Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just checked and he's still alive (cause I thought the same thing!!). Unfortunately, he has the same form of dementia that Robin Williams had. Ted was kicked out of Brown in his Junior year for having a female in his room. My...how times have changed since the late 50's 😎.

D'OH! I could have sworn I read that he'd passed on. Let me go edit my post then!

So sad to hear what he's going through.

• Sad 2
19 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Kaitlin was as good as anybody could be.

Congrats, CNN. You took a slowly failing network and made it fail faster.

Before Katlin was CNN's rising star she worked as a reporter for The Daily Caller. She was a regular on FOX and happy to spread disparaging lies about George Soros.

Way to go Katlin

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
6 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Before Katlin was CNN's rising star she worked as a reporter for The Daily Caller. She was a regular on FOX and happy to spread disparaging lies about George Soros.

That explains a lot.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That explains a lot.

Hmm. Is it possible she merely put on a performance of asking tough questions, then strategically failed to follow them up with evidence when he lied? This is starting to make me think that.

• Like 3

After CNN dumped John Berman and Brianna Keiler's morning show I turned off CNN and haven't ever turned it back on.

But what I've seen on social media it seems they've thrown everyone under the bus to try and justify their cluster fuck.

What an embarrassment for Anderson Cooper to sit in front of a camera and read a hostage statement. He's better than that. Better than CNN. Although the statement said it's my fault not CNN's.

Great. Go to hell

• Like 9
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

The FOXifing of CNN 

Previously I thought Chris Licht was trying to move CNN closer to the center. But the firing of Tucker Carlson changed everything. CNN now smells "blood in the water" and sees an opportunity to bite off a chunk of the Fox audience. So, yeah.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He either secretly wanted out or he's so oblivious and arrogant that he didn't actually think that "The Atlantic" article would do him in. I meant to post a summary of that article from one of the sites that did one then would forget. Doesn't look like that's needed now. It's bad when you have employees at a TV network having to report on their own place of in the way those at CNN have had to do.

• Like 1

More like he thought that if he could survive the initial outcry with the usual "I apologize for my behavior, I'm going to do better, etc." then he'd be able to weather the storm.  That's the playbook in general, but obviously he had built up such so many problems there was no way he could stay.

• Like 3

I heard about the missing submersible in the North Atlantic. I flipped on CNN and sure enough they were covering it. MSNBC was All Trump as usual. If CNN is smart (yes, I know) they will give this story the big push - it is fascinating; and I pray not tragic.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Kemper said:

I heard about the missing submersible in the North Atlantic. I flipped on CNN and sure enough they were covering it. MSNBC was All Trump as usual. If CNN is smart (yes, I know) they will give this story the big push - it is fascinating; and I pray not tragic.

CNN *should* be 24 hour news. That's how it started out. And it was news from around the world. I can't remember how MSNBC started. Was it 24 hour news or was it more political talk shows/news all along?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

CNN *should* be 24 hour news. That's how it started out. And it was news from around the world. I can't remember how MSNBC started. Was it 24 hour news or was it more political talk shows/news all along?

That is a good question … has it always been 24/7 politics? There seems to be a lack of well-seasoned reporters who can handle “Breaking News” of all sorts and from all places. I know that the network has been surging in the ratings lately - and that politics is their bread and butter. 

Embarrassing coverage of Modi this AM, while anthems of both India and US played correspondent continued to talk over India's anthem, but as soon as S-SB started it was, "Let's listen in..."

• Mind Blown 2

I have sporadically tuned back in to CNN lately. I can’t always go with MSNBC’s all-Trump-all the time News - it can be exhausting. Mornings have Poppy something and a guy who looks kind of like a young Johnny Carson. That I watch surprises even me.

20 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I have sporadically tuned back in to CNN lately. I can’t always go with MSNBC’s all-Trump-all the time News - it can be exhausting. Mornings have Poppy something and a guy who looks kind of like a young Johnny Carson. That I watch surprises even me.

We do this in late afternoon, starting out with Deadline WH but switching over to CNN whenever it feels like NW & guests are going on a bit too long about stuff. I noticed this new person & wondered who he is. 

• Like 1

I like the anchor of the 9 Central slot. (The one that goes up against Lawrence.) I don't know her name, I only know her as "the smart young black woman with great eyebrows and an appealing manner." But I like that I don't know her name. It makes her time segment not about her, but about the news, which is what CNN should be. The chyrons don't shout that what I'm watching is "The [Name of Personality] Show." And that makes her, ironically, a great host.

Her questions are intelligent, to the point, and seldom long-winded. (I.e., not about proving to the audience anything about herself.) She seems genuinely interested in what her guests have to say, even when it might surprise her. I have no idea who's running CNN now, but I like what's happening if this show is an omen.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I like the anchor of the 9 Central slot. (The one that goes up against Lawrence.) I don't know her name, I only know her as "the smart young black woman with great eyebrows and an appealing manner." But I like that I don't know her name. It makes her time segment not about her, but about the news, which is what CNN should be. The chyrons don't shout that what I'm watching is "The [Name of Personality] Show." And that makes her, ironically, a great host.

Her questions are intelligent, to the point, and seldom long-winded. (I.e., not about proving to the audience anything about herself.) She seems genuinely interested in what her guests have to say, even when it might surprise her. I have no idea who's running CNN now, but I like what's happening if this show is an omen.

Her name is Abby Phillips. I just read yesterday that CNN is coming back to life now that Chris Licht is gone. 

• Like 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

Mornings have Poppy something and a guy who looks kind of like a young Johnny Carson. 

I don't watch CNN mornings but think that is John Berman. He has been around CNN for awhile and occasionally fills in for Anderson Cooper. I agree he is a good anchor.

13 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I think you are talking about Laura Coates (if you mean 10pm eastern). She was originally a CNN legal analyst with aspirations to become host of the 10pm Eastern slot. For a while this winter after Don Lemon was terminated, she and Alyson Camerota took an hour each. Ultimately CNN decided to go with Alyson for permanent host of 10pm-12 am eastern slot and keeping Laura as legal analyst. I like this move. While she can be engaging, Laura (like Don Lemon), cannot read a teleprompter to save her life! As legal analyst she doesn't have to. That being said, she was a fill in earlier this week

As I was typing, this post popped up

32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Her name is Abby Phillips. I just read yesterday that CNN is coming back to life now that Chris Licht is gone. 

I think that is a Sunday morning show. Abby used to have more mms than I could stomach, getting better, but personally my opinion is she is attractive, but not particularly intelligent.

I DO agree CNN is better with Chris Licht gone. It's like a breath of life into the station. I predict no more Trump town halls and more news - they cancelled all weekend non-news programming (Chris Wallace, The Whole Story, 2010's) to focus on Russia (in hindsight probably not needed). Anderson Cooper went to Newfoundland and Erin Burnett is now in Ukraine.

Edited by luv2lurk
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Kemper said:

That's Phil Mattingly.  He's their Chief White House correspondent. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

I think you are talking about Laura Coates (if you mean 10pm eastern). She was originally a CNN legal analyst with aspirations to become host of the 10pm Eastern slot.

Hi @luv2lurk. I googled Laura Coates and Abby Phillip (from @annzeepark914's post) just to see what both of them look like. The 10 Eastern host I'm raving about is Abby Phillip. I hope it's a permanent gig for her.

Here's a nice bio of her that I found.

• Like 4
(edited)

Who is subbing for Anderson this week? I like Anderson, but he's hard to listen to as he starts, stops, and stumbles over his words (like Alexander Vindman). 

Just noticed in a previous post that John Berman fills in for Anderson. But he doesn't look at all like his photo at CNN.com.  Anyway...he's really good.

Edited by annzeepark914
On 6/28/2023 at 8:03 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Hi @luv2lurk. I googled Laura Coates and Abby Phillip (from @annzeepark914's post) just to see what both of them look like. The 10 Eastern host I'm raving about is Abby Phillip. I hope it's a permanent gig for her.

Here's a nice bio of her that I found.

I like Abby Phillip too...she has a calm demeanor and pleasant way with her guests.   Same with Laura Coates, very calm & professional...neither one gets hyper & argumentative.  

• Like 3

There is one thing that CNN excels at …. Breaking News. I am not sure any network can do it better. Last night when the Ohio abortion vote/referendum became final (around 10:pm) CNN covered it; (they did switch to Trump news as soon as they could); MSNBC kept covering the Trump legal stories and did not mention Ohio until 45 minutes in to their 10pm show. This was a huge story.

Today the network was on top of the fire in Hawaii; MSNBC mostly featured their analysts analyzing Trump legal news.

There must be a way for this network to do what they do best and not keep obsessing over hosts and the drama that can burst open. The network owners also should keep their fingers off which way the news should be slanted. Hire smart news people…on-air, producers, reporters, etc. Pare down the number of analysts all spouting pretty much the same thing.

• Like 4

I don't watch CNN anymore but I agree that's really the go to network if you want to know what's going on in the world. I was sorry to read that Christine Romans left a couple of weeks ago.  

I was watching Chris Hayes (7-8 CT) last night when he mentioned that the AP had called the Ohio election for the No's 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

There must be a way for this network to do what they do best and not keep obsessing over hosts and the drama that can burst open.

They're running out of people to audition for the morning show. Next week they're giving CameraOp1 a chance to co-host.

• LOL 4
On 8/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, Kemper said:

Today the network was on top of the fire in Hawaii; MSNBC mostly featured their analysts analyzing Trump legal news.

Couldn't agree more that CNN is the place for breaking news. At this point, I'm pretty sure MSNBC views its all-Trump-all-the-time slant as a feature, not a bug. I'm sure the TPTB over there have long concluded there's no way they can beat CNN at its own game.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Couldn't agree more that CNN is the place for breaking news. At this point, I'm pretty sure MSNBC views its all-Trump-all-the-time slant as a feature, not a bug. I'm sure the TPTB over there have long concluded there's no way they can beat CNN at its own game.

ITA.  MSNBC has gotten so politics focused that when the Maui fires were the top story Morning Joe opened their show with Trump's legal woes chasing me back to CNN which I hadn't watched since the overhaul many months ago 

• Like 2
On 8/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, annzeepark914 said:

But was MSNBC ever meant to be round-the-clock news as CNN initially was? I remember CNN in its early days as being all news all day long (no talk shows) but that has certainly changed.

Here's the thing with MSNBC. After many years it seems they decided the best way to compete is not to be in the same lane as CNN. Ratings wise it works they pretty much bury CNN. 

But they also focus almost exclusively on politics

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Here's the thing with MSNBC. After many years it seems they decided the best way to compete is not to be in the same lane as CNN. Ratings wise it works they pretty much bury CNN. 

But they also focus almost exclusively on politics

Having worked & volunteered for (& being related to) politicians, this is right up my alley 😁. But I also need CNN to know what else is going on in the world (+ my local news). CNN just announced their new line up. Looks promising.

• Like 1

I dipped my toes back into CNN and watched Kaitlyn Collins interviewing the mayor of Miami who's running for president.

Why CNN anointed her their wunderkind is a mystery to me.

On the other hand I'm very happy for Kasie Hunt and looking forward to her taking over the 6am show. About time that did right by her.

It'll be a pleasure not to watch Jonathan Lemire

8 hours ago, tres bien said:

I dipped my toes back into CNN and watched Kaitlyn Collins interviewing the mayor of Miami who's running for president.

Why CNN anointed her their wunderkind is a mystery to me.

On the other hand I'm very happy for Kasie Hunt and looking forward to her taking over the 6am show. About time that did right by her.

It'll be a pleasure not to watch Jonathan Lemire

I agree about Kaitlyn Collins - it seems the network went into overdrive promoting her. She seems fine but doesn’t maybe have the “seasoning” as others. I felt a little badly for her when the network pushed hard for her Trump interview. Why has CNN fumbled so often lately on personnel issues? I will also be watching Kasie. She is smart, cool-headed, and can think on her feet.

• Like 3

I posted on MSNBC board about the Kaitlyn Collins show because I wanted to quote myself.

I just find it head scratching that even with CNN'S turmoil they have plenty of decent reporters and show hosts and this being prime time that this is the best they can do.

On another note I will definitely be tuning into Kasie Hunt's show 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

I posted on MSNBC board about the Kaitlyn Collins show because I wanted to quote myself.

I just find it head scratching that even with CNN'S turmoil they have plenty of decent reporters and show hosts and this being prime time that this is the best they can do.

On another note I will definitely be tuning into Kasie Hunt's show 

Yeah, they have gone overboard in pushing Kaitlyn C. It isn’t her fault; the promos for her/her show and her hair seem never ending. Too bad they don’t seem interested in promoting some of the other show hosts all that much. I am shocked, sometimes, when I turn on CNN and there is a host that I like who I didn’t realize had a show. Wow, that was a word salad. 🤓

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1