Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, tres bien said:

The new morning show starting on November 1st looks awful. I can't spend my morning with Don Lemon, Poppy Harlow and Kaitlyn Collins sitting around and "having a conversation" per Don Lemon. 

Makes it sound like they'll be going to a morning couch with Donnie in the middle. Maybe a cooking segment in the 3rd hour?

• Sad 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

The new morning show starting on November 1st looks awful. I can't spend my morning with Don Lemon, Poppy Harlow and Kaitlyn Collins sitting around and "having a conversation" per Don Lemon. 

1 hour ago, SG429 said:

Makes it sound like they'll be going to a morning couch with Donnie in the middle. Maybe a cooking segment in the 3rd hour?

Funny you both should mention this because just this morning my husband and I said that if we wanted to watch The Today Show, we'd already be watching The Today Show.  My husband even snarked that maybe they can get Matt Lauer and Katie Couric to come join them on the couch. 

The promo spots they keep running are not good.  As mentioned, Don wants to 'have a conversation,' Poppy says that 'people just want to be heard.'  Nope and nope!  At 6am, I just want someone boring to read me the news in a soothing and/or monotone voice with no added thoughts, feelings or personal conjecture.  And they're already doing the requisite age jokes with Kaitlan in the promos.  The she's so young! and they're so old! crap.  Total vapid morning show fluff circa 1999.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Cementhead said:

The promo spots they keep running are not good.  As mentioned, Don wants to 'have a conversation,' Poppy says that 'people just want to be heard.'  Nope and nope! 

You'd think they at least could come up with a less cliché way of describing it. We've been having "national conversations" since Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, and the promise of "being heard" has been offered ad infinitum since the late 20th century.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Today is the last day of New Day with John Berman and Brianna Keilar. 

John seems to have been given a pm show but haven't seen any mention of Brianna. I'm unhappy because she's definitely one of the better hosts 

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

Today is the last day of New Day with John Berman and Brianna Keilar. 

John seems to have been given a pm show but haven't seen any mention of Brianna. I'm unhappy because she's definitely one of the better hosts 

Brianna had better get something. All this to placate Lemon. Will not watch.

• Like 2

I messed up. I'm so used to posting via a smartphone that when I tried on my laptop, I really messed things up. **Anyway** I had noticed, while watching the promos, that Lemon is trying very hard to look as tho' he's delighted to be doing an early morning show. I bet he's seething inside over his demotion.

• LOL 2

Just another day that ends in a Y on CNN.  Another day, another typo.  I was barely even watching this morning and I saw the word MISSSLES across the screen as I walked on by. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Sad 2
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Just another day that ends in a Y on CNN.  Another day, another typo.  I was barely even watching this morning and I saw the word MISSSLES across the screen as I walked on by. 

It couldn’t be worse than all typos on MSNBC. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Kemper said:

It couldn’t be worse than all typos on MSNBC. 

Even Velshi made excuses this week when they gave the wrong last name and he said "it happens sometimes here." The guest had to tell him her last name.

• Mind Blown 2
On 10/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, tres bien said:

About the reports of CNN possibly cutting back on documentaries. It's a shame. CNN documentaries on Lincoln and RBG (for instance) have been so well done. 

Well fortunately PBS still has Ken Burns.

I did not know this.  I am so bummed about it.  I've loved their documentaries.

• Love 1

Maybe there would be money for documentaries if there was less money spent on constant tinkering with the (some cases) stale on-air talent and programming. Constant shuffling of people and programs is exhausting to the viewers. And I don’t know who thought another 3-hour morning gabfest was a good idea. I hope Brianna Keiler lands on her feet because she deserves it. I really liked her in the mornings.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Since Jake Tapper's doing a pm show Brianna Keilar has been doing his old time slot. Wonder if this will be permanent?

I saw John Berman in the evening too. It may have been after Anderson.

And CNBC cancelled Shepherd Smith's show. I watched it once. Didn't like it.

Edited by tres bien

I have a feeling this is unpopular but I like Chris Cuomo.  Maybe rating are bad because NewsNation is kind of an obscure channel and people would rather stay with a more popular network?  I don’t know.  I’m still trying to wrap my brain around Lemon in the morning.  Seems like a weird fit but we’ll see.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, non sequitur said:

Now Jake Tapper's out in the PM slot due to weak ratings.

Maybe that'll wipe some of the smug off Tapper's face.  I totally knew that new Mr. Boss Man was trying to turn Tapper into Mr. CNN.  Glad to hear the viewers weren't having it. 

• Applause 1
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Fredericka Whitfield has quite the cocktail dress on today, with a low neckline. Looks so professional with the mega long tresses. 

Did she look like she worked on Fox? lol I don't know if they still do, but some of their hosts used to dress like they were going out on a date or something. 

The new morning show with Don Lemon and the two ladies is awful.  Please bring back Berman and Brianna! I just want to hear straight reportage of the news, with occasional experts joining for brief discussions of major of-the-moment topics. I do not wish to have any conversations with Lemon or any other anchor-journalist-reporter, I don't expect this trio to "hear" me, even if I yell at the television, and I don't want to hear the "youngster" constantly say "of course." Please return to a morning news and weather program and give us journalism rather than entertainment or therapy.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, moosegal said:

The new morning show with Don Lemon and the two ladies is awful.  Please bring back Berman and Brianna! I just want to hear straight reportage of the news, with occasional experts joining for brief discussions of major of-the-moment topics. I do not wish to have any conversations with Lemon or any other anchor-journalist-reporter, I don't expect this trio to "hear" me, even if I yell at the television, and I don't want to hear the "youngster" constantly say "of course." Please return to a morning news and weather program and give us journalism rather than entertainment or therapy.

Thank you for the review. I haven't turned in and don't intend to.

I agree and it's infuriating to me that JB and Brianna were thrown under the bus

• Love 3

I was a fan of Chris. I was pissed off he was fired. Didn't see Jeffrey Tobin get tossed for his behavior.

I've watched his News Nationa show but somehow just like Ashley Banfield going there from HLN it's just not the same. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tres bien said:

I was a fan of Chris. I was pissed off he was fired. Didn't see Jeffrey Tobin get tossed for his behavior.

I've watched his News Nationa show but somehow just like Ashley Banfield going there from HLN it's just not the same. 

I liked Chris on CNN too. Thought he was the most talented anchor. Don't have News Nation. 

• Love 2

Who'll be next to go by choice?

In the past week Ryan Nobles left for NBC and Laura Jarrett is going to NBC as well in January.

Brianna is nowhere to be seen (although I watch so little of CNN anymore she may be relegated to some obscure hours) and John Berman has been manning the "big board" when John King's not around. 🙁

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

CNN I am ready to tune in when you decide what you want to be. I ditched Morning Joe because you had a more well-rounded, trying to cover actual news network. Instead I get Don Lemon and two women (sadly can’t remember their names) doing a Today-GMA-MJ copy. Judging from the ratings “demos” you are outpacing MSNBC. So that means that maybe you are attracting a younger audience.  Maybe they want to see more actual news and not all politics all the time. So get yourself together! Go back to your roots; the ratings may not be great at first but you are already in third place behind MSNBC and Fox. What could it hurt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1