Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

On 12/14/2022 at 6:19 PM, Anduin said:

Hey, have you ever watched For All Mankind? I think you'd find it as annoying as I do, for the exact opposite reason. Me: there's too much soap opera in my space opera! You: there's too much space opera in my soap opera!

That's part of why I stopped watching L&O: SVU the soapy drama.... Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm not sure if those characters could return or not depending on who owns the rights to them.

Josh Robert Thompson voiced the Geoff the robot, he was also the character's puppeteer behind the wall and voiced a lot of other characters on the show. After Craig's run as host of The Late Late show Josh dealt with some mental health issues for a few years. During that time he was trying to get noticed for doing his own thing including a pilot he had shot and paid for. In the industry nobody knew who he was really and didn't seem to be familiar with the robot character he played. I remember seeing his posts sharing how frustrating and upsetting it all was in ways that made me and others worried for him sometimes.

He was eventually able to come out of that dark place he found himself in thankfully. In the past few years he seems to have become more comfortable sharing stories about his time on The Late Late Show, things that occurred off set and what he's been doing since. This first tweet is the start of a long Twitter thread talking about how it all affected him personally. The second is a thread about what would be going on in scenes between Geoff and Craig along with all the other characters he voiced.  The third tweet is an example of frustrations he had with CBS.

P.S: Sorry for this novel. Seeing the mention of The Late Late Show when it was more enjoyable made me think about things that went on after that time in the show's history ended.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

P.S: Sorry for this novel. Seeing the mention of The Late Late Show when it was more enjoyable made me think about things that went on after that time in the show's history ended.

I did read it and it was great. Talented man. CBS probably has the rights but they can change the names and alter the look of the characters if CBS has a problem.

I am not sure they can recreate the magic of the the Late Late Show but getting these 2 together again would be a really great step. Even if it isn't as great it is a first step.

• Like 1

NBC renews La Brea for likely final season 3 comprising of 6 episodes only. https://deadline.com/2023/01/la-brea-canceled-end-season-3-episode-count-nbc-networks-strike-contingency-1235245795/

This means that La Brea would most likely end with Season 3. (There a small chance that the show could continue with a new family beyond that, played by a new cast.)

The possibility of strike(s) is expected to boost the renewal chances of other series like La Brea, which are facing cancellation this season, as they could get episodes written — and possibly produced — ahead of the potential work stoppage, getting them ready for fall. These bubble shows are safer bets than new series, whose pilots won’t be ready for pickup until May, making them a more challenging proposition to launch in the fall. 

My fears of summer-fall 2023 having a writers' /union strike are strong, even though I don't understand the legalese of their union agreements or how their strikes can be averted.

I've been an avid watcher of CBS' current NCIS now that Gary Cole is leading that cast. Better brace myself for network shows re-starting in maybe late October 2023 and for a shortened 2023-2024 season... sigh.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm not sure what to think about either of these. On one hand I was like WTF then on the other I wondered if one or both might work. 

New Good Wife Spinoff Centered on Carrie Preston's Elsbeth Tascioni Scores CBS Pilot Order

Matlock Reboot Starring Kathy Bates Lands Pilot Order at CBS

I really liked Carrie Preston on TGW, but I am not sure I could handle that character in anything more than small doses as an occasional guest star. 

Ordinarily a Matlock reboot would offend my sensibilities, but the idea of Kathy Bates as Matlock does pique my curiosity! 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm not sure what to think about either of these. On one hand I was like WTF then on the other I wondered if one or both might work. 

New Good Wife Spinoff Centered on Carrie Preston's Elsbeth Tascioni Scores CBS Pilot Order

Not sure an audience can handle her on a weekly basis.  They'd have to tone down her quirkiness by half.

If Dr Phil ends his show who will promote all of his family's projects?  (And all the other hangers-on who he promotes.)

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Zella said:

Ordinarily a Matlock reboot would offend my sensibilities, but the idea of Kathy Bates as Matlock does pique my curiosity! 

Kathy Bates starred as a lawyer in her own show - Harry's Law. It was cancelled due to appealing to "older" viewing demographics (hey, don't blame me, NBC said it).  Kathy Bates was "not" happy about it (link below). Wonder why they just didn't reboot (return, re-visit, re-imagine, re-whatever) that show? Actually, I do know. Matlock, unlike Harry's Law, has instant name recognition. 

https://deadline.com/2013/08/tca-kathy-bates-spits-on-nbc-555705/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, Popples said:

About 20 years too late. It disgusts me to think about all the money he's made during that show's run by exploiting peoples problems/issues on air and what was supposedly done to some guests to make them appear worse in some cases.

When guests would try to speak up for themselves about how the show and backstage employees treated them Dr. Phub (intentional spelling) would enjoy dressing them down on national TV by saying they were always lying. He'd have each employee named come out to comment on what was said about them and of Phub would only believe them so the guest on stage, studio audience and the viewers would end up with him seeming to delight in telling the other person how wrong they were for a whole segment or two.

That's just the tip of the iceberg in regards to this train wreck that lasted way too long. I'm not an Oprah hater. Having said that she helped to introduce and platform some people who ended up being quite scummy. I watched Phub for the first few years because I was young and didn't realize how manipulative he really was. I'd tune in occasionally over the years after that if there was a topic that interested me and me being curious enough to see how he'd handle it.

‘Dr. Phil’ Is Ending After Years of Scandals. ‘Good Riddance,’ Critics Say.

^ That article doesn't mention the weight loss program he endorsed in the early 2000's which resulted in a class action lawsuit. I found it hypocritical that he didn't join in and go on the program  since he could have stood to decrease his size too and it would have been a good form of self promotion. 

I'm sure the online game Bingo Blitz is sad he's ending his show since he's been a paid spokesperson for them for awhile apparently. I've played the game for years because I enjoy bingo. Only found out about them associating with him recently.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, juno said:

One of my favorites just got the canned. Pennyworth. So hard to invest in a show anymore when they get cut so fast.

‘Pennyworth’ Canceled After Three Seasons at HBO Max

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pennyworth-canceled-hbo-max-1235509799/

I guess I'd better watch it, before they remove it, since it seems that's happening with other shows. Just in case. I started watching in 2020, when they had the free month, but only managed the one episode. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Anela said:

I guess I'd better watch it, before they remove it, since it seems that's happening with other shows. Just in case. I started watching in 2020, when they had the free month, but only managed the one episode. 

I hope you like it. It is very good.

• Like 2
On 2/1/2023 at 6:30 AM, MissAlmond said:

Kathy Bates starred as a lawyer in her own show - Harry's Law. It was cancelled due to appealing to "older" viewing demographics (hey, don't blame me, NBC said it).  Kathy Bates was "not" happy about it (link below). Wonder why they just didn't reboot (return, re-visit, re-imagine, re-whatever) that show? Actually, I do know. Matlock, unlike Harry's Law, has instant name recognition. 

https://deadline.com/2013/08/tca-kathy-bates-spits-on-nbc-555705/

That explains why they added so many new younger people in season two and changed the set from the shoes/law office to a law office. I wish I was surprised. I liked it better before they did that and I was in the younger demographics.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 12/15/2022 at 11:45 PM, Jaded said:

That's part of why I stopped watching L&O: SVU the soapy drama.... Ugh.

Another part being how insufferable Saint Olivia became?  

On 2/2/2023 at 11:31 AM, proserpina65 said:

I'm not sure I'd consider 3 years "fast", but it is disappointing when something you like ends sooner than you hoped it would.

It is disappointing, but at the same time, I'd much rather a series ends after 3 short seasons leaving me wanting more, rather than dragging on year after year after year.

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

Another part being how insufferable Saint Olivia became?  

Her over used and over exaggerated for TV personal drama is what started it all on SVU before her kid even came into the picture. It's lasted way too long and turned the show into a caricature of itself. That it's been allowed to last this long concurrently while the original mothership got canned when it was still a lot more entertaining still peeves me off so much. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3
  • Applause 6

Just plain Law and Order was first; then came Criminal Intent and SVU. I liked the first years of SVU but always thought it was the weakest of the three. Yet here we are. The show needs new detective blood that brings no personal drama. Finn needs to retire. Olivia needs to sit at Kragen’s desk and manage things from there. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Just plain Law and Order was first; then came Criminal Intent and SVU. I liked the first years of SVU but always thought it was the weakest of the three. Yet here we are. The show needs new detective blood that brings no personal drama. Finn needs to retire. Olivia needs to sit at Kragen’s desk and manage things from there. 

Mothership came first: 1990

SVU came next: 1999

Criminal Intent, last in 2001.

I don't count LOLA, as THAT was the reason my beloved Mothership was cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Things aren’t looking good for a renewal of The Resident: 

https://tvline.com/2023/03/07/the-resident-cancelled-prop-sale-season-7-fox/

I got into the show late and watched it from the beginning before catching up to S6 and I feel like I haven’t enjoyed it as much since Nic was killed off. Didn’t really care about Conrad’s love triangle, and I like Kit and Bell as a couple but they don’t seem to get a lot of airtime.

Six seasons is enough. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
54 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Things aren’t looking good for a renewal of The Resident: 

https://tvline.com/2023/03/07/the-resident-cancelled-prop-sale-season-7-fox/

I got into the show late and watched it from the beginning before catching up to S6 and I feel like I haven’t enjoyed it as much since Nic was killed off. Didn’t really care about Conrad’s love triangle, and I like Kit and Bell as a couple but they don’t seem to get a lot of airtime.

Six seasons is enough. 

I agree.  I think the show has run its course.  In addition to Nic being killed off, Mina left and then AJ was tethered to annoying Padma.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Thankfully it is a prank promo for a show called Celebrity Prank Wars

Thank you!  I figured it had to be a joke but the article didn't make it seem that way at all!  Either way I won't be watching.  Prank shows are definitely on my won't watch list.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

From those ideas, I would only be interested in the Stuart one. That could be cool.

My guess is that it will be a 2 family sitcom. Sheldon and Leonard's kids hang out together, both like their dads. With wacky guest appearances from Howard and Raj. Hopefully there is minimal Amy.

3 hours ago, juno said:

My guess is that it will be a 2 family sitcom. Sheldon and Leonard's kids hang out together, both like their dads. With wacky guest appearances from Howard and Raj. Hopefully there is minimal Amy.

Considering Jim Parsons wanting to leave is what ended the show in the first place, I doubt he'd return.  And Kaley is very much into developing her own projects.  Both Mayim and Melissa have their own sitcoms.  That's why I think whatever they do is going to have to be tangential, in the way Young Sheldon is, to the main cast.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1