Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

On 4/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, ebk57 said:

Just saw a commercial - Stanley will be on starting May 1st! 

I wonder how long it will take to move the new season to HBO Max like they did the first season.  I would have waited, not to have to watch the commercials.

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Indeed quite fast; even Quibi managed to last longer. Surprising yet not. Even as Discovery/Warner was a few weeks from merging and CNN+ was a few weeks from launch, there was talk about possibly changing strategy. I think we might see some CNN+ shows on HBO Max at some point or at least the entertainment ones might go there, or possibly some future variation of CNN+ will be part of HBO Max or some Discovery+/HBO Max combo

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

CNN+ - we hardly knew ya!

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I think we might see some CNN+ shows on HBO Max at some point or at least the entertainment ones might go there, or possibly some future variation of CNN+ will be part of HBO Max or some Discovery+/HBO Max combo

Yeah everything I've read regarding the Discovery/Warner merge indicates that they're heading towards doing a single mega service rather than multiple niche services. Better to cut it now before wasting millions trying to make it last!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

CNN needs a radical restructuring. Either go full progressive or fire all of your hosts and put in hard news reporters. If there any of them left these days.

I'd like to see them go hard news, but the more I think about it, the less I think that's viable. How do you fill 4 prime time hours (not to say 24 daily hours) with hard news that feels important enough to a large audience? Every day has important hard news; but you can sum that up in about 10 minutes. After that, you pretty much have to discuss it--as distinct from reporting it--if you want to fill the rest of the hour. And discussing it means opinions, and punditry.

CNN once did fill its day with hard news. But on most days that meant about 80% of it wasn't all that important to a large audience. Which was a viable business model--as long as they were the only cable-news game in town. Which they're not anymore.

Maybe they need to continue in discussion mode, but go back to that Point Counterpoint model (I forget the name of their show that Jon Stewart complained about, but at least it was interesting) so that the discussion could actually be as ideologically balanced as CNN pretends to be. I don't mean going back to those awful Kelly Anne/Kaylie years; I don't want to see flacks again. But I would be interested to see knowledgable, serious people of opposing views doing battle.

Glad it's not my problem.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

Or was it Dan Ackyord and Jane You Ignorant Slut Curtain.

I believe that was based on 70s era 60 Minutes Point/Counterpoint segment with Shana Alexander/James Kilpatrick.

I’m not a regular news channel watcher but I’d tune in to CNN from time to time if they’d have some intelligent people calmly discussing their view points, not the screaming people that seem to be on any time I’d tune in to any news channel.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

I think Crossfire devolved from the Point/Counter Point on 60 minutes. They copied the concept and dumbed it down.

Wasn't Tucker on that for a while?

Tucker and Bill Press. That was back in TC's bowtie days when he wasn't spewing Putin Propaganda and other lies. It actually was an interesting show (most likely due to Bill Press, a true media professional & a good person).

• Love 6
On 4/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I believe that was based on 70s era 60 Minutes Point/Counterpoint segment with Shana Alexander/James Kilpatrick.

I’m not a regular news channel watcher but I’d tune in to CNN from time to time if they’d have some intelligent people calmly discussing their view points, not the screaming people that seem to be on any time I’d tune in to any news channel.  

I think news in general has suffered since the networks, if I understand correctly, have put the news division under "entertainment". That has led to the screaming and sensationalism, IMO.

I miss when we just got straight news without the histrionics. News shouldn't be about ratings, just information.

• Love 9

"First Day" memo from new CNN CEO Chris Licht:

Here's the text of the screenshot (converted via OCR):

Today is my first official day at CNN and I want to take a moment and express how proud and thrilled I am to be joining this world-class team. Over the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to meet and spend time with many of you in New York, DC, and Atlanta. There truly is no substitute for in-person interactions and I plan on making regular visits to our major locations around the world.

That said, given the conversations many of us have shared in recent days and our ongoing interactions, I realize how anticlimactic this "first day" note may seem to some of you. However, I did want to mark the occasion and share a few initial thoughts as we embark on this exciting journey together.

First off, I want to acknowledge the incredible work that Amy, Michael and Ken have done over the last few months, leading this extraordinary organization through various challenges, leadership changes, and, of course, the tragic conflict and humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. They have embodied the ethos I value most: put your head down, tune out the noise and do the quality work our viewers need from us now. They have met every situation with grit and professionalism, and, most importantly, they have worked tirelessly to keep our people safe. I am incredibly grateful for their leadership and will continue to lean on them in the coming days as I seek to learn more about our global organization.

It's an honor to lead this extraordinary team. CNN is the greatest and most respected news organization in the world because of you. It is a brand that was built over decades, and all of us are fortunate stewards of the bold vision of Ted Turner. I approach this job with humble confidence that together we can further bolster and grow what those three red letters have come to mean to people around the world.

My priority is to always be true to CNN's longstanding mission: "to inform, engage and empower the world." I will look at all decisions through the lens of: Is this good for the CNN brand? And as a leader, I believe I best serve this mission by making sure the right people are in charge and by empowering them to do their jobs as effectively as possible. You can be assured that will be my focus. I will be a very engaged consumer of our content, but I'm not here to get into the weeds of day-to­day editorial decision making. My goal is to support all of you in every way I can and not unnecessarily duplicate or undermine the efforts and leadership of the people running their part of the organization. I am here to set expectations, make the tough calls, fight for the resources you need, and remove any obstacles that keep you from doing your best work.

CNN must be a vital, relevant, and respected part of our culture. Sadly, too many people have lost trust in the news media. I think we can be a beacon in regaining that trust by being an organization that exemplifies the best characteristics of journalism: fearlessly speaking truth to power, challenging the status quo, questioning "group-think" and educating viewers and readers with straightforward facts and insightful commentary, while always being respectful of differing viewpoints. First and foremost, we should, and we will be advocates for the truth.

I am looking forward to sharing more of my vision with you in my first global town hall this Thursday, May 5 at 11 am ET. A link to join live will be distributed in the coming days. If you'd like to ask questions, you may submit them here. I'll answer as many as I can; transparency is very important to me.

I look forward to meeting and working with all of you and am genuinely excited to start this journey together.

Chris

• Love 3

My biggest fear is that he will bring Joe Scarborough over from MSNBC. I like the idea that CNN will be back to news; and not be personality driven.

• Love 2
On 5/2/2022 at 4:09 PM, Kemper said:

My biggest fear is that he will bring Joe Scarborough over from MSNBC. I like the idea that CNN will be back to news; and not be personality driven.

They can take him. Throw in aging hipster Ari Melber while they're at it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Toobin alert!  I turned on the news & there he was 🤮 during the Jim Acosta segment, being interviewed by a substitute anchor re: legal stuff. I figured the new powers that be at CNN would've dropped him as a legal consultant by now. 

• Love 1

It's looking like the CNN+ lifestyle shows and docs that were supposed to be shown on CNN+ might survive to be shown on CNN and possibly HBO Max. Eva Longoria's Searching for Mexico series will be shown on CNN linear in 2023. I think it's likely it will be streamed on HBO Max

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

There will be less "BREAKING NEWS" on CNN...

From The Daily Beast article:

Marking his first full month as the network’s chief executive, Licht informed staffers in a company-wide memo that the channel will follow new guidelines for deciding whether a story is truly breaking.

“Something I have heard from people both inside and outside the organization is complaints we overuse the ‘Breaking News’ banner,” Licht wrote in the memo, which was first reported by The New York Times. “I agree. It has become such a fixture on every channel and network that its impact has become lost on the audience.”

He also noted that CNN has added a new “Breaking News” guideline to its official stylebook. Licht further credited the network’s D.C. bureau chief Sam Feist with putting together the new rules. “It certainly will need tweaks, so we are open to feedback, but this is a great starting point to try to make ‘Breaking News’ mean something BIG is happening,” Licht wrote.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Just Here said:

“Something I have heard from people both inside and outside the organization is complaints we overuse the ‘Breaking News’ banner,” Licht wrote in the memo...

I love this because it's such bullshit. But good bullshit--coming from a smart guy who's doing the right thing. Just not for the reasons stated.

Namely, I'll eat my blitzer if anyone within the organization was complaining. If they'd been complaining enough, it would have stopped. It took a smart guy from outside to tell them what a laughing stock they were. But he's smart enough to couch it so it doesn't sound like he's calling them the bunch of pandering idiots that they are.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3
On 6/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

I am enjoying Laura Coates in the 9pm hour, she has a very calm presence & soft voice.  I do not care for the fill-ins over on MSNBC at 9pm, so I have taken to listening to Laura

Agree. It is like 90% of the anchors are on vacation at the same time.

It was actually refreshing to turn on CNN this morning and see some news other than search warrants. Climate, polios’s return in New York, news from Europe, attack on Salman Rushdie, etc. 

22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I read that Brian Stelter's show, Reliable Source, has been cancelled & that he's leaving the network. Does anyone know if there's more to the story? I've always liked him 

I would like to know the back-story too.  I really like Brian & his show "Reliable Sources" was one of the few that I made sure to watch every week.  I felt like he was fair & gave in-depth analysis of the reporting of the news.  He had on guests that I did not see over & over again on the other networks.  CNN claimed he was too 'partisan", but that is so Not true(he was always being attacked by the folks at FOX news).  I hope he finds a spot at MSNBC or somewhere else so his voice can continue being heard.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes, CNN supposedly dropped Brian as they're making a push to be less partisan, getting back to more news reporting.

This could be it, but I also read something that suggested Licht is placing his bet on Chris Wallace for a soon-to-come Sunday morning show, and maybe there's only room (and budget) for one such show.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just caught the last 15 minutes of Reliable Source. I hope Brian finds another position in TV. 

I was kinda hoping he'd burn the house down on his way out, but he's way too professional for that.  Ah well... 😄

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I was kinda hoping he'd burn the house down on his way out, but he's way too professional for that.  Ah well... 😄

No bridge-house-burning from this guy--he's too professional, as you said. Now, if it had been Keith Olbermann...🔥🤬👹🔥

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 3

I have been reading articles on what Chris Licht may have planned for the network. While I do enjoy that CNN can be more “news” oriented, it would seem that maybe there will be no real “teeth” left with so many changes. 

• Useful 1

CNN is getting more Republican by the minute. Anytime I've flipped over to them in the last couple of weeks they have more Republican guests and pundits yapping away.

They're not going to be Fox2 so I don't know why they're trying.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
10 hours ago, shok said:

CNN is getting more Republican by the minute. Anytime I've flipped over to them in the last couple of weeks they have more Republican guests and pundits yapping away.

They're not going to be Fox2 so I don't know why they're trying.

They're trying to be a bit more like they were in the early days of CNN--letting the facts tell the story.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 2
54 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They're trying to be a bit more like they were in the early days of CNN--letting the facts tell the story.

I think this is all to the good as long as the Republicans aren't flacks of the Kellyanne and Maca-ninny persuasion.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

If only they were. I'd love to have an all-news channel. But CNN is all opinion, not news coverage.

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Last night I caught a bit of Don Lemon and on the ticker at the bottom they referred to Native Americans as “American Indians”.  Is that still an acceptable term?  I thought not?

I bet that got CNN a mega reaction. Who the heck *are* these people typing the chyrons, or whatever they're called? They obviously need a proofreader before it goes on our screens.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I bet that got CNN a mega reaction. Who the heck *are* these people typing the chyrons, or whatever they're called? They obviously need a proofreader before it goes on our screens.

Hubby and I always blame it on "the interns."  The interns also can't spell because typos have also become a regular thing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1