Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm weaning myself off CNN ... too many commercials, not enough programming/content.  (Wastes my time unless it's recorded!!)

I'm with you.  95% of their ad money clearly comes from the pharmaceutical industry since it's nothing but commercials for pill after magical pill.  The other 5% is from Phil Swift, Pooph and Booking.com.  I think I see these ads in my sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hate the pharma ads. At least the Pooph ads are so awful that they are entertaining. Shill drinks it? Sprays it in his face? Talks like a maniacal spokesperson while shilling? I can’t help but think that the ads are purposely terrible. Maybe the pharma ads pay well? And I am easily entertained. I am still tuning in - more than MSNBC. A radical change for me.

• Sad 1

I turned on CNN around 10:15 or so. Anchor Abby Phillips was leading a really good discussion about what happened today in Congress. I am not familiar with the panel other than S E Cupp. But it was an easy, informative group and anchor. Then…after about 10minutes or so….the show switched to Kaitlin Collins interviewing a different panel. Then. Another anchor- maybe Laura Coates? took over with another panel. All this in one hour? This last panel was terrible for awhile: overtalking each other, interrupting, loud, etc. Ms. Coates finally told them to basically settle down. Wow, what a merry-go-round of anchors and reporters. Is this every night?

Unpopular opinion: I just haven’t been able to warm up to Kaitlyn Collins. And I have no idea why. I do like Abby Phillips. I haven’t seen enough of Laura Coates so have no opinion. She did manage, finally, to reign in the panel. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

I turned on CNN around 10:15 or so. Anchor Abby Phillips was leading a really good discussion about what happened today in Congress. I am not familiar with the panel other than S E Cupp. But it was an easy, informative group and anchor. Then…after about 10minutes or so….the show switched to Kaitlin Collins interviewing a different panel. Then. Another anchor- maybe Laura Coates? took over with another panel. All this in one hour? This last panel was terrible for awhile: overtalking each other, interrupting, loud, etc. Ms. Coates finally told them to basically settle down. Wow, what a merry-go-round of anchors and reporters. Is this every night?

Unpopular opinion: I just haven’t been able to warm up to Kaitlyn Collins. And I have no idea why. I do like Abby Phillips. I haven’t seen enough of Laura Coates so have no opinion. She did manage, finally, to reign in the panel. 

It was confusing. Jake Tapper was anchor of a panel. Then Anderson Cooper. Then back to Jake. I just don't like panel discussions and prefer the Deadline WH style of one or two at the studio and two or three on Zoom. This way there's no talking over each other. I like Kaitlin. She's always serious & focused. And no irritating quirks: hair hanging over face (Wagner), no listing downward toward her desk (Burnett), no giggles (Wallace), no noisy inhaling (Mitchell), no neverending cheery perkiness (Psaki). Hmmm...I think I'm done😏

• Like 3
7 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I always enjoy watching Anderson & Andy on New Years Eve...they are a Hoot!  They just have a funny vibe between each other & the stories they tell...

At least they appeared sober this year. A few years ago, they were totally hammered, and the show went completely off the rails.  

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I watched a little of this show & ABC's. Anderson seemed a bit embarrassed by Andy's exuberance (or was I imagining this?)

Anderson is always embarrassed by Andy :)

4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

At least they appeared sober this year. A few years ago, they were totally hammered, and the show went completely off the rails.  

The Head Honchos at CNN were 'not amused" several years ago by A&A drinking, but this year they limited their drinking to one drink at the top of each hour, and Anderson would make the most awful faces after having a drink, lol.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I really enjoyed the show this year to the point where my husband and I never changed the channel, just stayed on it. I love how Andy got hammered and Anderson didn't seem drunk at all. But the best part was John Mayor and the cats ;). Andy asked something along the lines of where do you think you'll be in 2024. And John's response "you may find yourself surrounded by cats." I'm paraphrasing but I found it really funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

OMG, Paul Anka??!!

My first (and only) thought was: are they aware that so many of these older singers have lost their voices? Or, do they not really care and this was supposed to be a NYE treat for us non-young viewers?  I still love his hit song, Lonely Boy. Great music, great (then) voice, and sweet lyrics.

🎵Somebody somebody somebody please, send her to me🎵

We kids loved singing that part as he was dramatically pleading--and so were we. Of course we subbed "send him to me" 😁

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

@Acmeproducts I disagree, they are still standing at the beginning of most shows I watch, which is during the evening hours. 

I will admit, I turn off when Abby Phillip comes on (can't stand her studdering plus doe eyes) and Laura Coates (too harsh a voice).

• Applause 1
18 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

@Acmeproducts I disagree, they are still standing at the beginning of most shows I watch, which is during the evening hours. 

I will admit, I turn off when Abby Phillip comes on (can't stand her studdering plus doe eyes) and Laura Coates (too harsh a voice).

The morning and afternoon shows had them standing throughout most of the show. That is gone now. 

5 hours ago, tres bien said:

For me I don't care how many times they rearrange the deck chairs there so few shows I will watch anymore 

I just wish CNN would mostly return to its original format--all day news with occasional discussion panels. Plus, Jake Tapper & Jim Acosta *always* look (& sound) so pi$$ed off. Let us decide whether or not we want to get all riled up with the news...that's not your place to join in.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

CNN came through today with its coverage of the lunar landing. As far as I could tell, it seemed neither Fox or MSNBC covered it live; if at all. It was wonderful viewing and seeing the enthusiasm of the on-air news people - they even had William Shatner on. I had forgotten he went up.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 1

Well it took awhile but I finally have gotten to the point where I can’t watch MSNBC anymore. So I flip over to CNN and the have Brianna Keilar on who I know and like. But her cohost is this guy Boris Sanchez who I’ve never seen before and let me tell you….he is a handsome man. Why have I been wasting my time getting angry at Katy Tur when I could have been watching this duo the whole time?!  

• Like 4
(edited)

We're watching CNN more, from 4:00-6:00 M-F now that the big, cackling laugher is back. She's louder & more irritating than ever. Just wish someone other than Tapper was the host during these hours.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I must say that I am enjoying the revamped morning show.  Not just one person is talking most of the time and I am getting a lot of news that is not constantly politiical.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1