Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I hope John Harwood ends up at MSNBC. CNN is going down a strange path. I expect Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon to get the boot next

I dunno about Anderson (possibly due to him being a Vanderbilt, is well-known aside from CNN, etc?) but Don Lemon might be next. It can't be fun being an on-air talent at CNN these days. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I had always assumed that Anderson Cooper was going to be the next Wolf Blitzer, so to speak, and become the face of the network as time went on.  Wrong.  Seems as though Jake Tapper is being given the keys to that castle. 

The only time we watch CNN anymore is in the mornings when we are getting ready for work.  No more prime time hours for us.  I miss the hell out of Chris Cuomo.  There, I said it.  And I make no apologies for it.  I loved watching Anderson for years but he's become so stammery & stuttery that I have hard time listening to him speak.  I've always really liked Laura Coates so I'm happy to see her get that 9pm time slot whether it's permanent or not, I'm not sure, but the days of me watching CNN every night are over.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I had always assumed that Anderson Cooper was going to be the next Wolf Blitzer, so to speak, and become the face of the network as time went on.  Wrong.  Seems as though Jake Tapper is being given the keys to that castle. 

The only time we watch CNN anymore is in the mornings when we are getting ready for work.  No more prime time hours for us.  I miss the hell out of Chris Cuomo.  There, I said it.  And I make no apologies for it.  I loved watching Anderson for years but he's become so stammery & stuttery that I have hard time listening to him speak.  I've always really liked Laura Coates so I'm happy to see her get that 9pm time slot whether it's permanent or not, I'm not sure, but the days of me watching CNN every night are over.

I am aware of the controversy, but Chris was my favorite CNN host too. 

• Love 6

Well, I'll be surprised if Jake Tapper survives The Purge because IMO he makes it quite obvious how he feels about current politics. If I were the head of CNN, I'd give a couple of prime time hours (6 PM to 8PM) of pure straight news reporting to Jim Sciutto. He has a pleasant voice & demeanor. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don’t like where CNN might be headed. There has to be a better mix of news and politics. Annzeepark - the idea of a news show in the evening is a really good one. I do think the 8-10…7-9 slots might be good. Have a news/magazine type show. News, weather headlines, sprinkle in some sports of the day, some human interest clips, medical news, and a  segment (not overly long) on politics . Have guests that are not political pundits. Authors, sportscasters and athletes, a mild sprinkling of celebs, economists, doctors, etc.  Local news shows do much of this every night; with less resources.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, RealHousewife said:

I am aware of the controversy, but Chris was my favorite CNN host too. 

I read that he’s getting his own evening show on (News Max? News Nation? One of those) in the fall.

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Caitlin did a great job as anchor from 4-5:00 today. Looked & sounded professional. 

I like her, she was filling in for Abby Philip’s show when Abby was on maternity leave.  And on a shallow note she has great hair lol

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I read that he’s getting his own evening show on (News Max? News Nation? One of those) in the fall.

I think it's NewsNation. Same network legal reporter Dan Abrams (whom I like) is on.

They're really trying to make NewsNation a thing. I don't know if it's going to work but I wish them well. In some way their stated goal (whether they always live up to it or not) is similar to what CNN is rumored to be trying to achieve.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Has Anderson gotten worse in his on-air speaking? I had to switch networks a little while ago as he would start talking, then stop, then say a few words, stop, etc. Actually, he's been speaking this way for a long time only it's gotten to the point that it's now impossible for me to listen to him. And I've always liked him😟

• Love 1

What a hot mess. Reshuffling the hosts in some kind of musical chairs is not going to improve anything. I don't even think I want it to change.

The weak links start later in the morning after Jim Scuitto and Poppy Harlow. And the afternoon shows are waste.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Don't like Lemon at all. He just gave an interview saying leaving primetime to mornings is not a demotion. He also said they were making a show "around me". So Poppy and Caitlin are supposed to be props for him. Pompous, egotistical ass that he is. He had the lowest rated cable show in primetime. They should have let him go.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, rcc said:

Don't like Lemon at all. He just gave an interview saying leaving primetime to mornings is not a demotion. He also said they were making a show "around me". So Poppy and Caitlin are supposed to be props for him. Pompous, egotistical ass that he is. He had the lowest rated cable show in primetime. They should have let him go.

He said that? He's always been smug but saying CNN is creating a show around him really takes the cake. I still can't believe they're putting their chief White House correspondent on a morning show. Caitlin deserves her own show. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Putting Lemon on a morning show is ridiculous.  He’s so low energy and - quite appropriate considering his name - always has a sour face.

What is going on???  CNN is like reality-show level messy right now...

• Love 3
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I still can't believe they're putting their chief White House correspondent on a morning show. Caitlin deserves her own show. 

Don, Poppy and Kaitlan is such a random trio to put together, and to chain Kaitlan to the news desk for 3 hours every morning?  WTF.  Don might be protesting too much that he hasn't been demoted but I wonder if Kaitlan feels like she has. 

Can Don Lemon even handle having co-anchors?  And 3 people is 1 or even 2 too many that early in the morning.  I just want to hear the news being reported that early, I am not interested in mindless chatter and banter which I am sure will be plentiful with this set-up.

Me thinks the man doth protest too much. 3 minutes worth.

4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Don, Poppy and Kaitlan is such a random trio to put together, and to chain Kaitlan to the news desk for 3 hours every morning?  WTF.  Don might be protesting too much that he hasn't been demoted but I wonder if Kaitlan feels like she has. 

I think this might possibly be a step up for Kaitlan at least in terms of screen time and salary.  She’s young and hopefully will eventually be prime time (maybe even somewhere other than CNN if it continues to go downhill)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I think this might possibly be a step up for Kaitlan at least in terms of screen time and salary. 

Yes, that's true, I hadn't stopped to consider that her salary will grow to reflect the extra hours on air she will have now.  And I suppose there is also the stability factor of her knowing where she will be now that would be appealing. 

I was just so thrilled for her when she was named Chief White House correspondent and thought it was a really big deal for her to get but maybe I am putting more importance on it than it deserves.  

• Like 2

Maybe damming with faint praise, but this network’s coverage was perhaps slightly better than the Morning Joe crew. (the Queen’s funeral)

Edited by Kemper
Added last sentence
  • Wink 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't handle M Joe & his peculiar sidekick. Are they still broadcasting from separate studios? 

It is like watching a live version of Where’s Waldo. Some days they appear side-by-side in their home “studio” with the same backdrop. Some days they sit side-by-side with each having a different backdrop. We know this because occasionally her hand is in view. Some days one is in Florida while the other is in New York. Etc.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

It is like watching a live version of Where’s Waldo. Some days they appear side-by-side in their home “studio” with the same backdrop. Some days they sit side-by-side with each having a different backdrop. We know this because occasionally her hand is in view. Some days one is in Florida while the other is in New York. Etc.

Why does MSNBC put up with this? Are their ratings that good?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

Tapper's getting Cuomo's former time slot.  The coveted 9pm - 10pm.    

https://nypost.com/2022/09/22/jake-tapper-to-take-chris-cuomos-old-cnn-primetime-slot-reports/

Who's getting the 4:00-6:00 PM slot? So glad I won't have to hear that irritating voice any more (my husband's always saying, "What's on CNN?" while I'm watching Deadline White House 😡). I hope it'll be Jim Sciutto.

I like Jake Tapper, but what’s even better is that Lemon’s old slot will be taken over by two women 🎉 

Serves Lemon right after his sexist remark that S.E. Cupp lost her train of thought because she had ‘mommy brain’

Edited by Kiki777
Hit submit too soon
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who's getting the 4:00-6:00 PM slot? So glad I won't have to hear that irritating voice any more (my husband's always saying, "What's on CNN?" while I'm watching Deadline White House 😡). I hope it'll be Jim Sciutto.

"Never mind" (as Emily Litella used to say). I like Berman & Keilar so I can happily switch back & forth from 4-5 PM. 

• Love 1
On 9/27/2022 at 9:03 PM, tres bien said:

As a long time supporter of The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation I was thankful that Anderson gave this topic the attention it deserves 

There's something special about Anderson Cooper. I've always liked him. That's why I wish someone would give him a heads up re: his nonsmooth delivery. He's so down to earth for someone who grew up as a Vanderbilt.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's something special about Anderson Cooper. I've always liked him. That's why I wish someone would give him a heads up re: his nonsmooth delivery. He's so down to earth for someone who grew up as a Vanderbilt.

I think he relates more to the Cooper side of the family than the Vanderbilt. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When I first saw this story a few days ago it mentioned that his travel plans had somehow diverted/changed. And that he was traveling home with another CNN employee when he fell. The whole thing was confusing. There was veiled innuendo; but about what I have no idea.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1

That sucks because I've really enjoyed a lot of their films and doc series. It sounds like they won't stop entirely, but they will reduce the output and try to find ways to do it in a less costly manner. It sounds like they want to do more in-house as apparently 3rd party commissions keep increasing in cost

• Sad 4

In a way I'm p*ssed (I've really enjoyed Stanley Tucci's mini series). But, if CNN is reverting to being strictly news, I understand their bowing out of shows like Tucci's, & the Bourdain series from a few years ago. Does CNN still own HLN? That could be a site for these non-news shows.

23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

In a way I'm p*ssed (I've really enjoyed Stanley Tucci's mini series). But, if CNN is reverting to being strictly news, I understand their bowing out of shows like Tucci's, & the Bourdain series from a few years ago. Does CNN still own HLN? That could be a site for these non-news shows.

The reason they went to these doc shows in the first place was to help keep viewers when there wasn't breaking news going on. They could probably reduce the more fluffy stuff and beef up actual news reporting, but as I said above, it sounds like they want to just cut back, not eliminate altogether, and cut costs

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 3