Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

This sounds like a mess of ideas.

CNN Zeroes In On Primetime Show With Gayle King And Charles Barkley (New article about this)

CNN is zeroing in on Gayle King and Charles Barkley to host a weekly primetime show for the network, as chairman and CEO Chris Licht aims to revitalize the ratings-challenged nighttime lineup.

The Wall Street Journal reported that a deal with King is being finalized, but sources said that talks are ongoing with the two personalities.

The intent has been to add an extra bit of star power to its 9 PM ET primetime hour, which has lacked a permanent host since Chris Cuomo was fired in December, 2021. That time slot has been among the most competitive on cable news.

King and Barkley would be a bit of an unconventional choice for the slot, but the plans also would go against the cable news trend of scheduling a five-night-a-week personality in primetime hours. CNN is said to have talked to two dozen or so names about filling at least one night a week in that time slot, with plans to fill remaining nights with special events like town halls and “big get” interviews with the network’s team of correspondents.

In talking about primetime, Licht has said that he views competition as all forms of media and entertainment competing for viewers’ time, suggesting a bit of different thinking for the nighttime hours. Barkley, who signed a new contract with CNN-parent Warner Bros. Discovery last year, himself has publicly confirmed that he was talking to the network about a show with King.

• Sad 1
(edited)

Let's see if they still keep him with the release of this expose from Variety. I'm more than peeved that he's been there this long after reading about behavior that started in the mid 2000's. It started at CNN then, he could have been the same way at jobs he had before landing on a national network.

Don Lemon’s Misogyny at CNN, Exposed: Malicious Texts, Mocking Female Co-Workers and ‘Diva-Like Behavior’

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

Let's see if they still keep him with the release of this expose from Variety. I'm more than peeved that he's been there this long after reading about behavior that started in the mid 2000's. It started at CNN then, he could have been the same way at jobs he had before landing on a national network.

Don Lemon’s Misogyny at CNN, Exposed: Malicious Texts, Mocking Female Co-Workers and ‘Diva-Like Behavior’

What a tool. CNN needs to dump him. If they don't do something this time, then they're saying, "It's ok to mock women".

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is CNN testing Kaitlyn Collins in the 9:00 PM slot?

Is she getting any sleep?  Does she ever get to go home?  Because every time I turn on CNN she is on-air.  It definitely feels like she is being primed for bigger things.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I hope CNN will give this time slot to Kaitlyn (or someone else equally as serious and smart).  Wagner and Psaki should observe Kaitlyn (who's probably younger than both of them, but she just has "it" for a credible, TV news talk show anchor). 

• Like 3

I saw this tweet on the Twitter ( 🙃) today. It made me think that if they were planning on revamping their morning show anyway they could have moved a shortened Morning Express over to the mothership. It would have saved CNN from having the public find out just how bad Don Lemon has been BTS for what looks to be years now while still hanging onto his job. 

Edited by Jaded
I reworded some of my post after rereading the original from last night
  • Like 3

A two for one special kind of day so far. It took almost a billion dollars for one to finally go. In regards to Lemon The expose done by Variety a couple weeks ago revealing what he's really been like BTS and not just on air for the years he's be at CNN was probably a part of this. Don is acting like it came as a complete surprise to him though so I wonder if the two weeks was the time it took CNN to get their ducks in a row first. I'm sure his friend Chris will try to get him a job at NewsNation. Heck maybe they can co-host one together. Chris is now entertaining guests along the likes of Bill O’Reilly.

NYT paywall blocked me. Here's a TVLine article  about Don's firing and a Daily Beast one too.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, tres bien said:

In an attempt to boost ratings, I guess, CNN has managed to sink an entire network.

Once Brianna Keiler and John Berman were dumped off the morning show, I never tune in till 2 pm. On good note Brianna Golodryga has been co-hosting with Victor Blackwell for two hours.

Didn't someone post not long ago that Victor was going to be relocated again?

I just found this discussion after wondering what in the world is going on at CNN.  The main thing that hit me was this post and Brianna Golodryga.  Her appearing on air back whenever was the first time I stopped watching CNN.  She was like an AI.  Shut all facial expression when not talking  and super rapid blinks that made me start yawning for some reason.  She has improved but I change channels anytime I see her on air.  Of course I'm changing the channel frequently now when CNN was usually running in the background all day.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who filled in for Jake Tapper this afternoon? She's very good. I usually avoid CNN at this time Monday-Friday because I don't care for Tapper (especially his whiny voice...can't believe he grew up in NYC!)

I don't have an answer to who she was. I looked at the clips on the show's Twitter account and didn't see her name mentioned in any of them. Here's a list of CNN talent if you want to see if it's any help in identifying who she is. I tried looking and felt like I started to go through some temporary face blindness at some point as weird as that sounds. I have no idea who most of those people are so that may have something to do with it too.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I don't have an answer to who she was. I looked at the clips on the show's Twitter account and didn't see her name mentioned in any of them. Here's a list of CNN talent if you want to see if it's any help in identifying who she is. I tried looking and felt like I started to go through some temporary face blindness at some point as weird as that sounds. I have no idea who most of those people are so that may have something to do with it too.

Glorioski 😳 you ain't kidding! I went through the group of photos and all I can say is...there are a *lot* of long-haired brunettes who could've been the 4:00 PM sub for Jake today. Whoever she is, she's very good (& her personality didn't intrude on the show).

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Glorioski 😳 you ain't kidding! I went through the group of photos and all I can say is...there are a *lot* of long-haired brunettes who could've been the 4:00 PM sub for Jake today. Whoever she is, she's very good (& her personality didn't intrude on the show).

I noticed the menu up top and after choosing the "worldwide faces" option I was presented with anchors, reporters and staff". It was a bit easier to narrow things down with everyone separated into groups since it made the anchor group a manageable size to look through. I think the woman subbing today was Bianna Golodryga. I think.... 🙃

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I noticed the menu up top and after choosing the "worldwide faces" option I was presented with anchors, reporters and staff". It was a bit easier to narrow things down with everyone separated into groups since it made the anchor group was a manageable size to look through. I think the woman subbing today was Bianna Golodryga. I think.... 🙃

Yup! You got it. She really is excellent, much like Kaitlan Collins. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I like his radio show on POTUS Sirius XM. Didn't know he was on CNN on weeknights now. Is it a trial run?

No idea. Kaitlan Collins was on last week.  Both are good. So, maybe this is a trial run for several of their on air talent.  

• Useful 1

I'm watching Smerconish interview RFK Jr., who's running for the Democratic presidential nomination.  Without bringing politics into it, I can understand why his family doesn't want him to run.  Healthwise, he doesn't look or sound well at all.   

• Like 2
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, where is John King going? I'll watch Dana Bash any day over Andrea Mitchell. Andrea always sounds asthmatic, gasping for air between sentences (maybe it's her mic, but others don't seem to sound like this).

Evidently he'll have a new assignment focusing on voters in battleground states leading up to the 2024 election. But what happens after the election?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, tres bien said:

Evidently he'll have a new assignment focusing on voters in battleground states leading up to the 2024 election. But what happens after the election?

Yes, that has to be worrisome for him (unless he knows). He's just OTT bland (not his fault).  John is the extreme opposite of Mehdi Hasan. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I like John. He is always very good working the board election time, also hosting the noon hour. Not a fan of his ex-wife. No longer watching CNN noontime.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What I don't like are the comments I've seen in a couple articles that predict this is a make or break event for Kaitlan. I won't be watching but I hope she does well.

I hope Kaitlan won't be put in that position but sadly I'm sure the haters will hate.

I won't watch but I'm sure analysis of it will be all over social media 

• Like 2

What I want to know …. did this Bring in the Ratings as much as the network cravingly hoped? I don’t see how it can ever get the stink off from this debacle. Also - tons of criticism (online) for Kaitlin Collins for agreeing to do it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

Also - tons of criticism (online) for Kaitlin Collins for agreeing to do it. 

What did she/the network do??

ETA: never mind I looked it up.  Yikes. I feel badly for Kaitlyn but she probably did the best she could. I don’t really watch CNN but I like her.  I wish she would go over to NBC. She would fit in will at NBC News Now. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, tres bien said:

(according to social media) CNN is in full blown damage control 🤣

I wonder what Ted Turner thinks of all that's imploding. Or if his illness has him blissfully ignorant.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ted Turner must be rolling in his grave.

I just checked and he's still alive (cause I thought the same thing!!). Unfortunately, he has the same form of dementia that Robin Williams had. Ted was kicked out of Brown in his Junior year for having a female in his room. My...how times have changed since the late 50's 😎.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1