part of me wonders if they had bigger plans for Josie considering the actress is a main cast member, but then they went in a different direction because the actress just doesn't really work.

But I'm actually very confused about who is part of the main cast and who is part of the supporting cast. I thought Casey Cott was a main cast member since he's been in every episode, but I noticed last night that he was in the 'guest starring' portion of the cast.

• Love 2

So why is Archie in this show again? His 'problems' of having to decide which of the things he's really good at to pursue, and which of the endless stream of pretty girls to date, are extremely tiresome. Also, he just lost the football captaincy? Oh, that poor mite. He wasn't even a football player three weeks ago.

I guess "how's life in a PG world?" was a meta comment on how he's just in a different TV show to everyone else. An old version of this show that didn't get made, because all the writers started doing LSD. I actually feel bad for the actor now, because he seems so detached from everything else that's going on. I'm getting a few Laurel Lance vibes from that detachment.

I see Jughead still can't dress like an adult, even at a funeral. Goes to the trouble of wearing a suit, but still perches that child's hat on top of his head? Not helping me see you as a real human person there, 'Jughead'. Maybe once Betty gets saddled with him as a boyfriend, she can teach him how to dress himself.

Just make the whole show about the three girls, and dump the rest of the dead wood. Betty is great, and the actress is definitely the most engaging person on the show. Veronica is less so, but she's okay. Not had much to do yet. Cheryl is fun, even though the actress is pretty bad.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

He didn't even "lose" the football captaincy. He took himself out of the running after waiting to find out that he got it. I think it was supposed to be perceived as noble, as in "Here's Archie giving up prestige for the good of the team." But how it came off for me is self-absorbed. If he didn't feel like he could commit to being the captain, he could have plled out well before Coach Clayton made his pick. At least the way it played out did not suggest that he was struggling with this and the moment when captaincy was offered was when he decided to take one for the team.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I find it interesting that Grandma Blossom loved Polly. I think she'd be the daughter of the man who killed Pollyanna and Betty's great grandfather, right? 

I don't think so. If she is Clifford Blossom's mother, that would make her the daughter in law of the man who killed Betty's great grandfather. 

The thing with the ring also points to this. Grandma Blossom said "that ring has been in the Blossom family for generations". Not "my family", "the Blossom family". This makes me suspect that when a woman marries into the Blossom family her mother in law is supposed to pass the ring to her. Only in this case I suspect Grandma Blossom refused to give it to Penelope. 

All together, I think we have enough data to construct a rough timeline. 

• 1942 - The Blossoms, Coopers and presumably the Lodges found Riverdale upon the maple syrup industry.
  • Clifford's grandfather kills Hal's grandfather and steals his cut of the maple syrup business.
  • 1940s - 1950s Clifford's father and Hal's father are born.
  • Grandma Blossom marries Clifford's father.
  • Late 1970s The whole current generation of parents is born.
  • 2001 - Archie and the gang are all born in the same year.
  • Love 4

A blood feud over maple syrup - that has to be a first. 

That's what finally got me about this show:  it doesn't always know when it's being meta (syrup, though usually chocolate, was used for fake blood in black-and-white movies.)

Also, all the teenagers seem to be acting & talking more like expectations of teens (heavy on wit, very focused on relationships, sports, and music) and not as worried about other actual teenager things, like college.  I don't know how much of that is intentional (and a nod to the original source, where the nostalgia lens used to be strong), but it's more than just editing out the boring bits.  For some people that's part of the fun; for me--it's distracting, so I'm taking a break. 

That said, I hope it gets a second season, because there's still a lot of potential to be developed.

I'm a tad confused on ages. Are Cherry and Jason the same age as Betty and the gang? Seems like it with Cheryl hanging out with them. But then againg, she is the head cheerleader and he was the captain of the football team (and dating older sister Polly) so they are/were older? 

Edited by millk
33 minutes ago, millk said:

I'm a tad confused on ages. Are Cherry and Jason the same age as Betty and the gang? Seems like it with Cheryl hanging out with them. But then againg, she is the head cheerleader and he was the captain of the football team (and dating older sister Polly) so they are/were older? 

They're also taking the same classes, so the entire current generation of plot-relevant teenagers was apparently born on the exact same year. 

1 hour ago, millk said:

I've been confused about this for a long time. Ages seem to not exist in this universe. Is Cheryl also a sophomore? Because she would have to be older than the rest of them. But she seems to hang out with them. And yeah Jason was dating Polly who is older than Betty.... 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So why is Archie in this show again? His 'problems' of having to decide which of the things he's really good at to pursue, and which of the endless stream of pretty girls to date, are extremely tiresome. Also, he just lost the football captaincy? Oh, that poor mite. He wasn't even a football player three weeks ago.

I guess "how's life in a PG world?" was a meta comment on how he's just in a different TV show to everyone else. An old version of this show that didn't get made, because all the writers starting doing LSD. I actually feel bad for the actor now, because he seems so detached from everything else that's going on. I'm getting a few Laurel Lance vibes from that detachment.

I see Jughead still can't dress like an adult, even at a funeral. Goes to the trouble of wearing a suit, but still perches that child's hat on top of his head? Not helping me see you as a real human person there, 'Jughead'. Maybe once Betty gets saddled with him as a boyfriend, she can teach him how to dress himself.

Just make the whole show about the three girls, and dump the rest of the dead wood. Betty is great, and the actress is definitely the most engaging person on the show. Veronica is less so, but she's okay. Not had much to do yet. Cheryl is fun, even though the actress is pretty bad.

He's definitely in a different show. He's in a high School Musical spin off whilst the others are in an angsty, teen, whodunnit, slasher series. Maybe Archie needs to be the next fatality. There are certain rules one must abide by to successfully survive a horror movie..

I think Jugheads hat is a way to retain his hipster 'I don't care about appearances' look. High School kids for ya. No parent to tell him to grow up and be presentable 

• Love 2