Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Someone told me that WGN America (News Nation) is counter programming and trying to present news in an unbiased way.  I haven't really watched it enough to recommend it.  But my initial reaction is that it feels more like news than any of the major news networks that seem more like partisan hacks screaming at everyone.  I haven't looked into it too much but it feels like they are curating stories from local news across the US and putting it into one program. But it still just feels like its just a version of the local news.

If it's OK to respond about News Nation on this thread...I agree with your take. (And I also think the "someone" in your first sentence is wrong about NN being unbiased, because what NN aggregates is the result of a selection process.) My impression based on one night when I looked in on the program: Anyone in America who is reasonably well-informed will already know everything on News Nation. It's for people who know absolutely nothing--and I suppose, sadly, there are a lot of people like that, so maybe it serves a purpose. But for all the faults of the "Big 3" news cable channels, they all do break news in addition to what else they do. The only news News Nation will "break" is news one of the Big 3 has broken.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

If it's OK to respond about News Nation on this thread...I agree with your take. (And I also think the "someone" in your first sentence is wrong about NN being unbiased, because what NN aggregates is the result of a selection process.) My impression based on one night when I looked in on the program: Anyone in America who is reasonably well-informed will already know everything on News Nation. It's for people who know absolutely nothing--and I suppose, sadly, there are a lot of people like that, so maybe it serves a purpose. But for all the faults of the "Big 3" news cable channels, they all do break news in addition to what else they do. The only news News Nation will "break" is news one of the Big 3 has broken.

I agree with you on this.  That's what I think I meant by it feeling like local news.  The one or two times I watched it was just weird to watch news without becoming totally stressed.   It may have had something to do with flipping from Don Lemon feigning outrage through extreme facial gestures and it was just a relief not to be watching that guy.

I like CNN occasionally but if you really want a different, very "plain" for lack of a better word, approach to news, have a look at the PBS bloc of international reports. At least in my area on a PBS subchannel, you can see German, French, Japanese and British perspectives on US and global news. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I agree with you on this.  That's what I think I meant by it feeling like local news.  The one or two times I watched it was just weird to watch news without becoming totally stressed.   It may have had something to do with flipping from Don Lemon feigning outrage through extreme facial gestures and it was just a relief not to be watching that guy.

Don Lemon. I avoid him (& Cuomo) like the plague. They're too much about themselves & not the topics they're covering. Watch ABC, CBS or NBC nightly broadcast for basic (nonlocal) news.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I read John King called this election "fun". Fun like a root canal. 

I saw a clip of it on one of the late night talk shows. He definitely said it.

• Love 3

I find myself tuning into CNN more often, especially in the 6-9 morning hours.  I don’t enjoy any shows that have Rick Santorum on; he has not been relevant for maybe 15 years.  Other than that, I think they are ... and always have been... the best around for handling breaking news.  They will also be in the best position, going forward, for the changing landscape of political exhaustion by viewers.  They have developed some really good series/specials.

• Love 7

I give kudos to CNN's on-scene reporters for the gauntlet they have run for the past few years. Through pepper spray/teargas, rubber bullets, hecklers, being verbally attacked and undermined by people in power, and more, they have done their jobs and reported the news. That's a cornerstone of our freedom as a nation and we forget it at our peril.

CNN as a business isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I give kudos to CNN's on-scene reporters for the gauntlet they have run for the past few years. Through pepper spray/teargas, rubber bullets, hecklers, being verbally attacked and undermined by people in power, and more, they have done their jobs and reported the news. That's a cornerstone of our freedom as a nation and we forget it at our peril.

I agree.  Except for Chris Hayes, I divorced myself from MSNBC a couple of months ago.

But let's not forget that Ali Velshi was hit in the legs with rubber bullets while covering the George Floyd story. ☹

• Love 2
On 12/4/2020 at 6:51 AM, ParadoxLost said:

Project Veritas has had someone inside CNN  recording Jeff Zucker's daily morning meeting with CNN executives for two months.  And now they are releasing the tapes.

James O'Keefe.  Project Veritas.  Enough said. 😠

• Love 3

With all of the dust that was kicked up, especially by Cuomo, regarding Miles "Anonymous" Taylor and his lie to Anderson Cooper...is Taylor still employed by CNN? I haven't seen him pop up as an expert talking head since Cuomo ripped him a new one. I appreciated his POV. 

• Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, annzeepark914 said:

He's cuttin' & pastin' the PV video as we post.

Sorry didn't get what you meant by this.  Are you just saying that he's putting them up unedited on the website.

I've listened to a couple of them.  To me what it reveals is that CNN is just like every other corporation in the world. Stuck in their own culture/bias/group think/echo chamber with a lot of executives that don't rock the boat and talk the party line.

Or in other words...

On 11/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, Ashforth said:

I disagree.  They aren't this noble and romanticized view of journalism.  I think this doesn't really exist in corporate news media.

• Love 1

Can someone who understands why Don Lemon has a job at CNN please explain it to me.

He seems like journalism's version of Zooey Deschanel.  So adorkable that its not cute. And a thousand times worse in a so called journalist compared to an actress.  He transfers a level of second hand embarrassment to me that I find him unwatchable.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Can someone who understands why Don Lemon has a job at CNN please explain it to me.

He seems like journalism's version of Zooey Deschanel.  So adorkable that its not cute. And a thousand times worse in a so called journalist compared to an actress.  He transfers a level of second hand embarrassment to me that I find him unwatchable.

I can't stand watching him. He's so pompous & condescending...and OTT effected. There must be CNN professionals who could easily replace him. They're such an impressive group.

• Love 2

I usually have CNN on at night with Anderson Cooper, Chris Cuomo & Don Lemon. Anderson is chill and says out loud what we're all thinking. Chris can get way OTT interrupting others and that really wears on me because he makes it impossible to understand what anyone is saying, but he is great at cutting through the bullshit and calling people out on it. I'm afraid he'll have a stroke or pop that bulging vein in the middle of his forehead when he gets ramped up. Don used to be the one I paid no attention to, and his "style" is totally opposite of Anderson & Chris, but I've developed an appreciation for him due to my hubby pointing out that his voice is soothing. Hubby is being treated for leukemia so whatever works positively for him, I'm all for it. Now I try to listen to Don in that way, too. Eh, doesn't usually work for me. lol

• Love 3
On 12/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, Katmai said:

Anderson is chill and says out loud what we're all thinking.

I like Anderson, a lot, but I've had to turn his show off more than once because he gets an attack of the "you know" bug.  Nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Love 3

I watched some of their show yesterday. I didn't like how they kept cutting off the various acts. But as usual Anderson and Andy were good. I do feel like they got less drunk this year then the years past. 

• Love 2

CNN just announced some new roles and schedule changes (press release).  Wolf Blitzer's weekday anchoring duties are being reduced to one hour per day, and apparently he will no longer be the lead anchor for election nights.  I've posted the entire press release, below, but have quoted it in three different sections for clarity.

Beginning in April, Jake Tapper’s program The Lead with Jake Tapper will expand to 4-6 p.m. ET nightly. In addition, he will continue in his role on Sunday mornings, now co-anchoring State of the Union with Jake Tapper and Dana Bash. He will also serve as the network’s lead anchor for all major Washington events.

Dana Bash has been named co-anchor of the network’s Sunday morning newsmaker show, now called State of the Union with Jake Tapper and Dana Bash. Tapper and Bash will each anchor two Sundays a month, beginning January 24th. In addition, Bash will continue as the network’s chief political correspondent and will also host quarterly primetime interview specials.

Wolf Blitzer will continue to anchor the network’s signature evening newscast, The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, now airing from 6-7 p.m. ET nightly. The program will be seen around the world, simulcast on the CNN US and CNN International networks. He will also have a principal anchor role for all major breaking news and continue to host CNN special reports.

Abby Phillip will become the anchor of Inside Politics Sunday with Abby Phillip, from 8-9 a.m. ET on Sundays, beginning January 24th. Phillip has also been named the network’s senior political correspondent.

John King will continue to host Inside Politics with John King weekdays from 12-1 p.m. ET. The network’s chief national correspondent, he will also continue to have a key role in all political coverage.

Jim Acosta has been named anchor and chief domestic correspondent for CNN. His anchoring duties will be on the weekends with more details coming soon.

Pamela Brown will become the anchor of CNN Newsroom on Saturdays and Sundays from 6-9 p.m. ET, beginning January 23rd. Brown will also serve as a senior Washington correspondent for CNN.

Additionally, Kaitlan Collins is set to be the next chief White House correspondent, per the Washington Post's Erik Wemple.

Edit:  CNN's Brian Stelter has an article with additional details, confirming Blitzer's exit from anchoring election night coverage.

CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker, in making the announcements Monday morning, told staffers that Blitzer will remain with CNN for a long time to come.

The article also lists new roles for other correspondents/reporters:

Arlette Saenz will become a White House correspondent alongside Jeremy Diamond, John Harwood, MJ Lee and Kate Bennett. Jasmine Wright will become a White House reporter alongside Kevin Liptak. And Jessica Dean and Ryan Nobles, two veterans of the campaign trail, will move to Capitol Hill alongside Raju, Lauren Fox, and Daniella Diaz.

Congressional correspondent Phil Mattingly will become a senior White House correspondent. "The Hill will always be my home and my love for the Capitol has only grown in the last 5 days," Mattingly tweeted, referencing last week's riot, which he covered live. "But stoked to move back down the street and work with these folks."

All of the correspondent changes will take effect on Inauguration Day. "Joe Johns will remain senior Washington correspondent and will shift his focus from the White House to a variety of Washington-related stories," CNN's press release said. "Sunlen Serfaty will become Washington correspondent covering Washington at large. Suzanne Malveaux will continue in her role as national correspondent."

Stelter's article specifically mentions that "further announcements are expected about time slots and anchor roles in other cities."

Edited by Just Here
added article link and quotes
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

When Jim Acosta replaces Wolf, I'll watch CNN more. I just can't handle listening to that voice droning on & on. 

It’s kind of a loud droning, which is weird.  Like he’s yelling with no inflection.  The way I talk really loud to relatives who are hard of hearing.

More Jake Tapper is always a good thing 💕

• Love 12

I'm watching the new press secretary Jen Psaki right now.  I can imagine she's a bit nervous being new, but I hope she can get over saying "uhh" every other word.  I just hope she calms down because, otherwise, I won't be able to listen to her in the future.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm watching the new press secretary Jen Psaki right now.  I can imagine she's a bit nervous being new, but I hope she can get over saying "uhh" every other word.  I just hope she calms down because, otherwise, I won't be able to listen to her in the future.

Also fiddling with her hair. Otherwise I like her.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Agreed. And I wish Erin would stop saying "Right?" so often during interviews. To me it diminishes her credibility.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, annzeepark914 said:

When Jim Acosta replaces Wolf, I'll watch CNN more. I just can't handle listening to that voice droning on & on. 

Agree.  However CNN has a lot of talented people they can use instead of Wolf.

Just because Wolf's been there forever,  at 72, it's time to replace him with someone younger and more energetic. 

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 12:04 AM, RealHousewife said:

Chris Cuomo is incredibly cute. He has to be one of the best looking anchors. 

I agree, I’ll give him second place after Jake Tapper who reminds me of the actor William Holden.

Cuomo loses point due to wardrobe- why does he wear the same suit every day?? Is he making a statement, or is he just lazy? Is it one suit, or does he have a closet full of them?

😂 it reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry dates a woman who wears the same dress every day.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

His one undertaker suit is 'his thing.'  He jokes about it often.  A while back when Dr. Fauci was on, he told him to go and buy a new suit.  I don't mind it.  I find it oddly comforting in its consistency, lol.  I also think Cuomo is the only nightly show worth watching anymore. 

I really appreciate the fact that he is such a great speaker.  Anderson has picked up some really horrible vocal ticks in the last few years and I can't listen to him stammer and stutter his way through his shows anymore.  Lots of errs, uhhhs, and a way too many you knows.  Chris does none of that.

• Love 4

I've sort of lost my luv for Jake in the past year. He comes across as sour (can't think of a better word right now). I don't think he's always projected this... attitude? image? whatever, as I used to really like him. Of course, he's a lot more palatable than the wolf man!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cementhead said:

His one undertaker suit is 'his thing.'  He jokes about it often.  A while back when Dr. Fauci was on, he told him to go and buy a new suit.  I don't mind it.  I find it oddly comforting in its consistency, lol.  I also think Cuomo is the only nightly show worth watching anymore. 

I really appreciate the fact that he is such a great speaker.  Anderson has picked up some really horrible vocal ticks in the last few years and I can't listen to him stammer and stutter his way through his shows anymore.  Lots of errs, uhhhs, and a way too many you knows.  Chris does none of that.

I've noticed many hosts/pundits use lots of uhh and um. They could be smart people, but boy is it annoying! I struggle with this myself, but it becomes worse when I listen to people who stutter a ton. I have been trying to minimize their shows. Chris is a really good speaker. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Anderson has picked up some really horrible vocal ticks in the last few years and I can't listen to him stammer and stutter his way through his shows anymore.  Lots of errs, uhhhs, and a way too many you knows.  Chris does none of that.

I attribute some of that to hanging around Andy Cohen too much....😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I attribute some of that to hanging around Andy Cohen too much....😆

Can you picture Anderson throwing shade against political figures, playing a who'd you rather game about them, or which President's crotch is that? lol It could be so much worse guys, so much worse. 

• LOL 1

Unfortunately, I've noticed the uhh and um too.  Even press secretary Jen Psaki does it, to the extent that I find it difficult to listen to her for any length of time.   I'd add the mayor of DC, and a local news anchor.  One would think that since they're on television they'd be aware enough to correct it, but I think their assistants or producers are reluctant to tell them about it. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 2

Something's going on with Anderson Cooper.  Late this afternoon he mistakenly referred to a guest on his show as (the name of the first attorney for Trump at today's trial).  Also, AC's stumbling over words.  Either he's staying up too late to play with his adorable baby & is tired, or he's just not paying attention to detail, something anchors must keep up with.

• Love 2