Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

On 3/25/2019 at 12:29 PM, Cementhead said:

HEY!  Michael Smerconish.  See that little black thing clipped onto the front of your shirt?  That's called a microphone.  It's there so that you don't have to YELL.  Jeez.  This guy is the definition of blowhard.  Use your inside voice. Michael. 

Also, did Gloria Borger get filler in her cheeks or is it just me?  Please let it just be me.  Because I don't think I want to live in a world where even Gloria friggin' Borger succumbs to pillow face.  I just can't.

It's not just you.  She looks like a chipmunk.

• Love 4

Who is the woman subbing for Wolf? I don't know if it's just me, but I find her abrupt and her voice is harsh (but then, I'm annoyed by Wolf's monitone). She doesn't seem to know how to conduct interviews. I'll take Wolf any day over his fill-in! 

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who is the woman subbing for Wolf? I don't know if it's just me, but I find her abrupt and her voice is harsh (but then, I'm annoyed by Wolf's monitone). She doesn't seem to know how to conduct interviews. I'll take Wolf any day over his fill-in! 

I assume you're talking about Brianna Keilar.  Wolf doesn't anchor the 1:00 pm eastern news hour anymore, Brianna took it over months ago. 

Wolf is on the Situation Room today.  He's on as I'm typing.

1 hour ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I assume you're talking about Brianna Keilar.  Wolf doesn't anchor the 1:00 pm eastern news hour anymore, Brianna took it over months ago. 

Wolf is on the Situation Room today.  He's on as I'm typing.

Oh, I'm sorry...I meant subbing for Wolf at 5:00 & 6 PM for the past few days, not today.  I don't watch TV in the early afternoon so I didn't know she had a show (or that Wolf used to host an early show). 

• Useful 1

Gloria Borger.  I remember back in the day when she'd be on Washington Week in Review. In her younger years, she was interesting to listen to and attractive.  Today?  I dread seeing her on Wolf's show because once it's her "turn" to talk, she goes on and on and on. And I know this is petty, but her recent plastic surgery has caused her mouth to tip sideways at times when she talks...almost cartoonishly. It's really distracting (and quite weird).  But they must like her at CNN cause she's almost always on one panel or another.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Gloria Borger.  I remember back in the day when she'd be on Washington Week in Review. In her younger years, she was interesting to listen to and attractive.  Today?  I dread seeing her on Wolf's show because once it's her "turn" to talk, she goes on and on and on. And I know this is petty, but her recent plastic surgery has caused her mouth to tip sideways at times when she talks...almost cartoonishly. It's really distracting (and quite weird).  But they must like her at CNN cause she's almost always on one panel or another.

I think they like her because she hails originally from the Republican/conservative side (if memory serves, she made her name as a reporter for U.S News and World Report), yet she sees things from a relatively objective, fact-based, undogmatic point of view. Like, she sees her job primarily as being that of a reporter, not a spokesperson. Go figure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm a fan of Sanjay Gupta when he's doing doctor things. But CNN's obsession to give him his own shows is not of interest to me. 

They think they have a void to fill since they lost Anthony Bourdain. But JMO sorry, Sanjay's not doing it for me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stormy said:

I'm a fan of Sanjay Gupta when he's doing doctor things. But CNN's obsession to give him his own shows is not of interest to me. 

They think they have a void to fill since they lost Anthony Bourdain. But JMO sorry, Sanjay's not doing it for me.

I miss Anthony Bourdain's show. I was hoping they could do a follow up series.

• Love 4
On 4/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Cementhead said:

Does it drive anyone else crazy that Sanjay Gupta pronounces the word also as alt-so?  David Axelrod and Marco Rubio altso do this and it is nails-on-a-chalkboard to my ears.

Uh-oh. I never noticed. Now I'll surely hear it & it will bug me big time. Where did these folks find that "t"?

• LOL 1

Did anyone happen to watch Apollo 11 on CNN last night?  

I thought it was very well done.  I was 2 when they landed on the moon and of course learned about it in school growing up.  The footage was just amazing and I was sucked in the whole 2 hrs.  Just curious on your thoughts? 

I know people boohoo CNN obviously for political reasons, but they present very good documentaries.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MissT said:

I thought it was very well done.  I was 2 when they landed on the moon and of course learned about it in school growing up.  The footage was just amazing and I was sucked in the whole 2 hrs.  Just curious on your thoughts? 

I know people boohoo CNN obviously for political reasons, but they present very good documentaries.

I did.

Although I'd already seen at an IMAX theater.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, MissT said:

I so wanted to see this in the theater and wasn't able to, so I'm glad CNN ran it.  It was fascinating,and the visuals were stunning.  My childhood hero is Neil Armstrong, and my first memory is of watching him walk on the moon, so getting to see all the behind the scenes footage was very moving for me.

• Love 3

The forum moderators are asking that all posters please familiarize yourself with the policy here:  This policy will be strictly enforced in this topic, and warnings will be handed out to violators.

We have allowed a lot of leeway and we have simply hidden posts that were off topic from the business of CNN. Going forward, hiding will happen in tandem with a warning being handed out. Please note; this is NOT the place to discuss what happens ON THE AIR at CNN. There are many other sites on the internet where you can do that.

Thank you.

@Lisin & @saoirse

On 7/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, stormy said:

I'm looking forward to CNN's movie series that's starting tomorrow!

I was throughly bored with it. I didn't last a half hour. Won't be tuning in again.

Just a reminder that CNN's Halston special premiers this Sunday.  I personally cannot wait.  I watched Joe Zee interviewed this morning and he told the best story about the hat that Halston designed for Jackie O for the inauguration.  She had a hard time keeping it in place because of the wind and ended up denting it a bit and the next day the knock off designers copied the inadvertent dent.  I love stories like that.  Should be a great show.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tres bien said:

Sorry to hear about the passing of Bobbie Batista ☹

I remember seeing her co-anchor the news with Charlie Gaddy on WRAL-TV in Raleigh back in the day.  She was very impressive early on, always professional. Very sad news.

• Love 1

I just saw where Brooke Baldwin will be off-air until after the election; her show will be hosted by Jake Tapper.  I think.  She said the decision was not hers.  Anyone else seen this?  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I just saw where Brooke Baldwin will be off-air until after the election; her show will be hosted by Jake Tapper.  I think.  She said the decision was not hers.  Anyone else seen this?  

Brooke has been MIA for the past two months, so this is not a surprise.  I do wonder why though!!!

Also, I was channel-surfing (trying to avoid anything Trump) & popped in on the last thirty seconds of Wolf Blitzer's show with Brian Stelter and Margaret Hoover with her (very handsome) hubby, John Avalon.  Bummer!!!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm giving the side-eye to Jeff Zucker in regards to Brooke's situation. He's known to be an asshole.  Jake Tapper makes me go "ugh" out loud. 

I think her New Year's Eve with Don Lemon put a target on HER back (not Don's) ... just sayin'.

On 10/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I think her New Year's Eve with Don Lemon put a target on HER back (not Don's) ... just sayin'.

That feels like it was so long ago that I forgot what happened.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I'm not sure if you're asking me to remind you, but they got pretty hammered & VERY silly.

I kinda remember that happening. Thanks for sparking my memory.  If that's what caused this change it's weird that CNN waited to long to make it. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I'm not sure if you're asking me to remind you, but they got pretty hammered & VERY silly.

IMO, Don Lemon isn't all that impressive when he & Cuomo have their OTT smug little chats each evening. But that's just me...not a fan. Interesting that only one person, Baldwin, "paid" for being hammered & silly.

• Love 1

I'm watching Chris Cuomo every night but it's irritating me.

I don't know where it's being aired from but the camera is so close to Chris's face that it gets creepy. And why is Chris always dressed like an undertaker?

Aside from that I like his guests and he's a decent interviewer. 

• Love 1

Chris Cuomo is the only one worth watching anymore, in my opinion.  I love Anderson Cooper but I cannot make it through any of his shows lately because in the last year or so he has developed a bad case of not being able to get the words out and stammers and sputters his way through the show.  Anyone else notice this?  I spend most of his show yelling, "spit it out, Anderson!" and then turn the channel and wait for Cuomo to come on.

Edited by Cementhead
spelling
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, Cementhead said:

Chris Cuomo is the only one worth watching anymore, in my opinion.  I love Anderson Cooper but I cannot make it through any of his shows lately because in the last year or so he has developed a bad case of not being able to get the words out and stammers and sputters his way through the show.  Anyone else notice this?  I spend most of his show yelling, "spit it out, Anderson!" and then turn the channel and wait for Cuomo to come on.

I've noticed this & wonder if Anderson is trying to talk too fast. Back in the late 90's, I noticed a change in the way the 20 & 30 somethings talked...waaayyy too fast. And the females were chirping (only way to describe it). The speedy talkers were talking so fast they were verbally stumbling over their words. He just needs to slow down.

The host who annoys me is Erin Burnett. She's smart and knows what she's doing. But her way too long hair is hanging all over the place plus, Erin seems to be huddling and sometimes almost mumbling (that might be due to the long hair & hunching over). It's always made me uncomfortable so I rarely watch her show. 

Edited by annzeepark914
On 10/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I've noticed this & wonder if Anderson is trying to talk too fast. Back in the late 90's, I noticed a change in the way the 20 & 30 somethings talked...waaayyy too fast. And the females were chirping (only way to describe it). The speedy talkers were talking so fast they were verbally stumbling over their words. He just needs to slow down.

The related thing that annoys me (and hosts and panelists can be guilty of it) is the refusal to bring a question or answer to a logical end. There always seems to be one more clause, one more clause. No breath taken to allow the perception of completion. It could be a millennial thing, although I've assumed it's more a matter of "I'M GOING TO CLAIM ALL THE REAL ESTATE I CAN, DAMMIT."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

If CNN is trying to lean more towards hard journalism during  the day Monday thru Friday, maybe that's why Brooke Baldwin is off the air.

But it would behoove CNN to give Brooke a weekend slot.  Hours and hours of Frederika Whitfield and Ana Cabrera are tiresome.  And both of them have become snarky and constantly interrupting the people they're interviewing.  JMO

• Love 4
On 10/22/2020 at 7:23 AM, tres bien said:

If CNN is trying to lean more towards hard journalism during  the day Monday thru Friday, maybe that's why Brooke Baldwin is off the air.

I think CNN couldn't find hard journalism if they leaned so far that they fell over and landed on it.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I think CNN couldn't find hard journalism if they leaned so far that they fell over and landed on it.

Well, if something  momentous happens, CNN is the network I put on immediately.  I think they do a good job of covering the news, especially Jim Acosta, Jake Tapper and Wolf Blitzer. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, if something  momentous happens, CNN is the network I put on immediately.  I think they do a good job of covering the news, especially Jim Acosta, Jake Tapper and Wolf Blitzer. 

I've done a deliberate comparison of many news outlets.  CNN is selectively biased  on what they report to a degree that is no different than any other outlet.  They, in my opinion, just have a better reputation than the others because they were the last to toss their journalistic standards out a window to be run over by a bus.

2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I've done a deliberate comparison of many news outlets.  CNN is selectively biased  on what they report to a degree that is no different than any other outlet.  They, in my opinion, just have a better reputation than the others because they were the last to toss their journalistic standards out a window to be run over by a bus.

So which network news do you think highly of?

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So which network news do you think highly of?

I haven't found any that I think very highly of.  I tend to watch a little of all of them and then go look up other sources to read about them and listen to podcasts and international news and see if I can find, if not non biased reporting, then enough sides of the story to make up my own mind.  I could be griping about any of them, honestly,  CNN just happened to be the thread I was reading here.

Someone told me that WGN America (News Nation) is counter programming and trying to present news in an unbiased way.  I haven't really watched it enough to recommend it.  But my initial reaction is that it feels more like news than any of the major news networks that seem more like partisan hacks screaming at everyone.  I haven't looked into it too much but it feels like they are curating stories from local news across the US and putting it into one program. But it still just feels like its just a version of the local news.

I think my brain is just stuck on some romantic idea of what the news/journalism is because I've seen too many movies and it annoys me that I can't find it.  And it annoys me more that it seems to be getting farther and farther away.  And it annoys me that it annoys me this much.