Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

She's leaving without another job? What the hey is really going on?

Yes. Somehow I wonder if Brooke wasn't forced out. The next day a whole slew of host changes were announced.

Edited by tres bien
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

She's leaving without another job? What the hey is really going on?

I am sad that Brooke is leaving CNN. I think it was a bad omen that she wasn't on tv covering the election .

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Jaded said:

It would have been better without the interminable bragging, self-aggrandizement, and false humility. Something more along the lines of: "To my loyal viewers, I want you to know that I will be leaving this post in April. And now the news."

• Love 1

I find this coverage bordering on irresponsible. 

Yesterday before any of the facts came out, CNN had on an array of sportscasters and sports journalists that were talking about Tiger in the past tense and recalling his life from age three.

It was truly over the top.

• Love 5

I actually heard one of the commentators trying to make a scandalous mystery out of the fact that he was driving early in the morning. "If he was going to a Sports Illustrated print shoot, why was he driving at such an early hour?" Idiot. Print shoots are often scheduled for the earliest morning hours, when the sun is low in the sky and the light is softer and more flattering.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

You know what?  Maybe he was going out for coffee; maybe he was going to the gym; maybe he had an appointment; maybe he needed groceries.  

I know! He had a right to be driving at that hour no matter what the reason! I just couldn't get over the idiocy of "why would he be driving that early if he was going to a print shoot on a golf course?" when that's exactly the hour you would be driving if you were on your way to a print shoot on a golf course.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, seasons said:

Is Chris Cuomo off the air until this investigation of Andrew is complete?

I heard he was on vacation, but I'm not sure if it's a legit vacation or a "vacation." 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

Hmm my cable program guide shows his show is scheduled to be back on Monday night.  Not sure how accurate that is though.

I like this Pamela Brown who has been subbing for Wolf this week.  Can we keep her, please?  Wolf annoys me and it would be nice to have more female anchors.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rcc said:

Pamela Brown has CNN weekend evening shows. She is very good. Her mother is the late Phyllis George.

And her father was the former Governor of KY.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:30 PM, RealHousewife said:

I heard he was on vacation, but I'm not sure if it's a legit vacation or a "vacation." 

I think it is legit. Nicholle has been off all week as well--spring break for their kids, I've seen mentioned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I have been tuning in to the 6-9 hour more and more lately...really liking the new pairing.  I liked Alyson C, too.  The show is lively, engaging, and both hosts are on their game.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have been tuning in to the 6-9 hour more and more lately...really liking the new pairing.  I liked Alyson C, too.  The show is lively, engaging, and both hosts are on their game.

Same here.  I watch about 10 minutes of Morning Joe out of habit, and then I switch over to CNN.  It's like a breath of fresh air.

• Love 2

I was switching channels (MSNBC & CNN) late this afternoon and thought I caught Jake Tapper saying something like "two hours!" Then, Wolf didn't appear until 6:00. So JT now has a 2 hour show and WB only has one hour? There was a time, not too long ago, when Blitzer was on *all* the time, it seemed. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was switching channels (MSNBC & CNN) late this afternoon and thought I caught Jake Tapper saying something like "two hours!" Then, Wolf didn't appear until 6:00. So JT now has a 2 hour show and WB only has one hour? There was a time, not too long ago, when Blitzer was on *all* the time, it seemed. 

Yes, Jake was on one of the talk shows a few weeks ago & said he'd be doing a 2 hour show.  I'm good with that.  (Can switch between him & Nicolle, depending who interests me more!)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Guess who's back? Jeffrey Toobin.

I have to wonder about CNN having him back on the air.  You would think there is a large pot of qualified legal experts (who are great on-camera, because tv news is sadly a visual mediumt) to pick from.  I have to wonder if they are concerned he would write a tell-all book about  behind-the-scenes happenings that would be embarrassing to the network?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have to wonder about CNN having him back on the air.  You would think there is a large pot of qualified legal experts (who are great on-camera, because tv news is sadly a visual mediumt) to pick from.  I have to wonder if they are concerned he would write a tell-all book about  behind-the-scenes happenings that would be embarrassing to the network?

I don't know about any behind the scenes stuff. What I do know is if I'm watching CNN & he pops up on the screen, I'm switching to MSNBC. Just writing that sentence was a challenge. I was in the comments section of the Washington Post earlier today where people (probably males) are having a field day via innuendos or whatever they're called (double entendres?) re: Toobin's return. And some are providing links to his court case when he tried to get out of paying child support to a woman he had an affair with (the creep offered to pay for an abortion & give her money for a sperm bank donor). 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know about any behind the scenes stuff. What I do know is if I'm watching CNN & he pops up on the screen, I'm switching to MSNBC. Just writing that sentence was a challenge. I was in the comments section of the Washington Post earlier today where people (probably males) are having a field day via innuendos or whatever they're called (double entendres?) re: Toobin's return. And some are providing links to his court case when he tried to get out of paying child support to a woman he had an affair with (the creep offered to pay for an abortion & give her money for a sperm bank donor). 

Networks cannot seem to shed their former "problematic" hosts.  Chris Matthews was on MSNBC today.  Grabbed the remote immediately; switched to CNN!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
Just now, Kemper said:

Networks cannot seem to shed their former "problematic" hosts.  Chris Matthews was on MSNBC today.  Grabbed the remote immediately; switched to CNN!

I kept wanting to go to CNN but MrP914 wanted to hear what CM had to say. It was exhausting!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Good for you!! I cringed at the way he talked to Nicolle Wallace. He's always struck me as a dirty old man. UGGH. 🤮

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, seasons said:

What happened with Don Lemon? He had some announcement a few weeks ago about some sort of change but I'm not seeing anything different.

I can't tell if this is serious or snark.  But I'll answer 

Don Lemon really needed his name to have top billing.

So the show was renamed to emulate a certain FOX news show.

And because he's all about the drama and not the news. 

He announced on a Friday that it was the end of the show/era (and tune in Monday to hear more) in a way that (he hoped) would get people to plead with him not to leave.  Even though he wasn't leaving because we aren't that lucky.  He probably is so in love with himself that he thought this might be a Coke/New Coke level situation that might bring viewers back when they were horrified over never seeing him on CNN again.

Then he "claimed" later that there was an outpouring concern over his departure (to which I call bullshit) and then he urged people to tune in Monday to see the changes.

Which is the title of the show, apparently.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Cannot stand Don Lemon.   I never watch his show.    Would never miss him.  He is the biggest whiny ninny on CNN.   He makes everything about himself.     CNN has many other talented reporters that could take his spot.    

Edited by MissT
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I can't tell if this is serious or snark.  But I'll answer 

Don Lemon really needed his name to have top billing.

So the show was renamed to emulate a certain FOX news show.

And because he's all about the drama and not the news. 

He announced on a Friday that it was the end of the show/era (and tune in Monday to hear more) in a way that (he hoped) would get people to plead with him not to leave.  Even though he wasn't leaving because we aren't that lucky.  He probably is so in love with himself that he thought this might be a Coke/New Coke level situation that might bring viewers back when they were horrified over never seeing him on CNN again.

Then he "claimed" later that there was an outpouring concern over his departure (to which I call bullshit) and then he urged people to tune in Monday to see the changes.

Which is the title of the show, apparently.

No snark intended!

Thanks for the info! 

• Love 1

I find both Lemon & Cuomo to be pompous. They always sound as though it's so wearying to try to educate their viewers. I tried to watch their shows but switched to reading the latest news online at the Washington Post & NY Times. 

• Love 6

I've also noticed another recent change at CNN, with the noon show Inside Politics being switched to Inside Politics with John King. So he's got his name in the title now, too 🙄

• LOL 1

Lemon & Cuomo have a mutual admiration society going that can be a bit off-putting and/or alienating to viewers at times. I don't dislike them but each of them can really get on my nerves if I let them for various reasons.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I've also noticed another recent change at CNN, with the noon show Inside Politics being switched to Inside Politics with John King. So he's got his name in the title now, too 🙄

That seems to be the goal of most cable news hosts.  I just wish CNN and MSNBC would give up a lot of the 1-hour shows during the daytime hours.  Have two hour blocks with multiple hosts, talking about multiple things.  Not one host repeating the same headlines as the other hosts, for every hour.   This network has managed to do something different with the specials ... the Late Night Wars, etc.  It makes for good tv and is an alternative for people who like the cable news format but don't want to listen to The Same Headlines! every hour unless a story is breaking.  So how about trying a different format (live) during the day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, Kemper said:

That seems to be the goal of most cable news hosts.  I just wish CNN and MSNBC would give up a lot of the 1-hour shows during the daytime hours.  Have two hour blocks with multiple hosts, talking about multiple things.  Not one host repeating the same headlines as the other hosts, for every hour.   This network has managed to do something different with the specials ... the Late Night Wars, etc.  It makes for good tv and is an alternative for people who like the cable news format but don't want to listen to The Same Headlines! every hour unless a story is breaking.  So how about trying a different format (live) during the day.

They won't because viewers are tuning in at different times all day and expect to be told what's going on in the world, brought up to speed, etc. Thus, the repeats every hour.

• Love 2

I agree, the news headlines need to be repeated in focus every hour.  And sometimes the Breaking News continues to change and shift every hour.  But they do not need to have the same format... and sometimes the same analysts and talking heads with the same story/words for 60 minutes.  If they would have two-hour blocks, I think the news/info would flow better.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thursday 8:56 PM. There he is...our zoom hero, Jeffrey Toobin. I actually gasped seeing him on TV. So...life goes on.

Eek.  I saw that too.  And then Anderson Cooper said ‘great to have you back’?!?!?  WT actual F was that??

8 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Eek.  I saw that too.  And then Anderson Cooper said ‘great to have you back’?!?!?  WT actual F was that??

Good grief. As soon as I saw his loathsome face, I tuned him out. I don't care what he has to say. AC didn't have to go overboard welcoming back the perv. Sheesh 

• Love 3

I had CNN on in the background this afternoon; and lo and behold, there was Alyson Camerota.  And she was fabulous!  Good humored, well prepped, quick on her feet.  She went back and forth on several stories.  She held her own when discussing Covid with a couple of retired NFL players.  They talked about the possible fallout with the league making teams forfeit games when players test positive for Covid - with so many players choosing not to get the vaccine.  The retired athletes were excellent and Alyson C rolled right with it.  And then.

Apparently Don Lemon will have a special on Sunday night that revolves around theme songs from sit coms through the years.  He came on and he and Alyson laughed, sang along with the tunes, cracked each other up.  THAT is what we sometimes need so badly in these days of sometimes very grim news.  It also made me want to watch the special.  So, CNN...kudos.

• Love 6

Listened to John King yesterday on Sirius in car.

He repeats things twice a lot, enough to annoy the hell out of me.

He repeats phrases within sentences.

Is he trying to be like an old-time radio reporter perhaps?

Chris Cuomo was on last night? I.missed it.

Did he address the issue with his brother?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

No, I think he’s not allowed to talk about it. Don Lemon went right into it though immediately after CC signed off.  Awkward.

Interesting. What a mess.

Thanks!

• Love 2