Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

This is all Zucker's doing: CC having his own show but unable to focus on a top story (along with CNN allowing the perv Toomey to return). As soon as Zucker is gone (end of 2021?), I expect major changes (at least I hope so).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This is all Zucker's doing: CC having his own show but unable to focus on a top story...

Just asking though, does it really matter if CC covers the AC scandal when it's being covered before him and after him? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. There are many other issues out there, and no shortage of AC coverage. 

Where I would see a problem is if CC did attempt to cover the AC story. 

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I agree. I think Chris is a talented guy, and as long as CNN is covering his brother, I have no problem with him keeping his show. I also wouldn't go to him for news about his brother. Let someone without a bias do AC stories. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

A surgeon wouldn't operate on a family member, a judge wouldn't preside over a case involving someone they had a relationship with, etc. Nobody thinks they should lose their jobs because they can't cover those particular cases. As soon as AC became a scandalous news story, he shouldn't have been covered by CC, and he wasn't. For one hour a day. One. There is plenty of coverage on that story on all the other CNN programs, and plenty of other news for CC to cover on his show. Calls for CC to lose his job seem more than a bit ridiculous to me.

• Love 17
On 8/5/2021 at 10:55 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Just asking though, does it really matter if CC covers the AC scandal when it's being covered before him and after him? 

CC and Don Lemon are not, I believe, classified as news shows. They are opinion shows. I don’t think CNN need CCs opinion on his brother nor do I think he probably wants to share that with the world. 

• Love 5

Anderson Cooper has a book out about his family, The Rise & Fall of an American Dynasty (written with Katherine Howe). It was reviewed in today's Washington Post by Christopher Buckley, who liked it. As Cooper says, nobody could go through millions of dollars like the Vanderbilts. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anderson Cooper has a book out about his family, The Rise & Fall of an American Dynasty (written with Katherine Howe). It was reviewed in today's Washington Post by Christopher Buckley, who liked it. As Cooper says, nobody could go through millions of dollars like the Vanderbilts. 

He was on with Stephen Colbert talking about the book and gave some humorous (if somewhat disturbing) anecdotes about his mom:

• Love 7

I love Anderson's stories about his life with mom, Gloria. He once said that he always had to beg her to wear something *plain* whenever she'd come to his school (for plays,events, etc,). Otherwise, she'd show up in an OTT outfit + a *huge* hat, embarrassing the heck out of him. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

God, I love Anderson. What a well-grounded individual he is. He is a great talk show guest. He's great too when he fills in with Kelly Ripe on Live. 

But the giggle is what I really love.

There are tons more on YouTube if you need a laugh.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 5

Tuned in this morning at the 7:00 hour…and who do I see, sitting at a desk, being interviewed in person? Al Franken. He was engaging, the hosts were invested, and it was an informative interview with a bit of humor thrown in. This what I think a morning news and information show should be about.  

• Love 8
On 11/30/2021 at 6:17 PM, HyeChaps said:

Chris did his radio program at noon today on SIRIUS XM.  Wonder about tomorrow.

When all of this was blowing up the first time, I heard him on his radio show saying (I paraphrase), "I make no apologies for helping my brother. He's my brother. You'd do the same thing, and if you wouldn't, there's something wrong with you." And I have to say, I resonated to that.

If he was obstructing justice, that's another story, but I'm not sure he's accused of that.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

When all of this was blowing up the first time, I heard him on his radio show saying (I paraphrase), "I make no apologies for helping my brother. He's my brother. You'd do the same thing, and if you wouldn't, there's something wrong with you." And I have to say, I resonated to that.

If he was obstructing justice, that's another story, but I'm not sure he's accused of that.

But he's in the news business, an occupation that requires one to come across as honest,  trustworthy, upright, etc., etc., etc. And there he was, advising his brother how to get around  multiple accusations of sexual harassment (& even groping). So, if/when he goes after questionable actions of government officials, politicians in the future, they'll be able to throw his critical comments right back at him.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

😮 Chris Wallace is leaving Fox News for CNN!! So juicy.  Would love to be a fly on the wall at Fox right now....

Isn't he the only person on Fox who's respectable? I wonder if they'll replace him with someone of quality or someone like Tucker Carlson or the fools on Fox & Friends, but I digress. I will check out his show on CNN.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

😮 Chris Wallace is leaving Fox News for CNN!! So juicy.  Would love to be a fly on the wall at Fox right now....

Yay! I've always wondered how CW could stomach being over there amongst those nutty conspiracy folks.  I'd like to see him get Cuomo's time slot. Then I'd have a nighttime news show to watch (love Rachel, she's brilliant, but her delivery drives me crazy).  This is going to be interesting, watching CNN make a lot of changes.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh no...he's planning to do something with the streaming service so...no CW show 😟. Rats!

Boo! Just read that too.  I don’t get any streaming and it would have been nice.  I do wonder then who will get the 9pm slot.  Hopefully they don’t just bump up Don Lemon 😴 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just today saw another raspy-voiced, British reporter...this time for MSNBC, Keir Simmons. He sounded (& almost looks like CNN's Richard Quest, another raspy-voiced Brit). There's one more reporter, same type of voice and British accent but I can't think of his name or recall which of the two networks he works for (I think it's CNN). But he's usually in California, covering events out there. When I heard Simmons, I wondered if he & the guy in CA are trying to sound like Quest.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Oh no...he's planning to do something with the streaming service so...no CW show 😟. Rats!

The idea of streaming primetime news is right up there with jabbing long sharp needles into my eyes, as Michael O'Donoghue used to say. Streaming is for series and movies! Just me? Maybe. But if a lot of people are like me, CNN+ will fail and take CW down with it, unless he jumps ship in time.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Bummer! Chris Wallace is basically the only one on Fox I liked. 

Cuomo was my favorite CNN host. I wonder who will eventually get his time slot. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, freddi said:

Is there a thread for AC360 or the New Year's Eve show?  Seems like there must be, but I've searched every way I can think.  

Because you asked...

It's almost unwatchable...

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Because you asked...

It's almost unwatchable...

Thanks!  I got lucky, and saw the section where Amanda Gorman read her poem for the new year.  Then I just needed something silly on while I cooked.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I hope this is good news for CNN. Actually, I'd like it if they reverted to mostly round the clock news. That's how it started out. Now, every hour seems to be opinion shows (something one can get at MSNBC). 

I love this idea; all opinion/all the time is exhausting. No network does actual news better than CNN; this is obvious when there is breaking news or a crisis in the world. It would be a nice change if programming was not marketed and based as host-driven; sadly, I think that ship has sailed. Could all-or-mostly hard news bring in viewers from the other two 24/7 “news” networks?  I guess that is the question.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

t would be a nice change if programming was not marketed and based as host-driven; sadly, I think that ship has sailed.

I hope you're wrong about the ship having sailed. (Although I fear you're right.) If we must have host-driven shows, Aaron Brown was a great example of a CNN host whom one watched because he was Aaron Brown running a show that was actually journalism.

• Love 2

I sorta feel guilty asking...but does anyone think they'll air Stanley Tucci's show tomorrow night? I need a little pick-me-up, after all the horrid stuff we're seeing right now. Just an hour of Tucci, showing off the glories of Italy, would be so wonderful.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I sorta feel guilty asking...but does anyone think they'll air Stanley Tucci's show tomorrow night? I need a little pick-me-up, after all the horrid stuff we're seeing right now. Just an hour of Tucci, showing off the glories of Italy, would be so wonderful.

The series has been delayed until "later in the spring".  Tomorrow night, the Anthony Bourdain doc will air.  So that's...something. 

• Love 1
On 2/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I hope you're wrong about the ship having sailed. (Although I fear you're right.) If we must have host-driven shows, Aaron Brown was a great example of a CNN host whom one watched because he was Aaron Brown running a show that was actually journalism.

CNN's ratings appear to be up with the heavy coverage of the Ukraine War. Ongoing news crisises are their bread and butter and with new owners, who apparently didn't like Zucker or his opinion-heavy format, I think more news coverage and less opinion stuff will be back in style.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, DanaK said:

CNN's ratings appear to be up with the heavy coverage of the Ukraine War. Ongoing news crisises are their bread and butter and with new owners, who apparently didn't like Zucker or his opinion-heavy format, I think more news coverage and less opinion stuff will be back in style.

Good. But then they may need to have a chat with Jake Tapper. He has always appeared so sour & grumpy during his show (aside from covering the war in Ukraine). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I heard that the new owners (Discovery Network) are looking to sell CNN to yet some other new owners! I share your hope that the new new owners (whoever they turn out to be) will have the same inclinations.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, DanaK said:

And what's really good about a "more news" format is that it'll hopefully draw some folks away from Fox (which is 99% opinion) by offering straight news/much less opinion. 

• Love 2

CNN has been beating MSNBC a lot lately in the all-important Demos during the day;  a positive step forward.  Hopefully any new owner will realize they might be on to something by going back to the basics.     

• Love 4
On 2/27/2022 at 5:42 AM, Kemper said:

I love this idea; all opinion/all the time is exhausting. No network does actual news better than CNN; this is obvious when there is breaking news or a crisis in the world. It would be a nice change if programming was not marketed and based as host-driven; sadly, I think that ship has sailed. Could all-or-mostly hard news bring in viewers from the other two 24/7 “news” networks?  I guess that is the question.

I am watching more CNN than usual. I also watch France 2 since I speak French. Their reporters are embedded with the military & they are more detailed than virtually all American news networks.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2022 at 2:38 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Just saw a commercial - Stanley will be on starting May 1st! 

• Love 2
On 4/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, oakville said:

I am watching more CNN than usual. I also watch France 2 since I speak French. Their reporters are embedded with the military & they are more detailed than virtually all American news networks.

I watch CNN more and more lately, too. 

• Love 3